CAGcast #343: A Fan of Yours

They did do that episode about how to "fix" PS3. As someone who was enjoying his PS3 quite a bit at the time, it did seem pretty pro-Xbox. And that's fine. You guys prefer playing on Xbox. It's not a big deal.

The Internet is full of wackos, though. That much is certain.

Wombats crying on the podcast about KI, and completely transparent attempts to reach out to major nelson on twitter are equally hilarious and gross. you can just tell it eats at his very soul that people other than him are getting things for free. it's funny because he was just talking about how he has zero interest in KI a few weeks ago, and now he can't stand that other people are getting it free. Also the bitching on twitter about not being invited to the sony press event (because you know everyone there is getting free PS4s), it's all just becoming obnoxious. I say this as a big fan of the CAGcast for a long time. Have you no shame man?

Man I f'in love you guys! Don't change a thing!

And Cheapy, you go right ahead and put all the ads you want on the site. I'll click through every damn one of them to support the site. If every CAG gave back even 1% of the money you've saved us all, Mrs. Cheapy could easily fall asleep while you drove her and Tai around in a new Tesla. We all owe you. Not vice versa.

You do what's best for your family Cheapy! Don't miss out on that Black Friday hit traffic. Go to a paid subscription model if you have to. It's all good to us. We're CAGs for life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the show, and I agree with you guys. I never really thought about it but it does seem that you don't get angry messages from Xbox fans because the complaints you guys do seem to have are ones that an Xbox fan would have. Examples: ads on the dashboard not being family friendly, the XboxOne not coming with a headset at first(great twitter campaign to get one in the box btw), Kinect sucking(well Wombat is right nobody likes Kinect), "I didn't get a KI code because I'm not loyal enough!," Major Nelson is not on twitter and is on a Van tour.

Have to wait and see what the future will hold for all of these consoles, it should be interesting the next few years. I'll be getting them all eventually just have to wait out on a good price or bundle that is offered for each system.

As for the Ads, Cheapy put them on the site and the mobile one as well. You don't want to miss out on revenue that can add to your family's piece of mind.

I started listing to you lot back at the start of last year and this is one of the best podcast i have listened to from you guys!

Cheapy ignore the hate!

On the old site the ads slowed down the page (the page had to load the ad before enabling scroll down) and it was annoying.

In general though, unobtrusive ads don't bother me and it wouldn't change my visiting this site any less.

Also, the sound levels in the podcast are really done well, and it's appreciated.

I see Cheapy tweeted he was right again when it comes to insisting that you can't assume more powerful hardware means a game will work better. I look forward to Cheapy applying this same level of foresight in the future by not explaining he'll get the PCPCPC version of a game because it'll clearly play better.

I guess we'll find out.

Wombats thoughts often feel out of control and capricious. Too reactionary for my tastes but it adds to the charm.

Wombat, 

I've run the Killer Instinct fan site (www.killerinstinctonline.net) since 2006.  We get many thousands of unique visitors a day.  I've been a member of Xbox Live for over 7 years and own 5 Xbox 360's (all working).  My gamerscore isn't huge, its 46,354 but I use my Xbox everyday.  For TV (media center), games, netflix etc.  

I'm essentially giving Microsoft lots of free advertising, we track the news, send email alerts about news and are pushing the game via Twitter.  I feel confident in saying I will have sold at least a few copies of KI at launch.  Sure they can't tell I run the site just by my GT, I think it is in my profile.

​Did I get an email for a free Killer Instinct?!  

NO!  Mr. Shipwreck got one, the guy who thinks Fulcrum is going to be part of the roster!

As far as the Sony fans go...I don't want any trouble but some of them truly are rabid.  I used to chat on gaming forums but you literally can't anymore if you're an Xbox fan.  You can be in the Xbox section and get attacked.  I can afford all the consoles but next gen I think I'll stick to Xbox One.  Last gen PS3 didn't impress me, I bought one but never bought a game.  I don't have a ton of game time and just don't need multiple consoles.  You can count on being verbally attacked if you say anything remotely negative about Sony's products.  I've only ever thought it could be a "fight for the underdog" thing.  After the PS3 started off so badly the PS fans took a beating in the forums.  Once Sony got the PS3 at the right place and MS backed off the exclusives the PS fans went ape shit.  From that point they've been just plain hateful towards anyone who opposes them.  I couldn't believe when I saw the Sony Defense Force website, I hoped it was a joke.  Sony doesn't do a great job at advertising but they almost don't need to.  Gamestop is often staffed by these people.  I refuse to go there so I'm not hassled to preorder everything under the sun at retail price.  My cousin went in to pre-order an Xbox and basically was told the PS4 was better and you shouldn't waste your money.  He never ended up pre-ordering anything because of their pushy nature.   

Disclaimer: Not all Sony fans are crazy, unfortunately the ones who are come off at the loudest and drown out normal fans. Gamestop employees are also not all like this but I do stand by the statement about being over bearing on pre-order offers.

laughed out loud so hard at vagina clown.

yeah i agree there is no sense at comparing the launch games. they're already delaying watchdogs and they wanted to delay battlefield so they're definitely not pushing either to their limit. just look at how much better our games are now comapred to where they were at the launch of the ps3.

im holding off on both consoles. 500gb is too small and none of the games excite me.im sure theyll bundle larger storage sizes in the future.

there was just an article in the news about high end cameras taking a beating from smartphones and instagram. kinda relates to pc sales taking a beating from tablets etc

you dont get angry messages because the commentary/stories are always enjoyable to listen to even if it's not about games, you all have a healthy amount of cynicism, and it's hard to be mad at someone who keeps money in your wallet. put up all the ads you want. ive saved so much money from this site it's ridiculous.

Finished listening to the show earlier, and I just had a few impressions.

About the whole free KI thing, Wombat isn't necessarily wrong, but he went way overboard on it. I'm going to come at that from a completely different direction. I've had a Live account for years now, but it probably only had less than a year of Gold. Microsoft rarely singles out the difference between silver and gold membership unless they are actually trying to sell you gold. For a contest like the KI one, shouldn't someone like me who is technically "a fan of Xbox" be included in whatever drawing they do, since I do have an active Xbox Live account? Again, it's just minute issues with how they name things they just is wrong.

And then there was the whole thing with Shipwreck saying that you guys are largely pro Xbox in comparison, but then Cheapy denied it. I think most of us here have accepted that it is true. I mean, how many times has Cheapy complained about not using his PS3 because the controller is dead, all the while never investing in a long USB cord or a charging station? Then, he would go on to praise the 360 controller and the battery packs that he had to buy separately, or else he'd be stuck throwing in AAs every few days. Ultimately, every person is going to pick a console to mold that experience to be as easy and enjoyable as possible, and it will become their favorite. Just don't deny you have a clear preference.

Just got around to listening to the podcast and I wanted to comment on the store provided extended warranties. Back years ago when I got my first X-box 360 from Best Buy I was offered the warranty for I think around $70. It lasted two years and I was told that if I ever had a problem with my console I could bring it into them and they would simply give me a new one off the shelf.

Well about 9 months later my console was a brick, I pulled off the hard drive and kept my controller but took the rest back to the store and they gave me another brand new one off the shelf, no questions asked. So then I took the HDD from the new one and simply sold it on craigslist for $120 and ended up with a free controller and a free game (this was at the point when MS started to package games in with the console). I was also given a $50 gift card because the 360 had gone from I think $450 to $400. I was told that I only get to claim the warranty once a year for the two years, so I got lucky that time. Well about 12 months later my console bricked again and I took it in. Well this go around they wised up and took the new HDD and controller from the replacement, but I was given another $50 gift card because of another price drop in the console by that point.

As I was finishing up claiming my second new 360 I was offered a new warranty but I was told that they had changed their warranty policy since I last bought one. The new warranty meant you had to bring in your console to the store, they would then have Geek Squad fix it up or, if it was too broken they would then send you a refurbished console. To which I said, That is exactly what Microsoft does for twice as long as your warranty, then I declined. All total I ended up with essentially three free games (one from the first one and a double packed game from the second replacement console) $100 in gift cards, $50 in cash after selling my HDD and deducting the cost of the warranty.

Moral of the story, if you wanted to buy a warranty it would have best been done six or seven years ago. Avoid any extended warranty like the plague now.

Plus i think if you look at magazines like @gamer or EGM they make more of a stink about a "console  war" than gamers do. both of their covers were literally why this system is the best or "fight" with a picture of both consoles. personally i think the whole "console war" is a bunch of hype designed by marketers to get people interested.

Another great show guys.

I thought Wombat's arguments regarding Microsoft and the KI giveaway were justified.  While I have spent a decent amount of money on Xbox 360 games (both physical discs and digital XBLA titles), I'm sure it's nowhere near the amount some people have spent.  So I never expected to win anything.  Still, when I heard that some people were winning free stuff, I was very interested to know "Why?".  As Wombat said, if someone at MS said it was a random contest, I would have been fine with that.  I'm just curious to know what makes MS "a fan of" Shipwreck, but not Wombat for example.  I think MS needs to take some advice from "Bat-Ship consulting services"

The banner ads on CAG never bothered me.  I do sometimes block flash ads.

Hello Gents.

I feel like if you guys where to hard on Wombat when he voiced his feelings about not receiving a code from Microsoft's loyalty program. You guys should remember why Cheap Ass Gamer is so popular, Its literally in the name cheap ass gamer and that's what most of us are. The more free free games we can get the better and Wombat is just a dedicated CAG at heart. Great site and great podcasts as always keep up the good work guys.

I am in Wombat's corner on this. I was in the beta for Xbox Live and have been a member since day one. Every time I hear about them giving away things to loyal members (I know it's happened at least once or twice before), I check my messages and find nothing. Sort of annoying. If they were more transparent about their criteria, it wouldn't be so frustrating.

You guys are pro- xbox. Ship is right. Hence Xbox fans won't get on your case.

Hence your perception that Xbox fans must not be crazy. And just other fans are.

This doesn't mean you don't complain about the Xbox at all. Just like you might even say a positive about Nintendo once a year. Maybe.

And this doesn't mean you are pro-Xbox on some insane fanboy neogaf troll level. It just means you are generally positive about a console and thus you aren't likely to get idiotic grade school hating tweets from that console's fanboys.

Btw thanks for the CAG loyalty gift. I hope other loyal CAGS were similarly rewarded.

CXK: The Sony Defense Force site is a joke. How did you miss that?

I still don't get where people like you act like it's only PS fanbois creating the problems. Here's a link to a thread on Polygon with multiple Xbox One fanbois acting like babies, accusing the community managers of being Sony shills and much more.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/5090404/sony-may-monitor-and-record-psn-voice-and-text-communications
Everytime I went to the website it looked real to me lol. Thank god it is. I know Xbox fans are nuts too. But I think most people will agree that Sony fanboys are either in higher numbers or far louder.

bread's done
Back