CAGcast #65: Making a Difference

Great CAGcast, very entertaining and an excellent interview with Defender. There should definitely be some more interviews with him as he is an entertaining and informed interviewee. Plus it's nice to hear some stories of CAG in the past, when newbs like me weren't around.

Much better than interviewing some boring PR bloke who spews "info" straight off the back of the box, I'm looking at you Nelson !!

Great job as ever guys !!

Cheapy, you mentioned that when you bought Flow that you had to put $10 into your Sony wallet and that you were charged tax. When I bought it, I was able to put just $7.99 into my Sony wallet and I didn't get charged tax. Maybe it is different in Japan.

I love that you guys are bitter about the listeners are bitter about you guys being bitter. good episode guys. cagcast seems to be getting better and better lately.

Put me down for a shot at Crackdown if there's any left. I don't remember hearing which prizes are left anymore.

Simpsons quote and Wombat Karaoke song suggestion for the next CAGcast:

Can I borrow a feeling?
Could you send me a jar of love?
Hurtin' hearts need some healin',
Take my hand with your glove of love

I'm with you Cheapy, I've been playing Crackdown for a week. I enjoy playing a sandbox game as the good guy for a change. But as far as your karaoke goes...don't give up your day job.

Sorry Cheapy but I must protest your handling of Wombat burrow this week. You've grilled Wombat in the past over not contributing to the show and then pull his segment at the last minute while at the same time keep most if not all of your content intact? While I don't think it was your intent to shaft Wombat this week and by no means does this detract my opinion of the show overall I feel if you are serious about Wombat taking a more active role on the show this is not the way to do it.

Homer: That horoscope was baloney. Nothing happened
except the pickaxe in my head, the rattlesnake
bite, and the testicle thing. What's for
desert?
Marge: No desert until you eat your broccoli. [Homer
takes some broccoli, chokes on it and dies]
[cut to a shot of Dr. Hibbert examining
Homer's body]
Hibbert: Mm. Another broccoli-related death.
Marge: I thought broccoli was ...
Hibbert: Oh, yes. one of the deadliest plants on earth.
Why, it tries to warn you itself with its
terrible taste.

Crackdown!! :whistle2:D

Wombat I had the same problem on my 360 with the tray refusing to close. I ended up gently jiggling the tray up, down, left, and right and it usually remedies the problem, once in a while I have to move it about, but for the most part my tray opens and closes like it should.

Great show this week guys. Personally I think Wombat has reason to be pissed off... Cheapy seems to have no problem paying $60 or more for unfinished beta-quality games, or $20+ for XBox marketplace reshashes of PSP launch titles; it's good to see that Wombat still represents the workin' cheapass man.

And Defener, wow! I had no idea that he was the owner of Multimedia 1.0! That store was awesome... I know I bought a bunch of Dreamcast, Saturn, and NES games there back when I was a student at NYU. Very cool to hear from the man himself. My only wish is that Wombat should've been a part of the interview, even if he was totally drunk and/or hung over at the time. In fact, that might just make it better.

Anyway, more interviews!

[quote name='franz ferdinand']

And Defener, wow! I had no idea that he was the owner of Multimedia 1.0! That store was awesome... I know I bought a bunch of Dreamcast, Saturn, and NES games there back when I was a student at NYU. Very cool to hear from the man himself. My only wish is that Wombat should've been a part of the interview, even if he was totally drunk and/or hung over at the time. In fact, that might just make it better.

Anyway, more interviews![/QUOTE]

lol...see it wasn't all bad. I did treat SOME customers good. :)

btw...Jesus and Mary Chain rock...nice avatar

Great Show!!! CAGcast 65 was the best episode since the wives were on the fakeair. I thought Defender was amazing in his interview and I hope he could be back in the future. Keep up the good work.

Great show guys!! They just keep getting better and better.

Cheapy and Wombat you guys NEED to see the Prestige. I saw it in the theaters and I thought it was pretty amazing. Great film. Plus Scarlett Johansson is in it so you can't go wrong.

The Defender interview was really interesting. I've never been to NYC so I never been to his shop, but by the pictures and the way people talk about it sounds like a really cool place for games. Just a question though. You mentioned you took a pretty big hit on State of Emergency after the initial 700 bucks. What about a game like GTA 3, that remained popular and a hot seller? Would you continue to make that kind of money or would it fizzle out after a couple weeks?

Can't wait for next week's show!!

I loved the interview and the idea of setting a lower price starting price for games and holding it there is definitely something I have heard before. I actually think one of the leaders of Nintendo said something similar.

Nintendo seemingly does this with their GBA/DS games. Prices on those games take forever to drop and its much harder to find great deals for a CAGer like myself. Profit on those is probably lower, but at least the price protection seems a bit more secure?

Great show as usual. I liked the interview and it was nice to see the industry from the small retailer point of view as opposed to what gamestop or best buy think.

To Wombat - I have a few other crazy friends who want to play Railfan since they have seen it so the plague is spreading.

Gave you guys a shout on my podcast since I am now a big fan of the show.. Keep up the great work.

Just finished listening to it myself and I will add to the "great show" chorus. I definitely think that interviews are good and I would love to see Cheapy get an interview with Japanese gamers. I think that would be an interesting slant.

Great show...finally. 63 and 64 IMO, weren't good and I was beginning to lose faith. The interview was a nice bonus.

although I still don't care about customer retention in the game industry.

[quote name='Longshot099']I loved the interview and the idea of setting a lower price starting price for games and holding it there is definitely something I have heard before. I actually think one of the leaders of Nintendo said something similar. [/QUOTE]
If you're thinking of the same interview I am, he said that game prices should be based on their length, so a long game could be like $100, and a short game would be less. What I got out of it was that he wanted to raise game prices, not lower them.

Cheapy & The Bitterest Whiny Gamer ever, great show as always though.

It just baffles me that Wombat believes that this game is not finished. I am about half way through, and think this one of the best open world games ever. I have to once again disagree with Wombat. He states that there is very little map compared to something like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which I completely disagree with. I will use an analogy of spilled milk. If you spill milk all over the floor one gallon of milk will cover quite a bit of floor space, which is similar to GTA:SA. In GTA:SA most everything you do is at ground level. Almost none of the game happens inside the buildings or on top of the buildings. If you keep that milk in the container, it does not cover nearly the same amount of area, but still resides in the same amount of physical space. Which I think is more like Crackdown, things happen on top of buildings as well as at ground level. I never completely finished GTA:SA, but I think that Crackdown probably has about the same amount of playable space as GTA:SA, you just have to go up as well as around. CheapyD, send me an address and I will send cork to plug up all this whine’ing lately from Wombat about games. Maybe CheapyD needs to add a third member to CAGCast like Shipwreck or some other contributor to help get a third opinion on things.

Really enjoyed the interview, I was expecting to hear him just complain about the screw job that these little guys get. But I was really impressed by Defender basically saying that DVD Empire and all the other little guys can make money as long as they use their heads. I am guessing that allot of his wisdom comes from years of experience.

Oh my god when I heard Cheapy say he was so busy playing Crackdown he did not have time to "rough up the suspect" so to speak, I was taking a drink and had pop drip out of my nose!

[quote name='Hired.Geek']If you spill milk all over the floor one gallon of milk will cover quite a bit of floor space[/QUOTE]
Are you indirectly telling Wombat to smell milk you spilled on the floor?

Great show guys. I thought Wombat was missing the point about the drunk purchases since he was talking about games that were great while drunk. Though it makes sense since when you're drunk you want to play those games and will just spend the money without thinking.

How can I get one of those "You Lose!" buttons? You guys should put it up as a prize like those figures from before :)

Great interview with Defender, though I don't think I agree with "price increase" policy.

I'm looking forward to next week's Wombat karaoke.

[quote name='Hired.Geek']Cheapy & The Bitterest Whiny Gamer ever, great show as always though.

It just baffles me that Wombat believes that this game is not finished. I am about half way through, and think this one of the best open world games ever. I have to once again disagree with Wombat. He states that there is very little map compared to something like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which I completely disagree with. I will use an analogy of spilled milk. If you spill milk all over the floor one gallon of milk will cover quite a bit of floor space, which is similar to GTA:SA. In GTA:SA most everything you do is at ground level. Almost none of the game happens inside the buildings or on top of the buildings. If you keep that milk in the container, it does not cover nearly the same amount of area, but still resides in the same amount of physical space. Which I think is more like Crackdown, things happen on top of buildings as well as at ground level. I never completely finished GTA:SA, but I think that Crackdown probably has about the same amount of playable space as GTA:SA, you just have to go up as well as around. CheapyD, send me an address and I will send cork to plug up all this whine’ing lately from Wombat about games. Maybe CheapyD needs to add a third member to CAGCast like Shipwreck or some other contributor to help get a third opinion on things.

Really enjoyed the interview, I was expecting to hear him just complain about the screw job that these little guys get. But I was really impressed by Defender basically saying that DVD Empire and all the other little guys can make money as long as they use their heads. I am guessing that allot of his wisdom comes from years of experience.

Oh my god when I heard Cheapy say he was so busy playing Crackdown he did not have time to "rough up the suspect" so to speak, I was taking a drink and had pop drip out of my nose!

[/QUOTE]

Even if you take land mass out of the equation, the time it takes to complete the story is way too short for an open ended game, at least for me.
I just expect more from a first party next gen game that costs 60 dollars retail, bare bones character customization, 3 cities and an 8 (at most) hour story doesn't cut the mustard for a purchase in this market

The interview with Defender was great because it seemed (and probably was) unscripted. He's a likeable guy and I hope he returns to the show occasionaly.

Cheapy,
How about talking about the CAGHL league in the next podcast? Curious to get your takes on it and I think it would make a good segment.

Wombat,
Did you try the free PC download for the Marvel Trading Card game? If you have any rules questions, or want to know what decks are best from the real TCG, just PM me.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Cheapy,
How about talking about the CAGHL league in the next podcast? Curious to get your takes on it and I think it would make a good segment.

Wombat,
Did you try the free PC download for the Marvel Trading Card game? If you have any rules questions, or want to know what decks are best from the real TCG, just PM me.[/QUOTE]

File planet tells me I have to pay to dl the demo, so there goes my weekend plans.

You don't have to pay. There's servers for free download, but you have to wait like 10 minutes or so for the download to start. Just look below the high speed servers.

Great show (aside from missing Wombat's Borrow).

I *completely* agree with game prices. $50 is completely outrageous, $60 is insane. Literally insane.

Setting games at a more reasonable $20-30, and then never really dropping them would sell a heck of a lot more copies, and would sell more UP FRONT because they're cheaper to begin with and we'd know they wouldn't really drop. That would be more fair for gamers and retail.

My own library is proof of what game prices do...I own 20 PS1 games, 7 PS2 (plus a few in my backlog), probably 30-40 GBA and DS games...and exactly zero 360 or PS3 games. And I'm a hardcore gamer. A casual gamer isn't going to make an impulse purchase of a $50 or $60 item-not ever.

There are a handful of games actually worth that, but you can't know that unless you've actually played it.

[quote name='pete5883']If you're thinking of the same interview I am, he said that game prices should be based on their length, so a long game could be like $100, and a short game would be less. What I got out of it was that he wanted to raise game prices, not lower them.[/QUOTE]

He didn't say that at all. Nothing even close to that (unless they come back to the issue later in the interview-I'm not all the way through). Might want to re-listen to it.

I agree with Hired Geek, the Crackdown world is vertical, not just horizontal, so there are a good amount of places to go and explore. I never felt the game was unfinished. I've played more than 8 hours at the medium difficulty, and don't see how Wombat only played 8 hours. How many orbs did you find? Did you completely level up your character? I spent an hour the other day just looking for hidden orbs in the Shei Gen area, which I had just unlocked. It's not perfect, but as you said Wombat, it is a lot of fun.

[quote name='Conboy']I agree with Hired Geek, the Crackdown world is vertical, not just horizontal, so there are a good amount of places to go and explore. I never felt the game was unfinished. I've played more than 8 hours at the medium difficulty, and don't see how Wombat only played 8 hours. How many orbs did you find? Did you completely level up your character? I spent an hour the other day just looking for hidden orbs in the Shei Gen area, which I had just unlocked. It's not perfect, but as you said Wombat, it is a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

I said I completed the story after 8 hours, and I do agree it is alot of fun. I just dont think that it warrents its price tag, there really isnt enough to do once you complete the story in my opinion.

Hmmmm, everyone is entitled to their thoughts and ideas. I would compare Crackdown to a big buket of LEGOs. With kids you just dump them out and even after they have built the stuff on the box, there is still tons of stuff to do with them if you just use your imagination. Even after the game is finished you could play around with stacking up big piles of junk in the middle of the street stop traffic all around it, and use some of the cars to add to the pile of junk. And with the Limpet mines there is no end to the amount of fun you can have with them. Not to mention the shear fun of collecting orbs. Even after the story mode of the game is finished you can look at changing the genre of the game from a open sand box game, to a platformer by trying to figure out where all the orbs are and how to get to them. And then from a platformer to a light RPG, by leveling up your character to get ready for the downloadable content. And lets face it, after a hard day at work and the boss complaining about whatever it is a great stress release to go in with the rocket launcher, and the grenade launcher and blow up a bunch of stuff.

My only complaint with the game is that you can only have one friend in game with you at a time. Now I know that this would make the game really easy, but imagine you and five or ten of your friends all agents turned loose on the city at once. That would just fun all the crazy stuff you could do together.

I guess, I am starting to see a trend in the 360 games. The stories are shorter and the developers expect that the multiplayer aspect of the game will keep you playing for allot longer. Gears of War, Lost Planet, Crackdown, Rainbow Six: Vegas all of these games the single player story mode was very short and could be completed in under 10-12 hours of play. Yet the multi player aspect of the game keeps you coming back playing them for a long time.

Wolfpup, Well if you are not into the multi player I would maybe wait for a price drop, unless you have completely run out of games to play.

Best show in a while guys, I Dugg it!

Did CheapyD say he was appearing in an upcoming episode of the Joystiq podcast?
I assume(without making an "ass" out of "u" and "me") this will be posted on the front page of CAG when it goes live.

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']Best show in a while guys, I Dugg it!

Did CheapyD say he was appearing in an upcoming episode of the Joystiq podcast?
I assume(without making an "ass" out of "u" and "me") this will be posted on the front page of CAG when it goes live.[/quote]

My guess is that its going to be posted on Joystiq today.

Yo - great cagcast as usual! In fact I think this one was better than usual, due to the extreme bitterness from Wombat XBC (Extremely Bitter Cag). You guys rock!
RR

0000038047_20070228075324.jpg

[quote name='jho']Defender is the man. I don't post often but I remember when he was more involved and he was a great contributor. I especially remember when he hooked up a lot of CAG with the reprint of puzzle fighter (a fantastic game). Great to hear from him.[/quote]

I miss defender's online store and the sweet rare games that would show up from time to time. I too got in on the reprint of puzzle fighter. It's great to hear from him again on CAG.

bread's done
Back