CAGcast #96: You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry

hey cheapy, not that i could complain, being from canada (therefore i don't hear the ads). however i support your venture into the marketing, even if it was just for the money, you're providing a service and therefore are entitled to make some money. i can't see opening a donation system on a site that advocates being cheap working very well. so just keep it low and "keep it real" as usual.

I agree -- I really can't believe there are people complaining about the ads. They interrupt the momentum? Seriously? It's two guys talking. A 30-second ad in between topics is nothing. I know we're all spoiled on bittorrent and tivo and whatever the hell but if unless you're in elementary school you must recall actually watching TV on the television... with 2 minutes of ads 3-4 times every half hour. You are getting 90 seconds of ads split up over the course of a typically 1.5 hour podcast. And the fact that it's the Arbiter talking to you is just gravy. It's not obtrusive. It's not selling out, and it's not even slightly annoying. QUIT WHINING.

Hey Wombat, saw your article linked on Slate re: the Hitman poster.

Although... I don't think I'd go around bragging too loudly, seeing that they linked you to the phrase "small genital bulge". ;)

I hope Sony have some reserves for his life ... Soon I am getting Xbox 360 ... Next friday !!! Cheapy can you tell : Is the higher amount of game demos and trailers on Xbox live everything that Xbox have better from Playstation network ??? Even when I buy Xbox 360 , I will still love PS3 , because I loveee Sony and Playstation brand from 1995 , when it was first released ... Oh and by the way : Excellent show again !

Just finished listening, great stuff. I strongly advise the dropping your kid off at the day care while you are still home. Pay in cash and pick up before the wife comes home and she will never know.

As for the ads, if you have to have them I am glad they are Navy ads. As a former Navy brat, I can't express how much fun it was getting to walk around the ships when I was younger. Keep up the good work.

Cheapy, anybody ever tell you you look like Brendan Fraser?

Sony at the bottom of the NPD numbers? Last I checked, PSP and PS2 have been coming in at 3-4 respectively behind the Wii and DS in most months.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Cheapy, anybody ever tell you you look like Brendan Fraser?

Sony at the bottom of the NPD numbers? Last I checked, PSP and PS2 have been coming in at 3-4 respectively behind the Wii and DS in most months.[/quote] yes he does. I was trying to think who he looked like. I was thinking it was Seanbaby, but I think Brendan Fraser might be closer.

This episode was hilarous. I think the Howard Stern show is rubbing off on Cheapy because Wombat is totally the new Baba Booey. Cheapy you just need to threaten to fire him 5 times every show!

Awesome, hilarious. Be Kind, Rewind!

You know what, now it is fuckin creeping me out!

He does look like Brendan. Maybe Mrs. Cheapy saw The Mummy and thought he was cute.... or weirder... they met after the movie.

Damn, Cheapy. I feel for you and everything, but the first third of this CAGcast felt like it was hosted by Captain Bringdown and his faithful sidekick, Whipping Boy. Being a new dad and functioning on zero sleep is super tough, but let's take stock:

1) You have a adorable, healthy baby boy with ten fingers, ten toes, a nice head of hair, and, evidently, a fully functional gastrointestinal system.

2) You still play/talk about/pimp video games for a living. Which, incidentally, means...

3) You don't have to head off to an office each morning, as many new dads would have to at this point, and as your wife will have to in a couple months.

So cheer up! And Wombat, not only did you work your butt off for the site this week, you took one for the team and let Cheapy vent without losing your cool. Nice job!

Also, I want to clarify (again): I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ADS IN THE CAGCAST. Ya'll deserve to get paid. You could put 10 ads in an hour show and I (probably) wouldn't complain. My only gripe is the subject of these particular ads. I think a lot of us feel the same way.

Once things got going, great show. I really enjoyed the Nintendo discussion this week. I had written off Link's Crossbow training and the zapper, but now it sounds like something I might give a try.

Well, I finally got to listen to the show. Cheapy reminded me of how grumpy I was when my daughter was born. Granted, I was much younger and could handle the lack of sleep a little better but still.

Good show over all guys. I was a little confused about the lack of advertisements until Cheapy explained that the ads are only for people in the US. Which means, I DONT GET THEM! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!! Indonesia finally has something good going for them!

Cheapy, big ups on angry Cheapy. It was quite nice to hear you belittling Wombat.

Wombat, do you think before you speak, or do you just let the words come out and just later choose to back it up because you don't want to admit when you're wrong?

Cheapy's account of the "minigames" that he plays with his baby sounded almost like a Robert Schimmel joke. :)

By the way, "Meatbag" is what Bender calls Fry, among other things.

Great response to the person asking if they should get a PS3 for MGS4. I'll never understand why people always buy systems for games coming out in the future. Wait til the game comes out, by that time the PS3 may be cheaper.

[quote name='zewone']Cheapy, big ups on angry Cheapy. It was quite nice to hear you belittling Wombat.

Wombat, do you think before you speak, or do you just let the words come out and just later choose to back it up because you don't want to admit when you're wrong?[/QUOTE]

what did i do this time?

[quote name='Trenchalicious']Well I was wrong, you didn't discuss the ad situation and you missed my point... plus the number of people complaining was more than 2. You just acted like, in a way… it’s tough shit for the people. Spin it all you want, but you clearly did not read the real complaints... which was, the breaks in the middle of the show hurts the momentum. If the ads were at the start and end, that would be fine. Having ads, while not pleasant, isn't the issue. The issue is where they are at. Next ad campaign you have, don't fold to the advertisers to try to get more credibility. You are CheapyD, be yourself.

The rest of the show is such high quality, don’t hurt the product in any way. The product is why people listen. Just a little advice, but what do I know... I only have listened to all the shows.[/QUOTE]

First off, Trenchalicious, stop being such a baby.

Secondly, stop being the Jr. Producer, trying to tell Cheapy how to run his show. That's insulting. I'm sure that you have zero experience running anything besides your mouth on an internet message board.

It's actually the purists who complain the most. "I've listened to all of the episodes, so I carry more crediblity." Bullshit. That has nothing to do with it. You're like the old man who complains about how things were better back in his day. I'm sure he appreciates you being a loyal fan and all, but this is the evolution of radio, TV, and Internet. When you gain audience members, you also will attract sponsors. There is nothing wrong with ads being run, and for the record I've listened to practially all of the episodes myself and I have NO problem with the new ads. In fact, I'm happy for Cheapy that he's getting this kind of attention. Good for him!

Last time I heard, running Cheap Ass Gamer is his business. This is how he makes money. Bandwidth isn't exactly cheap, and the more people who listen, the more it costs. If ads help ensure that CAGCast can continue for months or years, then I can certainly sit through about a minute or two of commercials for a 90-120 minute show.

You're being selfish. The beauty of podcasts is that you can fast-forward or rewind. If the ads are that big of a deal, use the FF feature and skip over the commercials.

I don't contribute much on the forums here, but its people like you who piss me off. Go run your own damn podcast and see if you "keep it real" when a sponsor offers you some extra cash in turn for some commercials.

CheapyD, the show is better than ever. The dynamic between you and Wombat is great, and it's good to see that both of you are being recognized for your hard work -- you with the sponsorship for CAGCast (as well as the successful spinoff CAG Foreplay) and Wombat with the UGO blogger position. Keep up the good work!

Being a father myself, it's great to hear about your life with baby Tai. I know how frustrating it can be the first couple of months. But just wait until you get to the 4-6 month age. I have a 7 month old and he's recently started sitting up on his own, talking up a storm, and just being the most curious and playful baby boy. It'll pay off eventually! You just have to get through those first couple of months. It's amazing when you see them following you with their eyes, and reaching out for things.

CheapyD welcome to fatherhood ....you will get used to it ....i have been with my son(16mo) all day for the past year since i work at night
we play xbox360 now !!

[quote name='jaystaeb8']You are right about the fact that he is going to get a lot of advice but as a father of 2 kids also, a boy and a girl, what people tell you and what their experiences are don't mean shit. Every kid is different and you need to find out what works for them and you. An example, your blanket statement that 10 pounds means they get enough nourishment to get through the night is ridiculous. My boy was 10 pounds when he was born, my daughter was 9 pounds 8 ounces. They needed more nourishment in the night because they were so big, they had to eat more at night to keep from losing weight.

Just like everything else, nothing is absolute, you have to find what works for you as long as it doesn't include smothering the kid.

Cheapy,
I am very interested in seeing if your opinion changes about paying for Live and multiplayer gaming when you aren't able to use them as much. I know for me a good single player game is way more important than any multiplayer functions a game may have.[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrosomia

and second, 99% of kids lose weight after birth, often as much as 20% of birth weight. That is normal.

I agree with your second point. And I completely relate to the live/multiplayer thing vs. campaign. I can't just do what I want when I want with a family in tow, and getting involved in online stuff just makes it more likely that I'll have to quit first or bail out because I'm being called or I have to go to bed (working stiff) or whatever. If a game is online only, it's basically useless to me. I suspect that this will be the case for Cheapy- especially with a working mum you need the flexibility to pause and save anytime, not to let down your teammates. And it makes it harder to meet up online unless it's after bedtime.

I would also like to point out that the online component of a game has a very very limited shelf life unless it's in the top 5th percentile of online releases (see Halo, Team Fortress, Gears of War). These games are almost as valueless as hard drive content downloads like XBLA games (which I love and have severaland will buy more).

The US video game market revolves around resale, and removing that factor from the market with d/l only software will definitely be more difficult than the companies would like. Switching from $60 with $30 resale value to $60 with no resale value is like raising prices from $60 to $90 IMHO. Will the American public be smart enough to figure that out? I hope so. Esp when d/l only software as MS has it is limited to one console. If it wasn't, I'd much more likely to have 360s on multiple TVs so I could play my live arcade stuff in more than one place in my house. But I can't. Bastards!

Great show as usual. I listen to a lot of Podcasts, but this is the one that I look forward to the most. I started out with Cheap Ass Gamer only reading the front page. Your first podcast post drew me to the podcast. The podcast drew me into the forums. This is by far the best game community I have ever come across. You deserve lots of thanks for building this great little corner of the Internet. Anyway... a few comments about the show.

I understand your criticism of Child's Play, not cashing the check for a long time would be very annoying. However, I don't really get why Play-Asia would be upset. What exactly were they expecting from the Penny Arcade guys?

I don't even think the bitching about commercials was even worth responding to. I see that it continues in this thread and I don't understand why you would even continue listening if it bothers you that much. That said, I hope that I can offer some constructive criticism. I don't know if you were required to record those "transitions" to the comments, but they don't really work. I think just letting them drop in the commercial with no statement from either of you would sound better. The "let's go to commercial" things just don't work to the level of the rest of the show.

It was almost surreal listening to Wombat talk about the Wii again. I had flashbacks to listening to him talk about it on Black Friday last year and I realized that I don't know if I've heard him talk about it since then. I have to admit I haven't even turned mine on in the past 6 months, but it is nice to maybe hear the return of the Nintendo Fanboy! :D

Finally, CAGCast on TV? I think you would be better spending your time working on getting on the radio. Your show functions really, really well as two talking heads. That type of show never seems to translate to television with its soul intact. I would have to think the show would last longer and be much better continuing as an audio only expirience.

Thank you for everything you both do. I really, really enjoy it.

I say you should keep some of the ad money. you definitly deserve it, and charities are fantastic and all, but ALL the money? donate a portion, being a father means less sleap AND money, you'll need it.

I don't see how anybody can complain about the ads. All of the 1up Network podcasts use ads as well, and nobody bitches about that. If it helps the podcast out, than it's great to me. This is a FREE podcast, there for nobody can bitch unless their own hard earned money is involved.

[quote name='retrovertigo']First off, Trenchalicious, stop being such a baby.

Last time I heard, running Cheap Ass Gamer is his business. This is how he makes money. Bandwidth isn't exactly cheap, and the more people who listen, the more it costs. If ads help ensure that CAGCast can continue for months or years, then I can certainly sit through about a minute or two of commercials for a 90-120 minute show.

You're being selfish. The beauty of podcasts is that you can fast-forward or rewind. If the ads are that big of a deal, use the FF feature and skip over the commercials.

I don't contribute much on the forums here, but its people like you who piss me off. Go run your own damn podcast and see if you "keep it real" when a sponsor offers you some extra cash in turn for some commercials.

.[/quote]

He's not using his money to pay for anything, he's giving it away. So your argument is like your underwear. Full of holes. Secondly, tell someone to just FF is a stupid thing to say. I am being selfish by sharing how I think the ads could be better used so everyone can benefit? Then color me selfish. I'm glad you don't contribute much, because you clearly don't pay attention and blindly support things.

[quote name='ianoid']Having a newborn is rough. You definitely are in the warzone for the first 1-2 months.

And everyone, me included, has advice to give you about your baby.

. stuff deleted

I also suggest avoiding cosleeping. Don't get the kid used to being in bed with you as it's a hard habit to break.

Down with La Leche![/QUOTE]

And just to prove your point (about all the advice), I disagree entirely with just about everything you had to say! Congrats, you are like the evil version of me ;).

I never understood the big issue with the first few months. Ours have all been fairly easy then. They get tough LATER - like when they are 2 years old and stuff. But then my wife breastfeeds (no bottles/formula to deal with, EVER) and we do the cosleep thing so NO LOSS OF SLEEP. That counts for a lot. But, hey, whatever...

Our 4th was due today. Nothing yet - she's being induced next week.

I'm always jealous of couples when they have that spontaeous water breaking and instant labor (with a quick rush to the hospital with the baby almost born along the way). That movie stereotype experience has never happened to us, even when we waited 2 weeks past the due date (which we aren't doing this time since the last one ended up near 11 lbs). We'd just like the labor to be less than 12 hours this time ;). Anyway, we'll see what happens Tuesday...

I haven't listened to the CAGcast yet but it sounds very interesting. Angry Cheapy?? :lol:

First of all let me say that I was absolutely infuriated by your statement that Zack and Wiki was the only must buy game for the Wii. I went into primal Nintendo defense mode, but immediately became even more upset when I could hardly think of any games that had come out that were worth buying. To be fair, you didn't mention Metroid Prime 3 which I think is a must buy, or Zelda, but the point still stands, there's not much worth owning a Wii for. As an ex Wii fanboy, I'd like to say thanks for the controversial statement.

That, and to be honest, I'm a tad bit uncomfortable with the ads, only because they're Navy related. I don't care that there are ads on the cagcast, I just care that it's slightly furthering the, in my opinion, extremely dangerous and misleading ad campaign by all the wings of the armed forces that war is just like a video game. I don't know how these ad deals are structured, but next time, maybe some video game based ads that don't quite carry the political implications?

**EDIT**

Oh and one more thing, I think you should put the money towards Child's Play. Quite frankly, I really don't care about whether or not the organizers behind the thing aren't the most competent in the world, that's a lame reason to me. I think Child's Play is a great cause. There, that's my vote.

Plus, I heard on the latest 1up yours show that they've streamlined it, and are now teaming up with Amazon or something? I don't know, but I think dealing with them will be easier this time around.

The game that had the stereotypes was the Activision-published "Spanish for Everyone," not Ubisoft's "My Spanish Coach." Spanish for Everyone recently got a 2.0 from IGN.

What Fraternity were you in Cheapy? At what school?

I thought about gettting that 24" iMac, but I decided I am going to get a Macbook instead.

Wombat really need to beat potal.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']He's not using his money to pay for anything, he's giving it away. So your argument is like your underwear. Full of holes. Secondly, tell someone to just FF is a stupid thing to say. I am being selfish by sharing how I think the ads could be better used so everyone can benefit? Then color me selfish. I'm glad you don't contribute much, because you clearly don't pay attention and blindly support things.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of not paying attention... CheapyD happens to make his living from running Cheap Ass Gamer (the web site). The money he's talking about giving away is the money from the Navy ads (on CAGCast, his podcast). Talk about calling the kettle black.

Oh and really good comeback with the hole in the underwear comment. Very original. That certainly put me in my place. My 8 year-old step son comes up with wittier comebacks than yours.

Before you go and tell somebody to contribute more, let's point out your very short existence on the forums. For being a so-called long-time listener, how come it took you until late October of THIS year to sign up?

Oh yeah, and the Navy ads are no problem for me. 30 sec spots are nothing, plus it's the Arbiter.

I wish I could d/l my Stern like a podcast, even if I had to pay for a show or two a week. I had Sirius for a few years, but then got into this podcasting and then cancelled my Sirius. I really like Stern, but I found that I wanted to listen to other stuff not on Sirius, and I only have so many hours in my car.

Cheapy: Do you listen to Stern while you play games or what?

Longtime listener here, but just signed up to offer this suggestion as where to donate the ad money too. CJ Wilson is a young pitcher for the Texas Rangers that has random charities that benefit children in hospitals (hemophiliacs in particular) by raising money to donate systems for kids that are bedridden because of various treatments. Here is a link to some information on a recent Halo 3 event he had, but as far as contacting him if interested, I cannot really help.

http://cjwilson.mlblogs.com/my_weblog/2007/10/_cj_wilsons_hal.html

bread's done
Back