CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

so i read the op and on it theres a spot for people that are in both leagues and a veteran wut if we want the same team becuz i havent seen anything on that yet in there or maybe i missed it

[quote name='DVO21']so i read the op and on it theres a spot for people that are in both leagues and a veteran wut if we want the same team becuz i havent seen anything on that yet in there or maybe i missed it[/QUOTE]

Being in both leagues forfeited your right to retain your team. People exclusive to this league always had first selection of teams...including those held by former players who chose to take a spot in the other league.

pitfallharry is an example of this as well. He decided to take his guaranteed spot in the other league, so he had to give up the Packers here. He's in the same group with you (Group 3) and will choose from the remaining teams after all players from Group 1 and Group 2 have selected their teams. If your team is still left at that point, of course you're free to take them.

[quote name='Aft3rSh0ck24']hopefully only a couple people saw it haha, but do we have time frames and groups for the team selection on friday.[/QUOTE]

Well, I haven't really organized people into their specific groups yet (I suppose I could start working on that), but each group will have a its own lottery to determine selection order...all of which will be posted on Friday. In general, Group 1 picks before Group 2, Group 2 picks before Group 3, and Group 3 picks before Group 4.

[quote name='DVO21']but we should know our teams on friday so we should get our list ready correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think 4 days before launch is a reasonable amount of time for people to know if they're getting the game or not and if they want to play in a league. If they decide after that, then they can't really blame anybody if the good teams are taken.

The team selection order will definitely be posted early Friday morning (possibly even at midnight), and we'll start hammering things out then.

For those curious, as things stand now...these are the groups (note that there will still be an actual order within these groups. It won't be an "anyone in this group can choose" thing like we did we free agency). Obviously, this is subject to change if anyone else signs up or drops out.

Group 0 (league veterans playing exclusively in this league who are retaining their team)
lyric
docb9110

Group 1 (league veterans playing exclusively in this league)
n8rockerasu
Aft3rSh0ck24

Group 2 (new members playing exclusively in this league)
steggy
HydroX
Cool_iAM
DaddyBoJangles
Twick87
Chetty12
Hemingway012
Rapid shot
Swift900
h3adkilla

Pending Availability (people who have also signed up for the Official Madden League)

Group 3 (league veterans playing in both leagues)
pitfallharry219
DVO21
staticz
Blade3D

Group 4 (new members playing in both leagues
JoelyPoley

Last edited by a moderator:
ok well if its cool i will send u my top ten team list becuz i may not be around friday. that way if my team is taken that i want then u have a list is will send it to ur CAGLS cag name

also im guessing within the groups u will be pulling name out of a hat to see who picks first kind of thing

[quote name='DVO21']ok well if its cool i will send u my top ten team list becuz i may not be around friday. that way if my team is taken that i want then u have a list is will send it to ur CAGLS cag name

also im guessing within the groups u will be pulling name out of a hat to see who picks first kind of thing[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. And yeah...well, random number generator online. But close enough. ;)

I am just curious as to why all the different groups. I am sure y'all already discussed this but I don't understand why veterans who are in both leagues are being penalized in team choice. I am cool with the people who are being exclusive to the league who are veterans having top choice or keeping their team but I don't understand how our dedication or time spent playing is worth any less. It discourages those of us with time to play in two leagues from wanting to play in both. I just think everyone else should be in the same pool. Regardless I am still playing but just throwing my two cents in.

I posted a couple pages back that I'd like to be part of this league, but it must have been overlooked. I'm new, but I would be playing exclusively in this league. Here is my info once again:

Swift900 | swiftfix | EST | weekdays: after 9 PM; weekends: generally free

CAGLeagueSports, I can shoot you my list of preferred teams within the next day or so.

[quote name='Blade3D']I am just curious as to why all the different groups. I am sure y'all already discussed this but I don't understand why veterans who are in both leagues are being penalized in team choice. I am cool with the people who are being exclusive to the league who are veterans having top choice or keeping their team but I don't understand how our dedication or time spent playing is worth any less. It discourages those of us with time to play in two leagues from wanting to play in both. I just think everyone else should be in the same pool. Regardless I am still playing but just throwing my two cents in.[/QUOTE]

Because you guys already have a league to play in. The plan all along was to try to get as many new people to sign up as possible. If we had 32 members sign up who were only playing in this league, you wouldn't have been able to play in both anyway. Regardless of whether people have played here before or not, for people that are ONLY in this league, it's more fair to give them priority in selecting a team over people who are playing here as a second league.

By choosing to take a spot in the other league, you relegated your spot here as being "secondary". I don't want it to sound like a "JV League vs Official League" thing, but like I said...if we had 32 exclusive members here, there wouldn't have been a spot for you anyway. If this league has any chance of growing and progressing moving forward, it's by bringing in new members who are dedicated to THIS league.

i do agree with blade i can see where he is coming from. but i understood N8's rule when joining the other league as well.

but i understand that blade feels like hes already proven himself last year that he is going to make his games happen and do multiple seasons and play fair.
And well the newer guys that havent proven themself are going to get better teams and for all we know they might not play fair or right might not be around for multiple seasons i mean we played 3 seasons last year and i think we could do more this year. but if new guys end up leaving or getting kicked out then what happens when good teams are open and bad teams are ran by the Vets in both leagues

[quote name='Swift900']I posted a couple pages back that I'd like to be part of this league, but it must have been overlooked. I'm new, but I would be playing exclusively in this league. Here is my info once again:

Swift900 | swiftfix | EST | weekdays: after 9 PM; weekends: generally free

CAGLeagueSports, I can shoot you my list of preferred teams within the next day or so.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I even responded to that post and still forgot to add you. :oops: Sorry man! Blame old age. I turn 30 next week, lol. :oldman: You're definitely welcome here, and we're happy to have you! Adding you to the OP now.

what happens if u have 6 people on the pending side and u have 28 new members and old members with only one league total then how do u go about picking the 4 pending members that get to stay?

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Because you guys already have a league to play in. The plan all along was to try to get as many new people to sign up as possible. If we had 32 members sign up who were only playing in this league, you wouldn't have been able to play in both anyway. Regardless of whether people have played here before or not, for people that are ONLY in this league, it's more fair to give them priority in selecting a team over people who are playing here as a second league.

By choosing to take a spot in the other league, you relegated your spot here as being "secondary". I don't want it to sound like a "JV League vs Official League" thing, but like I said...if we had 32 exclusive members here, there wouldn't have been a spot for you anyway. If this league has any chance of growing and progressing moving forward, it's by bringing in new members who are dedicated to THIS league.[/QUOTE]

As you stated this league isn't full, so I don't understand how are participation is valued less then others. I am not saying to get preferential treatment over the new people just equal treatment. Filling the league out with more teams makes it more appealing so it can grow, and we (veterans in both leagues) are helping to accomplish this. I am not trying to start an argument or anything, and it's your league so you can run it how you want. I am just saying my dedication to both leagues will be equal, and we veterans have proven ourselves as fair, honest players.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Damn, I even responded to that post and still forgot to add you. :oops: Sorry man! Blame old age. I turn 30 next week, lol. :oldman: You're definitely welcome here, and we're happy to have you! Adding you to the OP now.[/QUOTE]

Hah! No worries whatsoever. Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm greatly looking forward to the start of the season.

[quote name='DVO21']what happens if u have 6 people on the pending side and u have 28 new members and old members with only one league total then how do u go about picking the 4 pending members that get to stay?[/QUOTE]

That's a fairly simple scenario. Any Group 4 members would be the first ones eliminated from contention. If there were more Group 3 members than there were spots, a lottery would be held for the remaining spots.

[quote name='Blade3D']As you stated this league isn't full, so I don't understand how are participation is valued less then others. I am not saying to get preferential treatment over the new people just equal treatment. Filling the league out with more teams makes it more appealing so it can grow, and we (veterans in both leagues) are helping to accomplish this. I am not trying to start an argument or anything, and it's your league so you can run it how you want. I am just saying my dedication to both leagues will be equal, and we veterans have proven ourselves as fair, honest players.[/QUOTE]

It's interesting that you say your dedication to both leagues will be equal, because you're kind of an example of why it should be this way. You bailed on this league before completion last year but continued to play in the official league. Why would you expect an equal chance at selecting a team over people who do not pose that same risk? Sure, there's a chance that some new people might not become long term members, but if I don't encourage them to be here, that's DEFINITELY not going to happen.

You act as though you had no say in any of this. If you had committed to this league (like lyric and doc), you'd be essentially two steps ahead of any new member, with the option of keeping your old team, or selecting a new team before them. It's not like you're not going to get a team (unless sign ups get really crazy in the next few days). You just won't get to pick your team before people who will have this as their only Connected Careers online experience. I'm sorry, but I think that's fair.

As for questioning whether I value the membership of new exclusive members more than I do that of returning members playing in both leagues, honestly, I kind of do. I appreciate people who are playing in both leagues to "help out", but there's just no sustainability there. And we'll be right back in the same boat when people start getting "burnt out" on Madden, or when we do sign ups again next year. I want this league to have a chance to grow into THE Madden League for the people who are in it.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']That's a fairly simple scenario. Any Group 4 members would be the first ones eliminated from contention. If there were more Group 3 members than there were spots, a lottery would be held for the remaining spots.

It's interesting that you say your dedication to both leagues will be equal, because you're kind of an example of why it should be this way. You bailed on this league before completion last year but continued to play in the official league. Why would you expect an equal chance at selecting a team over people who do not pose that same risk? Sure, there's a chance that some new people might not become long term members, but if I don't encourage them to be here, that's DEFINITELY not going to happen.

You act as though you had no say in any of this. If you had committed to this league (like lyric and doc), you'd be essentially two steps ahead of any new member, with the option of keeping your old team, or selecting a new team before them. It's not like you're not going to get a team (unless sign ups get really crazy in the next few days). You just won't get to pick your team before people who will have this as their only Connected Careers online experience. I'm sorry, but I think that's fair.

As for questioning whether I value the membership of new exclusive members more than I do that of returning members playing in both leagues, honestly, I kind of do. I appreciate people who are playing in both leagues to "help out", but there's just no sustainability there. And we'll be right back in the same boat when people start getting "burnt out" on Madden, or when we do sign ups again next year. I want this league to have a chance to grow into THE Madden League for the people who are in it.[/QUOTE]

I played 2 seasons in each league.

Also, you have no idea if anyone else is playing in other leagues not associated with CAG.

I understand the direction that you wish to take this league. My stance still is I think it is unfair regarding this issue, and discourages veterans playing in both leagues to return to this one. Such as, if no one returned then you would have 16 teams instead of 20.

I have let how I feel be known, and no further discussion is needed from my end.

[quote name='Blade3D']I played 2 seasons in each league.

Also, you have no idea if anyone else is playing in other leagues not associated with CAG.

I understand the direction that you wish to take this league. My stance still is I think it is unfair regarding this issue, and discourages veterans playing in both leagues to return to this one. Such as, if no one returned then you would have 16 teams instead of 20.

I have let how I feel be known, and no further discussion is needed from my end.[/QUOTE]

You continued playing in the official league after you dropped from this one. Not sure how that could be disputed. That's what happened, lol. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid this year. Yeah, I don't know what people are doing outside of CAG. But if they come here looking for a Madden League, I have to believe that they need a league to play in.

But I agree 100%...if veterans playing in both leagues didn't return, we'd have less teams (14 instead of 19...but the principle is the same). But for those 14, this would be THEIR league. I can't say it enough, the hope was for enough people to sign up that people playing in both leagues wouldn't even be an option (which is still the hope moving forward).

How can you possibly be so short-sighted as to not be able to see that this is how you actually grow the league and build a situation similar to what the official league has? If I don't show the new members that I value them coming here FIRST to play, the league will always be full of "second league" players.

And no offense, but I don't really want to bust my ass just so you can have "MOAR MADDEN" and then end up bailing before we're finished anyway. First and foremost, this league is for people who NEED a league. I'm trying to be as nice about this as I can, but it's starting to wear on my nerves. If you feel so strongly about picking behind people who may not have anywhere else to play, you know what option always exists for you.

I hope we can drop this now because I think I've expressed as clearly as I can why I want to handle things this way.

Did anyone see the preview for the website you can use to go along with online ccm's? It looked pretty cool/useful. You can also sign up to get alerts emailed to your phone when the league advances, your the last one to play your game, or even trades in a limited fashion. Ill try to find a link to the video later.

After careful deliberation and playing of the demo, I'm-a back! And here is the official hotel of the league.

3948712047_c2a9862f72_z.jpg

[quote name='jza1218']After careful deliberation and playing of the demo, I'm-a back! And here is the official hotel of the league.[/QUOTE]

Nice. We never had another Bengals owner after you left, so you would still be able to lay claim to them if you wanted. Or you can go for a new team.

Also, I still like this one.

3264678391_d5ed660fde_o.jpg

[quote name='Chetty12']Did anyone see the preview for the website you can use to go along with online ccm's? It looked pretty cool/useful. You can also sign up to get alerts emailed to your phone when the league advances, your the last one to play your game, or even trades in a limited fashion. Ill try to find a link to the video later.[/QUOTE]

[youtube]jK33OQJqEO8[/youtube]

[quote name='jza1218']I'd rather take my chances with a new team, hopefully I'll be able to snag my Giants.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.

[quote name='Rapid shot'][youtube]jK33OQJqEO8[/youtube][/QUOTE]

Yeah, it looks really promising. Just hope EA did a good job with Q&A. It's unsettling how common it has become for companies to release half finished products these days because they can always just patch it later. With so many things changing this year, I'm a bit nervous.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Sounds good.

Yeah, it looks really promising. Just hope EA did a good job with Q&A. It's unsettling how common it has become for companies to release half finished products these days because they can always just patch it later. With so many things changing this year, I'm a bit nervous.[/QUOTE]

2k sports tried a similar thing with nba 2k12 and the website wasn't up until the second half of the year so, I'm skeptical.

do we have a list on the op of last years champs i think that would be a cool thing to add. i know pitfall had atleast 2 SB wins

[quote name='DVO21']do we have a list on the op of last years champs i think that would be a cool thing to add. i know pitfall had atleast 2 SB wins[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. Done. :)

We don't have a specific date yet, but I'm pretty sure everybody wants to wait on the first roster update. We should be ready to go right after that.

I'm fine with following your rules as I stated, was just expressing my opinion of dissatisfaction.

So moving on...lol

All I want to end up with is a team with a good RB, and hopefully I'll be unstoppable lol. Hopefully with the improvements to the passing game I can actually get a little better at that too.

After reading everything today, I'm going to bow out now before we get in too deep. Sorry guys, but I just won't be giving this league 100% and that isn't fair to N8 or anyone who is playing in this league. Even just playing one season and then dropping doesn't seem fair, especially since several people are using this as their only league.

[quote name='staticz']After reading everything today, I'm going to bow out now before we get in too deep. Sorry guys, but I just won't be giving this league 100% and that isn't fair to N8 or anyone who is playing in this league. Even just playing one season and then dropping doesn't seem fair, especially since several people are using this as their only league.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I appreciate you looking at things realistically. Honestly, this time of year, I think everybody is just excited about the game, and the thought of "Oh, I'd love to play in 2-3 leagues!" is easy to talk yourself into. But yeah, a month or so in, it's going to feel like all you do is play Madden. And really, with all that's going into online franchise this year (team practice, scouting players, etc.), keeping up with two leagues is going to be tough without favoring one over the other.

Just wondering about some of the rules I don't think I've seen posted. Quarter length? Accelerated clock? I usually play 7-8 mins with acceleration clock bringing it down to about 20-25 seconds. I know injuries were briefly mention. Personally, I think they should stay on but I don't really have a problem if they are off. Will there be limitations on trades and or free agency? What are some of the in game rules or play styles, like fourth down, two point conversion and overly running with qbs that are looked down on. Just some random things to discuss over the next week to kill time till the early release.

I've also heard the commish can choose how often you can use your XP to improve your players. Every week, every 3 weeks or in the offseason.

i hate the accel clock i hope we dont use it it waste so much of the playing time its not even funny. i think practice isnt as important as people think i also dont think all the extra stuff is as time consuming as people think either. practice prolly take about 10 minutes and then after one practice u prolly cant gain anymore xp like EA said they wont let people rack up a bunch of XP in cheap ways scouting is something that cant be extrememly hard im sure its another 5 minute thing and its depends on whether or not they make u do it all season long or just off season

Honestly, if the quarter length is increased then I don't have a problem with it. If people are going to milk the clock, they'll do it regardless of the acceleration clock. But if its 5 or 6 min quarters I don't mind no acceleration clock.

There hasn't been a ton of discussion about rules partly because I was waiting for the league to fill up more (though we definitely can start talking about them now)...but also because I want to get my hands on the game first to see what's a problem and what isn't. Fortunately, I'll have Season Ticket this year, so I'll be able to start my research on Friday.

But looking at these one by one for purposes of discussion:

1. Game Clock

Last year we did 5 minute quarters with no clock acceleration, which seemed to work well. I will let it be known though that I have no problem with people "chewing the clock". It might be lame to not snap the ball until :01 on the playclock early in the game or with the score tied, but I'm not going to force people to play a certain style of game either. Not every team is loaded with offensive weapons. Some teams are going to have to be strategic if they want a shot at winning. Not everybody can just run & gun down the field. I've always said, "If you don't like it...stop them on 3rd down." If anybody thinks we need to adjust clock settings because of this, I'll listen to opinions.

2. Injuries

This is a complete "let's see how the game handles them" thing for me. In Madden 12, I feel like the injuries were too severe and hit star players way too often. I had my top CB knocked out for 9 weeks by making a tackle for a loss. It was just too much dumb random luck for my liking. The idea that you can do something well and get screwed over is a bit much in my opinion. If things are as EA promised and injuries are more varied, with some that can be played through, I'll be fine with them.

2B. Weather

You didn't mention this one, but it went hand in hand with injuries for me in Madden 12. I ended up picking a dome team because I got sick of playing in the rain almost every single game. Rain games weren't enjoyable for me, and again, I felt like they brought too much of an element of luck into the game. At the end of the day, if I'm going to lose, I want it to be because my opponent outplayed me and was just the better team. This is also something we'll have to test to see if they've fixed it at all...and it will definitely be up for discussion. But for me, I'd rather have no weather than have some people stuck playing 75% of their games in a monsoon.

3. Trade/Free Agent Limits

Last year, we had a trade cap and only one designated time per season when free agents could be signed. This was to prevent people from going crazy, gutting their team, and signing every free agent available. But Madden 12 didn't have a salary cap either. I'm hopeful that this year, the new features in Connected Careers will handle that for us. I'd like to say no trade or free agent limits, but again, we'll have to wait and see if it works. Similarly, player progression will need to be looked at closely as well. I'd LIKE to do it more than once per season, but I'll need to do some testing to see how well that works too.

4. Playstyle Rules

A lot of this SHOULD go without saying, but yeah...it's better to be specific. In general, the rule is "Play like a real NFL coach would". This means you don't go for 4th downs on your end of the field. This applies until you get to the point that you think "If I don't make something happen now, this game is over." If you're losing 28-0 in the 2nd quarter, and have a 4th and 8 at your 46 yard line...it's not unreasonable to feel like you're at that point.

The flip side of that, say you don't convert the 4th down, your opponent is free to play however he wants in the 1st half. If he scores to go up 35-0 at halftime, he can feel free to put it in cruise control and run out the rest of the game. He might throw on 3rd down to keep the chains moving, but he shouldn't be airing it out with that big of a lead. That's exactly how an NFL coach would play it. I've always said, if you have a lead in the 2nd half, your objective should be to get the game over with as quickly as possible. That's what happens on Sunday. Running up the score will not be tolerated.

Two point conversions should not be attempted unless you're in a situation where the 2 points would bring you to within one score or tie the game. If you're in a situation at the end of the game where an extra point would tie it, but a 2 point conversion would win it...that's your call. I've seen NFL coaches go both ways with it. If your opponent's offense/defense has been hot all day and you're nervous about playing for overtime, it's your call. But if you're curious about scoring the first TD of the game and going for a 2 point conversion...yeah...not allowed.

Running with the QB is generally ok. But there are certain strategies where it is cheap. You shouldn't be calling 5 wide streaks just so you can pull the defenders deep and then immediately take off running with the QB. That's cheesy as hell and is basically trying to game the system. If you see your opponent dropping 8 men back into coverage, and there's just nowhere to throw the ball, of course, you can take off. The other issue is sprinting backward 20 yards with your QB out of the snap. That's also not a realistic example of a "running QB" (though I thought I read that QB drops were automatic this year...I haven't tested holding RT out of the snap in the demo to find out though). In general, the "play like a real NFL coach" rule applies here too.

Hopefully that gives a better idea of where this league stands on certain issues. My ultimate objective is to make the games as fair as possible regardless of who has which team. I want skill to be the determining factor in who wins these games, with as little extracurricular involvement from questionable EA programming as possible. Feel free to discuss any of these issues or ask questions though. There are still a lot of things to be figured out.

My only question about what you said is in the two point conversions. I feel sometimes when your ahead you can have a legitimate reason for going for it.
Example one: late in the game lets say two minutes left down by 1 point. Lets say the score is 42-41 and its been a real shootout. You score a touchdown, making the score 47-42. For me going for two would be the only logical choice. In this situation there really isn't a difference between having a 5 or 6 point lead. So going for two, you'll get a 7 point lead and be somewhat safe if your opponent scores a late td in this shootout situation.

Example two- lets say it late in the game again. Score is 21-20. You have 21 and your opponent has the ball. Lets say he fumbles and you return it for a touchdown. That gives you a 27-20 lead. If you go for two, you can make it a two possession game. If you miss the two you still have a 7 point lead but they could always go for two and win themselves. So its a risky strategy on your part.

Just two specific examples I feel should be reviewed. If you don't agree I have no problem not going for them and playing b the rules. Just trying to throw stuff out there and create some conversation about it.

i would say example one should be good to go for the 2 points because im almost positive that in real life if my defense was going agianst a QB like Brady Brees Rodgers and my defense wasnt good i would expect them to go for 2 and try and get that 7 point lead. Esp if its like a 1:30 or so left considering we know what thoughs guys can do with that much time on clock that i would say is fair.
Example 2. i would say no kick the Extra Point that gives u a 8 point lead and well its up to u to hold off the other teams offense.
but these are my opionions we will have to see wut N8 says but im almost positive he will agree

One reason I don't play vs. randoms online is people choosing 4-5 WR sets then audible to a 2 TE set (or something of the sort) and create tons of mismatches. I can see it happening maybe once in awhile, but I experienced this being abused in past leagues (not just CAG) as well as random online play over the years and it's just as cheap as anything else that's been mentioned.

So yeah, just a heads up. I don't tolerate this shit.

As for chewing the clock, I don't see it as a problem at all. Some people can't run and gun, just as some people can't do other things in the game. If clock management is your gameplan, then kudos to you.

[quote name='Chetty12']My only question about what you said is in the two point conversions. I feel sometimes when your ahead you can have a legitimate reason for going for it.
Example one: late in the game lets say two minutes left down by 1 point. Lets say the score is 42-41 and its been a real shootout. You score a touchdown, making the score 47-42. For me going for two would be the only logical choice. In this situation there really isn't a difference between having a 5 or 6 point lead. So going for two, you'll get a 7 point lead and be somewhat safe if your opponent scores a late td in this shootout situation.

Example two- lets say it late in the game again. Score is 21-20. You have 21 and your opponent has the ball. Lets say he fumbles and you return it for a touchdown. That gives you a 27-20 lead. If you go for two, you can make it a two possession game. If you miss the two you still have a 7 point lead but they could always go for two and win themselves. So its a risky strategy on your part.

Just two specific examples I feel should be reviewed. If you don't agree I have no problem not going for them and playing b the rules. Just trying to throw stuff out there and create some conversation about it.[/QUOTE]

Example one: I agree completely. In that case, you're protecting your lead by going for 2. And as you said, there's no difference between a 5 or 6 point lead. That's one we see all the time. I have no problem with that.

Example two: Not quite as sure on this one. I don't know if I'd call it "unsportsmanlike", but to me, the risk is much greater. If you kick the much easier extra point, you'd have a 28-20 lead...late in the game, insuring that your opponent needs a TD and a 2 point conversion just to send it to overtime. If you get the 2 point conversion, yeah you put the game away. But if you don't get it, you're creating an easier scenario for your opponent to tie the game. I probably wouldn't do it...but I'd like to hear other opinions on that one. Would anyone be angry if this happened to you?

im not quite sure if i would be angry or not. i think theres a good chance i would prolly be pissed. considering the fact i dont think u would see it often if at all in real life. its a SIM league so im thinking i would like it. trust ur defense and let that win u the game

[quote name='HydroX']One reason I don't play vs. randoms online is people choosing 4-5 WR sets then audible to a 2 TE set (or something of the sort) and create tons of mismatches. I can see it happening maybe once in awhile, but I experienced this being abused in past leagues (not just CAG) as well as random online play over the years and it's just as cheap as anything else that's been mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Agree completely. Those are not football plays. They're video game plays. I even have a similar feeling about running a constant hurry up. Due to the limitations of the video game, there are things that we can't have our players do at a moment's notice. We can't rush players off the field or switch our assignments quickly. Some people may think it's just the opposite of chewing the clock, but it's different when you're intentionally fatiguing players or running the same play over and over.

Supposedly, the game won't let players get so mismatched this year (ie. audibling speed receiver to tight end so he's covered by a LB), and the players will be covered based on the position they actually play instead of where they're lined up. But as with everything else...we'll see how good it works. ;)

[quote name='HydroX']One reason I don't play vs. randoms online is people choosing 4-5 WR sets then audible to a 2 TE set (or something of the sort) and create tons of mismatches. I can see it happening maybe once in awhile, but I experienced this being abused in past leagues (not just CAG) as well as random online play over the years and it's just as cheap as anything else that's been mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Definately agree manipulating formations to create unfair/unrealistic matchups is a big no no.

And to my example two. If your talking about how big of a risk it is, its still less than going for two if you're down by one. In that situation, you win or lose on that play. In example two, you get a two score lead or still have a 7 point lead. I'd be interested to see what a coach like Sean peyton would do in that situation in real life.

[quote name='Chetty12']And to my example two. If your talking about how big of a risk it is, its still less than going for two if you're down by one. In that situation, you win or lose on that play. In example two, you get a two score lead or still have a 7 point lead. I'd be interested to see what a coach like Sean peyton would do in that situation in real life.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it's a bigger risk. But I think it's viewed more on the level of a last second field goal. You're deciding that the game is going to come down to one play. A 2 point conversion with a 7 point lead just seems unnecessary because of the amount of things that would need to go right for your opponent to come back and tie the game if you kick the PAT.

For one, you know they're going to be airing the ball out to get downfield in a hurry, so they're going to need to beat 7+ DBs. They may not have any timeouts. They NEED to get into the endzone. And they NEED a 2 point conversion. Going for 2 just seems overly aggressive, when your defense just needs to come up with a stop in only one out of multiple scenarios.

I guess you could argue that even with a 7 point lead, MOST of those things would have to happen for your opponent to come back. To me, it just seems a bit unconventional. If you could find a real world example of this playing out, I'd be much more accepting of it. I'm just having a hard time believing a coach wouldn't just take the 8 point lead and be happy with it.

i mean if scenario two happened to me i would be pissed but i would respect the other guys decision, but in the way of being realistic, i dont see but maybe two or three coaches doing that in real life, and one of them would be the pats head coach

bread's done
Back