Call of Duty Black OPS

from playing the new dlc maps so far, feels like it's a rip off and i've purchased lots of dlc before. these maps have lots of camp spots. they're building after building full of a way in & out here and there and easily for people to just sit there and camp. played a team yesterday that all they did was camp their spawn...Boring. The zombie map is fun, but that's about it. I regret spending 1200 ms points right now but hey, i'll play them some more and maybe down the line i'll change my mind. There is a set playlist for the dlc though but it's basic team deathmatch, domination and regular search & destroy.

Every time I say the word "map pack", my wallet growls.

I wish they'd never priced that MW2 pack at 1200 points. Now that they know that people will pay for it, there'll never be a cheap map pack again. Well, in Call Of Duty, at least.

im going to pass on the map packs. The only one i would want to play is Stadium. Im getting sick of snowy maps and Kowloon just looks like a camper's heaven. We have too much of that already. The Zombie map pack looks cool as shit though.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']
I shouldn't have to make a class just for one map. That's fucking stupid.[/QUOTE]

Thats the reason I wanted the custom slot was just to make my nuketown class. I really hate that map.

I'm loving the new maps so far. Lots of fun and decent variety. The zombie map isn't awful either.

All in all, definitely worth the points I got for free from prizerebel/bing toolbar, and it's going to extend the life of black ops for me.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Every time I say the word "map pack", my wallet growls.

I wish they'd never priced that MW2 pack at 1200 points. Now that they know that people will pay for it, there'll never be a cheap map pack again. Well, in Call Of Duty, at least.[/QUOTE]After being spoiled by Undead Nightmare, this cost for a few maps seems ludicrous. Still, to each their own. I played 10 days worth of Cod4 and got the maps immediately and since I played them so much it was worth it to me while it still felt expensive. Since, I haven't played another Cod so much I got the Waw maps half off and am waiting on a similar deal for codmw2 and blops I guess.

[quote name='kklems']That isn't real. I didn't see a single teabag or hear any annoying 10 year olds screaming racial obesenities into their mics.[/QUOTE]

Then you must have been playing a Treyarch game that allowed XBL party chat ;)

[quote name='integralsmatic']i The Zombie map pack looks cool as shit though.[/QUOTE]

The zombie map is indeed, cool as shit. Probably my favorite map since the Swamp. Nice and big, outdoors, and plenty of things to do. I managed to make it to round 25 last night with two friends. Good shit.

I only buy the map pack for the zombie map (don't play MP), and $15* for one map is hard to swallow, at first, but in 3 days I've already sunk about 10 hours into it. :lol: I definitely get my money's worth, but it still seems wrong to give Activision $15 for one map.

*800 in Bing points this week also helped soften the blow.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']I wish I could give away my zombie maps. Played it for like 10 min, just not for me. Will stick with sp and mp.[/QUOTE]

This. I can't get into them, at all. And all the achevements are tied to zombie mode and campaign. That's pretty goddamn annoying.

If I want to kill zombies, I play L4D.

Yeah, I'm not big about the Zombie mode either. Which is odd given that I loved Horde mode in Gears. Something just feels different about this that I don't like nearly as much.

That said, I don't mind achievements being tied to campaign and zombies as I don't care much about them and I hate multiplayer achievements as it tends to lead to boasting etc. Though in this game they could make some related to buying all weapons, reaching certain prestiges etc. that comes naturally and doesn't create boasting.

Anyway, I like the new maps. A bit too much camping but that will probably improve some as people get used to them. I think people camp more until they learn maps to try and protect their precious K/Ds.

I have really enjoyed the Zombie mode since about WaW Map Pack 2. That's when they started adding achievements and it piqued my interest. If you have some decent people to play with that will work together and you lay out a plan with good communication it can be extremely fun. For me, having the achievements as a goal for Zombie mode really helped and the updates they made starting in WaW Map Pack 3 made it all that more fun. Unfortunately, pretty much none of the people I play Black Ops with these days are interested in the Zombie mode, which I find is a nice break from the multi-player on occasion.

I'd definitely be up for trying it some more with you and some others sometime Flesh--probably part of why I haven't gotten into it is the same as you--not having people to play with since around launch when I played with a few from our group a couple of times.

I'll have to look into the achievements some. Part of why I dug Horde in Gears 2 was all the achievements for getting through so many waves on each map etc. It at least gave the mode some goal/purpose.

Tried a bunch to score a code for the map packs, but no dice. Bleh.

Only way I'd get the thing is it if was free/won it. It's all good. How's Double XP going for everyone?

I can't play tonight, but I'm looking forward to it. I prestiged for the 1st time last night, need to get up to level 14 (level 7 currently) to get my trusty Famas back so I can suck a tad less!

[quote name='AlphaPanda']How's Double XP going for everyone?[/QUOTE]

So far its okay... Im getting about 6,000 to 10,000 a match on hardcore team deathmatch. I have been getting about 15-21 kills a game too. Wonder if any other game modes are better. I did a contract that was worth 500XP, but it didnt double. Wonder what is exactly doubles... just kills? If its just kills i wonder what games are best for this. Do higher killstreaks give you more xp than lower ones if they give xp at all? Im level 43 on my 8th prestige. Hoping i can prestige tonight with the double XP. Not sure if that will be possible.

Oh yeah here is a video from last night. The first part i break the window, climb in and shoot a claymore. Then i decide to lay down, all while not seeing the guy there. I didnt notice him till i was laying down and then i couldnt aim right because of prone.... it didnt end up well. The 2nd part was just funny because i landed on the guys head without even knowing he was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsMUhyPA4M

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JasonTerminator']This. I can't get into them, at all. And all the achevements are tied to zombie mode and campaign. That's pretty goddamn annoying.

If I want to kill zombies, I play L4D.[/QUOTE]

This

It's great that it's double XP but every "pro" player in the world is on this weekend. I've been doing pretty well for weekends on end but have had my behind handed to me all night tonight, mostly in the new levels.

I will also say this -- I f-----ng hate Kowloon. That and the Berlin Wall are prone to campers, probably because the design of both levels makes it more accessible to that. You can't even move between buildings in Kowloon without getting shot by campers. I guess it makes me appreciate the rest of the maps they designed because there are just too many damn buildings in Kowloon on top of the open areas. WAY too many places to go and just sit, whereas that wasn't a big problem in the original group of maps.

Discovery plays fair anyway and is much better balanced. IMO that's the best of the new maps. Stadium is ok (I prefer Dome from WaW for a "close quarters" type of map myself), Berlin Wall is cool at first but I don't think it's much better than WMD or most all of the older maps, and again seems like campers are the ones who'll get the most out of these new additions. :(

well i made it to 9th prestige this morning. Went from about 43 or 44 to prestige all today. Then i hit prestige and played almost two full matches of Hardcore TDM and went from rank 1 to rank 8. I cant wait to play more tomorrow and see how high i can get.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']It's great that it's double XP but every "pro" player in the world is on this weekend. I've been doing pretty well for weekends on end but have had my behind handed to me all night tonight, mostly in the new levels.[/QUOTE]

I really struggled early in the night. Once I got back to level 14 and got the Famas I started doing better. Had a really good stretch in the middle with some good rounds like 16-5, 11-1, 10-0 (on Nuke town no less--our team of cags had 3 guys with no deaths and one with only 1 death, won by I think 7500-1900 or somewhere around there). Then started to struggle a bit again as I got tired from playing way too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AlphaPanda']How's Double XP going for everyone?[/QUOTE]
Pretty good, I'm still only Lvl 38 as I originally had the game on PS3 sold it to get the 360 version as ours sucked ass.

I'm averaging about 8-9000xp per match. But I'm playing Domination as it usually lets you get more XP. Did have an awesome match where I got 24,000 xp this morning though in Ground War.

I thought it was only today and tomorrow too :cry:
I'll get to prestige by the end of tonight

Having the strela and just shooting every single thing out of the sky gets about 3000xp in a match itself sometimes

Played a ton yesterday and last night. LvLed from in the 30s sixth prestige to lvl17 7th prestige this morning. (played all night w/friend) went to bed and then today when I started to play again at 5pm I find that about 6h worth of lvling is gone. I am back at lvl 49 6th prestige. Also my background and emblem at set to defaults. They were only ever my initials BREV and I am a legitimate player who doesnt do any name calling, mean stuff or hacking. I am sure this is just some kind of glitch since it didnt toss all my lvling just like the last 6hs. Anyway I twittered that guy from the Tryarch and posted on their forums but I dont know how to go about getting this fixed.

Its super disheartening. I bought the map packs, play nightly, lvl when I can but now I just feel sort of like its a waste and I cant see playing that often for fear this will happen again. And because if its not fixed that wrong of them and they should support their users better. I want to jump back into the dbl xp weekend but now I dont know.

Kowloon is officially my most hated map now. At least Nuketown is fast.

I'm so goddamn tempted to eat the $15 and uninstall the whole map pack just to avoid playing that map. But I'll probably keep backing out instead, since I like the other maps.

[quote name='johney35']if you have one plz trade[/QUOTE]

The fact that you want it e-mailed to you rather then PMed to you and within the CAG trading system, sorta strikes me as odd, and I call shenanagins.

But, as for the double XP, I've been getting within 10,000-30,000 per ground war game. I literally feel like I'm playing Search and Destroy, almost every kill is 300+ points. I love this, I've gone up 40 levels(47-51, 1-36) since the start.

Went from 48 to 17 in a few hours. Hated levels 1-13 so much after I did prestige the first time, but for some reason I was putting up crazy numbers every game this time around. I was going like 25-5 with the enfield until I hit 14 and switched over to the famas. Now I just need to hit 26 again and I'll be good with the AUG until 44-50 when I start rockin the commando, then time to do it all over again.

Oh double XP, you will be dearly missed :whistle2:(

Anyone else having major lag problems. May be related to the influx of players, but wow. I mean, I admit I am HORRIBLE, but the killcam can't lie. Several times tonight 4-5 hits registered, player reacts with 1-2 shots, kill cam doesn't even show one hit. Very disheartening.

Not going to sell the game, but if it keeps this up, the legs aren't going to stand up on this one like prior CODs.

Really do wish there was a way to match up people of equal skills. Sub 1.0 KDRs send me a friend request on XBL to WillColtraine23.

I got to 9th prestige, level 35 today. I was hoping to hit 40, but now my new goal is to at least get to 50 before the event is over, and possibly rank up quick in the early ranks of prestige 10. Only thing that stands in my way is sleep and the superbowl. I read it doesnt stop till monday 8am PT, so hopefully i can squeeze out some xp in the early morning. Might be tough though, last time it took me all day to rank from 43 to 50.

Today i called in a care package on the stadium map inside the stadium because there is an open spot in the roof. But that didnt go well. It hit some beam, and when i looked at it again it was just floating in mid air.

One of my new favorite things to do is try to get the last kill cam on the berlin wall map. Either dive into no mans land and let the sentry gun kill me, or a few times i would run in there and spin in circles while using the flame thrower. The flames were pretty wild. My last game i dove out of the record store window into no mans land, and for some reason it looked like i was humping the ground. A few people had a good laugh at that.

Yeah, the lag sucks right now. I watch killcams and it turns out I'll be shooting right next to the guy, or I don't fire a shot while he lines up and kills me.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yeah, the lag sucks right now. I watch killcams and it turns out I'll be shooting right next to the guy, or I don't fire a shot while he lines up and kills me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had that happen a TON last night. Must be lagging more with so many people playing for the double XP as it hadn't bee as bad lately before this weekend.

I didn't play as long last night as I did the night before as I just couldn't take that crap anymore.

Yeah, I stink and haven't played a super ton (but still probably 7 or 8 hours the past two days) so I've only made it from level 7 to 30 on my 1st prestige. May play a bit tonight, but I was getting pretty burnt out last night with the lag etc. so I may skip it.

The lag has definitely been worse the last few days. I used to get solid green bars the majority of the time, but lately I've been getting a lot of yellow 2 bar connections. Really annoying. After a ridiculous match last night, a friend and I just went to the theater and laughed like hell as we shared some of our laggy/outrageous deaths.

The lag is bad, so many times lately where i shoot right on a guy and i get no hit marks, then he shoots back and i die. And its not even close. Some games i have to shoot a guy 2-3 times to get a hit and a kill in hardcore.

[quote name='The 7th Number']The lag is bad, so many times lately where i shoot right on a guy and i get no hit marks, then he shoots back and i die. And its not even close. Some games i have to shoot a guy 2-3 times to get a hit and a kill in hardcore.[/QUOTE]

This, is the reason why I have been cutting back on this game. I can't stand the lag.. I think the game is very balanced when compared to MW2(which I have gone back to finish up).

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Just played my first match of Kowloon.

...No thank you.[/QUOTE]

Kowloon is my fav right now.....I've gained a new appreciation for this game, still not playing it 24/7 like some of you though.

Is anyone else having hit detection problems after downloading the new maps? I unloaded about a half clip into a guy and didn't get one hit marker. Don;t get me wrong, my aim isn't the best, but I had this guy dead center and didn't hit him until the last half of my clip. By that time, I had to reload and he ended up killing me. Very frustrating.

bread's done
Back