Call of Duty Black OPS

[quote name='hustletron']3D is over rated.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Who cares, really. Buying a 3D tv in the first place seems like a colossal waste of money to me.

[quote name='tcrash247']Agreed. Who cares, really. Buying a 3D tv in the first place seems like a colossal waste of money to me.[/QUOTE]

It just hurts my eyes. I'm a 2D fan, myself.

The level of customization in this game seems to be pretty awesome. I haven't really dabbled in shooters much this generation. Any Black Ops doubters?

I was doubting Black Ops earlier but now that I've seen more vids and I've been reading on and off on the BO boards it seems the community(on the boards anyway) is a lot more, for lack of a better word, logical? There's a handful of fucktards on there but most seem pretty non-Halo-Reachish( go to the Bungie boards to see what I mean) which I like so hopefully that translates over to the game.

I'm probably going to purchase on Launch and play that a lot more than Reach.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Does anyone know if Theater mode will work with USB storage? If not I probably won't even get this game.[/QUOTE]

Cuz the theater doesn't work with USB you won't get a game that's more than likely going to be REALLY good.

Rather odd, but to each their own.

These last 2 and a half weeks are going by too slow.

Well I bought MW2 and WaW and MW on release. MW held me over for awhile, WaW not quite as long and MW2 I sold that crap pretty soon after release. I'm also not sure if I want to get BO just because I don't know how long I'll enjoy it. I was planning to get Socom 4 this fall, but obviously that was pushed back to next year sometime.

I don't even know if Coop will work right on BO with USB storage. Yea it's my fault for getting the arcade, but a good price combined with USB storage I thought I'd be good for the games I got a 360 for.

I think I'm just getting burnt out on shooters/games in general. I'm not trying to threadcap or anything. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if Theater worked with USB storage. I was looking forward to trying out Halo's theater mode and well that didn't happen. And I don't wanna buy a harddrive just for a couple games.

Yea. Watching these new videos posted is making it harder to wait for it. From everthing I have seen, the game looks fun, but since this team also made WAW and that blew chunks so I am holding out hope that they have stepped up to make Black Ops into a great game.

So.... lots of 'leak' videos out there now, probably gonna keep reappearing indefinitely despite Activision's copyright claims etc.

And now someone has a seemingly legitimate copy (CD looks perfectly correct, including silver ring), also boots up into black ops..same person started SP campaign and so forth.

Also uploaded (at time of posting, but said he was posting part 2) a video of Zombies.

I'm not gonna post the video, only because it will be down in short order, but feel free to youtube 'black ops zombies' later today, I'm sure. Edit: LOL, it was already taken down while writing, anyway.

This guy was also playing online with 3 others. Minor spoilers of what was in the video, follow:

Nazi zombies. (probably just for the first level?) *shrug*

Steve Blum voiced the character being played (GRUNGY!) (Spike from Cowboy Bebop and tons and tons of other game voices)

There are 3 maps that come with Black Ops, two of which have to be unlocked. The map played was called 'Theater of the Dead' (but in German), and seemed more like a mansion from what I saw.

Player bought an M73 shotgun (Black Ops), and an MP40 (WAW) - The M73 was available in WW2, though. I'm only speculating that WW2 weapons populate this level because it's the beginning and it helps ease players into the mode/continue WaW... I dunno, whatever.

All of the power-ups dropped by zombies still exist (Max Ammo, Double Points etc)

Overall it looked more like World at War's zombie mode but in an updated engine. It was definitely Black Ops though.

There are way too many speculations on how someone got the game so early, when it hasn't officially 'gone gold', so... I bet he feels like he's got a golden candy bar, though. >_>

Also, more speculation (all I've heard, I have not researched this, and it could be false for all I know) is that the new 360 dashboard update will land on Nov. 4th, potentially disabling J-Tags indefinitely. This would be excellent timing for Black Ops.

Lots of videos on YouTube if you look for 'Black Ops Leaked' or so. A lot of people were able to play a 'beta' version of it over the weekend for quite a while.

[quote name='Rhett']So.... lots of 'leak' videos out there now, probably gonna keep reappearing indefinitely despite Activision's copyright claims etc.

And now someone has a seemingly legitimate copy (CD looks perfectly correct, including silver ring), also boots up into black ops..same person started SP campaign and so forth.

Also uploaded (at time of posting, but said he was posting part 2) a video of Zombies.

I'm not gonna post the video, only because it will be down in short order, but feel free to youtube 'black ops zombies' later today, I'm sure. Edit: LOL, it was already taken down while writing, anyway.

This guy was also playing online with 3 others. Minor spoilers of what was in the video, follow:

Nazi zombies. (probably just for the first level?) *shrug*

Steve Blum voiced the character being played (GRUNGY!) (Spike from Cowboy Bebop and tons and tons of other game voices)

There are 3 maps that come with Black Ops, two of which have to be unlocked. The map played was called 'Theater of the Dead' (but in German), and seemed more like a mansion from what I saw.

Player bought an M73 shotgun (Black Ops), and an MP40 (WAW) - The M73 was available in WW2, though. I'm only speculating that WW2 weapons populate this level because it's the beginning and it helps ease players into the mode/continue WaW... I dunno, whatever.

All of the power-ups dropped by zombies still exist (Max Ammo, Double Points etc)

Overall it looked more like World at War's zombie mode but in an updated engine. It was definitely Black Ops though.

There are way too many speculations on how someone got the game so early, when it hasn't officially 'gone gold', so... I bet he feels like he's got a golden candy bar, though. >_>

Also, more speculation (all I've heard, I have not researched this, and it could be false for all I know) is that the new 360 dashboard update will land on Nov. 4th, potentially disabling J-Tags indefinitely. This would be excellent timing for Black Ops.

Lots of videos on YouTube if you look for 'Black Ops Leaked' or so. A lot of people were able to play a 'beta' version of it over the weekend for quite a while.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the beta version of the game just internal though in Treyarch? I didn't think anyone outside of employees or possible Hackers could get in. I heard First Strike was on the marketplace though, but I didn't think it was true?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Wasn't the beta version of the game just internal though in Treyarch? I didn't think anyone outside of employees or possible Hackers could get in. I heard First Strike was on the marketplace though, but I didn't think it was true?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but some people got a hold of (and leaked) a beta, which was MP modes only (no zombies, no SP, no combat training), and allowed pretty much anyone to play it. It was only playable by those assholes with JTAGs, as well, because of the types of files or something.

Treyarch closed the servers lastnight, for whatever reason (after leaving them up for an unknown reason).

As for the above video with the care package, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Looked about as fast as with the SMG out... It's possible he had Lightweight on, too (didn't check). I'm positive that care-package running isn't an issue like it was when MW2 came out.

Treyarch closed the servers I'm sure so they wouldn't have to keep shooting down new footage from the beta. I assume they left it up so employees could enjoy the game while waiting for it to come out, but after it got leaked they're like "close the gates!".

Yeah, the guy had Lightweight, Marathon and SoH. I might just be seeing things because the guy runs pretty fast anyway. BTW, for not technically being unlimited sprint, doesn't it seem like Marathon can get you a far ways around the map without stopping.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Well I bought MW2 and WaW and MW on release. MW held me over for awhile, WaW not quite as long and MW2 I sold that crap pretty soon after release. I'm also not sure if I want to get BO just because I don't know how long I'll enjoy it. I was planning to get Socom 4 this fall, but obviously that was pushed back to next year sometime.

I don't even know if Coop will work right on BO with USB storage. Yea it's my fault for getting the arcade, but a good price combined with USB storage I thought I'd be good for the games I got a 360 for.

I think I'm just getting burnt out on shooters/games in general. I'm not trying to threadcap or anything. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if Theater worked with USB storage. I was looking forward to trying out Halo's theater mode and well that didn't happen. And I don't wanna buy a harddrive just for a couple games.[/QUOTE]

Ah Arcade, I gotcha now, yeah my previous 360 RROD so I went and just bought an arcade since I had a 20 gig HD but 20 gig is getting filled rather quickly, been wanting to upgrade lately but at the same time my 360 is fine(knock on wood) and don't exactly have the cash for something that frivolous.

The First Strike that was on the marketplace was supposedly the Friends and Family beta for Activision/Treyarch/Microsoft.

I saw a commercial for this game. I thought it wasn't bad, but... This is CoD and Activision we're talking about soooo... I'll be avoiding it like the plague.

[quote name='sealionnn']Anyone else think this shit is just a stupid marketing scheme?[/QUOTE]

Dunno, don't care... it hasn't leaked, though.

Lots of gameplay footage all over youtube keeps popping up (from the Friends and Family beta that the JTags were playing. I laugh at Activision trying to play 'Whack-A-Mole' with them (the videos). Lots of people saved every video that popped up, spread them around, and people constantly keep posting them.

And, to keep feeding more information about Black Ops...

Jammers (equipment) apparently disrupt RC-XD users, making the RC car harder to control.

You can create and save custom game setting rule-sets (like changing health, regen, weapons, killstreaks and such) for private games/lobbies. There's also a rumor that private matches may have its own ranking system (like the difference between Combat Training and Multiplayer). No confirmation.

Offline games will have everything unlocked. Guests playing splitscreen online with someone else, will have their partner's unlocks, and then progress separately from then on. (unsure if it's saved permanently for that profile)

If anyone has any questions, I can try to answer them. I've been keeping up on the game, obviously.

It helps to keep an eye on David Vonderhaar's twitter, too.

[quote name='GenPirate']Which edition should I get? Regular or Hardened.[/QUOTE]

I think if you are going to use the Zombie maps, I would just step up to the hardened. The Zombie mode is wasted on me. Played it some it in World at War and I didn't really care for it so I picked up the regular edition.

I feel like they will release the extra World at War maps on the marketplace for some MSP and people will be pissed they bought hardened for them.

[quote name='hustletron']I feel like they will release the extra World at War maps on the marketplace for some MSP and people will be pissed they bought hardened for them.[/QUOTE]

It's 4 extra maps. They'll charge $20 for them if anything, which is the difference between regular and Hardened.

Even if they put out the maps for $10-$15, people might like the medal, avatar outfit and steelbook case that hardened comes with. Not for me since I am so cheap but some will prob pick it up.

I actually debated the whole regular vs hardened edition, and i chose to pick the regular edition. Most of the time i don't care for some of the extras that come with the limited edition's (except maybe Alan Wake's) but the MW2 LE and the World at War LE were not worth the extra money the last time.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']It's 4 extra maps. They'll charge $20 for them if anything, which is the difference between regular and Hardened.[/QUOTE]

Not when it's microsoft points.

I've been playing MW2 at my buddies house on his PS3 when we drinks beers and bullshit with the rocket launchers and stuff but all the same lame shit is still in the game to this day. I thought it was bad on release, this game is still bad. People take shotguns to the face and still stab you. If Black Ops can improve slightly over half the bullshit in this game they have a solid shooter. MW2 is still trash.

Not sure if this has been asked, but does anybody know if they will release a demo soon before release? or is it just such a big game that they know everybody will buy anyway so they dont need a demo?

[quote name='hustletron']Not when it's microsoft points.

I've been playing MW2 at my buddies house on his PS3 when we drinks beers and bullshit with the rocket launchers and stuff but all the same lame shit is still in the game to this day. I thought it was bad on release, this game is still bad. People take shotguns to the face and still stab you. If Black Ops can improve slightly over half the bullshit in this game they have a solid shooter. MW2 is still trash.[/QUOTE]

Huh? If you think they're going to charge less than $5 for each map, you're high. The only way its less is if they're bundled as a 4 pack for 1200 points.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Huh? If you think they're going to charge less than $5 for each map, you're high. The only way its less is if they're bundled as a 4 pack for 1200 points.[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about a price point guy? All I said was they may release them on the marketplace. You were the one throwing figures around and arguing with yourself.

You can get free MS points through Bing. That doesn't cost you a thing. Hardened costs $20 more than Standard. Do the math.

[quote name='hustletron']Who said anything about a price point guy? All I said was they may release them on the marketplace. You were the one throwing figures around and arguing with yourself.

You can get free MS points through Bing. That doesn't cost you a thing. Hardened costs $20 more than Standard. Do the math.[/QUOTE]

I'd say less than one percent of all the people who buy the maps from the marketplace will have used Bing to get their points. I doubt that's something people will get upset about.

Not to mention it doesn't matter how you get the points... Activision gets there cut.

You think that when you take advantage of a B2G1 sale that the third game is complete free and no one is paying for it? Hell no...

Last edited by a moderator:
Christ I was just making an observation. I could care less how everyone else gets the maps, points, game, I was just saying. I have a lot of MS points from Bing. OBSERVATION.

We all know how people are much less video gamers, go over to the Bungie boards if you don't. People will be mad because I'm sure a lot those people who bought BO Hardened did so for the maps and didn't want the extra crap.

How ever many people buy how ever many of whatever thing from the marketplace is irrelevant, I was just saying they will more than likely release the maps by themselves. If you want to shell out $20 for a fake medal that's fine I'm just saying.

[quote name='hustletron']Christ I was just making an observation. I could care less how everyone else gets the maps, points, game, I was just saying. I have a lot of MS points from Bing. OBSERVATION.

We all know how people are much less video gamers, go over to the Bungie boards if you don't. People will be mad because I'm sure a lot those people who bought BO Hardened did so for the maps and didn't want the extra crap.

How ever many people buy how ever many of whatever thing from the marketplace is irrelevant, I was just saying they will more than likely release the maps by themselves. If you want to shell out $20 for a fake medal that's fine I'm just saying.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Who the hell is paying $20 for a medal? People are paying $20 for early access to zombie maps primarily. You're acting like when Activision releases the maps on the marketplace, which they will, that people who buy Hardened will feel ripped off and that makes zero sense. Nowadays, people know ahead of time that the extra DLC stuff they get with Collectors and Limited editions is merely timed-exclusive content. If anyone is pissed that the extra 4 maps are released on the marketplace because they thought it would be exclusive is a certified moron. Also, why the hell would people even want that?

Who in the right mind is thinking, "fuck Activision! Now that they put these maps on the marketplace, it makes it THAT much easier to find people to play with"

The extra $20 for early access to the extra maps in the grand scheme of things is pretty reasonable, granted that you're going to be playing a lot of zombies. When they're released on the marketplace, they'll likely be available for the same price, or perhaps $5 less, but with Hardened, you have them early, and you also have the avatar outfit, steel case, and medal. The last 3 are fucking worthless, but its still something.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Huh? Who the hell is paying $20 for a medal? People are paying $20 for early access to zombie maps primarily. You're acting like when Activision releases the maps on the marketplace, which they will, that people who buy Hardened will feel ripped off and that makes zero sense. Nowadays, people know ahead of time that the extra DLC stuff they get with Collectors and Limited editions is merely timed-exclusive content. If anyone is pissed that the extra 4 maps are released on the marketplace because they thought it would be exclusive is a certified moron. Also, why the hell would people even want that?

Who in the right mind is thinking, "fuck Activision! Now that they put these maps on the marketplace, it makes it THAT much easier to find people to play with"

The extra $20 for early access to the extra maps in the grand scheme of things is pretty reasonable, granted that you're going to be playing a lot of zombies. When they're released on the marketplace, they'll likely be available for the same price, or perhaps $5 less, but with Hardened, you have them early, and you also have the avatar outfit, steel case, and medal. The last 3 are fucking worthless, but its still something.[/QUOTE]

We're arguing the same point, I obviously just wasn't very clear in my statements.

The underlined statement stands for the majority of people on XBL.

After seeing that killstreak list I'm thinking that the spy plane will be more crucial then ever to have in your arsenal.

Cause one; killstreaks dont count towards other killstreaks which means you gotta get your kills the old fashioned way with your guns. and the only way to do that is by knowing where your enemies are.

two; this makes killstreaks like the spy plane and black bird crucial to have. and very helpful in getting the higher level killstreak rewards like the dogs and chopper gunner.

Its this subtle layer of strategy that makes me wish these 13 days would go by sooner lol.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']What game modes do you guys see yourself playing? The wager matches seem pretty interesting.[/QUOTE]

1 in the chamber, gun game and sticks and stones.

Gun game will make me reminisce of my counter strike days.

[quote name='Trakan']I wish the wager modes weren't just FFA. They sound like they'd be more fun in teams.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more and I hope the community feels the same way in the months to come. Myself and a friend of mine could rake in some serious dough that way no question. I'm most looking forward to wager matches (because this is the only way I'll consider playing FFA) and the usual (Dom, Demo, TDM).

man i cant wait for this game to come out. I just hope its as gory as World at war with legs and arms blown off. None of this PG modern warfare wars.[/QUOTE]

There is supposed to be a dismemberment feature, so I would hope it would be gory.

I also think it's cool how you'll be able to customize your weapon with etchings and things of that sort, and how others will see it if they pick up your weapon.

[quote name='The 7th Number']
man i cant wait for this game to come out. I just hope its as gory as World at war with legs and arms blown off. None of this PG modern warfare wars.[/QUOTE]

There is supposed to be a dismemberment feature, so I would hope that it would be gory.

I also like how you can customize your weapons with etchings and such, and how if some one picks up your weapon they'll be able to see it.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']By the time I got to the link,it was dead. What was it?[/QUOTE]

Dude was running around "quick scoping" with the stock scope on what appeared to be a 1HK sniper rifle.

At one point in the clip he was behind some kind of box, he jumped and an enemy was on the other side, he no scope fires and shoots the enemy in the head.

People on the BO boards were saying it's somewhat of an old clip and Treyarch have altered things more so since that video was filmed.

According to Josh Olin, Treyarch's community manager, during a twitter Q&A session: "When you first sight-in, your sights won't be perfectly center. You'll have to take a moment to adjust (like a real sniper).”

They intentionally gimped quickscoping and I'm glad.

bread's done
Back