Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='Shinn23']I think Best Buy might have actually fixed their stupid Reward Zone system for online orders. I got points for something I ordered online a couple days ago. Either this is a fluke or they finally fixed it after it being fucked to hell for years.[/QUOTE]
I've noticed it working too, but for a while there I was getting other peoples points as well as my own. Only done one BB order in the last few months so I don't know for sure. That one worked and they posted the points immediately instead of pending for 36 days.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I've noticed it working too, but for a while there I was getting other peoples points as well as my own. Only done one BB order in the last few months so I don't know for sure. That one worked and they posted the points immediately instead of pending for 36 days.[/QUOTE]
I've ordered two thing since it was fixed and both times the points were added. I think it's safe to say that they finally got their shit together and fixed their system. My Zelda order was added right away as well instead of pending.

[quote name='craig64']Has anyone here ever ordered from Walmart.ca? I'm just wondering which company they ship with. I'm hoping Canada Post...[/QUOTE]

I ordered something back in July and it was indeed shipped via Canada Post. I can't say whether or not this is always true, as it's based on only a single order.

Just a quick question about Best Buy in-store pickup. Their email system has been incredibly slow lately, and I haven't been getting any emails for placing orders, order shipping, etc.. Right now I have an order placed for in-store pickup, but haven't received the pickup email yet. The order status on the site says it's 'Fulfillment Completed', which I assume means that the items have been put aside to pickup.

Can I just go in with the order invoice from the website to pick it up or is there going to be a problem because I don't have the email with me? Today's the first chance I'd get in anyway (ordered Tuesday evening), and the sale ends today so I would really like to pick it up tonight after work.

[quote name='cswloo']Just a quick question about Best Buy in-store pickup. Their email system has been incredibly slow lately, and I haven't been getting any emails for placing orders, order shipping, etc.. Right now I have an order placed for in-store pickup, but haven't received the pickup email yet. The order status on the site says it's 'Fulfillment Completed', which I assume means that the items have been put aside to pickup.

Can I just go in with the order invoice from the website to pick it up or is there going to be a problem because I don't have the email with me? Today's the first chance I'd get in anyway (ordered Tuesday evening), and the sale ends today so I would really like to pick it up tonight after work.[/QUOTE]

You should be fine without it; I've almost never brought in the actual confirmation e-mail. They should have it set aside under your name at customer service. I suppose it's not a bad idea to bring along the website invoice just in case.

[quote name='Derfel']You should be fine without it; I've almost never brought in the actual confirmation e-mail. They should have it set aside under your name at customer service. I suppose it's not a bad idea to bring along the website invoice just in case.[/QUOTE]

I just figured bringing the invoice would give them the order# if they needed it. Anyway, Best Buy seems to have cleared their email backlog and I now have the pickup notice. But it's good to know anyway, for future reference. Thanks for the info!

I did an in-store pickup once and they didn't seem to have any record of the lower price I ordered at other than the confirmation I bought in. They were going to charge me the current higher price til I showed that to them.

I received my Club Nintendo 2011 reward today. Came from Vancouver. This thing is in a flimsy cardboard box and they just threw it in an oversized bubble envelope. Amazingly it's not damaged but I think it's more at risk of getting crushed than the Zelda wiimote bundle was. Hopefully it comes through for other people too. It's the reward that's a bunch of Mario themed pins in a box. I think it's called the Platinum reward or something, for having 600 coins.

I got mine today too.
My postmaster even joked this can't be your package it's not banged up enough. I've had problems lately with banged up packages lately...

Their policy sucks. They sold me a defective used game and they didn't have a second copy for exchange but they refused to give me a refund. They insisted on me exchanging it for another game. I tried to reason with the guy in charge and they FINALLY agreed to give me a gift card with credit for the purchase. No refund, still got $21 credit there. I was not pleased. They told me it's their policy to not give refunds on used items.

At the moment FS has a 320G PS3 bundle for $250 with God of War III, Uncharted 3 & Metal Gear Solid 4.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=984f880327d81f2d732de26b88bc85d1en02
I was going to wait until boxing day to pick up a PS3 but I'm just wondering if this sale will be as good as they get before Boxing day or should I wait? I just have a couple gift cards I've never got around to using that I was thinking about using to purchase a PS3. Thanks for any heads up.

PS. Another question I had to go with this is the PS3 still worth picking up? The console was released in 2006 and I don't really want to pick one up if it's just going to be replaced within the next year.
PPS. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Universal PSN code for free Last of Us dynamic theme: G2LJ-GTNE-NKHM[/QUOTE]
Sweet, thanks! This game sounds interesting, I hope that it has co-op multiplayer.

Rewardzone certificates can only be applied to the pre-tax cost of an item, right? I want something that costs $17.99 and got a $20 cert. Pretty sure I can't do it without losing the last $2 of my $20 value. :(

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Rewardzone certificates can only be applied to the pre-tax cost of an item, right? I want something that costs $17.99 and got a $20 cert. Pretty sure I can't do it without losing the last $2 of my $20 value. :([/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it's post-tax. At least that's how it's always how they scan mine in.

[quote name='poiuiu']If you're still looking for it: Futureshop.
Best Buy has em too.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks!

I was at BB looking for it this weekend and they didn't have any. When I couldn't pull it up on their site, I assumed neither them or FS was carrying it.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Rewardzone certificates can only be applied to the pre-tax cost of an item, right? I want something that costs $17.99 and got a $20 cert. Pretty sure I can't do it without losing the last $2 of my $20 value. :([/QUOTE]

Last time I was there it was pre-tax. So for a 17.99 item you'd need to get something else to bump it to $20, at least that is what I was told.

[quote name='omfgkevin']anyone know if Uncharted 3 is going on sale on boxing day?[/QUOTE]
I believe that Sears has everything 50% off but I've read that they have a horrible selection of games (much like Costco, I'd assume). The person that went there said that they saw only a few games. Uncharted 3 was one of them (in that person's region of course). So it is possible that they might have it. I'd suggest that you check the your store before boxing day.

What happens if you buy something with Best Buy rewardzone certificates and then want to return it for a refund? I think I read somewhere that they give you cash, anyone know?

I learned today that you can't use rewardzone certificates on an item valued at less than the certificates. I was trying to buy something for $29.97 pre-tax and they wouldn't allow me to use my $30 coupon. Had to add a plastic bag for 5 cents for it to go through.

Has anyone seen or heard anything from HMV for Boxing day? They usually had good game deals but this year I haven't seen any ads or flyers.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I learned today that you can't use rewardzone certificates on an item valued at less than the certificates. I was trying to buy something for $29.97 pre-tax and they wouldn't allow me to use my $30 coupon. Had to add a plastic bag for 5 cents for it to go through.[/QUOTE]
Crap, you can buy bags? I had to purchase a chocolate bar last time. :/
On your other question, you can actually return any purchase done with rewardzone certificates and get a giftcard in return for the same amount. ;)

[quote name='Leshita']Crap, you can buy bags? I had to purchase a chocolate bar last time. :/
On your other question, you can actually return any purchase done with rewardzone certificates and get a giftcard in return for the same amount. ;)[/QUOTE]
Some stores charge for bags, some don't. The only stores that I shop at that charges for bags are RCSS.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Virtually every store in Toronto charges for plastic bags. It's an environmental thing to get people to use reusable bags.[/QUOTE]
Ford's putting an end to that. A lot of stores went back to the old habit of bagging things for me and "Would you like the receipt in the bag?"

I thought all the Sears stores were closing down? Or is that just in the US?

Edit: Nm, just 120 stores in the US. None in Canada.

TORONTO, Dec 28 (Reuters) - Sears Canada's stock dropped on Wednesday after parent company Sears Holdings Corp said it would close as many as 120 Kmart and Sears stores in the United States.
A spokesman for Sears Canada said the company would not close any outlets in Canada. Shares were down 7.1 percent at C$10.74 in early trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Well Sears pulled kind of a scumbag move to get out of issuing non-expiring gift cards. I returned a Xmas gift which I had the receipt for but didn't have the credit card it was purchased with. Instead of giving me a gift card for the value of the gift they gave me a special card with store credit on it that expires in one year. They gave it a different name than a gift card so they could put the expiration on it, that's pretty shady. If the item was paid for and returned you shouldn't be given expiring credit.

I think it's pretty much standard retail policy everywhere to refund in the manner in which something was paid for, but being a gift, yeah, giving a dated "gift card" isn't right. It's too bad this wasn't weeks ago. Sears is like the last place to go for games typically, but between the 50% off accessories and the 50% off games on boxing day they had, you could have easily spent the balance. :)

I wanted to know something, I pre-ordered a game off of Futureshops site with gift cards. How does it work once the game comes out? Do I have to go to their store to pick it up, or do I wait for the guy to deliver it, and use my cards then?

[quote name='OmegaChaos']I wanted to know something, I pre-ordered a game off of Futureshops site with gift cards. How does it work once the game comes out? Do I have to go to their store to pick it up, or do I wait for the guy to deliver it, and use my cards then?[/QUOTE]
When they ship the game they remove the value from your gift cards, just like if you paid with credit card they would take the money off that. Same thing.

[quote name='refinedsugar']I think it's pretty much standard retail policy everywhere to refund in the manner in which something was paid for, but being a gift, yeah, giving a dated "gift card" isn't right. It's too bad this wasn't weeks ago. Sears is like the last place to go for games typically, but between the 50% off accessories and the 50% off games on boxing day they had, you could have easily spent the balance. :)[/QUOTE]
I looked at the card, it says "store merchandise credit." I feel like they're just using a loophole to get around the law (I think it was a law they passed?) that gift cards can't expire. At least it wasn't 3 months like Rewardzone credit.

Does anyone know if EB takes the Signature Edition of AC:Revelations? I tried trading it in to Futureshop, but they wouldn't take it because it didn't appear on their computer.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Does anyone know if EB takes the Signature Edition of AC:Revelations? I tried trading it in to Futureshop, but they wouldn't take it because it didn't appear on their computer.[/QUOTE]

They should, it's their exclusive SKU. In any case, I'm fairly certain that EB won't refuse alternate versions based on differing UPC's (or lack thereof); they don't require the exact code to exist in their system like other places sometimes do.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Would Best Buy take it as a trade in? I don't really want to trade it in to EB, seeing how they're only giving 15$.[/QUOTE]

I think they work basically the same as FS, so I doubt it. If you have another EB qualifier, you can get a bump-up to $50 for any $49.99+ game or pre-order, I guess...

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']You'd get more money selling it on kijiji/craigslist. I only sell my games there, not worth getting ripped off at the stores unless they have a special deal.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

bread's done
Back