Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anyone know where I can get a new wired 360 controller for $30? Best I can find is on Newegg.ca for $40 with free shipping. Seems like all the deals are for the wireless one, I want wired for playing PC games. The US gets such good prices, Amazon.com has them for $30 but I won't be making a trip to the states any time soon.[/QUOTE]

This is probably a knock-off, but it's only $20 and has free shipping:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-wired-game-controller-for-xbox-360-black-300cm-cable-51830

I have purchased from that site in the past with no problems.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Does anyone know what happens if you purchase something with Rewardzone coupons and then return it for a refund?[/QUOTE]

I think I remember reading somewhere here (in this thread, maybe?) that they'd put the refund back on a gift card or something like that. Never tried it myself, so I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

[quote name='onemorechanc']This is probably a knock-off, but it's only $20 and has free shipping:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-wired-game-controller-for-xbox-360-black-300cm-cable-51830

I have purchased from that site in the past with no problems.[/QUOTE]
I've purchased there too, but the only reason I want a 360 pad is 100% guaranteed official compatibility with games so a knock off is not an option. I'm currently using a dualshock 3 with some emulation software and it works perfectly about 99% of the time but I'm thinking of just getting the official controller instead.

[quote name='Jamaal23']I think I remember reading somewhere here (in this thread, maybe?) that they'd put the refund back on a gift card or something like that. Never tried it myself, so I'm not sure if that's actually the case.[/QUOTE]
I thought I read that you got cash back but I was wondering if anyone can say for sure.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I thought I read that you got cash back but I was wondering if anyone can say for sure.[/QUOTE]

I've had the money returned on a GC, but that was over a year ago. I haven't noticed any policy change to state differently.

Great customer service alert! I went to Best Buy down at Eaton Centre in Toronto. I was hoping to get them to price match their 360 console branded controller to Newegg.ca's PC branded controller which was $10 cheaper. Different product names, model numbers, boxes. Chances were slim but I gave it a shot. The cashier was sharp and immediately tried to figure out whether they were the same product, then she left for a couple minutes. Came back and said that usually they wouldn't do this cause technically they're two different products but she's going to price match it for me plus 10% of the diff. Then she made sure I was set up with their gamers club for 2x the rz points. Another thing is she wasn't familiar with Newegg and it wasn't on their competitor list in the system but she just entered it in manually.

Then I used $10 rewardzone and got the pad for $29 before tax, great deal.

If the retailers have their own online store, then they should. I've PM'ed stuff at FS/BB from online prices before.

[quote name='Shinn23']You were VERY lucky. Retailers are generally not suppose to match online retailers.[/QUOTE]

Will they price match amazon.ca?

Newegg is not a retailer, they are an e-tailer. There should been no price match made. If Newegg has a retail B&M location anywhere in Canada a price match is fine. But in situation like this it, is still up to managers decision to match or not.

I've price matched amazon.ca in-store, but I guess I've only price-matched Newegg online. They were on the list of accepted retailers for an online price match so I didn't have any problem. I guess it could be YMMV in-store, but all you have to do for an online price match is place an order then call customer service to adjust it.

[quote name='retro.elite']Will they price match amazon.ca?

Newegg is not a retailer, they are an e-tailer. There should been no price match made. If Newegg has a retail B&M location anywhere in Canada a price match is fine. But in situation like this it, is still up to managers decision to match or not.[/QUOTE]

I went to FutureShop and bought a Playstation Vita last month. The worker told me to buy the accidental damage warranty for it but I didn't have enough money at the time. So I came back later and tried to buy it. I gave the lady $55 and she gave me 2 years of warranty.

I'm a little worried that she gave me the other warranty. I thought the accidental warranty was 1 year $50 or something. I can't understand anything on the receipt.

If I got the wrong warranty, would it be possible to get an exchange (for the accidental one)? Did I get the wrong warranty? :(

[quote name='ShoryukenII']I went to FutureShop and bought a Playstation Vita last month. The worker told me to buy the accidental damage warranty for it but I didn't have enough money at the time. So I came back later and tried to buy it. I gave the lady $55 and she gave me 2 years of warranty.

I'm a little worried that she gave me the other warranty. I thought the accidental warranty was 1 year $50 or something. I can't understand anything on the receipt.

If I got the wrong warranty, would it be possible to get an exchange (for the accidental one)? Did I get the wrong warranty? :([/QUOTE]
I would go back to the store and ask, and say you asked for the one you wanted and if they gave you the wrong one you'd like to switch it.

rh8zlx.jpg

I don't even...

I remember someone asking about Mario Nintendo DS holder while back. I saw 2 at Futureshop today will post a pic when I get chance.

It is available online Mario DS Holder and in-store.
IMG_20120411_202839.jpg

bnQ92rEYZhJMzzEa9ZXR0VZiRNfetY7njxyMp7EWyRU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='retro.elite']I remember someone asking about Mario Nintendo DS holder while back. I saw 2 at Futureshop today will post a pic when I get chance.

It is available online Mario DS Holder and in-store.
IMG_20120411_202839.jpg

bnQ92rEYZhJMzzEa9ZXR0VZiRNfetY7njxyMp7EWyRU
[/QUOTE]

Haha that was me. Thanks for posting it. I'd found them at FS a while ago too, but I wasn't expecting to pay 40$ for something like that. Especially when they sell other Mario type toys for 15-20$. Thanks for posting the pics.

I actually have another question: Why would FS change the price of something from 39.99$ to 39.95$? I got an e-mail about my watch list regarding that price drop.

I don't really feel like this deserves a new thread (especially since this is my first post on here in a while (or ever, can't remember if I've posted before)), but I have a question for other Manitoban's who may see this:

I was at my local EB Games today, and traded in NHL 12, because I'm done with it. I put the credit towards a future game, but I did not receive the usually bump to $30. I then proceeded to notice that all the [PUMP UP THE TRADE] signs were removed from the store.

Did Winnipeg finally come to their senses and repeal that stupid law and we can now trade in multiple games towards one again?

Anyone know where the best place to pick up an xbox live subscription card? My is due to run out soon and I have yet to pick up a new one.

If you're okay with paypal purchases or the like you can check the trading threads here, people frequently sell them anywhere from $38-45

[quote name='maigoyume']If you're okay with paypal purchases or the like you can check the trading threads here, people frequently sell them anywhere from $38-45[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Paypal works for me so I'll check that out.

So Amazon has a $8 off discount code on Ghibli Blu-ray's because of Arrietty:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005LAIGXM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

The discount is limited to one use per customer though, and I really wouldn't mind getting all 5 Blu's available now. Anyone know if you can signup 5 different accounts with the same mailing address and credit card, and not have any problems? I know you could back with the old Visa coupons, but that was ages ago.
Or is there anywhere else to get these Blu's for less than the $18-$22 range Amazon's doing?

If want to prepurchase Guild Wars 2 and get into the beta.

According to
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=bfd1549d2d7ff0328ce0bbc5e86a80f9en02 it costs $60 which I find odd for a PC title. But I see that preordering saves me $10.

I would have gone to the store and prepurchased but $10 off sounds very nice. But the shipping would bring the cost back up so is it possible to have this discount and do an instore pick up?

The beta key is included in a prepurchase package that I would receive upon paying full price ahead of time. Would I get this in the instore pick up (before release) while saving $10? Sorry if this is confusing. It's ArenaNet's fault. :p

At Best Buy do they tax the full amount before you apply rewardzone certificates? Like say I'm buying this $200 item and have a $5 coupon they'll charge me the tax on $200 and then subtract the $5? I can't remember how it works, I usually spend them on untaxable PSN cards.

I've only bought something with the RZ certificate once, but I believe they charged the tax first, and then applied the discount. When I bought DQIX for $19.99, I remember paying a little over $12 for it (used $10 off). That could only have happened if they applied the taxes first.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']At Best Buy do they tax the full amount before you apply rewardzone certificates? Like say I'm buying this $200 item and have a $5 coupon they'll charge me the tax on $200 and then subtract the $5? I can't remember how it works, I usually spend them on untaxable PSN cards.[/QUOTE]

They deduct it after they calculate tax on the $200; the tricky thing is your purchase must be greater than the value of the certificate before tax to even use the certificate. I never ended up finding out how it is possible that BB only gives points based on pre-tax dollars but the provided certificates are cash-equivalent (after tax deductions) as I think that rewards-based programs usually work on a concurrent basis of earning and redeeming (i.e. if you earn points before tax then the amounts deducted are before tax as well - similar to a sale).

Yeah that reminds me, once I made a thread here about being pissed that they charge me tax on the money I'm taking off with the coupon. I got nothin but grief, people telling me I'm an idiot. Good times.

A couple of times I wanted to redeem a $20 coupon on a $19.99 item, the clerk just offered me a 5 cent bag to make up the difference. Good thinking!

Anyone know if PSN cards bought in the states will work for us in Canada? Pretty sure they do, but want to double check before I throw my money down.

THEY DON'T. I ran into this exact problem very recently. If you're planning to use them on a Canadian account, I strongly advise against it.

[quote name='maigoyume']Anyone know if PSN cards bought in the states will work for us in Canada? Pretty sure they do, but want to double check before I throw my money down.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to make a new thread for this. I ordered a belt buckle from Ubisoft Workshop and they are located in Montreal but charged me in US dollars. Then they charged me Ontario sales tax in US funds. This doesn't sound right to me, wtf. They should have charged me in Canadian funds. Now I'm paying a US exchange rate on my Canadian sales tax, so wrong.

Katamari is $29.99 at Bestbuy. You could wander into a local store and try and get them to honor the $10 off $30 coupon. YMMV, due to that penny...

Edit: Failing that, a Amazon.ca reseller has it for $25.09 shipped (should be no tax?) right now.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I don't want to make a new thread for this. I ordered a belt buckle from Ubisoft Workshop and they are located in Montreal but charged me in US dollars. Then they charged me Ontario sales tax in US funds. This doesn't sound right to me, wtf. They should have charged me in Canadian funds. Now I'm paying a US exchange rate on my Canadian sales tax, so wrong.[/QUOTE]

Voip.ms does this too. Charges in US and adds GST. I feel your pain/confusion.

[quote name='maigoyume']Anyone know if PSN cards bought in the states will work for us in Canada? Pretty sure they do, but want to double check before I throw my money down.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Derfel']THEY DON'T. I ran into this exact problem very recently. If you're planning to use them on a Canadian account, I strongly advise against it.[/QUOTE]

If you are still interested in the card, the workaround is to make an American PSN account on the same system you plan to play the games on. Any games you download to that system will be playable by any account on that system.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']If you are still interested in the card, the workaround is to make an American PSN account on the same system you plan to play the games on. Any games you download to that system will be playable by any account on that system.[/QUOTE]
I think there are a few games that are locked to the PSN account it was purchased on, but it's pretty rare. Hmm, apparently they updated Warhawk and unlocked it. I can't think of any other games that were locked.

I got a question, my friend recently got me a game as a gift but got it for the wrong system. It's still unopened and he said he got it at best buy. Do you think I would be able to go their and exchange it for the same game but for another system. He said he lost the receipt and he payed with cash so he can't show a statement with the proof of purchase.

Not without a receipt. You might have better luck at Walmart... just pick a really busy day so the people at the customer service counter is too exhausted to care.

[quote name='Average Box']I got a question, my friend recently got me a game as a gift but got it for the wrong system. It's still unopened and he said he got it at best buy. Do you think I would be able to go their and exchange it for the same game but for another system. He said he lost the receipt and he payed with cash so he can't show a statement with the proof of purchase.[/QUOTE]

If a reward zone card was used they often can look up the purchase that way.

Had to do that once when I lost my receipt and had to price match as they had dropped the price.
Of course this is YMMV sort of thing, as you'll be at the mercy of the knowledge and willingness of the clerk you deal with.

[quote name='gamer602']Very likely if just a platform swap.
50/50 if for store credit
No way for cash[/QUOTE]

Well all i wanted to do was a platform swap so that's why i thought it wouldn't be to much of a hassle.

[quote name='Mr.']Not without a receipt. You might have better luck at Walmart... just pick a really busy day so the people at the customer service counter is too exhausted to care.[/QUOTE]

I know wal-mart would do it but I don't even think wal-mart has the game with the soundtrack.

[quote name='Lockescythe']Your other option is just going to a local gaming shop and asking for a swap.[/QUOTE]

I'll try that as well if the best buy thing doesn't work out.

[quote name='irishcthulhu']If a reward zone card was used they often can look up the purchase that way.

Had to do that once when I lost my receipt and had to price match as they had dropped the price.
Of course this is YMMV sort of thing, as you'll be at the mercy of the knowledge and willingness of the clerk you deal with.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately he doesn't have one, so one was never used.
Well i'll try anyways. Worst case scenario is they say no.

[quote name='Average Box']I got a question, my friend recently got me a game as a gift but got it for the wrong system. It's still unopened and he said he got it at best buy. Do you think I would be able to go their and exchange it for the same game but for another system. He said he lost the receipt and he payed with cash so he can't show a statement with the proof of purchase.[/QUOTE]

This story just screams bullshit.

So you--err--your friend, buys you a game for a system you don't own (you guys talk much?), pays cash and immediately tosses the receipt. 'Cause, you know--he's so sure you actually own the system in question he can toss that receipt. Though I suppose it would suck to open it and find the disc snapped in half...

You don't list what game it was either.

So I can only assume "your friend" bought a clearance game that either the store didn't have any more of for the system you own, or more likely the one you bought was discounted, and the version for the system you own was not.

Please don't abuse the return policies of corporations with bullshit like this--I beg of you.

We used to be able to buy electronics at Costco, and if my receiver died 6 years later they'd refund me! But no, people decided to start buying TVs for the sole purpose of "yearly upgrades". Never pay a penny more and just upgrade your TV! Hell, buy a projector and burn the bulb out--return it and get a new one!

Costco had some guy return a PS2--TWO--get his money back and apply it to a PS3 claiming he was no longer satisfied with it.

So when you invent stories to format swap software with no receipt, eventually companies turf their return policies. Walmart makes lots of money blah blah blah--I'm aware--but your actions hurt other consumers--and yourself--it just takes time...

If you'd claimed your clueless grandmother bought you the game I'd be more inclined to believe you--but your friend doesn't know what system you have and goes out and buys you games? A game you won't name because we'll recognize it as a recent system-specific clearance sale? Come on.

(Feel free to take some time to flesh out your story--find a game that's the same price on both systems and claim its the game he gave you etc. etc.)

/grabs popcorn

bread's done
Back