Captain Lou Albano (1933-2009) memorial wrestling topic

The newest Figure 4 Daily audio update states that not only is "Dr. Death" Steve Williams' cancer back, but that he can only do chemo now, after the failure of a pill-based trial drug for treatment, and his body can't handle surgery. In some positive news, Booker T's likely WWE bound - the company wants him, and each brand's creative team has a plan for him, but he'd probably go to SD. There are also a couple of TNA guys who want to go to WWE soon, including someone who just re-signed with TNA, but Alvarez didn't name names.

Some thoughts from Steve Austin concerning Jeff Hardy, among other things.

Steve Austin told the UK Sun this week that he reached out to Jeff Hardy "a while back" but he can only do much to help someone with personal problems.

"I called him a while back and talked to him," he said. "He's a good looking kid, he's got a really unique style, people love him, he has his own kind of charisma. I wish he could put it all together and get his personal demons behind him... He got caught with a lot of stuff and we'll see what happens."

He said he's reached out to wrestlers before who he heard had issues with drug abuse or addiction. "I've called a few guys when I hear some of them getting into problems," he said. "I try to give my two cents to the situation. They'll all swear that everything is cool, it turns out things aren't cool. [Vince McMahon] has offered to pay for rehab for anybody who wants it. Some people have taken him up on it, some people haven't. I get made when people point the finger at Vince and say it's his fault. It's not his fault. He's a third generation promoter who runs a wrestling company. I take responsibility for all my actions. I think everybody should. I refuse to think that it's Vince McMahon's fault for any of this."

He said Jeff Hardy has created challenges for WWE, because he's so popular and talented, yet there's a risk with pushing him as much as they might like to otherwise. He said the recent arrest just accentuates their need to be cautious with him over the years.

"Man. This last thing I just heard about the other day when I was driving back from Texas to L.A.," he said. "They never gave that guy a full green light push, but you can't keep him down. All the calamity and trouble he gets into, but people love him. If they ever fully gave him a green light push, who knows what would happen? But you can't do that because you don't know what he's going to do because all of a sudden you have all of this time and money invested and then he screws up. So who knows what's going to come out of it, if he's going to do time or whatever. He has some serious stuff going against him."
Vince offering rehab? Sounds interesting, if nothing else.

Steve Austin says he keeps up on pro wrestling, TiVo'ing WWE programs all the time so he can watch them if he has time later. He says he understands WWE is taking a PG approach for strategic reasons in stark contrast to the Attitude Era he's synonymous with, but doesn't believe it's necessarily a winning formula.

"They've toned it down. You always go for that coveted male demographic," he tells the UK Sun. "But really, they're trying to I think entertain such a large demographic so there's something for everybody, you know, sometimes I think they miss the mark in that respect. As much as the kids and the girls love John Cena, some of the smart fans boo him because they want to boo him. I think he tows the line very well as far as that goes... I just think, you know me, here we go on the creative deal, but as long as you have serious storylines, you can do humor, but don't make slapstick comedy. I always think it revolves around the championship belts and a personal issue, but not the stupid personal issues."
Austin was also asked to participate in the 10th Anniversary of Smackdown, but couldn't, due to prior engagements (filming "Chuck").

Booker on Smackdown would at least help their serious heel shortage, at least until Edge comes back (which I sort of hope he returns as a face).

As far as TNA resignees that want to go to WWE, a tasty chocolate milkshake says it's Matt Morgan.

[quote name='JJSP']Booker on Smackdown would at least help their serious heel shortage, at least until Edge comes back (which I sort of hope he returns as a face).[/QUOTE]

Assuming Booker goes back to WWE and SD they shouldn't do any buildup at all, just have him do some type of run-in to screw someone over in a fairly big match. Everyone knows who he is so no buildup is necessary and he's the kind of guy who can make that kind of quick impact.

They had Edge do an over-the-phone face turn with Jericho throwing him under the bus about how he's injury-prone and not worthy to be his partner. Talk about anticlimactic. IMO, Edge has to return as a face. As a heel he's thoroughly played out. He's never done much for me outside of tag teams so I'm a hard sell but we'll see what happens. For the love of all that's holy, though, stop putting the belt on him.

I watched MVP's match, with Mark Henry, on the latest RAW. I haven't watched in a while, but it seems like he's gotten quite over with the fans. Neat. /thumbsup

I don't even hate Edge as champion, I just wish he'd hold the damn thing longer than a month and a half. He defines the term "transitional champion".

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Vince offering rehab? Sounds interesting, if nothing else.[/QUOTE]

This isn't new news. It's been known for a couple years now. Several people have taken him up on the offer, Xpac is one I know for sure.

[quote name='neocisco']As far as TNA resignees that want to go to WWE, a tasty chocolate milkshake says it's Matt Morgan.[/QUOTE]
He and AJ actually signed on to stay with TNA for another 5+ years, actually.

I stopped watching as soon as I saw the dude who stole Cloud's hair.

Too much goddamned flipping in the ring anyway. I'm not impressed by flipping.

[quote name='JJSP']I don't even hate Edge as champion, I just wish he'd hold the damn thing longer than a month and a half. He defines the term "transitional champion".[/QUOTE]

This. This so hard.

Being a 9-time champion in the span of 3 years is ridiculous.

[quote name='mykevermin']I stopped watching as soon as I saw the dude who stole Cloud's hair.

Too much goddamned flipping in the ring anyway. I'm not impressed by flipping.[/QUOTE]

That guy is from Kaiju Big Battel. I don't know what he is doing there to be honest. Either way, I thought some of the stuff was breath taking.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JJSP']I don't even hate Edge as champion, I just wish he'd hold the damn thing longer than a month and a half. He defines the term "transitional champion".[/QUOTE]

A month and a half would probably be a record for him. At this point, IMO, he's been ruined. I just can't take him seriously as champ because as soon as he wins it becomes a guessing game to see who he'll drop it to and will it take 1 PPV or two?

[quote name='Mr. Beef']He and AJ actually signed on to stay with TNA for another 5+ years, actually.[/QUOTE]

Jay posted about one of the resignees wanting to go which is why I picked Morgan.

[quote name='onetrackmind']Tomorrow i'm going to my first ever ROH show, i'm excited to finally see Colt Cabana live.[/QUOTE]

You're going to love The Young Bucks & Davey Richards vs. Kenny Omega. Do your best to have a good time and I hope you have fun.

[quote name='neocisco']Jay posted about one of the resignees wanting to go which is why I picked Morgan.[/QUOTE]
I know.

I'd put my money on Jay Lethal, in all honesty.

I could see Lethal going - he'll probably go back to ROH like Dutt did and I'm sure he could carve a niche out for himself there again. Lord knows their talent roster could use some depth - maybe they'd even make him world champion.

Yeah, he was part of the interrogation a couple weeks ago, and took part in the three minute-long FIVE MAN LADDER MATCH on Impact last week. The one where Creed puked all over the place.

[quote name='mykevermin']TNA is still on the air?[/QUOTE]

yeah, so it seems.

so, im kinda pissed SD is in lexington next week but i sadly cant afford to go. id love to being as out of all the house shows and two ppv's ive been to i never got the chance to see taker wrestle, also id like to see cm punk, hart dynasty, jericho, and a few others. but, so it goes

They gotta get Main Event Mafia off the air. That shit is beyond boring.

Ahahaha @ Motor City Machineguns shitting on their own entrance music.

Good opening, although Foley and Abyss starting the show week after week is really making other matches seem less meaningful since it isn't a main event-level match, and the show's actual main event - Styles vs. Sting for the world title, hasn't had anywhere near the level of build as this match, which has nothing at stake and is due to a picture being broken. Mick banning the bounty of Stevie was pretty stupid since right after this, Angle started a new one - only for EY...and for less money than DR. STEVIE! Apparently, he has deeper pockets than the leader of the Mafia - the alleged most dominant group in the history of wrestling.

Nash vs. Hernandez was the first match...20 MINUTES INTO THE SHOW, and went three minutes, with Hernandez dominating and then EY interfered. For whatever reason, despite attacking only Hernandez, a no contest was ruled instead of a DQ. And Nash lost out on the winner's share of the purse, which his character SHOULD care about, but he was apparently fine with that since EY promised him twice what Angle was offering to side with him against Hernandez at BFG in a three way. So again, Angle is being outspent by someone lower on the totem pole than him.

Red vs. Joe was a nothing match, but still bugged me. For one thing, they completely neutered the whole "THE REFS HAVE MORE POWER" as Earl just let Lashley come in and destroy Joe with like five moves. Why? Because Joe allowed him. Why he wouldn't just... SAY NO, I have no idea. And after Joe killed Ref for a minute or so, he's hit by a flurry of stuff from Lashley, peaking with a full nelson slam, and after about 30 seconds of being beaten up, he was pinned by Red. So he looks like a jobber for losing after only taking a beating for so little time, and Red doesn't gain anything with the win since Lashley did all the work. And somehow this TWO ON ONE MATCH is the biggest upset in TNA history. Yup. Way better than when Lethal BEAT THE WORLD CHAMPION CLEAN for this title. Joe's post-match promo with him yelling and screaming was fine - it wasn't a classic, but made me want to see the match more than Lashley's beating did. Throughout the show, we got some really stupid BFG ads stating that the title match could be Sting's last match ever - why? They never bothered to build that up before tonight. They also had stupid things like EXTREME HARDCORE as the caption for Foley-Abyss and MMA VS. TNA for Joe vs. Lashley.

Homicide and THE POPE!~ vs. Suicidee and Daniels was an okay match, but it was too short, and a horrible showcase for the Ultimate X with the lack of flying, and for whatever reason, Homicide attacked the other, non-Guerrero Spanish broadcaster who was apparently a honest, upstanding citizen in some storyline that I've seemingly completely forgotten about. And the Ultimate X isn't for the X title - despite Red clearly just being a transitional champion would isn't going to gain anything by being champion right now whether the reign lasts a week or three weeks, and he could at least be given a chance to shine in the Ultimate X match, which would actually make the match mean something beyond appointing a new number 1 contender for a week. So after doing a poor job of building that up, they build up the four-way double title ladder match where far too much happens at once and they fail to cover any of it well. All I remember is Steiner being sideslammed by Terry and him wearing a stupid-looking white belt.

The knockouts get a showcase with an 8-girl tag. As the match goes on, it's revealed that it's an elimination match. Why you wouldn't build that up at all, I have no idea. They also didn't build up Hernandez vs. Nash before it happened, and that was a title match. The match was fine, I loved Sarita winning with a small package, and nearly winning the whole thing before a bunch of interference cost her.

After this, we're about an hour into this match and there's been zero mention of Sting vs. Styles on the main show. Thankfully, Sting then comes out to allow Angle to build up Angle vs. Styles for the SUPER IMPACT!~ 3 days before the PPV match. Oh and by the way, the BFG match may be Sting's last. Yeah, but that can't get more than 30 seconds of airtime. It's much better to build up the free TV match instead of the PPV main event.

Then Joe comes out, yells more, and he and Lashley build up a submission match with a balcony dive spot. On free TV. For one thing, it's stupid to build up a submission match with one, for another, it's really stupid of Lashley to risk injury like that when he's training for MMA and Joe's been banged up forever, so it was dumb for him to do this too. And neither man's submission is really all that over, either. Plus, with the TNA vs. MMA moniker for it, when Lashley wins, it'll send the message that MMA>TNA - AND TNA'S THE ONE SENDING THE MESSAGE! Then they cut away from a commercial break to show Lashley being helped up...and then go right back to commercial. Stupid shit all around.

The knockouts title is then defended, and again, we get a title match with no build in any way on the show. Is it too much to ask for a single graphic at the start of the show? This was a title match-heavy show, and not a single one of them got that - although Joe vs. Red was known before this since Red won the five-man ladder match last week. Tara and ODB didn't mesh well and then the match ended with an overbooked ending.

Morgan and Abyss vs. Foley and Angle might've meant something if they'd shown anything about the history between the guys in it. As it was, I struggled to remember that Morgan and Abyss were ever partners, or feuded, and they didn't bring up Foley and Angle's past even though it was pretty recent and involved the World Title. Despite that, I liked the match itself. Abyss took an awesome bump for the shot to the knee from Angle, and I enjoyed seeing Foley set things up by distracting the ref by having him throw Stevie out so he could plant the bat and use it. I'm glad they also made the Shock Treatment mean something by having Taz bring up how damaging a move like that is to Angle - a man with a lot of spinal problems. Since Lashley does a version of it, I was concerned about it hurting Abyss, but stuff like this helps prevent things like that from happening. And then Morgan just pinned Foley with no build and they didn't call attention to it. Well, I'm sure they'll use it later to build him up when he's back in the world title hunt, but that bugged me. Pinning Foley SHOULD mean more than that.

This show failed hard at so many things tonight - it started leaving me wanting to see Abyss vs. Foley, but by the end of the show, I didn't care about that as much as I did before, and I was left with less interest in every other match they tried to build up, including the PPV's main event, which came off as secondary to AJ vs. Angle on Super Impact!

Screens -

Quotes -
(as Abyss puts barb wire around the ropes)Tenay - CHECK THIS OUT, TAZ! IT’S ABYSS AT WORK!
Abyss - YOU SEE, MICK! I’M MAKING MYSELF FEEL AT HOME HERE IN THE IMPACT ZONE! What I’m doing is I brought some friends from home…(brings out tack bag) JUST SO I COULD FEEL COMFORTABLE, MICK! YOU SEE, MICK, YOU’VE WRESTLED ALL OVER THIS PLANET! YOU’VE ENTERTAINED FANS IN EVERY STATE AND YOU’VE BLED ON EVERY CONTINENT! BUT MICK, YOU’VE NEVER BLED LIKE I’M GONNA MAKE YOU BLEED AT BOUND FOR GLORY! You see, Mick… I’M HERE TO CHALLENGE YOU TO A MATCH FOR BFG! AND NOT JUST ANY MATCH - I’M CHALLENGING YOU TO THE SIGNATURE MATCH OF HARDCORE WRESTLING EVERYWHWERE - THE MONSTER’S BALL! AND MICK! AT BOUND FOR GLORY, YOU’RE NOT GONNA HAVE A VERY NICE DAY BECAUSE I’M GONNA BEAT YOUR ASS! (Foley comes out immediately)
Mick - Using my catchphrase against me? You wanna challenge me to a Monster’s Ball…Let me tell you something…
Abyss - LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, MICK! LAST WEEK, YOU CALLED ME A CHEAP FACIMILE! A CARBON-COPY! YOU CALLED ME A CHEAP KNOCK-OFF! LEMME ASK YOU SOMETHING, MICK! WAS THAT CHEAP KNOCKOUT WHEN I MAIN EVENTED BACK IN 2004 AT THE FIRST LOCKDOWN PPV!? WAS I A CHEAP KNOCKOFF IN 2005 WHEN I COMPETED WITH SABU IN THE FIRST BARB WIRE MASSACRE! 122 STITCHES - TNA MATCH OF THE YEAR! NO! WAS I A CHEAP KNOCKOFF IN 2007 WHEN I DEFEATED STING TO BECOME THE TNA WORLD CHAMPION!? NO! That was me! CHRIS PARK! ABYSS! You know what, Mick? While I was spilling my blood, what were you doing? WRITING CHILDRENS BOOKS AND PLAYING WITH SOCK PUPPETS!YOU KNOW WHAT, MICK! YOU’RE RIGHT! THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOU AND ME! AND THAT IS I’M HARDCORE AND YOU JUST DO STUPIDITY! YOU’RE THE CHEAP KNOCK-OFF, MICK! KNOW WHY!? BECAUSE YOU’RE ONLY HALF THE MAN YOU USED TO BE!
Mick - I never said you weren’t hardcore - I said you were gonna be a star in TNA for a long time to come, which is why as executive shareholder, which is why I’m banning the $50,000 bounty on Abyss. TNA is gonna be your home for a long time to come. But as far as me being half the man I used to be…AT BOUND FOR GLORY, WE’RE GONNA FOUND OUT! TELL YA WHAT, CHRIS! MONSTER’S BALL! YOU’D BEST BRING YOUR A GAME BECAUSE I’M SURE AS HELL BRING MINE! (fans cheer him wildly) You know…come to think of it, I’m gonna TWEAK that just a little bit. I talked to a friend of yours, and he seems to think you’re over-reliant on certain objects, so in this one, you cannot use THUMB TACKS! This will be a special Monster’s Ball, and it requires a special guest referee, and I know someone very special - DR. STEVIE!
Stevie - WELL WELL WELL, WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE!? CHRIS, YOU’VE DONE IT ONCE AGAIN@ YOU’VE ALIENATED EVERYONE AGAIN! THIS IS HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF! Evcn the hardcore legend, your idol, has been alienated by you! NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOU! EVEN YOUR MOTHER NEVER LOVED YOU! YOU’RE NOTHING MORE THAN AN ANNOYANCE - A CROSS FOR HER TO BEAR! OH GREAT…
Tenay - THAT’S LAUREN!
Stevie - Go ahead, Chris. HIDE UNDER THE SKIRT OF THE $20 A NIGHT STREET WALKER!
Tenay - WOAH!
Abyss - WHAT DID YOU SAY!?
Stevie - YOU DIDN’T HEAR ME?! GO HIDE UNDER THE SKIRT OF THE $20 A NIGHT STREET WALKER!
Abyss - THAT’S WHAT I THOGUHT YOU SAID! (he throttles Stevie)
JB - It looks like the honeymoon is over between the World Elite and the Main Event Mafia…
EY - The war is over - I’m here to say that there has been a strong victory by the WORLD ELITE! LAST WEEK, WE SHOWED YOU THAT WE ARE THE MOST DOMINANT FORCE IN TNA!
JB - I HEAR THAT YOU’RE GONNA FACE HERNANDEZ AT BOUND FOR GLORY!
EY - I will never face him one-on-one! HERNANDEZ, YOU’RE NOT IN MY LEAGUE!
JB - Kurt, Eric Young said that the World Elite was the most dominant force in TNA!
Angle - Say it again…SAY IT AGAIN! NOBODY DECLARES VICTORY OVER THE MAFIA! WANNA SEE DOMINANCE? I’LL SHOW YOU DOMINANCE! ANY MAN THAT TAKES OUT EY WILL GET $30,000! A $30,000 HIT ON ERIC YOUNG! THIS IS HOW WE DECLARE WAR MAFIA-STYLE!
Tenay - LAST WEEK, HERNANDEZ WOULDN’T SUCCUMB TO THE PEER PRESSURE OF ERIC YOUNG, AND HE PAID THE PRICE!
Taz - It’s all aboud DA BENJAMINS TO NASH!
Taz - Look at the size of Hernandez’s back - you could show a movie on dat ting!
Crowd - FIRE ERIC! FIRE ERIC!
(after EY clips Hernandez from behind)Tenay - HE JUST COST HERNANDEZ ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP! THIS TIME, THE LEGENDS TITLE!
Nash - Eric, what the hell was that out there!?
EY - I know what makes you tick - money and info, and Kurt just put a hit out on my head for $30,000?
Nash - So what’s keeping me from beating your brain in?
EY - Because I’ll double that, and I propose something for BFG - instead of me versus Hernandez one-on-one, we make it a 3-way for your legends title. Everyone wins.
Nash - You look good in that suit.
Lauren - HERNANDEZ HAS SUFFERED DAMAGE TO HIS SURGICALLY REPAIRED NECK!
(after Red gets NO ENTRANCE)Penzer - HIS OPPONENT, THE TNA X DIVISION CHAMPION, SAMOA JOE!
Taz - Joe feels that facing Red is a disrespect to the championship.
Taz - Yeah, well Red is an amazing competitor, but he’s giving up a lot of size and experience to Joe. It’s like a bike versus a TANK! How ya like that analogy?
Taz - Why isn’t Earl getting Lashley out of here?
Tenay - WELL, IF I READ LIPS CORRECTLY, JOE SAID HE WANTS LASHLEY IN THE RING! (Lashley beats him up)
Taz - And the ref let it happen!
Tenay - BECAUSE JOE INSISTED ON IT!
Tenay - IT’S THE BIGGEST UPSET IN TNA HISTORY!
Ad Guy - Abyss vs. Foley - HARDCORE EXTREME!
Ad Guy - Joe vs. Lashley - MMA VERSUS TNA!
Joe - LASHLEY! BOBBY! YOU WANNA COME AFTER ME! YOU ARE IN MY SIGHTS! THIS IS A WAR AND I GUARANTEE YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE! YOUR DAYS AND EVERYTHING THAT YOU ARE IS NUMBERED! TONIGHT, I’M GONNA LEAVE JUST A LITTLE PIECE OF YOU TO EXECUTE AT BOUND FOR GLORY!
Tenay - TNA management has asked me to apologize for some of Homicide’s Spanish words - APPARENTLY SOME OF THEM WEREN’T PG-13! EVER SINCE JOINING WORLD ELITE, HE’S BECOME TOTALLY DIFFERENT!
Tenay - Next week, it’s a VERY SPECIAL 3-HOUR SUPER IMPACT!
Tenay - I’VE JUST BEEN HANDED A NOTE! THERE’S GONNA BE A STING EXHIBIT AT THE BFG FANFEST!
Taz - How do you get all those notes? No one ever gives me any! I’M NOT IN DA LOOP!
Tenay - HOMICIDE HAS SNAPPED! HE JUST ATTACKED WILLY HERVINA!
Tenay - HE MUST THINK THAT WILLY HERVINA IS THE honest, upstanding citizen!
Taz - I would assume!
Angle - Why is EY still walking?
Nash - Because he offered me twice as much money.
Angle - WHAT!? IT’S ABOUT FAMILY!?
Nash - DOUBLE! DOUBLE! IT’S MONEY!
Angle - NO SIDE-DEALS!
Nash - He should offer me at least triple.
Tenay - The team who grabs the TNA Tag Belt, that team will become TNA Tag Team Champions. The team who grabs the IWGP Tag Belt will win the IWGP Tag Titles.
Booker - WHAT’S GONNA BE FINAL IS WE GONNA WHOOP SOMEBODY’S ASS!
Storm - SORRY ABOUR DAMN LUCK!
Taz - Don’t see many contract signings that don’t wind up in a fight.
Taz - This is like a preview for BFG! (a million things happen at once and the camera can‘t follow it all)
Taz - A MELEE HAVOC TYPE SITUATION HAS BROKEN OUT HERE!
(before the knockouts 8-person tag)Taz - It’ll be like a farmer’s market - TOMATOES EVERYWHERE!
Taz - TBP are very hum, hummana, humble!
Tenay - THIS TEAM IS THE UN OF THE KNOCKOUTS! Taylor’s from Canada, Sarita lives in Mexico, Hamada’s from Japan, and Christy lives in the U.S.
Taz - Any girls from Brooklyn in this? IT’S A COUNTRY!
Tenay - Velvet’s either checking her abs or motioning that she’ll be a knockouts tag champion!
Taz - Say catfight, Mike. CATFIGHT!
Tenay - Don’t miss the knockouts in the current issue of Muscle and Fitness magazine!
Taz - Muscle and Fitness? Wasn’t Vince on the cover of that?
Tenay - RUSSO!?
Taz - Thanks Penzer, YOU NITZ!
Tenay - I think that’s the nicest compliment he’s ever received.
Tenay - CHOKESLAM FROM LACEY VON ERICH!
Sting - AJ, after you and I finished that long sitdown interview with Tenay, and I thought so seriously about things you said to me. You said Sting, there’s a fine line between passing the torch and nnot wanting it anymore? Which side are you on? And how many times I said that it’s not worth lacing up the boots if you don’t believe you’re the best!? AND I SAID THOSE THINGS BECAUSE I BELIEVE THEM! It doesn’t matter if you’re 20 or 50, it doesn’t matter if it’s your first match or your 10,000th, you wanna bring your best. For 23 years, I’ve brought my best! Sometimes, it wasn’t good enough, BUT I BROUGHT MY BEST! I was taken aback when you issued that challenge, but my knee-jerk reaction WAS TO SAY YES AND TAKE YOU UP ON THE CHALLENGE! Why? It’s because this is in my veins, this is all I know. I STILL HAVE THE WILL TO WIN! AT BFG, IN CALIFORNIA, I’m gonna lace my boots up one more time! I’m gonna bring my best believing that I can still get the job done, AJ! If the question is answered with anything less than my expectations at BFG, then it’ll be showtime for the last time…
Angle - STING! What were you gonna say, Sting? RETIRE! Is that what you were gonna say? SAY IT! RETIRE! Maybe you should’ve retired before NS - when you and AJ pulled off that scam! Remember!? Morgan screws me, you Sting, literally hand AJ the TNA World Title, and AJ in return, does a favor for you and gives you a title shot. The way you and AJ have been getting along, maybe we should change it from Impact to the View! So that you and AJ can kiss each other’s asses the whole two hours! You see Sting, I want my rematch! I WANT MY TITLE SHOT! AJ HAS NEVER QUESTIONED MY INTEGRITY BEFORE, BUT HE GIVES HIS BUDDY A TITLE SHOT AT THE BIGGEST PPV OF THE YEAR! AND HE THINKS THAT I’M JUST GONNA GO AWAY! WELL I’M NOT! I’M GONNA STAY RIGHT HERE! YOU KNOW THIS! IN ORDER TO BE THE VERY BEST, THE BEST OF ALL TIME, YOU HAVE TO BEAT KURT ANGLE ONE TWO THREE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RING ONE ON ONE! YOU KNOW THAT, I KNOW THAT, AJ KNOWS IT, AND THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD KNOWS IT. Sting, do us all a favor and retire before BFG. So that a real champion can step up to the main event instead of some washed-up has-been!
Sting - You want me to retire, Kurt? If you want me to retire, WHY DON’T YOU RETIRE ME RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW! PUT THE OLD MAN OUT OF HIS MISERY! COME ON, KURT! DO IT!
Angle - I WANT MY TITLE SHOT! STING, GET YOUR SHOT AT BFG! MY SCHEDULE’S FULL THAT NIGHT, BUT NEXT WEEK AJ, I’M FREE- IF YOU THINK YOU’RE THE BEST - THEN PROVE IT!
AJ - YOU WANT ME!? YOU’VE GOT ME!
Tenay - AJ VERSUS ANGLE IS GONNA BE PART OF SUPER IMPACT!
Lauren - AJ, was it wise to accept a match with Angle 3 days before BFG at SUPER IMPACT!?
AJ - NO, IT WASN’T WISE! BUT EVERYONE’S BEEN SAYING I DON’T DESERVE THE TITLE, AND NEXT WEEK, WE SETTLE THIS, KURT!
Tenay - HE’S ON A MISSION - HE WANTS EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT HE’S DESERVING OF BEING TNA CHAMPION!
Sabin - WE’VE LISTENED TO YOU THE FANS! WE’RE LISTENED TO MICK FOLEY. Just now, we listened to our entrance music, and puked in our mouths. So now, we’re gonna do this MACHINE GUN-STYLE!
Shelley- Thank you. You’re too kind - I have it on good authority that the music you heard is what made Creed throw up last week. Now, feast your eyes and open your ears and enjoy our new music video.
Joe - BOBBY! BOBBY! YOU WANNA START A WAR? YOUR WAR IS WAITING FOR YOU. GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE SO I CAN KICK YOUR ASS ALL OVER THE DAMN BUILDING! (Lashley’s theme plays and he comes out immediately)
Tenay - JOE WITH A CHAIR TO THE STOMACH!
Taz - THERE’S NO CHAIRS IN MMA!
Taz - See that? ODB lifted her leg and BOOM! Pyro went off - lots of explosiveness there!
Tenay - THAT MIGHT NOT JUST BE LIMITED TO THE IMPACT ZONE!
Taz - …okay.
Taz - When you’re a champion, you make more money - YOU’RE THE TOP DOG. THAT’S WHAT ODB IS! THE TOP DOG OF THE KNOCKOUTS!
Tenay - Global Impact 2 tonight!
Taz - And it’s not just TNA and New Japan - it’s All Japan and NOAH, too!
Taz - ODB’s got a sick upper pectorial region! LOTS OF POWER THERE! She doesn’t need a sledgehammer…why she has one, I have no idea!
Tenay - SHE’S GOT VAL!
Tenay - SHE’S FORCING HER TO PUT POISON ON THE GROUND!
Taz - SHE’S GONNA BE JUST ANOTHER VICTIM! TARA AIN’T DOWN WITH THAT - SHE LOVES THE SPIDER!
Taz - People sometimes fall in love with their pets. That’s what happened here!
Tenay - Those of you who know your TNA HISTORY KNOW THAT ABYSS AND MORGAN HAVE HISTORY! IT DIDN’T END WELL!
Tenay - HERE COMES SOCKO!
Tenay - CARBON FOOTPRINT! (Morgan pins Foley)

Amazing Red is the embodiment of how stupid flippy wrestling is.

I saw the two moves he did to finish the match (corkscrew someshit from the top rope and a running shooting star press) and neither even remotely looked like it had any impact on Joe whatsoever. Shit was straight gentle, son.

[quote name='mykevermin']Amazing Red is the embodiment of how stupid flippy wrestling is.

I saw the two moves he did to finish the match (corkscrew someshit from the top rope and a running shooting star press) and neither even remotely looked like it had any impact on Joe whatsoever. Shit was straight gentle, son.[/QUOTE]

Mainly you prefer stiff strike/submission based action?

[quote name='JJSP']Jay, I'm gonna say this in the nicest way possible - www.tumblr.com. Please.[/QUOTE]

I actually like the reviews. They're generally well thought out and give perspective on the shows since most other people are just falling out of love with professional wrestling on CAG. I mean it seems more people are waiting to either shit on everything professional wrestling or waiting for the next big backstage politics story to pop up to give their 2 cents.

However most of them can't be bothered to watch the product.

Jay keep doing what you do. I actually read them since I don't get the chance to watch every single show.

I just watched Superstars and it was so sad during Shelton vs Shemaus that the crowd was mostly quiet during the match.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Mainly you prefer stiff strike/submission based action?[/QUOTE]

I like wrestling matches to make sense. Flips for their own sake make no sense. Matches where two dudes virtually walk hand in hand from spot to spot make no sense. Towers of doom are fuckin' ridiculous.

Nobody can perform basic fuckin' matwork anymore because they're conditioned to think that if there isn't a 720-degree spin in it, the crowd doesn't care. Problem is, the moves they perform are gentle. It's not that it involves flipping, it's that

1) there's often no reason for the flippiness at all
2) matches never have any time granted to let opponents sell stuff and recover properly (i.e. believably), so dudes go from getting pummeled to a pulp for 1:30 to gleefully hopping onto the top rope and acting like a gymnast, not a wrestler
3) so few of these moves have any fuckin' impact to them. Red's SSP was like a cloud of soft cotton drifting down onto Joe's body, not something that should have knocked the consciousness out of the leader of the quote-unquote nation of violence. His corkscrew whatever was the same way. That he pinned Joe on that is fuckin' ridiculous.

I watch wrestling for suspension of disbelief, and they find a way to shatter every bit of that.

[quote name='mykevermin']I like wrestling matches to make sense. Flips for their own sake make no sense. Matches where two dudes virtually walk hand in hand from spot to spot make no sense. Towers of doom are fuckin' ridiculous.

Nobody can perform basic fuckin' matwork anymore because they're conditioned to think that if there isn't a 720-degree spin in it, the crowd doesn't care. Problem is, the moves they perform are gentle. It's not that it involves flipping, it's that

1) there's often no reason for the flippiness at all
2) matches never have any time granted to let opponents sell stuff and recover properly (i.e. believably), so dudes go from getting pummeled to a pulp for 1:30 to gleefully hopping onto the top rope and acting like a gymnast, not a wrestler
3) so few of these moves have any fuckin' impact to them. Red's SSP was like a cloud of soft cotton drifting down onto Joe's body, not something that should have knocked the consciousness out of the leader of the quote-unquote nation of violence. His corkscrew whatever was the same way. That he pinned Joe on that is fuckin' ridiculous.

I watch wrestling for suspension of disbelief, and they find a way to shatter every bit of that.[/QUOTE]

You remind me of this guy who responded to one of Ruckus' move flippy moves, "That was unnecessary!".

I remember agreeing with him.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']I actually like the reviews.[/QUOTE]
This. But if Jay starts posting on a tumblr or something, just link it here. :lol:

I like the reviews also. about the flippity floppity shit, I completly agree. Raven makes some good points about that in his shoots. When I watched that chikara youtube vid yesterday, that was all that they showed. Kind of turned me off of checking out that product.

[quote name='pimpster4183']I like the reviews also. about the flippity floppity shit, I completly agree. Raven makes some good points about that in his shoots. When I watched that chikara youtube vid yesterday, that was all that they showed. Kind of turned me off of checking out that product.[/QUOTE]

Chikara is inherently lucha based. And that's just the style of the promotion. It's one of those companies that has far more character and charm to it than it's competitors, while not insulting your intelligence, or any Katie Vick type angles, which even ROH has been known to do. It's supposed to be aimed at kids and families like the WWE but with the soul that the corporate WWE lacks.

However that said, the nature of the company is still built around the lucha style and if you can get past that, there really is a lot to like there. If you can't, I think the US indy company of the year thus far has been Pro Wrestling Guerilla followed by Chikara and you should check both out if you can. Ring of Honor has just had an absolutely horrid year and the company on the whole has really fallen off.

Chikara Podcast-A-Go-Go 181

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UEX43VP2gk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-pm0PydIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svW9qruVcn8

PWG promo videos -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PgKqdvihz4

[quote name='cdeener']I just watched Superstars and it was so sad during Shelton vs Shemaus that the crowd was mostly quiet during the match.[/QUOTE]

I was there, it was pretty quiet. The crowd was pretty much killed by the gap between the end of a really good ECW taping and them changing the ring apron over for Superstars. It got much louder once JR came out to announce the Hart Dynasty/Cryme Tyme match.

Just bought a front row ticket to the 1/4/10 Raw. The Rock had better be hosting it that night, otherwise I'll just wind up selling it. No way I'd make the trip from NYC to Dayton otherwise.

I was in 7th grade, or so, when that aired live, and I remember thinking that it was absolutely real.

Being that I'm the '96 - 2000 WCW facts curator, I recall that the Steiners were out of commission for months after that car accident, and Steiner returned with his current appearance and defected to the nWo (which outraged my pre-teen mind).

god damn i forgot all about that video. man that was some crazy shit! WCW had some bad stuff, but they sure as hell had some cool stuff way ahead of it's time also.

I watched Stone Colds new movie Damages tonight, if you get the chance - check it out. pretty good action flick, it also has the guy from The Shield in it.

Not familiar with f4wonline.com - are they reliable?

According to reports, as R-Truth was preparing to go out to the ring, he was told he had to take off the camouflage vest he was wearing as camouflage is now associated with DX. The wrestler approached Stephanie McMahon about the complaint, which presumably came from a producer.

Stephanie said that Truth should probably discuss the issue with Triple H. At that point, R-Truth decided to just abandon the wardrobe item and his cause as he headed to the ring for his match.

Either way, this one doesn't seem too improbable. WWE loves to micromanage its wrestlers to try to differentiate them, or "brand" them in marketing terms. Remember how Sugar Shane Helms became Gregory Helms because there was already a "Shane"? Remember how CM Punk ain't never once used the pepsi plunge in the WWE (well, that one kinda makes sense, as signature moves are signature moves)? What other examples come to mind where dudes get their name changed, or their outfits a different color, or a diff. finisher than they've used for their entire career until coming to TV, just to (insert obnoxious marketing term here, like "broaded the scope of consumer awareness in our diverse product" or some other diarrhea-laden business talk)?

The irony is that you know writers and producers and managers scrutinize this stuff ("Tyler Reks has black shoelaces, they might confuse him for Randy Orton!"), yet so many of the wrestlers are 100% interchangeable in terms of performance and skills. They may look different, but their matches show as much diversity as a box of sugar cookies.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']You're going to love The Young Bucks & Davey Richards vs. Kenny Omega. Do your best to have a good time and I hope you have fun.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, i had a really great time last night. Richards v Omega was by far the best live wrestling match i've ever seen. It was fucking nuts! Richards really reminds me of the Dynamite Kid, although i dont know if thats a fair comparison since thats his only match of his i've seen. Delirious was awesome and stole my hat to throw at Aries. I didn't care for the young bucks though, maybe i was just spent after watching the Omega/Richards match though. Cabana was in a four way that was filled with comedy spots, which was fun. I really enjoyed Claudio's match as well.

All in all it was the best live event i've ever been too. My only grip was i didn't notice a lot of differenig styles between wrestlers. I think i saw only two submission holds ( a boston crab and a sharpshooter), Petey Williams did 6 insuguries (sp?) in one fucking match, and too many small packages/roll ups for wins instead of clean pins. Still really cool, i'll be going again when they come back in July.

[quote name='onetrackmind'] Petey Williams did 6 insuguries (sp?) in one fucking match[/QUOTE]

Enzuiguri

edit:missed a u the first time

bread's done
Back