Castlevania Judgment

And when Judgment fails, they will chalk it up to the Wii demographic and release Judgment 2 with an anime/cel-shading style.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']And when Judgment fails, they will chalk it up to the Wii demographic and release Judgment 2 with an anime/cel-shading style.[/QUOTE]

With copious amounts of mini games. Count it!

Are the people over at Konami fucking retarded?

Seriously, they decide to make a Castlevania fighting game for the Wii instead of a 2.5D SotN style Castlevania game?

What were they thinking?

Actually I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking.

[quote name='Strell']No, yukine apparently is also.

Which is good. See, if it has internet play, you two can play against each other. And yukine SUCKS at fighting games.[/quote]

Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game.

THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID IT.

I mean yeah, I'd rather have a traditional Castlevania game, but as long as this is relatively decent I'll most likely pick it up.

You're just waiting to turn this into a "things STRELL sucks at" motif, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?

Damn Canucks. Always with the unnecessary vowels and oversized novelty hockey shirts.

I'll head into the channel...

Speaking of which... where the fuck is the ps2 port of the Dracula X Chronicles?!?!?! They are porting that Silent Hill PSP game to the PS2, why not port DXC to the PS2?!?!?!

Disaster. I can only hope this wont be a wii exclusive. A PS3/360 version in 1080p with online play (wii online is a complete joke) would be a day 1 purchase.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Speaking of which... where the fuck is the ps2 port of the Dracula X Chronicles?!?!?! They are porting that Silent Hill PSP game to the PS2, why not port DXC to the PS2?!?!?![/quote]
I want to know where the port of the 3 Castlevania GBA games to the DS is? I mean seriously, how have they not done it yet (especially around the time the PSP game came out to keep the DS only Castlevania fans happy)?

If all they did was put all three games on a single DS cart and use both screens (one for gameplay one for the map/start menu like the DS games) I would be happy to buy the games again.

[quote name='zewone']Someone needs to change the title of the thread.

'Mankind ill needs a Castlevania Wii game such as this'[/quote]

:rofl:

This gets my vote for thread title!

[quote name='cochesecochese']-1 Wii

It's shit like this that makes it that much easier to switch to 360.[/quote]

Please do and then GTFO.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Looks like selling my Wii was the right choice after all.[/quote]

So you are in the forums....why again? Also, see above.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']So you are in the forums....why again? Also, see above.[/QUOTE]
Because he saw a thread for a Castlevania game and decided to check it out. Only to find out it was a shitty fighting game.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Because he saw a thread for a Castlevania game and decided to check it out. Only to find out it was a shitty fighting game.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Had it been a new, traditional 2D Castlevania on a home console like I've been wishing for, my response would have been something like "MUST. BUY. WII. NOW."

But alas, some things were not meant to be.

The more I see of this, the worse it looks. I don't particularly care though, because there's still a new 2D Castlevania in the works and it looks fucking great.

Apparently this plays like Power Stone:
For starters, the game plays like Power Stone, or a vs. version of the Xbox/PS2 games from a few years back. Each player grabs a character, and runs around in a small, one-level, free-roaming arena filled with monsters, candlesticks, and a classic Castlevania backdrop. General movement is handled with the analog stick on the nunchuk, while Wii-mote waggle doe s the main attacks for each character. To add modifiers to the regular attacks, you can hold any combination of A, B, and (right now it's only working slightly, but it's there) C and Z. When pressed alone, A throws whatever sub-item you selected for your player – the list includes four for each fighter, and they are set up based on that character's style – while A and B together does an item crush that uses hearts and magic together.

There's also general double-jumps for the players you'd expect. We can only talk about playing with Simon Belmont, Dracula, Alucard, and Maria, but out of those three everyone except Dracula could double jump, with Dracula's second jump instead keeping him in the air in "hover" mode for as long as you'd like. As a few other quick observations, Alucard could use his "tetra spirits" attack, Dracula threw fireballs and the huge dark sphere attack made famous in Symphony of the Night, and Maria's jump attack and sub-items make use of her summon creatures and famous owl. With someone like Simon Belmont, players can use daggers, holy water, the boomerang cross, or throwing axe.

Personally does nothing for me. I think I'm the only person I know who didn't like Power Stone.

I guess it's better they emulate that style versus trying to actually compete with stuff like Tekken/VF/SC.

No, because it's 3D and everyone has the same moves.

It's Mortal Kombat 3D64 + color - shitty American characters.

Power Stone bitches. A bit more interested now. Looks like they are putting a lot of effort behind this game (which is rare). And focusing on online multiplayer (even more rare).

It looks great so far! Sounds like an F'ing blast. If it ends up playing like Power Stone, I'll be mighty happy,... if it plays like Soul Calibur, I'll stick my Wiimote up my arse! Hopefully Locke, Sypha, and Death (which IGN hints), are in it. I'm sure they will throw in Axearmor guy, a Succubus, and possibly a Metal Gear cameo character for the hell of it. No doubt it will feature all of the lineage, Simon, Richter, and possibly the cast from the N64 games, with the wolf and chick, not to mention all the Gameboy and DS casts.
It better have online features too, but that'd be icing on the cake I suppose.

Hell yeah it looks awesome, although I'd rather it be more like a Tekken game where you're restricted to a 2D side view but you're able to parry in a 3D space. If that makes any sense?

I'm glad to see Dracula's hellfire (or the giant ball of darkness variation thereof) as a move. Any and all elements of past games they can sneak in there go that much further to legitimize this game. I guess making only his head and neck vulnerable to attacks would be a bit broken, though.

[quote name='drone8888']It looks great so far! Sounds like an F'ing blast. If it ends up playing like Power Stone, I'll be mighty happy,... if it plays like Soul Calibur, I'll stick my Wiimote up my arse![/QUOTE]

Better lube up. I don't know where people are getting the Powerstone comparisons because it plays nothing like it at all. We played it and my immediate response was, "So they made Soul Calibur, except crappier, and with Wii motion controls". I wouldn't go so far as to call the game terrible, but it turns into a pretty basic "waving your arm around fest" pretty quickly. Could be fun in short bursts, but it kind of feels like a last gen fighting game.

Unless there is a different mode that plays entirely unlike what is on the show floor, there is no need to ever mention this game in the same sentence as Powerstone ever again.

Edit: Okay, I just read the thing Strell posted from IGN. They are way off base with this one guys, trust me. Just because you can run around the environments a little does not mean this plays anything like Powerstone. I honestly can't believe they made the comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks neither like powerstone or soulcalibur to me, I got more of a Ergheiz feel from watching the videos. Seems pretty simple, but at least looks nice.

Also, Konami's new artist (the one who did the art for OOE) is really good, and it seems like they had him/her work on this title too.

....which makes me wonder what Kojima is doing!

[quote name='heavyd853']
Also, Konami's new artist (the one who did the art for OOE) is really good, and it seems like they had him/her work on this title too.
[/QUOTE]

Doubt they are the same person. This guy is apparently the DeathNote creator. Wouldn't know who is doing OOE but it's much closer to the earlier Castlevania titles on the GBA.

Shipwreck: The Powerstone idea came from IGN. But after watching some footage, I agree in that it doesn't look like Powerstone at all, which was pulled back and really more of an action brawler sort of game than a straight up fighter.

[quote name='Strell']Shipwreck: The Powerstone idea came from IGN. But after watching some footage, I agree in that it doesn't look like Powerstone at all, which was pulled back and really more of an action brawler sort of game than a straight up fighter.[/QUOTE]

Yes, honestly the best comparison is Soul Calibur minus the grab moves and with the ability to run around in more of a 3D space. You get to pick a classic Castlevania projectile weapon before the fight and that's pretty much the game. Oh and zombies wander around. There's really not much to it.

At least that's the state the game is in currently.

I stopped the second video and became disinterested after hearing "it doesn't matter whether you to a horizontal or vertical swing, it only registers the movement". Or something like that. Either way, that translates to flailing around. It didn't even look like it picked up some of the movements as is.

[quote name='shipwreck']Better lube up. I don't know where people are getting the Powerstone comparisons because it plays nothing like it at all. We played it and my immediate response was, "So they made Soul Calibur, except crappier, and with Wii motion controls". I wouldn't go so far as to call the game terrible, but it turns into a pretty basic "waving your arm around fest" pretty quickly. Could be fun in short bursts, but it kind of feels like a last gen fighting game.

Unless there is a different mode that plays entirely unlike what is on the show floor, there is no need to ever mention this game in the same sentence as Powerstone ever again.

Edit: Okay, I just read the thing Strell posted from IGN. They are way off base with this one guys, trust me. Just because you can run around the environments a little does not mean this plays anything like Powerstone. I honestly can't believe they made the comparison.[/quote]

You not liking a game?

The fuck?

You like everything!

[quote name='yukine']You not liking a game?

The fuck?

You like everything![/quote]

That doesn't bode well for this game then.:)

Are there any fighting games that implement motion control well for the wii? It looks badly implemented in this game from the video. Oh and Simon looks like a Belmont that went to beauty school rather than follow in the vampire slaying family business.

This looks nothing like Power Stone. It seems comparable to most fighting games based on an anime series. Meaning lots of flash and not too much substance but if you're a fan you'll enjoy it. The controls also seem very similar to the Bleach Wii game. I will declare this decent but you must be crazy if you would consider dropping $50 on this.

This game pretty much exist because Konami wouldn't give Igarashi a larger budget to produce the type of game he wanted.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/why-a-wii-fight.html
If Jeremy Parish is right, and this is a description of how Castlevania Judgment truly came to be -- that is, Konami didn't give him [Igarashi] enough of a budget to do anything else -- it isn't especially heartening for series fans. "I have to adapt to the times, but I can't alienate the core fans."

Worst and most disheartening part of the article:
"The saddest thing is watching Koji Igarashi on the E3 show floor, hovering around the Castlevania Judgment kiosk for half an hour, knowing that everyone hates it, knowing that he knows they hate it, then realizing that it's not the game he really wanted to make anyway because his publisher won't give him two dimes to rub together to develop the really awesome games he does want to create."

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back