Cheapass HDTV at Microcenter B&M. Good for games?

rocksolidaudio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
from slickdeals.net:

Microcenter has a Syntax Olevia LT30HVS 30" LCD Monitor for $560 in-store only.

here is a link for the specs:
http://secure.syntaxgroups.com/products/specs.jsp?pid=LT30HVS

i've heard a lot of people rave about the brand, and this model apparently goes for closer to $1000 usually. i don't know too much about HDTV, but i've been wanting one to go with my 360 for a while. anyone more knowledgeable want to chime in with some input?

I saw that on Slick Deals also, I really wish I had a Microcenter close to me. CompUSA is selling the same TV for $1100.00, I wonder if they would price match.

Well, I remember PC Mag reviewing this TV a while ago. They seemed to really like the TV, especially for the price. Not too sure how it does in terms of gaming though.

That's an excellent price, but this is a very quirky TV. I had the 27 inch version of this, the LT27HVS which I got at Fry's for $499, it has the same specs as this model aside from the size.

1. Very good HDTV picture, SD picture is not so good. If you have to have a good SD picture the newer models of Syntax Olevia LCD have picture enhancements which make the SD pciture look much better.

2. The aspect ratio is actually 15:9, not 16:9. This made it hard to get the perfect resolution when using it as a computer monitor.

3. The speakers add alot of extra weight to this TV, but they are removable.

I ended up returning it and picked up a LT26HVX for the same price. The TV was much better IMO, the fixed alot of the quirks, also the newer syntax models also have a panoramic viewing option which is great when playing 4:3 aspect ratio games.

That being said this a great deal if you are mainly using it for HD input.

[quote name='ofacto']I had the 2 inch version of this[/QUOTE]

there's your problem :)

seriously though, thanks for the feedback. i have a lot of thinking (and checking of stock) to do.

I thought about getting it, but "off-brand" always scares me a bit...however, most have got decent reviews.

I know JR.com is selling the HP LC2600N for $800, which is a GREAT deal since it has BUILT-IN HD Tuner and every input possible (HDMI, DVI, I-Link, Component, Optical Audio....great stuff)

I just got one this week, using it as a big-as PC monitor. I hooked up a set up JBL speakers with my receiver....great stuff.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']there's your problem :)

seriously though, thanks for the feedback. i have a lot of thinking (and checking of stock) to do.[/QUOTE]

Whoops meant 27 inch version. LOL

bread's done
Back