CheapyD's PS3 Unboxing Appears on Wall Street Journal Front Page

Why would anyone need help trying to figure out how to open up a box LOL

Now i need help trying to figure out how to open up my front door

O you pull the handle to get out and not push. now i understand DOH !!!

Now would be a good time to BITCH about Sonys lack of 1080i scaling and your HDMI issues!

PUSH YOUR AGENDA, MAN!

[quote name='Maddgief']I bet within the next week, we hear Wombat has landed an interview in Horse and Hound.[/QUOTE]

Notting Hill reference ftw?

Congratulation CheapyD... your Almost Famous!

I feel like I knew you when you were a bald white guy running a gaming web site... oh, you still are.

I hope they do (or did) plug the site. I agree with Argyle, alot of places are going to have your head above urinals.

Here's the funniest thing of all about this. A guy starts a board about cheap video games. He nurtures it for 3 years.. works his ass off to get publicity in various gaming media outlets. He tries to make money through sales referrals. As the user base continues to expand, at most.. he gets a couple spots on Bloomberg through friends and stuff like that. Pretty good stuff, considering the way that others in similiar ventures go. He and his buddy in NY start bugging the marketing departments of a couple companies, start up a podcast, etc... you know, things pick up a little steam.. but let's face it, getting exposure to a mass audience in this field of interest doesn't happen.

What finally gets him mass national exposure? Opening a damned George Foreman Grill across the Pacific on YouTube. This has gotta be one of the greatest examples of free national promotion ever. You can't PAY for exposure like this! Marketing students, take note.. this would be great material for a paper.

Grats Cheapy!

I bet of all the things you've ever done for the site making an unboxing video had to be one of the ones least expected to land you on the front of the WSJ.

[quote name='Skylander7']I hope they do (or did) plug the site. I agree with Argyle, alot of places are going to have your head above urinals.

Here's the funniest thing of all about this. A guy starts a board about cheap video games. He nurtures it for 3 years.. works his ass off to get publicity in various gaming media outlets. He tries to make money through sales referrals. As the user base continues to expand, at most.. he gets a couple spots on Bloomberg through friends and stuff like that. Pretty good stuff, considering the way that others in similiar ventures go. He and his buddy in NY start bugging the marketing departments of a couple companies, start up a podcast, etc... you know, things pick up a little steam.. but let's face it, getting exposure to a mass audience in this field of interest doesn't happen.

What finally gets him mass national exposure? Opening a damned George Foreman Grill across the Pacific on YouTube. This has gotta be one of the greatest examples of free national promotion ever. You can't PAY for exposure like this! Marketing students, take note.. this would be great material for a paper.[/quote]

Haha, so true! I'm happy for Cheapy's success in this, and it's easy publicity. Can't wait to catch the clip on GMA! This is so crazy.

[quote name='Supercake']Haha, so true! I'm happy for Cheapy's success in this, and it's easy publicity. Can't wait to catch the clip on GMA! This is so crazy.[/QUOTE]

You literally can't buy promotion like this. What if he ends up on other shows that do YouTube segments, like the Ellen show? (a local flea market commercial just got plugged on her show like this).

This site is going to explode.. we're going to have bargain hunting moms and memaws hitting the site looking for cheapass Mary Kate and Ashley GBA games and stuff.

On the negative side, as Zenethian Legend said before.. there goes the neighborhood.

Cheapy, I know this is a given, but don't forget to plug the CagCast if you can!

"the latest Nintendo Wii". Good job Emily Steel! ;l

Or maybe good job Nintendo for doing such a great job marketing the Wii. It's not the Nintendo Wii, it's just the Wii!! It's Nintendo's Wii!! The Wii from Nintendo!!

WSJ knows you're in Japan am i right, CheapyD?
coz the article sounded like a "US PS3 hype" subject to me.

I can't believe how crazy people went for the video. "very exciting" :lol:

Cheapy is a Celeb!

He soon gonna have his own REAL RAdio show, a TV show, then a movie, and then....

Too bad that WSJ is apparently too up tight to print the words "chaeapass." But your celebrity grows . . .

Congrats CheapyD, gonna need some shades when you go out now...im j/p, great news man keep it up.

Edit: Yo this is kinda funny though(just read some of the article)

Why didn't you put this on the front page of CAG yesterday, Cheapy? Had I known I would have bought a copy of the WSJ. Anyways, Congrats, fearless leader :D

Congrats Cheapy but wasn't WSJ or Reuters one of the same mags. to have that gaming industry expert say that game prices will go up $10 due to development costs to soften the market up for that bs price increase? If so I think we should get Wombat to go over there and paddle the asshole who published that story along with the game industry expert for softening it in the first place. Press pass for Wombat to Reuters or WSJ ASAP! ;-)

I was watching tv and my local fox station is going to be doing a story on monday about the unboxing craze and why its so big on the internet. They showed someone opening a wii on youtube, and I think they might show Cheapy D unboxing his PS3 due to the high number of views his got on youtube and with this Wall Street Journal articale.

[quote name='CheapyD']
UPDATE 1: You can get a 30 day free trial to the WSJ here
Probably only worth your time if you are my mom. Are you my mom?[/quote]

Happy and proud to claim that title! Way to go, Cheapy! (Btw, I have 4 copies of yesterday's paper so don't need to subscribe.)

bread's done
Back