CheapyD's PS3 Unboxing Appears on Wall Street Journal Front Page

I hope this leads to even more media coverage .

Congrats Cheapy !

Somewhere , there's some disgruntled businessmen pissed that they didn't come up with the idea for CAG .

I'll be working 3-11 next week , so I'll be able to watch GMA .

The next internet craze: reboxing videos. Ever try to put a console back in the original box? It's harder than you think.

[quote name='memsg']cheapyd was just in a commercial on fox 26 news in houston, during that 70s show.[/quote]What do you mean?

they showed a really quick shot of your clip, there going to be doing a story on unboxing videos, didn't catch when its going to air though

Wow! Cheapy, your going places now. Your becoming a major celebrity and soon we'll see you spike or G4 awards shows.

Just saw a segment on the the Saturday CBS Early Morning show that featured a small clip of Cheapy D opening the PS3 and then talked about how copycat videos are showing up on YouTube.

Dear Lord :lol:

No offense to CheapyD, but what a pathetic vid of the week. Seriously, who would have thought a video with an underenthusiastic bald man clumsily filming the opening of an amazon box would be featured on Good Morning America.

Too bad you didn't throw a plug for cheapgamer.com in, we'd have airspace on National television! From now on you either need to mention cheapgamer.com, or put a watermark on your vids.

[quote name='Nosmo']Just saw a segment on the the Saturday CBS Early Morning show that featured a small clip of Cheapy D opening the PS3 and then talked about how copycat videos are showing up on YouTube.[/quote]
Copycat videos? :lol: I love how these morning shows know NOTHING about what they're talking about. Unboxing vids have been around for ages, and this one was definitely NOT one of the better ones.

[quote name='roguejedi5']Wow! Cheapy, your going places now. Your becoming a major celebrity and soon we'll see you spike or G4 awards shows.[/quote]
Spike and G4 are under Cheapy now, appearing on them would be a degression.

It just played on The Early Show on CBS with Russ Mitchel and Tracy Smith and Ira Joe Fischer for your weather. Now we'll head over you local weather. Hello everyone we have wonderful weather headed your way with highs in the upper sixties and lows in the 40's. Now back to the early show. Wow, I'm so fat I'm gonna sit halfway on this couch. Up next, we have tips to survive your office partyy while your boss has sex with a hot blonde. We'll be right back on the Early Show here on CBS. Have you heard of Neutogena? Get Neutrogena today just call the toll free number. o_O

[quote name='Biggy T']Too bad that WSJ is apparently too up tight to print the words "chaeapass." But your celebrity grows . . .[/QUOTE]
That's why Cheapy bought cheapgamer.com

Come on, Cheapy, make sure to mention cheapgamer.com! And make a new banner for people who go through the censored link.

Nice Cheapy! I hope that CAG becomes more instrumental in making games cheaper! With the EB/Gamespot merger I had lost hope, but when people see that indeed there is still SOME competition out there (and some room for more), and there is an enthusiastic bunch of guys and gals who like it on the cheap....well, there you go.
HURRAH FOR DEVIL CUSTOMERS!

[quote name='Nosmo']Just saw a segment on the the Saturday CBS Early Morning show that featured a small clip of Cheapy D opening the PS3 and then talked about how copycat videos are showing up on YouTube.[/quote]

I saw this as I was flipping through the channels this morning. Woke my wife and she and I kind of gawked in amazement that the video has reached seemingly every corner of the media.

And yes, these people are idiots, as they seem to think this was the first unboxing video ever. They spent most of the segment making fun of the idea (which, granted, it pretty much deserves). But it pissed me off that they acted like this was some brand new thing when it's been pretty common for years. The only reason they're stumbling upon it now is because it's on YouTube and they don't have to go to a gaming or other tech site to see it. Also, they only showed Cheapy taking the PS3 box out of the Amazon box, which made everything seem extra pathetic.

Expect more of the same ridicule when it shows up on GMA and BWE.

I saw this as I was flipping through the channels this morning. Woke my wife and she and I kind of gawked in amazement that the video has reached seemingly every corner of the media.

And yes, these people are idiots, as they seem to think this was the first unboxing video ever. They spent most of the segment making fun of the idea (which, granted, it pretty much deserves). But it pissed me off that they acted like this was some brand new thing when it's been pretty common for years. The only reason they're stumbling upon it now is because it's on YouTube and they don't have to go to a gaming or other tech site to see it. Also, they only showed Cheapy taking the PS3 box out of the Amazon box, which made everything seem extra pathetic.

Expect more of the same ridicule when it shows up on GMA and BWE. But any publicity is good publicity, I guess.

Wow, who needs coverage of the war in Iraq when you can blow the lid off the box-opening phenomenon? Seriously, congrats Cheapie; that's pretty cool.

Congrats on the media coverage!

Youtube could really use some active active mods to moderate their comments. The amount of jerks that post crap, naive, egotistical, comments on there is absurd.

Congrats on the media noteriety you've gained. While suprising that it was this particluar video that got attention (of all your previous pieces) nonetheless whatever gets your foot in the door is a win for me.

I raise a glass to bigger and better things for CAG!

Now that cheapy has hit hollywood he going to get addicted to some drug but knowing how cheap he is it's gonna be laced with glass. You all know the rest of the story from here. Yup thats right, we will all get a great price on some crazy EBgame/Gamestop deal. I should not post at 5 AM.

I'll be honest: I'm probably not going to see this as it airs. I'll just wait for the inevitable YouTube of the YouTube. And then, if we're lucky, we can get the YouTube of CheapyD watching the YouTube of the YouTube for the first time. And after that...yeah, you get the idea.

Reminder: This is supposed to be Good Morning America today (Wednesday).
Set your Tivos on stun!

If somone could record it and get me a PC friendly version, that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Apparently it didn't air :(

[quote name='CheapyD']Reminder: This is supposed to be Good Morning America today (Wednesday).
Set your Tivos on stun!

If somone could record it and get me a PC friendly version, that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Apparently it didn't air :([/quote]

guess I don't feel that guilty for forgetting to set up my capture card

I was watching this morning. They showed two videos: One made by a guy using his cell phone camera to make a stop-motion movie of himself dancing with himself. Mildly amusing. The other was just men talking about knitting. I shit you not.

Neither hide nor hair of Cheapy's hairless hide. I hate to say it, Cheapy, but I think you got PWNED by Diane Sawyer.

And why wouldn't they air it?

If I had to guess, I'd say that they put their 'pop culture' finger to the wind and determined that for non-gamers, the PS3/Wii launch hysteria was already tired news. Not for us, but for people who watch Good Morning America.

Maybe if the unboxing video had a smattering of soccer mom-friendly 'zaniness' to it (like Cheapy fending off a curious house cat that gets progressively more stubborn with each thwarted attempt), someone making the call on these sorts of things would've stopped sipping their Starbucks latte, exclaimed "That is so darling!", and kept the 'green light' for it.

Show biz: a cruel, vapid, and fickle bitch, just like much of its audience.

bread's done
Back