Check your email. All Killer Instinct characters unlocked for free. XBOX ONE

vwbeetlvr

CAGiversary!
You're a fan of us and we're a fan of you.
We want to show you our appreciation, so we're giving you:

KILLER INSTINCT

We've unlocked all characters so you can hit the ground running.

Watch your inbox on November 22 for instructions on how to claim your free gift.

Don't worry, we'll remind you.

We wouldn't be here without you,
and we know you'll do amazing
things on Xbox One.
Thank you from Xbox Live.
Jump ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wombat5277
According to "Chester" in my @XboxSupport chat, all gold members should be receiving emails about getting Killer Instinct for free.
*too lazy to reformat
Killer Instinct will be free to all gold members. All gold members will also probably get an email saying that they can play Killer Instinct for free, like when Happy Wars and other f2p games came out. Not all gold members will be getting every character.

@Wombat5277
According to "Chester" in my @XboxSupport chat, all gold members should be receiving emails about getting Killer Instinct for free.
*too lazy to reformat
I asked why 8 years tenure and 342443 GS wasn't worth at least a free KI.

@XboxSupport's response was:

"We don't have control over that kind of thing, I'm afraid. But we'll still be here to help with any issues, anytime! ^BB"

Killer Instinct will be free to all gold members. All gold members will also probably get an email saying that they can play Killer Instinct for free, like when Happy Wars and other f2p games came out. Not all gold members will be getting every character.
Oh crap... didn't think of it that way.

You are unfortunately right I bet. : (

I have to say that I'm pretty proud of the attitude displayed in this thread by my fellow CAGs.  No one is bitching about not getting a freebie and everyone is supportive of those that did.

Too bad Wombat won't cease his cynical twitter campaign to score a $20 game he probably didn't have any interest in playing.  I love the guy but I'm disappointed in him this time. 

I have to say that I'm pretty proud of the attitude displayed in this thread by my fellow CAGs. No one is bitching about not getting a freebie and everyone is supportive of those that did.

Too bad Wombat won't cease his cynical twitter campaign to score a $20 game he probably didn't have any interest in playing. I love the guy but I'm disappointed in him this time.
Yeah, I have no problem with those who got the email and I don't want to be that guy either. It's awesome for the lucky people - some of which won't even purchase an Xbox One at launch anyway.

It is quite disturbing though that they are basing this on tenure, score, and other factors, yet people who clearly fit the bill were skipped. Why not just call it random? I have the Xbox One pre-ordered and would love to score a free complete copy of Killer Instinct. I think the game is overpriced so I won't purchase it, but I'd love to be rewarded for my loyalty with a game I'd like to play. The Xbox One giveaway doesn't bother me one bit though. It's the free game. Give it to all loyal users if you're going to do it at all.

Hmmmm, can't say I really care too much about getting this. I love fighting games and buy every one that hits the market, but I have zero desire to play this. No disc release and piecing out characters over time does not appeal to me at all. But due to my remote location, I cannot even get an Xbone anyway until next year, that 4 GB Day One patch wouldn't be able to be downloaded, meaning dead console. So I don't know, maybe next year when I get one there will be a decent amount of characters out. I suppose I will at least try it out.

Yeah, I have no problem with those who got the email and I don't want to be that guy either. It's awesome for the lucky people - some of which won't even purchase an Xbox One at launch anyway.

It is quite disturbing though that they are basing this on tenure, score, and other factors, yet people who clearly fit the bill were skipped. Why not just call it random? I have the Xbox One pre-ordered and would love to score a free complete copy of Killer Instinct. I think the game is overpriced so I won't purchase it, but I'd love to be rewarded for my loyalty with a game I'd like to play. The Xbox One giveaway doesn't bother me one bit though. It's the free game. Give it to all loyal users if you're going to do it at all.
This reminds me of the $10 dollars Sony gave out to the most "loyal" people on the PSN. In that there will be many people that deserve it, but won't get it and many that don't deserve it, though will get it. Thats the problem with promotions like this, since we don't know the requirements and due to that people feel shafted.

I was honestly hoping for a free copy of Forza or Madden like the EU guys got. But, I'll take a free copy of KI.

For those that got a Forza car, did you preorder the game?

I was honestly hoping for a free copy of Forza or Madden like the EU guys got. But, I'll take a free copy of KI.

For those that got a Forza car, did you preorder the game?
I got the Forza car and I did not preorder.

Forza or KI would be weird...there's a lot more value in the KI giveaway than just one car from Forza

Awesome dude... what was the subject of your email? And you gotta chime in with your GS and how long you've had LIVE...
"My Gamertag, we want to thank you with something we think is really, really cool"

My gamerscore is at ~332k and I have been a member for 5.5 years

They are avoiding the infamous Capcom scenario since they are doing "seasons" of the game.  I like this model better, so long as you can still use the characters you purchased from one season to the next.

wait so microsoft is giving this game away for free basically ? im still curious as to why they didnt just make this a standard retail game
The game is always free for gold members. You get one character to use at a time. They change which character that is every few weeks. Or you can just buy the characters. Some people (including myself) are getting an email that says MS is gifting us all the characters for free.

They are avoiding the infamous Capcom scenario since they are doing "seasons" of the game. I like this model better, so long as you can still use the characters you purchased from one season to the next.
It's actually very similar to Capcom except you don't have to buy every character. I like it better too because there's usually only one or two characters I want per "season" of DLC, but Capcom makes you buy them all.

Congrats to those that got a free console or anything free.

This makes me want to stick with one console (specifically MS because my Nintendo and PS haven't done anything cool like this for me or anyone I know)

If anyone has a code they wanna give or sell let me know :p  Im interested.  I still havent received an email even though Ive been a member of live forever.  Jerks

Oh well, you can't win them all I guess.  Just the Audi car for me. 

Did you all receive the email at the same time?  I'm wondering (hoping) that they're sending them out in waves.

great for everyone that got some type of code.  I am a little disappointed I didn't get anything.  6-ish years 105K GS.  No E-Mail.

53K and 6+ years but no email. My brother at 99k and 6+ years got it. I won't be getting an Xbone at launch so not upset at missing out on this freebie of season 1 characters.

Oh wow, they're actually giving you all of the characters? Like they did for Killer Instinct on SNES and Gold on N64? Damn, what's next, a game that's complete when you buy it and doesn't even have DLC?

:roll:
Killer Instinct is a free download, you just had to pay per character. They are basically giving the game away to some people (from what I understand)

I didn't get anything and I'm a longtime gold member (5-6 years) and have almost 70k gamerscore. Neither of my brothers got an email for it either and they've had gold accounts for just as long.

This reminds me of the $10 dollars Sony gave out to the most "loyal" people on the PSN. In that there will be many people that deserve it, but won't get it and many that don't deserve it, though will get it. Thats the problem with promotions like this, since we don't know the requirements and due to that people feel shafted.
I'm actually really surprised that I haven't seen more outrage about this here and on other sites. With that Sony $10 promo, everyone who didn't get one flipped their fuck ing lid!

Congrats to everyone who won something. I checked my emails and I didn't get anything yet.

I would love to have won an Xbox One, I had mine pre-ordered but had to cancel it due to some family problems and have been kinda bummed ever since.

Here's to hoping there are some free ones still lurking about!

I'm actually really surprised that I haven't seen more outrage about this here and on other sites. With that Sony $10 promo, everyone who didn't get one flipped their fuck ing lid!
I think it's a combo of $10 dollars being universally desired, versus KI only appealing to a finite group of people and Sony using the term loyal. Either or, it's good to see people being calm and rational about it, or at least acting that way on CAG. You're obviously free to feel however you want, but there is a time and place, and neither is here.

Email could be lagging?  I just got an email from COD ghost and I have had it since launch day.  Yahoo mail always lags for me as well to.  Ive had things emailed to me weeks later from when they were sent by friends.

OP here. I am an xbox ambassador, as well as an 8 year tenure and 140k gamerscore, maybe you need to be an xbox ambassador?

I wish MS gave a rhyme or reason why people are getting the emails.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/06/microsoft-handing-out-free-xbox-ones-copies-of-killer-instinct.aspx?utm_content=buffer5466c&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

i'm not buying their reasoning because i've had live since original xbox and 77k+ gamerscore... saw some people who were new were getting Xbox Ones...

i cant bitch about them giving away free stuff but i am sad i didnt get anything

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/06/microsoft-handing-out-free-xbox-ones-copies-of-killer-instinct.aspx?utm_content=buffer5466c&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

i'm not buying their reasoning because i've had live since original xbox and 77k+ gamerscore... saw some people who were new were getting Xbox Ones...

i cant bitch about them giving away free stuff but i am sad i didnt get anything
Thanks. Glad to know they don't just pull a Gamertag out of a hat. LOL

I got the email for Killer Instinct this morning around 6:30am. Very happy! Loved Killer Instinct when I was growing up, and it's the biggest reason I'm getting an Xbox One at launch. 

Congrats to those who won systems! That is amazing. 

7 years

105,411 Gamerscore

I've never receive any sort of email about Xbox. No difference here. Oh well. I've been a Live member on my current gamertag for about 4-5 years now and 2 on my gamertag before that (belongs to my brother now). Running about 73000G for those keeping track.

Would have been nice to walk away with an Xbox One. Had to cancel my Day One Edition due to car problems a few weeks ago. Oh well. Congrats to those who got something!

I love it when MS randomly gives shit to fans. 

I'll be honest, I'm a little miffed. I've had Live for over 10 years, can count 78 X360 and 41 Xbox games on my shelf right this second and all were bought new, I've had multiple Zunes and a Zune Pass subscription essentially since they came out, I've had a Surface RT since release, all 3 PCs in my house run Win 8, have had an Xbone preordered since announcement and I even openly defended and LIKED their original digital/retail vision and what did I get? A big nothing....

I wonder how they do the selections for these giveaways. Going on 7 years of being Gold, with a gamer score of 62,000, and nothing received.

I'll be honest, I'm a little miffed. I've had Live for over 10 years, can count 78 X360 and 41 Xbox games on my shelf right this second and all were bought new, I've had multiple Zunes and a Zune Pass subscription essentially since they came out, I've had a Surface RT since release, all 3 PCs in my house run Win 8, have had an Xbone preordered since announcement and I even openly defended and LIKED their original digital/retail vision and what did I get? A big nothing....
Ewwww. You LIKED the original digital/retail plan? *vomit*

bread's done
Back