Chrono Cross - $12 - FSSS

Just letting everyone know this is still live at 13.56, 6 off from the 19.99 price. I snagged one =D

At least I got it slightly cheaper than that! I'm still thinking I'm going to start Chrono Cross next, after I finish Mass Effect 2.

Wow, I just realized this came out right before Final Fantasy 9! I liked that 100,000x better, BUT then I didn't like FF8 the first few times I tried it, so.... we'll see :)

I was always both hot and cold on this game. My other gaming counterpart thinks this game was amazing, I however still prefer Trigger far better.

I will say though that I not only have the non-GH version of this game but had bought it on pre-order without a second thought back when it came out :p , that's just how I roll, haha. Wasn't this game part of the Square Summer of Adventure? I remember getting a back pack out of that (that my mom threw out when I was in college) and there was a soundtrack CD that was missing from my bonus I recall (I think I got legend of mana and chrono Cross's but was missing the threads of fate soundtrack CD).

Kind of amazed they still have this game in stock though and are selling it :p .

[quote name='Velo214']yeah i love the colors and the magic and this game would have been great for trophies considering i did 3 runthroughs to get all of the characters and yet noone will ever know ;)[/QUOTE]

Makes you miss those good ol' days when you didn't have toworry about your friends having more trophies than you

This game has one of the most difficult to grasp, but fun combat systems of any RPG i've played.

The trick is that you need to activate the same color spells in level order; unfortunately, for much of the early game I didn't have enough variety spells to actually accomplish this. So my party was using a mix of colors in order to have access to healing, etc. It wasn't until the 2nd disc that things clicked and I finally got the hang of combat.

The price is 13.37 now. It's that good.

I've had problems playing it on the PS3 where it decides it wants to freeze. Which is sad. I love this game.

Does it freeze regardless of options? Guess I won't worry about playing it when I get a new PS3...I'll just pull out a PS2.

[quote name='willardhaven']This, FF IX, BoF IV and FF VII are my top picks on the PS1.[/QUOTE]

No mention of Xenogears? You're about to have your gamer cared revoked!

Related topic-is there any reputable store selling NEW first part Playstation 1 memory cards? I'd like some more, for if mine wear out.

Regarding Breath of Fire, I found the third one super repetitive/boring-that was era where the shine first started coming off the Japanese RPG for me. What's bad is looking back I'd gladly play that than the newer stuff like Tales that I can't stand.

Xenogears wasn't Chrono Trigger, but it was pretty good. What's funny is it's maybe 50% longer than a Final Fantasy game, and I think even the developers started going "WE'VE GOT TO JUST GET THIS OVER WITH" when they change to a storytelling method partway through (around the 50 hour mark for me) that lets them speed things up.

The story has every science fiction cliche thrown in, but that still makes it better than most Japanese RPGs (excepting stuff like Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Chrono Trigger, Lunar, etc.)

And I love the Power Rangers-esque mechs, how you can fight on foot, and there's a whole separate fighting system when you call your mech...which if I'm remembering correctly you can do at basically any time. Ridiculous to be fighting some man-sized enemies on foot, and then you have a character summon their Gear, and the whole screen pulls back to fit in this multiple story tall mech for some completely ridiculous/hilarious overkill.

Weird...writing all this I'm having all kinds of memories of that game come back. It's weird/derivative of other sci-fi, over the top and schlocky put together, but considering how much modern Japanese RPGs suck for the most part, it would be worth seeking out if you missed it. I mean Xenogears wins over "Tales of my crappy battle system part 90: INFINITE JUSTICE of Veranda Part 4", or whatever garbage they make now. And...okay, I haven't played it yet, but it sure seems more interesting than Dragon Quest 9 too.

And needless to say, buy Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 if for some reason you don't own them.

For what it's worth, I'm a couple hours in, and so far it's pretty great. Looks good, music ranges between generic to really awesome. Battle system is cool so far.

We'll see how far I get, whether I get stuck again. I suppose I can harass the crowd here this time if I do get stuck!

Gots to say the initial impression is MUCH better than the typical modern Japanese RPG. This somehow comes off as a higher-end production, the battle system takes some getting used to but actually makes sense (so far), etc.

Hey, Sakaguchi, so maybe it'll be like FF8 was for me, where the first time I went "HUH?" until I was talked in to giving it another shot.

EDIT: Oh, and the start of it drops you in to a weird senario right away-no boring exposition right off the bat. (Does slow down then, but...it works for me, and besides the music's good and the contrast is kind of neat)

Seemingly the theme is kind of wistful-how things can play out differently in your life. It's something I occasionally think about, and it's rare for a work of fiction to address it, as this seems to be. The music fits the theme somehow too.

I forgot to ask...okay, so "Stars" seem to basically be levels. It seems like after you get one, the next few battles will see your stats go up.

Any way to make stats go up more? Do you only get a star after a key battle? That's what it seems like. So is fighting random enemies pointless?

[quote name='Wolfpup']I forgot to ask...okay, so "Stars" seem to basically be levels. It seems like after you get one, the next few battles will see your stats go up.

Any way to make stats go up more? Do you only get a star after a key battle? That's what it seems like. So is fighting random enemies pointless?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you gain star levels at set times after certain fights. Though you should still get minor stat increases from other fights.

If you've played Chrono Trigger but haven't played Chrono Cross you should go kill yourself.

DEM FMV's.

Also the debug room. I picked this up at GameDude in NH, California a few years ago. DEM GRAFIX

Does anyone know how to buy a new Playstation 1 memory card, first party, hopefully from a reputable seller?

Maybe not possible, but I'm paranoid about wearing up saves...saving less often then I should be because of that, 'cause I don't have nearly enough PS1 memory cards :whistle2:0

[quote name='Wolfpup']Maybe not possible, but I'm paranoid about wearing up saves...saving less often then I should be because of that, 'cause I don't have nearly enough PS1 memory cards :whistle2:0[/QUOTE]

If you are running out of space on your PS1 cards you can transfer the saves onto a PS2 card. You won't be able to save PS1 games directly to a PS2 card, but the memory browser will let you transfer saves between the two types of cards. PS1 cards are 128KB and official PS2 cards are 8MB, so a single PS2 card will let you store 64 PS1 cards of storage on a single card.

The other option is using a PS3 which doesn't require physical memory cards. You'll also be able to connect a USB thumb drive and transfer saves to it for backup purposes onto a computer if you want.

[quote name='SScorpio']If you are running out of space on your PS1 cards you can transfer the saves onto a PS2 card. You won't be able to save PS1 games directly to a PS2 card, but the memory browser will let you transfer saves between the two types of cards. PS1 cards are 128KB and official PS2 cards are 8MB, so a single PS2 card will let you store 64 PS1 cards of storage on a single card.

The other option is using a PS3 which doesn't require physical memory cards. You'll also be able to connect a USB thumb drive and transfer saves to it for backup purposes onto a computer if you want.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Simply backup all your PS1 saves on a PS2 memory card, then use your newly free memory card for as many saves as you want. Too bad they won't let you save directly onto the PS2 memory card but I think it is because the PS1 hardware won't recognize it.

Thanks guys, but I'm really hoping to find actual new memory cards...maybe a lost cause :(

I'm not doing TOO terribly for space (I mean it's fairly tight, but not critical), but I am worried about how many total saves I can do...I mean I think this flash was officially rated for what, 1000 saves per slot? (And every time it's having to rewrite directory info too.)

I'm just hating to "spend" my PS1 saves doing that.

Maybe I should have just held off until I bought another PS3 after all. At least it can still run PS1 games! Certainly better than nothing.

Heck, if I knew for a fact that the PS4 would be able to run PS1 and 2 games.... (like maybe just because emulating the previous system is a lot harder...) I might just standardize on PS3, but oh well.

I think I played through the game completely three times, plus used a couple of particular saves to see a few other endings as well. Awesome game.

But... I still haven't played Chrono Trigger.

Time to play Chrono Trigger then! :whistle2:D

Man, it's probably going to be ages before I finish this. I'm already like 7:30 in (though of course that counts time I'm away from the TV), and I bet I barely scratched the surface. I was like 30-50 hours in first time I quit it.

I have to add my full endorsement for this game.
The visuals, soundtrack, game play and story are all topnotch.
Just seeing the title makes me well up with nostalgia.

The lack of ability to really power level if you need it kind of scares me... (although at least it means hopefully I won't waste tons of time on random battles, relative to other Japanese RPGs...)

i just picked up Final Fantasy Chronicles and have started playing Chrono Trigger again. Never got a chance to play Chrono Cross and just found this on the square enix website for 14.99 plus shipping im sure of it. Now that amazon is selling it pretty cheap maybe I will pick it up.

thanks OP

Would picking up a black label version of Chrono Cross for under 15 be worth it in excellent condition?

Last edited by a moderator:
The way to get the "real" ending in this game is kind of nuts, not to mention the roster of party you can play with. A fondly remembered game :cool:

Also, where's Chrono 3?

[quote name='WankerJist']Also, where's Chrono 3?[/QUOTE]

This may enlighten you...

At E3 2009, SE Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto remarked, "If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

Basically, keep buying copies of CC and CT: DS, and they may get around to it.

Hey, well then I guess I just pitched in :lol:

I wonder how long they've been printing copies of this and the Final Fantasy games? Like my guess is they've actually been printing these well after the Playstation 1 was basically dead. maybe not this year. Maybe not even last year, but it wouldn't surprise me if they've done printings from time to time, which is pretty cool!

Xenogears was pretty cool-so far I like it better than this, though less than the FF series or Chrono Trigger, but it's another one that could benefit from being in print, it seems like. (Goes for over $100 on Amazon.)

Too bad other companies don't do as good of a job about keeping stuff in print! I have to hand it to Square.

Okay, I'm 14 hours in and I'm SOOOO BORED again. I'm hunting around for the next thing to trigger some progress after doing that ghost ship sequence.

I don't know, I'm not having much fun, once again thinking it's no Chrono Trigger, and thinking about quitting again.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Okay, I'm 14 hours in and I'm SOOOO BORED again. I'm hunting around for the next thing to trigger some progress after doing that ghost ship sequence.

I don't know, I'm not having much fun, once again thinking it's no Chrono Trigger, and thinking about quitting again.[/QUOTE]

i felt the same about cross. i eventually sold it and have no intention of rebuying it. i just dont understand how people can say its so good.

bread's done
Back