Civ 4- CAG PitBoss Game! Game is over, victory to Jesse Dylan!

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Is it just me, or does the new turn occur later every day? I used to play my turn in the morning. I thought.[/QUOTE]

I think it's because the server went down for a few hours, and the timer started back when it got rebooted? I noticed the same thing.

Server coming down for relocation in my pad.

Estimated downtime 1 hour.

In addition, construction on my place will begin on March 22nd. Construction may play havoc with my internet. Construction will take approximatly 3 Months. (Project o' doom, yo.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='keithp']I thought we'd get a notice when a Wonder was built. I guess not![/QUOTE]

I know! I worked on a wonder for 20 turns only to be surprised when it "completed". I need to get my head in the game.

Server is coming offline for a short time as I have fun with CAT5e.

By fun, I mean "I wish I had a job so I could just buy wireless dongles for everything god damnit."

As everyone appears to have taken their turn, the server is not actually being shut down, the turn timer will continue to countdown.

Server is back online.

Stapling CAT5e to the ceiling so no one trips is both incredibly useful and a giant pain in the ass at the same time.

Impulse did an update or something, and I don't know if it's related, but all my options got reset in-game and my profile got signed out, and I have to re-input the IP.

I don't know why it insists upon doing this every month or so, but it's right annoying.

Also, PlayYourTurn is now able to send e-mails when it's your turn. I kind of like having it as a reminder. Haven't missed a day since I turned it on! If I don't take my turn I get harassed by "It's your turn!" e-mails over and over until I do, though. I think there are two options, and I should only have signed up for one when I signed up for both.

Weird, that sucks. There hasn't been an update to Civ4 in years, hehe.

I'll have to check out the PYT thingy. Thanks for the heads up!

Had it happen again! Can figure out no rhyme or reason to it. I'm sure it's Impulse doing it. I suppose I should be complaining on the forum over there, not here.

Server is fucked right now.

Hard locked sometime during the night, now when I try and reboot it, it begins flashing rapidly and the BIOS screen is garbled.

Kind of like when you try to play a very dirty NES game.

Server is down for the time being. No ETA on when it'll be available.

No problem man. Just pick it up and blow into it real good, kinda spit a little, and try it again. Always works with NES games. Well, that and a Buddhist chant I did.

Here's what's going on with the server.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlYQbC2JN5U

This is what greeted me when I woke up this morning.

The server hardlocked sometime overnight. When I attempted to reboot it, this's what I got.

I thought it might have been an overheating issue, but the fans are working fine and I gave it a through dusting.

I might know my software, but hardware makes my brain hurt.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I have to guess its a graphics card issue. Can you try swapping out the VGA card, or are you running on-board video?

It's a Geforce 6600 in there. I do have an 8800GT that might be bad that I got saddled with a few years back, but I don't know if the PSU can handle it.

I'll give it a shot though, thanks.

These next 3 days are going to be hell on my timing. I just got a new job and there's a massive project happening between now and Wednesday. Hopefully I can get some time to look at it, but I'm not anticipating I will.

Planning to swap in the other card tomorrow.

In other news, I'm fully expecting a hurricane, tornado or maybe the surrounding area will magically turn into a desert full of deadly radiation tomorrow.

Wow! I wasn't expecting it fixed so soon! I was afraid it might be fried for good. Thanks for going above and beyond, man! It'll be cool to get back into the game! Barring floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and radiation deserts. Desserts? Uh... Well, radiation desserts, too.

Today's expected disaster has occured, rendering it improbable for me to get to the bloody thing.

When you're working on somebody's house that needs to be cleaned up, tell them what needs to be moved and cleaned for the areas you're going to work on. Do not tell him where to clean then DECIDE TO DO SOMETHING THE fuck ELSE THAT ALSO HAS A TON OF STUFF TO DO.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Wow! I wasn't expecting it fixed so soon! I was afraid it might be fried for good. Thanks for going above and beyond, man! It'll be cool to get back into the game! Barring floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and radiation deserts. Desserts? Uh... Well, radiation desserts, too.[/QUOTE]

What'd be funny is if we get a bunch of natural disasters happen in the game after it gets back up.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']
I dreamed last night that it was back up and I missed 10 turns and cried.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Were you still winning?

Update:

Sorry for taking so bloody long to get this done, I've been busy as hell lately.

Sucks when you have a 4 day stretch where the only time you're at home beyond sleeping is about 3 hours.

Combined.

Anyway, it was definitly the video card.

I pulled the card and unfortuatly the 8800gt is pci express and the motherboard is agp.

Plugged into on-board and it's booting up now.

As far as the game goes, no idea yet. Should be ok, since it's not actually running any graphics, but we'll see.

Current plan is to restart the game on Friday, April 16th in the afternoon sometime. Not sure when since I'm going in for a scan on my stomach. (Nothing to worry about, just a precaution scan.) This'll give everyone a chance to read this and get ready!

Ok, figured out what it was.

Apparently sometime over these last few weeks, my IP changed, I was actually offline long enough for it to refresh.

The new IP will be PMed to all players.

Okay guys, does your game ever "reset"? Like, you turn it on, and instead of loading "your" profile, it loads the "default" and all the options are reset and it deletes the IP address of the server and you have to put it in again?

WHY DOES IT DO THIS???

Arnold says GAHHHH!

Nope, mine's stayed the same the entire time. Even through the downtime and everything. (Then again, I put in a network IP, which hasn't changed.)

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Okay guys, does your game ever "reset"? Like, you turn it on, and instead of loading "your" profile, it loads the "default" and all the options are reset and it deletes the IP address of the server and you have to put it in again?

WHY DOES IT DO THIS???

Arnold says GAHHHH![/QUOTE]

No, mine has been the same all along too.

I don't think you should assume my score means I'm winning. :) I keep waiting for the bubble to pop and my little community to collapse and everyone to say, "Ah, I see what happened there."

Maybe I should try to maintain the illusion of control and confidence. :)

Man, I can't wait for my comp to get working again. Vid card blew and I'm waiting for a replacement to show up.

Running the server and I can't even play, hahaha.

There are a few things I've never understood about this game really.

One, cities inevitably get the green stink cloud and the green sick frown. Besides building an aqueduct, how can you fix this? How can it be avoided? I built an aqueduct and my people are still living in their rank, putrid bowel ejection and drinking each other's urine apparently.

Two, the angry red-faced people. "It's too crowded!" is the main complaint. Uhhh, kay? So you want your cities to grow, but then they get too crowded? They can be pacified with coliseums and stuff, but... I dunno. I still don't really get it.

I know you guys aren't the instruction manual, but I'd rather look for dung in a rhino's butthole than search through an on-line manual to find the answers.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']There are a few things I've never understood about this game really.

One, cities inevitably get the green stink cloud and the green sick frown. Besides building an aqueduct, how can you fix this? How can it be avoided? I built an aqueduct and my people are still living in their rank, putrid bowel ejection and drinking each other's urine apparently.

[/quote]

You're getting unhealthy reactions. It's from crowding and production buildings. Aqueducts help, but also having access to health producing resources helps a TON. Find your nearby resources and build the appropriate things on them. It's things like sheep and horses and clams, various foodstuffs if I recall.

Two, the angry red-faced people. "It's too crowded!" is the main complaint. Uhhh, kay? So you want your cities to grow, but then they get too crowded? They can be pacified with coliseums and stuff, but... I dunno. I still don't really get it.

Unhappiness. Your city gets -1 Happiness for each population. Build things like theaters and coliseums, that'll help.

bread's done
Back