Civ 4- CAG PitBoss Game! Game is over, victory to Jesse Dylan!

[quote name='Logain8955']Damn you Keith, you snuck in and grabbed my only source of iron, haha.[/QUOTE]

Oh, was that yours? Maybe we can trade for it :D

How did you guys get Civ 4's multiplayer working? I can't even get it connected to GameSpy, much less direct IP. Unless there's a guide to getting Civ 4 multiplayer to work with Windows 7, I probably won't be able to play that way till Civ 5 comes along and has decent multiplayer netcode. :(

[quote name='eastx']How did you guys get Civ 4's multiplayer working? I can't even get it connected to GameSpy, much less direct IP. Unless there's a guide to getting Civ 4 multiplayer to work with Windows 7, I probably won't be able to play that way till Civ 5 comes along and has decent multiplayer netcode. :([/QUOTE]

I'm running 7 on my client machine, didn't have a single problem. Server's running XP.

What is the exact problem? Did you make sure it's allowed in your firewall?

Yeah, I made sure. Both of my PCs are running Windows 7 x 64, and neither one can even connect to GameSpy through Civ4. Windows Firewall has both checkmarks selected (to allow everything) for the game. Neither of my PCs has trouble with other online games like Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, WoW, or Star Trek Online.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, I made sure. Both of my PCs are running Windows 7 x 64, and neither one can even connect to GameSpy through Civ4. Windows Firewall has both checkmarks selected (to allow everything) for the game. Neither of my PCs has trouble with other online games like Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, WoW, or Star Trek Online.[/QUOTE]

Maybe your router is blocking it? I'm not sure what port Civ4 uses but maybe it's different than those other games.

Sorry to introduce a new topic. However.

So yesterday, after frantically logging in to take my turn, I rushed my computer up to the local shop for work (seems to be hard drive failure). There was no need to rush, I found out, as they won't even look at it until Tuesday. Oops. Should have just kept it til then and taken my turns!

Anyway, the point of course is that I will likely be missing a few turns, maybe a lot. If only it ran in 800x600 or 1024x600 so my laptop could handle it with all the detail off. :(

I have an old Acer desktop that could hack it if I did it out and plug it in. It's a pain, but I probably will, as I cannot bear leaving my society without a mentor.

(Course if I missed a few turns, that would give me a good excuse if I lose!)

Damn finicky hard drives. I have to go to my chiropractor tomorrow, too; my own hardware needs fixing!

Good news is I got the old bird out and hooked her up. Her USB ports are fickle as a woman (no offense, Leah), the wireless networking somehow no longer works, but stringing a network cable across the whole basement worked. Only missed one turn!

I'm still going to blame that if I lose tho.

[quote name='m_d_amore']can i get in on next 1?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='humidore']next match? this one's taking foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr[/QUOTE]

LOL, maybe his grandkids can. Also, I have a business trip coming up next week and if I can't get the game to run on my P.O.S. work laptop I'll be missing a week myself. But I will leave strict orders with my fledgling empire not to revolt while I'm gone.

[quote name='leahthevegan']Nice name change, Jesse.[/QUOTE]
ha, thanks :) I was thinking I might try a new one every day.

Yep, we'll be playing this til Civ V comes out, I'd imagine, maybe longer!

I don't suppose putting the cities on auto-manage or whatever would be a good idea if you're going to miss a few turns? The auto-manager always wants to make military units. Ugh. Or makes forges in towns where there are already green puky faces.

There are no resources around my cities to combat the puke faces. I blame Logain. Somehow.

When I thought I was going ot miss turns, I even thought about asking one of you guys to play my turns for me. Obsession anyone?

Yet when the server was on hiatus for a while, I missed like 5 turns once it got back on again and didn't care. I'm weird. Fickle. Capricious.

This is off-topic, and I apologize, but I'd like to talk briefly about Blood Bowl. Impulse had it on sale, and I would have bought it, but I really want it on Steam. And, frankly, I wish I had Civ IV on Steam as well. Nothing against Impulse at all. I just like Steam better.

I hope I haven't missed a Steam Blood Bowl sale. :s I think I keep a pretty close eye on the Steam thread, and I have the CAG deals forum subscribed.

Twas the water table.

But the sump pumps are running all day every day, the dehumidifier's going, today is sunny, and I think I got the mess cleaned up. Whoo! I'm going to buy a good wet vac for next time tho.

Steam could assuage this with Blood Bowl for $15. Yes, I'm still going on about that.

Could have been a lot worse, that's for sure.

I have a list of games I want Steam to have sales on. Hurry up, Steam! Glad they added the wishlist function at least. Still wish I had Civ IV on there, but you can bet that's where I'll be getting Civ V when it's sufficiently cheap-assy.

[quote name='Logain8955']Yeah dude, I don't have base CiV4 installed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, saved me a couple gigs. Geez i need a new hard drive :/

Thus Jesse launches into a fit of Steam scowering. I won't talk about that here, though.

I think I'll keep waiting on Blood Bowl. Waited this long. Or I might crack on the last day of the sale and grab it. :) Don't want it to show up for $7.49 as a daily.

[quote name='Treymoney']Jesse, Blood Bowl is $5.90 right now at gogamer.com![/QUOTE]
And it makes me cry not to buy it, but I'm Steam-obsessed! Haven't bought a game outside of a Steam (or Impulse--but really prefer Steam) sale for... uh.. well, a while. :)

haha, hey come on, I missed like 10 turns total :)

I have to confess I cannot figure out trading. I'm trading with a few of you guys, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, open borders are our friends. We need to spread those religions. As long as you aren't getting ass stabbed.

Are any of you guys on Steam? Logain, I know you are, but there are like 40 Logains on there. :) oops.

Is anyone trying to win via building wonders? I swear you guys must be building them like crazy. I don't think I've built any at all, though I'm not sure. I can't find a screen that tells. Is there one? Baffling game. I'll figure it out after Civ V has been out half a year.

My steam name is InverseMatrix.

Wonders you'll have to find the city.

However, wonders take FOREVER to build (20+ turns) and have a little cinematic that plays when you build it. You'll know.

My steam ID is Ubersoldat

I've build quite a few wonders, mostly because my character is industrious. Its kind of hard to tell whats been built in this mode because you don't get a notification when someone completes a wonder (or when you finish one for that matter). To tell whats built, click the info screen button on the top right (or hit F9). Then click on "Top 5 Cities / Wonders", and you get a list of whats been built, and by whom.

Thanks, csalz! I'll check it out. I'm gonna add all you guys, too.

Humidore, I couldn't get it to find you under Jengo. I might be doing something wrong. Just using the Add a Friend button.

Coulda sworn I built the Globe Theater, but I'm not sure. Guess I'll find out. I knew someone was building the things, though, because I haven't had many options to build any of them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn WoW. I wish for me, in my own life, that I could be a moderate, casual WoW-player, perhaps just a few hours per week. But I either avoid it for months on end and itch when I think about it, or I say I MUST PLAY IT and.... play nothing else... do nothing else... Eat, sleep, work, WoW, until I can no longer keep it up, and then I put it aside for another 6-12 months. And come back and have no idea how to play and start it all over again.

Why, God, why?

We have a complicated initiation ritual involving cross-dressing, nudity and the reading of James Joyce's Ulysses in its entirety whilst hanging from a small tree by your feet.

Actually, the trouble is that we already started the game a few months ago (I can't even remember when it was!), and there's no way to add new people to an existing game, and God knows when we'll be done with this one.

The more the merrier for the next game, though, so hopefully you can get in on that one.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Thanks, csalz! I'll check it out. I'm gonna add all you guys, too.

Humidore, I couldn't get it to find you under Jengo. I might be doing something wrong. Just using the Add a Friend button.

Coulda sworn I built the Globe Theater, but I'm not sure. Guess I'll find out. I knew someone was building the things, though, because I haven't had many options to build any of them. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, try "cengize". Jengo is my profile name, i thought that is what you use to add as friend, but I guess not...!

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Damn WoW. But I either avoid it for months on end and itch when I think about it, or I say I MUST PLAY IT and.... play nothing else... do nothing else... Eat, sleep, work, WoW, until I can no longer keep it up, and then I put it aside for another 6-12 months. And come back and have no idea how to play and start it all over again.

Why, God, why?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Same. Evil, delicious WoW.

I just bought Borderlands at Steam. Anybody here playing that?

I bought it, too. :) And the DLC. heh..... But actually playing it? Not yet! I've got so much stuff on there eeeek. Can't pass up a great deal. Seems really fun tho.

Got you now humidore!

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I bought it, too. :) And the DLC.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I got the DLC, too. Maybe we can do some multi-player...if I can get into WoW rehab. :)

About Civ 4 multi-player: Would it be possible to get another game going? I noticed that it was on the Steam sale again, and there will probably be more people who want to play.

If you mean starting up a second game, I don't see how you could run multiple PB clients on the same ip.

You just type in the ip and nothing else, it doesn't look like you would be able to choose different games to join.

If you mean shutting down this one and restarting, I wouldn't mind that.

And speaking of cocaine:

I tried soloing the Blood Elf city leader last night. Got him down to 700k before some hordie jumped me and killed me.

Daaaaaaaamnit.

We need a CAG WoW guild. I'd start playing again. (EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.)

Borderlands seems really cool--we should definitely play sometime. :) Did anyone else buy it?

RESTARTING???????? Maybe if it was like Lemmings and I could make all my citizens just explode, BOOOM. :) I'd be sad if we restarted, but if everyone else wanted to, well, that's life!

i have borderlands and picked up some DLC (knox and moxxi) in the sale. would be cool to get back into it i guess, i haven't played in a looong time (never got around to beating the game even).

this match is either going to get interesting or really annoying, depending on who you are.

bread's done
Back