CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Tactical nuke is a 25 kill streak. I've played for many, many hours and haven't seen it or the akimbo smgs yet.[/QUOTE]

Play headquarters, I used to get around 25 kill streak once a session of about 1-3 hours.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Rumor going around that ALL Gamestops will be able to sell the game once they open this morning. Id call your local.[/QUOTE]

That is wrong cause I got a call yesterday saying that I couldn't get it until midnight and to come slightly early so they can get everyone's order situated before midnight.

[quote name='cdeener']That is wrong cause I got a call yesterday saying that I couldn't get it until midnight and to come slightly early so they can get everyone's order situated before midnight.[/QUOTE]

Was it a person or the typical Gamestop robo-call? I got a robocall on Saturday about it, and those are programmed in advance.

Its a bit hard to call it "wrong" yet, especially since yesterday was the day that all the Gamestop breaking street date crap really hit the news. Again, its a rumor via the comments on one of Kotaku's stories from one of their contributors. At any rate, we'll know in a few hours if its true or not.

I can't believe its out tomorrow, it's all a bit sudden and i'm not really hyped that much. I think the days are just going too quickly so I don't have time to get excited.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Was it a person or the typical Gamestop robo-call? I got a robocall on Saturday about it, and those are programmed in advance.

Its a bit hard to call it "wrong" yet, especially since yesterday was the day that all the Gamestop breaking street date crap really hit the news. Again, its a rumor via the comments on one of Kotaku's stories from one of their contributors. At any rate, we'll know in a few hours if its true or not.[/QUOTE]

I hope its right cause then I can go after work today instead of having to wait till Midnight.

Yeah it was a robo call.

[quote name='Littlefields']Two major things I am worried about: Tactical Nuke and Akimbo with SMGs. The tactical nuke is just crazy. I guess they're trying to make the matches more competitive, but I just don't like the idea of ending matches faster. SMGs using Akimbo sounds extremely overpowered. For those of you that have the copy early, what's your take on it?[/QUOTE]

I tried out Akimbo in some of the Spec-Ops missions (split screen w a friend, dual mini Uzi's), and it's fun, but I think it's balanced. Theres no aiming down the sights, and it takes a long time to reload. I think you could make a dedicated Akimbo class and get good with it. Unlimited sprint, faster run speed, and increased hip fire accuracy would all make for a good Akimbo class. Someone could probably get really good running all around the smaller maps with a config like that. But you'd really be sacrificing everything else to be able to dual wield effectively, so I doubt everyone will be doing it.

As for Tactical Nuke, how many players do you know that can routinely get 25 Kill streaks? And if you pick Tactical Nuke, you have to use one of the three Killstreak slots for it, so thats one less chopper or predator missle to worry about.

I think the best way to get a tacnuke would be to use other killstreak awards that can net you high kill counts. So if a 7 kill chopper is your first killstreak award, that can get you to 10 or more kills and get you a AC 120 gunship, which could get you to 25 kills if your good, and hide well while using the killstreaks.

The way Kill streaks work is as you level up, you get kill streak unlocks. You can then use them to unlock one of the killstreak awards. Your 3 that you can equip have to be from the ones you already have unlocked. If there are two or more killstreaks that require the same amount of kills to get, you can only have one of them slotted. So you can't get to four kills and unlock 2 killstreak awards at once.

So to get a Tactical Nuke, you have to unlock it, then equip it, then actually get the 25 kills. I think this will be extremely rare, and since it takes up a kill streak slot, that balances it a bit. I'm sure most peple aren't going to want to give up a chopper, or an AC 120 strike, for the small chance that they can get a tacnuke. Basically your giving up alot for a small chance at a big payoff.

I know that carepackages can contain killstreak awards that you don't have equipped, I got a helicopter gunship out of a carepackage and I don't even that award unlocked. It was like the AC 120 thermal vision strike, but in a chopper with you shooting a minigun, or some other bigass machinegun. But I don't know if a tacnuke from a care package is possible.

I don't see the Tactical Nuke be used that often. Puffa summarized it pretty good. It takes a lot to get it and you have to have it equipped. Even if you use the other killstreaks (helicopters, AC-130) to get it those require your player stays on the ground and survive. I think it is all balanced out. Its just going to suck when someone gets it in a care package.

[quote name='cdeener']I hope its right cause then I can go after work today instead of having to wait till Midnight.

Yeah it was a robo call.[/QUOTE]

Nah I think its just a stupid rumor. I called my local and they're not one of "those stores", as the stores that are selling it are in specific locations that have had lost sales due to the independent stores breaking street.

No worries on my end, I couldnt have picked it up till around closing anyway, and the midnight is 3 hours after that. Ill be hitting that up.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Rumor going around that ALL Gamestops will be able to sell the game once they open this morning. Id call your local.[/QUOTE]

I think that rumor should be put to rest with fourzerotwo's Twitter post yesterday. Any store selling it early will pay a hefty fine but IW won't punish players for it. As big as GS is as a franchise, I don't think they will be willing to do that and I can bet that a company memo went out this morning warning against such behavior.

[quote name='Pck21']I think that rumor should be put to rest with fourzerotwo's Twitter post yesterday. Any store selling it early will pay a hefty fine but IW won't punish players for it. As big as GS is as a franchise, I don't think they will be willing to do that and I can bet that a company memo went out this morning warning against such behavior.[/QUOTE]

Thats besides the point. Its confirmed and widely known that some Gamestops in the NE were selling the game early over the weekend at direction of corporate, and the rumor spawned from that and has since been put to rest.

http://kotaku.com/5399991/gamestop-...et-date-a-corporate-decision?skyline=true&s=x

Activision will do nothing to Gamestop. Theres too much money involved with future releases.

So I guess Amazon "release day delivery" is bullshit, then? This is the second time I've had it come a day late...at least I'm assuming that's what is going to happen since it still hasn't shipped yet but is "shipping soon" - unless they upgrade it to overnight it won't be here until Wednesday.

Not a big deal since I'll just buy a copy elsewhere and then return Amazon's to the store when it shows up if I can't wait, but it's still annoying.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Thats besides the point. Its confirmed and widely known that some Gamestops in the NE were selling the game early over the weekend at direction of corporate, and the rumor spawned from that and has since been put to rest.

http://kotaku.com/5399991/gamestop-...et-date-a-corporate-decision?skyline=true&s=x

Activision will do nothing to Gamestop. Theres too much money involved with future releases.[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :D

Just curious does the prestige edition come with the hardend edition. As in is the steel book?

Also I hear there's a mobile version of cag. What's the address?

For anyone who ordered from Amazon with free shipping before, when do new games typically start going out?

I'm wondering if I should be looking for it this week or not.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']For anyone who ordered from Amazon with free shipping before, when do new games typically start going out?

I'm wondering if I should be looking for it this week or not.[/QUOTE]

I ordered Fallout 3 GOTY with free shipping from amazon. It was released on October 13 and i received it on October 15.

I had no idea the new trailer came out on the 4th...are they in space blowing up a satellite!? Amazing, I can't wait.

Two small reviews on metacritic so far...both 100's.

[quote name='macontosh2000']I ordered Fallout 3 GOTY with free shipping from amazon. It was released on October 13 and i received it on October 15.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

My friend works at a Target and he said today he was asked multiple times by customers to sell the game to them. A few people offered him money, one person offered $50 to sell a prestige edition to him. He declined.

[quote name='tcrash247']My friend works at a Target and he said today he was asked multiple times by customers to sell the game to them. A few people offered him money, one person offered $50 to sell a prestige edition to him. He declined.[/QUOTE]

Not like he could have said yes anyways ... the register wouldn't let him even sell it.

And thanks slick :D

The best thing is I don't have to go in at Midnight cause one of my girlfriends works at the Gamestop I pre-ordered from and she is working tonight so she is picking it up for me and I will get it from her tomorrow after work.

I got some free stuff when I went to Gamestop tonight which was a free sample of Monster Energy Drink Shot called Hitman and the poster they were giving out with pre-orders.

Also, they had a setup at a local bar (The Gamestop is across the street) for people to play the game in HD and you played Team Deathmatch 2 on 2. The map was Afgan and you played in 5 minute matches. Luckily, my team won.

Gamestop is having a nationwide tournment starting on 11/20.

My friend told me there were apparently 20 people waiting inline at 8:00. I can only imagine what the line will be like around 11:30. I'm about to head out in a half hour or so to go wait inline with my friend. Hopefully they give us some free shit too.

Unfortunately, I will be undergoing surgery tomorrow and will be unable to play until this weekend :( I'm kind of upset, but I'll get over it. Rather feel better than play a game on release day.

The hype finally got me, so I ordered this game off of amazon to get the $20 credit with it. I liked the first game but wasn't very good at the multiplayer, so didn't have as much fun with it as my friends, which made me stick with Halo, which I've always been good at. This looks like it will be one of the most highly polished games of all time, so it's worth the $40.

Very happy about GF shipping a copy out to me today. Should get it by Wednesday. This is the second-straight time I've gotten a brand-new release from them. Got Borderlands a few weeks back.

my buddies have a store that always releases games early, they have had the game since last friday. Bowling Green, Ohio if anyone ever wants to get stuff early. Not living there means im waiting for my amazon delivery like everyone else thats smart in this world. paying full price isn't worth being able to play 12 hours earlier then the rest of us.

Got my copy at Walmart moments ago. Had about 15-20 people in line ahead of me in the electronics section so the line moved pretty fast. Almost done installing on the HDD :)

[quote name='Chris Dillon']my buddies have a store that always releases games early, they have had the game since last friday. Bowling Green, Ohio if anyone ever wants to get stuff early. Not living there means im waiting for my amazon delivery like everyone else thats smart in this world. paying full price isn't worth being able to play 12 hours earlier then the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

Amazon shipped out my copy (Prestige) today and its coming from Arizona. So, I should have it by about tomorrow or Wednesday. Good deal, considering I changed my order from Release Date (I paid the extra) to FSSS at the last minute.

A question for those of you who purchased the Prestige Edition: What number did you get on the stand for Night Vision Goggles? Like 00001/12345 or 12345/12345.

Against my better judgement, I went to the Gamestop midnight launch. There had to be 200 people in line. So I went to Walmart and looked around a little (hoping the new Three Stooges volume was out) and came back. I ended up getting out of there at 12:45 with my prestige edition.

I just got back from Best Buy midnight launch but I wasn't there for the game. I wanted the 12 month card for $30. I stepped inside and there the line almost stretched through the store. There was only one register for people to check out (return desk). I mean, seriously, would it hurt to open up a 2nd or 3rd register to move the line a little faster? I saw at least 4 employees, including 3 guarding the doors, doing nothing. Who would want to wait for over an hour in the line just to spend $60? They did have a cool setup going on at the other end of the store with a 360 and the game, but you lost your place in line if you went over there to play. I stayed for about 20 minutes watching other people play the game, and then I left (had to get by a Best Buy security nazi who stopped me cause I guess it looked suspicious that I left without buying anything). I'll be back tomorrow to buy the 12 month card.

Perhaps it's not the case for everyone, or even every Best Buy, but retailers should definitely make an effort to make these midnight launch experiences more fun because I have a feeling the majority of the experience is just waiting, waiting, waiting.

So...I played through the "Controversial" Mission. My thoughts:

It's a pretty bad mission. What makes the mission completely lose focus is about halfway through the mission you see a flight board. And they all quickly roll over into saying Delayed. I don't know about you, but I kinda chuckled at that part. And that's kinda where I thought the Mission lost it and lost all the compassion you thought you might have had.

just got back from the gamestop launch....i'd say about 90% of the people were buying the 360 version...i couldnt believe how many people were walking out with the special edition 360! I cant wait to see the sales numbers on this game

[quote name='KingBroly']So...I played through the "Controversial" Mission. My thoughts:

It's a pretty bad mission. What makes the mission completely lose focus is about halfway through the mission you see a flight board. And they all quickly roll over into saying Delayed. I don't know about you, but I kinda chuckled at that part. And that's kinda where I thought the Mission lost it and lost all the compassion you thought you might have had.
[/QUOTE]

Yea, I just played through it as well. I thought a little differently

In terms of setting up the story its a very interesting mission. I felt it in my gut when I was shooting the people. It seemed to end a bit abruptly, but I definitely did not see coming what happened, and that works in regards to the rest of the story, how they can blame it on an American etc. The flight board was a bit cheesy and was done for dramatic intent obviously, but yeah, mowing down civilians was not fun like it is in the GTA way and I can see why that mission was so short.

I was in and out of blockbuster in 2 minutes. How ever, Since I know the manager and the employees, I went there early and talked with them. There was maybe a total of 5 people at blockbuster while Wal-mart had at least 50 people in the electronics isle and AT LEAST 100 people outside of Gamestop. I just laughed to my self considering I was in and out mostly lol. Pretty good game so far from what I have played.

Damn, the hype payed off. This game is intense, both the action move like single player and the frantic multiplayer. My only complaint is that some of the terrain model work and odds and ends of player models look awful (Soap's snow shoes anyone?) But all in all I'm having a blast.

Against my better judgment, I opened my Prestige edition instead of keeping it sealed. The night vision goggles are actually decent. They do feel a little plastic-y, but they're definitely a fully functioning pair of night vision goggles.

Damn, I can't wait til I get home from work tomorrow. 4 copies of MW2 for me and my friends will be waiting at my doorstep.
One of my crazy friends, like many of you, bought the Prestige. I want to try to piss in pitch black too.
Instead I used my 50% off Amazon coupon on a shitty Wireless Hori Tekken stick bundle.

Play MW2 or go to work...hard choice.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Game, set, match.

Game of the year.[/QUOTE]

Forcing game chat on you with the 360 version on all playlists instead of just a few (Search and Destroy, etc.) has me leaning to Uncharted 2 staying at GotY in my book.

[quote name='Scorch']Against my better judgment, I opened my Prestige edition instead of keeping it sealed. The night vision goggles are actually decent. They do feel a little plastic-y, but they're definitely a fully functioning pair of night vision goggles.[/QUOTE]

So how many are out there? It should say on the stand "xxxxx/xxxxx"

[quote name='MSUHitman']Forcing game chat on you with the 360 version on all playlists instead of just a few (Search and Destroy, etc.) has me leaning to Uncharted 2 staying at GotY in my book.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 2 is second for me. The chat situation on MW2 is inconsequential to me and I couldn't care any less. Spec Ops mode has put MW2 over the top.

The biggest negative against MW2 so far is the single player campaign. Some of the missions seem REALLY short and so far (Im at the end of Act II already, but I am playing through first on Regular then will go to Veteran) Ive not seen any of the wow moments in single player that COD4 had aside from the snow level and the 2nd to last level in Act II. It looks great and plays great (Keith David is the shit), but its missing something so far. Hope it comes in Act III.

For those curious to the length,
It's about 5 and 1/2 hours. A bit short, but it was fun the whole time.

Question about the story,
Why did shepard betray them? It didn't seem like it was 'getting' him anything

Question:
In the first Modern Warfare there was a setting to change the colors of the name above players heads in multiplayer. I cant recall where that was but I cant find it in MW2. Can anyone tell me if its in there and where?

Thanks,

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Damn, I can't wait til I get home from work tomorrow. 4 copies of MW2 for me and my friends will be waiting at my doorstep.
One of my crazy friends, like many of you, bought the Prestige. I want to try to piss in pitch black too.
Instead I used my 50% off Amazon coupon on a shitty Wireless Hori Tekken stick bundle.

Play MW2 or go to work...hard choice.[/QUOTE]

My copy I ordered through Amazon 3 months ago is delayed and won't be delivered today. But you get 4 copies delivered.

bread's done
Back