CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

Damn it! I was trying to get the Mario icon. So after an hour of playing i finally go 10-0 using no killstreaks. But i guess im not supposed to have any killstreaks selected. :bomb:

^got that one by accident, was changing killstreaks when the match started. As for the whole OMA/Noob tube kit, it sucks. Ive tried the OMA thing on rust because i usually run out of bullets fast on that map, but i dont use noob tubes. At all. The kit is horrible, everytime i see someone using it they usually end up with at least seven or eight more deaths than kills. And about what trakan said about PSN gamers, they really do mostly suck, i played TDM at my friends house on his ps3 and i got all these different killstreaks and the retards just tryed running away instead of switching to a different class and taking them out.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Most of the maps are actually quite good. The only ones I really hate are Wasteland and Rundown... I pretty much try to talk the room into voting for a skip every time they come up.[/QUOTE]

This game seems to have a much, much higher rate of "Map Disapproval" than COD4 ever did, at least from my experience on TDM. And overall I think there are several maps that just aren't that interesting.

Quarry, Karachi, Rundown, Estate...all kinda meh. Wasteland can be dull (though I've found it can be one of the best for k/d ratio if you end up playing guys who do nothing but keep running into the central cave area).

Of all of those levels -- which I find to be voted down pretty regularly -- Estate takes the cake. People seem to hate that level as it gets voted down over and over. And it's not especially well designed either...every game seems to be one team running into the house and everyone else trying to get in.

There ARE some great maps, but overall I think their batting average is a lot lower than the COD4 maps. There are also LOTS of map areas that never get utilized at all on some of the levels...the main gameplay always seems to be in one specific section of those maps. Hopefully some new DLC levels will add a lot into the mix. (And I still love this game, don't get me wrong -- I just think a few of the maps are kinda "meh").

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Of all of those levels -- which I find to be voted down pretty regularly -- Estate takes the cake. People seem to hate that level as it gets voted down over and over. And it's not especially well designed either...every game seems to be one team running into the house and everyone else trying to get in.

There ARE some great maps, but overall I think their batting average is a lot lower than the COD4 maps. There are also LOTS of map areas that never get utilized at all on some of the levels...the main gameplay always seems to be in one specific section of those maps.[/QUOTE]

As seen with the Heatmaps that bungie has from Halo 3 , there are almost always going to be certain areas of a map that become the deathtrap zones , some maps are just far worse about it than others (the caves in Wasteland , the house in Estate , ect.). Your point about map areas not being used is also a good one , as in Estate , and to a lesser extent Wasteland , you have all that area on the outskirts of the map that almost never gets used because all the fighting gets focused on the central area.

All this OMA hate and I think it works well in the right situation. I went like 42-1 just last night with it. Many setups work best when you have a good support and communication from your team. For instance, sniping can work well on Highrise only if you whole team doesn't rush the other spawn and switch spawn points putting you directly in enemy territory with the enemies spawning in your back pocket.

Also, I think IW needs to get off their ass, swallow their pride, and supply web-stats like Treyarch did for W@W.

I think so many people hate the maps in MW2 over COD4 (believe me there was just as much specific map hate there) because they cannot adjust to the new verticality and tactics required for these new maps and even new weapons/perks/attachments changes. I usually will not vote out a map unless I've been playing it repeatedly that night which for some reason seems to be happening a lot just the past week.

Well I finally caved in and got MW2, and now I remember why I did not want to get it. This game is GREAT with friends, but playing with randoms really makes me wanna kill someone.

I was playing domination and I was trying to capture the flags on Scrapyard. I had 2-3 team mates try to grill me about my k/d ratio, EVEN THROUGH I WAS WAS #2 ON THE POINT LIST! All they wanted to do was get kills and I was the only one that was capturing the flags. Half way I just literally camped in the corner and watched my team get dominated for 4 minutes because these assholes did not capture any flag.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Of all of those levels -- which I find to be voted down pretty regularly -- Estate takes the cake. People seem to hate that level as it gets voted down over and over. And it's not especially well designed either...every game seems to be one team running into the house and everyone else trying to get in. [/QUOTE]

I actually love the fact that Estate causes everything to be centralized over control of the house. It gives it a bit more of a tactical feel than just the "run around like a spaz and look for something to shoot" that the deathmatch modes normally are. Additionally, the house is NOT really that great of a place to hole up. Every hiding spot is extremely obvious and virtually everywhere you go has multiple back doors where you can get sniped or someone can sneak in on you (unless you hide in the bathroom on top of the toilet like a douche).

Just a matter of opinion and preference I guess :) I definitely agree that I could go for a map pack soon... even if you like the levels, there are not enough of them to keep things interesting for much longer. More variety would also be great. There are several tilesets and locales from the single player game that never get visited in multiplayer and I feel like maybe we could go for more variety in size (maybe a couple really big maps and one more that is really small like Rust). The size of a map seems to have a big factor on how the game plays out (slow and snipey like Wasteland or fast and furious like Rust).

[quote name='brother bendu']
I was playing domination and I was trying to capture the flags on Scrapyard. I had 2-3 team mates try to grill me about my k/d ratio, EVEN THROUGH I WAS WAS #2 ON THE POINT LIST! All they wanted to do was get kills and I was the only one that was capturing the flags. Half way I just literally camped in the corner and watched my team get dominated for 4 minutes because these assholes did not capture any flag.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's absolutely a waste of time to play any objective based game with randoms.

Stick to mercenary team death match or free for all when, playing with randoms. And find friends or CAGs to play with for the other modes.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it's absolutely a waste of time to play any objective based game with randoms.

Stick to mercenary team death match or free for all when, playing with randoms. And find friends or CAGs to play with for the other modes.[/QUOTE]

I been playing domination and have not ran into this problem until last night. I never had that problem on CoD4 either, so I can't complain too much.

However the community for MW2 seems to be almost as bad as the one in Halo 3. The only positive thing I can say is that I have not heard the "N" word yet.

As for the maps I do agree they are kinda a bore. While I do like some of them, there are others that are plagued with noobtube/campers in which makes the game more of a chore to play.

[quote name='brother bendu']However the community for MW2 seems to be almost as bad as the one in Halo 3. The only positive thing I can say is that I have not heard the "N" word yet.[/QUOTE]

Consider yourself lucky. I hear it on average 5 - 10 times a day in my games. One of the main reasons I play micless with randoms. I have zero tolerance for snot nosed teenaged brats who can't afford to put gas in my car mouthing off from the comfort of their parents home.

Still in agreement with the majority that OMA sucks. Been forcing myself to use it for the emblem and couldn't be more miserable. For me it does nothing Scav can't do better to compliment my playstyle except when sniping because a single Claymore isn't likely to kill anyone in this game even with Danger Close. I lost count of how many times kids have straight up walked or ran through them without Lightweight with barely a scratch on them. Either the kill radius needs a light boost or they need to explode a hell of a lot quicker.

Yeah its annoying when someone just runs right through your claymore. I also hate last stand. Its not enough to kill them once, you have to kill them twice. Most of the time i die because im not expecting it in hardcore team deathmatch. To me its cheap. I could see if it was 1 last shot for them with a pistol and no 1 second of invincibility while going into last stand, but last stand is ridiculous. The final thing that really grinds my gears is the lag. Maybe its my slow connection, i dont know. But i hate shooting someone right on their body, only for them to return fire and i die. How is it i shoot them first, they shoot back, and i die while they live? Its even been as bad as me shooting someone and they have time to turn around and shoot back. Ive even knifed a guy in the back, he turns around and shoots me dead. WTF? I dont mean to complain, just pointing out the things i hate. Overall i do have fun playing this game.

[quote name='brother bendu']I been playing domination and have not ran into this problem until last night. I never had that problem on CoD4 either, so I can't complain too much.

However the community for MW2 seems to be almost as bad as the one in Halo 3. The only positive thing I can say is that I have not heard the "N" word yet.

As for the maps I do agree they are kinda a bore. While I do like some of them, there are others that are plagued with noobtube/campers in which makes the game more of a chore to play.[/QUOTE]

Consider yourself lucky--both in this game and CoD4.

All the focus people put on the K/D ratio leads to lots of people playing objective games and just camping (or run and gunning) for kills while others are actually trying to capture flags, domination points, headquarters etc.

[quote name='brother bendu']

[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm playing with a friend and we are in the chat room, I never wear the headset and just turn it down so I don't have to hear them. Most players I think are fine but it's the crazy arse few that make it unbearable sometimes.

Couple of quick questions.
How do you tell when some has "prestiged"? Is it just an icon next to their gamertag?
In the AC 130, you can choose between two guns, is one better than the other?

Many of the perks people are complaining about don't really bother me as they have a decent pro/con. Except commando, people fly right threw me pumping a shotgun into them and kill me.

I like playing domination in ground war. Wish they would have domination with the larger amount of players as it's own game type.

WARNING to everyone. There is a negative XP hack going around, if you notice after a kill you get -XP and drop to level 1 quit to the dashboard right away.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Couple of quick questions.
How do you tell when some has "prestiged"? Is it just an icon next to their gamertag?
In the AC 130, you can choose between two guns, is one better than the other?

Many of the perks people are complaining about don't really bother me as they have a decent pro/con. Except commando, people fly right threw me pumping a shotgun into them and kill me.

I like playing domination in ground war. Wish they would have domination with the larger amount of players as it's own game type.[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, they have a different symbol next to there name.
2. Three guns actually. Cycle through them all continually firing for best results.

[quote name='life.exe']

1. Yes, they have a different symbol next to there name.
[/QUOTE]

So do they select it or is it automatically there on any who prestiged? What does it look like?

[quote name='life.exe']WARNING to everyone. There is a negative XP hack going around, if you notice after a kill you get -XP and drop to level 1 quit to the dashboard right away.
[/QUOTE]

Wow is this permanent if it happens?

Occasionally when the matchmaking search would select a hacked match I would play it. Now I'm going to be incredibly careful.

Well... I finally found an entertaining use for OMA on S&D because on some maps the bomb spawns are close enough to visit both unscathed. Danger Close C4 thrown inside equals absolute hilarity.

Yeah supposedly a few people got screwed by the negative XP mod and are back to level one. Not a situation I'd want to be in at level 3 or 4 prestige or even higher. Hopefully IW has it fixed shortly.

I think the XP glitch is on the PC version only, unless someone knows otherwise.

A beta would have helped with things like tweaking spawns, but a lot of this stuff wouldn't have been found even with a beta. The level cap would have been in the twenties, so we wouldn't have seen the 1887s. This XP glitch took two months to pop up, we wouldn't have seen this either.

I will say this though, IW stated that the later months all went in to polishing and testing with internal betas, so they definitely have the wrong people doing that.

Speaking of tweaking spawn points I'd love to smack whoever thought the lack of any spawn protection outside of Painkiller wouldn't be an issue.

[quote name='LordKefka06']You should only start with 1 noobtube and only be able to OMA switch once per life.[/QUOTE]

I never played COD4 so I don't know what it was like there, but they definitely let things like knifing and noob tubes be way too powerful in MW2. Knifing should not be a one shot kill unless you have Commando as a perk and there should be no range bonus. After you factor in lag, it is just way too powerful to be able to insta-kill virtually anyone without even pulling our your gun when you turn a corner and see someone within 10 yards.

While I'm griping, I wish they would have included challenges for all gun mods instead of just some. Even if you don't unlock anything for getting kills with the Thermal Scope, why not a challenge for it like there is with everything else? And why the fuck are some of the challenges so out of whack? 15 silencer kills takes one or two games but 40 FMJ kills could take forty games. I want to know who balanced the challenges and didn't see an issue with this.

Ok. Done whining.

I'm sure this is old news to many of you but apparently there's a glitch on Karachi (the spawn area behind the infamous rooftop) where kids can glitch into the damn sky. There's no kill switch for it so some of the assholes on my team are wasting rounds trying to do it. What's worse is now they are bitching at me for basically carrying the team because all of the sudden they want to play.

Ugh.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Claymores can't kill people while they're in a knifing lunge. It only gives a hit marker.[/QUOTE]

I can't tell you how many times recently I've watched myself die in a killcam while people ran directly over my claymore and didn't die. I'm always flabbergasted as to how it happens.

You know in World at War when i prestiged it was like night and day. Before prestige i would do great, after i would suck bad. But in CODMW2 im finding out that im actually doing really good after prestige. Since i dont have cold blooded, i run around a lot more. I also have been using care packages again, which help me get kills. Last couple games ive ended up with 20+ kills.

As for the maps, i hated a lot of them in the begining, but im really liking some of them now. Scrapyard is one that i really have grown to like. Mainly because people cant really camp in this level. I also like Afghan, Favela, Highrise, Karachi, Quarry, Rundown, Skidrow, and Sub Base. Dont really like Wasteland, Underpass, Estate, Derail. Terminal and Invasion i dont love or hate really. Quarry was another map i really hated in the beginning, but now i look forward to playing on it.

Well thats why I haven't spent my MS points yet. Between map packs for MW2 and Perfect Dark remake. Maps are a must right now for this game considering I've already put 4+ days into this game playing the same maps over and over again.

[quote name='The 7th Number']...The final thing that really grinds my gears is the lag. Maybe its my slow connection, i dont know. But i hate shooting someone right on their body, only for them to return fire and i die. How is it i shoot them first, they shoot back, and i die while they live? Its even been as bad as me shooting someone and they have time to turn around and shoot back....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that exact thing happens to me. The other thing that happens is I'll take a few hits but have time to duck behind cover. Then, I'll drop dead, even though I was behind cover. In the killcam, it shows me dying before I made it behind cover, even though on my screen I had made it there.

[quote name='Trakan']
Two new map packs coming. One is a classic map pack with Shipment, Crash, Overgrown, and Vacant. The other one has 6 new maps.
[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for a classic map pack, but I wish it were Pipeline and Strike, Backlot, Crossfire, or District instead of Shipment and Vacant.

I wonder if the map pack with six maps will be 1200 points instead of the usual 800 points.

I would have preferred Crash, Ambush, Backlot, and Crossfire. Followed by classic map pack 2 containing Strike, Vacant, District, Bog and classic 3 containing Overgrown, Showdown, Downpour, and Countdown. I can personally live without Bloc or Shipment ever coming back and the only 2 that are somewhat debatable are Pipeline and Wetwork since I think Wetwork wouldn't be too bad without 3x frag. However, my reason for disliking many of the maps on MW2 is the camping and Bloc/Pipeline are 2 of the worst for that because of the buildings (Pipeline is like Estate where everyone tries to camp the roof instead of the house and need I explain Bloc?). Any of the other maps were fine for using any weapon and perk setup basically IMO and that is one thing I really enjoy doing is switching up weapons and using them all.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I'm sure this is old news to many of you but apparently there's a glitch on Karachi (the spawn area behind the infamous rooftop) where kids can glitch into the damn sky. There's no kill switch for it so some of the assholes on my team are wasting rounds trying to do it. What's worse is now they are bitching at me for basically carrying the team because all of the sudden they want to play.

Ugh.[/QUOTE]

That's old, its the one that will get you Marathon and Lightweight Pro in 5 minutes.

Woah, I finally looked at my kills stats and its frozen. Apperently i have 8700 kills and 9000 deaths, that was over one prestige and 30 levels ago. It also says that my highest streak is 11. Wtf?

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not looking forward to Danger Close hi-jinks on the new Shipment map. Crash and Overgrown should be fun though.

Danger Close was in COD4 as Sonic Boom. I don't think you're going to have enough time to One Man Army on that map either. You'll be dead before too long doing that.

AC130s on that map will be nuts though.

I definitely wasn't worried about OMAs though C4 could be fun if you're particularly skilled/lucky. I don't even want to think about any sort of air support on that map but I'm excited at the prospect of playing HQ on it again. Now where is our Pipeline, Backlot, Strike, Crossfire and District remakes?

Damn, no bloc.

I was hoping to be hauling ass all throughout the buildings with marathon + light weight, or setup up some claymore death-trap rooms.

Bloc would also be great for some CTF action.

[quote name='Trakan']HOLY SHIT!!!!! fuck YEAH!!!!

Two new map packs coming. One is a classic map pack with Shipment, Crash, Overgrown, and Vacant. The other one has 6 new maps.
[/QUOTE]
sadly i didn't play much of mw so i really dont know the maps. Are those pretty much the best of the bunch they are bringing over?

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I'm sure this is old news to many of you but apparently there's a glitch on Karachi (the spawn area behind the infamous rooftop) where kids can glitch into the damn sky.[/QUOTE]
The Karachi elevator is used to get out of map. Once out of map you can fall beneath it to easily get marathon and lightweight perks finished in 7-10minutes. Its stupid when you see multiple people on your team back there trying to get out of map.

[quote name='Trakan']HOLY SHIT!!!!! fuck YEAH!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Shipment ... Meh, never played this since i dont play free for all.
Crash ... This is a good one that i like.
Overgrown ... One of my favorites from COD4
Vacant ... This map is fun too because its run and gun style.

Personally would have loved to see Backlot, Crossfire, Pipeline, or Strike instead of Shipment and Vacant. But oh well.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Yeah, that exact thing happens to me. The other thing that happens is I'll take a few hits but have time to duck behind cover. Then, I'll drop dead, even though I was behind cover. In the killcam, it shows me dying before I made it behind cover, even though on my screen I had made it there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same thing happens to me. I go behind a wall and bam i died.

MORE GLITCH FIXES per Bowling(IW)

We’ve updated the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, including the following fixes: - Care Package, Emergency Airdrop, and Sentry Gun marker grenades sprint speed normalized:

- Sentry Guns: Improved placement detection, preventing cases of Sentry Guns inside geometry.
- Model 1887: Bling using Akimbo and FMJ combination now has same range and damage as non-Bling Model 1887s.
- Improved player collision removing cases of getting into geometry and ‘elevators’.
- Mouse latency tweaks for more mouse movement consistency. (PC-ONLY)
- Fixes to prevent various texture (PC-ONLY) and XP hacks, including the prevention of obtaining negative XP.

These fixes, excluding the ones I’ve labeled as (PC-ONLY), are currently in test for the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions as well. Before you ask why there is a delay from PC to consoles,
it’s because we can update IW-NET directly and therefore the fastest. The console versions require additional testing through their respective manufacturers.

bread's done
Back