CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

[quote name='The 7th Number']Shipment ... Meh, never played this since i dont play free for all.[/QUOTE]

It was in HQ, Domination, and Team Tactical too. The map is like Christmas morning.

[quote name='Trakan']It was in HQ, Domination, and Team Tactical too. The map is like Christmas morning.[/QUOTE]

Yuck, I remember HQ on Shipment. Map was too small for that. You could throw a nade from anywhere on the map to the HQ spot. Lots of nade spamming there.

[quote name='Trakan']Danger Close was in COD4 as Sonic Boom. I don't think you're going to have enough time to One Man Army on that map either. You'll be dead before too long doing that.

AC130s on that map will be nuts though.[/QUOTE]

Sonic Boom didn't seem even close to as strong as Danger Close is. I do agree that OMA will be rather pointless though. Just use Scavenger or Sleight of Hand for it with 2x M203 and Thumper/RPG and it will be insane though.

The AC-130 would kind of suck at the same time on there, you would be killing yourself for sure unless you are in one of the side or very middle containers that have only 1 opening and even then you could potentially kill yourself.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']The other thing that happens is I'll take a few hits but have time to duck behind cover. Then, I'll drop dead, even though I was behind cover. In the killcam, it shows me dying before I made it behind cover, even though on my screen I had made it there.[/QUOTE]

Same crap happens to me ALOT. The other thing that REALLY pisses me off is when I'm laying prone sniping and the kill cam shows me standing straight up looking like an idiot. Mind you it is not that I just laid down but had been laying down for a while already. Regardless, this is the same exact crap from COD4 that I really didn't see in W@W.

Also, IW is fucking lame if in fact the COD4 maps are straight ports AND they charge for them.

While expected, the new map pack is BULLSHIT.
This map pack was talked about even before release. (source: Monster contest)

Infinity Ward knowingly released an unfinished game. New map pack planned for spring 10, while at the same time $60 game release in Fall 09.

How much work would this (I assume confirmed) classic map pack cost? How much work does it take to port maps from CoD4 (engine: IW) to MW2? (engine: IW 4.0)

Upon release, when I found there was no CoD4 maps, I thought it would be cool if they let us put in CoD4 and import the maps. It would take almost no work to put the CoD4 maps in MW2. Then I realized IW likes money.

This map pack should be free.

This map pack is not free.

Activision-Infinity Ward are assholes.

[quote name='Doomed']This map pack should be free.

This map pack is not free.[/QUOTE]

Do we have any confirmation that the classic map pack won't be free?

[quote name='BingoBrown']Do we have any confirmation that the classic map pack won't be free?[/QUOTE]

If that map pack is free, I will play an entire MW2 match while wearing a dress and lipstick with a spoon up my ass... and I will take pictures.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']If that map pack is free, I will play an entire MW2 match while wearing a dress and lipstick with a spoon up my ass... and I will take pictures.[/QUOTE]

Well, the Flashback Map Pack for Gears of War 2 was free, at least with the purchase of a new copy. The same concept here, probably with less updating of the maps by Infinity Ward. I'm not saying the classic map pack will be free, but I sure hope it will be. At the very worst, it had better not be any more than 400 points.

[quote name='Doomed']While expected, the new map pack is BULLSHIT.

Infinity Ward knowingly released an unfinished game. New map pack planned for spring 10, while at the same time $60 game release in Fall 09.
[/QUOTE]

DLC is a tradeoff. You will get some devs holding out content they could have put in at launch to sell later to make more money. Especially with development costs being so high on the HD consoles.

But, on the other hand, at least there's the ability to buy map packs, expansions etc. and keep a game going--which wasn't something we had on consoles in the past. And I do like that more than just having to wait for the sequel to get more gameplay out of a game I'm loving.

That said, it doesn't seem like MW2, or most other FPS games this generation, are launching with fewer maps than games did last gen. So I don't really feel like we're getting cheated out of maps at launch to have them sold to us later.

If games start launching with half as many maps as the typical FPS has today, and then have map packs in a few months I'd agree it's bullshit. But as long as we're getting a fairly standard number of maps at launch, I welcome the chance to buy more to keep the experience fresh. We'd all prefer map packs be free of course, but that's just not going to happen on any large scale.

I suppose they could do like Gears and Halo and some other games and make map packs free after 6 months to a year etc., so the more casual players who don't need them day 1 can pick them up after sales have died off.

Sick as hell of all these people finding ways outside the map in the radiation areas and way up in the sky like on Derailed. If they do it on a normal death match I can at least get an idea where they are but in Hard Core they just rape their way to nukes. Hope they fix it soon.

Not glad Shipment is returning, what a spam fest used by kids to prestige fast. Although it's overshadowed by Overgrown and Crash (Vacant isn't horrible, but the aerial killstreaks will probably be useless since the helicopter in the first was useless). CoD:MW2 had 16 launch maps just like CoD4:MW so they aren't ripping players. Note: CoD:WaW had 13 and not all were compatible with all gametypes. ;)

How much work would this (I assume confirmed) classic map pack cost? How much work does it take to port maps from CoD4 (engine: IW) to MW2? (engine: IW 4.0)

Upon release, when I found there was no CoD4 maps, I thought it would be cool if they let us put in CoD4 and import the maps. It would take almost no work to put the CoD4 maps in MW2. Then I realized IW likes money.

Activision-Infinity Ward are assholes.[/QUOTE]

1) Saying that it is bullshit because they announced that they would have a map pack and saying they released an unfinished game (due to this argument) is just stupid. Every big company says that there will be DLC after release prior to release. It isn't because they have stuff that they didn't add in. Fourzerotwo said a couple weeks after release that they were going to have multiple map packs, but had nothing worked on yet. This is because they wait to see feedback from players as to what is good and what isn't.

It is the same with sports... A team will start selling Game 7 Championship tickets before they even make the Championship series... So when that happens, do you say they are greedy? No, because they are anticipating success.

If they have a launch day DLC, then I think it is time to worry.

2) I would love them to be free, but I don't think they really have a choice. From what I have heard (not 100% sure), it costs the developer money to have Live and PSN host content. Which of course comes back onto the consumer. Now if they would have implemented something that allowed us to do something similar to Rock Band with the original songs to RB2, then that would have been nice.

3) To say a company is greedy because they are trying to sell services/products/etc... That just makes you sound ignorant. If that is greed, what is capitalism?

Activision-Infinity Ward are assholes.[/QUOTE]

MW2 shipped with 16 maps. Name another MP game that did that. There aren't too many.

2iv0hls.jpg

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Not glad Shipment is returning, what a spam fest used by kids to prestige fast. Although it's overshadowed by Overgrown and Crash (Vacant isn't horrible, but the aerial killstreaks will probably be useless since the helicopter in the first was useless). CoD:MW2 had 16 launch maps just like CoD4:MW so they aren't ripping players. Note: CoD:WaW had 13 and not all were compatible with all gametypes. ;)[/QUOTE]
I didn't buy the first map pack either because of basically the same reasons. Rewarding the fans with an import feature > making money off downloads. (In reality, not true. :))

Activision does this because it will work. Somewhere along the line they decided "we need more money, let's make a map pack." Anyone with a brain could tell you it was planned before release. They should have either
1. Pushed back the release until all planned content is released
2. Release it as free DLC for shipping an unfinished product.

2 is obviously the moral way out, so naturally Activision stays far away from both of those.

edit: Some more clarification. This is the norm nowadays. It is still bullshit. I love Burnout Paradise. Big Surf Island is the only DLC out of all content I see as being fair to charge for. There is clearly some work that went into the $12.50 addon, plus the free addons to go with it show they care at least a little. But Cops and Robbers: Made some new car skins and a new mode? Shouldn't be $10.

[quote name='Trakan']MW2 shipped with 16 maps. Name another MP game that did that. There aren't too many.[/QUOTE]
Halo 3: ODST
(I kid.)

Half-Life or CS prehaps? I haven't played either very much so I don't know.

Interesting Oct. 10, 2009 interview.

http://games.on.net/article/7104/Mo..._Infinity_Ward_talks_Matchmaking_in_Australia

They talk about MW1 maps with MW2, along with other DLC.

I'm also really interested in the:
games.on.net: Bugger. What about the idea of video sharing: in games like Halo 3 it has gone down quite well with the online community, have you considered implementing it in Modern Warfare 2?

TA: Yeah we looked at it... it’s not something we are going to do in the initial release. But it is definitely something we’ve looked at and thought about... we have it in our future to-do pile.

I doubt I'll be using msp to get map packs. I wasted enough on Gears of War 2 so I'll just get games.

I currently trying to finish the fmj challenge for the Tar. It was much easier with the Scar.

The whole OMA thing, I personally use it more to refill C4. I get so many multi kills in Domination it's not funny and no traking me down from kill cam. It even led to my first CG (not from cp) though I only got 2 kills (on Terminal lucky me) :applause:.

For killstreak rewards, I mostly get stick with idiots in Domination (pretty sure in all modes) who don't shoot them down. It only takes 1 Stinger to take down a Harrier and CG (and PL) which most people use.

some smarter players get an AC130 out so then my team's usually screwed since I can't take that down. Also it seems whenever I do call in a harrier, I get a sad amount of kills 2-4 (none from airstrike). I would also like some multi kills with a Predator instead of hitting nothing or 1 kill.

It takes two stingers to take out a CG or a PL since they each have one flare. AC130s have two flares. So it's best to have two people on a team have some AA.

I heard it was possible to take an AC-130 down with 2 Stingers if two players shoot, with a second delay between shots so the 2nd flare never has a chance to block the shot. Not sure, but sounds plausible.

[quote name='menikmati']I heard it was possible to take an AC-130 down with 2 Stingers if two players shoot, with a second delay between shots so the 2nd flare never has a chance to block the shot. Not sure, but sounds plausible.[/QUOTE]

It's true. Rare but I have seen it happen. Harriers have flares as well but their usage is extremely random compared to the rest of them.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I wish most games would have some kind of video recording/sharing feature like Halo 3 has.[/QUOTE]

While I'd like that as well, what I'd REALLY like is an online stat tracking system like Bungie has. That thing is phenomenal, and Infinity Ward doesn't even attempt to try a similar system, which pisses me off. I'd love to see what my score was in individual maps, see what weapons worked for me and where, see heatmaps of the conflict points, etc. Get on it, Infinity Ward! :bomb:

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']I have shot down an AC-130 with a Stinger before. It is certainly possible.[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to get one with one stinger missile? I have shot one down before but a teammate had already shot 2 stingers at it; my second shot took it down. Do you need to get it to use its flares or is it just like a 1 in 4 chance to hit it?

nevermind, here's my answer:
[quote name='menikmati']I heard it was possible to take an AC-130 down with 2 Stingers if two players shoot, with a second delay between shots so the 2nd flare never has a chance to block the shot. Not sure, but sounds plausible.[/QUOTE]

I found my new favorite class.

TAR w/Silencer & FMJ
Bling Pro
Hardline Pro
Ninja Pro

Last night I had about 4 chopper gunners in 6ish maps. Before that I only ever had 2 legit chopper gunners. The only thing I don't like about this spec is no Scavenger. The one thing that saves me here is that the TAR has a good amount of ammo and it packs quite a punch with FMJ on. I'm sure I could take off silencer or FMJ and put on Scavenger, but I feel like I do better with a silencer and FMJ is so helpful for penetration kills and the extra damage I lose by turning Stopping Power off.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Or he saw the harrier's missles trying to shoot down a CG, PL, or AH.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right but I've been in so many laggy/hacked games it is becoming difficult to tell what is and isn't the norm.

[quote name='tcrash247']I found my new favorite class.

TAR w/Silencer & FMJ
Bling Pro
Hardline Pro
Ninja Pro

Last night I had about 4 chopper gunners in 6ish maps. Before that I only ever had 2 legit chopper gunners. The only thing I don't like about this spec is no Scavenger. The one thing that saves me here is that the TAR has a good amount of ammo and it packs quite a punch with FMJ on. I'm sure I could take off silencer or FMJ and put on Scavenger, but I feel like I do better with a silencer and FMJ is so helpful for penetration kills and the extra damage I lose by turning Stopping Power off.[/QUOTE]

This is the class I use for nuke attempts and it is indeed beastly. The lack of Scav is a bitch but I pair heartbeat along with silenced MPs for the first few kills then switch out when needed. I've yet to find a decent AR that works as well with a silencer as the TAR does without SP which helps tremendously as it is my favorite gun in the game. I'm thinking about subbing it in for an M16 later this week to see if I fair better because I'm forcing myself to adjust to its iron sights.

I'm just starting to become discouraged because even after 3 & 1/2 prestige I still can never manage survive past a 4 - 5 killstreak in Ground War and if I don't get a Harrier in TDM before 2 minutes are up then there's usually no point in using the class because of the score limit. There's nothing more irritating than ending a game only 2 - 3 kills away from a nuke.

[quote name='woodcan']Same crap happens to me ALOT. The other thing that REALLY pisses me off is when I'm laying prone sniping and the kill cam shows me standing straight up looking like an idiot. Mind you it is not that I just laid down but had been laying down for a while already. Regardless, this is the same exact crap from COD4 that I really didn't see in W@W.
[/QUOTE]

A couple of things that get my goat are

1) the bullets that kill you after you have gone around a corner or wall. They seem to magically curve and follow.

2) taking cover behind something and barley peeking over or around to see someone, then when you get killed on the kill-cam it shows your entire head or body sticking out.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']Is it possible to get one with one stinger missile? I have shot one down before but a teammate had already shot 2 stingers at it; my second shot took it down. Do you need to get it to use its flares or is it just like a 1 in 4 chance to hit it?[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know if another player had shot at it before I did or not. It's possible it had already been hit and fired at which is why I was able to get through and take it down. I haven't shot at enough AC-130's to know how many missiles it would normally take. I also usually have Stopping Power Pro turned on so I THINK that causes more damage against killstreak vehicles...? Not entirely sure but I think so.

P.S. One of my favorite things to do is to wait for enemy Harriers to get called in and then shoot down the Harrier the very instant it stops over the map and before it gets a chance to even get a single kill. It's a shame more people don't carry around Stingers because I seem to be the only person that ever takes joy in this and does it. Every one of my kits has a launcher as its secondary.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']I also usually have Stopping Power Pro turned on so I THINK that causes more damage against killstreak vehicles...? Not entirely sure but I think so.
[/QUOTE]

your bullets do more damage to killstreaks, stingers/rpgs/javelins don't count towards it. It blows my mind how many people dont have an AA class, i dont carry a stinger around like i did through my first prestige just because the Spas is so deadly indoors. If I die to a harrier/airstrike/chopper i switch to AA which has coldblood to take them out.

Its embarrassing to see teammates dying 4+ times on the same killstreak and never switching classes.

[quote name='naiku']your bullets do more damage to killstreaks, stingers/rpgs/javelins don't count towards it. It blows my mind how many people dont have an AA class, i dont carry a stinger around like i did through my first prestige just because the Spas is so deadly indoors. If I die to a harrier/airstrike/chopper i switch to AA which has coldblood to take them out.

Its embarrassing to see teammates dying 4+ times on the same killstreak and never switching classes.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have a LMG/AA class which is Scavenger/Cold-Blooded/Commando

I have one like that as well that I take to the extreme:

SCAR with Silencer/HBS
Stinger
Bling
Cold-Blooded
Ninja

Invisible to everything unless you actually see me physically on your screen. I tend to break this one out on Derail a lot for some reason... it would probably work well in other cramped levels with lots of twists and turns like Quarry as well.

they've made about a billion dollars already and are soon to release dlc, yet they can't fix the damn game. they should just take time off and work on fixing a bunch of stuff all at once in 1 major update and then proceed with dlc and other things. i'm tired of the knife melee from far away especially when people are hunch back due to the care package glitch plus not to mention all the other various things..

Why do I keep coming back to this game? There are so many things that frustrate me but every night I keep playing. I swore off Treyarch games after WaW but I'll be going back to them when the next CoD comes out.

I dunno whats wrong, but i unlocked the backstabber challenge, and ive stabbed a few people in the back, yet it wont give me the credit for doing it. You only need to do this once to be rewarded. So i dunno what im doing wrong.

Lag sucks bad. Especially during the night. I was playing regular team death match and i swear some rounds i die so fast, you would believe i was playing on hardcore.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']I dunno whats wrong, but i unlocked the backstabber challenge, and ive stabbed a few people in the back, yet it wont give me the credit for doing it. You only need to do this once to be rewarded. So i dunno what im doing wrong.

Lag sucks bad. Especially during the night. I was playing regular team death match and i swear some rounds i die so fast, you would believe i was playing on hardcore.[/QUOTE]

It depends on getting Backstabber because you have to be directly behind someone.

[quote name='naiku']your bullets do more damage to killstreaks, stingers/rpgs/javelins don't count towards it. It blows my mind how many people dont have an AA class, i dont carry a stinger around like i did through my first prestige just because the Spas is so deadly indoors. If I die to a harrier/airstrike/chopper i switch to AA which has coldblood to take them out.

Its embarrassing to see teammates dying 4+ times on the same killstreak and never switching classes.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

bread's done
Back