CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

[quote name='RobMinhas']Any recommendations for an easier method to get Extended mags for M-16, its taking way too long.[/QUOTE]

I need to get my tactical knife on my m9, so you wanna play a cage match together?

[quote name='RobMinhas']Any recommendations for an easier method to get Extended mags for M-16, its taking way too long.[/QUOTE]

Scrapyard... seriously the best map to get FMJ kills on with an assault rifle. I usually jump up about 6-10 FMJ kills a match when I get on that level where I am lucky to get 2-3 on most other maps.

IW really needs to block party chats in Free For All matches. If there is any place that it need to be blocked it is there. I can't play a game without some douchebags boosting. I'm so fed up with this game and it's "improvements".

[quote name='PenguinoMF']IW really needs to block party chats in Free For All matches. If there is any place that it need to be blocked it is there. I can't play a game without some douchebags boosting. I'm so fed up with this game and it's "improvements".[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't deter the boosting as much as not letting friends join in on current matches. Honestly it'd be cool if they just implemented a system that kicked obviously boosting players. Who is able to kill the same person 20 times in 5 minutes legit?

[quote name='BackInBlack']That wouldn't deter the boosting as much as not letting friends join in on current matches. Honestly it'd be cool if they just implemented a system that kicked obviously boosting players. Who is able to kill the same person 20 times in 5 minutes legit?[/QUOTE]

It would be the easiest way to deter boosting because people would have a smaller ability to set up their plans. Of course they could just use a telephone or internet but it would cut down on some of it.

IW can't fix things like 1887's or care package problems/glitches quickly do you really think they would make it so obvious boosters got kicked?

[quote name='PenguinoMF']It would be the easiest way to deter boosting because people would have a smaller ability to set up their plans. Of course they could just use a telephone or internet but it would cut down on some of it.

IW can't fix things like 1887's or care package problems/glitches quickly do you really think they would make it so obvious boosters got kicked?[/QUOTE]

...and yet they let friends join ranked FFA matches together. You also realize you can use private chat in any game mode?

I'm only lv.47 right now but I know I will definitely not Prestige. I enjoy the game but not enough to spend another 24-48 hours trying to get all the weapon attachments and whatnot again.

[quote name='BackInBlack']...and yet they let friends join ranked FFA matches together. You also realize you can use private chat in any game mode?[/QUOTE]

No I didn't realize that. I thought party chat and private chat were the same thing. In that case, block friends from joining FFA matches.

^
yeah im a big fan of private chat. if a friend and i are playing normally private chat is where its at. Unlike party chat, TDM doesn't annoy u with switching to game chat. Then you dont have to mute all the idiots shouting about how shitty they are doing or how horrible the other team is.

I do think the Join in Progress is pretty stupid. I can't think of a situation when its actually useful. I don't see why they find it necessary. When I play with friends we have people added in lobby, then start the game. If someone gets kicked from party and they try to join in progress they aren't guaranteed a spot on your team. Normally we our party just backs out to get the people who got kicked from party....so whats the point of joining in progress?

Yeah, I could use a map pack myself. It's not because I'm bored, it's just I really hate a good chunk of them (Underpass and Quarry come to mind...).

[quote name='PenguinoMF']No I didn't realize that. I thought party chat and private chat were the same thing. In that case, block friends from joining FFA matches.[/QUOTE]
it actually has nothing to do with either party chat or private chat, it has to do with the fact that if you have your chat setting to friends only, than they're the only ones that you hear AND they're the only ones that can hear you. it automatically mutes everyone else both ways...

what are some good maps to unlock extended mags (fmj challenge) for snipers? I only really use them on Wasteland since it's so open and I just travel around the perimeter.

[quote name='naiku']^
I do think the Join in Progress is pretty stupid. I can't think of a situation when its actually useful. I don't see why they find it necessary. When I play with friends we have people added in lobby, then start the game. If someone gets kicked from party and they try to join in progress they aren't guaranteed a spot on your team. Normally we our party just backs out to get the people who got kicked from party....so whats the point of joining in progress?[/QUOTE]

I like it as I can join a match with CAGs on my friend's list that I regularly play with, so they can see I'm on and wanting to play. Then I can play against them awhile until a spot opens up or we decide to switch to ground war etc.

Sure I could just send a message, but really it's better playing against them (and usually getting owned) as they at least aren't glitching or using annoying tactics etc.

[quote name='VxExLxVxExT']it actually has nothing to do with either party chat or private chat, it has to do with the fact that if you have your chat setting to friends only, than they're the only ones that you hear AND they're the only ones that can hear you. it automatically mutes everyone else both ways...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a good feature. I've used it in the past, but don't currently as I always end up playing with some CAGs who aren't on my friend's list. So I just mute annoying people, and if I play with randoms I turn off the volume on the headset and won't wear it.

Well.. I think I'm done with MW2 for now.. got bored at level 70. Instead I played my first PS2 game on PS3 last night, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology. It was fun. :]

I agree with dmaul111 about joining and the non friend chat.

I especially like making fun of friends if I get put on their team then letting them figure out who it is.

hey lets play domination and all be sniper classes and snipe rather than PLAY domination and not just play for kills....wow people get annoying sometimes

[quote name='ggtcracker']hey lets play domination and all be sniper classes and snipe rather than PLAY domination and not just play for kills....wow people get annoying sometimes[/QUOTE]That. Or the, hey lets play MW2 & all play the m16, grenade launcher, & OMA since we suck at the game & need handicap weapons.

What is wrong with my game? I finally got back into MW2 and now, for the last 2 days, I haven't been able to join a single game except for when I was invited. What the hell? My NAT is open.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ggtcracker']hey lets play domination and all be sniper classes and snipe rather than PLAY domination and not just play for kills....wow people get annoying sometimes[/QUOTE]
They should really give a BIG bonus for securing an enemies point. That would have (maybe) brought people out of hiding and sniping.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']what are some good maps to unlock extended mags (fmj challenge) for snipers? I only really use them on Wasteland since it's so open and I just travel around the perimeter.[/QUOTE]

Estate sometimes, Afghan most of the time, Scrapyard if you can get set up well, and Highrise occasionally. Underpass can work pretty well too depending on if they rush or camp.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']They should really give a BIG bonus for securing an enemies point. That would have (maybe) brought people out of hiding and sniping.[/QUOTE]

I think they just need to hide everyones KD. That is the main reason people camp. In Cod2 when playing headquarters people would all go for it, CoD4 introduces stats and people stop going for objectives all of a sudden.

As much as I like knowing my KD, i wish they would take that shit away. Keep w/l, score, accuracy, but not the kills.

Agreed. K/D ratio has had a negative impact on the games. Too many idiots who want to brag about that rather than playing for the wins.

Maybe they could keep it but only calculate it for death match modes.

And not have objective games count toward Kills or K/D ratio, and track stats like objective captured etc. related to winning those games.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed. K/D ratio has had a negative impact on the games. Too many idiots who want to brag about that rather than playing for the wins.

And not have objective games count toward Kills or K/D ratio, and track stats like objective captured etc. related to winning those games.[/QUOTE]

I think the nuke is part of the reason these people go and play Domination, HQ, etc...I enjoyed playing objective games occasionally on COD4/WAW, but I dont even bother on here unless I have at least 2 friends on my team

Yeah, that's part of it too.

The hell of it is, even playing with a party of friends doens't solve the annoyance. Playing with CAGs last night we kept running into people over and over who weren't even trying to capture points in domination in ground war.

Many where even camping points we had control of without trying to capture them so they could spawn kill, kill people coming to check on the point etc. to get their K/D up.

Another amazingly lucky knife throw.
Ok, Through the trees, Off the building, Ricochet off the top of the wall, Nothing but face.......CHECK!
[youtube]wo_78XE8LhU[/youtube]

Man, does anyone here actually like the game? I don't mind the criticism, I just don't normally see it with such a consistent flow on these boards. I definitely am not a hardcore player, I just log on every once in awhile, squeeze in a few rounds and really enjoy myself. I have thought of playing it more often, but perhaps then I would run into more aggravation than it would be worth.

[quote name='Matt Young']What is wrong with my game? I finally got back into MW2 and now, for the last 2 days, I haven't been able to join a single game except for when I was invited. What the hell? My NAT is open.[/QUOTE]

Anybody?

[quote name='Yanksfan']Man, does anyone here actually like the game? [/QUOTE]
I do.

[quote name='Matt Young']Anybody?[/QUOTE]

I have trouble joining all the time. If you are on a network, I suggest turning off anything else that might be using your connection. That seems to help me a little bit.

I never have trouble joining. I tested out other games such as Halo, and the matchmaking went quickly. On MW2, it just keeps going up to 100% while searching for opponents, then it resets over and over again.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Man, does anyone here actually like the game? I don't mind the criticism, I just don't normally see it with such a consistent flow on these boards. I definitely am not a hardcore player, I just log on every once in awhile, squeeze in a few rounds and really enjoy myself. I have thought of playing it more often, but perhaps then I would run into more aggravation than it would be worth.[/QUOTE]

I am like you. I play the game every now and then just to get in a few rounds with friends. I'm probably only level 30 something. I don't get too into it cause I suck at it! :p And another thing, I just enjoy running out rather than camping and I noticed a crapload of people like to just sit in their own spots on the map which bug me and never really move. It's a pretty good game I just don't enjoy MP as much.

Some of the objective games i hate. I tried to play the one where you set the bomb, or disarm it. But everyone just noobtubes the hell out of the area. Its just not fun at all.

Im getting bored with this game though. I prestiged once, and im at level 52. I want to get to 70 again and prestige, but i am just so bored with the game right now.

[quote name='ggtcracker']hey lets play domination and all be sniper classes and snipe rather than PLAY domination and not just play for kills....wow people get annoying sometimes[/QUOTE]

I had 2 assholes do this yesterday on S&D. We were playing on Highrise and I had the bomb. I went to plant it but saw my "teammate" in the elevators with an "enemy" in there with him. So I stopped to kill the enemy but got TK'd in the process. Then my "teammate" took the bomb, planted it, and then let the "enemy" defuse it.

Needless to say they both got a complaint filed against them and a ding on their reps as well.

So if you see anyone with a clan tag of "WTIE", stay away, they seem to be boosters.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']what are some good maps to unlock extended mags (fmj challenge) for snipers? I only really use them on Wasteland since it's so open and I just travel around the perimeter.[/QUOTE]
Keep in mind that shots through glass count for FMJ kills. Even shots through those pieces of glass that stay behind on the window frame after your break the glass. Regardless you can typically get at least 2 kills per window if they are 1-shot kills. Sometimes it's useful to use Bling with FMJ and Thermal to help with the obscured view through a cracked window.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed. K/D ratio has had a negative impact on the games. Too many idiots who want to brag about that rather than playing for the wins.

And not have objective games count toward Kills or K/D ratio, and track stats like objective captured etc. related to winning those games.[/QUOTE]

This is again where Tryearch had the forethought that IW did not. In WaW they had separate stats filters for each game mode along with the global stats. They also had the ability to show/check stats of all players in a pregame lobby. People can rag on Treyarch all they want but they added a lot of smart and useful features to WaW that IW is too prideful or stupid to add to their game.

[quote name='woodcan']People can rag on Treyarch all they want but they added a lot of smart and useful features to WaW that IW is too prideful or stupid to add to their game.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the hate for Treyarch and the overabundant love for IW. Treyarch made one bad game (CoD3) and IW made one good game (CoD4:MW). Don't get me wrong, I like MW2 a lot, but I don't see it as much of an improvement over MW. Everyone ragged on Halo 3 for being Halo 2.5, but no one talks about MW2 being MW1.5, which is a pretty accurate description. Not to mention all the glitches and problems with MW2.

Sales numbers may say otherwise, but I think IW has a long way to go before it can be placed in the upper echelon of game developers.

Glitches and bugs are not enough to warrant calling it MW1.5.

The addition of spec ops and improvements to the multi-player alone are enough to warrant it being called great and deserving of its great reviews. There are customizable killstreaks. You can carry multiple different secondaries now. This game shipped with as many maps as MW and already has more planned DLC.

Treyarch may have added a good feature or two, but ultimately it's nothing gamebreaking. Would a locale search be nice for some people? Sure, but most people don't need it. I don't see how breaking up the stats adds anything.

Again, there is no excuse for bugs or glitches, but MW1.5 is far from an accurate description.

[quote name='Trakan']
The addition of spec ops and improvements to the multi-player alone are enough to warrant it being called great and deserving of its great reviews. There are customizable killstreaks. You can carry multiple different secondaries now. This game shipped with as many maps as MW and already has more planned DLC.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll give you Spec Ops, but I was more focused on the multi-player portion. And, personally, I think the single-player campaign was enough of a step back from MW to MW2 that Spec Ops makes it a wash.

Now, what "improvements" to the multi-player are enough to consider it a bonafide sequel and not an update to the existing MW multi-player framework? Sure, there are more killstreaks, and they're now customizable, but is that enough? Okay, shotguns are now secondary weapons, so they are actually used by some people. Is that enough? Sure, it has a lot of maps, but is that enough to consider it an actual sequel?

Listen, I'm not hating on the game. I like it, it's good, I play it often. But to have heard so many people talk about Halo 3 as Halo 2.5, and yet not hearing anyone leveling that same complaint against MW2, I'm just surprised. I think there was room for IW to make a bigger advancement in the series with regard to multi-player, and I don't think they took it there. Maybe they will for MW3, but I don't think it happened in MW2.

[quote name='BingoBrown']
Now, what "improvements" to the multi-player are enough to consider it a bonafide sequel and not an update to the existing MW multi-player framework? Sure, there are more killstreaks, and they're now customizable, but is that enough? Okay, shotguns are now secondary weapons, so they are actually used by some people. Is that enough? Sure, it has a lot of maps, but is that enough to consider it an actual sequel?

Listen, I'm not hating on the game. I like it, it's good, I play it often. But to have heard so many people talk about Halo 3 as Halo 2.5, and yet not hearing anyone leveling that same complaint against MW2, I'm just surprised. I think there was room for IW to make a bigger advancement in the series with regard to multi-player, and I don't think they took it there. Maybe they will for MW3, but I don't think it happened in MW2.[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you suggest they do?

Killstreak customization is probably bigger than anything any other developer has done between sequels involving actual gameplay. The only thing that Bungie did was add the theater. Also, IW added and tweaked all kinds of stuff in regards to attachments and guns. Titles, emblems, final kill, etc. I think you are forgetting a lot of stuff that wasn't present before.

I don't know of any other sequel in any other genre that has really changed that much between editions. Forza 3? No. Halo 3? No. Sports games? I would say out of all major sports game the only massive addition in the past 10 years was Be A Pro in EA's NHL games.

It's plenty.

There were epic moments in both campaigns. Personally, I can't put one over the other.

Yes, I consider the improvements I listed enough to call it a sequel. How about silencers on pretty much any gun now? Thermal scopes? Akimbo weapons? Multiple attachments on guns?

I don't see any reason to complain.

I'm always surprised when people say that the campaign of MW1 is better than that of MW2. I really liked the MW1 campaign, but I thought the MW2 campaign was so fucking epic. It's probably my favorite campaign in any FPS game.

I felt like I was playing a bad-ass war movie the whole entire time. and the ending was BADASS.

mw2 is nowhere near epic or even great period. not the campaign single player, spec op nor online multiplayer. cod 4 set high standards for games and changed online shooters and now everyone expects something as good or better but no luck yet..

Yeah, they changed plenty in the multiplayer IMO. I mean it's a sequel. CoD4 was great, I didn't want them to change much. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Customizable kill streaks are nice, the death streak options are a nice touch as well. And I like that they added many more ways to get XP (shooting down air support, head shots etc.). Though I wish they hadn't off set it by raising the amount of XP to level up so much which kind of offsets the benefit of getting XP more ways.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, they changed plenty in the multiplayer IMO. I mean it's a sequel. CoD4 was great, I didn't want them to change much. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Customizable kill streaks are nice, the death streak options are a nice touch as well. And I like that they added many more ways to get XP (shooting down air support, head shots etc.). Though I wish they hadn't off set it by raising the amount of XP to level up so much which kind of offsets the benefit of getting XP more ways.[/QUOTE]

They raised the level cap required before prestiging, but it is hard to say if it actually is more difficult or less difficult now to get there.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']They raised the level cap required before prestiging, but it is hard to say if it actually is more difficult or less difficult now to get there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It seems to be taking me longer to level up than in CoD4. But of course I suck, so I'm not getting as much of the extra XP to offset having more levels and more XP required between levels.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Customizable kill streaks are nice, the death streak options are a nice touch as well. And I like that they added many more ways to get XP (shooting down air support, head shots etc.). Though I wish they hadn't off set it by raising the amount of XP to level up so much which kind of offsets the benefit of getting XP more ways.[/QUOTE]

Okay, those are all nice, but aren't they all simple little additions to what we had with MW? I don't know what I wanted in a sequel, but I wanted more. Maybe a theatre system or stat-tracking website like what Bungie offers would have been enough of an addition. But even that would have felt like IW was borrowing the ideas from another studio, and although they would have been nice additions, it wouldn't have been anything ground-breaking.

Do you all remember the feeling of playing MW multi-player for the first time? The new feeling of the leveling system with perk unlocks, weapon unlocks, attachment unlocks, and the like? That was a new, fresh system, and it was awesome. MW2 builds on that system, but it didn't add any extra wrinkle to the gameplay.

Listen, I don't know what I wanted from MW2, other than to say I wanted something more. If I knew what I wanted, I'd get paid the big bucks to design these things, but I don't. I'm not creative enough to come up with something like MW's leveling system, but the guys at IW were. Unfortunately, MW2 just feels like they rested on their laurels and didn't want to venture into any uncharted territory. To me, all the added features were only minor tweaks to the system. Yeah, it was a great system to start with, but if we're going to annoint IW as this amazing game developer, they need to bring more to a sequel than minor tweaks.

You just aren't going to get that new feeling with a sequel very often, if ever. It takes a new IP most of the time. Developers don't want to tweak a successful series to much as then they risk alienating the die hard fans who just want more of the same with some tweaks. With a new IP they're free to do what they want.

MW1 was a sequel technically. But buying going to modern war they were really starting a new franchise and using the CoD name for marketing.

All I wanted personally in the sequel was more MW with some new features and new maps personally. So I've not been dissappointed.

Probably one of the worst ideas any game company could have would be to take something not broken and modify its fundamentals and core. The whole idea of a sequel to a great game is to refine and add, not to create drastic changes. If you really feel that a lengthy amount of single player, co-op and multiplayer in a single package isn't worth your money then I really have to wonder what you think would be.

Just my opinion at least :) It is easier for me to see the value in MW2 as I never played MW1 and thus the new game is fresh and fantastic to my eyes.

[quote name='Trakan']Treyarch may have added a good feature or two, but ultimately it's nothing gamebreaking. Would a locale search be nice for some people? Sure, but most people don't need it. I don't see how breaking up the stats adds anything.

Again, there is no excuse for bugs or glitches, but MW1.5 is far from an accurate description.[/QUOTE]

I agree this is no MW1.5 but I have to say that IW left out some notable advancements present in WaW.

1. Search by locale --- I don't know how many times I've been put into a laggy foreign hosted match in MW2
  2. Back out with party --- don't even get me started about what a pain this can be with large numbers of people on your friends list playing MW2 coming and going at different times. This especially with some of the annoying loud children on XBL
  3. Lobby leaderboards --- you can see what you're going up against since Prestige/Rank means little plus you can call out all those crap-talking morons on their stats (even those artificially good due to boosting)
  4. Stats by game type --- along with Lobby Leaderboards you can use it to strategize, plus it's nice to know and as others have mentioned, it may cut down at least a little on campers
  5. Online stats --- you can use heat-maps to strategize, review your weapon/equipment use, revisit results from past games, track your XP/KD/etc over time, compare detailed stats with friends, etc.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Do you all remember the feeling of playing MW multi-player for the first time? The new feeling of the leveling system with perk unlocks, weapon unlocks, attachment unlocks, and the like? That was a new, fresh system, and it was awesome. MW2 builds on that system, but it didn't add any extra wrinkle to the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I don't know but I got the COD4 MP excitement with MW2 MP if not more. I think they made a lot of good decisions with moving perks around in addition to what's already been mentioned about weapon attachments and secondary weapons along with adding a more realistic vertical perspective to the maps. Granted they are far from perfect given all of the bugs and lack of features already present in a previous COD game. For me, completing challenges to unlock titles and emblems is a big draw and very smart move on IW's part. Also, I think it's great that they added all the bonus XP modifiers because who doesn't like seeing all that XP flying up in the middle of your screen?

bread's done
Back