CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']This reminds me of a company just seeing how high the ceiling can go.

It just seems crazy to me that a company doesn't understand that they can sell much more by charging less.

1,000,000 buys at $15.00 < 2,500,000 buys at $10.00

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that there would be such a big discrepancy between a $10 price and a $15 price.

In the long run, they'll make more money by charging $15 for the map packs. Most people will eventually crack and buy it.

And heck, a year after it comes out, they'll put it on sale for $10 to get all the stubborn people who refuse to buy it at $15.

Damnit. I guess I won't be downloading thos Lady GaGa track this week like I was hoping. Or just get two of the songs. Damnit.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I remember that EA's reaction was to sign an exclusivity deal with the NFL, thereby cutting off any competition. That was BS.

By the way, on virtually every gaming site I browse (Gamespot, 1UP, G4, Kotaku), Activision is getting murdered by the gaming public over the pricing on this map pack. They'd better get things in control quick, especially after the negative PR they got with the Infinity Ward firings.[/QUOTE]

Don't overestimate the number of people who read or contribute in internet gaming forums. There are plenty but the truth is that 95% of gamers don't and most of the sales will come from the ones who are less opinionated and just want some more maps.

Activision will still make a fuckload despite the pricing.

P.S. Firefox is telling me that "fuckload" needs to spellchecked. The top suggestion is "truckload".

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Don't overestimate the number of people who read or contribute in internet gaming forums. There are plenty but the truth is that 95% of gamers don't and most of the sales will come from the ones who are less opinionated and just want some more maps.

Activision will still make a fuckload despite the pricing.[/QUOTE]

Certainly, there are a lot more gamers who are less in tune with the industry than those who visit the gaming sites I mentioned. However, also remember that those who do visit such sites are considered the "hardcore" gamers. The same people that plunk down an extra $20 or $30 for Collector's Editions, and blow a good portion of their expendable budget on video games. If those people are pissed about the MW2 map pack pricing, I'd imagine that the average gamer might even be more pissed at paying $15.

I don't doubt that Activision will sell a lot of these, and thus make a lot of money, but I think the number of people passing on this DLC will be much higher than you think. This isn't just an issue for Cheap Ass Gamers.

Interesting little bit from Major's podcast: There were 25 million unique players playing mw2 on xbl this week. Dunno how many of those were for multiplayer but now the $15 price point makes a lot more sense.

[quote name='CBolts']Interesting little bit from Major's podcast: There were 25 million unique players playing mw2 on xbl this week. Dunno how many of those were for multiplayer but now the $15 price point makes a lot more sense.[/QUOTE]

You misunderstood them. MW 2 has now registered 25 million unique users across all platforms. That's 360, PS3, and PC and that's people playing single player only, spec ops, and multiplayer. 402 wouldn't give an exact number, but did say a significant majority of that 25 million are playing the game on Live.

Yeah, I'll pass Activision. $15.00 for a map pack is ridiculous.

The apologists at the Infinity Ward forums are hysterical, "DAHH I WOULD BUY IT FOR $30.00!" "YOU GUYS ARE ALL KIDS, $15.00 IS A BARGAIN!"

[quote name='BingoBrown']Certainly, there are a lot more gamers who are less in tune with the industry than those who visit the gaming sites I mentioned. However, also remember that those who do visit such sites are considered the "hardcore" gamers. The same people that plunk down an extra $20 or $30 for Collector's Editions, and blow a good portion of their expendable budget on video games. If those people are pissed about the MW2 map pack pricing, I'd imagine that the average gamer might even be more pissed at paying $15.

I don't doubt that Activision will sell a lot of these, and thus make a lot of money, but I think the number of people passing on this DLC will be much higher than you think. This isn't just an issue for Cheap Ass Gamers.[/QUOTE]

The fact that the hardcore spend more per capita is a moot point. Fact of the matter is an extremely large percent of people, not gonna say 95% though, do not know the difference between treyarch and infinity ward. All they know is Call of Duty and the same people that buy this map pack are the same people that are going to be buying the plethora of Call of Duty titles released over the next 2 years before the market is saturated and the name "Call of Duty", which currently is for FPS games what Final Fantasy is for RPGs, will join the ranks of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero as soulless whored out franchises that are currently doing nothing but going through the motions in these genres that have become stagnant.

It was nice knowing you Call of Duty. Hey, Battle Field! What's up!?

[quote name='MSUHitman']You misunderstood them. MW 2 has now registered 25 million unique users across all platforms. That's 360, PS3, and PC and that's people playing single player only, spec ops, and multiplayer. 402 wouldn't give an exact number, but did say a significant majority of that 25 million are playing the game on Live.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, well Major's direct words at 59:25 : "But apparently MW2 had 25 million unique users on xbox live this week."
Seems high but just going by what Major mentioned.

edit: Ahh yes, saw the 25 mil article with 402. Guess Major misspoke.

[quote name='yukine']
The apologists at the Infinity Ward forums are hysterical, "DAHH I WOULD BUY IT FOR $30.00!" "YOU GUYS ARE ALL KIDS, $15.00 IS A BARGAIN!"[/QUOTE]

Some real idiots over there. My favorite quote:

I just can`t see how someone with a job could argue about 15$...FIFTEEN DOLLARS ;)

Clearly a man who does not have a 401(k), has never heard of a Roth IRA, and probably eats Kraft Macaroni & Cheese for dinner every night.

What really gets me is the fact that some people don't really care about getting value for their dollar. Of course, these are also probably the same people who run out on release day and buy video games full price. I can buy the MW2 map pack, I've got the money. That's not the issue. The issue is that I want to get value for my money, and I don't see myself getting much value for my $15.

I never prestiged in COD4 but I'm thinking about doing it for MW2. What does it reset? I'd hate to start over on some of the challenges.

[quote name='Kevlar281']I never prestiged in COD4 but I'm thinking about doing it for MW2. What does it reset? I'd hate to start over on some of the challenges.[/QUOTE]

everything resets except for titles and emblems.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So did anyone here score the maps from the Monster promo last year?[/QUOTE]

I did, they're supposed to email me a code for them

I agree with some of the others, $15 is too much for just the maps. Activision is just trying to cushion their pockets because they know people will still buy the pack even if they complain while doing it. Gamers as a whole as quite stupid, and I am 1000000% sure that they will still do MASSIVE sales despite everyone saying they won't buy it.

When you are hearing "I'm not paying that much!" they actually mean "I don't want to pay that much, but will". At least, thats what I think, we will see if the packs do 90 sells for real.

Plus, we don't know if the map pack will have JUST the maps. The details on the map pack are as a whole nearly non-existant. No photos or videos of the maps aside from the leaked ones.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I agree with some of the others, $15 is too much for just the maps. Activision is just trying to cushion their pockets because they know people will still buy the pack even if they complain while doing it. Gamers as a whole as quite stupid, and I am 1000000% sure that they will still do MASSIVE sales despite everyone saying they won't buy it.

When you are hearing "I'm not paying that much!" they actually mean "I don't want to pay that much, but will". At least, thats what I think, we will see if the packs do 90 sells for real.

Plus, we don't know if the map pack will have JUST the maps. The details on the map pack are as a whole nearly non-existant. No photos or videos of the maps aside from the leaked ones.[/QUOTE]

402 mentioned maps and a playlist update on Major Nelson's podcast. I think if there were more he would have mentioned it.

The xbox.com forums are getting tons of threads started by people protesting the price. That gives me a little hope. Unfortunately there are also people saying stuff like:

ROFL GeT off YouR fucking aSS and get a JoB n00b... ROFL

So we're probably fucked

...Pathetic. Anyone with a fully functional brain could recognize a horrible deal presented to them on paper when they see it. We honestly are f*cked because Activision has no reason to lower the price with this many idiots frothing at the mouth in anticipation thus the nickle 'n dime saga continues. I'll gladly wait this entire fiasco out eventually jumping ship to Battlefield and MoH when the game starts shifting to pay-to-play territory.

Until then I'll bleed what little enjoyment is left out of the game until I reach 10th Prestige then shelve it for a long time.

LobsterJohnson (a fellow CAG) and I are hopping onto MW2 360 right now (11:47 PM EST) if anyone wants to play some Team Deathmatch. Just request me and I'll throw you an invite.

I still might buy the maps. Depending on how the matchmaking is done. 15 is a little high, but at the end of the day it all comes down to how much time you will spend playing on these maps. If you play a lot, then its probably worth it since the regular maps are getting a little stale. If you play only occasionally i then you probably should pass.

I dont mind paying the 15 dollars. Hell i have about 8 days played in this game. What really gets my panties in a bunch is i have to buy 1600 points in order to download this Map Pack. So for me it really 20 bucks not $15.

[quote name='thamaster24']The xbox.com forums are getting tons of threads started by people protesting the price. That gives me a little hope. Unfortunately there are also people saying stuff like:

ROFL GeT off YouR fucking aSS and get a JoB n00b... ROFL

So we're probably fucked[/QUOTE]

Guaranteed those quotes are from kids in the age range of 15-17.

[quote name='FISTINFACE']I dont mind paying the 15 dollars. Hell i have about 8 days played in this game. What really gets my panties in a bunch is i have to buy 1600 points in order to download this Map Pack. So for me it really 20 bucks not $15.[/QUOTE]

+1 for everything, except im sitting at near 10days played.
The price sucks, there is no way anyone should defend it. For those who are pretty much JUST playing mw2 its good to have new maps. At nearly 3$ a crack its an awful price & better not become the norm....which it probably will. :(

I'll be voting with my wallet and not buying at the posted price. I waited until MW2 hit $40.00 before buying so I can't justify $15.00 for this map pack.

I'll probably pick it up I've got 14 days logged and if the new maps add another 5 or so days of playing. It's like $3 for 24 hours. Price is pretty steep but I definitely get my money's worth out of it compared to other things (i.e. $10 to see a 2 hour movie)

[quote name='BL00DW0LF']I did, they're supposed to email me a code for them[/QUOTE]

Are you supposed to get early access or just a code at release?

[quote name='FISTINFACE']I dont mind paying the 15 dollars. Hell i have about 8 days played in this game. What really gets my panties in a bunch is i have to buy 1600 points in order to download this Map Pack. So for me it really 20 bucks not $15.[/QUOTE]

Because of that, if I'm going to get it, I'll go to zune.net and get them 400 at a time but you'd have to give up your cc info.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']$15 a month is the average monthly price for an MMORPG. Think about it![/QUOTE]

Does that mean we are getting new maps every month? I guess I'll wait for the bundle lol.

My co-worker just told me he'll pay for the maps if I play with him. lol. Guess thats the only way to get the maps at this point :p Free!

[quote name='4thHorseman']I'll probably get them for no other reason than I love new maps. even maps that are overpriced.

*sigh* sometimes I hate myself.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing for a while. But I wasn't a fan of the COD4 map pack. I played very little of the first WaW map pack outside of Nazi Zombies (that was the only reason I owned the game for quite some time). And I didn't bother picking up the second and third map packs.

$15? I'll pass. What's funny is the though of paying $15 for the CODMW2 map pack yesterday made me drop $46 on BFBC2.

I can't convince myself to buy the maps at that price unless they are heavily used like another poster said. I imagine the new maps will be the focus and the old maps will be put on the back burner for a while.

Not only that, but we don't know how good the maps will be. Crash and Overgrown were pretty dang fun the first time (Crash was the best of them all) but IW is tweaking the maps a bit, which adds the risk that they will be affected in a bad way. Also, we have no idea how the new maps will be. Could be absolutely horrible and you will just end up paying $15 to play two maps and skip the other three.

Anything is possible at this point, and I will not even entertain the idea of buying the pack unless I hear the people who bought it on Day One love it to death.

[quote name='Doomed']I just got paid $0.14 (GS) to play this for months. I am so glad to be free from this game![/QUOTE]

And the game will miss you sooooo much...hahahahahaha

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I can't convince myself to buy the maps at that price unless they are heavily used like another poster said. I imagine the new maps will be the focus and the old maps will be put on the back burner for a while.

Not only that, but we don't know how good the maps will be. Crash and Overgrown were pretty dang fun the first time (Crash was the best of them all) but IW is tweaking the maps a bit, which adds the risk that they will be affected in a bad way. Also, we have no idea how the new maps will be. Could be absolutely horrible and you will just end up paying $15 to play two maps and skip the other three.

Anything is possible at this point, and I will not even entertain the idea of buying the pack unless I hear the people who bought it on Day One love it to death.[/QUOTE]

Also, you could end up not even playing the maps after you pay for them. Last night I played 3 maps in 2 hrs of multiplayer.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']And the game will miss you sooooo much...hahahahahaha[/QUOTE]
It was mostly fun. They made air support easier to shoot down while also adding harder to shoot down air support. :bomb: My only major issue with CoD4 is
modern-warfare-grenade-spam.jpg

[quote name='Doomed']It was mostly fun. They made air support easier to shoot down while also adding harder to shoot down air support. :bomb: My only major issue with CoD4 is
modern-warfare-grenade-spam.jpg
[/QUOTE]

MW2 is no better with grenade launcher after grenade launcher being used. The only time you saw that many GL shots in COD4 was on S&D trying to take out as many as you could at the spawns. I would much rather take the 3x frag whoring over this game any day (in fact, I went back to COD4 multiple times and then stopped playing both all together).

Oh, come on MW2 is just as bad with grenades, if not worse (I think worse). A good tuber can destroy multiple people at a time, but 100% of 3X grenade users in CoD4 just spammed it and 99% of the time got no kills out of them.

[quote name='thamaster24']Also, you could end up not even playing the maps after you pay for them. Last night I played 3 maps in 2 hrs of multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Three maps?! Wow.

But like I was saying, somehow the game favors some maps over others. It could be random, but why I am always playing on Afghan and Wasteland but rarely get Afghan, Invasion or Skidrow? I have never gotten Rust either in my over 8 days of play time, come on...

But when the new maps come out I have a feeling the game will try to make those maps heavily played. Not only for people to get their value by playing the maps all the time, but people who didn't buy the maps will constantly be getting booted out because all that gets played are the new maps, which is good for Activision because then you will want to buy the maps so you can get more then a single game in per lobby before getting booted.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit'] why I am always playing on Afghan and Wasteland but rarely get Afghan[/QUOTE]

hahawuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

I agree it seems to favor certain maps. I never get to play Highrise or Terminal as much as I'd like (my favorites).

Don't really get all the hate re: map pack. Seems like if it had come at 800, no one would have bat an eye. But 1200, another five bucks, sends everyone into Hateville. Which isn't to say I'm definitely getting it - the lag has gotten much worse as of late, and Starcraft II shows up later this year, and I've got a big enough backlog as is.

Still, fun game overall. Don't understand all the hyperbolic "worst game ever" jazz.

[quote name='Strell']hahawuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

I agree it seems to favor certain maps. I never get to play Highrise or Terminal as much as I'd like (my favorites).

Don't really get all the hate re: map pack. Seems like if it had come at 800, no one would have bat an eye. But 1200, another five bucks, sends everyone into Hateville. Which isn't to say I'm definitely getting it - the lag has gotten much worse as of late, and Starcraft II shows up later this year, and I've got a big enough backlog as is.

Still, fun game overall. Don't understand all the hyperbolic "worst game ever" jazz.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me, the problem is if it sets a standard.

Fair enough. I'm not going to get into it since everyone's minds are made up on the matter. Likewise I'm not going to pretend that there aren't blatant alternatives that expose just how bad the pricing structure is (Perfect Dark says hi).

I'm just curious why five bucks takes it from "definite" to "holy shitstain abysmal fuckery." If it's due to worries about future packs, then we need to wait and see how that pans out.

[quote name='Strell']
I'm just curious why five bucks takes it from "definite" to "holy shitstain abysmal fuckery." If it's due to worries about future packs, then we need to wait and see how that pans out.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with that. In the big scheme of things, 5.00 is nothing. However, if more companies adopt this pricing structure, it'll add up.

Just look at the non-exsistance of 400 pt games.

[quote name='Strell']hahawuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Still, fun game overall. Don't understand all the hyperbolic "worst game ever" jazz.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed this as well. What is up with this?

bread's done
Back