Connect PS3 to PSN without current firmware?

ZCG

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
In a nutshell I don't want to upgrade/update my PS3's firmware. I have a 60GB console running 2.60 & I've heard way too many people complain about things generally not working properly & far too many 60GB consoles going belly up all-together after updating to 2.70.

I used Google to search for a way to connect my PS3 to the internet without updating the firmware. Yeah, just type something along those lines into a Google search & you'll find some interesting info. Info that I'm guessing plenty of CAGs already know about & use. My problem is...I'm not sure I'm allowed to openly ask about it.

If we are allowed to talk about this (this doesn't involve piracy, homebrew, or even the possibility of that type of thing), then I could use some help.

I've figured out how to connect to the PSN Store & I can check my messages & send them, as well as sync my trophies. What I can't do is stay connected to the internet while loading, starting, or playing any type of game (disc based or downloaded).

I've heard it is possible to actually play online...somehow. Anyone here able to help me figure this out?

I did some more Google searching & found an additional program that says it will let me play games online without installing Sony's mandatory firmware update. I'll try to figure out how to use it & see how it goes.

I can't be the only CAG who is trying this sort of thing. There has to be members who have succeeded. I'd really appreciate some input =)

[quote name='s2k']I have my 60gb on the latest firmware and it works the same as before.[/quote]
same here

there's no custom firmwares yet, so i don't see any point not to upgrade. The only downside is the wait... it's a pain in the ass, but yeah, can't help it...

The problems you're likely to create avoiding upgrading the firmware are most likely more detrimental than the infitesimally small chance of your PS3 going "belly-up" from a firmware upgrade. This is the first I ever hear of anyone having issues with the 2.70 firmware causing issues.

If you're that anal about console reliability, don't purchase first production model of it. Waiting 1-2 years will get you much more reliable model that can last for years.

My 60GB is fine too, I almost always update within the first 1-3 days of an update, and none of them have caused problems. I don't blame you for worrying though, I see a lot of people complaining of 60GB's dying on the Playstation forums.

I'm more concerned with the laser needing replacement than firmware problems.

It is a relief to hear positive feedback from other 60GB owners. It's just that every time I'm ready to take the plunge I first re-check the current complaints & see lots of "fresh faces" crying about how their system stopped working after the update.

I found a 2nd program that sets up a proxy connection for the PS3. This GUI is more complicated to set up, but apparently you can actually play online with it. This program is supposedly easy to use, but I'm such a complete newb to this stuff that I haven't figured it out >.>

^It only seems like everyone is having problems because only the people with problems post complaints. You aren't going to read thousands of accounts from people posting "hey just want to let you know my PS3 still works!"
People don't post when stuff works only when stuff doesn't. PS3 has a failure rate of 1%

Add another one to the people who have 60gb PS3s, have updated to the new firmware the hour its released, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

lol, OK Ok =) It isn't that I'm missing the point that the huge majority of PS3 consoles are doing just fine with every firmware update that Sony releases. I remain interested in this whole internet connection by proxy business because it has a few advantages. The biggest possible advantage is a very impressive improvement in download speed; which is awesome for people like me who have pretty crummy DSL connections.

I'm not looking for emotional support ;-) I'm looking for tech. support (^.^) Is anyone interested in giving me some technical assistance? I don't think I'm allowed to give direct links to the the PS3ProxyServer Gui or it's Tutorial (they're listed in "hacking" sites ;-), so please Google "Total Proxy Package" or PS3ProxyServer.

Here are two steps (in the tutorial) that are confusing me:

"
3. On your PC, go to "C: \ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers \ Etc". It opened the file with any text editor such as Notepad hosts and add the following lines at the end of the file" Sorry, but I've no idea how to do what is being described here.

"Step 1" in the "Instructions for configuring proxy on your PS3 console" section of the instructions says "IP Address: the first 3 numbers must match that of your local connection in your PC (For example, if your local address is 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.X must place, where X any number above 100)" Am I being instructed to change the last digit of my IP Address so it is different from the one I entered in the PS3 ProxyServer GUI?

[quote name='ZCG']lol, OK Ok =) It isn't that I'm missing the point that the huge majority of PS3 consoles are doing just fine with every firmware update that Sony releases. I remain interested in this whole internet connection by proxy business because it has a few advantages. The biggest possible advantage is a very impressive improvement in download speed; which is awesome for people like me who have pretty crummy DSL connections.

I'm not looking for emotional support ;-) I'm looking for tech. support (^.^) Is anyone interested in giving me some technical assistance? I don't think I'm allowed to give direct links to the the PS3ProxyServer Gui or it's Tutorial (they're listed in "hacking" sites ;-), so please Google "Total Proxy Package" or PS3ProxyServer.

"
3. On your PC, go to "C: \ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers \ Etc". It opened the file with any text editor such as Notepad hosts and add the following lines at the end of the file" Sorry, but I've no idea how to do what is being described here.

"Step 1" in the "Instructions for configuring proxy on your PS3 console" section of the instructions says "IP Address: the first 3 numbers must match that of your local connection in your PC (For example, if your local address is 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.X must place, where X any number above 100)" Am I being instructed to change the last digit of my IP Address so it is different from the one I entered in the PS3 ProxyServer GUI?[/quote]
You do realize that a proxy server won't make you download faster, right? That's not what it does. Actually, it's likely that your downloads will be even slower. You're still going to be limited by how fast or slow your internet connection is. The problem with proxy servers is that you now have even more servers to travel through before getting to your final destination, so it's more likely to slow it down even more.

I have the feeling this "proxy" thing is more like how to cheat online thing :lol:

My 80GB/Metal Gear one's been fine with all the updates. It migth not be a terrible idea to wait a couple of days to update if you're not using it online anyway, but other than that you're probably fine.

(I do the same thing with patches on Windows really. I'll wait for a service pack or IE 8 or whatever to come to Windows update, usually a month or so after it's release, so in case there's any huge problem it'll get found before I install it.)

Sir, you have no clue what you are doing. You are just going to mess your PC up. Just update your firmware. But an external hard drive to backup your PS3 if you are so scared.

[quote name='ZCG']lol, OK Ok =) It isn't that I'm missing the point that the huge majority of PS3 consoles are doing just fine with every firmware update that Sony releases. I remain interested in this whole internet connection by proxy business because it has a few advantages. The biggest possible advantage is a very impressive improvement in download speed; which is awesome for people like me who have pretty crummy DSL connections.

"3. On your PC, go to "C: \ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers \ Etc". It opened the file with any text editor such as Notepad hosts and add the following lines at the end of the file" Sorry, but I've no idea how to do what is being described here.

"Step 1" in the "Instructions for configuring proxy on your PS3 console" section of the instructions says "IP Address: the first 3 numbers must match that of your local connection in your PC (For example, if your local address is 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.X must place, where X any number above 100)" Am I being instructed to change the last digit of my IP Address so it is different from the one I entered in the PS3 ProxyServer GUI?[/quote]

I don't advocate doing what you are doing, since, as I stated earlier, you're more likely to screw up your PS3 this way than by updating. That being said...

The one that talks about notepad... all you have to do is find the file they are talking about, right click, select "Open With" and then scroll down to notepad. Once it is opened, scroll to the bottom and add the lines of text they provide (being a "hacker" site, you better hope they aren't screwing with you and messing up something important for your computer).

The IP address instructions are just asking you to check your PS3's IP address. If the first 3 sets of numbers are the same as your computers, then you're fine. If for some reason they are different, then you'll have to change the PS3's IP address (probably by setting it through the router) so that the first 3 sets of numbers are the same as your computers. The last digits of you PS3's IP address are irrelevant as long as they are bigger than 100.

I'd just update it. I mean yeah, no offense, but it sounds like you might end up doing something that would either inadvertently or deliberately (on the part of some random sight) mess things up.

I mean if it was adding some capability the system didn't already have-like say how people used to funnel local connections on their gamecube over the internet through their computers, that's one thing, but if firmware kills your PS3, its going to happen sooner or later anyway, and I doubt it's that risky...particularly once it's been up for a few days.

I've been updating my PSP and PS3 since I've gotten them, and never had issues.

The PS3 updates are HUUUUUGE though! But it makes sense, given how much stuff the system does. I mean it's got a web browser, the interface, a ton of networking stuff, support for Home and Folding/Life with Playstation, AND a blue ray and DVD player built in, etc.!

[quote name='ZCG']It is a relief to hear positive feedback from other 60GB owners. It's just that every time I'm ready to take the plunge I first re-check the current complaints & see lots of "fresh faces" crying about how their system stopped working after the update.

I found a 2nd program that sets up a proxy connection for the PS3. This GUI is more complicated to set up, but apparently you can actually play online with it. This program is supposedly easy to use, but I'm such a complete newb to this stuff that I haven't figured it out >.>[/QUOTE]
If you're a newb to the whole hacking/fw circumvention thing, I wouldn't worry about some official fw upgrade screwing your system up. Upgrading the firmware is a lot less painful than what you're trying to accomplish sounds. You need to realize that using programs for "hacking" purposes is risky not just because of the source, but often the benefits are overexaggerated, plus the manuals and tech support really, really suck. It's usually written by people whose native tongue isn't English. If your internet is that slow, just download it to a USB key somewhere where it is faster and install it from there.

If you're really bent on making it work, your best bet is using the forum where you got the program. Good luck.

I have two 60GB PS3 both have been updated regurlarly with firmware updates.

Never had a problem, the only thing that would scare me would be a powercut during an update but hopefully Sony has built in a safe guard.

You get more features and fixes with a firmware update.

You do know that Sony has put a rollback feature if a firmware messes up your system right?

Thanks everyone for the responses. It is always good to hear from other 60GB owners.

I'm surprised nobody is familiar with this proxy business. The increase in download speeds associated with PS3ProxyServer is due to the program re-directing the information downloaded away from your PS3 & to your PC. Then you can download from your PC to your PS3. For reasons I don't understand this process makes a huge improvement in the total time it takes to get anything downloaded onto the PS3. I have posted my question/s at the site that covers this program, but haven't received a response yet.

Meh, I'm able to get Logan5's program working, so I can do everything but play online or download game updates. I have such a large backlog of games that don't require internet connection that I'll just focus on them. By the time I'm done I bet Sony will release the next firmware update. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out how to get PS3ProxyServer to work between now & then ;-)

[quote name='ZCG']In a nutshell I don't want to upgrade/update my PS3's firmware.[/quote]

Honestly, I'm still waiting for Sony to make a 'skip update' button on the XMB, since most of the shit they've added has been totally useless for me.

About the only thing(s) I'd really and truly want from a FW update at this point are:

*Backwards compatability with PS2 titles(but only if FREE or VERY low cost)

The text chat thing was an interesting addition during the last FW update, but outside of that there hasn't been shit they've added that has been worthwhile to me.

Unless Sony's done something really really strange, there's no reason downloading to your PC would be any faster than downloading to your PS3...

EDIT: And you're going to have to update your system sooner or later to play new games anyway. EVERY system since the Playstation Portable have had you upgrade firmware.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Unless Sony's done something really really strange, there's no reason downloading to your PC would be any faster than downloading to your PS3...

EDIT: And you're going to have to update your system sooner or later to play new games anyway. EVERY system since the Playstation Portable have had you upgrade firmware.[/quote]
Sony hasn't. The OP just doesn't quite understand what a proxy is or how it works.

Listen OP, a proxy will in no way, shape, or form EVER give you better download speeds. It can, at best, only give you the same speeds, but it's much more likely to slow it down even more. Download to your PC will not be any faster than directly to the PS3. I don't know what people have been telling you about that software you're trying to use, but everything they're saying is wrong, unless for some strange reason all you're doing is downloading the update from a different source than directly from Sony.

Just update the f'n thing to 2.70 already!!! Geez...

Seriously, you clearly have some paranoia issues you should have addressed or something. There is a miniscule risk involved when updating the firmware of ANYTHING. People have had Xbox360s RROD after an update, people have had Wiis die after an update, people have had PC motherboards die after an update, and yes, some people have had PS3s die after an update. But they are all in a very VERY small minority. Just because something can happen doesn't mean you should live in fear of it. You have a greater chance dying in a car crash today than your PS3 does bricking and I doubt you sit at home as a hermit, not venturing out. Heck, better stop eating as there is a chance you might get high cholesterol from what you ate today. Or you might choke on your food. See how utterly ludicrous you sound now? 60GB PS3s are not at higher risk than any other PS3 model. I keep all my consoles up to date (including my 60GB PS3) and you should do the same! Nothing in life ever comes with absolute zero risk.

Stop with the crazy b.s., get the paranoia in line, and just update to 2.70. There is not any more risk installing 2.70 than there was when you perviously updated to 2.60! FFS.

Another happy 60gb user. Never had trouble with firmware. Enjoying the full hardware based backward compatibility. (SSX anyone?)
Using a proxy to avoid updating firmware...wow!

fyi, the used PS3 consoles that have backward compatibility are being sold for more than the new ps3 consoles at GameStop. But why should sony listen to their clients, when they are too busy trying to see why we aren't buying more ps3 games, that won't be compatible with the ps4...

I'm sure that the OP is afraid to update because I was reading that they are working on a hack to play back up games assuming you don't update your PS3.

Allright guys, I finally relocated the info regarding the increase in download speed that can be obtained when using a proxy for the PS3. Here it is:
http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190858

I'm not interested in pirating or anything nefarious. I just enjoy using my personal items in ways that are most convenient for my personal use. Do I know what I'm doing yet? Nope ;-) But when I bought my first PSP I didn't know what I was doing, but finally figured out how to play my games straight from my MS. And this was before the easy to use Pandora Battery & Magic MS were so easily available. I used the Lumines game to get the job done =)

I heard about this PS3 proxy stuff just before posting this thread, so I'm experiencing a bit of a "learning curve", lol.

[quote name='ZCG'] I just enjoy using my personal items in ways that are most convenient for my personal use.[/quote]

Then why all this hassle?

[quote name='ZCG']
I'm not interested in pirating or anything nefarious. [/quote]

[quote name='ZCG']I bought my first PSP I didn't know what I was doing, but finally figured out how to play my games straight from my MS. And this was before the easy to use Pandora Battery & Magic MS were so easily available.
[/quote]

Laaj what's with all the quoting? As far as this being a hassle, well it's no more of a hassle than what I have to go through when my router &/or PC takes a dump & I have to figure out how to reset everything.

If it's Ethernet it really shouldn't be having weird issues. I mean Ethernet's just plug and play anymore, aside from making sure your router's firewall is on and set semi-reasonably.

EDIT: Dang, they've got Obscure now too...I sort of wanted to play the first one, but I think originally it had some nasty DRM... I may go broke from buying trillions of cheap games :D

bread's done
Back