Convince be to keep my PS3

Rimmit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey all,
I picked up a ps3 at BB two days ago, and haven't opened it yet. I'm still debating whether I should keep it or not. I have a 32'' HDTV CRT that can show the HD, but it seems as though the enthusiasm is less the overwhelming and a 5.1 system that can make use of the sound. I'm tempted to get a xbox 360 at this point as I love gears of war, but that's about all I'd want to get on the system. Someone remind me of all the great sony franchises that are exlusive, and why the ps3 will rock in the future.

There's FFXII, DMC 4, MGS4, Ratchet and clank, jak and daxter, God of war, but what are the new franchises?? Basically I need some prodding to make sure I'm making the right decision. What are the upcoming exclusives for the xbox 360 that I won't be able to get?

[quote name='schuerm26']Sell it. Use the money to buy a more 360 Games and a WII, PLUS have more left over.[/QUOTE]

You haven't seen what PS3s are selling for. 60GB are hardly going for $900 right now.

If you have an extensive PS2 backlog, keep it. If not, maybe you could sell it and get enough money to pay for the better part of a Premium 360. There won't be any "must-have" PS3 titles for a few months yet.

[quote name='mykevermin']You haven't seen what PS3s are selling for. 60GB are hardly going for $900 right now.

If you have an extensive PS2 backlog, keep it. If not, maybe you could sell it and get enough money to pay for the better part of a Premium 360. There won't be any "must-have" PS3 titles for a few months yet.[/quote]

Most 60 GB go for $800 or so, hence the buy a WII ($250) and 360 games (3 games $180) and have money left over ($350 give or take). Not pure profit left over, but you would have only spend $250 to $300 for a WII and 3 360 games.

sell it to someone who'd appreciate its greatness, ah heck, keep it and enjoy it.. or heck return it to the store.

[quote name='schuerm26']Most 60 GB go for $800 or so, hence the buy a WII ($250) and 360 games (3 games $180) and have money left over ($350 give or take). [/QUOTE]

After auction fees, that's more like $150 profit for a fair amount of trouble. Could be worth it, might not be. If it's a 20GB model, the situation is even worse. This talk of buying a Wii is kind of silly, since he wouldn't have nearly enough to get a Wii and a 360 (he said he doesn't have one yet) and also get games for them. The question is whether he should sell (or take back) the PS3 and get a 360.

If you're buying something play in the next few months, the 360 is the better choice simply because it's got a lot more games. But the PS3 will be taking off soon enough. If you're looking at the long term and not just the next few months, I think the PS3 is a fine choice. You won't be able to play things like Halo 3 or Gears of War, but you will get all of the Sony franchises. I guess you have to ask which kind of games you like more. Ask yourself which system has the games that you would really feel bad about not being able to play.

You just have to realize that your choice of games will be more limited at the beginning. Of course, you can always play PS2 games or watch Bluray movies in addition to playing PS3 games.

I forgot to mention, money is not an issue.

I already have a wii. HAve had 4 sold 3. Currently playing wii sports and zelda.

I already sold a ps3 and several wii's. The lone ps3 netted me 3700, which after all the fees are said and done was 2900 dollars, plus I've made 700 off sellnig wiis. I'm done flipping systems on ebay. I have the MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT. THE BUYER WAS HAPPY. So don't question chargebacks, scammers whatever, he was satisfied w/ his purchase.

For anyone who is curious, just search my past posts for the link to the auction. I've been extensively posting inthe ebay scalp thread along w/ the Sold my ps3 for xxx amount thread and you can find it there, and you can find links to my auctions there.

The question is should I get an xbox 360 for ONLY gears of war, or stick w/ the ps3. I'll eventually get a 360 later after a price drop if I stick w/ the ps3 now.

Ultimately, I think I would regret not being able to play god of war 3 or FFXIII. I'm not a huge FPS fan. I love rpg's. Thanks for the help, but I think I'll probably keep the ps3, or at least sit on it for another week to settle my mind. I really like having the bluray, as I'm a huge home theater buff.

I think you asking to be convinced means you should get rid of it. Who buys something and then asks to be convinced to open it? Especially something that expensive. Oh shit I almost forgot, I bought a Ferrari last night. Will you guys convince me to keep/drive it. Im not real sure what to do.

I'd sell it if I could make a profit, but ebay has tanked. Not worth the hassle.
I'm just debating if I'd be better off w/ a 360 right now, or should I wait for the 360 price drop, and hold on to the ps3 as it won't drop in price for a looong time.

Just put it on craigslist and forget you ever bought the thing. No hassle, No fees. Its beautiful. Even if youre not sure, Id post it and see if you get any action. Start high.

If you have that much extra cash and don't want it then give it to charity. If you don't need the money and think you'll want it later then just set the fucker up and don't use it, and buy a 360 if you want one.

i think you should make a website called "smashmyps3.com". then destroy your ps3 for the masses.:applause:

sell it for profit and buy a wii + xbox360 OR buy all the games from last generation you couldnt get for one reason or another unless the system is abandoned and production stops (which i doubt will happen this early if at all) you can always rebuy the system. $600 is alot of money spent only to get doubt in return

Thanks for your help. I already own a wii, and pretty much ever major game of the last generation. One of my friends told me he'd take it if I didn't want it, so I'll probably just sell it to him if I decide to not open it.

update:
I've decided to keep it. I really want the blu-ray drive. I bought a DVD player back in 97 when they were only in test markets for 600 bucks, and might as well keep up the trend. 600 compared to 600 back then isn't as much, plus you get a TON more out of the ps3. It'll be at least 2 years till Blu-ray comes down to a 200-300 price level, so it's not worth it to wait for the stand alone players. Thanks for all of your help.

[quote name='Rimmit']Thanks for your help. I already own a wii, and pretty much ever major game of the last generation. One of my friends told me he'd take it if I didn't want it, so I'll probably just sell it to him if I decide to not open it.

update:
I've decided to keep it. I really want the blu-ray drive. I bought a DVD player back in 97 when they were only in test markets for 600 bucks, and might as well keep up the trend. 600 compared to 600 back then isn't as much, plus you get a TON more out of the ps3. It'll be at least 2 years till Blu-ray comes down to a 200-300 price level, so it's not worth it to wait for the stand alone players. Thanks for all of your help.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the right move to me. Only reason to sell it would be if there aren't any games you want before the first major price drop, but there probably will be. Heck, if you don't have a 360 or a gaming PC, an enhanced Oblivion launches next month which'll be worth it right there.

Here's another exclusive no one mentioned-Naughty Dog's new untitled adventure game looks pretty great (I'm not a fan of most of their games, but that thing looks really fun).

The videos for White Knight look incredible too. I didn't care about it and just thought it was some generic RPG until Tycho from Penny Arcade posted a video saying the he thought the same thing until seeing the video. Looks like it could really be a "next gen" RPG.

(And good grief, can you guys believe the trolls on here? You have to beat them off with a stick they're so thick.)

[quote name='Rimmit']I forgot to mention, money is not an issue.

I already have a wii. HAve had 4 sold 3. Currently playing wii sports and zelda.

I already sold a ps3 and several wii's. The lone ps3 netted me 3700, which after all the fees are said and done was 2900 dollars, plus I've made 700 off sellnig wiis. I'm done flipping systems on ebay. I have the MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT. THE BUYER WAS HAPPY. So don't question chargebacks, scammers whatever, he was satisfied w/ his purchase.
[/QUOTE]

Dude, you were one of the lucky ones. Why is this even an issue? With a $2900 profit off your PS3 sale you should just fucking keep this one, AND buy a 360. That's what I'd do. You've posted that you decided to keep it. Just get a 360 NOW as well. Buy that Costco bundle with the instant rebate (for the warranty).

I mean, I'm happy for you that you got so much for it, but I have no sympathy for your "dilemma" about keeping the second one or getting a 360. :rofl:

[quote name='io']Dude, you were one of the lucky ones. Why is this even an issue? With a $2900 profit off your PS3 sale you should just fucking keep this one, AND buy a 360. That's what I'd do. You've posted that you decided to keep it. Just get a 360 NOW as well. Buy that Costco bundle with the instant rebate (for the warranty).

I mean, I'm happy for you that you got so much for it, but I have no sympathy for your "dilemma" about keeping the second one or getting a 360. :rofl:[/quote]

Yes I was one of the lucky ones. It truly was a LOT of ebay strategizing as I'd been strategizing for months how I was gonna list my listing, and I was literally the only BIN for 8 hours w/ a picture of my name inthe auction, everyone else was preorders. So I had the whole worlds attention as I was the#1 listed auction for 8 hours. I also lucked out in that the bidder was honest and did no chargebacks.

I would except that I've already saved the majority of the 2900 for my honeymoon, I donated around 400 to various charities(Karma does exist imo), and am using the remainder for either a ps3 or a 360. I can't justify buying 3 NEW systems in a months span.

Thanks for all the help. I've already bought resistance: FOM, Blu ray's of Kingdom of heaven, T2, Xmen 3, an extra controller. I'm just waiting on my HDMI cable in the mail, and that bad boys gonna open up.

I totally forgot about Oblivion, that's worth it to me for the ps3 alone. While I could get it on 360, It's nice to know that it's one time exclusivity on the consoles is no longer. Also Rainbow six vegas will be ported over. Combine that w/ the upcoming lair, and heavenly sword, and the down the line MGS 4 and FFXIII and Im' sold on the ps3. Just have to be patient. Much like how it took a while for the ball to get rolling on the 360. This time last year, everyone said the same thing about the 360 and look where it is now.

Obilivion is supposed to look better on the PS3 also, and of course it should run way quieter! Hopefully it'll be more stable (the system in general), because I've not been impressed with the 360's stability. It's less stable than any PC games I've played in ages.

[quote name='icruise']Really? What stability problems have you been having?[/QUOTE]

Just a lot of games crash from time to time. Farcry was especially bad. Had some crashes in Tomb Raider: Legend I think. I haven't played the 360 Oblivion, but I've heard that's not totally stable either.

[quote name='the3rdkey']be a xbox 360![/quote] I don't know, I think he should buy one instead.
[quote name='Wolfpup']Just a lot of games crash from time to time. Farcry was especially bad. Had some crashes in Tomb Raider: Legend I think. I haven't played the 360 Oblivion, but I've heard that's not totally stable either.[/QUOTE]
This sounds like a problem with your 360. Did you get the MS warranty?

[quote name='rickonker']I don't know, I think he should buy one instead.

This sounds like a problem with your 360. Did you get the MS warranty?[/QUOTE]

I got a warranty through Gamestop. It really varies by game though, so I don't know if it's a real problem or not (besides just buggy software and/or OS. It's sure better built than my first two. I have gotten a red ring of light, but I THINK it's always been that the video connection isn't quite in all the way.

Don't listen to these Xbox trolls. Just keep your PS3. There are going to be some quality titles coming out within the next few months like oblivion, virtua fighter 4, and heavenly sword.

Yeah, Oblivion alone will be worth it if you didn't already buy the PC or 360 version (and it's supposed to be better than the 360 version, ie basically runs at even higher quality settings).

Oh, and Resistance got a phenomenal review in Game Informer. One of the reviewers actually said it was worth owning a PS3 just for that. I have a really hard time believing that (I like FPSs, but don't LOVE them), but still, it sounds like it's really a quality title and not just launch fodder. I'll probably get it when it hits $20.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] I'll probably get it when it hits $20.[/quote]

You mean you will buy it 3 years from now?

I'm a little jealous of your profit margin..but

Get a 360: don't wait, go out there and buy one now.

I lucked out and got it for $100...but let me tell you

I think I would go back in time and buy it for $400.

It really is the best console this generation so far, even a non FPS fan can find at least a dozen games to play [it's been a month and I already have 5]

There's going to be some good games coming out soon [Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Dance Dance Revolution Universe, Forza 2]

The BC list will grow and grow [many good games got added, hopefully titles like Panzer Dragoon Orta, the first X-Men Legends game, and all the 2d fighters will come soon]

More than that, the Live arcade, Xbox Video/Audio market place, and live itself is already light years ahead of ANYTHING the Wii and PS3 offer. I've been watching HD game/movie trailers for free, downloading demos of some of the best games, and I haven't even spent a cent on anything.

Add on the option of an HD DVD drive, one of the best controllers EVER [I finally understood the 360 controller, it's the PS2 controller with the analog and DPAD switched, and my god, it WORKS]

And this someone who used to HATE the 360.

Good games are coming out around March for the PS3 so you made a right choice of keeping it.

After playing with my PS3 for a week, I decided to return it yesterday. Got my money back and re-bought a PS2 so I could play Guitar Hero.

The PS3 is a great system, but will be much better when some games come to market.

[quote name='sarausagi']I'm a little jealous of your profit margin..but

Get a 360: don't wait, go out there and buy one now.

I lucked out and got it for $100...but let me tell you

I think I would go back in time and buy it for $400.

It really is the best console this generation so far, even a non FPS fan can find at least a dozen games to play [it's been a month and I already have 5]

There's going to be some good games coming out soon [Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Dance Dance Revolution Universe, Forza 2]

And this someone who used to HATE the 360.[/quote]

Out of the list of games you gave my I wouldn't play any of those. Just gears of war. I played the lost planet demo, and wasn't too impressed, I'm so sick of DDR I want to puke (Imported it way back when on the ps1) and am so burnt out on it I can't feasibly even touch a dance pad any more. Don't like reacing games. Really Blue dragon is the ONLY thing that sem interests me. Also I was flipping through the 360 library to see what else I'd buy and play, and it's really just oblivion, R6vegas, and gears of war, and two of those I'll be able to play on the ps3.

I've already opened it, and am actually quite impressed. There isn't as much stuff to download in the ps store obviously, but you can download about 10 demos, and I'msure it'll grow. They have movie trailers as well. Still in it's infancy, but it will pick up.

Overall the ONLY thing I'd be paying 400 for is gears of war, and the 360 isn't as good of a deal once I started adding up the expenses. It was a tough decision, but I stuck w the ps3, and am happy w/ it. Resistance is fun, no gears of war, but it's still intense and a blast to play.

Thanks for the advice though. At the first price drop for the 360 I'll probably pick one up.

[quote name='oasisboy']You mean you will buy it 3 years from now?[/QUOTE]

Um, no, when it hits $20 or so, ie later 2007 probably.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Um, no, when it hits $20 or so, ie later 2007 probably.[/quote]

That's 200, and I never owned an original xbox. Xbox games just never appealed to me. I always like the quirky japanese games that Sony always has, and the abundance of RPG's. I would miss FFXIII more then Gears of war w/o a doubt, along w/ the other sony exclusive franchises. Yes probably late 2007-2008 is probably the earliest I'll pick up a 360. It just really doesn't interest me now outside of gears of war.

I'm very impressed w/ the ps3. The speed at which it loads up pictures, and these are VERY large pictures as my father is an amateur photographer, and I was loading a ton of pics onto the ps3 via the USB harddrive he has. IT's BLAZINGLY FAST. HE just bought whatever the new Duo Apple computer for 3,500 dollars is, and quite frankly, the cell can pop pictures up way faster then that monster of a computer can. If I hit the down button, and let it scroll as FAST AS IT CAN to the bottom of a liist of 500 pictures, the thumbnail renders will show up on pace for the first 100-200, pics, and then when I hit the bottom it catches up in less then a second. These are VERY large pictures as well, normally minimum of 4 mb's per pic. On most comps it takes a very loong time to load up, and there is no digital picture frame in the world that I've found that can actually show them. When I brought the PS3 over to my dad's house to show him, he was highly impressed w/ the speed that which the pictures showed. Whenever we try to make a slideshow or anything of the sort, outside of his current computer, it either takes FOREVER, or the computer crashes. The photo effects in the slide show such as the photo album show is really quite impressive, esp. considering the pictures that I'm asking it to show. My wii, which I tried to use to show my dad's pictures, CANNOT handle the pics for it's life. It just won't show them. The wii is too weak to use on any level outside of the small point and shoot 4MP camera shots. Definitely cannot handle professional level pictures. Not that the wii is marketing to a crowd that would ever have professional level photography, but just a side note. The wii however, will let you play some music during your slideshow which is nice, but I'm willing to be sony will add that in a firmware update.

I'm honestly more impressed w/ the other options of the PS3 right now. Blu-ray looks spectacular outside of the talladega nights dvd. Everything is really sleek, and just efficient, and w/ future firmware updates, it will only get more impressive.

600 dollars while steep, when you actually open the system up and see all the bells and whistles is really quite impressive. Just doesn't have the gaming library that a 1 year headstart will get you, but the library will grow. I have faith in sony to put out some stellar games in the next year.

I would not recommend this right now to anyone who is strictly looking for a gaming machine, as the really aren't any games right now for it, but if you're looking for a monster of a multimedia machine, this is quite an impressive machine. The firmware is definitely in it's infancy as there are a million things that I keep thinking of that should be included, but the PSP's firmware wasn't too spectacular either, and it's come a long way as well. Sony really did ship the system halfbaked in that regards, but over time, I'm sure the firmware will catchup to the true power of the machine.

[quote name='Rimmit']That's 200...[/quote]

I was talking about picking up Resistance when it hits $20. It looks fun, but there's no way I'd spend $60 on most games.

I was going to do the exact same thing but I never had the money and nobody ever wanted to invest with me. If you read my earlier posts you would see why I would sell the PS3.

In terms of we being adults you should sell it seeing how it would be useless in the hands of a adult.

Keep chuging those profits.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']I was going to do the exact same thing but I never had the money and nobody ever wanted to invest with me. If you read my earlier posts you would see why I would sell the PS3.

In terms of we being adults you should sell it seeing how it would be useless in the hands of a adult.

Keep chuging those profits.[/quote]

What is useless in the hands of adults?? Why would you sell a ps3, when you can only lose money, or make 30-50 AT BEST at this point?

Invest in what with you?

IMO, if you're starting this thread, maybe you shouldn't keep it. If I were to buy a PS3, I'd know for sure that I'd want to keep it, because I invested the money into it.

But, I say keep it. Sony has many awesome franchises (they have 100+ first party PS3 games in development), so they'll be no shortage of good games in the future. Without a doubt, PS3 is an investment for the future.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
But, I say keep it. Sony has many awesome franchises (they have 100+ first party PS3 games in development)[/QUOTE]

Seriously!?! :drool: I need a smillee with it's jaw on the floor, but I guess that'll do.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']But, I say keep it. Sony has many awesome franchises (they have 100+ first party PS3 games in development), so they'll be no shortage of good games in the future. Without a doubt, PS3 is an investment for the future.[/quote]

They hardly have 100+ first party titles in development. Last count by a colleague of mine that I used to work with who works at Sony was hovering around 20, with release dates ranging from mid 2007 to 2010.

bread's done
Back