Crappy games that you enjoy

davidmt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
You know those "guilty pleasures" people talk about when discussing awful TV shows or bad movies, I was thinking we could apply the same topic to gaming.

We all know there are some REAL awful games out there. But are there any that you actually like playing--either now--or back in the day?

spider

This was that launched title or very close to launch title for the original PS 1 where you play the part of a scientist turned into a spider. The motion captured spider movements make this game, since otherwise it's a really quite awful as it takes place completely on rails despite claiming to be 3-D. The saving system appears to be broken . Completely unimaginative level goals and a just plain awful level layout.gameplay revolves around the very stupid collection of items principle, and you can literally circle on a rail the room many times and miss rail paths splitting because their invisible, forcing you to circle the room yet again ad nauseaum.

Did I mention it has motion captured spiders?

This game rules!

ok dude DBZ games are not "crappy" and there are probably hella DBZ fans out there so most will prob like it, including me of course ;)

Have you played Ultimate Battle 22 or Final Bout? Legacy of Goku? The older ones for SNES (Excluding Hyper Demsion and Legend of the SSJ)? Horrible.

Well, I wouldn't consider anything that I like bad, since it is good at doing its job (entertaining me). However, I do like some games that a lot of other people don't like. For instance...

Deadly Towers (NES) - many people consider this one of the worst NES games. I think it's a good game.

NBA Hangtime (Arcade/N64) - a lot of people pan this for being NBA Jam with not enough upgrades, but it's my favorite game of all time on any system. The technique in the gameplay is unmatched, especially with 4 players. I can and do play this all the time and not get bored of it.

Luigi's Mansion (GameCube) - people don't like this due to shortness, but the game is a lot of fun to play and pretty original. No, it's not epic, but it is still fun for a while.

The only poorly rated game I really enjoyed was Digimon World for the PS1. The entire time I was playing it I knew it was a horrible game, but I had a lot of fun.

Ninja Assault for PS2. Review sites say it's awful, but I think - and still think - it rocks. Of course, I love light gun games...

Final Fantasy VIII. So many people hate this game, but I love it. I admit that it's too easy (I can have every single character with 100 ultima equipped to something by the end of the game) and I guess Squall can be annoying if you can't relate to him like I can, but overall it's a great game. I love the idea of using magic to improve your characters, and it's cool that it broke away from the traditional "MP" system that practically every RPG does and actually did something original.

But everyone else hates it. :(

I also like FFVIII. I think it's a great game. I played FFVII once and lots of people says it's really good and that it's better than FFVIII, but I didn't really like it and I thought FFVIII was much better.

I dont like VIII at all. Which one would I rather choose: using a magic attack or losing stats? I doubt I used any magic throughout the entire game. Near the end it wasnt that bad. Still though, VII is much better. Story wise I was expecting a little more though. I did enjoy the card game though, but the rules started to get annoying. My least favorite of the FF's.

all DBZ games are crap!

My new quilty pleasure is the Robin Hood:Defenders of the Crown

corny but I am addicted as I love offbeat games

I must say that I really enjoy Hat Trick.... for the uninitiated it was an old school sente arcade game that is 1 on 1 hockey where the player and goalie are on the same control.

Spider was awesome! i mean, you were a spider! isnt that enough for you people? ah well i really like X2: Wolverines revenge. everyone seems to hate it, but i love it. slicing up goons with my claws just causes a maniacal grin to cross my lips. it brings a certain warmth to my cold, dead heart when i can kill in ultraviolent ways, a feeling only previously instilled by thrill kill, soilder of fortune, and shinobi (PS2)

I played (and own) Stake, Kabuki Warriors and Batman: Dark Tommrow. I actually forced myself to beat DT, man that was no easy feat. I certainly never fully enjoyed those games, but I did get a good laugh out of them and will write a review on each soon enough. I'm a fan of gamecrap and get a kick out of real bad games, unfortunately even 10$ (... or even $5) is a bit too much for any bad game.

I love GBTG and Luigi's Mansion, the critics aren't a fan of either games and I enjoyed them, so I guess you could count that as a guilty pleasure?

Um... Buffy the Vampire Slayer is pretty damn good. My friend laughed at my purchase, but I'm digging this game :oops:

Oh, and DBZ Budokai, I appreciate that game as well.

Well, just about everyone seemingly hated Shaq-Fu but I thought it was a pretty cool game.

Bart vs the Space Mutants and Bart vs the World are also held in low regard but their imaginative gameplay made me overlook their poor controls.

super bustamove 2... I love it. It's just the game play that I like. It has most underutilized graphics. I don't know why it's on PS2. It looks like it could be done in SNES.... no.. NES.

Shenmue, a lot of people hated this game because of the dialogue and "boring" gameplay. I found it to be one of my top 3 best Dreamcast games ever.

To whoever said Deadly Towers and the NES Simpsons games, I wholeheartedly agree. Those games are awesome. Also, Winback on N64. Didn't get horrible reviews but people complained of its repetitiveness. I just found it very addicting. One of my favorite N64 games.

[quote name='TheRock88']Shenmue, a lot of people hated this game because of the dialogue and "boring" gameplay.[/quote]

Those people deserve to be shot. The Shenmue series is one of the best games ever created.

Mike Piazza's Strikezone on the N64. IGN gave this game like a 3, but I played like 3 full seasons of this game. Nothing like hitting 900 foot home runs and being praised when you jump right before you make a routine catch.

I'm not sure if I should admit to this, but I actually enjoy playing my daughter's Barbie Groovy Games on GBA. Some the the games are not half bad, others are pretty horrible.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon.

It isn't as fast as Virtual On or as in depth as Amored Core but controlling Mobile Suits in arcade style is helluva fun.

I wish the AUG vs Titan's North American game is compatible with the Network Adapter LAN mode (or even impliment free online play) since the Fed vs Zeon game had slowww split screen.

It was 2 New Year's eves and couldn't believe I spent my Christmas money (full $50 in Gamestop) on that instead of Animal Crossing or Metroid Prime. At least I had a codebreaker to make my Zeon victories flawless.

At least it kicks ass using it with an arcade styled joystick (ala the Japanese Capcom machines).

Guilty Pleasure?

Hmmm....
Haven: Call of the King....
lamest character design and voice overs CAN ACTUALLY BE FORGIVEN when you play through to see all it has to offer.

Starsky and Hutch....
pure arcade action overshadowed by gamers reading the reviews of spoiled editors who fancy a big budget release.

The Typing of the Dead
its typing. i hated doing it all through jr. high school and swore to god that i would never waste my time with a typing program ever again.....
boy i was wrong.... DEAD WRONG!
*lol* .....

(...............shut up!)

Hmmm, I got plenty of crappy games on my old P3 that I play all the time :) Can't think of any off the top of my head, though.

BTW, Star Wars: Force Commander wasn't pure crap like most reviews said. Its just that the resource system sucked (or at least, thats about all I hated about it)

[quote name='Amanda the Red Mage']Final Fantasy VIII. So many people hate this game, but I love it.[/quote]

FF VIII got me into the FF series. It really helped that I played it during my depressed, hopeless romantic late high school days... yeah.

VIII kicks ass. X really pissed me off at the beginning... it felt like all I was doing was watching a god damn movie. My reasoning was "It's the PS2, it's DVD, and they got way too fucking carried away with cinematics." But then I got further into the game and it just kicked ass.

Rikku and Yuna are fuckin' hot too. (/perv)

Luigi's Mansion at $49.99 was a crappy game due to the length. At $16 and change its pretty good. Another example would be ICO. Not worth $49.99 due to the length, but awesome in the $20 range.

Legacy of Goku II for the GBA is a really fun game, but you may have to be a fan of DBZ to enjoy it. Same goes for the Budokai games. I'm an fan of the series, so I may be a bit biased here. :)

My kids talked me into Kirby Air Ride a while back at full price. I thought it was a platform game like the previous versions. Wrong. Its a really crappy racing game. But guess what? My kids absolutely love this game. I've tried to talk them out of it several times to trade in, but no can do.

I asked my kids what the crappiest game was for the new systems they can recall and Godzilla: Destroy all Monsters is the winner. The 'cheese' factor of the AI is way up there. Try unlocking all of the monsters without throwing your controller across the room is the real challenge.

Skydiving Extreme for PS1 - rhythm action by the makers of Bust a Groove that requires no rhythm.

Starsky & Hutch - well worth $19.99 - fun despite what the loser critics say.

FantaVision - sure it sells for $4 used, but it is still fun.

Roadrash: Jailbreak - a guilty pleasure. What more needs be said?

Cardinal Syn for the PS1 - a really great looking game with an even more amazing soundtrack. Do u really need a block button when the production design is this good? Well, okay, yeah u really do need a block button, but damn that soundtrack is good.

[quote name='joystickz']Starsky and Hutch....
pure arcade action overshadowed by gamers reading the reviews of spoiled editors who fancy a big budget release.[/quote]

Yes, Starsky and Hutch rocks. Well worth it when Amazon had it for $0 with $5 shipping. Im about halfway though it and I'm having a blast. Whats it like having 2 people playing, one with a wheel and the other a lightgun? That would seem to be very fun.

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='st0neface']Halo, man does that game blow.[/quote]

You will die.[/quote]

That was obviously a joke. Lighten up, not only do I own the game, but I have all 3 books, and will preorder Halo 2 soon.

i can play the game Caveman Games for NES for hours and hours. Its just button pushes but your alway trin to break your records

Legend of Zelda for the NES, I know most people hate this game...

I could put a lot of sports games down here because I know that (Madden excluded) most sports games aren't that well received.

[quote name='oddfella']i can play the game Caveman Games for NES for hours and hours. Its just button pushes but your alway trin to break your records[/quote]

Cave-woman toss was great

[quote name='ZForce317']Legend of Zelda for the NES, I know most people hate this game...

I could put a lot of sports games down here because I know that (Madden excluded) most sports games aren't that well received.[/quote]

Yeah, they all hate Zelda, yet so many of them are tripping over themselves to get the bonus Zelda disk... Right.

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='st0neface']Halo, man does that game blow.[/quote]

You will die.[/quote]

Inevitably, yes. but not for saying halo sucked. it did. it was boring, cliched, multiplayer sucked (no bots? wha?). it was just weel hyped and advetised. Ther are MUCH better games than halo out.

[quote name='javeryh']I loved Shadow Man on the DC...[/quote]

I loved Shadow Man on the N64. The Expansion Pak bumps the graphics resolution up quite a bit, and since there's no FMV to speak of, you really don't lose a lot through the cartridge translation. The PSone model was pretty close to unplayable by comparison (muddy graphics, loose control, etc.).

I loved Deadly Towers.

And there was this weird RPG for the PSX called Guardian Quest, where you collected Windup toys to fight for you, and constantly ran into other heroes who were fighting the Big Evil, while you just searched for the mother of a monster who fell into your village. I found it oddly charming.

And Populous for the Genesis was also badass.

the crappy games I like are Buffy 1&2, Pokemon Stadium, X2, and Kabuki Quantam Fighter for NES. the buffy games are ok Kabuki was laughable and sucky to beat.

ET for the Atari 2600. I didn't know it was supposed to suck. I think I got most of my gaming dollar when I didn't have that many dollars to spend on games. I still play it once in a while.

Serious Sam on the Xbox is complete crap, but I had a blast while I played it (um...no pun intended).

Hm...The Bouncer sucked pretty bad, too, but I had some good times with that game, as well. Other than that, I can't think of any other crappy games that I enjoyed.

bread's done
Back