Criterion DVDs Half-Off @ Barnes & Noble 7/14-8/03

stimutax

CAGiversary!
Just thought I'd let you good folks know that beginning next Tuesday, all Criterion DVDs will be 50% off (60% off for card members!) at Barnes and Noble, and Criterion stuff practically never goes on sale. I'm a sucker for these overpriced sets and will definitely be taking the opportunity to complete my Kurosawa collection. :bouncy:

The Seven Samurai transfer on the DVD is freaking brilliant. The only time you notice any grain is on the (I presume they are at least) reel changes, and a bit during the fog and rain sections near the end. I can't imagine it looking tremendously better on Blu, and frankly, won't double dip...especially since the Blu is likely to be sans-booklet and fancy 3 disc casing like Last Emperor and Man Who Fell to Earth are.

[quote name='rifle21']The Seven Samurai transfer on the DVD is freaking brilliant. The only time you notice any grain is on the (I presume they are at least) reel changes, and a bit during the fog and rain sections near the end. I can't imagine it looking tremendously better on Blu, and frankly, won't double dip...especially since the Blu is likely to be sans-booklet and fancy 3 disc casing like Last Emperor and Man Who Fell to Earth are.[/QUOTE]

That is a good point--Criterion does seem to be striving to keep their blu ray releases skinny, for better or worse.

Picked up Sullivan's Travels (Veronica Lake's finest work--apparently the studio thought so too--they used a caricature of her as the movie poster) and one of Kurosawa's lesser-known works, Stray Dog. It's a great performance by a very young Mifune. You could already see his brilliance shining through in the role.

I would have gotten the Seven Samurai and High and Low 2-disc editions, but budgets is budgets. I'll have to stick with my single discs for a bit longer.

For those interested, pre-orders are available now on bn.com for Two or Three Things I Know About Her and Made in U.S.A. (they weren't up yet the last time I checked; either that or I just screwed up my search the first time), both of which are highly recommended by me. They come out Tuesday, but are already half price on the site, and with their tax being substantially cheaper than in store, I went ahead and ordered there.

Also, Amazon has the blu ray of Repulsion available for pre-order at $19.99 (it comes out a week from Tuesday), which beats the B&N deal for me, because Amazon doesn't charge tax on my orders at all. They (Amazon) just changed that price yesterday; it had been $26.99 before. And my ordering it made the already half price blu rays of some other Criterion blu rays show up in my Quick Picks; sadly, neither The 400 Blows nor The Third Man were in there, so I didn't buy any of those.

I can't find a blu-ray version of Bottle Rocket for the life of me. I ordered it off the website when the sale started and I guess I got the dvd version. Gotta return it today or tomorrow. >_

[quote name='Antic']I can't find a blu-ray version of Bottle Rocket for the life of me. I ordered it off the website when the sale started and I guess I got the dvd version. Gotta return it today or tomorrow. >_

Would anyone wanna trade one of their Criterion Collection Blu-rays for In the Realm of the Senses (Blu-Ray)? I just bought it and watched it, and would like to trade it for another that I haven't seen like The Seventh Seal, The Last Emperor, El Norte, or Bottle Rocket. I know this may not be the best place to ask, but figured I'd try.

[quote name='Antic']Would anyone wanna trade one of their Criterion Collection Blu-rays for In the Realm of the Senses (Blu-Ray)? I just bought it and watched it, and would like to trade it for another that I haven't seen like The Seventh Seal, The Last Emperor, El Norte, or Bottle Rocket. I know this may not be the best place to ask, but figured I'd try.[/QUOTE]

Was that movie any good?

[quote name='ryosnk']Was that movie any good?[/QUOTE]

As I said...

[quote name='zenintrude']If you like lots and lots of Asian sex, then yes.[/QUOTE]

Oh, btw... Just watched Bottle Rocket on Blu-ray. Looks fantastic on my 1080p TV... the most noticeable improvement is the color quality: reds and greens pop and the flesh tones are dead on. Makes the old DVD look super blue and washed out.

[quote name='ryosnk']Was that movie any good?[/QUOTE]

I didn't think it was that bad. As zenintrude said though, it does have a lot of sex in it. It was actually more than I thought it'd be. Some of the movie is pretty crazy and weird as well. I just wanted to see it once and at least be able to judge it myself.

I also tried to get the Blu-Ray version of Bottle Rocket directly at the store today and everywhere within driving distance is sold out and they can't special order it for me. I guess that option has been taken out of the system, and the guy told me that means there won't be another shipment for a month or so. >_

Any new coupons that run till August? Please don't make me beg.

EDIT: Ahhh, the internet. Just found another 10% off coupon but I think this one's online only. Anyway, it worked on the Yojimbo/Sanjuro boxset. It's: R9C9M3U

[quote name='rifle21']Any new coupons that run till August? Please don't make me beg.[/QUOTE]

I have one 15% left but it's a unique coded membership coupon. If you signed up for the membership you should get one either in your snail-mail or email shortly. It expires the 31st :whistle2:#.

[quote name='Antic']I didn't think it was that bad. As zenintrude said though, it does have a lot of sex in it. It was actually more than I thought it'd be.[/QUOTE]
You guys forget to mention that it's hardcore sex, the kind with foreign appendages in orifices(is that politically correct?).

I'm gonna try this just for the sake of being a cheapass and living true to the name of the site. Would anyone be willing to give me their member # so I can get the discount? I know I am asking a lot but I figured that I might as well ask. The only thing i can do with the member # is get the discount, it's not like I can charge something to your card.

I was happy to find last night that the stores appear to be actively restocking for the sale. Last week I'd picked up Chungking Express and The Last Emperor on blu-ray, but they hadn't had much else (in the blu-rays) that I was interested in. I went back last night and found that they'd restocked both of those, and had also added several more titles that had been gone before. I picked up The Seventh Seal and In the Realm of the Senses.

So if you're looking for a title and they don't have it at your local store, keep checking back, it might come in later.

On a side note, out of curiosity, anyone know whether this new edition of The Seventh Seal is any different from the older Criterion DVD release? I noticed that the DVD version that's out now has the same new cover as the blu-ray, but I haven't been able to find for certain whether they actually changed the content at all (new transfer, bonus features, or whatever), or just the cover art.

[quote name='arcane93']On a side note, out of curiosity, anyone know whether this new edition of The Seventh Seal is any different from the older Criterion DVD release? I noticed that the DVD version that's out now has the same new cover as the blu-ray, but I haven't been able to find for certain whether they actually changed the content at all (new transfer, bonus features, or whatever), or just the cover art.[/QUOTE]

If For All Mankind is any indication, it's been remastered and should feature more extras. I believe it at least has a new commentary from the director.

[quote name='zenintrude']If For All Mankind is any indication, it's been remastered and should feature more extras. I believe it at least has a new commentary from the director.[/QUOTE]

It'd be kinda hard to get a new commentary from Ingmar Bergman...but it would damn sure be interesting as hell. (Get the hell pun? huh, *wink**wink**nudge**nudge*). Seriously though, a new transfer is just about all you'll get on most Criterion Blus. For a comprehensive list of extras see:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37492/seventh-seal-the/

[quote name='rifle21']It'd be kinda hard to get a new commentary from Ingmar Bergman...but it would damn sure be interesting as hell. (Get the hell pun? huh, *wink**wink**nudge**nudge*).[/QUOTE]

Haha -- well, since the earlier Criterion DVD was released in 1999, and he died in 2007, it's not entirely impossible that a new commentary could have been recorded in the intervening time. It sounds from that article that you link, though, like it's got the same commentary (by Peter Cowie, a film historian, not Bergman himself) that the earlier version had.

Seriously though, a new transfer is just about all you'll get on most Criterion Blus. For a comprehensive list of extras see:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37492/seventh-seal-the/

Yeah, that was my main question, whether it's a new transfer. Sounds like it is. I'll have to dig out my older DVD and compare them at some point.

[quote name='rifle21']It'd be kinda hard to get a new commentary from Ingmar Bergman...but it would damn sure be interesting as hell. (Get the hell pun? huh, *wink**wink**nudge**nudge*). Seriously though, a new transfer is just about all you'll get on most Criterion Blus. For a comprehensive list of extras see:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37492/seventh-seal-the/[/QUOTE]

Well I believe it was recorded in 2003... so, yea... not *new*, but still. I don't believe it was on the original release... unless it was.

[edit] My mistake, it's an introduction recorded in 2003:

"Ingmar Bergman Introduction – This introduction to The Seventh Seal was created in 2003 as part of a series of introductions journalist Marie Nyrerod recorded with Ingmar Bergman to many of his films. Shot in Bergman’s screening room on Faro Island, these pieces were designed to precede the films when shown on Swedish television (1080i, 3 min)."

FYI this sale has gotten ridiculous through the use of Visa/Military/AAA links and coupon codes you can use on B&N.com. I was able to get the Late Ozu box set for $27 and Seventh Seal for $17 on Blu-ray. This sale has much better prices on Blu's than DDD. Head over to DVDtalk for all the coupons and links and whatnot.

[quote name='Gorge']FYI this sale has gotten ridiculous through the use of Visa/Military/AAA links and coupon codes you can use on B&N.com. I was able to get the Late Ozu box set for $27 and Seventh Seal for $17 on Blu-ray. This sale has much better prices on Blu's than DDD. Head over to DVDtalk for all the coupons and links and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

Holy hell. That's an extra 26% off. Made in USA is coming to $12 shipped for me. Thank you, kind sir.

[quote name='cleaver']New 20% code P3N9L8M. If you haven't bought The Third Man or Chunhking Express get it.[/QUOTE]

Were you able to stack the coupon with the sale? It doesn't seem to be letting me. When I use it on a cart with another (less expensive, but not on sale) item in it, it applies the coupon to that other item, and when I use it on a cart with only a Criterion disc in it, it doesn't apply it at all.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently it just doesn't work on pre-orders -- I was trying to use it to order the Repulsion blu-ray, which comes out on the 28th (the day after the coupon expires, damn). Works fine on a currently available title.

With the 20% coupon and the Military link I ended up grabbing Mishima, Videodrome, Yojimbo and The Seventh Seal for a total of $60. I'm pretty pleased. I wish this applied to preorders, though, as I'd like to get Jeanne Dielman.

This sale is greeaaat.

(In store using a 10% coupon for the last three)
Tanner '88 $15
Good Morning $15
Chasing Amy $9
La Haine $18
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou two disc version $15

(Online using either 10% or 20% off with military.com's 6% off and free shipping)
Ran $18
Branded to Kill $11
Tokyo Drifter $11

One more week until our wallets can rest.

These things have been flying off the shelves in our store - hopefully they'll get the message and make this a recurring sale. At any rate, I picked up The Seventh Seal and have now spent my self-imposed $100 limit.

With the BR prices the same as (most of the) DVD prices, I've been picking up mostly BR (largely out of a fear of future BR releases of the existing DVD counterparts)... anyone else find themselves with the same frame of mind?

(I recently realized I have quite a few Criterions that have since been rereleased with newer DVD versions, and in some ways I see waiting for BR for just about everything as a way to avoid the same thing again, at least in the medium term)

I placed one last order today, and so I think now I'm officially done. Spread over various orders, I got:

Science is Fiction
Harlan County, U.S.A.
Repulsion (blu ray)
Made in U.S.A
2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
The 400 Blows (blu ray)
The Third Man (blu ray)
Seven Samurai
Ikiru
Ran

$186.90 total. Pretty awesome.

Dam it I used up my coupon and the visa link to get button on bluray and I got it for $16 shipped but now I notice the best buy has it for $15, if I knew I would have gotten the third man.

[quote name='darth007']This sale is greeaaat.

(In store using a 10% coupon for the last three)
Tanner '88 $15
Good Morning $15
Chasing Amy $9
La Haine $18
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou two disc version $15

(Online using either 10% or 20% off with military.com's 6% off and free shipping)
Ran $18
Branded to Kill $11
Tokyo Drifter $11

One more week until our wallets can rest.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I can't find Chasing Amy Criterion Collection for $9. . . Am I missing something? Thanks for any help!

Edit: I'm guessing it was bought in store and not online. . . I may have to check this out!

[quote name='Pyloric']For some reason I can't find Chasing Amy Criterion Collection for $9. . . Am I missing something? Thanks for any help!

Edit: I'm guessing it was bought in store and not online. . . I may have to check this out![/QUOTE]

Just a hint for those titles that don't appear to be online . . . I was able to find the Bottle Rocket blu-ray (which doesn't come up on a title search) online by finding the UPC number on another site, and then searching on the Barnes and Noble website with that. It was listed as "out-of-stock" online of course, but I was able to check store inventory and find the one store in the entire DC area that still had a copy in stock. Used the online reservation form to get them to hold it, and picked it up that evening.

I don't know that it will work with every unlisted title, but it's worth a try.

[quote name='Pyloric']For some reason I can't find Chasing Amy Criterion Collection for $9. . . Am I missing something? Thanks for any help!

Edit: I'm guessing it was bought in store and not online. . . I may have to check this out![/QUOTE]

Do what arcane93 said and look up the upc on google. Chasing Amy's is 717951002372. Here's the link to the Chasing Amy product page.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sea...PC2MKWE&CRVSIZE=5&CRVSTART=1&EAN=717951002372

It's not on sale on the website, so you'll have to order it in store. Arcane also suggested the store inventory search. That helped me find Chasing Amy when I bought it! If it's not in stock at any of your local locations, go to the store and special order it. I special ordered Good Morning and Tanner '88.

At the store, go to the media section and give them the Chasing Amy UPC and tell them you want to special order it. They can choose to either deliver it directly to you or to the store. Ship it directly to you since the sale ends on August 2nd at 3am and it might not reach the store in time for the 50% off. You'll have to pay there at the store and pay extra for shipping if the order is under $25. Don't worry because it'll be $9.99 unlike $17.99 online.

One last thing, there is a coupon for members that takes $5 off a dvd that costs $20 or more. The fine print says you have to have bought or renewed a discount membership card between June 29th and August 26th, but you could always try. Also, It may or may not work with Chasing Amy because the msrp is $19.99. Good luck! http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/email/2009/07/BNMembers/0707_EnrollBon_M_DVDs.gif

[quote name='Curiousgeorge']Thinking about buying Salo got $19.99 is the movie any good?[/QUOTE]

Uhhh....watch the clip on the criterion website. That movie is a bit tricky to recommend to anyone.

[quote name='Curiousgeorge']Thinking about buying Salo got $19.99 is the movie any good?[/QUOTE]
Not a movie for everyone, but a good movie to watch after having a bad day working retail. I own 2 copies of it , the British BFI edition (I got while the US dvd was oop) and the Criterion reissue.

When I got my order, my Sullivan's Travels had a cracked case. Called immediately, they sent a new copy out in three days and a pre-paid return label. Good customer service, if a bit stiff in tone.

Confirmed at Chicago's B&N.
I got BluRay: The Third Man, El Norte, and The Last Emperor.
DVD:
Dazed and Confused and The Spirit of the Beehive

I got Videodrome. I would have ordered more, but I didn't want to spend waaaaaaaaay too much money. I did also find a 2-pack of John Carpenter's People Under the Stairs and Shocker(not Criterion obviously) to add to my collection for half off which was just enough to bump it over $25 for free shipping.

The packaging for Videodrome is awesome btw.

[quote name='gravel']The packaging for Videodrome is awesome btw.[/QUOTE]

You just can't beat Beta-Max. What a great choice for artwork.

I know I'm pretty late to this sale, but are there any Blu's that people would recommend? I'm sure if they made it into the Criterion Collection they must be pretty good films, but the only one I know anything about is the Seventh Seal, which I'm going to try to get before the sale ends.

Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

[quote name='lolwut?']
Anything else I should be on the lookout for?[/QUOTE]

Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
For All Mankind
The Third Man

Those are all fantastic Blu-rays as well as being extremely (and easily) enjoyable movies.

I am both saddened and relieved that this sale is over.

I ended up picking up:
Blu-Ray:
The Third Man
For All Mankind
The Last Emperor
The Seventh Seal
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The 400 Blows

DVD:
Brazil 3 disc set
Kagemusha
High and Low