Dane Cook - Vicious Circle

kevzik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
laughed My fucking Ass Off!

Get Off Your Ass And Go Rent This Now!

Edit...since I seem to be the only member who enjoyed it, I have to calm down the post (resized font).

Dane Cook sucks
mattsucksballs.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']Yep. That's a Dane Cook fan.[/quote]
Oh well. Sorry for a typo, sheesh.

And before you guys go and say he sucks...have you seen Vicious Circle?

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']One of the worst comedians of our time. I pray for a quick assassination.[/QUOTE]

You need to see more comedians. He may not be the best but he is not even close to the worst. Hit some comedy clubs and it will be clear.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Dane Cook sucks.

He takes 10 minutes to lead up to a joke, at which point any chance it had of being funny is gone.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this. Most of his early material was funny throughout the entire joke, but lately he takes too long to get to the punchline. And many times the punchline is not funnyl

Criticism
Material Theft Accusations
After the release of his CD/DVD Retaliation, similarities were noticed between Cook's work and material recorded on Louis CK's 2001 album Live in Houston. [9][11] The bits in question are Louis CK's "Itchy Asshole," "Guy On A Bike," and "Naming Kids." In 2005, Dane Cook performed and released three similar routines on Retaliation. "Louis CK vs. Dane Cook". These are "Itchy Asshole," "Struck By A Vehicle," and "My Son Optimus Prime," respectively. Cook has denied any plagiarism.[9] When asked about the similarities on the message boards of aspecialthing.com, CK acknowledged that Cook was "stealing from [him]," and said that he had performed those jokes in clubs where Dane was present, eliminating any doubts that it could be a case of parallel thought. Louis CK decided that taking any action against him is "not worth it".[12]

Comedian Joe Rogan has been less tolerant of the alleged stealing. He has spoken on many occasions (including the December 1, 2006 broadcast of the Opie and Anthony Show) about Dane repeating a bit on his first Premium Blend special that Rogan claims to have performed earlier in clubs, again with Dane present. He also went on to claim that Jim Breuer had reported to Rogan that Dane was performing some of Rogan's bits in clubs that he performed at with Breuer. "Joe Rogan Exposes Dane Cook".

[edit] Yuk-Yuks controversy
On July 24, 2006 Cook asked for a guest spot at the Vancouver Yuk-Yuks comedy club. Initially he was set to go up at the end of the night, but upon arriving at the club he requested to go up before the headliner since he had things to do in the morning (he was in town shooting the movie Employee of the Month). After going over time and ignoring the "red light", the club's manager and headliner (Peter Kelamis) cut off his microphone and tried to "play him off" with music. He thought it was simply a mistake and continued his set, but they later cut his mic and blared the exit music again. Cook then dropped the mic and walked off-stage, furious. The show then ended, leaving Cook's fans confused and disappointed, and without Kelamis having taken the stage at all; he later referred to Cook's actions as "the most arrogant thing that [he had] ever seen in [his] life".[13] Cook refused to ever set foot on a Yuk-Yuks stage again. Mark Breslin, the founder of the comedy club chain, quickly apologized and placed the blame on the club's manager, who happened to be new to the job.

[edit] Style
Rob Sheffield criticized Dane Cook's style in an October 2006 Rolling Stone article. Some excerpts from the article:
"Yeah, we get it: the world's hottest comedian, a success story, the MySpace Generation, blah to the blah, but where are the fucking jokes?...It's like he's a lovable character Will Ferrell made up for an upcoming media-prank comedy, Funny Guy: The Legend of Dane Cook."[14]

Louis CK has also accused Cook of arrogance:

"Last night I complained that he often rudely bumps me when he comes in the Laugh Factory. I wouldn't be the first one to complain. he never asks when bumping and almost always runs way over his time. He generally shows zero courtesy or respect to other comedians on the same show as him. Oh well. Whatever." [12]

Comedian Ron White has criticized Dane Cook for his lack of real material (calling him a "smoke and mirrors" act) and for his inflated ego.[15]
Jim Breuer, comedian and host of a Sirius Satellite Radio show said:
"Not one comedian comes on (my show) and says `I'm so happy for [Dane Cook],' which is weird. They can't stand this poor guy." [16]

[edit] Tourgasm
The criticisms of "Tourgasm" are perhaps the most scathing, here is only a brief selection of reviews [17]:
"...a half-hour vanity project that proves HBO can not only be TV, but bad TV at that" [18]

"To understand just how unbearable "Tourgasm" remains from start to finish, imagine a cross between Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedian" (except the jokes aren't all that funny and the comedians involved aren't that interesting or clever) and MTV's "Jackass" (except the teasing and physical pranks aren't that fun or dramatic and they end in angry recriminations, sulking and serious injuries). In short, "Tourgasm" may be the least worthwhile series ever to air on HBO..." [19]

"...it's just some guy's tedious travelogue." [20]

In the Comedy Central show Freak Show, a character is watching a Dane Cook performance, but instead of Tourgasm, the show was called Boregasm. The show poked fun at Cook's eccentric style.

Its pretty sad when other comedians openly dislike you. Comedians are a pretty tightnit group and they will usually defend another comedian even if they don't get along with them very well. Dan Cook though? Not so much.

Hmmm, never knew that he may be guilty of "stealing" material. Who knows if its true or not, it could easily be a case of being jealous of his success. I guess Dane Cook is the Terrell Owens of the comedy world (and no, I am not trying to defend T.O., just sayin).

[quote name='kevzik']Hmmm, never knew that he may be guilty of "stealing" material. Who knows if its true or not, it could easily be a case of being jealous of his success. I guess Dane Cook is the Terrell Owens of the comedy world (and no, I am not trying to defend T.O., just sayin).[/QUOTE]

A more apt comparison would be calling him the Denis Leary of this decade. I always resort to recommending the guy, but Denis Leary's career as a comedian got its start by ripping off of Bill Hicks, almost verbatim. Compare Leary's "No Cure for Cancer" with Hicks' "Dangerous" (or maybe "Revelations").

[quote name='kevzik']Hmmm, never knew that he may be guilty of "stealing" material. Who knows if its true or not, it could easily be a case of being jealous of his success. I guess Dane Cook is the Terrell Owens of the comedy world (and no, I am not trying to defend T.O., just sayin).[/QUOTE]

Listen to this: http://media.putfile.com/Joe-Rogan-Exposes-Joke-Thieves

You'll hear a couple things in there. For one, you'll see why comedians hate joke stealers (the same reason I do, a lot of the work being a comedian is developing your jokes). Also, you'll hear a lot of examples of comedians that aren't disliked and are wildly famous. Dave Chapelle is one excellent example. Its ridiculous that he can steal people's materials and become so famous on their hard fucking work. Screw Dane Cook, that lameass hack.

[quote name='mykevermin']A more apt comparison would be calling him the Denis Leary of this decade. I always resort to recommending the guy, but Denis Leary's career as a comedian got its start by ripping off of Bill Hicks, almost verbatim. Compare Leary's "No Cure for Cancer" with Hicks' "Dangerous" (or maybe "Revelations").[/QUOTE]
Except while Dennis Leary Did indeed rip his whole routine and persona from Bill Hicks, At least he was funny while doing so. Dane Cook ehhh not so much.

I like Dane Cook. I think he's funny and I think Vicious Circle was funny, but after buying it and watching it a second time it wasn't as good. Harmful if Swallowed is definitely his best work.

Wow, are you even reading any of this? Or are you just going "Oh, they are accusing him of stealing material" blah blah blah

[quote name='Rihan']Wow, are you even reading any of this? Or are you just going "Oh, they are accusing him of stealing material" blah blah blah[/quote]

Im sorry...Should I feel outraged? Him stealing or not doesn't change my opinion on a Vicious Circle...wait let me go back and watch it real fast....

Yep, still pretty funny.

Shit, I never intended to start a damn topic war.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']He lost steam after his first album, IMO.[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

His first album was pretty decent, back when he was more of a struggling comedian and gave it his all and his best. Since then he's had a slow downward spiral into horrible comedy and a rise up into fame. Retaliation was okay, not as good as Harmful If Swallowed, not even close, but still decent, Tourgasm and Employee of the Month were horrible, horrible things [I'd know, I sat through the entiretys of both], and Vicious Circle was just the final straw. The laziest, worst, most egotistical bullshit I've ever seen. Every joke was like a lame ripoff of his old jokes, told poorly and with much smugness. When I first bought his CD on a whim a while back, I enjoyed him, and thought that he was a pretty cool guy. Now he's a total prick who thinks he's the new god of comedy and nails Jessica Simpson. Well fuck you Dane Cook. I've had enough of your BS, unless you want to go back to your old self, you can fuck right off. Your 15 minutes are almost up anyways

This is what he sounds like to me. :roll:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBcAiCiKYtk[/media] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G_CB0QAbW8[/media]

it used to be "the cool thing" to say you love dane cook...it's now "the cool thing" to say you hate him...i never knew he was accused of ripping off other comedians...until that's 100% proven, i'll continue to enjoy how fucking hilarious he is...i watched Vicious Circle once by myself and again with my gf...while the first time was definitely funnier, the second time still made me laugh a lot

You can't 100% prove he stole jokes any more than you can 100% prove that God exists. Hell, criminal courts don't even try to prove 100% that someone's guilty just that their guilt is beyond a reasonable doubt. When you hear all these stories and hear the actually audio comparisons who's timeframes have not been disputed, it seems pretty damn obvious that he's ripping off other people.

Other comedians have become wildly famous and not had a huge backlash against them. Lewis Black, Dave Attell, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, none of these guys are disliked by other comedians nor have they ever even been accused of stealing jokes. It has absolutely nothing to do with his being famous.

Personally, the two reasons I can't stand the guy anymore are because its pretty damn obvious that he's been stealing material for years now and because of his "look at me, look at me, I'm famous, I'm so damn cool" attitude.

[quote name='DJ K8E']This is what he sounds like to me. :roll:[/QUOTE]

That's funny stuff.

Don't get me wrong, Cook has his moments. I was hooked on his bit on the Catholic Mass from "Harmful if Swallowed," and thought his delivery was unique (it is).

As soon as I listened to "Retaliation," the bit on the guy who gets hit by a car and the "superbleeder" schtick bored me to tears. They simply weren't funny. At all. Why were they funny to you?

It was interesting to see more of that interview with Jim Bruer because other comedians genuinely hate Cook, and don't need to hide it, to the point where Bruer expressed sympathy for the man.

To be fair, George Carlin's material over the past 5-7 years has really suffered in quality as well; not that I don't like a genuinely bitter, pill-addled hateful being, but Carlin has been too good over his career to be simply that guy who says a lot of bad words (the typical sort of Carlin set up is "...and here's another group of people who need to be beating over the head with the red hot pokers used to anally rape their mothers: the Boy Scouts" - but you change the damage and the subject every 4 minutes, and that's a Carlin routine).

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']it used to be "the cool thing" to say you love dane cook...it's now "the cool thing" to say you hate him...i never knew he was accused of ripping off other comedians...until that's 100% proven, i'll continue to enjoy how fucking hilarious he is...i watched Vicious Circle once by myself and again with my gf...while the first time was definitely funnier, the second time still made me laugh a lot[/QUOTE]

I agree. Dane Cook is funny, but now that a lot of people like him it isn't "cool" to like him.

As far as stealing jokes *cough**Carols Mencia**cough*...well that isn't cool, but damn guys...take a look at the comics around you and try to find a lot that don't. (Oh and I'm aware that you will be able to name some but if someone wanted to nit pick the dates and times that those jokes were told they could probably dig up someone who said something similar first)

On that note, I really like Mike Birbiglia and Greg Berhendt too. Those guys make me laugh.

[quote name='mykevermin']
To be fair, George Carlin's material over the past 5-7 years has really suffered in quality as well; not that I don't like a genuinely bitter, pill-addled hateful being, but Carlin has been too good over his career to be simply that guy who says a lot of bad words (the typical sort of Carlin set up is "...and here's another group of people who need to be beating over the head with the red hot pokers used to anally rape their mothers: the Boy Scouts" - but you change the damage and the subject every 4 minutes, and that's a Carlin routine).[/quote]

I'll have to agree with you there. I heard Life is Worth Losing and was like, "What happened to Carlin?"

You know...I never really found him all that funny. He was always good for a chuckle but nothing worth laughing about.

He is the type of funny that I hate the most though. Because his jokes are not that funny to begin with but he figures if he yells at the top of his lungs or flails around awhile saying them it becomes funny.

Let me see if I can make this more clear. When you watch him on mute he flails around kinda like Jim Carrey (who know of his adding alot to his jokes with body movement) but when you listen to what he is saying...its just ordinary everyday run of the mill jokes.

People hate on Dane Cook because he's the "it" person of the year, the dude's funny, Vicious Circle was mediocre, but his stand up on getting head for the first time was fucking hilarious. Niggas need to stop drinkin that hatoraade.

For those of you who like him, enjoy it. As long as stand up comedy is staying alive I'm happy.

But don't say we the people that dislike him do so because its "Cool."

So I'm on a bandwagon of not liking him. Because you can't get me to join the bandwagon of liking him.
If you look at my old posts I've never liked him.

Like I said before Cook's fans are fucking viscous. Why can't us, the people who don't like him, Continue not to like him. Why are we front runners, and assholes cause we state our opinion that we don't like him. This is what I don't understand. Nothing else will get reactions like saying you don't like cook. I simply don't like him cause he has 10 min set-ups. Why is that so hard for people to understand.

He sets up the joke in his first 5 lines, then he stutters, jumps, and swings his arms around. Then finally after 8 mins finishs the joke.

[quote name='CitizenB']For those of you who like him, enjoy it. As long as stand up comedy is staying alive I'm happy.

So I'm on a bandwagon of not liking him. Because you can't get me to join the bandwagon of liking him.

Like I said before Cook's fans are fucking viscous. Why can't us, the people who don't like him, Continue not to like him. Why are we front runners, and assholes cause we state our opinion that we don't like him. This is what I don't understand. Nothing else will get reactions like saying you don't like cook. I simply don't like him cause he has 10 min set-ups. Why is that so hard for people to understand.

He sets up the joke in his first 5 lines, then he stutters, jumps, and swings his arms around. Then finally after 8 mins finishs the joke.[/quote]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Exactly.

CitizenB's post makes the most sense. I'm not on the bandwagon of "Everybody hates him cause it's cool". I think some of his jokes are hit-and miss. The thing I don't like is that he takes way too long to deliver the joke, and often repeats the things he says two or three times.

[quote name='CitizenB']For those of you who like him, enjoy it. As long as stand up comedy is staying alive I'm happy.

He sets up the joke in his first 5 lines, then he stutters, jumps, and swings his arms around. Then finally after 8 mins finishs the joke.[/quote] No, i'm not saying your on the bandwagon of hating him, a majority of people are, if you don't like him that's great, i'm not a huge fan but I like some of his stuff. The main problem I have is that's what Dane Cook is, his set-up is his "niche". Not all comics deliver a joke in under 2 minutes, Dane Cook's style is to set-up a joke for a extended period of time.

That Tourgams show was lame. It's just sad to see a grown man be a sore loser at paintball.

One bit that was funny from Viscous Circle (sp. I know) was when he tells that kid "You'll remember me forever!"

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Do you ever post something that doesn't make you look like an arrogant asshole?[/QUOTE]

Seeing as how I'd like to right now point out that it's pretty common around CAG to dislike you, but that doesn't mean you don't truly suck, and thus it's ironic of you to post in a thread about Dane Cook, I guess I really can't deny the charges.

[quote name='ZForce915']Dane Cook is funny, but now that a lot of people like him it isn't "cool" to like him.[/QUOTE]
Oh, yeah. That's totally why he's a sub-par cookie cutter comedian with a shitty hard-to-place-your-thumb-on gimmick.

[quote name='Brak']Oh, yeah. That's totally why he's a sub-par cookie cutter comedian with a shitty hard-to-place-your-thumb-on gimmick.[/QUOTE]

I won't accuse him of being cookie cutter, and let me defend that by asking this question: what other male comedian is as perpetually fucking *perky* as Cook is? What other comedian makes random suggestions that people mistake for jokes? (except for that "naming my kid Optimus Prime" bit, since he's accused of ripping that off).

I just don't think he's funny at times ("superbleeder"), and at others he's just not telling a joke ("when I go into walgreens, I just want to steal stuff"). I thought his schtick on Catholicism was okay, but looking back on it, there aren't really any jokes (though his mention that people strategize who they will and won't share "the sign of peace" with at Mass was spot on, and funny due to the ironic nature of it). I don't get the "superfinger," I don't get "suck my back," and I generally think that he's popular because of a combination of self-promotion and that he's a good looking guy (perfect for movie roles).

I found him to be the most enjoyable in the movie "Waiting" when he played a bit part that any other person on the planet could have played.

[quote name='mykevermin']I won't accuse him of being cookie cutter, and let me defend that by asking this question: what other male comedian is as perpetually fucking *perky* as Cook is? What other comedian makes random suggestions that people mistake for jokes? (except for that "naming my kid Optimus Prime" bit, since he's accused of ripping that off).[/QUOTE]
I mean more of a cookie cutter in content, more than gimmick.

It's hard to explain, but I'll have to clarify: If you were to take transcripts of his jokes, sans his perkiness and "AND WHAT'S WITH APPLE SAUCE!?" set-up, you have nothing more than what you'd hear at some vomit-stained fratboy shitfest.

Dane Cook is unique, in terms of gimmick -- which is a good thing -- but his jokes are just. Plain. Cookie. Cut.

And, for the record, most stand-up sucks dick.

[quote name='mykevermin']Seeing as how I'd like to right now point out that it's pretty common around CAG to dislike you, but that doesn't mean you don't truly suck, and thus it's ironic of you to post in a thread about Dane Cook, I guess I really can't deny the charges.[/quote]I would rather watch 2 hours of Dane Cook than 2 hour of rasslin'. Wrestling is more unintentionally funny than Dane Cook is when he's actually trying. But hey, why watch a comedian, when you can watch 2 oiled up roid monsters slap each other in the man tits, while making dick and poop jokes? I guess you can probably relate to that stuff though, I'm sure it happens all the time in your trailer parks. Yep. That's a wrestling fan.

What a fucking jerkass. Gotta love the "I'm better than you because I make long ass posts about stupid trivial things, and constantly talk shit about stuff other people like, to make myself look better" bit. At least you know all your education is being put to good use, by talking down to random strangers on a video game message board.

[quote name='mykevermin']Seeing as how I'd like to right now point out that it's pretty common around CAG to dislike you, but that doesn't mean you don't truly suck, and thus it's ironic of you to post in a thread about Dane Cook, I guess I really can't deny the charges.[/quote]
triple negative FTW! also does that mean that was a thinly veiled insult saying that he does suck there? or is my english rusty? :)

[quote name='mscott62']triple negative FTW! also does that mean that was a thinly veiled insult saying that he does suck there? or is my english rusty? :)[/QUOTE]

well, it was one double negative really, but a run-on sentence with another unconnected negative verb. I would say, however, that your english is not rusty.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I would rather watch 2 hours of Dane Cook than 2 hour of rasslin'. Wrestling is more unintentionally funny than Dane Cook is when he's actually trying. But hey, why watch a comedian, when you can watch 2 oiled up roid monsters slap each other in the man tits, while making dick and poop jokes? I guess you can probably relate to that stuff though, I'm sure it happens all the time in your trailer parks. Yep. That's a wrestling fan.

What a fucking jerkass. Gotta love the "I'm better than you because I make long ass posts about stupid trivial things, and constantly talk shit about stuff other people like, to make myself look better" bit. At least you know all your education is being put to good use, by talking down to random strangers on a video game message board.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you leave man tits outta of this.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What a fucking jerkass. Gotta love the "I'm better than you because I make long ass posts about stupid trivial things, and constantly talk shit about stuff other people like, to make myself look better" bit. At least you know all your education is being put to good use, by talking down to random strangers on a video game message board.[/quote]
We could, in fact, liken myke to Dane Cook if we wanted to.

You see, Dane (myke) seems to have a lot of comics (people), that do not like (want to strangle) him. He also thinks he is hilarious (hyper-intelligent), great looking (never wrong), feels the need to tell jokes (make posts) with ridiculously long setups (rants), act hyper (arrogant) and has an oversized ego (oversized ego). But despite it all, he continues telling jokes (pissing people off), and has become the world's (CAG's) most well known comedian (asshole).

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sorry, that was just too funny not to say. I'll go away now. :whistle2:\"

bread's done
Back