Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

I was waiting for the decision of whether it will be on current or next gen systems given a 2014 release.  Good to hear I won't need to rush out and buy a PS4.

Dark Souls II PlayStation 3 closed beta coming October

Namco Bandai will host a PlayStation 3 closed beta test for Dark Souls II in North America and Europe on October 5, the company announced.

Fans who want to get into the beta test, which will test your skill, fortitude, and will to survive in an “entirely new area of the game,” should pay attention to the game’s official Facebook page beginning September 5 for updates.

src

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-o2KMm-5tQ

====

"Dark Souls II release date, Collector's and Limited Black Armored Edition announced"

Namco Bandai has revealed details surrounding its Dark Souls II Collector's Edition and Black Armor Pre-Order Edition as well as when the game itself will release.

Offered in limited quantities and while supplies last, both the Collector's Edition and Black Armor Edition of Dark Souls II contain items that are sure to please fans of Dark Souls; a game that's considered to be one of the most challenging experiences in video game history.

"Dark Souls II possesses one of the most enthusiastic and hardcore fan bases in today's videogame cultural sphere," says Chris Gilbert, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Namco Bandai America.  "We've paid extra close attention when creating the Collector's Edition and Black Armor Edition to ensure that each package offers compelling contents to both our most passionate hardcore fans and for gamers that are ready to take on the challenges in Dark Souls II for the first time."

The Dark Souls II Collector's Edition will feature a premium quality Warrior Knight figurine measuring in at 12 inches in height and weighing in at nearly 16 ounces.  It will also include an exclusive hardbound art-book filled images created by the talented artists at game developer FromSoftware and a sizable full-color fabric map of the game world.  These items all come packaged within a metal game case from the Dark Souls II Black Armor Edition which will contain both the game disc and the official game soundtrack.

Gamers who choose not to purchase the Collector's Edition but would still like to receive some of the perks are in luck.  Namco Bandai has stated that those who pre-order the standard version of the game will automatically receive the Dark Souls II Black Armor Edition when the game launches.  This edition features a metal case that contains both the game disc and contains the official game soundtrack. 

If that all sounds cool to you, be sure to check out the brand-new trailer Namco Bandai released for the game in the above video player.

Dark Souls II is scheduled to launch in the Americas on March 11, 2014 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The PC version will launch in the Americas shortly after the console version becomes available to consumers. 

src

i407e8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
‘Dark Souls 2’ director changes stance on potential PS4 and Xbox One ports

Yui Tanimura has changed his stance regarding the potential PS4 and Xbox One ports of the upcoming multiplatform video game, “Dark Souls 2.” In an interview with Eurogamer on Sept. 19, the game disclosed that he and the rest of his colleagues at From Software has not “rule out” the action role-playing title appearing for the two next-generation systems down the road.

Yui Tanimura stated that the development team is currently deciding whether or not to develop “Dark Souls 2” for the PS4 and Xbox One. He went to mention that he is personally “really interested” to potentially work on next-generation hardware.

Only existing consoles and PC are confirmed. I think it has to be decided for next generation consoles like Xbox One and PS4. My personal opinion as creator is that I'm really interested in next generation and I'm willing to make games for PS4 and Xbox One.

Yui Tanimura previously stated the development team had no intention to port “Dark Souls 2” to the PS4 and Xbox One. It seems like his stance has changed recently based on the aforesaid comments.

The PS4 will be hitting store shelves on Nov. 15 while the Xbox One is slated to launch one week later on Nov. 22. “Dark Souls 2” has been officially confirmed to come out for the PS3 and Xbox 360 on March 14, 2014. The PC version of the open-world action role-playing game will be release shortly after the console releases.

src

They haven't gone out yet.

*New update - Select players will receive PSN messages between 9pm and 11pm PDT.

*I got an invite. Downloading it now. File is 1.6GB. Wow, the game is actually playable now. Already summoning a friend, lol

Okay so everyone that was playing got kicked out. Guess, they didn't really want us to play until the 12th. I played for about half an hour. I summoned my friend before heading out. We didn't get very far,
There were two paths to take that we saw after arrow sniper area. Its dark and If you want light in there, break the boards covering the windows to illuminate the area. After that, there is a soul in the distance you can run off and grab and head to the lower area below. Or you can go across the bridge. We went across the bridge and fought a large double sickle wielding enemy.  After that we started exploring and seeing how people died. Next we went back to that soul area in the distance and jumped off twice to reach the lower area. After that we got kicked out.

Anyone get a beta code yet? They're given out today.
Everyone got it since these dumbasses at Namco thought a universal code that could be shared online would be a good idea, so now the beta is full cause its possible people that didnt even get invited got in anyway since they just simply looked online. Such a botch.

The beta was smooth. Managed to beat both bosses and fully explore the entire area. I felt the bosses and the level itself were both very disappointing in difficulty. The BP npcs and the surprising number of ambushes did make it interesting though.  Thank you From Soft for giving fans an extra hour to play. The great axe and Zwei were fantastic in this beta. Dual wielding swords was also fun, especially dual great-swords. Invaders could not recover from the onslaught. I invaded myself during the last 20mins  and got treated to lovely hate mail as people perished while trying to finish up their runs before the server went off.

*For last round of beta testing. Namco sent me another invite via psn. lol

The time-limited summoning has really soured me on Dark Souls II (why mess with the multiplayer aspect? Seriously). The gameplay won't be vastly different, and if I wanted to run through a Souls game mostly solo, I'd just go pick up Demon's or Dark and play those, rather than pay to play a third version of what is essentially the same game.

Looks like I'll be waiting for this one to be a clearance title. Oh well.

Got in through my EU client.Trying to enjoy the game, but reading the rage and tears from other forums is just hilarious. Even though I got in, we can only play SP. Can't summon or invade, lame. I just spent my time playing around with the magic side of things.

Beta is cancelled for NA/SA players. They will reschedule.

We have confirmed the times for the next round of the Dark Souls II PS3 Network Test

11:00 PM PST 11/9/13 - 2:00 AM PST 11/10/13
2:00 AM EST 11/10/13 - 5:00 AM EST 11/10/13

All participants of previous rounds will be allowed in and there is still space to join the next round.

Entering the code in the PlayStation Network allows you to download the client: 38QQ-8DNE-97AA

Official FB page

I would have been playing if I wasn't ransacking Walmart that night, lol. Anyway I'm just going to help out friends and pvp again.

It worked. They even tested out a new "high difficulty" mode on the servers. Was pretty funny as my friends and I were about to fight Skeleton Lord when they made the change.

Finally got another copy of Dark Souls so I can play through the expansion. 

Jesus I'm rusty! Can't even beat the Hydra to get to the Crystal Golem, I think I've died 7 times already. Every time I get to the last head he always comes down somewhere I can't reach him and when I try I keep falling into the water and die. fuck I love this game. 

"From Software rules out Dark Souls 2 DLC and the series won't be going free-to-play any time soon, either."

Dark Souls 2 will not receive any post-launch DLC, the game's producer has suggested, stating that From Software wants to deliver "the full experience to fans who purchase the package from day one".

Discussing the idea of additional content with EDGE, Takeshi Miyazoe said: "For Dark Souls 2, we don't even expect any additional downloadable content because we want to deliver a full game, the full experience, to fans who purchase the package from day one."

From Software developed a single expansion pack for the original Dark Souls – Artorias of the Abyss - but Miyazoe says that "generally downloadable content for Dark Souls II is not really being considered. Buy the package and you'll get the full experience, and you'll have as much fun as anybody else."

From doesn't expect a free-to-play Dark Souls title to release any time soon either, despite publisher Namco Bandai's current trend of spinning off their major brands into free-to-play titles.

"Not yet, and not for a while I think," continued Miyazoe, discussing the idea of F2P. "It's one of our bigger IPs right now, but it's a new IP, so I think it's too young to go free-to-play. And with Dark Souls I think it would be hard to monetise in that way. Pay per death? That would be terrible. From Software especially don't want to allow players to pay for an advantage."

Dark Souls 2 launches on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on March 14, 2013, with a PC version following shortly after.

src

My god, between From and CD Projeckt I think I have personal gaming heroes again.  Is it coincidence that two of my favorite game franchises are from devs that understand gamers and don't try to fuck them over with DLC and DRM?

This reminded me that I need to make sure I complete Dragon's Dogma soon-ish so that there's a nice break between it and Dark Souls 2.  They're similar enough yet different enough that playing them back-to-back would just not work, I think.

This went online a couple of days ago, but I didn't figure it was worth bumping the thread for, but since it's bumped anyway...

Dark Souls II: A Live Action Event (teaser trailer) coming in 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYCHC5KSA80

Dark Souls II: Cursed Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnwHliay6DE

===============

Dark Souls 2 Achievements/Trophy list is now available.

Its mostly the same as the original Dark Souls list. Read at your own discretion. 

Still remember calling game stops and being told "demon souls, never heard of it. Oh my manager said we only got 2 in, both preorders". Eventually got the last one at a gamestop 20 min away. None of my "hardcore gaming" friends heard of it and were amazed. Couldn't get past the first boss LOL.

Getting a platinum trophy in demons souls was my greatest gaming achievement. Marrowstone chunk farming...good times

This reminded me that I need to make sure I complete Dragon's Dogma soon-ish so that there's a nice break between it and Dark Souls 2. They're similar enough yet different enough that playing them back-to-back would just not work, I think.
Just started playing it. I managed to build a pretty decent Guts and I really hope I'll find a sword similar to his Doragonsureiyā.

Just started playing it. I managed to build a pretty decent Guts and I really hope I'll find a sword similar to his Doragonsureiyā.
I've really really enjoyed it. Finished NG and went to Bitterblack Isle (the new content from Dark Arisen) and played through that twice plus NG+. I think I've just about wrapped up what I want to do, though I'd love to get an online Ur Dragon kill (the grace period never seems to happen when I'm at home and awake).

More details on Dark Souls 2 PvP 

"In Dark Souls 2, no player will be safe. From Software will allow anyone - Hollow or Human - to be invaded. In other words, prepare to die. "

Much of this was learned from the beta including Soapstones having time limits. Also, a fan translated the JP website. Gives details on SP.

It's funny that as the series has progressed the distinction between soul form and body form has become less and less meaningful.

Yeah.  I think I prefer Demon's version to Dark's version.  It was a real choice back then, especially since it was harder to become human IMO (humanity seems more plentiful then the Stones of Ephemeral Eyes or whatever they were called).

There have to be some restrictions on that, like only hollows can invade hollows, right? It can't possibly be balanced if you have to fight a human as a hollow with a health penalty. I'd play it offline, but I really don't want to miss out on the message system, especially not this time, when I'll finally have the chance to experience everything together with everyone else day one.

Ouch! I really hope they fixed up the net code, because summoning took ages for me in DS1. Dropped connections left and right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JIEBsd03xc

I only skimmed the video but, reiterating they have a dedicated server just like Demon's Souls, more parameters in matchmaking than beta, and character customization.

This guy played a couple hours of the game at the Namco Bandai office and talks a little bit about the beginning of the game. I didn't watch it as i don't wanna know any spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk9Pq_hmiH0

He has a bunch of other Dark Souls related videos too.

Hardcore Players Will Likely Turn off Dark Souls 2 Voice Chat

In order to position Dark Souls 2 as the next blockbuster in Bandai Namco’s deep catalogue, developer From Software has to make the game a bit more accessible to the general audience. That means listening to fan feedback, which has included a desire to use voice chat during the cooperative gameplay sessions. It’ll be beneficial for those who need some additional direction during tricky portions of the game, but Namco's Takeshi Miyazoe believes that the core players won’t even make use of this helpful addition.

"I think, me personally, that a lot of the more hardcore players will turn it off,” he told OXM. “I think people will turn it off because it is that loose connection of not really knowing what kind of player the opponent or ally is - that's kind of the magic of the game.”

If few people are going to use it, why would From Software take the time to add voice chat?

"I think it was a lot to do with fan feedback,” Miyazoe continued. “There was a lot of requests for voice chat and friend summoning and those more multiplayer-type features. We obviously didn't want to put in friend summoning or voice chat throughout the whole game, but it was From Software's unique way to take on some of the fan feedback."

It might be friendlier to new players, but Dark Souls 2 is still going to test the patience of millions of players when it launches this spring.

My understanding of the PvP is that it uses souls collected as a factor for the matchmaking so you shouldn't have legit soul level 1 new players/characters getting invaded by fully PvP geared soul level 1 vets.

Also, the chance that you'll be invaded while hollow is supposedly far less than if you are human. The example given was something like ~90% of the time you won't be invaded while hollow. (or rather the media person said "So 9 times out of 10 you won't be invaded while hollow?" and the rep agreed to that characterization)

edit: http://youtu.be/7JIEBsd03xc?t=6m

I'm trying to find the exact video where the rep agrees to '9 times out of 10' but in the above he claims that the 'probability will be low'. (got kinda stuck in a YouTube black hole the other night so I'm having trouble finding the exact video :whistle2:k )

Are the 10 DLC armor/weapons only in the UK?  I just noticed that the new UK trailer shows a picture of the 10 items as "Early access content" for the Black armor edition.

Ugh, I'm not sure what to do.  My PS3 stopped reading discs several months ago.  I've been playing PS+ games (like Dragon's Dogma) and other digital titles.  Is this coming out for download day 1?  If not, I'd need to get a PS3, but I hate to buy a PS3 with PS4 out.  My family did just get a 360 over Christmas from my in-laws (mainly only my kids use it right now), but I'm not sure if I'd want to play a Souls game on 360.  Don't want to deal with hackers, which were apparently rampant on 360 for Dark Souls but practically non-existent on PS3 version.  What do you guys think?

Ugh, I'm not sure what to do. My PS3 stopped reading discs several months ago. I've been playing PS+ games (like Dragon's Dogma) and other digital titles. Is this coming out for download day 1? If not, I'd need to get a PS3, but I hate to buy a PS3 with PS4 out. My family did just get a 360 over Christmas from my in-laws (mainly only my kids use it right now), but I'm not sure if I'd want to play a Souls game on 360. Don't want to deal with hackers, which were apparently rampant on 360 for Dark Souls but practically non-existent on PS3 version. What do you guys think?
How about steam?

Good thought, but my PC is quite old and can't run any modern games.  I also prefer to play downstairs on my large TV :)  I'll very likely just buy the download version from PSN since it's day 1

bread's done
Back