Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

Trakan said:
Hold circle to run, press circle again after running to jump.
Wait, what? I'm sure the sign on the tutorial for jumping said something about L3. If not, what does L3 do (I know it was on one of the signs)?

And yes, YBX87, there is always multiplayer (I responded to your post in the other thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, what? I'm sure the sign on the tutorial for jumping said something about L3. If not, what does L3 do (I know it was on one of the signs)?

And yes, YBX87, there is always multiplayer (I responded to your post in the other thread).
thanks again io, i read your response post

So I'm not reading much in here because I want to approach this game without knowing too much. But I have one major gripe with the game and want some advice.

I simply cannot figure out how to jump. In that tutorial level I managed to get across the sample jump once, then of course died on the way back and lost my collected souls up to that point because I couldn't get back across again.

But it has to be easier than I'm making it. Dashing is pushing forward and pressing circle, right? But that makes you roll (right into the gap). I've tried rolling then pressing L3. I've tried L3 then rolling. I've tried them both at the same time (hard to do). Then there's the matter of timing and not being sure you are close enough to the jump (or being too close and falling before you push anything). Like I said, one time I did it. But I haven't been able to repeat it in 10-20 tries since then. I've tried tapping the stick forward if that is what dash is (I know some game has this mechanic and I've never been able to do it well) and it doesn't change my speed or anything. Help!
You can change the jump controls between two buttons if you don't find L3 to your liking. The default is L3 as you said. The other is circle. You can change by pressing start and going all the way to the right icon to Game Options.

To actually jump, you have to hold both up and circle before pressing one of those two buttons to actually execute the jump during sprint. Otherwise, you'll just roll if you press L3/O.

You can change in the menu for controls to use O to jump instead of L3.

Thanks - I will make that change next time I play. Using L3 for anything that requires good timing just doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I don't get why they changed to L3. Circle is not easy but much much better than L3.
On another note, earlier, I broke my broken sword (so it's now broken broken sword) because I didn't know it fully repairs at the bonfire. I was waiting to find a repairbox or repair powder. Then I accidentally found that I deal more damage with bare fists, lol. But it's much better now that I bought a hand axe.

Yeah, I don't get why they changed to L3. Circle is not easy but much much better than L3.
I actually enjoy the L3 change. :D PvP wise, I like my circle button being free from jumping malfunctions when I have to dash and roll in pursuit.

Supplice said:
I actually enjoy the L3 change. :D PvP wise, I like my circle button being free from jumping malfunctions when I have to dash and roll in pursuit.
I try to avoid PvP stuff but I do use rolling a lot when fighting. So I'll have to see if that causes me any problems. I think the problem I was having was that I wasn't holding circle to dash - I was just pushing it at the last minute along with L3. I swear I tried holding down all the buttons and running (as I thought I had remembered a dash option) but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Change it to O in the settings. I saw that L3 was the default for jump and was like, uh no. . .what retard thought that up?

Not very far in the game but already level 35 after grinding the old knights in some castle area. About half the area is empty now thanks to this carebear system that slowly has enemies go extinct to help players that are stuck on a boss and have to clear back each time. So that's one strike against the game from me. Otherwise the game feels pretty familiar and it's soooooooooo refreshing dying over and over to learn enemy movements until I can farm them without getting hit. So far I cleared the starting area of ogres (at level 12), killed the knight dude in the forest (drops a noice sword), and some weak skeleton in the basement of a house. It sucks these guys don't respawn because they'd be such a great soul farm lol.

As for stats so far, took care of minimum requirements to use the heal miracle and enough into str/dex to use good swords. Not sure if I should focus on getting endurance up to get my total weight under 50% again or just look for some better gear. When I first set out, I just stripped down and focused on learning to dodge again. It's paying dividends now. ;)

Wonder how long before a fast run video will pop out for this game. Seeing thise videos before was like, "WTF i kept on dying on that boss and this guy defeats it effortlessly" hehe!

So I have neglected most other responsibilities (besides work of course) and have been playing this far too much. I just cannot get enough as expected haha.

I am already level 67. I just powerhoused through an area and literally ran past a bunch of crap, randomly summoned two people, fought the boss and was rewarded with SPOILERRRRRRRRR 'Elder Soul' I believe it was called. Either way I was just stoked I got this clearly more advanced soul randomly and on my first try haha

Also I found out that respecing your character only gives you from your base class stats : /

I assumed we could reassign all of our points... I should have started as a Deprived seeing as now my random points in Faith and Attunement are going to be wasted.

Change it to O in the settings. I saw that L3 was the default for jump and was like, uh no. . .what retard thought that up?

Not very far in the game but already level 35 after grinding the old knights in some castle area. About half the area is empty now thanks to this carebear system that slowly has enemies go extinct to help players that are stuck on a boss and have to clear back each time. So that's one strike against the game from me. Otherwise the game feels pretty familiar and it's soooooooooo refreshing dying over and over to learn enemy movements until I can farm them without getting hit. So far I cleared the starting area of ogres (at level 12), killed the knight dude in the forest (drops a noice sword), and some weak skeleton in the basement of a house. It sucks these guys don't respawn because they'd be such a great soul farm lol.

As for stats so far, took care of minimum requirements to use the heal miracle and enough into str/dex to use good swords. Not sure if I should focus on getting endurance up to get my total weight under 50% again or just look for some better gear. When I first set out, I just stripped down and focused on learning to dodge again. It's paying dividends now. ;)
It's funny, because I have a few friends who have been bitching up a storm because the limited enemy respawn system has made the game much harder for them. Basically, they are the type to farm an area for souls until they are leveled up enough to make the boss much easier. Suddenly, this strategy no longer works, and it's rather amusing to see the rage this inspires.

I threw a few upgrades into a whip I found, and was amazed to see it's actually doing decent damage so far. They were so bad in Dark Souls.

It's funny, because I have a few friends who have been bitching up a storm because the limited enemy respawn system has made the game much harder for them. Basically, they are the type to farm an area for souls until they are leveled up enough to make the boss much easier. Suddenly, this strategy no longer works, and it's rather amusing to see the rage this inspires.

I threw a few upgrades into a whip I found, and was amazed to see it's actually doing decent damage so far. They were so bad in Dark Souls.
They could always toss a Bonfire Ascetic in the areas bonfire. Makes enemies always spawn, increases their difficulty and even apparently introduces some intense alternate versions of the areas creature in some instances.

I haven't done this yet myself but I really like the idea of this. To be honest I am not sure if I have such an item even though. I believe I saw somewhere you could buy them though?

I actually like the limited spawn system based on me thinking people running out of enemies in their world will push them to throw down their summon signs more.  I personally have been throwing down a summon sign before every boss as it lets me get a strategy together for when I fight him in my world (plus I get a decent amt of souls).  Getting summoned multiple times for the 1st chance fight with a certain boss that gives you 20k souls definitely helped me.

Right, I think that's more the point of the limited respawn system. It does help people who can get stuck, but it also prevents people from farming an easy area to artificially pump up their level higher than it should be. I know I was guilty of that in Demon's Souls doing Reaper runs and Dark souls doing Darkroot Garden runs. CE scheduled to show up on Monday, can't wait :D/

Right, I think that's more the point of the limited respawn system. It does help people who can get stuck, but it also prevents people from farming an easy area to artificially pump up their level higher than it should be. I know I was guilty of that in Demon's Souls doing Reaper runs and Dark souls doing Darkroot Garden runs. CE scheduled to show up on Monday, can't wait :D/
I did Reaper runs so much in Demon's Souls that I literally fell asleep at the bonfire there and woke up on the lower level with everything dead.

I kid you not. I just about pooped my pants when I realized I freaking sleep farmed. It was the most satisfying and yet sad moment in my gaming history ever hahah

Not sure how to do spoiler tags, so just don't read this post if you don't want spoilers.

Anyone know what happened to the merchant (Gulver?) that was in No Man's Wharf in a house near some monsters with large hands? He's the only merchant I've seen that has Poison Moss (remove poison buildup) to sell. I went back to look for him (after beating the boss), but he's gone. Anyone know where he went? I really need some moss for the Gutter

Anyone know what happened to the merchant (Gulver?) that was in No Man's Wharf in a house near some monsters with large hands? He's the only merchant I've seen that has Poison Moss (remove poison buildup) to sell. I went back to look for him (after beating the boss), but he's gone. Anyone know where he went? I really need some moss for the Gutter
For him.
He moves two more times after first meeting him in No Man's Wharf to Harvest Valley. After that, he will permanently move to the Doors of Pharros.

For him.
He moves two more times after first meeting him in No Man's Wharf to Harvest Valley. After that, he will permanently move to the Doors of Pharros.
I killed him on accident. I saw him from far away and he looked tough so I picked him off with arrows hahah.

I am not spoiler tagging that because there is no spoiler there but yeah... oops. He did drop an awesome weapon though it requires 50 strength to wield!

By ogres you mean the one-eyed brutes that are in the tutorial level? I was having such a hard time with them until I resorted to arrows. Yeah, I continue to suck at melee and yet I picked a character that pretty much has to (no soul arrow to start with this time). Also, what is the coffin by the two ogres for? I got in and all I did was respawn the enemies in the beginning area.

I noticed the enemies disappearing too. I thought they would just return at some point but I guess it is permanent (until you use one of those bonfire items). At first when I saw the info on those things (during one of my many death loading screens ;)) I thought why would someone ever want to do that. Now I see why. Though I would be hesitant to do so because I think it stays that way in NG+ and I've already heard this game is much harder in NG+ than the last one.

If you are that early on I wish I knew what knight dude in a forest you were talking about. I know the castle area. I was just there last night. I actually did farm the one by the bonfire for a while and he was still there. It looks like maybe it takes around 10 kills for them to go away? Anyone have an exact number or even know if it is the same for all? After doing that I ran past all the others and killed the last one and lowered the drawbridge to get the items up there -
Ring of binding being the biggie - keeps health at 75% even when fully hollow
. Then I went through the mist and got annihilated by some boss I'm not nearly ready for...

I'm probably taking the game way slower than most people though. I've been playing about 12 hours now and I just last night killed what I think is the first boss (
The Last Giant
). It took me about 20 tries though I kept at it because I would nearly always get him down to 25% or so and then just make a mistake. My problem was that for the first half you need to stay clear of him, but then when he changes tactics at 50% that doesn't work well any more. At that point I just ran up between his legs and wailed away at him. Now it seems easy. Can you do summon helping that early in the game? I could help there and level up.

I kind of sort of did this in the past too. Though there are plenty of areas to hit up so it would take quite a while to exhaust every guy there is. But that did sort of push me to face that boss a little earlier than I might have otherwise (despite me taking so long to get to him).

I also found my first crystal gecko (in the area at the top of the elevator that leads to that first boss). I got a titanite slab from him! I forget - in Dark Souls did they disappear forever if you scare them off (like they did in Demon's Souls) or do they keep coming back until you kill them? I know I scared him off at least once before I realized what he was and I was able to go back and get him. I think that is the way it was in DS which is a huge improvement over Demon's Souls. I don't want to have to follow a guide or worry about every step I take scaring them off permanently.

My go-to weapon has been the fire sword (found in the door beyond the
fireball spitting snake down below the second bonfire in the Forest of the Giants
. I've upgraded it twice and now I'm close to one-shot killing early-level enemies. I've gotten some winged spear drops and am tempted to go with that + shield as that is how I made it through most of Demon's Souls. I assume there is a way to kill that thing guarding the sword - but I sure as hell can't figure it out now. I tried standing back and hitting him with an arrow but then he aimed his attack right at me and one-shot killed me :lol:.

Also, is there pyromancy in this game? I was adding a lot of levels into faith and intelligence when I remembered vaguely that pyro didn't require those but gave you powerful spells and I used that a lot in Dark Souls. As a Warrior I only had 5 Faith and Intel but you need a minimum of 10 to use the stuff from them. I also don't even have a single attunement slot so I have to level that up too (don't remember that being a separate thing before). I want to save most of my leveling for endurance and equip load so I'm hesitant to dump 15+ into Faith/Int/Attun if I don't need them so much for pyromancy.

In Demon's souls it counts against the spawn counter if the crystal lizard escapes, in Dark Souls 1 if they escape it does not affect the spawn counter.

In Demon's souls it counts against the spawn counter if the crystal lizard escapes, in Dark Souls 1 if they escape it does not affect the spawn counter.
Good, thanks. So I can scare them off a dozen times in my bumbling and still be able to get them once I realize they are there. Do they return after being killed in DS/DS2 though? I mean, you are saying "spawn counter" so I assume so - I really have no memory of that from Dark Souls one way or the other. I know in Demon's Souls they would come back after you cleared bosses. This gecko definitely wasn't there again after I killed that one boss.

By the way, those starting out who want some minor tips without (major) spoilers check this out:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/11/5497008/dark-souls-2-tips-guide-walkthrough-video

Although I was stupid in following their advice to go with Warrior because I didn't know that the Black Armor Edition gives you various shields and weapons. They really should mention that in the article (you don't find out till later what you get from the pack). So there's no need for that "starter" shield you get there. I wish now I had started as a mage (or pyro if that is available). But even 12+ hours in, I'm still using one of the shields from the BAE (though I have moved on with respect to weapons).

Also, is there pyromancy in this game? I was adding a lot of levels into faith and intelligence when I remembered vaguely that pyro didn't require those but gave you powerful spells and I used that a lot in Dark Souls. As a Warrior I only had 5 Faith and Intel but you need a minimum of 10 to use the stuff from them. I also don't even have a single attunement slot so I have to level that up too (don't remember that being a separate thing before). I want to save most of my leveling for endurance and equip load so I'm hesitant to dump 15+ into Faith/Int/Attun if I don't need them so much for pyromancy.
I am not sure of the specifics of the use of it but it appears to function the same as Dark Souls. I like you do not have any Attunement slots however so I can't really test it out. I found both of the gloves already and then even found the pyromancy 'teacher'
it is the petrified woman holding onto that switch. Once you get the root that cures this she will come alive and have plenty of pyromancies and can level up your glove through her

By ogres you mean the one-eyed brutes that are in the tutorial level? I was having such a hard time with them until I resorted to arrows. Yeah, I continue to suck at melee and yet I picked a character that pretty much has to (no soul arrow to start with this time). Also, what is the coffin by the two ogres for? I got in and all I did was respawn the enemies in the beginning area.
Pro-tip: just stand behind them lol. They try to sit on you over and over again if you do it right; super easy to dodge. I killed all three completely naked relearning how to dodge, easy peasy.

The knight in the forest is pretty obvious, he's just sitting against a tree. And I'm not sure what the kill count has to be for enemies to go extinct. I just know that I farmed them enough to get SL35, bought heal and the cat ring for fall damage.

I'm farming them for efficiency, not to overcome a boss. The game doesn't get fun for me until I've got the setup I want to use and start executing it. Lets be real here: I could beat any of these games without ever leveling and everyone knows that having a high level in a boss fight for this game doesn't mean shit. If you ignore mechanics, you'll end up face down ass up. Regardless, the returns on the guys I was farming diminishes and I'd just move on to another spot with better souls/min.

Pro-tip: just stand behind them lol. They try to sit on you over and over again if you do it right; super easy to dodge. I killed all three completely naked relearning how to dodge, easy peasy.

The knight in the forest is pretty obvious, he's just sitting against a tree. And I'm not sure what the kill count has to be for enemies to go extinct. I just know that I farmed them enough to get SL35, bought heal and the cat ring for fall damage.
Hmm - Don't know about standing behind them. When I'd go up to them, they'd turn around and start pounding on me. Every so often I'd notice I could hit them in the butt and they wouldn't react, but that was usually just for one hit.

As for the guy in the forest, are you talking about the NPC that is waiting for the stone statue to get out of the way? That is an area "up" from Majula. I went up that way and couldn't move forward because of the stone person blocking the mechanism. But I did talk to him. He looked like he has a cool sword. Did you just outright attack him? I never do that to NPCs because I'm never sure if they have some key story (or even covenant/item) related purpose later in the game.

Oh, and there's also the NPC that doesn't talk to you in the circular area you get to from the ladder near the first bonfire in Forest of the Giants. I just left him alone too. Was it him?

I am not sure of the specifics of the use of it but it appears to function the same as Dark Souls. I like you do not have any Attunement slots however so I can't really test it out. I found both of the gloves already and then even found the pyromancy 'teacher'
it is the petrified woman holding onto that switch. Once you get the root that cures this she will come alive and have plenty of pyromancies and can level up your glove through her
Missed this earlier, so yeah, I know where that person is. What is the root and where do you get it? Also, where did you find the gloves? The only magic-related items I've found so far are a cleric's chime and the Greater Soul Arrow spell. (I also bought Heal and regular Soul Arrow from the old woman merchant). I can't use any of that until I open up an attunement slot though. I should have used my 10,000 souls from that first boss to at least see if 3-4 more attunement levels would open up a slot, but I used them on other stuff before I thought of that. I think I did bump it up to 7 though with still no slot.

Another question: so I heard somewhere else that you can get invaded even when you are hollow, which would be a big change from the last 2 games. Is this true? Also, at what point do you start getting invaded? I could be at that point now, but for nearly the entire 4-5 hours I played last night I was disconnected from the server. I think they had maintenance for a few hours and I guess you don't reconnect unless you quit and restart (or their maintenance took longer than they said it would). It is a little eerie playing without seeing bloodstains and notes from other players. But then you really are on your own - no warning about ambushes and the like. I was completely blindsided by that boulder for example ;).

Also, is there pyromancy in this game? I was adding a lot of levels into faith and intelligence when I remembered vaguely that pyro didn't require those but gave you powerful spells and I used that a lot in Dark Souls. I want to save most of my leveling for endurance and equip load so I'm hesitant to dump 15+ into Faith/Int/Attun if I don't need them so much for pyromancy.
Pyromancy has changed in DkSII. Even though you don't need int or faith to wield the flame hand, the magic themselves scale to both Int and Faith.

Thats him.
Do we know if he has any story-related purpose? Or is he just fair game to take out? Like I said, I never kill non-aggressive NPC's just in case. Like I'll find out 40 hours later he's needed to open some door that had an awesome item or something :roll:.

Pyromancy has changed in DkSII. Even though you don't need int or faith to wield the flame hand, the magic themselves scale to both Int and Faith.
Cool, thanks. So leveling both Int and Faith up to at least 10 is probably a good idea regardless.

Missed this earlier, so yeah, I know where that person is. What is the root and where do you get it? Also, where did you find the gloves? The only magic-related items I've found so far are a cleric's chime and the Greater Soul Arrow spell. (I also bought Heal and regular Soul Arrow from the old woman merchant). I can't use any of that until I open up an attunement slot though. I should have used my 10,000 souls from that first boss to at least see if 3-4 more attunement levels would open up a slot, but I used them on other stuff before I thought of that. I think I did bump it up to 7 though with still no slot.
Pretty sure the one glove was somewhere in the Gutter to the left of the first bonfire. Then the Root you get shortly after the second bonfire in the Gutter

Pretty sure the one glove was somewhere in the Gutter to the left of the first bonfire. Then the Root you get shortly after the second bonfire in the Gutter
You mean the path to the Forest of Giants? I got the cleric's chime by falling onto a ledge near the first bonfire. (If by "first bonfire" you mean Majula). Otherwise I don't know what you mean by
gutter - unless you mean the pit where you need the ring to descend - but that's not to the left of anything...
. It is entirely possible I missed a path even though I wandered all over Majula looking for secrets.

Another question: does this game make your PS3 disc churn like crazy? My son asked me what that strange noise was when I was playing and I realized he was asking me about the disc. It is really rough on the drive. I'm using my super-slim which I haven't actually played in months as opposed to my regular slim with the 750GB HD. I guess I'd rather thrash the Blu-ray drive on that one vs. on my "main" system anyway. But given that it did a big data install at the beginning I'm surprised it is so hard on the disc. I mean, it chugs along reading data any time you move around.

Do we know if he has any story-related purpose? Or is he just fair game to take out? Like I said, I never kill non-aggressive NPC's just in case. Like I'll find out 40 hours later he's needed to open some door that had an awesome item or something :roll:.
Those Heide knights are fair game to take out. There is more than one that you encounter on your journey. They are stronger than the other enemies though so take some caution.

IGN diary on Dark Souls II:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/dark-souls-ii-diary-an-uneasy-beginning

Warning: contains spoilers about the first boss. What I find amusing is that this guy got to that boss in about 2-3 hours of play. It took me like 12 :lol:.

Although I just watched the video and noticed two things: his health bar is WAY bigger than mine. When he got hit it barely took half. When that thing hit me I only had a sliver left - and presumably I have better armor too as a warrior build. Plus he beat it easily by cheesing it with soul arrow. Hell, I could have done that on the first try. Taking him via melee is much harder.

You mean the path to the Forest of Giants? I got the cleric's chime by falling onto a ledge near the first bonfire. (If by "first bonfire" you mean Majula). Otherwise I don't know what you mean by
gutter - unless you mean the pit where you need the ring to descend - but that's not to the left of anything...
. It is entirely possible I missed a path even though I wandered all over Majula looking for secrets.

Another question: does this game make your PS3 disc churn like crazy? My son asked me what that strange noise was when I was playing and I realized he was asking me about the disc. It is really rough on the drive. I'm using my super-slim which I haven't actually played in months as opposed to my regular slim with the 750GB HD. I guess I'd rather thrash the Blu-ray drive on that one vs. on my "main" system anyway. But given that it did a big data install at the beginning I'm surprised it is so hard on the disc. I mean, it chugs along reading data any time you move around.
regarding the churn, i had experienced it with alot of other games on my ps3 at time, and i have a regular slim. i heard that the super slim tend to be more noisy

Another question: so I heard somewhere else that you can get invaded even when you are hollow, which would be a big change from the last 2 games. Is this true?
100% true, although it's a very low rate if you're fully hollowed like me. I had my first invader tonight on a bridge area and it ended in tears for him. I was able to backstab him and switched to 2H stance for some follow up blows. The guy freaked out so bad he dodge rolled right off the bridge at like 80% HP rofl. FIRST BLOOD!

And about the knight, you can kill him. Think of him as one of the black knights from the soul series. They only exist to kill you and drop weapons.

Dropped the forest boss, the heide mini and main bosses, and the pursuer boss tonight. Only one that gave me any trouble was pursuer because I was trying to
use the balista on him to see how much it would hit him for and it turns out it almost one-shot kills him rofl
. Died a lot just trying to bait him since he gets mad if you run too far heh. So two areas down and almost level 50 now. I can't tell if I'm just attuned to these games now or if the bosses have really been that rollface so far. Hell, I've died to dumber shit on regular mobs more than some of these 'bosses'. Either way, I love it. All of it.

IGN diary on Dark Souls II:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/dark-souls-ii-diary-an-uneasy-beginning

Warning: contains spoilers about the first boss. What I find amusing is that this guy got to that boss in about 2-3 hours of play. It took me like 12 :lol:.

Although I just watched the video and noticed two things: his health bar is WAY bigger than mine. When he got hit it barely took half. When that thing hit me I only had a sliver left - and presumably I have better armor too as a warrior build. Plus he beat it easily by cheesing it with soul arrow. Hell, I could have done that on the first try. Taking him via melee is much harder.
Melee is the only way to play these games IMO. If you try to be cheesy with ranged attacks (outside of rare occasions like shooting off dragon tails ;)), you make the game twice as hard on yourself. Every enemy has a lunge attack that melee typically just flank and get some blows in. It might sound crazy, but being at range is far more deadly than standing toe-to-toe with enemies. 90% of the time I'm in 2H stance just getting the first blow in for a stagger and it's lights out for most mobs. That said, you can't be awful at dodging or you will get cleaved a lot but if you're good at timing, then you can just zip from mob to mob wrecking face.

Also, health bar means nothing if you're not getting hit. I'd never recommend focusing on a stat that primarily raises HP since it's a completely wasted stat. Better to put that into spell slots or damage modifiers. Possibly stamina if you find your blocks being broken.

I am finding this more enjoyable than DS thus far, but I only just entered No-Mans Warf.  My biggest challenge is mobs, although I was one hit by the boss in the Cathedral of Blue.  I felt like a flashback of Top Gun...."where'd who go?"  It was that fast.  I'm sure I've missed a few things along the way but trying to clear everything out and I think I'm level 49.

My most frustrating death was, of course, my fault.  In Heides, got the boss down to a sliver and accidentally hit the attack button an extra time instead of roll.  Guess nice fall to my death.  Other than dying while using the soapstone, its mobs for me.  

Yeah the gutter is down that hole I believe. I am not 100%, I have been playing this far too much hahah. If I recall correctly when you go down the hole there is a certain area with rats, I will just keep it at that. I think there are 2 bonfires there (that I found at least) and then as you venture further down you end up in The Gutter. It is like Blighttown and genuinely just feels grody and dark haha. From that bonfire I explored forward and then to the left and after a while over there was the Pyromancy Flame

Alright guys... I am level 87 already... My eyes are bleeding Dark Souls. hahaha

Thanks for the info on the merchant. It seems I completely skipped that area. Too bad I don't need what he's selling anymore (at least, I think I don't), but it will still be useful since...
He's the only one that buys stuff from you

One thing I just learned from reading one of the links above is that invisible walls are now activated with the "use" button (X for PS3, A for 360) instead of hitting them with your sword. Man, if I had known that earlier, I would have unlocked a few hidden places, all without getting frustrated and messing up my sword.

It seems that you only get invaded when you're hollow if 1) it's an NPC that supposed to invade everyone or 2) you're in an area that has a covenant protecting it. Otherwise, I've only gotten invaded when I was a human (who I took out rather easily)

Speaking of covenants, I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but it seems that the covenants are glitched for me. I'll try to be as vague as possible as to not give spoilers. I'm in the blue covenant and am wearing the ring for it, but I never get summoned to protect people that are being invaded. However when I went to the rat covenant area, I got summoned to fight against people in there (instead of with). Also, I joined the bell covenant to not get invaded in the area, but I still got invaded by other players. Anyone have similar experiences, or is this just me?

Edit: Replies don't seem to work properly in Firefox, nor do editing posts. Will have to use Chrome for now until this is fixed for me

Good, thanks. So I can scare them off a dozen times in my bumbling and still be able to get them once I realize they are there. Do they return after being killed in DS/DS2 though? I mean, you are saying "spawn counter" so I assume so - I really have no memory of that from Dark Souls one way or the other. I know in Demon's Souls they would come back after you cleared bosses. This gecko definitely wasn't there again after I killed that one boss.
In Demon's souls you got one freebie and then each time you killed a boss in that world it added one to the spawn counter of the crystal lizards in that world. In Dark souls I was remembering wrong, I thought it would respawn a set number of times, but each only respawns once per playthrough, but it is impossible to miss since it will only stop respawning if you kill it. I wonder if one were to use that item that respawns enemies in the area if it also brings back another crystal lizard spawn.

Everything that is old truly is new again isn't it, it's like the Talisman of Beasts :).

It seems that you only get invaded when you're hollow if 1) it's an NPC that supposed to invade everyone or 2) you're in an area that has a covenant protecting it. Otherwise, I've only gotten invaded when I was a human (who I took out rather easily) Speaking of covenants, I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but it seems that the covenants are glitched for me. I'll try to be as vague as possible as to not give spoilers. I'm in the blue covenant and am wearing the ring for it, but I never get summoned to protect people that are being invaded. However when I went to the rat covenant area, I got summoned to fight against people in there (instead of with). Also, I joined the bell covenant to not get invaded in the area, but I still got invaded by other players. Anyone have similar experiences, or is this just me?
You can get invaded anywhere as a hollow. ;) Its just that being hollow has a lower chance than the others factoring in how many times you have died.

Also, a possible reason why you are not being summoned in the Blue Sentinels is because the majority of the people switch over from the Way of the Blue once they discover the Blue Sentinels. Then it further divides into the future covenants they discover from there.

Rat and Bell are territorial PvP covenants. It doesn't matter if your in that covenant or not, any trespasser in their respective areas will get invaded. :D

So, for sure to get the pyromancy stuff you need to fall down the big hole (which you need the 11k soul ring to do?) Sigh - will take me a while to get to that point.

I just found the Pursuer and got my ass handed to me. I think maybe I hit him once, taking no more than 1/20th of his health. And he's kind of a pain to get back to - have to fight through those stupid halberd/spear guys. They aren't that hard - just annoying. I guess I could fight them repeatedly until they stop spawning and make it easier.

That Pursuer showed up on the one rooftop near the bonfire the very first time I went up there but I backed off the roof and he disappeared. Now he is only in the really far spot (through the mist). Can I get him back to the rooftop? That would be nice.

Otherwise, I'm kind of at an impasse. I can't fight the bosses in the tower area yet, and I seem to be stuck from advancing in Forest of Giants too. I guess I'll try the NPC in the circular area before the fortress...

OMG - never mind. He is a piece of cake with summon help :lol:

First I helped out. I was trying to help out on the first boss (tree thing) but the guy who summoned me went the other way and fought Pursuer instead. He got killed, but I was surprised I was allowed to do that. I thought you had to clear a boss first before it let you help on it. Strange. Anyway, I put my sign outside there and got called in again with another phantom and we creamed him in seconds. I hadn't noticed the ballista there before. Jodou, when you mentioned that I thought you meant you got him to follow you somehow to the trap area with the 4 or 5 ballistae.

Anyway, after that I didn't know you turned human again. So there I was outside his door again, in human form, and surrounded by summon signs (first time I had seen them). But just in case I didn't want to lose my souls so I went back to Majula, leveled up attunement 2 times (still no slot) and then went back. I got 2 guys and we finished him off even quicker this time. Two of us were on the ballistae pummeling him.

Wow, I had forgotten how much easier bosses are with help. I was almost embarrassed at how easy it was. And it would have been easy even without the ballistae.

So from that I had just enough souls to buy the cat ring (falling one). So now I'm set for a while. But I need to go back and explore the area past Pursuer though I didn't see much there. I noticed a second nest there (first was in tutorial area). I guess I should put the smooth stone thing there?

Wasn't invaded at all until I went to Belfry Luna. OMG crazy invasion city there for me.  Did I miss something or is that protected by one of the covenants?  I mean, I was hollow and had two invaders at once the first time in there.  Second time I had two as well and between those two and the mighty midgets, I was dead.

Probably would've survived the first invasion as the guy stunk at PvP, which says a lot because I'm not the Black Knight.  Regardless they only got me because I was unaware of the drop spot from above.

You can get invaded anywhere as a hollow. ;) Its just that being hollow has a lower chance than the others factoring in how many times you have died.

Also, a possible reason why you are not being summoned in the Blue Sentinels is because the majority of the people switch over from the Way of the Blue once they discover the Blue Sentinels. Then it further divides into the future covenants they discover from there.

Rat and Bell are territorial PvP covenants. It doesn't matter if your in that covenant or not, any trespasser in their respective areas will get invaded. :D
Hm, I see what you mean. Still, why would it make me spawn for the Rat covenant while I was part of the Blue Covenant and wearing its ring? That's just odd.

But I need to go back and explore the area past Pursuer though I didn't see much there. I noticed a second nest there (first was in tutorial area). I guess I should put the smooth stone thing there?
There's a few items around there (maybe two) if you drop down some (don't worry, you'll come back to somewhere you should recognize). You're actually supposed to examine the nest to get to another area, but I suggest going to

Heide's Tower and No Man's Wharf first

Wasn't invaded at all until I went to Belfry Luna. OMG crazy invasion city there for me. Did I miss something or is that protected by one of the covenants? I mean, I was hollow and had two invaders at once the first time in there.
Yep, it is. This happened to me too when I first went in there. I decided to cheat and disconnect while I figured everything out and killed all the NPCs.

If you try to be cheesy with ranged attacks (outside of rare occasions like shooting off dragon tails ;)), you make the game twice as hard on yourself.
Magic/faith is still PvE king for making the game easy. Not much mobs can do when they are instantly killed by spells from range.

So from that I had just enough souls to buy the car ring (falling one). So now I'm set for a while. But I need to go back and explore the area past Pursuer though I didn't see much there. I noticed a second nest there (first was in tutorial area). I guess I should put the smooth stone thing there?
'You should take a few steps forward' into it. ;)

Hm, I see what you mean. Still, why would it make me spawn for the Rat covenant while I was part of the Blue Covenant and wearing its ring? That's just odd.
You weren't in the Rat covenant. Members of that covenant can force other players to invade them. Thus, making you go through their traps and controlled mobs to finally get to them. :twisted:

bread's done
Back