Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

And in terms of Twinkling Titanite, I have not found a whole bunch. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on how to get more though I doubt it will be in large abundance.
Get small soapstone, be summoned, protect the host until time runs out / beat a boss to fulfill your duty, get a smooth and silky stone, trade stone with the crow for the chance to get twinkling from the prize table.

I'm hesitant to spend souls on stuff I don't need because of the soul level/memory thing. But if it is the one in the house by the pit I'll buy some junk from him if need be. How much stuff did you have to buy?
wiki says
Buy 16K worth of stuff, then approach him with zero souls
, then 'ol Gil will give you the armor.

guardian_owl said:
Get small soapstone, be summoned, protect the host until time runs out / beat a boss to fulfill your duty, get a smooth and silky stone, trade stone with the crow for the chance to get twinkling from the prize table.

wiki says
Buy 16K worth of stuff, then approach him with zero souls
, then 'ol Gil will give you the armor.
Ah, I have about 10 of those smooth and silky stones. I'll go cash those in next time I play. I was wondering what that small soapstone did. I had always used the larger one. I noticed that the smalls summon "Shades" though - I used one myself on a boss once.

Also, thanks for the merchant tip. I would have never come across that on my own - especially the
0 souls part - since I tend not to go to merchants when I have no money ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, large soapstone is a stable (unlimited) connection, small soap stone is an unstable (limited time) connection. I think you get small stones if you protect them until time runs out and you get normal stones if you beat a boss. I wasn't paying attention, after playing for awhile I had about half and half when I went to cash them in at the crow.

Doomtime said:
I've been using the Ring of Life Protection for infinite humanity. It breaks upon death, but unlike the last game you can repair it for just 3000 souls. All your souls are still with you as well.

I imagine it will be patched, but I've managed to save up on human effigies thanks to this method.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Ring+of+Life+Protection
Interesting - I've never used that ring in any of the games because I assumed it broke permanently (which I guess it did before). I probably won't use it much now either because I can usually get back to my bloodstain and regain the souls. And Human Effigy's don't seem too hard to find. I've used several and still have like 18 more. For one thing, I'm getting them as drops from the dog creatures in the Bastille. Now with the limited respawns I guess you can't farm anything indefinitely, but I think I probably have enough and will probably find more (plus you can buy 10 or so from the old woman merchant).

However, I might use this ring if I get to an area I'm not familiar with and have more than 3000 souls on hand. Or like you suggest if I just need to stay human for a while. I might want to use it retrying the Bastille boss trio since I've already blown through 2 effigy's doing that.

As for regaining humanity when helping as a summon - I know someone said that was a glitch. But I've had it happen 2 out of maybe 8 times so far when I wasn't already human.

I've been using the Ring of Life Protection for infinite humanity. It breaks upon death, but unlike the last game you can repair it for just 3000 souls. All your souls are still with you as well.

I imagine it will be patched, but I've managed to save up on human effigies thanks to this method.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Ring+of+Life+Protection
OH MY GOD!!! :shock: :whee:

I was hoping there was a merchant that sold these (like the guy in the bell tower in the first Dark Souls). But now that I found out about this, I am so excited.

I recently traded like 20 stones and got nothing good really. I got some weird chime/trident that its 2 handed power attack is this crazy dance that boosts everyones attack strength haha

I missed him too : /
Surprisingly he was still there and I was able to complete the questline. The only thing I seemed to miss was getting his full equipment set. Not a huge deal as it wasn't as good as the set im currently using. Only thing I got irked by is that "100% Critical attack" equipment piece just says it gives you the "chance of 100% critical attack" which is a hugely different thing.

For some reason my gametime & trophies havent been updating online. It gives me a syncing message everytime I pull up my trophies, but nothing seems to change on any website I look at (raptr also stopped tracking my gameplay).

Not to sound like Wombat when he complained about Ducktales and their non-moving bills/mouths on a CAGcast, but god damn it was fucking annoying when that old hag in the intro cutscene had her mouth randomly flapping around while she was speaking. I mean seriously, this is 2014 and you're working with CG... and that's the result? Jesus Christ on high.

Not to mention that the 'story' from the intro was... non-existent, at best. Demon's and Dark 1 hit you in the face pretty hard from the get go, setting up what happened to the world and why you're where you are. This... was just 'ur gon die. and go insane.' *cackle* *repeat a few times for extra melodrama huehuehue*. It's as if they hired a 12 year old fanfic writer for this shit.

The mo-cap and the character model just don't blend well with the surrounding environment, either. It's almost like I'm watching pre-rendered backgrounds with 90s CGI dancing around on top of it. It seriously hurts my brain.

Someone please tell me it gets better. I put probably 500 hours into Demon's and DkS1, but I'm not going to play the same game without any interest whatsoever in the game world, plus a few annoyances with the visuals. Is anything from the first game addressed, or is it as if nothing ever happened?

Not to sound like Wombat when he complained about Ducktales and their non-moving bills/mouths on a CAGcast, but god damn it was fucking annoying when that old hag in the intro cutscene had her mouth randomly flapping around while she was speaking. I mean seriously, this is 2014 and you're working with CG... and that's the result? Jesus Christ on high.

Not to mention that the 'story' from the intro was... non-existent, at best. Demon's and Dark 1 hit you in the face pretty hard from the get go, setting up what happened to the world and why you're where you are. This... was just 'ur gon die. and go insane.' *cackle* *repeat a few times for extra melodrama huehuehue*. It's as if they hired a 12 year old fanfic writer for this shit.

The mo-cap and the character model just don't blend well with the surrounding environment, either. It's almost like I'm watching pre-rendered backgrounds with 90s CGI dancing around on top of it. It seriously hurts my brain.

Someone please tell me it gets better. I put probably 500 hours into Demon's and DkS1, but I'm not going to play the same game without any interest whatsoever in the game world, plus a few annoyances with the visuals. Is anything from the first game addressed, or is it as if nothing ever happened?
Not sure if serious....

Interesting - I've never used that ring in any of the games because I assumed it broke permanently (which I guess it did before). I probably won't use it much now either because I can usually get back to my bloodstain and regain the souls. And Human Effigy's don't seem too hard to find. I've used several and still have like 18 more. For one thing, I'm getting them as drops from the dog creatures in the Bastille. Now with the limited respawns I guess you can't farm anything indefinitely, but I think I probably have enough and will probably find more (plus you can buy 10 or so from the old woman merchant).

However, I might use this ring if I get to an area I'm not familiar with and have more than 3000 souls on hand. Or like you suggest if I just need to stay human for a while. I might want to use it retrying the Bastille boss trio since I've already blown through 2 effigy's doing that.

As for regaining humanity when helping as a summon - I know someone said that was a glitch. But I've had it happen 2 out of maybe 8 times so far when I wasn't already human.
True, they're not too uncommon. I believe I ended up with around 40 effigies during my first playthrough.

I'm just stocking up on them in case From Soft decides to make them harder to find. And yeah on more than one occasion I'd use an effigy so I could summon someone only to be invaded seconds later and destroyed. :nottalking:

As for the limited respawns, there's actually a way around that. There's an item called the Bonfire Ascetic which will let you respawn enemies in a certain area. You just burn it at a bonfire in one of the areas that has been cleared out, though the catch is the monsters will respawn at a higher difficulty. The effects can never be reversed so if you're on your first playthrough and you want to use the Ascetic in the Forest of the Fallen Giants for instance, that area will always be one notch tougher on the difficulty scale. When you move on to NG+, the forest will increase to NG++.

Makes it even tougher, but it is beneficial as bosses drop rare items in areas where the Ascetic has been used. You can also farm the items from regular enemies once again.

I only ended up with 9 of them in my first playthrough so choose wisely.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bonfire+Ascetic

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68783205

List of boss drops after use of Bonfire Ascetic (first playthrough)

Mytha: Covetous Silver Ring +2 (actually killed her 5 times, and its 5 times the same item)

Pursuer: Ring of Blades (Also fought him again at his 3rd location and its still a Ring of Blades +0)
Lost Sinner: Old Witch Soul
Belfry Gargoyles: Covetous Gold Ring +2
Executioners Chariot: Cloranthy Ring +2
Skeleton Lords: Clear Blue Stone Ring +2 (fast casting, awesome item!)
Old Iron King: Old King Soul(duplicate of the one you usually get in Amana after beating Vendrick)
Scorpioness Najka: Southern Ritual Band +2
Freya: Old Paledrake Soul
Rotten: Old Dead One Soul
Throne Watcher/Defender: Ring Of The Evil Eye +2
Velstadt: Royal Soldier Ring +2
Giant Lord: Ring Of Giants +2
Looking Glass Knight: Ring Of Steel Protection +2

Yeah, I'm going to hold off on the ascetics for now - at least until NG+ probably.

So, I was looking at the covenant rewards on the wiki, and some have ridiculous requirements - and the "prizes" from leveling up are needed for some trophies (the spells and miracles ones, mostly). So it looks like they made this game much, much harder than Dark Souls to platinum (which I did). And that game wasn't a walk in the park either. In Dark Souls a few covenant rewards were required, but, for example, if you didn't want to do PvP, you could farm the rewards from the covenant off of certain mobs and turn them in for the covenant.

On the Wiki I'm only seeing mob drops for the Sun medals. Those I can actually get the normal way. Maybe people just haven't discovered them yet (there are lots of blank pages on the Wiki), but I'm hoping there are farmable items for all the PvP covenants, at least. Of course the limited respawns makes that much harder to do. I remember one item in particular you had to farm in that dream world place in Dark Souls and it took me a long time to get what I needed. Bonfire ascetics may become a necessity at that point.

Yeah, I'm going to hold off on the ascetics for now - at least until NG+ probably.

So, I was looking at the covenant rewards on the wiki, and some have ridiculous requirements - and the "prizes" from leveling up are needed for some trophies (the spells and miracles ones, mostly). So it looks like they made this game much, much harder than Dark Souls to platinum (which I did). And that game wasn't a walk in the park either. In Dark Souls a few covenant rewards were required, but, for example, if you didn't want to do PvP, you could farm the rewards from the covenant off of certain mobs and turn them in for the covenant.

On the Wiki I'm only seeing mob drops for the Sun medals. Those I can actually get the normal way. Maybe people just haven't discovered them yet (there are lots of blank pages on the Wiki), but I'm hoping there are farmable items for all the PvP covenants, at least. Of course the limited respawns makes that much harder to do. I remember one item in particular you had to farm in that dream world place in Dark Souls and it took me a long time to get what I needed. Bonfire ascetics may become a necessity at that point.
Judging by how everything is structured I would imagine the Bonfire Ascetics would indeed be a necessity especially if looking to 100% the game.

I would be extremely surprised if you could somehow do it without every burning one.

Once you level up more though I am sure it wont be as bad.

So, now that we all have had about a week with the game we should post our gear and stuff that we are using. I am curious to see the builds everyone has.

I have basically all my points in Vitality, Strength and Dexterity and am sitting at SL 120

My armor is Vengarl's entire set except for the gloves which are the Drangleic ones. The chest and helmet are leveled to +2 I believe and that is about it.

I primarily use my Compound Bow +8 and the Heilde Sword +8. If I decide to equip a shield it is usually the one from the black armor pack with all of the chains and stuff haha completely forgot the name. I can't recall the rings I use at the moment but basically anything to increase stamina, life and equipment burden.

I try and get a few quick shots in with my bow and then rush in to finish most enemies off with my sword.

I originally wanted to play as an Ultra Greatsword user but decided to play through at least one time to figure out what I would even want my equipment to be and what not and see the different weapons and armors available.

Also, I saw in the loading screen a shield that seemed similar to the Grass Crest Shield, one that increases stamina recovery. Has anyone found such a shield yet? I would really like to have that!

Speaking of that gaggle of soldiers in Bastille, I got overrun by them too, that's what caused me to give up progressing along that path and try the tower of flame.
The ones with the longswords? They are easily dealt with by just going over the stairs. They all fall down one or two at a time and almost always do a roll.

And in terms of Twinkling Titanite, I have not found a whole bunch. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on how to get more though I doubt it will be in large abundance.
I got a lot from the crows and you can farm them in Shrine of Amana. It made decent use of all the luck coins I've gathered. :)

I only ended up with 9 of them in my first playthrough so choose wisely.
You can find a bit of them throughout and buy a lot of them from merchants. No need to be frugal with them. :p

So I am already having withdrawals hahah.

I have played this every day since release but yesterday I was super busy and couldn't ignore my responsibilities like I did last week, and it will be the same case for tonight and tomorrow!!!

Damn life, don't you know Dark Souls needs to be played???

Also, I saw in the loading screen a shield that seemed similar to the Grass Crest Shield, one that increases stamina recovery. Has anyone found such a shield yet? I would really like to have that!
There's three of those shields iirc. They show up mid-late game though. Pretty great when your two-handing. I also like the the magic parry shields too. It always surprises magic spammers when I parry their great/heavy soul arrows or lightning spears right back at them for an easy 1-hit KO. :lol:

There's three of those shields iirc. They show up mid-late game though. Pretty great when your two-handing. I also like the the magic parry shields too. It always surprises magic spammers when I parry their great/heavy soul arrows or lightning spears right back at them for an easy 1-hit KO. :lol:
Hm, I am already at the castle I am surprised I haven't found one at least yet.

And when I got one of the shields that said it parries magic I got all excited. I haven't tried it yet in PvP but I can imagine it is amazing.

Speaking of shields, the Porcine Shield that you get near the Smelter Demon says it 'may spook an unsuspecting foe.' Has anyone figured out if this shield has a similar impact as
fire does on those crazy long armed things?

So I am already having withdrawals hahah.

I have played this every day since release but yesterday I was super busy and couldn't ignore my responsibilities like I did last week, and it will be the same case for tonight and tomorrow!!!

Damn life, don't you know Dark Souls needs to be played???
Heh, now you know how I felt going on vacation for 3 days, 2 days after the game came out. You got pretty far in , at least, sounds like.

I beat The Pursuer last night, but I didn't end up getting to explore a whole new area like I was hoping, since
it just leads to a very small section of the Lost Bastille
that I hadn't seen yet, but then quickly connected with the rest of that level that I had already gone through.

I did get to Sinner's Rise and explored that watery hell-hole, but got my ass handed to me by the boss. Might be time to finally explore that well in Majula.

Heh, now you know how I felt going on vacation for 3 days, 2 days after the game came out. You got pretty far in , at least, sounds like.

I beat The Pursuer last night, but I didn't end up getting to explore a whole new area like I was hoping, since
it just leads to a very small section of the Lost Bastille
that I hadn't seen yet, but then quickly connected with the rest of that level that I had already gone through.

I did get to Sinner's Rise and explored that watery hell-hole, but got my ass handed to me by the boss. Might be time to finally explore that well in Majula.
Hah yeah I got pretty far but I too am going on a short trip this weekend now as well! Haha I had a full week with the game almost and then a full week off : p

Yeah the Last Sinner is a tough boss, though with summons it is not nearly as bad since his focus isn't directly on you.

I love how you can take this game in whatever way really. Like I didn't fight the Last Sinner until WELL AFTER going down the well and exploring and defeating all of the bosses including the Rotten. Like there is a set path you can take according to the devs I am sure that is the most gradual hike in difficulty but really you can do whatever. Like in Dark Souls the first are I explored was the graveyard and below... which let me tell you was a pain but it made the game that much more awesome!

Ah the Souls series. So good so good haha

Hm, I am already at the castle I am surprised I haven't found one at least yet.
I think two merchants sell 2/3 of those shields, but the last one I think drops from a mob. I'm unsure on the last shield though since I pick up everything.

Hah yeah I got pretty far but I too am going on a short trip this weekend now as well! Haha I had a full week with the game almost and then a full week off : p

Yeah the Last Sinner is a tough boss, though with summons it is not nearly as bad since his focus isn't directly on you.

I love how you can take this game in whatever way really. Like I didn't fight the Last Sinner until WELL AFTER going down the well and exploring and defeating all of the bosses including the Rotten. Like there is a set path you can take according to the devs I am sure that is the most gradual hike in difficulty but really you can do whatever. Like in Dark Souls the first are I explored was the graveyard and below... which let me tell you was a pain but it made the game that much more awesome!

Ah the Souls series. So good so good haha
Last Sinner was annoying to me because I had to keep a certain NPC alive for a trophy. Sinner just went to town on the NPC until I realized wearing the aggro ring made it a lot easier.

Anyway, I enjoy the openness tribute to the original DS versus DkS choke point funneling into Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. Although in DkS defense, I enjoyed the bosses a lot more than any of the ones I've encountered so far in DkSII: Ornstein <3, Artorias <3, and Manus.

I think two merchants sell 2/3 of those shields, but the last one I think drops from a mob.

Last Sinner was annoying to me because I had to keep a certain NPC alive for a trophy. Sinner just went to town on the NPC until I realized wearing the aggro ring made it a lot easier.

Anyway, I enjoy the openness tribute to the original DS versus DkS choke point funneling into Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. Although in DkS defense, I enjoyed the bosses a lot more than any of the ones I've encountered so far in DkSII. Hyper-Ornstein, Artorias <3, and Manus.
When I get back on Thursday night I will hunt down all of the merchants and check!

Completely agree with the comparisons.

I like all of the bosses here in Dark Souls 2 but they don't have that lasting feel. Like when I kill them they are dead okay whatever whereas in Dark Souls I would still be going on in my head about some of those intense bosses. To their credit I do enjoy the designs of them all here just not AS much as Dark Souls. Though I haven't finished yet. I think I have fought some 22 bosses or so and I know there are still a handful more so I reserve judgement until I am 100% done haha

You can find a bit of them throughout and buy a lot of them from merchants. No need to be frugal with them. :p
Ok that's good to hear. I didn't pay any attention to them until I read about it towards the end of the game.

@Broly- I'll post my build when I get home tonight. Stuck at work :beer:

Ok that's good to hear. I didn't pay any attention to them until I read about it towards the end of the game.

@Broly- I'll post my build when I get home tonight. Stuck at work :beer:
Since I can't play Dark Souls at work (and wont get a chance until Thursday night now) I have this and a few other sites open up on my second monitor permanently this week to get my fix :joystick: haha

Since I can't play Dark Souls at work (and wont get a chance until Thursday night now) I have this and a few other sites open up on my second monitor permanently this week to get my fix :joystick: haha
Yeah I lurk Gamefaqs. Toxic community with useful info I'd never discover myself. :D/

Yeah I lurk Gamefaqs. Toxic community with useful info I'd never discover myself. :D/
Hah I don't want things spoiled though so my lurking is extremely limited by nature!

If I weren't so busy at work I would probably drawing out some sweet fight scenes of my favorite battles so far haha

I think it might also be that so many of the boss lair's are so uninspired and/or small, perhaps that changes as you do deeper

I've beaten/faced 6 or so bosses and pretty much the only boss area that sticks out as slightly memorable is the room with all the stone rats. I also haven't heard any boss tunes yet that have stuck in my head.

I think it might also be that so many of the boss lair's are so uninspired and/or small, perhaps that changes as you do deeper

I've beaten/faced 6 or so bosses and pretty much the only boss area that sticks out as slightly memorable is the room with all the stone rats. I also haven't heard any boss tunes yet that have stuck in my head.
That is a good point. There are a few that are cooler later but I think since there are so many more bosses than before, the areas for them are indeed much less intense and memorable since they are more frequent.

Not sure if serious....
I'm serious. Loved the first two, but I just don't see a point in playing the same game for the third time if there's absolutely no premise for doing so. If I wanted to do that, I could just pop in the first two games and play them again.

In short, I'm becoming a cranky old man. My patience for this sort of stuff is nowhere near where it was when I was younger.

Where do I buy lifegems? I am out of them and the game is kicking my ass.
The old hag lady in the early area of the Forest of Fallen Giants or whatever the name. Talk to her a bunch until she is out of dialogue and then she will make her way back to Majula. From there she has an unlimited supply of lifegems to buy.

I'm serious. Loved the first two, but I just don't see a point in playing the same game for the third time if there's absolutely no premise for doing so. If I wanted to do that, I could just pop in the first two games and play them again.

In short, I'm becoming a cranky old man. My patience for this sort of stuff is nowhere near where it was when I was younger.
Hah damn alright.

Well I feel there is a bunch of stuff added to this game to justify a playthrough. The main draw for me with the Souls series was exploration and feeling accomplished with nearly every action. The world is all new and the story develops quite a bit over time through the dialogue and what not.

To each his own however, the world needs cranky old men too ; P

A huge part of the appeal for these games for me is not knowing where to go or what traps exist or where the enemies are, though. Once you've explored everywhere and you know all the enemy positions/scripted actions, the game becomes much less fun (unless you just want to PvP or do a challenge run or something). So that's something the first two games obviously can't give you.

I dunno about the story here. The first two games hid the story almost completely, though, and you had to figure it out via item descriptions and observing the environments, though. So I'd expect the same here.

I just had one of the most stressful times with the boss of the PotD covenant sidequest.   On my 4th time fighting him, I got lucky to where he didn't split into two in order to attack me separately.  I ended up killing him with me only having a tiny sliver of health, but somehow he still managed to get a shot off and killed me while he was dead.   Needless to say, I was angry.  Another 7 attempts and he's started splitting again and I'm getting wrecked. On my next try, I finally killed him again and had a decent health, however for some reason the split enemy I wasn't attacking didn't go through the death animation the one I was attacking did and still managed a black hole attack which managed to kill me right after the "You Achieved Victory" message popped up. Now, I was ready to throw my controller through my tv.

A few more attempts later, I had a decent thing going, using my small attacks to slowly chip away and keep him from splitting, then once he split I just laid on him with my strongest attacks until they were at about 30% health.  From there I just took my time using homing arrows while trying to force them into melee attacks (as their melee attacks were super easy to dodge) and with almost full health I was able to take them out.  This time, once I killed them, I ran my ass away as fast as I could to prevent any more post-death surprises.  Once the victory message & soul drop message popped up I jumped out of my chair and let out a "YES!" so loud I'm sure the neighbors down the street heard it.

I just had one of the most stressful times with the boss of the PotD covenant sidequest. On my 4th time fighting him, I got lucky to where he didn't split into two in order to attack me separately. I ended up killing him with me only having a tiny sliver of health, but somehow he still managed to get a shot off and killed me while he was dead. Needless to say, I was angry. Another 7 attempts and he's started splitting again and I'm getting wrecked. On my next try, I finally killed him again and had a decent health, however for some reason the split enemy I wasn't attacking didn't go through the death animation the one I was attacking did and still managed a black hole attack which managed to kill me right after the "You Achieved Victory" message popped up. Now, I was ready to throw my controller through my tv.

A few more attempts later, I had a decent thing going, using my small attacks to slowly chip away and keep him from splitting, then once he split I just laid on him with my strongest attacks until they were at about 30% health. From there I just took my time using homing arrows while trying to force them into melee attacks (as their melee attacks were super easy to dodge) and with almost full health I was able to take them out. This time, once I killed them, I ran my ass away as fast as I could to prevent any more post-death surprises. Once the victory message & soul drop message popped up I jumped out of my chair and let out a "YES!" so loud I'm sure the neighbors down the street heard it.
I had a similar experience though not quite as tragic haha

When fighting Duke's Dear Freja I kept getting so close to killing her. Then when I finally did I was all excited and not even paying attention when one spider that was still left lunged at me and brought me to the point where I had almost no visible health left. I was so close to literally pooping my pants hahaha. I like regripped the controller fully and just darted away to heal and then was sure to kill it carefully.

A huge part of the appeal for these games for me is not knowing where to go or what traps exist or where the enemies are, though. Once you've explored everywhere and you know all the enemy positions/scripted actions, the game becomes much less fun (unless you just want to PvP or do a challenge run or something). So that's something the first two games obviously can't give you.

I dunno about the story here. The first two games hid the story almost completely, though, and you had to figure it out via item descriptions and observing the environments, though. So I'd expect the same here.
and supposedly on NG+, things will change, added enemies and changes in enemy placement.

^ If you are having trouble with normal mobs, then they must be super-tough. I'm curious to see that part now!
They're not hard per se, it's that they spawn in pairs so it was time consuming and annoying. Much more hilarious seeing them roll off the bridge instead. BTW, I'm like level 110 now with zero points spent on VGR and it's rare that I get one shot by anything, even while 2H stance. If I do, it's because I'm being bad.

That rat covenant is griefer central. I got summoned twice while making my way to the boss and all nerds in there do is throw the item degrade pots at you while running away towards their traps. I got bored with them and just killed myself to get out. Not wasting my time on worthless pvp lol. I think it bugged my game too because I was reading a black phantom should have spawned towards the entrance to the boss yet one never did for me. Seriously, if I need to play their game offline just to get content to spawn without it glitching because bads want to troll, then I will.

I also got legitimately stuck on the smelter boss for two hours because of glitches and bad RNG. While dodge rolling his forward thrust attack (not downward swing), you can not get hit but still collide with his sword model so that you're pushed backward towards the wall. I got stuck in the wall because of this about ten times over the course of my wipes on him and once you're stuck, you're dead; nothing you can do to get out. And the only reason I was dying repeatedly was partially learning the timing on his attacks but mostly that the arena is too small. Greatsword enemies are especially difficult to dodge properly as melee and circle strafing while dodging is the ONLY way to do it, but when he would get close to a wall I'd need to bait him back towards the middle. In doing so, I open myself up to making dodging harder as I close the gap and his ranged attack, that since the distance from him to me is variable, changes the timing of dodging. I died a lot to that just because of timing it perfectly was constantly changing speeds. Did I mention I was 2H stance for every attempt and not using the flame ring or any spells for fire resist? :lol:

That said, easily my favorite fight so far since it actually wasn't rollface. They need more fights that force you to not rely on shields and percentage based phases. Learning that fight was the most fun I've had all game. I just wish the arena were more open because once I had him in the rhythm of being toe-to-toe, I'm a dodge master.

Lastly, my gear is Drangleic Greatsword +2 (raw infused: boosted the attack nearly 25 points over scaling for now), Drangleic shield (for the 100% physical mitigation; haven't needed to swap to silver black shield for the high magic resist yet), Merchant hat (for the item increase), full Drangleic suit (no upgrades), silver covetous ring (10% increased souls; works on bosses), ring of binding (required for effective health since I'm fully hollowed 100% of the time), ring of blades (+20 base attack on weapon), and I swap the cloranthy ring (I maxed my stamina at 120 before diminishing returns set in for only 1 stamina per point of endurance) for the cat ring when needed. My stats are 12 VGR (starting value), 20 END (this gets you 120 stamina before diminishing returns), 21 VIT (enough that I can swap rings without going over 70% weight threshold), 13 ATT (such a worthless stat; this should have been baked into INT/FAITH for spell slots), 30 STR (was experimenting with greatshields, this will be dropped after a respec), 25 DEX (to use dragon rider bow I think), 10 ADP (until I see people with some math on this for roll cap breaks, not bothering), 18 INT (was speccing for moonlight GS before I knew about respecs heh), 18 FAITH (for homeward and slightly more healing from heal).

I'm almost to shady forest and finally the area I've been wanting since the start of the game is after that. I plan to beat that place and use a NG+ bonfire item so I can get the pale soul I need to buy moonlight greatsword. Then it'll be time to respec and rape in pvp. :twisted:

Supplice said:
I just got to Sinners last night. Who is the NPC? I'm still trying to find out if covenant items are farmable before I decide I'm going to go for the platinum, but it would be nice to see if I could get this done in the mean time anyway.

Jodou said:
Lastly, my gear is Drangleic Greatsword +2 (raw infused: boosted the attack nearly 25 points over scaling for now), Drangleic shield (for the 100% physical mitigation; haven't needed to swap to silver black shield for the high magic resist yet), Merchant hat (for the item increase), full Drangleic suit (no upgrades), silver covetous ring (10% increased souls; works on bosses), ring of binding (required for effective health since I'm fully hollowed 100% of the time), ring of blades (+20 base attack on weapon), and I swap the cloranthy ring (I maxed my stamina at 120 before diminishing returns set in for only 1 stamina per point of endurance) for the cat ring when needed. My stats are 12 VGR (starting value), 20 END (this gets you 120 stamina before diminishing returns), 21 VIT (enough that I can swap rings without going over 70% weight threshold), 13 ATT (such a worthless stat; this should have been baked into INT/FAITH for spell slots), 30 STR (was experimenting with greatshields, this will be dropped after a respec), 25 DEX (to use dragon rider bow I think), 10 ADP (until I see people with some math on this for roll cap breaks, not bothering), 18 INT (was speccing for moonlight GS before I knew about respecs heh), 18 FAITH (for homeward and slightly more healing from heal).
Wow - I've been building nearly the same as you. I didn't know about that Merchant Hat though. I just got that Vangarl's helmet thing and was using that. If I switch to that hat it will decrease my defense but give me more weight allowance to use a different sword/shield. Thanks for the info on Endurance. It is good to know there is a "max" that I am not that far away from. Otherwise I was aiming for 18 Faith as well (think I'm at 17 now). I have a way to go with STR and DEX though. I'm still using the Fire Sword (at +3 now) but will probably move on to something else soon.

So I got my first two PSN messages from people in-game last night. The first was "y ru yellow?" (since I was in the sun covenant and he summoned me). The second said simply "terrible" after I summoned two phantoms for the trio boss in Lost Bastille and died about half way through the fight. I'm not sure if he was referring to me, the other guy (who died quickly) or the fight overall. I actually did much better that time than previously. I was pissed at the guy who wrote me because he bailed off the platform while me and the other phantom tried to take out the one up there first. That is better than going off and getting all 3 after you at once. He just went down to the bottom and sat in a corner while the one on the platform knocked me off and killed the other phantom. Then me and him were trying to take on all 3 down below and I didn't see one on the side that hit me.

I went back in right away with 2 other phantoms (I saw the same guy but passed him up) and we won the fight pretty easily that time.

Is it just me, or does messaging people using PSN about (and especially during) this game just seem like bad form? It kind of takes away from the solitary feeling (even with summons) and limited communication purposely built into the game. Unless it is a CAG or someone else I know and we're trading or something, I don't want to communicate with other players beyond the customary bow when summoning.

That rat covenant is griefer central. I got summoned twice while making my way to the boss and all nerds in there do is throw the item degrade pots at you while running away towards their traps. I got bored with them and just killed myself to get out. Not wasting my time on worthless pvp lol. I think it bugged my game too because I was reading a black phantom should have spawned towards the entrance to the boss yet one never did for me. Seriously, if I need to play their game offline just to get content to spawn without it glitching because bads want to troll, then I will.
For anyone who finds themselves in this position, the black separation crystal is your friend. There's no need to feed the filthy rats a free win. I've had a few people warp out of my game using it while I let them deal with the rats in the very first section before approaching. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but it's certainly worth trying.

I've received quite a few bitchy PSN messages from people that I killed as a rat, despite the fact that I usually went out of my way to make it a fair fight every time, rather than using the many, dirty tricks available. I'm down to only needing five more tails, maybe I'll try being a sneaky rat bastard for a while.

NG+ players can't interact with those in NG. NG+ has its own pool of players: summoning, invading, SL/SM. But yeah, also more enemies and such. 

NG+ players can't interact with those in NG. NG+ has its own pool of players: summoning, invading, SL/SM. But yeah, also more enemies and such.
Ah, interesting.

Is it strictly NG and NG+ in general or does each subsequent '+' have its own as well?

I believe its just NG and NG+ in general according to what the director said. Thank goodness.
Ah that is good. That would be a bit ridiculous if there was one for each playthrough.

Ugh, I can't wait until Thursday night when I can splurge and play againnnnnn

Oh man, I just realized I accidentally killed a friendly NPC.

I was going back through the Shaded Woods to look more thoroughly since I basically sped through there. I had jumped down from the bonfire in the Ruin area, un-petrified one of those lion enemies, beat him, and got a treasure (not sure what). I then started walking inward through a small area. There were some messages on the floor to be wary of an enemy ahead. From afar, I saw some scorpion looking guy. Unfortunately for me, this seems to be the Manscorpion Tark. I mean, the fact that the boss in this area is a female scorpion had me freaked out (along with already being afraid of scorpions naturally), so I shot him from far away with arrows and eventually beat him. He dropped the Second Dragon Ring (which was apparently acquired in a quest later).

Was this guy important at all? (It seems I get a gesture from him) Does using a bonfire ascetic respawn him too? Could I have gone to the cat in Majula to reset him being mad at me? (I know it is too late, but it would be useful for next time if I'm unsure)

Oh man, I just realized I accidentally killed a friendly NPC.

I was going back through the Shaded Woods to look more thoroughly since I basically sped through there. I had jumped down from the bonfire in the Ruin area, un-petrified one of those lion enemies, beat him, and got a treasure (not sure what). I then started walking inward through a small area. There were some messages on the floor to be wary of an enemy ahead. From afar, I saw some scorpion looking guy. Unfortunately for me, this seems to be the Manscorpion Tark. I mean, the fact that the boss in this area is a female scorpion had me freaked out (along with already being afraid of scorpions naturally), so I shot him from far away with arrows and eventually beat him. He dropped the Second Dragon Ring (which was apparently acquired in a quest later).

Was this guy important at all? (It seems I get a gesture from him) Does using a bonfire ascetic respawn him too? Could I have gone to the cat in Majula to reset him being mad at me? (I know it is too late, but it would be useful for next time if I'm unsure)
I killed the Gyrn guy in the Wharf from afar because I thought he was bad. The next time I returned there, a gravestone was where he was and by paying souls I was able to bring his spirit there and function as though he were there. Perhaps this will happen with the Manscorpion?

I killed the Gyrn guy in the Wharf from afar because I thought he was bad. The next time I returned there, a gravestone was where he was and by paying souls I was able to bring his spirit there and function as though he were there. Perhaps this will happen with the Manscorpion?
Oh, I'll go check that out. If this is a feature that was added in the game for all NPCs, that's pretty good.

BrolyB593 said:
Hah - I almost did the same thing. I started shooting arrows at him from below because that house was infested with those nasty spider things and I thought he was just another one hiding around the corner. Luckily part of the window blocked my shots and I decided to go melee him instead. Then I realized he wasn't a spider ;).

But good on them for adding this feature if it applies to all NPCs. I wonder if that is a good way to get some of the special items they have (that you only get when you kill them) but still be able to interact/buy stuff from them anyway?

I also find it funny how many bloodstains I find around NPCs in areas where there are otherwise no enemies. I guess lots of people attack them and don't fare too well ;).

bread's done
Back