Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

But good on them for adding this feature if it applies to all NPCs. I wonder if that is a good way to get some of the special items they have (that you only get when you kill them) but still be able to interact/buy stuff from them anyway?
Not all the NPCs have graves. Eh, From has gone Soft. :nottalking: :D/

This guy:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68827157

thinks you should put Adaptability up to 35. Mine is at 10 - I made it that way just to get it out of single digits ;).
Gamefaqs still making claims without testing still? Seems legit.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a pretty good thread on Reddit about ADP with side by side video testing.  The videos actually made it seem like it wasn't too worth it, even though shield raising, estus drinking, etc were faster.  However, they also didn't take into account iFrames.  

Personally, I started at 3 (Bandit) and raised mine to 21 (I think?) so far, and it seems to have made a big difference to me.  However, it might just be that I'm getting used to the changed control mechanics from Dark Souls.  I am certainly having more success dodging and rolling.

Last night wasn't a great play session for me.  Took me way too long to get down the well - didn't realize you have to be full human and I tried lots of times as a hollow.  Than I died many many times in the Upper Gutter.  Those pink dog things are bullshit with their hit box and attack range.  They hit all the time even when nowhere near you or facing the other way.  Ah, well.  

Ya, they went a little crazy with fall damage. I was getting frustrated with a level the first day I was playing (trying to make that jump in forest of the giants after the Heide Knight) so I decided to go back and play the tutorial section I skipped over. Well there are several drops there that are near fatal if you have near default vigor and are already at 50% HP from deaths.

This guy:

thinks you should put Adaptability up to 35. Mine is at 10 - I made it that way just to get it out of single digits ;).
I was waiting until the verdict was truly in on this stat before I put much in. Lately I have been going bow crazy, trying it on even enemies up close for fun and I feel like high Adaptability would probably benefit that playstyle. Right now I think I got mine to ten and then stopped; I had the same mindset as you hahah get it to double digits then stop.

Ya, they went a little crazy with fall damage. I was getting frustrated with a level the first day I was playing (trying to make that jump in forest of the giants after the Heide Knight) so I decided to go back and play the tutorial section I skipped over. Well there are several drops there that are near fatal if you have near default vigor and are already at 50% HP from deaths.
They have both the Cat Ring and they now have Cat pants or whatever they are called that also decrease fall damage if you are overly worried of that. Plus with the Ring of Binding you will never be stuck at 50% health anyway.

Yeah, but even with Cat Ring and Ring of Binding, you can't get down the well as Hollow.  At least now I know, which is good because I'm going to have to do it at least twice more in NG (once for the ledge I skipped where you have a choice of which way to fall, and once for the stone door that was locked that I'll have to come back to at some point, I assume).

Yeah, but even with Cat Ring and Ring of Binding, you can't get down the well as Hollow. At least now I know, which is good because I'm going to have to do it at least twice more in NG (once for the ledge I skipped where you have a choice of which way to fall, and once for the stone door that was locked that I'll have to come back to at some point, I assume).
If I recall correctly you come at that ledge from the other side. I am not 100% though. I just remember wandering around and thinking I was coming somewhere new and I ended at a ledge in the middle of the well that had nothing there haha

This guy:

So it sounds like to me this is just a booster for bad players. I'm at cove now without needing any ADP to get through the game, because with correct timing I've been able to dodge any attack with proper positioning. Estus consumption isn't an issue if you're not getting hit and learning to not freak out when you're low while engaged and just bait an attack to give you time to drink is key.

So now that I have the badass shield that is Havel's, I'm seriously considering just pumping up VIT to use it. I've always loved this shield in each game and this time it has some sick magic resist to boot. In PvP, I don't think any shield has it beat but it is super weighty. Gonna get my STR to 45 and play around with stats from there to see what comes of it. I'm not sure if it still holds true, but in previous games having a strong shield on your back added protection during backstabs. I'd plan to be 2H stance during pvp unless I was closing the gap on a ranged player so that would be the ideal.

So it sounds like to me this is just a booster for bad players.
I wouldn't say that at all myself. First it makes you sound awfully elitist. Though the irony is ridiculous then as your Occupation on CAG here is listed as 'Elitist' hah.

Either way though, by allocating a stat into Adaptability, that is one not adding to health or strength or anything else. It balances itself out by having that an actual stat. I can imagine a super high adaptability dagger wielding back stabber build would be super fun to play as. You would have little to no defense and very little attack as well. Just pure Adaptability and Endurance (or whatever the stamina one is now, Vigor I believe?). I do not see how that is in any way a booster for bad players but rather just another level of customization.

Lately I have been going bow crazy, trying it on even enemies up close for fun and I feel like high Adaptability would probably benefit that playstyle. Right now I think I got mine to ten and then stopped; I had the same mindset as you hahah get it to double digits then stop.
I actually met a duelist once that used double crossbows in a power stance. I actually let him live longer than he was supposed so I could see his technique. It was pretty neat. I could easily see it working when your invading someone and using mobs to your advantage.

I actually met a duelist once that used double crossbows in a power stance. I actually let him live longer than he was supposed so I could see his technique. It was pretty neat. I could easily see it working when your invading someone and using mobs to your advantage.
Hah that sounds really fun to mess around with! I love finding crazy builds in PvP

I wouldn't say that at all myself. First it makes you sound awfully elitist. Though the irony is ridiculous then as your Occupation on CAG here is listed as 'Elitist' hah.

Either way though, by allocating a stat into Adaptability, that is one not adding to health or strength or anything else. It balances itself out by having that an actual stat. I can imagine a super high adaptability dagger wielding back stabber build would be super fun to play as. You would have little to no defense and very little attack as well. Just pure Adaptability and Endurance (or whatever the stamina one is now, Vigor I believe?). I do not see how that is in any way a booster for bad players but rather just another level of customization.
What I mean is ADP adds speed bonuses and lessens handicaps, such as giving more leeway on roll timing. Quite honestly, the stat shouldn't exist if they were going for a level playing field. Then again, it's all pure speculation on my part with the information given but if true it would seem to me that ADP of some level would be required in every PvP build. And that to me is bad design.

SL 135

VGR 25

END 34

VIT 32

ATN 10

STR 40

DEX 18

ADP 20

INT 3

FTH 6

I'll be lowering ADP when I respec since I'm already incredibly slow. Boosted VIT so I could get my equip load up to 85 lbs. Right now I'm just adding to END and VGR.

Alternating between the Pursuer's Greatsword +3 and the Drakekeeper's Greataxe +5. My secondary weapons are the Craftman's Hammer +4 when I need to be a little quicker in pvp and I've leveled the Dark pyromancy flame to +6 so far. I'm using the Rebel Greatshield +10, though I plan to drop that for the Pursuer's shield in NG+. 

Wearing the Smelter Demon Armor set. 

I win about half of my duels. I can absorb the hits of most spells though poison pyro+a poison weapon really screws me. From what I've seen, everyone uses some sort of pyro just to add in that extra element in duels. 

There seems to be a code of conduct among the elitist Dark Souls community where if you're in a duel and you want to heal, think again. I've gotten a few death threats since casters will give me more than enough time to get a flask off. Heal away, I say.  :spam:

So I tried to see if Manscorpion had a grave so I could revive him, but he didn't. :cry:

I do have a tip for another friendly NPC I found that I almost killed while also in the Shaded Woods ruin area. If you played the original Dark Souls and are that far into the game, I would suggest reading this as the NPC looks like an enemy from that game.

If you drop down the hole that has the basilisks (frogs), there's a door you can use the Fang Key (dropped by one of the lion enemies that's petrified) on. Inside, there's a harpy. I attacked it since it looked just like an enemy from the original game, but then I noticed I could talk to it. So I stepped back a bit to stop aggro-ing it, then talked to it. She thanked me for freeing her and told me to meet her at her house for a reward later. So yeah, don't attack after opening that door.

Also, I saw some guy on a throne on the other side of the cave. I couldn't get to him, but I wonder if I walk around elsewhere if I can get up there.

So I tried to see if Manscorpion had a grave so I could revive him, but he didn't. :cry:

I do have a tip for another friendly NPC I found that I almost killed while also in the Shaded Woods ruin area. If you played the original Dark Souls and are that far into the game, I would suggest reading this as the NPC looks like an enemy from that game.

If you drop down the hole that has the basilisks (frogs), there's a door you can use the Fang Key (dropped by one of the lion enemies that's petrified) on. Inside, there's a harpy. I attacked it since it looked just like an enemy from the original game, but then I noticed I could talk to it. So I stepped back a bit to stop aggro-ing it, then talked to it. She thanked me for freeing her and told me to meet her at her house for a reward later. So yeah, don't attack after opening that door.

Also, I saw some guy on a throne on the other side of the cave. I couldn't get to him, but I wonder if I walk around elsewhere if I can get up there.
In response to the spoiler

Hah I know she threw me off too. I love the weird voice and dialogue she has. Her and Straid are the two merchants who trade boss souls so I bet she would have a grave if you were to actually kill her.

In terms of that guy, there is a small hole in the ground that you fall through and get to him. It is in front of the right tower before the path the Scorpion Lady Boss.

You find him three times total (gulch and castle drangleic) and he invites you to the dark covenant that opens up a whole new area actually

There seems to be a code of conduct among the elitist Dark Souls community where if you're in a duel and you want to heal, think again. I've gotten a few death threats since casters will give me more than enough time to get a flask off. Heal away, I say.
Its been an established rule since Demon's Souls for dueling. For invasions or rat/bell summoning..whatever, anything goes.

Its been an established rule since Demon's Souls for dueling. For invasions or rat-summoning..whatever, anything goes
More often than not, people heal(from what I've seen anyway). Only way it's really going to work is if From disables the use of flasks in pvp.

There was a pretty good thread on Reddit about ADP with side by side video testing. The videos actually made it seem like it wasn't too worth it, even though shield raising, estus drinking, etc were faster. However, they also didn't take into account iFrames.
The only thing concrete for ADP is that it raises resistance, poise, and agility. Its agility where all the debate comes from and the only thing confirmed so far is increased animation speed of consuming items. Shield raise speed and major increase in iframes when rolling were already disproved. The only thing left in the air is whether i-frames increase when agility is near the cap which is the hardest to test for. :whistle2:k

That's what Lloyd's Talisman's are for!
I use those in invasions, but not for duels. If a player has to down a Sunny-D in a duel, then it tells me that build is flawed. Not to mention, they would be dead right after finishing it. ;)

Backlash said:
Yeah, but even with Cat Ring and Ring of Binding, you can't get down the well as Hollow. At least now I know, which is good because I'm going to have to do it at least twice more in NG (once for the ledge I skipped where you have a choice of which way to fall, and once for the stone door that was locked that I'll have to come back to at some point, I assume).
I had the same problem. I suppose if you had a lot of levels into Vigor you might be able to be a little more hollow. My problem was beyond that not realizing you need a running jump at one point (until I saw a note about it - but there are so many trolling "jump" notes I'm always skeptical of them). I thought another platform was more directly below me and closer but apparently it was further down. I also saw some item on a lower platform that I had to pass up - will have to try to get back there during cleanup.

Speaking of which, I played for about 3 hours last night and it was just going back to previous areas and cleaning up a bit. I ran through a lot of the poison in Harvest Valley to get the treasures there. I still need to get back to the fire salamander area at some point.

I also ventured into Black Gulch a little bit. And I thought the poison traps in the Gutter were a pain :roll:. I did manage to find the area you drop down to (with the locked stone door) and then down below that with the
two giants. That was a strange fight because in the end it gave me a boss soul (and a key - what is that for?) but it didn't seem like a boss fight. It was just two bigger than usual mobs. I suppose the equivalent of a mist door, though, since you can't get out I don't think without defeating them. However, you can retreat to the ledge and they back off, which makes it not like a constrained boss fight
. In any case, it seems like I was supposed to see an NPC on that ledge and I did not. I am waiting to fight the Sinner boss until I can summon her - and I guess I need to talk to her first or that doesn't happen. Yet she's not there...

Kameleon said:

I also did this part last night. You can hear her making bird noises as you approach the door (and get attacked by the frog things). I just cautiously went in and waited to see if she attacked and when she didn't I approached to talk. Like with most things in these games, it is never good to rush in flailing your sword ;). Now I need to see where she goes afterwards. The area past that is full of curse traps and lion warriors and some giant lizard thing. I killed off a few of the warriors and collected some treasure but then backed off and quit for the night.

At this point it seems like I have at least 5 places I could go. I unlocked the way to that PvP area with a Pharros Lockstone. I have more of Black Gulch (inlcuding the stone door - does the key from down below open that?). I have the Sinner's Rise boss (I assume that is what is down that elevator). Back in Huntsmans Corpse I have the path with all the tough knights that leads to a red phantom and a mist door. I helped someone else as a summon there but haven't done it myself. I have the area past the lion warriors in Shaded Woods ruin. I have earlier parts of Shaded Woods (in the fog) that I have not fully explored. I have other parts of Huntsman's Corpse I have not explored. Oh yeah, and there is that Earthen Keep part I found right after the fat hammer dudes in Harvest Valley. There's probably more I'm not even aware of. Oh yeah, one more is the fire salamander area near the first boss back in Forest of the Giants.

I kind of love all the options here and it definitely seems more extensive and wide open at this point than Dark Souls despite starting off a little more restricted.

I have a basic question. What does getting cursed do to you (thinking of the black mist pot traps)? I've been cursed to "critical" level a few times where the red message pops up. But then the bar clears away instantly and it doesn't seem to have done anything. This is in contrast with poison where once you hit the critical stage your health drops rapidly.

I hope it isn't making some sort of permanent stat change or something.

In Dark Souls it does this (from here: http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Curse):
When assaulted by those who cause Curse buildup, the Curse meter gradually fills in a similar manner to that of Poison. Once filled, instant death occurs, leaving behind a statue, and the player returns to the last bonfire rested at.

The player's health will be reduced to half of its maximum capacity and it becomes impossible to kindle Bonfires or to use humanity for reverse hollowing. However, cursed players may attack the Ghosts and Banshees in the New Londo Ruins without having to use a Transient Curse.
Maybe it is glitched in DS2, but like I said the bar just went away and I didn't die, didn't return to the bonfire, and didn't have my health reduced to half. I'll have to check next time I play but I don't think it did anything.

This brief discussion seems to indicate others are confused about it as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/1zvar6/curse_status_effect_of_course_spoilers/

And here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68781545

They seem to think it just makes you slightly more hollow, which is a possibility. I wouldn't have really noticed that. I guess that would be more of a pain if you ran around all the time in human form. But if that is all there is to it, that is a big change from Dark Souls where the effect was much worse. Though it also seems like it happens much easier in this game - first of all from there being all the traps and not just the curse frogs. It also seems to build up very quickly (as does poison).

I had the same problem. I suppose if you had a lot of levels into Vigor you might be able to be a little more hollow. My problem was beyond that not realizing you need a running jump at one point (until I saw a note about it - but there are so many trolling "jump" notes I'm always skeptical of them). I thought another platform was more directly below me and closer but apparently it was further down. I also saw some item on a lower platform that I had to pass up - will have to try to get back there during cleanup.
I doubt it, because I think fall damage is still percentage-based, just like in the first one. It's really the only way to fairly account for different levels of HP. However, apparently it's a percent of human max HP, not current max HP.

I never did any running jumps on my way down the well and I got down eventually. I think I got all the items but I don't remember now.

Backlash said:
I never did any running jumps on my way down the well and I got down eventually. I think I got all the items but I don't remember now.
I'm pretty sure there's one place where you have to jump all the way across the "cylinder" of the pit to get to the next ledge. I did that by running along the ledge I was on and jumping at the end. At least when I didn't do so I died trying to fall straight down as the ledge there was lower than the one I jumped to. I think there was an item further down (as you can go below the ledge that leads to the rat area).

I suppose I can go back to the first bonfire in the rat area and then back out to see what is still there and try to get it at that point. That's yet another thing to do on my list ;). I also know there were some doors and such in the rat area I couldn't get through before. I'm not sure what, if anything, opens those. I'm hesitant to go in there, though, because I don't want to deal with the PvP BS. I suppose I could just rejoin the rat covenant for a bit. Does the cat in Majula let you switch at will, or do you have to visit the leaders to rejoin?

Not sure what rat area you're referring to, but don't give me any spoilers.  After I went down the well, I went through a little tunnel, fought some torch hollows (actually I mostly sniped them from a bridge), and then ended up in the Gutter.  It has some one-way drops and so far I don't see a way to get back to the well from the Gutter.  I haven't yet found the second bonfire in the Gutter since I had to stop relatively early last night.

Backlash said:
Not sure what rat area you're referring to, but don't give me any spoilers. After I went down the well, I went through a little tunnel, fought some torch hollows (actually I mostly sniped them from a bridge), and then ended up in the Gutter. It has some one-way drops and so far I don't see a way to get back to the well from the Gutter. I haven't yet found the second bonfire in the Gutter since I had to stop relatively early last night.
Whaaa? You got to a much further/advanced area than you should have. As for spoilers, people have been talking about the rat stuff pretty non-stop in here so I sort of assumed with that being an early-game place everyone would know about it. I thought that came before the Gutter. At least that's how I progressed (rat place, which leads to the Gutter) - but that could be the difference between jumping or not jumping in that spot I talked about. Maybe if you fall further and miss that ledge, you get to the Gutter first. Though again that just points to the good design of this game - you can approach it any number of different ways. I don't think you can back-track from the Gutter to the other place though - I think you'll have to approach it through the hole again, unfortunately. Look for a rock ledge - that is your target. If you are at the ladder that leads to the locked door, you are too far down.

Ha ha, I bet that's exactly what happened!  I am aware that a "rat area" and covenant exists - I'm just trying to avoid learning any more about it or knowing exactly where it is and what it leads to.  But now at least if I get totally sick of the Gutter, I'll go back to Majula and drop down the well again and stop off at the higher ledge that I saw :)

I basically got to a point in the well where I had an option of dropping to a stone ledge, or dropping to a board a little further down that had a ladder going up.  I thought the ladder looked good, so I went that way, but it just went to a locked door, and then I had no choice but to keep dropping further down the well.

I beat the game tonight.  While the story is still kind of lost on me, I enjoyed it.    I still need to tie up some loose ends getting some NG+ exclusive spells, and some NPC stuff I missed, but it seems to be timing itself pretty well with Infamous coming out on Friday.

I have a basic question. What does getting cursed do to you (thinking of the black mist pot traps)? I've been cursed to "critical" level a few times where the red message pops up. But then the bar clears away instantly and it doesn't seem to have done anything. This is in contrast with poison where once you hit the critical stage your health drops rapidly.

I hope it isn't making some sort of permanent stat change or something.

In Dark Souls it does this (from here: http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Curse):

Maybe it is glitched in DS2, but like I said the bar just went away and I didn't die, didn't return to the bonfire, and didn't have my health reduced to half. I'll have to check next time I play but I don't think it did anything.

This brief discussion seems to indicate others are confused about it as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/1zvar6/curse_status_effect_of_course_spoilers/

And here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68781545

They seem to think it just makes you slightly more hollow, which is a possibility. I wouldn't have really noticed that. I guess that would be more of a pain if you ran around all the time in human form. But if that is all there is to it, that is a big change from Dark Souls where the effect was much worse. Though it also seems like it happens much easier in this game - first of all from there being all the traps and not just the curse frogs. It also seems to build up very quickly (as does poison).
I was wondering the same thing. There was no effect that I could see and I assumed it was glitched so it got to the point (with those damned pots) where I just didnt even care.

Sorry if this is not the right thread but

Did anyone else order the BA edition from Newegg?

I just received mine and... it's not even the Black Armor edition.

I specifically ordered the BA edition, but I just checked the order status on the website and I never noticed it until now, but after I ordered they switched me to the regular edition!! I even have screenshots as proof that it was the BA edition I initially ordered. I'm not sure what to do now, I really wanted the BA edition but now since I missed my chance to buy it from places like Walmart, I'm pretty much screwed. Any recommendations on where to go from here? I guess the best I can get is a refund, but I really wanted to play the game. If I had known I wouldn't be getting the special edition though, I would have waited for a sale.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really pissed right now. I thought Newegg was better than this.
I posted this on the DkS2 thread in the deals forum, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience.
My chances on getting my hands on the Black Armor edition is pretty slim now, huh?

So it sounds like to me this is just a booster for bad players. I'm at cove now without needing any ADP to get through the game, because with correct timing I've been able to dodge any attack with proper positioning. Estus consumption isn't an issue if you're not getting hit and learning to not freak out when you're low while engaged and just bait an attack to give you time to drink is key.

So now that I have the badass shield that is Havel's, I'm seriously considering just pumping up VIT to use it. I've always loved this shield in each game and this time it has some sick magic resist to boot. In PvP, I don't think any shield has it beat but it is super weighty. Gonna get my STR to 45 and play around with stats from there to see what comes of it. I'm not sure if it still holds true, but in previous games having a strong shield on your back added protection during backstabs. I'd plan to be 2H stance during pvp unless I was closing the gap on a ranged player so that would be the ideal.
I can only comment on two PvP experiences in Belfry where the guy had a shield on his back doing 2H against me. I think this still holds but cannot guarantee it as it was several days ago. I'm pretty sure I had a backstab on one of the guys and I didn't do that normal backstab cinema and he took minimal damage. My gripe with PvP at the moment is that stupid lightning spear only needs to be in the same area code at me to damage me.

Just finished Sinner tonight with a little help. Far easier with at least two people. One to keep him occupied and a second to slap him around.. Started into the woods with the fog....and died after the getting to the fire before having to run away for a while.

I'm in the upper 70s and agree with boosting the VIT. Half the time I just run around with my swords and the loin cloth only.

I can only comment on two PvP experiences in Belfry where the guy had a shield on his back doing 2H against me. I think this still holds but cannot guarantee it as it was several days ago. I'm pretty sure I had a backstab on one of the guys and I didn't do that normal backstab cinema and he took minimal damage.
Shields do not offer additional protection against backstabs when two-handing, never has. There is a ring that ignores extra backstab damage in NG+ though.

Finally got my moonlight sword tonight (used bonfire ascetic).  Freya on NG+ was a bitch, so if anyone has trouble with her let me know for some tips.  Already upgraded it to +4 and omg does it own (so pissed the strong attack still damages the blade though :().  Looks like ring of blades does not add anything to it since it's pure magic damage, so I swapped it for the second dragon ring (this ring is OP IMO).  Also rocking havel's greatshield and laughing off all blocked attacks now.  Finally at the point where I can start experimenting and having fun with my build. :D

BTW io, the key you got off those giants opens a door in the gutter (for havel's set) and the area you found it in.

Sorry if this is not the right thread but

I posted this on the DkS2 thread in the deals forum, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience.
My chances on getting my hands on the Black Armor edition is pretty slim now, huh?
Amazon got more in stock earlier today. supposedly they have 748 currently.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6YD2AK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Going back to the discussion from a few days ago, I don't know what you guys are talking about, the 3rd bonfire in the Forest of the Giants isn't that close to the second. I imagine it is mainly placed where it is both so you can easily practice on the tuttle knights and so there is a warp location close to that weird tree that I am sure will eventually do something when I find the right item.

I give up trying to make the jump to that item over the first turtle knight which guards the they way to the Pursuer, took off all my gear and I still couldn't make it after trying a dozen times.

Anyone tell me or give me a clue if there is anything useful to do at the bottom of the Exile cells?  It either there, the Rat area, or the fog in the forest next.

Jodou - so that key will open the door on the first ledge you drop down to? I don't remember a door in the Gutter, but I'll go back and look (just hate that place though).

Guardian_Owl - I thought people were talking about the first and second - is there even a third? But while those two do seem sort of close given the previous games, I don't have a problem with them there since that is sort of the "starter" area. The first two later in the Huntsmans Corpse are ridiculously close, though. Once you knock down a tree you can go from one bonfire to the other without encountering any enemies. That shortcut is useless since you can just warp back to the other if you need to. There are a few other places like that too.

evilw0n said:
Anyone tell me or give me a clue if there is anything useful to do at the bottom of the Exile cells? It either there, the Rat area, or the fog in the forest next.
I'm not sure what you even mean by the "bottom of the Exile cells".

But if you do the fog area, keep to the left and you will come upon an NPC
ghost that will give you a cool helmet. You'll have to fight 3 or 4 ghosts to get there though. The enemy ghosts you can see as white outlines and they move around. The NPC you can't really see and he doesn't move (it might just be his head - I can't tell).

You were right, I think, io.  I got down to the bottom of the Gutter and into Black Gulch.  After running around for just a few mins and seeing the boss once, I don't want any part of that for now.  I'll just go back later (though the boss didn't seem too awful).

Instead I used a lockstone in the Bastille and it opened up the way to the Belfry.  Had my first few PvP exeriences there.  Actually, I joined the covenant, which sounded to me just like the forest invaders, pretty much.  So I was surprised when I immediately got invaded.  I guess Bell people can invade other Bell people?  Had the guy almost dead (and me almost dead as well) when I died from falling through a hole in the floor.  Oh, well.  

Got summoned by someone else for the boss and we fought off two invaders at once while he looked for a third summon sign for the boss.  After we killed them we just went to the boss and took them down.  Awesome fight.  2 people seems like just the right number for the Gargoyles, though I'll give it a few more shots by myself just to see if I can do it 1 v 3.

So now I have Belfry, Black Gulch, Sinner's Rise bosses all waiting, plus finding the rat area and exploring the mist in the Shaded Woods (which I just got to, using the item I found in the Gulch to get past the petrified lady).  Man I love how open this one is!

I am so excited to finally play again tonight!!!

At what ATN stat do you get your first actual slot?

since as a Bandit my Faith is already somewhat okay I might as well toss a heal in there or something.

EDIT- Googled it, it is level 10.

I am thinking of making a spellcaster on my next run. That or start as Deprived and just do literally but nothing other than strength and whatever else to equip a weapon.

Guardian_Owl - I thought people were talking about the first and second - is there even a third? But while those two do seem sort of close given the previous games, I don't have a problem with them there since that is sort of the "starter" area. The first two later in the Huntsmans Corpse are ridiculously close, though. Once you knock down a tree you can go from one bonfire to the other without encountering any enemies. That shortcut is useless since you can just warp back to the other if you need to. There are a few other places like that too.
Ya, once you find the soldier's key from killing the boss there's another door that a lot of people probably miss going back to due to the shortcut through the wall at the second bonfire. Climb down the ladder and follow the original path to the left into the next room with the torch holder and the soldier playing dead (where there was a fog gate) and there is a door there that leads to another small area and the 3rd bonfire.

10 attunement for first slot then next is at 13.

At what ATN stat do you get your first actual slot?

since as a Bandit my Faith is already somewhat okay I might as well toss a heal in there or something.

EDIT- Googled it, it is level 10.

I am thinking of making a spellcaster on my next run. That or start as Deprived and just do literally but nothing other than strength and whatever else to equip a weapon.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. 1 INT, 2 ATN, and 8 FAITH. So no spells, not even pyro. I'll probably just make a spellcaster on my second play-through. Honestly, I did spellcaster for Demon's and Dark Souls for my first play-throughs, and it seems like easy mode compared to just sword and board. So I'm trying to stick to a fighter for my first run this time. With so many stats to upgrade, it is kind of freeing not to worry about raising those 3, at least.

Having a heal miracle is handy, at even mid 10's attunement heal is as fast (or faster) than flask and the HP refil rate is quicker (at least before you get too many bones of saints to burn). It also heals anyone in range so it is quite helpful in coop to top off the host.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. 1 INT, 2 ATN, and 8 FAITH. So no spells, not even pyro. I'll probably just make a spellcaster on my second play-through. Honestly, I did spellcaster for Demon's and Dark Souls for my first play-throughs, and it seems like easy mode compared to just sword and board. So I'm trying to stick to a fighter for my first run this time. With so many stats to upgrade, it is kind of freeing not to worry about raising those 3, at least.
Yeah I played as a spellcaster on my later playthroughs in both and it does have a much easier feeling to the game, though in the beginning it is more tough I feel if you are dedicated to just like a dagger after spells run out. With the new hexes and stuff too though it sounds super fun to run around casting spells.

That is why I also want to run as a Deprived too and just do pure strength. That was super fun in Dark Souls being able to annihilate most bosses quickly. By now I know the patterns of most characters so it is more realistic to expect to dodge everything wearing like no armor haha

Having a heal miracle is handy, at even mid 10's attunement heal is as fast (or faster) than flask and the HP refil rate is quicker (at least before you get too many bones of saints to burn). It also heals anyone in range so it is quite helpful in coop to top off the host.
I noticed that about the healing others when I summoned someone to fight the Medusa thing. Do all healing spells have the radial effect like that now? I have not looked into the spells at all.

I guess Bell people can invade other Bell people? Had the guy almost dead (and me almost dead as well) when I died from falling through a hole in the floor. Oh, well.

Got summoned by someone else for the boss and we fought off two invaders at once while he looked for a third summon sign for the boss. After we killed them we just went to the boss and took them down. Awesome fight. 2 people seems like just the right number for the Gargoyles, though I'll give it a few more shots by myself just to see if I can do it 1 v 3.
Yes, you can invade one another. But you don't have to be in that area to get summoned. You can just wait by the bonfire or do your own thing while waiting to get summoned.

As for the 1vs3 fight, I've never seen that in Bell Sol/Luna in all the times I invaded. It makes me think that there is an actual cap of 2v2 there.

Yep, all the heal spells heal within the circle of light that appear on the ground, once I rolled over and started the heal spell next to a host that had been knocked back and down by a boss so that by the time he rose to his feet he was ready to fight again.

Yep, all the heal spells heal within the circle of light that appear on the ground, once I rolled over and started the heal spell next to a host that had been knocked back and down by a boss so that by the time he rose to his feet he was ready to fight again.
That is great to know thanks. Also makes being a super helpful spellcaster summon that much more easy too haha

I beat the game tonight. While the story is still kind of lost on me, I enjoyed it.
Story
Basically told me the constant cycle of destruction and rebirth in that world. Players are just repeating what happened in DkS :whistle2:? . Its odd how From Software long ago said they were two different areas, yet purposely made a few areas of Londran the same architecture as Drangelic and other references :roll: . They had to keep it open though, stating that Nashandra is a small piece of Manus since his soul is scattered into fragments.

I am loving this game, usually I am a fps gamer so if is good change of pace for me. I have not played the first DS, though so it was a bit unexpected. After my first charter failing I got the hang of it and started over with a new one. I like the challenge and my viewers on twitch like the rage in seeing my failures. Luckily if I get stuck I have my chat to help me along the way.. I also picked up the guidebook as well, which is really nice. Maybe one day I will venture into playing the first DS and demon souls. I would encourage everyone to try it out even if your not used to rpg, you might like it.

bread's done
Back