Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

Yeah, I took a ride from that nest. That place looked kind of scary so I lit the bonfire and got out.

Then I went back to Heide and helped with some bosses and then got some help, first on the one that leads to the second bonfire. Then I screwed up and got killed on the other one even though it was pretty easy with 3 people.

The problem is that put me a little hollow so I couldn't summon. So I helped yet again but this time it didn't restore me to human. Odd that it happened the first time, but not now.

Anyway, then I made a big mistake. I thought burning a human effigy at the bonfire was the way to return to fully human form as it always offers to burn one of those. Nope. It turns out burning an effigy at a bonfire eliminates all summons and invasion activity for the area. And for quite a while too. It has been 3 hours or so and I still can't place my summons or find any. Of course I wasted another effigy getting to human (by just using it) before I realized this. I thought maybe I had leveled up too far to ask for summons but they were everywhere else - just not in Hiede's.

So then I thought, screw it, I'll go do something else. Even with the cat ring, I cannot get down that hole in Majula. When I was nearly human and had a near full health bar I could make the first drop with a tiny sliver left. Then I went down a few more and stepped on to what I thought was a beam (a common thing to jump to in the other games). But it broke and I fell. Then when I returned I couldn't even make the first jump since I lost some health. I have the cat ring equipped too...

So then I moved on to the Wharf thing, which isn't too bad. I still haven't found the merchant or a second bonfire yet, but I did kill a bunch of things (there's so many there my sword almost breaks each run) and
summon a ghost ship
. It isn't too bad though - not nearly as bad as, say, Blighttown.

In any case, before I blew it at the Dragonslayer boss, I ran around for a long time fully human and had no invasions. It seems like that activity must be more focused into the covenant areas in this game like it sort of was in Dark Souls (whereas it was more random in Demon's Souls).

The problem is that put me a little hollow so I couldn't summon. So I helped yet again but this time it didn't restore me to human. Odd that it happened the first time, but not now.
Being revived as a human after coop has been confirmed as a bug. From Software JP's twitter stated they were looking into why it happens.

Being revived as a human after coop has been confirmed as a bug. From Software JP's twitter stated they were looking into why it happens.
Interesting - seems to have only happened the first time for me though.

The summons ban finally lifted and I was able to get some help on that boss. Then I finished up the Wharf area. The boss there is super easy. I did it myself first try. Well, really it was on the second try since the first time I went in with my sword nearly broken and just let him kill me so I didn't break my weapon. I really should have repaired it or switched it out before I went through the mist - just wasn't paying attention.

And FYI, there is a chest right after that boss (on the
boat
) that has a pyro flame. So I finally got that. And then the guy right next to the end sells spells and can level your flame. I need to head back for that.

Interestingly enough the Wharf and Forest of Giants both lead to the
Lost Bastille

Any tips on where to go next? I have the place in the spoiler above, the big pit in Majula (though I'm still not sure how to get down there even with the cat ring), and the area past the contraption (which I had the cleric person turn for me). Then there's little stuff like the flame spitting snake thing in Forest of Giants, and probably a few other areas like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tips on where to go next? I have the place in the spoiler above, the big pit in Majula (though I'm still not sure how to get down there even with the cat ring), and the area past the contraption (which I had the cleric person turn for me). Then there's little stuff like the flame spitting snake thing in Forest of Giants, and probably a few other areas like that.
The pit is fairly easy, just equip the cat ring, be sure to have a good amount of health and healing items and then just keep dropping from piece to piece.

From there within the Rat area, you will eventually get to the Gutter where you will get the branch that can unpetrify the girl holding the one switch in Majula which opens up yet another area which leads to multiple places from there as well. I am blanking but I think other than the Lost Bastille, going down that pit should be your main area to head to

*also sorry about forgetting about the pyro flame you get after the ghost ship, glad you found it though!

In terms of where I am right now

I am 87 with a primary STR build

I am stuck right now at both the Spider boss (not scorpion lady) and the crazy huge dog at the Door of Pharros. I never see summon signs by the dog and I am having a hell of a time by myself. The spider I literally got to a sliver of health the first time I fought her and died and then stupidly died on my way back to fight her again and lost all of the initial souls so I got mad at her and didnt go back yet haha

Jodou, when you mentioned that I thought you meant you got him to follow you somehow to the trap area with the 4 or 5 ballistae.
Nah lol, just the immediate area. I died way more trying to set it up than if I had just straight up killed him, but I wanted to see if I could do it. Was hilarious when I finally got him though. Owned bitch!

You weren't in the Rat covenant. Members of that covenant can force other players to invade them. Thus, making you go through their traps and controlled mobs to finally get to them. :twisted:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, so that's why that happened. Huh, that's an interesting new covenant then.

Also, you were right about still being able to be invaded by other players as a hollow. It just happened to me while I was going to a new area. The problem was that I had just equipped new armor that put me at 68% equip load. Since there was something I had to shoot down from a distance I equipped my bow. Unfortunately for me, I got invaded after this. Even worse, I hadn't noticed that the bow had put me just above the equip limit for fast rolls, by a measly 0.4%. So when I tried to go against the guy and roll around, he beat me easily since I was going sooo slowly. Fortunately, I was near the bonfire.

And unfortunately for him, I only had 638 souls on me. :D/

Wow.  27 hours in and I just discovered that hitting fake walls isn't the main way to get them to open anymore >.>.  I had seen tons of messages on the ground about walls being fake, but I would keep attacking them and even though my sword would go through the walls, nothing happened.  I finally decided to try hitting X on a wall and surprise, it opens...

I really wonder how many items i've missed because of this.

And unfortunately for him, I only had 638 souls on me. :D/
Another change here for invaders/duelists. We don't receive souls from beating hosts/phantoms in order to stay within the desired PvP level bracket.

I really dislike how they added souls as a secondary conditioning to matchmaking since it affects coop as well. :???:

Wow. 27 hours in and I just discovered that hitting fake walls isn't the main way to get them to open anymore >.>. I had seen tons of messages on the ground about walls being fake, but I would keep attacking them and even though my sword would go through the walls, nothing happened. I finally decided to try hitting X on a wall and surprise, it opens...

I really wonder how many items i've missed because of this.
That was a nice surprise for me too. I pressed all the face buttons trying to get into the first one I encountered when I was starting out. :lol:

With all these talk on dark souls... Im tempted to get the game even though ive previously me tioned i wont. Is the BAE dlc overpowered by any chance? I can still get all the items while playing the game normally right?

With all these talk on dark souls... Im tempted to get the game even though ive previously me tioned i wont. Is the BAE dlc overpowered by any chance? I can still get all the items while playing the game normally right?
The items are by no means over powered, at least not that I have noticed though I only occasionally use one of the shields. Yeah you can get them in the game normally.

So this is a bit of a spoiler but not really, it has to do with a certain magic merchant in the near end of the Bastille

The petrified guy in the cells, with all of the exploding asshats around him. I used one of my branches on him and he is some cool wizard guy. Apparently it is this character that you trade your boss souls with to get awesome weapons but I can't even talk to him. He just tells me I have no intelligence (only one point in it haha) and wont speak...

Is there some event that happens that allows me to still at least trade the souls? Or is there equipment anyone has found that perhaps boosts your INT stat so that I can at least wear it while I talk to him?

Finally got back in town from vacation so I can play some more.  I went through Heide to No Man's Wharf earlier today, about to play again.  

Does anyone else feel like this one is easier than both Demon's and Dark Souls?  I did summon someone in the Forest just to try it out, and it just made the last part of that level and the boss way too easy, to the point of being un-fun.  to me, it really takes away from the sense of dread (not knowing what's coming up, especially since all the enemies are scripted and can only surprise you once) and accomplishment from beating something hard when you have phantoms helping.  I don't think I'll summon again at least until NG+... unless I get really stuck on one boss for over a day or something.

Oh, also, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me roll and I kept getting killed by those knights right at the beginning of the Heide area.  Finally I realized there was like a half second delay between pressing circle and my guy rolling.  Totally sucks.  Is that a factor of ADP, and, if so, what level does it have to get to for the controls to actually feel tight?  Mine started at a measly 3 (Bandit) and I have it up to 13 already...

So this is a bit of a spoiler but not really, it has to do with a certain magic merchant in the near end of the Bastille

Is there some event that happens that allows me to still at least trade the souls? Or is there equipment anyone has found that perhaps boosts your INT stat so that I can at least wear it while I talk to him?
I've read you only need to increase your Int stat to 3 to talk to him. If you really don't want to increase it to that much, there are a few types of head gear that will increase your int by 1-3 in the later areas of the game.

Does anyone else feel like this one is easier than both Demon's and Dark Souls?
Easier to me because of DS and DkS. Same way DkS was easier because of DS type of thing.

So I went back to the Bell covenant to level up to rank 2 and get more chunks. I stayed inside because I wanted to get invaded. I have to say the quality of invaders in that covenant is depressing. Mostly just people turtling all day, magic spam users, and they all wait for backup almost every time (2v1). The funniest thing is the amount of hate mail I receive from those invaders is far more than those I receive when I'm being summoned to defend. :rofl:

tldr; ganking Bell Invaders always losing and then send me hate mail.

s3q5id.jpg

Sooooooo

I am lost.

I am level 90+ and have run out of places to go. Not technically but like I can't find anywhere. I feel like I somehow skipped something earlier but I refuse to look it up. So now I am roaming EVERY area again and it is driving me crazy to say the least haha

Another change here for invaders/duelists. We don't receive souls from beating hosts/phantoms in order to stay within the desired PvP level bracket.
Well then, there goes my idea of invading people as a blue phantom in order to get more souls. Guess I'll just stick to helping people with bosses for that.

Oh, also, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me roll and I kept getting killed by those knights right at the beginning of the Heide area. Finally I realized there was like a half second delay between pressing circle and my guy rolling. Totally sucks. Is that a factor of ADP, and, if so, what level does it have to get to for the controls to actually feel tight? Mine started at a measly 3 (Bandit) and I have it up to 13 already...
I have mine at 30 right now at it feels very close to the fast roll from the original Dark Souls. I think somewhere in the mid-20 range might be pretty good. Honestly, I keep thinking it's making a difference the higher I go, but maybe it's just me.

Oh another note, I got invaded while Hollow again, in the same area no less (actually, a bit farther in). Now I come to learn that the red covenant is nearby... that explains a lot. Better remember to join the covenant that summons people to help you before going in there again.

Also, I went exploring past the lady that's petrified with the switch, and eventually got to some doors that can't be opened without... something. I'm assuming these are

the final boss(es?)

other than that, I saw some place with really thick fog. I remember hearing about a covenant where you get summoned to invade people and you have better visibility than your opponent. This made me head back to where I was and wait to go in there until later.

Also, I have a funny story about an NPC, but it might be a spoiler. If the above sentence sounds familiar, it's about that lady.

So after un-petrifying Rosabeth of Melfia, I went back to the bonfire to get some spare armor. I gave her a full set of armor that I had duplicates of. After I gave her the equipment, I realized that I gave her a closed-off helmet while I had an extra open-face helmet in my item box. After she respawned in Majula, I went to give her the helmet by itself. I may have then bought some stuff, upgraded my dark pyromancy flame, and talked to her a bit (can't exactly remember, might be important). I then either traveled somewhere and came back, and/or simply quit the game. After restarting the game, I went to go look for her, and she was just wearing the helmet and nothing else (well, except for the rags that players have after taking off all their armor), Not sure if this was a glitch or intentional, but it was hilarious. I went back and got her another set of armor I had originally given her (no helmet this time), and the next time she had that on instead. So I guess if you want to be a perv, you can try just giving her a helmet or just gauntlets/gloves.

Also, I have a funny story about an NPC, but it might be a spoiler. If the above sentence sounds familiar, it's about that lady.

So after un-petrifying Rosabeth of Melfia, I went back to the bonfire to get some spare armor. I gave her a full set of armor that I had duplicates of. After I gave her the equipment, I realized that I gave her a closed-off helmet while I had an extra open-face helmet in my item box. After she respawned in Majula, I went to give her the helmet by itself. I may have then bought some stuff, upgraded my dark pyromancy flame, and talked to her a bit (can't exactly remember, might be important). I then either traveled somewhere and came back, and/or simply quit the game. After restarting the game, I went to go look for her, and she was just wearing the helmet and nothing else (well, except for the rags that players have after taking off all their armor), Not sure if this was a glitch or intentional, but it was hilarious. I went back and got her another set of armor I had originally given her (no helmet this time), and the next time she had that on instead. So I guess if you want to be a perv, you can try just giving her a helmet or just gauntlets/gloves.
Haha yeah I gave her a full set and it at first and then wanted to change her pants and now she just has the pants and the little cloth bra. Weird it doesn't just replace whatever piece was on there before

I am still wandering lost... I have literally explored everywhere I feel like and only am running into locked doors. I am 97 and have defeated quite a large chunk of bosses and yet now I am so lost. This is driving me crazy because I am stubborn and refuse to look it up.

Just beat the chariot boss from the trailer and it was pretty cool.  Once I figured out the secret, I killed him that attempt heh.

Neat trick I learned on the way to him: when you get to a long rope bridge, there's some particularly nasty enemies just before that.  If you sprint past them all and train them across the bridge, there's a ledge with an item on it you can jump to which makes the mobs give up chase.  Of course, they're all clumsy on their retreat and typically fall to their death.  1-3 of them would do this each time, and if you have the miracle homeward you can just return to the central bonfire to reset them.  It's an easy farm of ~900 souls each with covetous silver ring on and helps to clear the path (after they go extinct) if you're doing boss attempts.  Only tricky part is making the jump, but you can always grab your bloodstain on the way back so the risk is low.

Also tried some pvp in the belltower since everyone seems to invade there, but after seeing how garbage the lag is I'm not bothering right now.  Way too many backstabs from both me and them that were bullshit lol.

^ If you are having trouble with normal mobs, then they must be super-tough. I'm curious to see that part now!

OK, played another 6 hours last night (for the 4th night in a row :lol: - will have to dial it back a bit with the start of the work week here...).

I ended up human again after helping someone on Dragonrider, so I decided to go try out the Bastille (from the Wharf entrance) with some help since I saw summon signs at the beginning.

The other guys helped me out with knowing where mobs and hidden stuff (estus shard, hidden bonfire, blacksmith) was so that was nice. But then at the boss (the trio thing) I got slaughtered (twice) even with 2 others helping me. The first time we had one killed and the I just got too greedy on hitting one of the other ones and he got a couple of strikes in on me (all it takes). The second time, though, the guys helping me weren't nearly as good and they got killed first, leaving me alone against all three. I guess I'm just not ready for that yet.

I wanted to show my kids (in particular my 6 year-old who is obsessed with Infinity Blade on the iPad so I thought he'd appreciate Dark Souls) some of the bosses. So I went to help out on Pursuer. It is hilarious how many times the host player gets killed with the ballista. I wonder if they even realized what happened. I did it once myself (I had Pursuer lined up for a shot but the host moved in front of it just as I fired), but then 2 or 3 other times when I was helping the other phantom did it (and one even shot me once).

Anyway, after that I moved on to the hole in Majula. It is really hard to make that first jump even with the cat ring, and all the other health-boosting stuff equipped. If I'm even a little bit hollow, it takes me down to a sliver of health. It could be that it is easier for others because they put more levels into health - but using Jodou's philosophy, I'm keeping that to a minimum this time and going for stamina and damage this time around. Anyway, I finally made it down to the rat place. I got gray phantomed (forced invasion) once and then made it to the nest. It took me about 10 tries there but I finally cleared it by sticking to the edges and switching sides when they all came over to me. And then the key was to find the head rat once he comes out and lock on to him and take him out quickly. For several tries I was still trying to take out the regular ones and he would hit me from the side and poison-kill me. Earlier I wasted one of my Pharros Lockstones on one of what I guess are traps? I just used it ASAP because before (Wharf and Forest of Giants) it was something that unlocked treasure/lit up the place. But it did nothing. I take it now this is just used to set traps for when you force someone to invade as a member of the rat covenant. There are tons of places to put them - do you get enough lockstones for that and other things in the game? I found one later but I'd rather save it for other stuff - are there other things to unlock beyond the ones I mentioned?

Then I spent a ton of time in the Gutter. That place isn't terribly hard (and seems to have no boss which is odd) but the darkness is just a bit too much. I burned through a big chunk of my torch time getting through there. I was invaded by a red phantom and at fist I thought it was a player. But when I killed it I realized it was an NPC (
Melinda the Butcher I think?
. Unfortunately I killed it from far away using arrows. For some reason I hit it with one (just a plain wood arrow) and it started losing health like crazy, then fell off the edge :lol:. I got no souls and no treasure. Hopefully that didn't screw me up in terms of missing a key weapon or other item. They don't return do they? I figure it must have been knocked into one of the poison traps or something, though I thought that wouldn't effect phantoms.

So I got the thing to unpetrify the pyro woman and did that and moved on to the area past her. I went all through that and am blocked by two different closed doors so I guess there's nothing for me to do in that area at this time. FYI - the pyro flame that you get in the Gutter is the
Dark one which scales with the amount you are hollow. So now I'm not sure which one to upgrade, and I need to find Fire Seeds to do so anyway. The lady sells 3 of them but there must be more to find). So there is a regular one on the ghost ship at the Wharf, and the dark one in the Gutter.

So next up is either clearing the Bastille, or the area past the Gutter with all the glow-in-the-dark poison traps. I wish I had a poison ring or resistant armor or something. I remember in Dark Souls I had a shield I would use in those areas that made me nearly invulnerable to poison. Or I could try rat covenant stuff, or maybe one of the blue ones. I joined all of those but never wore the rings to get summoned. Oh yeah, and I could also go past the contraption area (down the stairs from Majula). I guess I'll do that first since I only went a little bit into there and didn't even trigger a new area. I'm assuming like with most of the other places, there will be a bonfire just inside there.

That is one thing I'm noticing in this game that makes it easier - there seem to be more bonfires that are closer together. I don't mind that as it cuts out a lot of backtracking and repeating (if you die part way between them). It just seems like in the other 2 games, there would be huge stretches you'd have to go through without being able to rest/refresh.

So I am playing this game too much. I feel like some crazy person.

I have logged 35 hours already in... I am level 120. It is worth noting that I work full time, commute to the city and am getting my masters full time. So like I literally have just been coming home playing then sleeping... Once I beat it I will definitely be taking a videogame break for a week or so haha

Earlier I wasted one of my Pharros Lockstones on one of what I guess are traps? I just used it ASAP because before (Wharf and Forest of Giants) it was something that unlocked treasure/lit up the place. But it did nothing. I take it now this is just used to set traps for when you force someone to invade as a member of the rat covenant. There are tons of places to put them - do you get enough lockstones for that and other things in the game? I found one later but I'd rather save it for other stuff - are there other things to unlock beyond the ones I mentioned?
You end up quite a bit of Pharros Lockstones later. There are a ton of traps in the Doors of Pharros too that you can use them on. Throughout the game however even later on the Lockstones do unlock important things like they do in the Warf and stuff.

Plus I believe you can earn lockstones somehow? I want to say when you are forced to invade a rat covenant player and defeat them you get one, though I am not sure if that is how I did it.

So I am playing this game too much. I feel like some crazy person.

I have logged 35 hours already in... I am level 120. It is worth noting that I work full time, commute to the city and am getting my masters full time. So like I literally have just been coming home playing then sleeping... Once I beat it I will definitely be taking a videogame break for a week or so haha

Finally did the tower defense thing - not bad considering I got a titanite chunk each time I was successful.  Only lost once and that was when the guy somehow got a backstab on me.  Crazy though because he was right in front of me and next thing I know I was being back stabbed.  I think Jodou is on to something about the lag. 

It is always funny to see the reaction of the people since I am only wearing the loin cloth and with a shield and sword.  I actually had one less than intelligent person send me back based on what I was wearing. 

I've been doing pvp in the rat covenant to get it done with first, and man does it feel dirty sometimes. Eventually people killed off all of the rats in the first open area, so the temptation to bring a halberd down on a guy who is being nibbled on is no longer an issue. Recently I've had to start hanging out where people spawn into your world, because they were all using the black crystal to bail immediately. Only fifteen more rat tails, then I'm free.

The lag in this game can be freaking ridiculous. I haven't experienced it too much, but when I do, it's crazy "guy swings a sword at the other end of the room with pillars between us and somehow hits me through my shield" lag.

I haven't experienced lag issues in PvP. Hosts usually have some decent connections.

I never bothered to max rat covenant, but I farmed their members for Pharro stones. :twisted:  I just waited in the initial cave area until they came to me. Not surprising that they would get thrashed in a real duel. :lol:  Not like it was difficult to do anyway if I had gone out since the rats are easily thrown off by Alluring Skull. 

^ Damn, is that (alluring skull) the way to clear out the nest easily? :lol:

Oh well... I want to do one of the covenants but I suck at all the PvP stuff. I was going to try the rat one but I'm not sure how I'll fare. My only hope is to get some newbie in there who has no idea what is going on... You gotta do like 15+ to get it completed though? Ugh. Is there a covenant where you can help people and max it out? I mean other than the blue ones. I could try those but then you'd be going up against people who are intentionally invading and that never works out well for me either.

I was hoping for one more like the sun one in Dark Souls where you just help on bosses.

Yeah, the lag has been pretty crazy. While I was waiting around to get summoned to help on a boss, I got invaded by someone. Granted, this has happened before, so I knew they were going to spawn right next to me. Since I hate PvP, I decided to try to attack them quickly as they spawned. Not only did it not do anything, they beat me with two hits out of nowhere, literally.

On a related note, I really really want to kill the red covenant leader. Never before in this series have I wanted to kill an NPC so badly.

Almost forgot, can some items only be obtained by ranking up in a covenant? I am really terrible at PvP and would rather not do that. If it's the only way to get some items I might just skip it, but I also really want to platinum this game (got 1000/1000 on Dark Souls on 360).

I was hoping for one more like the sun one in Dark Souls where you just help on bosses.
You do come across that covenant in Harvest Valley. Its the one I'm currently maxing for the achievement as you only need 30 medals and I've been doing a lot of boss grinding w/ my 45% bonus souls gear

I am quite bummed right now. I somehow missed a beat of a certain NPC's questline, and since I've beaten the world that the final part happens in, it looks like I locked myself out of getting a piece of eq that gives you 100% critical attacks (which seems super helpful). I'm going to try going back to the part I missed just in case, but if it is like DS1, once those bosses are beat, quest opportunity is gone.

^ Ah, thanks - your post wasn't there when I wrote this one. I'm not at that place yet.

Just so I can keep an eye on it, who is the NPC you missed?

Kameleon said:
Almost forgot, can some items only be obtained by ranking up in a covenant? I am really terrible at PvP and would rather not do that. If it's the only way to get some items I might just skip it, but I also really want to platinum this game (got 1000/1000 on Dark Souls on 360).
That is essentially why I was asking as well. I know there is a trophy for maxing out one of them. But beyond that I don't know if you need to do any specific ones for items/spells/etc to get other trophies.

^ Damn, is that (alluring skull) the way to clear out the nest easily? :lol:

Oh well... I want to do one of the covenants but I suck at all the PvP stuff. I was going to try the rat one but I'm not sure how I'll fare. My only hope is to get some newbie in there who has no idea what is going on... You gotta do like 15+ to get it completed though? Ugh. Is there a covenant where you can help people and max it out? I mean other than the blue ones. I could try those but then you'd be going up against people who are intentionally invading and that never works out well for me either.

Yep, Alluring skull is great for that area not to mention the boss at the end of that level as well. Just throw it out and all the rats try to munch on it or something for a couple of seconds. Its funny seeing them all migrate to it. :D

The Sun Covenant is in this game, but you have to go complete Huntsman's Corpse area to get to it.

Yeah, the lag has been pretty crazy. While I was waiting around to get summoned to help on a boss, I got invaded by someone. Granted, this has happened before, so I knew they were going to spawn right next to me. Since I hate PvP, I decided to try to attack them quickly as they spawned. Not only did it not do anything, they beat me with two hits out of nowhere, literally.

On a related note, I really really want to kill the red covenant leader. Never before in this series have I wanted to kill an NPC so badly.

You can obtain those grindy covenant rewards in NG++. Speaking of which, I really hate what they did to the Blood covenant. Its just a big circle jerk of stupidity with no infinite red eye. Need to duel members to get tokens, to give to the leader so you can get one red eye, and repeat like an idiot. :wall:

Nice. :)

Time to go join the Sunbros then. I heard they were in Harvest Valley. Are you sure you're not thinking of the red covenant Supplice? (Since it's in the Undead Purgatory)
Sun covenant is in Harvest Valley, but you still have to complete a certain boss to get access to it from Huntsman's Corpse.

Ah, good, I am in the Huntsman place right now. That seems so wide open with lots of places to go but the poison mist kept me from exploring too much. But I just finished the
three skeletons
boss fight and then started to move on from there but when the bridge lifted back up behind me, I used a homeward bone to get back so I could cash in my souls.

I had one golden summon help me with that fight and got a sun medal afterwards.

Then while I was still human I headed back to the Bastille and tried that trio fight there. This time I avoided that first hit and tried to stay on the platform but after we got a few hits in on the first one, I got knocked off the edge with not enough health to survive the drop. Had 2 summons with me too. Oh wells... I may try to help there for a bit and see if I can get further that way first. I can get through the cluster of fast knights by myself now. Just that stupid boss is a pain in the ass.

Summoning seems a bit strange. I was trying to look for help on that first boss fight I mentioned. It isn't too hard and I was able to get most of them, but was just getting tired of getting most of the way through and then getting hit by the rolling skeletons. So I use an effigy and for a long time I couldn't find any signs. So I put mine down and 3 times got summoned almost instantly for that battle. Then I went back and tried looking for summons again - nothing. I even warped around a bit to make sure I could see them at all and I found a few at the Bastille. So I went back and found one golden one by the bonfire and didn't see any on the steps by the boss door so we just went in anyway as a duo which worked out fine. But I found it odd that others seemed to be able to summon me with ease but I couldn't find much help.

Played another 4 hours tonight ;). I found the sun covenant. I also finally found a poison resistance ring - after I went through lots of poison of course. Though it doesn't seem to do much good anyway.

Played some more.  I think I'm way behind most of you guys, but I am revising my opinion of the difficulty - I finally started getting my ass handed to me a bit more.  Guess I just wasn't far enough in yet.

I did end up capitulating and summoning help for the first boss of the Bastille.  So I missed out on that satisfying feeling of beating a multi-boss (e.g. O & S) by myself, but the run to the boss was just too much of a pain in the ass, kiting and luring all those soldiers to try to only fight two at a time.  It was taking forever for each boss attempt.

On another note, I went back to Heide's Tower because I realized I never actually beat any of the knights on the way to Dragonrider since I always just ran past them.  I felt so dumb when I found out that beating them
popped up levers that closed off the Dragonrider floor
as well as there being a whole other way to go (to the Old Dragonslayer).  Face palm.  I guess good for me for beating him "the hard way?"  No wonder he kept knocking me off the first three times I fought him!

I also finally went back to the Forest to beat that knight on the rooftop that gets dropped by the bird.  I never fought him ealier because he seemed too hard at the time, so I just left him on the roof and climbed down the ladder.  When I went back, there was no sign of him, though.  Did I miss him for good?

Ah, good, I am in the Huntsman place right now. That seems so wide open with lots of places to go but the poison mist kept me from exploring too much. But I just finished the
three skeletons
boss fight and then started to move on from there but when the bridge lifted back up behind me, I used a homeward bone to get back so I could cash in my souls.

I had one golden summon help me with that fight and got a sun medal afterwards.

Then while I was still human I headed back to the Bastille and tried that trio fight there. This time I avoided that first hit and tried to stay on the platform but after we got a few hits in on the first one, I got knocked off the edge with not enough health to survive the drop. Had 2 summons with me too. Oh wells... I may try to help there for a bit and see if I can get further that way first. I can get through the cluster of fast knights by myself now. Just that stupid boss is a pain in the ass.

Summoning seems a bit strange. I was trying to look for help on that first boss fight I mentioned. It isn't too hard and I was able to get most of them, but was just getting tired of getting most of the way through and then getting hit by the rolling skeletons. So I use an effigy and for a long time I couldn't find any signs. So I put mine down and 3 times got summoned almost instantly for that battle. Then I went back and tried looking for summons again - nothing. I even warped around a bit to make sure I could see them at all and I found a few at the Bastille. So I went back and found one golden one by the bonfire and didn't see any on the steps by the boss door so we just went in anyway as a duo which worked out fine. But I found it odd that others seemed to be able to summon me with ease but I couldn't find much help.
Those three in the Bastille were one of my least favorite bosses. You later have to fight a bunch of those guys again just regularly in the Castle and I HATE IT. They are just annoying hah. Though my real least favorite boss so far has been the freaking rats. Not the one in Pharros but the first set in the graves... I had saved up for the Cat Ring and ventured down there like as one of the first things I did in the game and that fight was a pain. They do not stop coming AND they poison you or whatever so quickly. Pair that with the statues and me wielding a big sword was just useless!

Played some more. I think I'm way behind most of you guys, but I am revising my opinion of the difficulty - I finally started getting my ass handed to me a bit more. Guess I just wasn't far enough in yet.
Eh, I still think this one is noticeably easier and I am level 120 and am currently in Vendrick's Castle.

Having an unlimited supply of Lifegems is the biggest thing (old hag has an endless supply you can buy when she moves to Majula). Instead of rationing Estus Flasks I use them as like boss fight immediate health boosts. And like in the poison areas I don't even care about getting poisoned I just pop two lifegems so that my health stays normal while in it. So instead of wandering around with small chunks of health because of a previous battle, each encounter I am pretty much maxed out. Those fights are still difficult yes, but it feels much more forgiving.

In terms of forgiving, I feel like there are more bonfires as well plus the fact that you can warp anywhere make it again more forgiving from the start.

Pair that with the much easier and overall better system for summoning, bosses are not nearly as imposing as the past two games.

I am not saying by any means this game is less fun because I am absolutely addicted and in love with every part. I just feel like overall they have added a bit more of forgiveness to the system. They have done all of this though to cater to more people. Hardcore players can refuse to use life gems or summon or even warp around. Plus the Bonfire Ascetics add that extra level too.

I love what they did because like right now on my first playthrough I love exploring and getting a feel for the world and because it is a tad more forgiving this is easier to do. Then on NG+ I can get my ass handed to me for real haha.

So what are the actual rules for getting your humanity back, is it only supposed to be by human effigy or is their some scenario via coop that you are SUPPOSED to be able to get back your body form. Sometimes killing bosses as a phantom does it, sometimes if host dies it does it. Are all of those bugs?

Pair that with the much easier and overall better system for summoning, bosses are not nearly as imposing as the past two games.
Yeah, that's why I'm trying hard not to summon much at all. Definitely seems like the bonfires are more frequent.

Speaking of which, what's the point of the 3rd bonfire in the Forest (Warrior's Rest, I think it's called)? It's so close to the 2nd one and it seems to be at a dead-end area with enemies that aren't really too difficult.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying hard not to summon much at all. Definitely seems like the bonfires are more frequent.

Speaking of which, what's the point of the 3rd bonfire in the Forest (Warrior's Rest, I think it's called)? It's so close to the 2nd one and it seems to be at a dead-end area with enemies that aren't really too difficult.
Yeah I have no idea about that bonfire. I scoured that area forever thinking surely there must be something here or at least a hint at needing to come back later but I couldn't find anything. I actually missed that area entirely at first and then later when I was stuck and replayed all of the areas I found that and was super excited I found a new path only to realize it was a dead end. Womp womp wompp

Replies everywhere. :D

You gotta do like 15+ to get it completed though? Ugh. Is there a covenant where you can help people and max it out? I mean other than the blue ones. I could try those but then you'd be going up against people who are intentionally invading and that never works out well for me either.

Just wanted to add Rat covenant needs 35 tails versus Sun's 30 medals to max out.

You probably were the same soul level as the others, but your soul memory must have gotten higher than your pier group. So that would kick you into the next soul memory bracket despite being the same soul level. Its a very annoying matchmaking mechanic that needs to go imo. :pray:

I also finally went back to the Forest to beat that knight on the rooftop that gets dropped by the bird. I never fought him ealier because he seemed too hard at the time, so I just left him on the roof and climbed down the ladder. When I went back, there was no sign of him, though. Did I miss him for good?
I think the place your mentioning is the "preview" fight. The actual boss battle with him is using the soldier's key on the door that is after the hallway the rock soldier (big club) is blocking.

I am not saying by any means this game is less fun because I am absolutely addicted and in love with every part. I just feel like overall they have added a bit more of forgiveness to the system. They have done all of this though to cater to more people. Hardcore players can refuse to use life gems or summon or even warp around. Plus the Bonfire Ascetics add that extra level too.
Those bonfire ascetics are great. They even respawn the bosses in their NG+ versions. :)

So what are the actual rules for getting your humanity back, is it only supposed to be by human effigy or is their some scenario via coop that you are SUPPOSED to be able to get back your body form. Sometimes killing bosses as a phantom does it, sometimes if host dies it does it. Are all of those bugs?
Getting humanity back through coop is a glitch and FS-JP said they were looking into the cause to possibly patch later. Might as well abuse it. Otherwise, its just easier to use a human effigy. :razz:

I figured it was the troll bonfire. :lol:

Just so I can keep an eye on it, who is the NPC you missed?
Mild Mannered Pate is the guy I missed talking to later in the game

I havent played any today but the first thing im going to do is go back to the area he appears in and hope I get lucky. Fingers crossed....

I think the place your mentioning is the "preview" fight. The actual boss battle with him is using the soldier's key on the door that is after the hallway the rock soldier (big club) is blocking.
Oh, shit, I totally forgot about that door - thanks for reminding me! I have a piece of paper that I take notes on so I can remember to go back to locked doors, items I couldn't reach, paths I didn't take, etc. However I don't usually update it until after a play session and I forget some stuff. Lost Bastille by itself has a ton of notes right now :)

Sometimes I go back way later and realize I did stuff out of what was probably the intended order. I didn't find the Old Dragonslayer until I had gone through all of No Man's Wharf and a good portion of the Lost Bastille (up to the second fog door, I think, after the triple boss fight).

I absolutely love the open exploration aspect of these games.

Mild Mannered Pate is the guy I missed talking to later in the game

I havent played any today but the first thing im going to do is go back to the area he appears in and hope I get lucky. Fingers crossed....
I missed him too : /

Oh, shit, I totally forgot about that door - thanks for reminding me! I have a piece of paper that I take notes on so I can remember to go back to locked doors, items I couldn't reach, paths I didn't take, etc. However I don't usually update it until after a play session and I forget some stuff. Lost Bastille by itself has a ton of notes right now :)

Sometimes I go back way later and realize I did stuff out of what was probably the intended order. I didn't find the Old Dragonslayer until I had gone through all of No Man's Wharf and a good portion of the Lost Bastille (up to the second fog door, I think, after the triple boss fight).

I absolutely love the open exploration aspect of these games.
Hah that is a great idea! I skipped multiple 'early' game stuff and had to scour back to find. I killed the Rotten as one of my first boss fights for example haha.

Backlash said:
I did end up capitulating and summoning help for the first boss of the Bastille. So I missed out on that satisfying feeling of beating a multi-boss (e.g. O & S) by myself, but the run to the boss was just too much of a pain in the ass, kiting and luring all those soldiers to try to only fight two at a time. It was taking forever for each boss attempt.

On another note, I went back to Heide's Tower because I realized I never actually beat any of the knights on the way to Dragonrider since I always just ran past them. I felt so dumb when I found out that beating them
popped up levers that closed off the Dragonrider floor
as well as there being a whole other way to go (to the Old Dragonslayer). Face palm. I guess good for me for beating him "the hard way?" No wonder he kept knocking me off the first three times I fought him!
I can't beat that Bastille fight even with summons... I'll have to keep at it. In the mean time, I've moved on way beyond that (well, in other areas at least). It is kind of cool that you can just do different paths and save some things for later.

Also, about not popping the levers:
I missed the first one as well. I'm not sure how well this works, but some online guide I read (after the fact) suggested not pulling the levers so that the platform is really small and then baiting him into going off the edge with his thrust attack. I went on there with 2 summons and we beat him on the small platform but he never did fall off.

BrolyB593 said:
In terms of forgiving, I feel like there are more bonfires as well plus the fact that you can warp anywhere make it again more forgiving from the start.

I love what they did because like right now on my first playthrough I love exploring and getting a feel for the world and because it is a tad more forgiving this is easier to do. Then on NG+ I can get my ass handed to me for real haha.
There are definitely more bonfires. There's another "duplicate" bonfire in Huntsman's Corpse that is way more redundant than the one in Forest of the Giants. The second one, once you knock down the tree to make a shortcut back to the beginning, is like 10 seconds of running from the first one :lol:. I appreciate them saving me from that little bit of running - but that is definitely something they would not have done in the first game.

Supplice said:
You probably were the same soul level as the others, but your soul memory must have gotten higher than your pier group. So that would kick you into the next soul memory bracket despite being the same soul level. Its a very annoying matchmaking mechanic that needs to go imo. :pray:

Getting humanity back through coop is a glitch and FS-JP said they were looking into the cause to possibly patch later. Might as well abuse it. Otherwise, its just easier to use a human effigy. :razz:
I thought the soul level + memory would work both ways though. It seems you are saying you can only summon someone if they are same soul level + memory, but they can summon you if you just match level. Is that right? That explains why I am seeing more golden summons than regulars - I'm probably getting a lot of Sun covenant people who are higher level than me (but probably same soul memory) going "back" to older areas to help out for medals. But I'm not getting many people who are actually still in those areas for the first time any more. I have been spending a lot of souls on spells/miracles/hexes and rings and stuff and not leveling up that much. So I guess that is where the level vs. memory problem comes in.

Spent a lot of time cooping Dragonrider and Dragon Slayer to level up a little so I ended up trying to take them on solo rather than use an effigy to get summons. Dragonrider wasn't too bad, beat him legit melee. I cheesed a little on Dragon Slayer though, blocking and dodging until he missed an attack with a long recovery time and then I plinked him with a lightning spear miracle rather than get in too close. Was able to take him out with 9 bolts.

Speaking of that gaggle of soldiers in Bastille, I got overrun by them too, that's what caused me to give up progressing along that path and try the tower of flame. Joined Blue Sentinels [customspoiler='location spoiler']right after that Dragon Slayer boss fight[/customspoiler] and got a new miracle from them that I can't wait to test out on them. :twisted:.

Spent a lot of time cooping Dragonrider and Dragon Slayer to level up a little so I ended up trying to take them on solo rather than use an effigy to get summons. Dragonrider wasn't too bad, beat him legit melee. I cheesed a little on Dragon Slayer though, blocking and dodging until he missed an attack with a long recovery time and then I plinked him with a lightning spear miracle rather than get in too close. Was able to take him out with 9 bolts.

Speaking of that gaggle of soldiers in Bastille, I got overrun by them too, that's what caused me to give up progressing along that path and try the tower of flame. Joined Blue Sentinels [customspoiler='location spoiler']right after that Dragon Slayer boss fight[/customspoiler] and got a new miracle I can't wait to test out on them. :twisted:.
Some of the Bastille groups are a pain at high levels still. I have pretty much all the highest armor on upgraded with Twinkling Titanite and am at SL 120 and when I go back there they still annoy the piss out of me haha

I thought the soul level + memory would work both ways though. It seems you are saying you can only summon someone if they are same soul level + memory, but they can summon you if you just match level. Is that right? That explains why I am seeing more golden summons than regulars - I'm probably getting a lot of Sun covenant people who are higher level than me (but probably same soul memory) going "back" to older areas to help out for medals. But I'm not getting many people who are actually still in those areas for the first time any more. I have been spending a lot of souls on spells/miracles/hexes and rings and stuff and not leveling up that much. So I guess that is where the level vs. memory problem comes in.
Exactly. It does not matter if you use your souls to buy items, spells, or whatever. Every soul you gain is treated as a "gross" even if you don't level up. Thus, you being kicked out of your SL level range and into the soul memory range of higher level players because they have the same amount of total souls accumulated as you.

BrolyB593 said:
Some of the Bastille groups are a pain at high levels still. I have pretty much all the highest armor on upgraded with Twinkling Titanite and am at SL 120 and when I go back there they still annoy the piss out of me haha
Just curious, what is that "highest" armor? I have been slowly putting pieces of the Drangleic set on as I can equip more weight. I even used one of my 3 twinkling titanites on the main armor piece. I'd like to upgrade it again, but I'm hesitant to use those knowing they are limited and I might find better armor/weapons that need them later.

I have the Heide (I think) helmet, the Drangleic armor, gauntlets, and leggings, and I'm still rocking the Black Armor Edition bound wooden shield (leveled up to +3 I think) as that remains the best shield I've found (or at least best for the light weight it has). I don't see too many other people using that shield though but I just can't find anything that beats it.

But in terms of rationing twinkling titanite, how much of it can you get? And as I asked before, do I want to be saving it for some awesome armor I have yet to discover?

I'm also still using the Fire Sword (up to +3 now) I found by the snake/salamander. I need to beat the knight in the forest as I think Jodou said he has a sword. I just haven't gone back there yet. And speaking of that snake/salamander, how do you beat him? I've not seen anyone talk about him. And is that one and the same? It looks like a snake when you go down the ramparts and into the cave where the fire sword is hidden. That's where he rears up and spits fireballs at you. But then within the castle (by the elevator that takes you to the Last Giant boss) you can look down and see a fire salamander and its head looks like it could be the thing you see in the cave tunnel. I wasn't sure if they were the same one, or the same type at least.

I can actually manage the Bastille group (if we are talking about that first set of 6 or 7 before the first fog door) pretty easily. If you bait them out in groups of 2 or 3 it isn't too bad. Then you can go downstairs, then up the ladder and backstab 2 of the others. I figure I'll just keep killing those guys until they stop respawning so I can get back to the boss fight more easily when I want to complete it for real (ie, getting the mobs out of the way so I don't screw up getting back to my bloodstain within the boss chamber).

Just curious, what is that "highest" armor? I have been slowly putting pieces of the Drangleic set on as I can equip more weight. I even used one of my 3 twinkling titanites on the main armor piece. I'd like to upgrade it again, but I'm hesitant to use those knowing they are limited and I might find better armor/weapons that need them later.

I have the Heide (I think) helmet, the Drangleic armor, gauntlets, and leggings, and I'm still rocking the Black Armor Edition bound wooden shield (leveled up to +3 I think) as that remains the best shield I've found (or at least best for the light weight it has). I don't see too many other people using that shield though but I just can't find anything that beats it.

But in terms of rationing twinkling titanite, how much of it can you get? And as I asked before, do I want to be saving it for some awesome armor I have yet to discover?

I can actually manage the Bastille group (if we are talking about that first set of 6 or 7 before the first fog door) pretty easily. If you bait them out in groups of 2 or 3 it isn't too bad. Then you can go downstairs, then up the ladder and backstab 2 of the others. I figure I'll just keep killing those guys until they stop respawning so I can get back to the boss fight more easily when I want to complete it for real (ie, getting the mobs out of the way so I don't screw up getting back to my bloodstain within the boss chamber).
I started putting into that armor too but then I got Vengarl's set and it is just a tad bit heavier but far more powerful than the Drangleic.

You get his helmet from finding his head in the Shaded Woods area with all the fog. Then after a later boss you have to fight his headless body before you can get to the bonfire. After you kill it and talk to him again he gives you the rest. Or perhaps the dead body gave it... I am not 100%

Then in terms of basic resistance, the Smelter Demon's Armor is even better but again heavier. The Smelter Demon is a completely optional boss over in the Iron Keep. He was a pain in the butt.

I cannot remember his name, but the armor merchant in Majula. If you buy so much from him he will start stocking more and more. After a while he will start stocking the armors of certain bosses after you kill them. That is how I picked up the Smelter Demon chest, though I still prefer Vengarls armor. Right now I think I have all of Vengarl and then Drangleic gloves.

That same guy gives you this crazy Aurorus Armor or something like that and it is nearly invisible. It is all average armor but it raises your max equip. The armor looks both ridiculous and awesome at the same time haha

Even after all of those though I am sure there are better armors that I have yet to find. But even so far I have better stuff than Drangleic.

And in terms of Twinkling Titanite, I have not found a whole bunch. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on how to get more though I doubt it will be in large abundance.

Ah, I saw that fog area and backed away slowly... ;) There was a note on the ground about a ghost and not being able to lock on. I'll try it out tonight. I have lots of little side areas still to backtrack and explore. There were a lot of places in the Huntsman Corpse that I didn't explore as well once I found the locked bonfire and the path to the boss from there.

Which merchant are you talking about in Majula? Not the lame one in the building by the pit is it? I have never bought anything from him because he doesn't have anything good. There's the blacksmith that sells a few things. I have bought a lot from him (since he has arrows and titanite shards) but his stock has never changed. There's also the old woman who moved from Forest of Giants - I think she sells some armor too.

I'm hesitant to spend souls on stuff I don't need because of the soul level/memory thing. But if it is the one in the house by the pit I'll buy some junk from him if need be. How much stuff did you have to buy?

But thanks for the info - I will definitely hold off on using any more twinkling titanite on the Drangleic stuff.

bread's done
Back