Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

haha, wow, I still can't believe how far I got into this game. :')
I feel like I accomplished a lot. I'm at Sens Fortress Now and haven't got the guts to face him, even though he's probably easy. Don't worry KingBroly, Blighttown can be a bitch!!!

[quote name='Rosterking']haha, wow, I still can't believe how far I got into this game. :')
I feel like I accomplished a lot. I'm at Sens Fortress Now and haven't got the guts to face him, even though he's probably easy. Don't worry KingBroly, Blighttown can be a bitch!!![/QUOTE]

You have accomplished a lot so far, but be warned...

There's no "him", just a bunch of annoying swinging blades on narrow ledges and guys shooting lightning at you. I just went through there tonight on NG+. Having a Ring of Fog made it a lot easier because that first mage wouldn't shoot at me.

Just remember:
- 1st set of blades you can pause between each one (though it is best to run past the last 2 since the mage will shoot at you and there's a snake guy right in front of you that you need to fight - though you can shoot him with an arrow and probably get him knocked off by the blades when he rushes you).
- 2nd blade is easy (just one).
- 3rd set gets tricky. There's a mage right after them - if you shoot him from the side when you first pass the second solo blade you can knock him off the perch. Or simply wear him down till he's dead (and dodge his lightning of course). Then there are two sets of blades and there is a very narrow piece of ground between them. I got knocked off a few times there tonight and finally put a message down at the right place. So hopefully you will see that.
- Then you deal with the whole rolling ball bit and I'll let you figure that out yourself...
- 4th set of blades is tricky - 3 really close and you just have to time it right and run and then roll, all without going off the very very narrow bridge.
- 5th and final set isn't too hard, but there is a mage to the left that will shoot at you. I was able to take him out with fireballs but you probably need to do something to get rid of him. Then those blades have points in between them where you can stop - don't try doing all 4 at once (my mistake when I got to it tonight as I was thinking it was like the previous set).

Once you get past there, get ready to fight more snake guys and then once you get to the place where the giant is throwing firebombs (avoid the scorched ground) you need to find the hidden bonfire ASAP since if you get killed here it would be very frustrating to have to go all the way back to where the blacksmith is and start over. The bonfire is down below - you have to cross the first scorched area and drop off the wall (you can see it from the safe corner of the platform first so you don't have to jump blind). You may also see some messages there (another reason to play online!). There is NO OTHER bonfire in all of Sen's Fortress and you have a boss to deal with shortly after this so you need to rest there. After this you will be able to open up a shortcut to the area with the first set of blades but it is always best to get to that bonfire first. To open the shortcut make sure you jump that area on the narrow walkways when you are outside. You'll know what I'm talking about - it is just a small gap that leads to a tower. There is a merchant in there and down below him a key to open the cages that make up the shortcut.

There is a lot of other stuff to do in Sen's around the rolling ball area (lots of treasures including the lightning spear and I think you first free Big Hat Logan there who you will want to get if you want any advanced spells). But I skipped all that this time since I did it in my original game.

Btw io, depending how much you care, I can let you hold certain weapons for the weapons trophy, which would completely eliminate your need for a second full playthrough. I'm not sure if you leveled out of my range though. I'm still at like 119. I always forget my level. Currently 113.

That goes for anyone, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AkariK']Btw io, depending how much you care, I can let you hold certain weapons for the weapons trophy, which would completely eliminate your need for a second full playthrough. I'm not sure if you leveled out of my range though. I'm still at like 119.

That goes for anyone, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I'm at 115 - yeah, hell, let's do it. I was just about to fight the Iron Golem so I could pop that Anor Londo trophy. Are you available now to put your summon sign by his door? At this point, other than that, I just need boss soul weapons, and I have a few already of course (like Fury Sword).

I just figured that didn't work for this game since no one ever talked about it. I know you could do that for Demon's Souls (that's how I got the ring trophy which otherwise would have been a lot of extra work).

I mean, as much as I love this game, it is really time for me to move on. I have Skyrim and now FF XIII-2 sitting here still sealed :lol:.

Edit: PM sent!

Well, thanks to AkariK, I was able to get my platinum tonight!

First, we met around the Iron Golem so he could lend me the last weapons I needed. We had some trouble with invasions and such but eventually got it done. The problem was that he apparently didn't get back his Cursed Greatsword of Astorias from a previous person. So I didn't get the trophy and we weren't sure why at first. I thought I had all the farmable and purchasable weapons. But we finally figured out he had 2 regular Greatswords (and I had that already). I did not know that you just had to hold them once - I thought I read that you had to have them all at the same time. Apparently not!

So first we took care of the Iron Golem. AkariK commented on how much harder it was than he though it would be because of the pyro nerfing. We had Tarkus there too so it wasn't too much trouble, but it just took a lot of fireball beatings to take him down. I think I used all 8 of my Fireballs and all 4 of my Chaos Fireballs and that was in addition to whatever AkariK and Tarkus did! I then travelled to Anor Londo and breathed a sigh of relief when the trophy for Anor Londo popped (as it glitched on me in my original game).

So then AkariK helped me beat Sif which was a challenge because of course as soon as you enter the forest in human form you get pounced on by Forest Covenant defenders. There were a lot of people to summon which actually made it hard because I couldn't find his sign for a long time. Eventually I just decided to join the covenant which cut down on the invasions, though I still had a couple regular invasions while I was searching for his sign. Finally, we got another summon and beat down Sif. One thing is for certain - the game is definitely very vibrant online. Even at our levels (120 or so) there was a lot of activity on both the invader and helper side. And this was 1-2 AM Pacific on a Wednesday night.

Anyway, then it was back to Anor Londo to get to the blacksmith. Once again, invasion city... Finally we made it to the great hall and a pretty tough invader came in. While AkariK fought him I went to the blacksmith and quickly made the Cursed Greatsword of Astorias - got the weapon trophy followed by the platinum! In the mean time AkariK got killed and the phantom showed up right in front of me at the blacksmith while I was text chatting with AkariK. I'll give him credit, though, in that he seemed to realize I was doing something and he waited for me to move before engaging. I held him off for a bit but the lag eventually caught up to me and he got a few backstabs in (or lagstab as AkariK called it ;)).

Anyway, we met up again so that I could give AkariK my Cursed Greatsword so he can continue to help out others. I can't really do the same since I'm missing all the other second boss soul weapons. Just in case I want to return to the game I backed up my save to PS+ cloud before giving him that. And since I did that, I also unloaded all my slabs and titanite chunks on him ;). I'll just restore it in a day.

In any case, it was nice to get the platinum with only 1 1/2 playthroughs. I really was enjoying the second playthrough, though, and wouldn't have minded finishing it off. But on the other hand, I was done with the early parts and now I was about to head back to stuff I did not that long ago so it would have been less interesting. It was definitely fun going through the early parts knowing where everything was and pretty much owning the game ;).

With the time I saved from finishing off this platinum, I pledge to go back to Demon's Souls and finish that up. But first I think I'll take a break and play either Skyrim or FF XIII-2 next...

[quote name='Rosterking']Oh, yea, I meant to say Iron Golem. I've can get to the boss already as I'm at the bonfire all the way up there.[/QUOTE]

He isn't too bad (note that I was in NG+ where he's probably much harder). Just go human and get Tarkus from the tower (across the bridge from the boss door) and a human summon. People usually put signs right at the boss fog door. Iron Golem has a hell of an attack, but he is pretty slow so you can usually avoid it.

i would recommend after you beat him to touch the ring of light and go to Anor Londo. I didn't do that originally because I wanted to backtrack and get to the bonfire and level up. But that might have been what glitched my trophy. So just go through the light immediately. You can turn right around in Anor Londo and go back. Though the bonfire there is right past the one enemy you encounter. And you can just run past him - no need to engage. Then head out into the open area and down and to the left. To be 100% safe, though, go back to Sen's and to the last bonfire and spend your souls.

My first thought was 'Wow, io sure gets invaded and killed a lot...'. After we finished up, I went on to do a bunch of stuff just for fun (avelyn, mimic helm, a 2nd moonlight sword for the hell of it) and I got invaded a TON at Seath. I have to say, the online on this game got insanely crowded after the patches. Too bad I had finished my plat long before 1.05.

Got the Drake's Sword, but I need 1 more Strength to get it. So...yeah, I'm close to going back to face the Gargoyles. Too bad I died because of some thing I didn't realize was possible (auto parry/reposte by enemies) which cost me another 7200 souls.

Hey, I don't have white soapstone anymore. What gives? I use to have it. I joined several covenants along the way. ( Last one I am in is the Forrest one)

[quote name='Rosterking']Hey, I don't have white soapstone anymore. What gives? I use to have it. I joined several covenants along the way. ( Last one I am in is the Forrest one)[/QUOTE]

you probably put it in your bottomless box.

i freaked out once not finding it in my inventory.. and totally forgot that i put it inside the box when i was cleaning up my stuff.

If you lost it on accident, check the chest behind the pool at Firelink. It holds important items that you might have dropped. Or did you put it in your bottomless box on accident?

[quote name='Backlash']If you lost it on accident, check the chest behind the pool at Firelink. It holds important items that you might have dropped.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - I learn something new about this game all the time. I had no idea about that.

So, I know the chances of DLC for this game are pretty slim, but this is a game where I'd gladly pay $10 for some extra content. I had wanted some for Demons Souls too (that broken arch!). But while DLC comes out like candy from a pinata from games I could care less about, it never comes for these...

It could always be slotted in pretty easily - there are lots of empty corners in Firelink that could be used for a warp point to a new area ala the painting (Ariamis), the "ring of light" (Anor Londo), the gargoyle (return from Anor Londo), or the crow (to and from the Asylum).

[quote name='io']So I went back in again in human form. This time there were 3 summon signs at the top of the steps right inside the Kiln. WTF!? Why didn't I see those earlier or last night? Anyway, the guy I ended up summoning was a pro. Somehow he managed to backstab every black knight. I don't know how that is possible. I can barely even get backstabs when I'm creeping up slowly on an enemy turned the other direction - only seems to work about half the time for me then. It helped a bit that the knights would go after me I suppose.[/QUOTE]

You weren't finding summon signs because you were ridiculously over-leveled for where you were in the game, even in NG+, which also explains why when you did find people, they were really good. They were probably in NG+ or ++.

Furthermore, backstabbing is pretty easy, I pretty much backstab my way through the game when I first started playing. Quick tutorial, block an attack, strafe them, and then lower your shield and attack. It's harder with the spear, but I think you were the one who kept arguing with me about the merits of the lightning spear.

If anyone is still having trouble running past the Hellkite Dragon, just go to the stairs, shoot an arrow at him, and immediately start running for the other side. If you're under 25% equipment burden, you should make it easily.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You weren't finding summon signs because you were ridiculously over-leveled for where you were in the game, even in NG+, which also explains why when you did find people, they were really good. They were probably in NG+ or ++.

Furthermore, backstabbing is pretty easy, I pretty much backstab my way through the game when I first started playing. Quick tutorial, block an attack, strafe them, and then lower your shield and attack. It's harder with the spear, but I think you were the one who kept arguing with me about the merits of the lightning spear.
[/QUOTE]

The first part of what you said makes no sense whatsoever. I said I got plenty of summon signs immediately after getting none on 2 runs through the Kiln and none the night before (same time of day). And this was late Monday night so it wasn't a weekend thing. If I was so ridiculously over-leveled I wouldn't have seen them at all with your logic. (Doesn't matter if they were NG+ or NG++, they were there one time and not just prior). What I thought was funny is how I had none for 2 runs, then 3+ (3 at once, but they kept changing) for a run or two right afterwards.

I also was able to kill some of the invaders in the Kiln. So if they were so incredibly good compared to my weak over-leveledness then how did that happen? You keep telling me (or at least implying) how bad I am at this game.

FWIW, I was able to get some backstabs in during coop - it is much easier when the enemy is distracted by someone else and turned around. The other thing was that I was so accustomed to holding my shield up at all times from Demon's Souls and carried that over to Dark Souls. Later in the game I trained myself to lower it as much as possible during battles for better stamina regen so I didn't always have it up and was finally able to get some backstabs by default. Before that I was hitting lots of enemies in the back via rolls/dodges but nearly always with my shield up.

In any case, this is all old news. I've moved on to FF XIII-2 now. Wow, what a different experience that is from Dark Souls :lol:. It is almost a super-casual game in comparison.

[quote name='io']The first part of what you said makes no sense whatsoever. I said I got plenty of summon signs immediately after getting none on 2 runs through the Kiln and none the night before (same time of day). And this was late Monday night so it wasn't a weekend thing. If I was so ridiculously over-leveled I wouldn't have seen them at all with your logic. (Doesn't matter if they were NG+ or NG++, they were there one time and not just prior). What I thought was funny is how I had none for 2 runs, then 3+ (3 at once, but they kept changing) for a run or two right afterwards.

I also was able to kill some of the invaders in the Kiln. So if they were so incredibly good compared to my weak over-leveledness then how did that happen? You keep telling me how bad I am at this game.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you are awesome at this game compared to me and need to remind me all the time about it. Meanwhile there is someone like AkariK who is cool about things and very helpful. Thanks again AkariK!

FWIW, I was able to get some backstabs in during coop - it is much easier when the enemy is distracted by someone else and turned around. The other thing was that I was so accustomed to holding my shield up at all times from Demon's Souls and carried that over to Dark Souls. Later in the game I trained myself to lower it as much as possible during battles for better stamina regen so I didn't always have it up and was finally able to get some backstabs by default. Before that I was hitting lots of enemies in the back via rolls/dodges but nearly always with my shield up.[/QUOTE]

Because co-op restricts level range to +/- 10 levels + 10% while you can only be invaded by people at a lower SL than you and there is no upper level limit on invasions, so it's entirely possible that you were fighting SL 60 players. You can ask anyone. Level 109 for NG is ridiculously over leveled. Most people beat it around 60-80.

I wouldn't start implying that you're good at the game if you skipped NG+ and summoned your way through NG.

I have given you plenty of advice but you always ignore it.

I never claimed I wasn't "over-leveled" (whatever that means). I messed around a lot at the end and took my time. I wasn't trying to hurry. I spent extra souls on levels when I had them. Big deal.

I'm not sure what advice you are talking about except for not using the spear. I tried some other weapons, didn't like 'em, went back to the spear. That was my preference. I think I did follow your advice on Four Kings and went in two-handing Quelaag's Fury Sword and wearing full Havel armor. If that was you that mentioned that strategy that worked pretty well, then thanks for that (and I did follow it and said so here before). By the way, I did that without a summon ;). I also said just a few days ago how I used that strategy against the Capra Demon in NG+ and it made him super-easy (after he destroyed me with my standard light armor/lightning spear build). So there I applied your advice to a completely different situation - turns out I'm not a complete idiot! Wow!

I certainly never claimed I was some expert at the game (well, good enough to make it through, anyway, but certainly no pro - in fact I've said that many times!). But you constantly tossing out how great you are and how bad I am is completely unnecessary and pretty annoying. What is the point? Especially now that you come in and quote some really old news of mine (from end of NG when I've moved way beyond that) to bring it all up again. You mentioned my "ridiculous over-levelling" as a reason why I didn't get summons when in fact I did get them - so clearly you just wanted to comment on how over-leveled I was to make some sort of point. I just don't get it. I apologize that I used summons here and there and took advantage of AkariK's offer to not have to drudge through to a NG++ when I've already spent 120+ hours on this game. That seems to offend you for some reason that I don't quite get.

It's just a freaking game that I happened to enjoy quite a lot in the way I chose to play it.

Ya, a common thing to show up in that chest is if you drop the ring you need for Four Kings on the ground.

Also one can buy a bow from the male undead merchant in the undead burg (though it looks like you already have one since you got the Drake sword)

Over-leveled means that one is far and above the typical soul level for the area one is currently in and that tends to limit one's summoning options. The forest was likely so vibrant because there is no level restrictions for forest covenant invasions so pretty much anyone of any soul level can invade someone else.

Ok, so I got to Anor Lando today. How can I upgrade pyromancer hand? The pyromancer at the firelink shrine isn't there anymore.:(
I haven't talked to quelana in blighttown.

[quote name='guardian_owl']
Over-leveled means that one is far and above the typical soul level for the area one is currently in and that tends to limit one's summoning options. The forest was likely so vibrant because there is no level restrictions for forest covenant invasions so pretty much anyone of any soul level can invade someone else.[/QUOTE]

Right, but the point was I did see plenty of summons at the Kiln. That was the reason for my original post - it was simply that there were none one time through and 10 minutes later there were a ton and I just thought that was odd. I also saw lots of summon signs in NG+ at a much higher level (120 or so) at the Iron Golem fog door. So I wasn't "over-leveled" for anything, really - it was just that guy's way of taking a jab at me out of the blue ;). And the ones in the Forest that I was talking about were summon signs. I was not surprised by the invasions there so much as the amount of people available to summon for help. There were so many I had a hard time finding AkariK's sign. I had to go in several times and then wait for them to rotate (they seem to fade in and out so others can show up which is pretty interesting). I was surprised at this both because of my level and since the game has been out for a while now. I didn't expect to see that much online activity at 1-2 AM Pacific on a weekday. It's a good thing for more follow-on games (DLC or sequel - I'd like both, please).

[quote name='Rosterking']Ok, so I got to Anor Lando today. How can I upgrade pyromancer hand? The pyromancer at the firelink shrine isn't there anymore.:(
I haven't talked to quelana in blighttown.[/QUOTE]

Talk to Quelana in Blighttown ;).

I am confused as hell about this game. I have a unopened PS3 CE version, and I am not sure if I want to open it up and play it or not. I could not get into games like the Elder Scrolls series so I'm concerned I may not like this one. I have watched numerous vids of gameplay and I still don't know. I do enjoy games like Castlevania LOS, Bayonetta, etc etc. Any suggestions?

[quote name='io']Right, but the point was I did see plenty of summons at the Kiln. That was the reason for my original post - it was simply that there were none one time through and 10 minutes later there were a ton and I just thought that was odd. I also saw lots of summon signs in NG+ at a much higher level (120 or so) at the Iron Golem fog door. So I wasn't "over-leveled" for anything, really - it was just that guy's way of taking a jab at me out of the blue ;). And the ones in the Forest that I was talking about were summon signs. I was not surprised by the invasions there so much as the amount of people available to summon for help. There were so many I had a hard time finding AkariK's sign. I had to go in several times and then wait for them to rotate (they seem to fade in and out so others can show up which is pretty interesting). I was surprised at this both because of my level and since the game has been out for a while now. I didn't expect to see that much online activity at 1-2 AM Pacific on a weekday. It's a good thing for more follow-on games (DLC or sequel - I'd like both, please).

Talk to Quelana in Blighttown ;).[/QUOTE]

Calling you over-leveled isn't an insult, stop being so defensive. I was mistaken about you seeing summon signs but I can guarantee most of them, if not all, are a game or two ahead of you.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Calling you over-leveled isn't an insult, stop being so defensive. I was mistaken about you seeing summon signs but I can guarantee most of them, if not all, are a game or two ahead of you.[/QUOTE]

OK, but then why do you keep bringing up how many more games they are ahead of me? That wasn't the original issue at all - you just brought this all up out of the blue on an old post and used the phrase "ridiculously over-leveled". Am I supposed to just take that as helpful advice, even though I had moved well beyond that area by the time you posted?

Look, I get it. You don't like that I asked a lot of questions here about different bosses early on and that I used summons from time-to-time. But that's the great thing about this game - it can be played in such wildly different ways.

And krashhole, the game is nothing like Elder Scrolls. It's not like Bayonetta either, though. You really just need to give it a shot to see what it's like. Maybe try (the cheaper) Demon's Souls first. Oh what the hell, just open that CE and play it ;).

[quote name='io']OK, but then why do you keep bringing up how many more games they are ahead of me? That wasn't the original issue at all - you just brought this all up out of the blue on an old post and used the phrase "ridiculously over-leveled". Am I supposed to just take that as helpful advice, even though I had moved well beyond that area by the time you posted?

Look, I get it. You don't like that I asked a lot of questions here about different bosses early on and that I used summons from time-to-time. But that's the great thing about this game - it can be played in such wildly different ways.

And krashhole, the game is nothing like Elder Scrolls. It's not like Bayonetta either, though. You really just need to give it a shot to see what it's like. Maybe try (the cheaper) Demon's Souls first. Oh what the hell, just open that CE and play it ;).[/QUOTE]

Because you keep implying that you are not over leveled. What I brought up would be proof that you are over leveled.

I don't care that you asked questions about bosses. I'm pretty sure I gave advice to you on how to beat them. I do think you cheated your way to a platinum that you didn't deserve, but ah well, more power to you.

[quote name='krashhole']I am confused as hell about this game. I have a unopened PS3 CE version, and I am not sure if I want to open it up and play it or not. I could not get into games like the Elder Scrolls series so I'm concerned I may not like this one. I have watched numerous vids of gameplay and I still don't know. I do enjoy games like Castlevania LOS, Bayonetta, etc etc. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
In Elders Scroll series the world and lore are the star of the show, and the gameplay (IE combat) takes a back seat. Dark Souls / Demon's Souls is kinda the inverse. The core combat and difficulty are the core focus and while the environments are varied and moody, they are not to the scale and largeness of the Elder Scroll Series. In both Soul games there are bits and pieces of story, you are just a lone warrior making your way through a land which has been 95% ravaged by evil with pockets of humanity. I lost interest fairly quickly in Oblivion since the combat is so meh and I HATED the leveling system, but the two souls games kept my interest for quite awhile.

Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, God of War etc. are more focused on taking on a great amount of enemies and raking up combos through a flurry of attacks, closer to button mashing. Dark Souls is more focused on skirmishes with you facing 1 vs 1-4 enemies in which you attack, dodge, block, then attack, etc. If you have ever played Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time they basically took that combat system (lock on to one enemy with ability to attack, block, dodge) and built onto it to make it deeper/more realistic.

Every time you block or attack you use up the replenishing stamina gauge. If the stamina gauge reaches zero you can't attack and your guard is broken causing you to be stunned. Every weapon has a 1-handed move set and then with a touch of a button, you can switch to two-handed which gives the weapon a new move set. You attack differently if you attack after dodging backward, dodging forward, dodging sideways, dashing forward, etc. Or if you want to be stealthy you can sneak around and go for backstabs which do quite a bit more damage. With a shield you can either block (and a % of the damage will deplete stamina instead of HP) or if you time it properly you can parry the enemy's attack and follow up with a counterattack which does quite a bit more damage.

---

Like the pathetically low drop rate of the Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls, I consider being forced to complete another iteration of the game for just 1 weapon artificial difficulty. For that reason I had no reservation about receiving a duped Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls and I wouldn't begrudge someone holding onto the cursed Astorias sword so they don't have to do a 3rd playthrough.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Like the pathetically low drop rate of the Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls, I consider being forced to complete another iteration of the game for just 1 weapon artificial difficulty. For that reason I had no reservation about receiving a duped Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls and I wouldn't begrudge someone holding onto the cursed Astorias sword so they don't have to do a 3rd playthrough.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to do a full 3rd playthrough though, just up to Anor Londo, and I'm begrudging io for not even doing a second playthrough.

Hello guys!

Just got my copy of Dark Souls a few days ago (Yeah, late to the party). Loved the hell out of Demon's Souls so I'm currently enjoying my first play through of it.

Anyone got any suggestions for a BBS like sword? Googled a bit and most of the suggestions were to get an upgraded Balder Side Sword. Any other suggestions?

And is it just me or is the game harder? The penalty on dying is massively mitigated compared to Demon Souls but it seems like the enemies are much tougher to defeat. Or... I just have weak weapons.

[quote name='bastiartadi']Hello guys!

Just got my copy of Dark Souls a few days ago (Yeah, late to the party). Loved the hell out of Demon's Souls so I'm currently enjoying my first play through of it.

Anyone got any suggestions for a BBS like sword? Googled a bit and most of the suggestions were to get an upgraded Balder Side Sword. Any other suggestions?

And is it just me or is the game harder? The penalty on dying is massively mitigated compared to Demon Souls but it seems like the enemies are much tougher to defeat. Or... I just have weak weapons.[/QUOTE]
Yea, the enemies are stronger imo. My brother took away my PS3 so I haven't played this game in over a week and stopped at anor londo at first bond fire.

[quote name='Rosterking']Yea, the enemies are stronger imo. My brother took away my PS3 so I haven't played this game in over a week and stopped at anor londo at first bond fire.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems like every enemy will have a chance to kill you as long as they're >2. I kind of miss the penalty on dying tbh.

Started playing this last week. I'm through Anor Londo and Blighttown. Dark feels much more fantasy, while Demon's felt more gritty, dark and oppressive.

From what I've dabbled and read about the covenants, though, Dark's got the edge in RPG stuffs. Demon's had cool bits of backstory and stuff to be found in the game world, but Dark probably has 100 times that.

The backstabbing done by invaders is just beyond stupid, though. It was pretty bad and glitchy in Demon's, but it's flat out embarrassing in Dark.

I beat this game on my xbox before it red ringed, but I just recently picked this up for the Ps3, can't wait to dig in and play the PvP on the Ps3 seems more abundant then the xbox because it was released first in Japan on the Ps3.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Like the pathetically low drop rate of the Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls, I consider being forced to complete another iteration of the game for just 1 weapon artificial difficulty. For that reason I had no reservation about receiving a duped Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls and I wouldn't begrudge someone holding onto the cursed Astorias sword so they don't have to do a 3rd playthrough.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I agree entirely. I put in the effort and time on this game (120+ hours). It's not like holding a couple extra weapons gave me the platinum after just 10 hours of play or something.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You don't have to do a full 3rd playthrough though, just up to Anor Londo, and I'm begrudging io for not even doing a second playthrough.[/QUOTE]

I haven't even read this thread since my last post in early Feb, but this is just hilarious. I need to finish up that plat on Demon's Souls just to piss you off even more (as in that game someone let me hold the pure bladestone weapon and some of the rings). But I'm too absorbed in Mass Effect right now to bother with that. And hey, I played Mass Effect 2 through 3 or 4 times. I forget exactly - one or two times regular and again on insanity (to get all the achievements) and am playing again currently for the DLC and to get the correct story elements in line for ME3.

The point is I tend to spend a lot of time playing a single game and obsess over getting every item/sidequest/trophy. It's gotten to the point where I won't even start games that I know I'll sink 100+ hours into (eg, Skyrim) because I don't want to get tied down to a single game for so long. If I can shave a few hours off using a valid, in-game mechanism (sharing items via coop play is not a glitch) then I have no qualms about doing so.

I could only imagine the mods/hacks that would ensue. I'd bet someone would find a way to create a true co-op mode as well. So many possibilities, but I'm not sure I'd bother with a PC port TBH.

Argh, have to wait until Winter. Oh well, I'll get it then. Haven't played in a few months now, and by then I'l probably just play through the whole game again a few times.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I wonder if they are delaying to winter so that they can release a new prepare to die edition for consoles for Christmas or something.[/QUOTE]

For now it seems that the CE contents remain as a PC exclusive and consoles just get a re-release according to the photos on their FB page. Also, the price of the dlc is set at $14.99

EU PS3 - Prepare to Die Edition cover.
25iauza.jpg

PC "Exclusive" - Prepare to Die Edition.
2woxeuv.jpg

I just hope the DLC is easily accessible from anywhere in the game, like a portal in the Firelink Shrine or something. I don't want to be made to go through any areas to get to the DLC.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just hope the DLC is easily accessible from anywhere in the game, like a portal in the Firelink Shrine or something. I don't want to be made to go through any areas to get to the DLC.[/QUOTE]

From the trailer it looks to be located where you fight the Hydra. I bet From Software will release it and let people figure out where it's at. I normally don't buy DLC for games without a sale but I will get this day 1. The trailer looks awesome.

[quote name='Bumslie']From the trailer it looks to be located where you fight the Hydra. I bet From Software will release it and let people figure out where it's at. I normally don't buy DLC for games without a sale but I will get this day 1. The trailer looks awesome.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, that would be awesomely "in the spirit" of the game.

"OK, you bought the DLC expansion content. Good for you. Now go explore and find it"

You'd need to kill the Hydra to get access to the area, and probably need to find some item in a completely different area to access it (with in game item description hints of course)

And which Hydra are you referring to? The one in the forest lake or the one that glitch-dies as it chases you to the Dragon Covenant?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Hahaha, that would be awesomely "in the spirit" of the game.

"OK, you bought the DLC expansion content. Good for you. Now go explore and find it"

You'd need to kill the Hydra to get access to the area, and probably need to find some item in a completely different area to access it (with in game item description hints of course)

And which Hydra are you referring to? The one in the forest lake or the one that glitch-dies as it chases you to the Dragon Covenant?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing on which Hydra it could be. I would guess it's the Hydra by the lake in Dark Root. The reason cause it seems there is a forest that's a lot brighter. I'm going to finish up my Platinum before this is out. I can't wait for this and glad From Software has made this DLC.

bread's done
Back