Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

[quote name='Kevfactor']almost done with the depths . killed those cursed frog $$$s and found a neat ring and killed the sorcerer guy making the dragon harder. just got to get a tial kill run (been having trouble killing his tail!)and im off to the next death.:)

havn't had much time recently with batman and my friends wanting to play gears hehe.[/QUOTE]

Gears is so good, still haven't even opened Batman yet.

playing my "legit" run through with an estoc, no magic, no pyro, and it is hell. sword looks really fucking cool but hits for 15. i haven't taken any shortcuts and i'm mainly getting through entirely on using the enviorment and strategy. it makes for a very slow playthrough but it is so very satisfying. cleared gargs, cap, gaping, quelaag, and butterfree. started in on sen's and it finally getting easier. with all the traps and ledges around i can easily lure most of the enemies to their deaths.

bosses are another matter entirely. it is the most tedious thing ever to fight a boss and do 20 damage a hit. gaping dragon took me no joke 30 minutes to beat. i know how to beat everything its just tedious and you can't afford to make mistakes. all points in vit. next step is to take a trip to the catacombs to hopefully make this estoc a fire estoc.

Wow, even though I played Demon's Souls a lot (and should be familiar with at least some terminology), it seems like you guys aren't even talking about the same game I'm playing. I started Dark Souls last night and am about 5 hours in. I am still trying to kill that first golden knight thing in the castle and get past that first boss (the Bull Demon). :lol: I have no problem with normal enemies but those two are keeping me from getting anywhere. I did venture down what was apparently the wrong way when I first started (down to where the graveyard/skeletons are) and snagged the winged spear. That has been awesome for skewering the normal enemies and is exactly how I played Demon's Souls. I concentrated on leveling up strength/dexterity so I could wield it with a shield, though I kind of prefer just using it by itself as you can be much faster that way.

I'm assuming I can get magic, though, at some point because I have none now and it is making things kind of tedious.

I've deciced against using any sort of guide (this is the first time I've even looked in here - just taking a break from endless grinding on that same section of the castle). I know I'll probably miss all kinds of crap, but if there's anything absolutely crucial that I should be grabbing early on, or something I can miss easily, please let me know.

Also, I see a lot about invading players. I avoided those entirely in Demon's Souls by playing in phantom form. Can you do the same sort of thing with Dark Souls? I have a hard enough time with regular stuff, I don't need people messing with me too! I see something about hallowing and kindling in the menu but have no idea what they do.

And I got the platinum. My playtime was about 93-94 hours.

[quote name='io']
Also, I see a lot about invading players. I avoided those entirely in Demon's Souls by playing in phantom form. Can you do the same sort of thing with Dark Souls? I have a hard enough time with regular stuff, I don't need people messing with me too! I see something about hallowing and kindling in the menu but have no idea what they do.[/QUOTE]
I just sent you a PSN message!

The whole "reverse hollowing" at the bottom of the bonfire menu is basically turning from phantom form to human form. If the little double zero (or whatever number happens to be in there) in the corner next to your life/stamina bar is black then you won't be invaded or anything.

That number is your "humanity". You can spend humanity to revive (the numbers will turn white in this case) and you'll be able to summon/invade. If you're revived, you'll also be able to spend humanity to kindle a bonfire. Normally bonfires only give you a 5 refill of estus flasks, if you kindle the bonfire, you'll get 10 (a couple bonfires are special and will give you 10 without kindling). And once you kindle a bonfire, it will always be kindled (even in NG+).

fuck... So I just read through the Gamespot walkthrough of the first few areas and I just realized I somehow missed the Pyromancy Flame in the asylum. WTF!? It looks like in that walkthrough you go right past it. I went all over that place looking for stuff and was pretty sure I got everything. So I've had no magic the whole game so far - wonderful.

My question is, do any merchants sell that or did I just completely miss out? Why couldn't the first merchant in the castle have that (along with any other things you might miss but absolutely need)? But he sells no magic at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the equipment you find in the tutorial asylum level is completely different depending on what class you start as. In the walkthrough you watched they were likely playing as a Pyromancer so that is part of his starting equipment. I started as a wanderer so all I found in the asylum was some light armor items, a scimitar, and a shield.

Fairly early in the game you will be able to find/buy talismen, catalysts, flames and spells from different NPCs..

You'll get it at some point, don't worry.

Make sure you do get it though. It's been a lifesaver for me on many of the bosses because the fireballs and shit do so much more damage than you will in a few swings.

[quote name='IRHari']You'll get it at some point, don't worry.

Make sure you do get it though. It's been a lifesaver for me on many of the bosses because the fireballs and shit do so much more damage than you will in a few swings.[/QUOTE]

I concur. Especially after you level up the Pyromancy Flame several times. I should really go back and up that to +15, but that will have to wait until I kill the Stray Demon tonight.

Where I am at in the game, I am not sure I really like the open world concept. At least I had some idea where to go in Demon Souls. At the point I am at, unless I were to look online or in the guide, I would not have ever figured out to go back to where the Stray Demon is located.

i seena clip were ya drop a cracked orb in that birds nest and he flies ya back to teh prison

edit here is the clip hehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K2QROOIEw8

its about curses but it'll help ya get back there and get the flame like after the 1st boss.
btw was so mad when i got cursed! had liek 4 bars of sorcerer hp and it got cut down to 2 so was wondering wtf curses that shit :)

[quote name='lurkingsalt']How many hours did you clock in?[/QUOTE]
~100 but I did a lot of PvP/trolling.
[quote name='Brainberry']I whole seath's tail sucks.

On top of him spinning around like a top you have to cut off the very tip of the tail. I just cut off the tip and didn't get the sword. i feel like majority of the people who were able to get it had help.[/QUOTE]
I cut it off twice without help. First time he raged and sent it flying into a corner, which I risked death to get before killing him to make sure I got it. Second time it just fell to the ground and I picked it up without a problem. The tail is pretty huge, so you just have to find the right spot at the tip.

It's the best PvP sword IMO since you don't stagger from hitting shields with it, allowing you to swing until their stamina breaks and keep going.
[quote name='crystalklear64']playing my "legit" run through with an estoc, no magic, no pyro, and it is hell. sword looks really fucking cool but hits for 15. i haven't taken any shortcuts and i'm mainly getting through entirely on using the enviorment and strategy. it makes for a very slow playthrough but it is so very satisfying. cleared gargs, cap, gaping, quelaag, and butterfree. started in on sen's and it finally getting easier. with all the traps and ledges around i can easily lure most of the enemies to their deaths.

bosses are another matter entirely. it is the most tedious thing ever to fight a boss and do 20 damage a hit. gaping dragon took me no joke 30 minutes to beat. i know how to beat everything its just tedious and you can't afford to make mistakes. all points in vit. next step is to take a trip to the catacombs to hopefully make this estoc a fire estoc.[/QUOTE]
Lol, you're doing something wrong with your build hitting for so low. Stop using a wimpy sword and get a good 2H since parry builds blow. And yeah it's satisfying using no magic because you actually have to learn2dodge and can't cheese all your fights by being a mile away from the action lol.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']And once you kindle a bonfire, it will always be kindled (even in NG+).[/QUOTE]
Woah, woah, woah; I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. I'm almost positive any bonfires I kindled would return to normal after a while and what does happen is other players online can kindle them for you and that's why you get +10. The incentive to kindle is not only for yourself but so that nearby players get +1 added to a max of 15 if they don't use any. So to review, kindling is like stoking a fire so it blazes but eventually dies down again.[quote name='io']fuck... So I just read through the Gamespot walkthrough of the first few areas and I just realized I somehow missed the Pyromancy Flame in the asylum. WTF!? It looks like in that walkthrough you go right past it. I went all over that place looking for stuff and was pretty sure I got everything. So I've had no magic the whole game so far - wonderful.

My question is, do any merchants sell that or did I just completely miss out? Why couldn't the first merchant in the castle have that (along with any other things you might miss but absolutely need)? But he sells no magic at all.[/QUOTE]Dude Io, just do yourself a favor and use the guide I wrote back on page 40. It does contain some spoilers, but no boss strats and is only designed so that you don't miss anything crucial to trophies. Trust me, there's a shitload going on at any given time and keeping track of it all is a bitch, which is why I wrote it. It seriously helped me get my plat because I almost forgot to do a few things during my NG+ (and I wrote the thing lol).

Also, Pyromancy Flame is ONLY in the tutorial if you're a pyromancer. The GameSpot guide sounds like it's shit (surprise, surprise).

So I'm trying to find a use for the Dragon Scale other than leveling up the Drake Sword as well as offering them up to the stone dragon, is there any other use?

[quote name='jacknicklson']They upgrade dragon weapons/armor

And Jodou, kindled bonfires stick throughout your playthroughs. Its only the Rite of Kindle you need to acquire[/QUOTE]
Is there a weapon worth upgrading through dragon scales that will blow out other competitions?
Also, I'm trying to find the best shield for a low STR character, is there a shield like the Steel Shield in DS, or like the Dark Silver shield?

Hollow soldier shield requires 11
Knight's shield requires 10
Spider shield is 10
Kite shield is 10

Those are all solid

Just save your dragon scales until end game and decide if you like any of the gear that requires them.

[quote name='jacknicklson']And Jodou, kindled bonfires stick throughout your playthroughs. Its only the Rite of Kindle you need to acquire[/QUOTE]
So the reason I thought they reset was because of the rite, that makes sense. God damn this game is too confusing.
[quote name='AzzidReign']Is there a weapon worth upgrading through dragon scales that will blow out other competitions?
Also, I'm trying to find the best shield for a low STR character, is there a shield like the Steel Shield in DS, or like the Dark Silver shield?[/QUOTE]
The best shield in the game is Havel's for protection, but it requires 50 STR and weighs 24 lbs. For your character, Dragon Crest Shield and Crest Shield are the best options since that's all I used pending the situation (magic vs fire).

For dragon scales, I upgraded the Moonlight Sword to +5 for PvP and it rocks. I would wait until you decide what sword you want to use first, because there are quite a few.

[quote name='Jodou']So the reason I thought they reset was because of the rite, that makes sense. God damn this game is too confusing.

The best shield in the game is Havel's for protection, but it requires 50 STR and weighs 24 lbs. For your character, Dragon Crest Shield and Crest Shield are the best options since that's all I used pending the situation (magic vs fire).

For dragon scales, I upgraded the Moonlight Sword to +5 for PvP and it rocks. I would wait until you decide what sword you want to use first, because there are quite a few.[/QUOTE]
But as far as we know there are no shields that can be upgraded using demon stones...?

[quote name='AzzidReign']But as far as we know there are no shields that can be upgraded using demon stones...?[/QUOTE]
Oh, I have no idea. I actually never upgraded any of my shields because it doesn't increase the damage mitigation at all (just adds stability, meh). Those two shields I mentioned just offer the best protection and weight for the situation.

Dude, this article really opened my eyes for a seconds. I realize just how carebear I've become, bitching about how I preferred Demon's Souls because it gave a general sense of direction. The article is totally right and since I was only five at the time when I played Metroid and Zelda, I never completed either game until years later. Still, with Zelda I cheated my ass off using the strategy guide from Nintendo (aww yeah) and for the longest time I was stuck on what I called the "Kitty Knights" because their helmets looked like cat faces lol. Metroid I was just too young to understand what to do, but every time I played it I'd get a little farther and that's just how DS plays out.

We've become too homogenized for instant-gratification that enjoying the journey like those games has become strained and learning where to go has been lost as the epitome of game design. This really is a love letter to our childhood since the experiences are very similar.

Not to mention trophies/achievements drives people toward treating a game like a to-do list instead of just enjoying the journey. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Can you imagine what a bitch Metroid would have been if you felt like you HAD to find all the missiles?

Also, I used the Heater shield for quite awhile. You get it super-early in the game (1000 souls from the undead merchant) and it blocks 100% physical and decent on the other stats and only weights 2 pounds! Really nice until you upgrade your endurance and get some better shields a bit later (which all weigh 2-3 pounds more), meaning you need 8-12 more points in endurance with the same armor to stay under 25%).

[quote name='AzzidReign']But as far as we know there are no shields that can be upgraded using demon stones...?[/QUOTE]

Crystal Ring Shield can be upgraded with Demon Titanite.

[quote name='Backlash']Not to mention trophies/achievements drives people toward treating a game like a to-do list instead of just enjoying the journey.[/QUOTE]
I'm totally guilty of this to an extent, but it's a love/hate relationship with trophies. When they're really well designed, it actually extends my experience with the game to do some things I otherwise would have never done. When I really dig a game, I go in wanting to do this now but how can you tell beforehand what type of experience that will bring? It's really hard to balance. I look at a game like Batman, which I know will kick ass and I'll want to plat it so I can see everything it has to offer, yet people talk about the grind so it's like do I half-ass it? Not bother at all? I almost feel like a game isn't complete until that magic platinum pops.

That's not to say I won't say forget about it. 3D Dot Game Heroes I decided very early on that with as difficult as the mini-games were I wasn't even going to waste my time despite really liking the game. Then there's situations like HD collections where they sort of inspire you to playthrough a game again, but after a point the trophies require grinding or overcoming time trials that just aren't that fun. At that point, I really don't know what to make of it. At any rate, that's a conversation for another thread so I'll leave it at that.

[quote name='Jodou']Woah, woah, woah; I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. I'm almost positive any bonfires I kindled would return to normal after a while and what does happen is other players online can kindle them for you and that's why you get +10. The incentive to kindle is not only for yourself but so that nearby players get +1 added to a max of 15 if they don't use any. So to review, kindling is like stoking a fire so it blazes but eventually dies down again.[/QUOTE]

There's no way this is true. I had 20 flasks at all my bonfires throughout NG++ with only having kindled 3 times near the end of my first playthrough.

[quote name='AzzidReign']Is there a weapon worth upgrading through dragon scales that will blow out other competitions?
Also, I'm trying to find the best shield for a low STR character, is there a shield like the Steel Shield in DS, or like the Dark Silver shield?[/QUOTE]
I used dragon scales to upgrade the moonlight sword, like Jodou.
There are also the Dragon Tooth (a club), Dragon Greatsword and Dragon Greataxe. And, that's all I remember upgrading with dragon scales.

For the most part, demon tritanite is just used to upgrade weapons made from boss souls.

Thanks for the link to that article Jodou. I have some friends I need to show that to because they need a wake-up call. I hate how they only see games majority of the time (only as achievements/trophies and complaining about nonsense).

I am sad/upset! I faught Priscilla last night, and I thought somewhere throughout the fight she'd become visible, at least for a bit or something, so I could focus on her tail or whatever. But no, she never did, and I killed her and didn't get to cut it off! I'm sad... because I'm gonna have to fight her/mess around in the Painted World in NG+, and I was trying to avoid that lol. Oh well... I'll manage somehow hehe.

@Chibi - I thought Dragon Tooth was a hammer of sorts?

Priscillas Dagger can also be upgraded via dragon scales. I've found daggers are excellent for people who use RoF, since you can spam the hell out of the attack and bring their stamina down fairly quickly, even without having to lock on.

[quote name='twiceborn']Priscillas Dagger can also be upgraded via dragon scales. I've found daggers are excellent for people who use RoF, since you can spam the hell out of the attack and bring their stamina down fairly quickly, even without having to lock on.[/QUOTE]
Lol, that would require them to stand perfectly still and let you get close without attacking. Daggers have very short reach and you'd be cut down to size pretty fast by anyone with a greatsword or magic. I suppose in all my PvP there were a few droolers that have no clue what they were doing, though.

Also, the dragon bone fists (or something like that) are upgraded using dragon scales. I believe this is also the only weapon made from a boss soul that isn't upgraded with demon tritanite.

[quote name='WillThatsWho']Thanks for the link to that article Jodou. I have some friends I need to show that to because they need a wake-up call. I hate how they only see games majority of the time (only as achievements/trophies and complaining about nonsense).

I am sad/upset! I faught Priscilla last night, and I thought somewhere throughout the fight she'd become visible, at least for a bit or something, so I could focus on her tail or whatever. But no, she never did, and I killed her and didn't get to cut it off! I'm sad... because I'm gonna have to fight her/mess around in the Painted World in NG+, and I was trying to avoid that lol. Oh well... I'll manage somehow hehe.

@Chibi - I thought Dragon Tooth was a hammer of sorts?[/QUOTE]

Priscilla is annoying. The two times I fought her, it seemed like all you had to do was hit her a couple times while she was invisible then she'd turn visible, but maybe you have to hit her a couple times quickly.

Also, the Dragon Tooth is listed in the category of "great hammers", but so are other club weapons. I've never actually used it, but the picture in the menu just looks like a big club.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, you're doing something wrong with your build hitting for so low. Stop using a wimpy sword and get a good 2H since parry builds blow. And yeah it's satisfying using no magic because you actually have to learn2dodge and can't cheese all your fights by being a mile away from the action lol.[/QUOTE]
Well I've had 2 previous no magic characters but I'd always used the Drake Sword or Zweihander/Dragon Greatsword which just makes the game way too easy. So far though I haven't found a happy medium. I either use a Drake Sword or an Ultra Greatsword and rape everything, or I use any other weapon and hit for nothing. It is my style to use the weapons that hit for a ton but you're fucked if you miss, but I want to make something else work. I feel like its the only viable way to play the game which just doesn't make sense. I WILL MAKE THESE SHITTY WEAPONS WORK!

I know the game gives you the tools to get through this, I just haven't found those tools yet since I never had to worry about it with the Drake Sword. The x3 pine resin you get from the chest in the undead burg has been an ass saver but I used those up on the bosses already. During the Quelaag fight I actually had to equip that shit since it wasn't on my hotbar. I also had a weapon break while fighting Sif and just switched to whatever was next on the list. Unfortunately it was a broken sword hilt. Then the next was the halberd but I had to 2 hand it so it was fun having to switch stances whenever I wanted to attack.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Also, the dragon bone fists (or something like that) are upgraded using dragon scales. I believe this is also the only weapon made from a boss soul that isn't upgraded with demon tritanite.

Priscilla is annoying. The two times I fought her, it seemed like all you had to do was hit her a couple times while she was invisible then she'd turn visible, but maybe you have to hit her a couple times quickly.

Also, the Dragon Tooth is listed in the category of "great hammers", but so are other club weapons. I've never actually used it, but the picture in the menu just looks like a big club.[/QUOTE]
Havel (the dude in the undead burg tower who's basement leads to the forest/hydra) uses the dragon's tooth so you can see it there.

Parry builds are awesome when you know how to parry.

I don't even use a shield, just a chaos uchi or lightning washing pole and a fire shotel to parry.

No armor doing backflips and parrying=fun

[quote name='Brainberry']Parry builds are awesome when you know how to parry.

I don't even use a shield, just a chaos uchi or lightning washing pole and a fire shotel to parry.

No armor doing backflips and parrying=fun[/QUOTE]
Here's the problem though: by the time you start hitting endgame, everything is too large to parry. At that point breaking through the armor is just a huge pain.

I expected Sif to be harder :( I honestly think they should have made him more mobile/agile, faster recovery from his attacks, more attack patterns? Maybe toss his sword in the air, it lands (makes medium sockwave) then he attacks you with his paws/teeth chomp you aggressively for a little? Some tail spins? Sorry if I'm ranting/complaining, just felt like they could have made him more of a challenge.

[quote name='Jasonofindy']I'm pretty sure the equipment you find in the tutorial asylum level is completely different depending on what class you start as. In the walkthrough you watched they were likely playing as a Pyromancer so that is part of his starting equipment. I started as a wanderer so all I found in the asylum was some light armor items, a scimitar, and a shield.

Fairly early in the game you will be able to find/buy talismen, catalysts, flames and spells from different NPCs..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was a Wanderer too. OK, so that makes sense. That stupid Gamespot walkthrough was all I coudl find. I didn't pay attention to what character they picked at the beginning since I had already done that. Clearly, though, that effects a lot of what they say afterwards from that pyromancy flame to boss strategies. They talk about using magic on a lot of enemies and I couldn't even do that at that stage. So, yeah, it is usless unless you follow it completely :roll:.

[quote name='Jodou'].Dude Io, just do yourself a favor and use the guide I wrote back on page 40. It does contain some spoilers, but no boss strats and is only designed so that you don't miss anything crucial to trophies. Trust me, there's a shitload going on at any given time and keeping track of it all is a bitch, which is why I wrote it. It seriously helped me get my plat because I almost forgot to do a few things during my NG+ (and I wrote the thing lol).

Also, Pyromancy Flame is ONLY in the tutorial if you're a pyromancer. The GameSpot guide sounds like it's shit (surprise, surprise).[/QUOTE]

I'll check it out. I'm kind of in a dilemma too because on the one hand I'd just like to experience the game with no prior knowledge or guide and play it like that article mentions (exploring, being surprised by new things, etc). But on the other hand, I know it will take a lot of time and work to get all the secrets (and trophies) and I'd like to get a leg up on that on my first playthrough. I did that with Demon's Souls and it worked out well. I never got the platinum, but I'm really close and have all the hard stuff done - just need to finish off 2 more worlds to get the souls I need for the last 2 spells. I'll go back to it after I put some time into Dark Souls (since I'm re-learning the combat now).

In any case, I'll check out what you wrote as maybe that will be enough for me right now.

As for the first method, though, I did figure out how to get by the Taurus Demon on my own. I looked afterwards and the Gamespot guide mentioned it was really hard to melee him (check) and magic didn't work well (which I didn't have anyway) so they had some way of making him fall off the edge. Plus they mentioned climbing up and jumping down on him - I didn't even realize that area was climbable. I was taking the archers out with arrows and then fighting him afterwards. What worked pretty easily, though, was firebombs. That is something I never really used in Demon's Souls. They worked great on that guy though.

And damn - so many things that you can get with that stupid Master Key. I knew I should have gotten that. Instead I picked some health boosting ring... Dammit... Wondering if I should start over or not?

I was shocked yesterday when I invaded someone in Undead Parish Church. Right as the host's world loaded, it showed me the Gargoyle Boss intro movie with their character. I was so ecstatic because I was going to fight someone as they were going to fight a boss. After the intro movie ended, I instantly got disconnected from host though. I think I connected to that guy right as he entered the fog gate. That would've been so epic if it let me stay!

Anyhow, I was really hoping to finish my first playthrough before BF3 comes out, but at this rate it doesn't seem like it. Spent way too much time (basically all week) PVPing. Last part of the story I did was placing the Lordvessel on the alter. So I still have a lot of areas left to go through.

[quote name='WillThatsWho']I expected Sif to be harder :( I honestly think they should have made him more mobile/agile, faster recovery from his attacks, more attack patterns? Maybe toss his sword in the air, it lands (makes medium sockwave) then he attacks you with his paws/teeth chomp you aggressively for a little? Some tail spins? Sorry if I'm ranting/complaining, just felt like they could have made him more of a challenge.[/QUOTE]
You're not alone. Sif was THE fight I was looking forward to ever since the trailer and he's a wimp. He practically throws the fight every time he pounces at you.
[quote name='io']And damn - so many things that you can get with that stupid Master Key. I knew I should have gotten that. Instead I picked some health boosting ring... Dammit... Wondering if I should start over or not?[/QUOTE]
Your call, but my guide is written with the assumption that you take the Master Key. There's a few places that it will save you a ton of time and backtracking anyway.

Just beat Four Kings, now all I have left is Lost Izalith boss, Nito, and Seath. Totally NOT looking forward to fighting Four Kings in NG+, they destroyed Witch Beatrice.

[quote name='IRHari']Just beat Four Kings, now all I have left is Lost Izalith boss, Nito, and Seath. Totally NOT looking forward to fighting Four Kings in NG+, they destroyed Witch Beatrice.[/QUOTE]
It's a cinch if you put on Havel's Armor and just start a 2H home run derby.

I did that, wound up saving my ass. Luckily I got Rite of Kindling before that so I had 20 potions to burn thorugh, only needed about 5-6.

It's weird though; after I put on HAVEl's armor I'm not able to cast iron skin, or magic barrier, or great magic shield. I have the talisman/catalyst/pyro flame equipped but it wouldn't let me, it was grayed out. Only stopped graying out when I took the armor off. what's up with that?

Gravelord Nito was pretty easy, just 2H the Fury Sword and swing away Merrill.

fuck those babby skeletons, man.
They tore my ass up.

[quote name='IRHari']Just beat Four Kings, now all I have left is Lost Izalith boss, Nito, and Seath. Totally NOT looking forward to fighting Four Kings in NG+, they destroyed Witch Beatrice.[/QUOTE]

Four Kings on NG+ was the hardest time I had in the game.

I momentarily gave up and went to The Duke's Archive first. Then I got a second great magic shield, crystal soul spear, homing crystal soulmass. Then went back with 2 of each of those spells equipped and made them wish they had never been born.

Maybe I should go back through Duke's Archives on NG++ just so I can have 3 great magic shields and 3 homing crystal soulmasses equipped. Then I can troll pvp like crazy since great magic shield currently makes you invincible. No one would suspect that I'd have 9 charges.

Do the homing soul masses only fire when you're at the weak spot of an enemy? I had a couple surrounding me and they wouldn't launch against the centipede guys in Demon Ruins. Their front was facing me though, like I said maybe their back has to be facing you for the things to fire?

[quote name='IRHari']Do the homing soul masses only fire when you're at the weak spot of an enemy? I had a couple surrounding me and they wouldn't launch against the centipede guys in Demon Ruins. Their front was facing me though, like I said maybe their back has to be facing you for the things to fire?[/QUOTE]

Not that I'm aware of. They can sometimes be a little finicky though, and make you get closer to the enemy to make them fire.

Just circumcised that fuckface Seath. Had no idea he goes berzerk with his tail if you stay near his middle one too long. Killed me a bunch of times.

Farmed a shitload of Demon Titanite. What's the best boss weapon to use if you're melee?

[quote name='Jodou']You're not alone. Sif was THE fight I was looking forward to ever since the trailer and he's a wimp. He practically throws the fight every time he pounces at you.

Your call, but my guide is written with the assumption that you take the Master Key. There's a few places that it will save you a ton of time and backtracking anyway.[/QUOTE]

Dammit - and this Havel armor that you mentioned before is yet another Master Key thing, right?

Can you get the Master Key on NG+ or are you stuck with whatever you chose originally?

I played another 4-5 hours last night so now I'm like 16 in. I may have to restart though. fucking A.... I guess it will be a lot faster though since I know how to get through the early parts now. But then again, I gained a lot of levels with some grinding...

[quote name='io']Dammit - and this Havel armor that you mentioned before is yet another Master Key thing, right?

Can you get the Master Key on NG+ or are you stuck with whatever you chose originally?[/QUOTE]

All your keys disappear, including master. BUT you can pick a gift again, so go with master key.

Like Jodou said, it is the ONLY item that you can't get anywhere else. No reason not to pick it.

You WILL be able to get Havel's armor and ring and all that stuff, don't worry.

[quote name='IRHari']All your keys disappear, including master. BUT you can pick a gift again, so go with master key.

Like Jodou said, it is the ONLY item that you can't get anywhere else. No reason not to pick it.

You WILL be able to get Havel's armor and ring and all that stuff, don't worry.[/QUOTE]

I got a master key on N+ in the first locked door in undead burg, but you're gonna need to buy a resident key to get in from the undead merchant

[quote name='Jodou']I never got to pick a second gift and I still had my Master Key in NG+. What are you guys talking about?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, same here.
Honestly, I think you shouldn't really use the master key in your first playthrough, but if you're going for the platinum, you really need the master key.
Skipping the depths and blighttown on subsequent playthroughs saves many hours of annoyance.

bread's done
Back