Darksiders II

[quote name='GUNNM']^ At least watch the ending credit. Gave me a chill when I first saw it. ^__^[/QUOTE]

Okay, I finally got around to watching the ending of the first game on youtube. Very cool! That very last scene, especially, was pretty badass. Makes me wish I hadn't given up on it back when it came out.

I THink this ones gong to be great. I hope it's enough to keep THQ afloat though. They are in some financial trouble. I'd hate to see the franchise go under after this iteration.
If THQ goes under though, I hope somebody else picks up the franchise or outright buys THQ keeping the staff to put out the next(posibly last if hte rumors of it being coop are true(playing both Strife and Fury) game.

Losing the rights to UFC and hoping an action platformer keeps your company from going belly up is not a good spot for THQ. :(

From Destructoid's Jim Sterling's twitter feed:

Jim Sterling ‏@JimSterling Since I am embargoed, I cannot tell you that Darksiders II is good, guys. I will tell you it's good on August 14.

GUNNM:
THQ was losing money on UFC. I thought everyone knew that? In almost all the news related to them losing the franchise, it was mentioned that it was not a profit center for them. It seems like they dropped it to try to stay in business.
http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/06/08/thq-had-been-losing-money-on-ufc

Thanks Blaster, I didn't follow THQ all that much to be honest, just what I heard here and there. I'm kinda glad they dropped the UFC stuff(sorry if you were a fan), but if it keeps them from drowning then good for them. I hope the strategy works. From the advertising on Darksiders II, I'd say they are banking on this being a big seller. I'm looking forward to it so much.

[quote name='Blaster man']
If Darksiders 2 flops, THQ is ruined. If it's a hit, we still might get another Saint's Row game, Company of Heroes 2, South Park the Stick of Truth, and others.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...when you put it like that, maybe I won't mind if it doesn't succeed. Even if it is a hit, they will bankrupt themselves before they get to a DS3 likely.

[quote name='Blaster man']From Destructoid's Jim Sterling's twitter feed:

Jim Sterling ‏@JimSterling Since I am embargoed, I cannot tell you that Darksiders II is good, guys. I will tell you it's good on August 14.
[/QUOTE]

That's what I want to hear. I'm not a big Jim Sterling fan, but that was pretty slick. So far, the vibe seems to be pretty good. Games like this, and I'll make a comparison to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are great because they take the best of traditional game design (N64 to PS2 era) and put that current gen polish on it. I love the more recent cinematic games, but going back to gaming roots every once in a while is refreshing.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Hmmm...when you put it like that, maybe I won't mind if it doesn't succeed. Even if it is a hit, they will bankrupt themselves before they get to a DS3 likely.[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit confused, why would they bankrupt themselves if it's a hit? They closed a lot of internal studios, quit making kids games, and have made a commitment to only putting games out when they are ready. I think the quality of THQ releases going forward has the potential to be much higher than in the past.

Comes out tomorrow! Here's to hoping I can score a Collectors Edition at Best Buy when I go to pick up my LE preorder. (shut up! I can dream! :wink: )

I have a question and hopefully someone can help me out.

I didn't get a chance to get in and pre-order this. I have a couple games I want to trade in to eat up the cost some.

If I pre-order online, can I take my trades in, get a refund when I pick the game up, and then re-buy without losing my pre-order stuff?

[quote name='krashhole']I have a question and hopefully someone can help me out.

I didn't get a chance to get in and pre-order this. I have a couple games I want to trade in to eat up the cost some.

If I pre-order online, can I take my trades in, get a refund when I pick the game up, and then re-buy without losing my pre-order stuff?[/QUOTE]

Yikes, my initial thought is that would be at the store's discretion. A lot of Best Buy's are real dicks about stuff like that. I did have some good luck once though when I bought some games online from them with in-store pickup on a Saturday then on Sunday they were buy 2 get one free. They let me do a return/rebuy and get one of the games free. So the answer would be a maybe. Probably call all your local best buy's until you talk to a manager that will let you do it, then go to that store and do the transaction.

[quote name='Blaster man']Yikes, my initial thought is that would be at the store's discretion. A lot of Best Buy's are real dicks about stuff like that. I did have some good luck once though when I bought some games online from them with in-store pickup on a Saturday then on Sunday they were buy 2 get one free. They let me do a return/rebuy and get one of the games free. So the answer would be a maybe. Probably call all your local best buy's until you talk to a manager that will let you do it, then go to that store and do the transaction.[/QUOTE]That's my concern. I mainly want to take advantage of the pre-order stuff. Maybe I will just wait and do my trades first and then just buy the game.

Picked up the sweet Angel of Death edition at best buy. They had one collectors edition in the entire district.....so no upgrade. :( I did sell the angel of death dlc on eBay for $25 already since it'll be available on xbl eventually.

Can't wait to play!! The destructiod and shipwrecks reviews have me hyped up!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Picked up the sweet Angel of Death edition at best buy. They had one collectors edition in the entire district.....so no upgrade. :( I did sell the angel of death dlc on eBay for $25 already since it'll be available on xbl eventually.

Can't wait to play!! The destructiod and shipwrecks reviews have me hyped up![/QUOTE]

Now that I know that DLC code is worth money I'm going to go grab the game :lol:

Anybody pick up the season pass? Doesn't seem like there's much there for $20 and I'm not finding any info on future content...

Season Pass is just a set of armor and the 2nd and 3rd expansion packs after Argus Tomb. I believe they intend to sell them as separate installments at the $15 range, but I may be mistaken.

Btw did anyone pre-order the Darksiders: Abomination Vault before July 24, 2012, from either Amazon or Barnes & Noble? There was a code that came with it that gets you the Mortis shield. Didn't even have any idea till today. Otherwise I've collected every other piece of DLC. Stupid OCD giving me crap about a Lvl 5 shield is crazy but if anyone has key I would be interested in buying it.

I don't really care about the armor. I assume since it's level five I'll find better stuff fairly soon. The expansion packs guess I will wait and see if they're worth it then. If they are $15 they better be pretty substantial.

[quote name='whoknows']Now that I know that DLC code is worth money I'm going to go grab the game :lol:[/QUOTE]

I didn't choose the CAG life, the CAG life chose me. :twoguns:

I haven't played much(Sleeping Dogs is keeping me from this) but I can say the combat is already alot better then DS1. Quick complaint is the camera is awkward when fighting enemies. Im going to play a bit here and there but im really going to get into it this weekend.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I didn't choose the CAG life, the CAG life chose me. :twoguns:[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I was going to wait for a price drop, but this is just as good.

[quote name='whoknows']:lol:

I was going to wait for a price drop, but this is just as good.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I have four codes that I'm selling: The Angel of Death BB preorder stuff (but I'm keeping the avatar outfit), the Van der Schmash axe for linking your profile or from the iOS app, the Crow Hammer from the guide (only $10 when you get the game at BB), and the Rusanov axe for 'liking' their page on facebook. I expect to pull in at least around $40, but I've been surprised in the past. I've sold codes for >$100 for Halo Reach. I figure, the best weapons are NEVER the preorder, promo stuff. Plus, the dev's said this will all be available at one point or another, so I might as well offset the price of the game.

By the way, I finished the intro section and it's a lot of fun. It has an old school vibe, just like the first one or Castlevania Lords of Shadow and that is a very, very good thing. I've never been a "loot person" or whatever, but I'm really digging picking up gear and tinkering with the best loadout. Good stuff!

For those that got their Angel of Death DLC code from Best Buy, where and how did you get it? I picked my preorder up and I didn't get anything on the receipt and no card given to me.

Holy crap is this game fun. Great sense of exploration, much improved combat (though the camera seems way too close when fighting groups of enemies), amazing art style that isn't hampered by
forcing it to take place in ruined earth cities (yet)
, fun loot system, etc.

Much less "Zelda" in that, at least so far,
you don't get a new "item" in each dungeon, but with the loot system you are constantly getting new weapons, and there seems to be at least some item-like gear you get through other means
, but still tons of exploration/dungeons to explore/sense of discovery.

So pissed to be at work right now instead of playing DS2 :D

Note: I really don't consider those to really be spoilers, but figured better safe than sorry.

I really hate the loot system I'm not really a fan of RPG's and this whole you have to go out and dress your character to boost attack power and defense sucks but its still a better game than 1 so its a minor gripe.

does any of the preorder dlc have achievements? I'm going to pick this up tomorrow and just get through the game. Then sell/trade dlc and the game to cover purchase. With all the marketing, there should be a dlc version in the future anyway

[quote name='Gamer SDP']does any of the preorder dlc have achievements? I'm going to pick this up tomorrow and just get through the game. Then sell/trade dlc and the game to cover purchase. With all the marketing, there should be a dlc version in the future anyway[/QUOTE]

there are no preorder dlc achievements but there are achievements linked with the crucible (online pass).

Is anybody having freezing issues? Especially with cutscenes? this is were it wont stop freezing
The cutscene right before placing the final stone into the guardian
Edit: Installing it seemed to work. So if you are having freezing issues and do not have the game installed, installing it should work.

This pretty much sums it up:

i-k5WN7bb-X3.jpg

Does anyone know how/when you get access to your extra weapons? Like the ones you get for liking there Facebook page, and for having a DS1 save.

[quote name='garrett007']there are no preorder dlc achievements but there are achievements linked with the crucible (online pass).

[/QUOTE]

you mean season pass? I thought there was only a season pass if you bought it directly from thq.

This game is great. I beat the first main dungeon and then on my way back I did some exploring and found a side dungeon and got a sweet fire hammer. Only thing is my HD TV went out the other day...so im using my old crappy TV and the text is barely readable. Very annoying when trying to read the quests I have and when hints pop up on the screen.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']you mean season pass? I thought there was only a season pass if you bought it directly from thq.[/QUOTE]

No, there is a traditional season pass for $15/1600 points. It contains the 2nd and 3rd DLC's plus the Makers Armor. You got it for free if you ordered from THQ. Everyone else has to pay just like any other downloadable on xbox live. It's probably a good deal, when you consider each dlc will probably cost 560 to 800 points alone.....I just have heartburn paying 1600 points on xbox live for anything.

[quote name='shotgunshine']Does anyone know how/when you get access to your extra weapons? Like the ones you get for liking there Facebook page, and for having a DS1 save.[/QUOTE]

For the DS1 save you talk to the blind lady. Forget her name. The ChaosEater is a very good weapon.

Also, really enjoying this game. Loved the first one. Grabbing Darksiders 1 with Bayonetta on release day from TRU was one of my best gaming purchases.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']No, there is a traditional season pass for $15/1600 points. It contains the 2nd and 3rd DLC's plus the Makers Armor. You got it for free if you ordered from THQ. Everyone else has to pay just like any other downloadable on xbox live. It's probably a good deal, when you consider each dlc will probably cost 560 to 800 points alone.....I just have heartburn paying 1600 points on xbox live for anything.[/QUOTE]

1600 points is $20, not $15

I am loving this game as well. I have almost 6 hours in it, and it just keeps getting better.

Far as the Arguls Tomb, according to THQ, it will be released sometime in 2012.

I haven't made much progress (*shakes fist* "darn you real life!!"), but this game really is impressing me on all fronts. The only, and it's relatively minor, gripe I have is that I wish the camera were a little more dynamic. And thats only because I love looking at the scenery and things like that. I feel like a lot of really great art is missed because the camera gets locked on Death. I guess that's a pretty silly gripe, considering the camera should be fixed on the main character.

Anyway, what I like about the game is that it takes so many excellent aspects of my favorite games, jumbles them up and makes them work. It has the open world feel of a classic JRPG, the conversation system of Mass Effect, the wall climbing of Prince of Persia, the combat of something like Enslaved or God of War, and the exploration of Zelda. And it all works perfectly. Like, this is a game that tests all of your years of gaming with the different things it throws at you, best of all, it all comes naturally. Loving it so far.

I know some people are playing it because it's the summer and there aren't a lot of releases, but seriously, we gotta spread the word and get more people playing this one. This might be the game that gets forgotten about this year, but is a contender for top honors (behind Mass Effect 3, of course :) )

Man, this game is fantastic. Its so hard to quit playing once you get into it. I don't take reviews that serious but I do like to read them. I don't understand how IGN can give the first one a 7.8 but this one only a 7.5. The first game is good but this one improves upon the first one in just about every way. The only fault I have is the camera is zoomed in too much during combat.

I just unlocked The Crucible earlier. I went in and only had 2 health potions. Did the first five waves, declined the weapon..I had planned to quit and take the loot once I finished 10 but I died on 10:(

I am so impressed by this game it's not even funny.

Minor spoilers, but I don't think anything too bad: Early on you get a side quest to kill 4 optional "bosses". I've found 2, and at least so far, they've both been in unique dungeons, one of which was the size of most of the required dungeons!

That's just mind blowing to me that unlike in most other games like, say, Diablo where you would find an elite enemy on the field just like everything else, in this game you get a similar quest but have to go through an entire Zelda-style dungeon. A SIDE quest. Brilliant.

Started getting boring around the 4th or 5th dungeon. Seems like they can't resist repeating every little puzzle 3 or 4 times, and with the lack of story it really starts to drag. Some people will enjoy the larger world and increased game time, but I really wish they had edited it down. At 15-20 hours the game would be a lot more enjoyable.

Has anyone tried the crucible yet? If so, what level is your character currently at and how far did you get? I'm level 15 and I wanted to try to get to 25 but I had to stop at 20 since I was out of health and wrath potions. I took the prize and nothing was in the chest! I guess because previously I took the prize at level 5 and level 10...either that or the designers decided to be dicks by randomly not giving you anything.

bread's done
Back