Dateline decides to expose stereotype, by using a stereotype

RedvsBlue

CAGiversary!
Kudos, NASCAR Nation, for not taking NBC's bait

Basically what happened is that Dateline decided to use NASCAR fans (among other events) to see whether a Washington Post poll about increasing Anti-Muslim sentiment was true. Now what really makes this interesting is that none other than the Republican Party's mouth, Michelle Malkin was affiliated with this stunt.

I think its garbage, and like I said is basically just using one stereotype, that NASCAR fans are bigoted rednecks, in order to expose a potential stereotype that all muslims are terrorists.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Kudos, NASCAR Nation, for not taking NBC's bait

Basically what happened is that Dateline decided to use NASCAR fans (among other events) to see whether a Washington Post poll about increasing Anti-Muslim sentiment was true. Now what really makes this interesting is that none other than the Republican Party's mouth, Michelle Malkin was affiliated with this stunt.

I think its garbage, and like I said is basically just using one stereotype, that NASCAR fans are bigoted rednecks, in order to expose a potential stereotype that all muslims are terrorists.[/QUOTE]

It's especially garbage because they attempted to go out and make news. They should just be covering the news, not attempting to drum up a story with an ill-concieved attempt at stirring up trouble.

[quote name='elprincipe']It's especially garbage because they attempted to go out and make news. They should just be covering the news, not attempting to drum up a story with an ill-concieved attempt at stirring up trouble.[/QUOTE]

I think that "make news" hook is empty rhetoric. What do you think Dateline (or whatever show it is) does on a weekly basis? They don't do traffic or weather.

I don't always agree with their methods, but to criticize someone for "making" news is to suggest that they are making shit up. While this case (NASCAR) may be stereotypical, I wonder if the network wanted to put their research Muslims in as white a setting as they could, without offending the senses of those middle and upper class white folks who not only mistakenly believe themselves to not be racist, but regard NASCAR as a sport for and by plebians, and thus their racist attitudes are not applicable to them.

When I do my racist spiel on here, I often talk about "audit studies" (where whites and blacks are given equal characteristics - jobs, education, income, families, etc - and then sent out to look for housing, work, loans, or cars). As a researcher, I'd get my ass handed to me for secretly filming people, but NBC gets to. I respect that, and while I think that the news does get it wrong on occasion, I think it's misleading and incorrect to chide a new company for doing research.

They're idiots, of course, if they think they're going to identify overt examples of racism in this day and age. They didn't read Eduardo Bonilla-Silva's 2003 tome, did they?

One of my favorite political cartoons from last election was Kerry greeting some NASCAR fans by saying "Welcome, racecar enthusiasts"

But hey, someone needs to fight these crazy wars and I'll be damned if it's going to be my city slicker ass or that of my progeny. I'm starting to think keeping these morons ignorant and easily duped is a good idea - the trick is not to overdo it and get morons that will swing in with absolutely any cause.

I think that "make news" hook is empty rhetoric. What do you think Dateline (or whatever show it is) does on a weekly basis? They don't do traffic or weather.
But they don't have to stage an event that offends an entire group of people by reinforcing a stereotype just to "enlighten" viewers with the existence of another stereotype that's already common knowledge. There is difference between a dignified news story and trash 'reporting'.

[quote name='mykevermin']As a researcher, I'd get my ass handed to me for secretly filming people, but NBC gets to. I respect that, and while I think that the news does get it wrong on occasion, I think it's misleading and incorrect to chide a new company for doing research.[/quote]

So we shouldn't chide NBC for their racist attitudes agaist white Nascar fans becuase their intentions are in the right place? What if they put a group of Muslims with bulging backpacks and cellphones in the middle of a mostly black populated urban crime area and see if the homies have the same attitudes against muslims as those redneck crackers ? I'd respect THAT !

They're idiots, of course, if they think they're going to identify overt examples of racism in this day and age. They didn't read Eduardo Bonilla-Silva's 2003 tome, did they?

Yes it's that underlying racist in all white people that's the real rub.

[quote name='bmulligan']
So we shouldn't chide NBC for their racist attitudes agaist white Nascar fans becuase their intentions are in the right place? [/QUOTE]

i dont believe white nascar fans were their own race. Prejudice against a specific group is totally different than being a racist.

[quote name='bmulligan']But they don't have to stage an event that offends an entire group of people by reinforcing a stereotype just to "enlighten" viewers with the existence of another stereotype that's already common knowledge. There is difference between a dignified news story and trash 'reporting'.[/quote]

"staging an event" involves both sides. One stages a play, but does not do so by only informing or preparing half the cast.

So we shouldn't chide NBC for their racist attitudes agaist white Nascar fans becuase their intentions are in the right place? What if they put a group of Muslims with bulging backpacks and cellphones in the middle of a mostly black populated urban crime area and see if the homies have the same attitudes against muslims as those redneck crackers ? I'd respect THAT !

'slong as we don't question your inherently goodness and non-racist whiteness, correct? I'd chide NBC for being classist, as I imagine that you'd get the same vibe putting the Muslims in a "Panera Bread," or "Banana Republic" stores. But, if you read what I posted about the classism implicit in NASCAR, you'd understand that.

Also, putting Muslims in a black area? Feh; you seem to want to willfully ignore (1) The Nation of Islam's predominance in poor urban black areas and (2) the number of black muslims who converted while in prison (which is a substantial portion of any urban underclass). You wouldn't get much of a reaction (as you would with, say, Koreans in the southwestern underclass areas).

Now, if you want to chide the media for ignoring a great bigotry of African-Americans, I'll join arms in solidarity in their complete silence in regards to issues of homosexual bigotry. They are notably more conservative than whites in their disdain for homosexuals, but that's not something the media seems to report. I suppose that's neither here nor there, however.

Yes it's that underlying racist in all white people that's the real rub.

Aww, is bebe scared to read the big bad book?

[quote name='bmulligan']
So we shouldn't chide NBC for their racist attitudes agaist white Nascar fans becuase their intentions are in the right place? [/quote]

So nascar fans are a race now? Maybe we need to have another debate on the definition of racism....

I'll join arms in solidarity in their complete silence in regards to issues of homosexual bigotry.

They had a great special on tv once about black homosexual rappers. It was an a gay and lesbian channel though, so it's not something most would see. It was interesting listening to how people treat them. They didn't act stereotypically gay, and they were pretty good.

Wow, my little town must be really special for Dateline to come here. :roll: (Collinsville is basically a part of Martinsville as it all runs together).

NBC is in their final year of broadcasting NASCAR and they decide to pull a stunt like this? I'm getting to the point where I can't stand to watch news from ANY network.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Wow, my little town must be really special for Dateline to come here. :roll: (Collinsville is basically a part of Martinsville as it all runs together).

NBC is in their final year of broadcasting NASCAR and they decide to pull a stunt like this? I'm getting to the point where I can't stand to watch news from ANY network.[/QUOTE]

I think that's why they thought they could get away with it. They figured that even if NASCAR's governing body themselves got pissed that there would be little backlash because they're done broadcasting at the end of this year anyway.

So the problem is that they sent them to a NASCAR event and people generally think they're racist lower-class rednecks?

I see that NBC probably was being classist and thought they'd get the best reaction from a NASCAR race for TV, but it seems like in and of itself it's a good thing to research and hidden mics and cameras sound like a good way to do it.

They should of course go to multiple places to test reactions based on race, class, gender, etc. and also test with the muslim people being men, women, and children in varying dress to see the difference in reaction based on those factors as well. It would be better done by real researchers, but if NBC was willing to actually do something that extensive then they should go for it. If they actually planned on doing the same thing at different events and simply started at a NASCAR race, I don't see the problem.

Stereotypes are created, because they're based off of real problems with certain cultures, races and wealth. There wouldn't be such an issue with Stereotyping if it wasnt true, because people would just dismiss it.

Get over it. And stop being the whiney forum person stereotype.

[quote name='from the article']The inference is that NASCAR fans are bigots, and NBC News was hoping to bait fans into making insensitive remarks to the Muslim / Arab people it had planted at the track.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the intent of NBC. Let's see if we can capture a racist incident, broadcast it, and "report" it as an example of rampant racism in white americas most popular spectator sports fan base of NASCAR. After all, NASCAR exemplifies the core of white-american-god-fearing-lower-middle-class-redneck-racist culture they can't stand. It's no wonder the Muslims hate us because of what we really think about them. It's all our fault, after all, that terrorism exists becuase it's payback for our assault on the muslim culture.

Just like Myke's philospohy of rampant, white, institutionalized racism, Myke can prove that white culture is conspiring to keep the darkies in their place when any one black person is affected by any one prejudicial incident and can produce the stylized anecdote upon demand. A greater incidence is, of course, proof that all whites, in general, (or aggregate, if you prefer) are inherently racist and share at least some of the blame for any of it's existence.

[quote name='bmulligan']This is exactly the intent of NBC. Let's see if we can capture a racist incident, broadcast it, and "report" it as an example of rampant racism in white americas most popular spectator sports fan base of NASCAR. After all, NASCAR exemplifies the core of white-american-god-fearing-lower-middle-class-redneck-racist culture they can't stand. It's no wonder the Muslims hate us because of what we really think about them. It's all our fault, after all, that terrorism exists becuase it's payback for our assault on the muslim culture.[/quote]

And the article is from NASCAR.fuckING.COM. You think they are going to write a balanced piece when they were the "target" of the Dateline posse? More to the point, what you've quoted is nothing but the inference of those employed by NASCAR serving to defend themselves and their employers.

Just like Myke's philospohy of rampant, white, institutionalized racism, Myke can prove that white culture is conspiring to keep the darkies in their place when any one black person is affected by any one prejudicial incident and can produce the stylized anecdote upon demand. A greater incidence is, of course, proof that all whites, in general, (or aggregate, if you prefer) are inherently racist and share at least some of the blame for any of it's existence.

If you think I deal in "anecdotes," you lie to yourself every morning you wake up. I deal in aggregates, and though they're aggregates that present a reality that you want to deny, they reflect reality. You want to live in a world where minority unemployment rates reflect those of whites, and I do too. I just happen to know what reality is, and not bullshit myself every day.

Your perpetual misstatements, such as these, as well as the consistently bland accusations of "self-loathing," both of myself in particular, and the left as a whole, lead me to wonder if you don't truly have some leftover psychological issues related to your formative years. It certainly takes someone who's spent many nights in their lives considering how lonely, unhappy, and depressed they are to try to make those accusations of others. Did you fail to kill yourself as a teenager? (Well, that you live and type is evidence that you failed to do so; what I'm asking is: did you want to, or try, and not accomplish your goals?)

All I'll say is that I live in the area this story was being done in.

NBC should have simply gone out and interviewed people about how they felt. Of course, that wouldn't have been as sexy a story as a bunch of NASCAR fans giving "different" people a hard time. The best thing is that in the end they had no story other than their own. Anyone who knows this area knows that Jeff Gordon will get more hate than anyone at a NASCAR race in Martinsville.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Anyone who knows this area knows that Jeff Gordon will get more hate than anyone at a NASCAR race in Martinsville.[/QUOTE]

I don't watch NASCAR, but the tvs at the gym are on to ESPN, A Current Affair (or whatever bullshit news/what celebrity's taking a dump somewhere show's called now), and the soaps. I happened to notice Jeff Gordon shoving someone/being shoved. What in the world is going on there? Are they trying to make it the WWE and make for some hardcore rivalries? Or is Jeff Gordon a "natural heel," to use the rasslin' parlance? If you have any idea, why is Gordon so hated?

[quote name='mykevermin']If you have any idea, why is Gordon so hated?[/quote]

I don't watch NASCAR, but jeff foxworthy said it was because he enunciates :p.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't watch NASCAR, but the tvs at the gym are on to ESPN, A Current Affair (or whatever bullshit news/what celebrity's taking a dump somewhere show's called now), and the soaps. I happened to notice Jeff Gordon shoving someone/being shoved. What in the world is going on there? Are they trying to make it the WWE and make for some hardcore rivalries? Or is Jeff Gordon a "natural heel," to use the rasslin' parlance? If you have any idea, why is Gordon so hated?[/quote]

A current affair - I used to watch that in HS - I remember they did one story about chicks in bikinis selling hotdogs - wtf that is news - there is also a hilarious montage somewhere of all the o'reilly factor bits on inane sex scandals, like a college girl who runs a phone sex line or webcam biz on the side.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't watch NASCAR, but the tvs at the gym are on to ESPN, A Current Affair (or whatever bullshit news/what celebrity's taking a dump somewhere show's called now), and the soaps. I happened to notice Jeff Gordon shoving someone/being shoved. What in the world is going on there? Are they trying to make it the WWE and make for some hardcore rivalries? Or is Jeff Gordon a "natural heel," to use the rasslin' parlance? If you have any idea, why is Gordon so hated?[/QUOTE]

I don't watch NASCAR (but I do have to soundboard NASCAR races at work...), but I always hear people trash-talking Gordon 'cos he ain't a good ol' Southern boy (he's a "Yankee").

When I do accidentally hear chucks of the radio broadcasts, there are some serious undertones, of what I've just mentioned, coming from the announcers. It's pretty pathetic...

I soundboarded that race, where he shoved that guy -- he did it because the guy he shoved shoved Gordon off of the track by ramming him. I guess that guy is notorious for doing that kind of shit... but the announcers were acting like the guy was right for doing it. I think Gordon was in 9th - 10th place through the entire race; that crash caused him to finish in 21st, or something.

[quote name='mykevermin']And the article is from NASCAR.fuckING.COM. You think they are going to write a balanced piece when they were the "target" of the Dateline posse? More to the point, what you've quoted is nothing but the inference of those employed by NASCAR serving to defend themselves and their employers. [/quote]

Yeah, so, what's your point? I was agreeing with the article, or did you miss that?

I deal in aggregates, and though they're aggregates that present a reality that you want to deny, they reflect reality. You want to live in a world where minority unemployment rates reflect those of whites, and I do too. I just happen to know what reality is, and not bullshit myself every day.

Exactly. You deal in reflections of reality, not reality itself. Your slivered visages of realism fit nicely onto paper and blind you from differentiating situation from conglomeration.

Your perpetual misstatements, such as these, as well as the consistently bland accusations of "self-loathing," both of myself in particular, and the left as a whole, lead me to wonder if you don't truly have some leftover psychological issues related to your formative years. It certainly takes someone who's spent many nights in their lives considering how lonely, unhappy, and depressed they are to try to make those accusations of others. Did you fail to kill yourself as a teenager? (Well, that you live and type is evidence that you failed to do so; what I'm asking is: did you want to, or try, and not accomplish your goals?)

Lash away. Your philosophy demands it. An inherently selfish beast of a man commanded to sacrifice himself to all claimants can be expected to do no less. Yes, I failed to end my existence and it's killing you. What twists you even more is that I consider my life to have value, even more value than those surrounding me, when no one should have the audacity to make that claim at all.

[quote name='bmulligan']
Lash away. Your philosophy demands it. An inherently selfish beast of a man commanded to sacrifice himself to all claimants can be expected to do no less. Yes, I failed to end my existence and it's killing you. What twists you even more is that I consider my life to have value, even more value than those surrounding me, when no one should have the audacity to make that claim at all.[/quote]

You're an idiot who thrives on garnering attention to yourself, you're really trying to assert that about someone you don't even know?

[quote name='Metal Boss']You're an idiot who thrives on garnering attention to yourself, you're really trying to assert that about someone you don't even know?[/QUOTE]

Right, I'M the one who craves attention.....

from people like.....................you ?

:rofl:

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Well, you do appear to be trying to replace PAD as the conservative troll around here. Not much point in doing that other than attention.[/QUOTE]

You do it, you just did it, and every one of your brethren who can't articulate a coherent thought does it constantly - usickenme, mslut, camoor, and the big bossman. My apologies to any other gutter trash I forgot to give some attention to in said list, you know who you are.

Why is it that you lefties pull out the troll card about as much as you pull out the race card? It's becuase you can't come up with a witty retort as fast as we conservatives? Apparently so.

You liberal elitists should welcome an opposite viewpoint since you're so concerned about being truly "fair and balanced" and "tolerant". It's not really trolling you hate, it's the fact that someone would dare to contradict your opinions and thoughts and you feel the need to corral contrarians into a neat little catagory of subterranean bridge dwellers. You circlejerk liberals need to know that the world exists outside of your conjured academian shelter

You probably could count the amount of times I pulled out the troll card on one finger. Lately you've been starting off with attacks, instead of getting worked up first.

Though you make it sound like I did something that proves some point you were making.

Yes, I wonder what delightful and poignient insight Mslut has bestowed upon us. Obvoiusly he is not trolling since he is with the majority.

I would have no idea what he's just typed, but I'll venture a guess that it is less that three sentences, devoid of correct punctuation, and fluffed with at least one derrogatory description of myself or some sort of bodily function.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']You probably could count the amount of times I pulled out the troll card on one finger. Lately you've been starting off with attacks, instead of getting worked up first.

Though you make it sound like I did something that proves some point you were making.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you labled me a troll while trolling. Did you check your brain at the door when you got home or something ? I'd expect it from various others, but not from you.

The only problem I see is that everyone seems to forget the topic and focus on the the person rather than the ideas.

Also, this is just a little constructive criticism and I don't mean to offend, but could everyone be a little less verbose in your posts and retorts? I'm a college graduate, but sometimes I think I am trying to decipher the Klingon language in here. :lol:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Also, this is just a little constructive criticism and I don't mean to offend, but could everyone be a little less verbose in your posts and retorts? I'm a college graduate, but sometimes I think I am trying to decipher the Klingon language in here. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You need to drink more.

[quote name='Msut77']Guile, I think it is the mental health and not the vocabulary.

BTW nice sig.[/quote]

Thanks. :)

[quote name='mykevermin']You need to drink more.[/quote]

Nah, I don't want to dull the senses. Where there is pain there is life. :lol:

You liberal elitists should welcome an opposite viewpoint since you're so concerned about being truly "fair and balanced" and "tolerant". It's not really trolling you hate, it's the fact that someone would dare to contradict your opinions and thoughts and you feel the need to corral contrarians into a neat little catagory of subterranean bridge dwellers. You circlejerk liberals need to know that the world exists outside of your conjured academian shelter

I've said more than once we need more conservatives, and I've said that the few here are important, even if they often weren't seriously debating.

[quote name='bmulligan']Yeah, you labled me a troll while trolling. Did you check your brain at the door when you got home or something ? I'd expect it from various others, but not from you.[/quote]

No, I was stating what I felt. I wasn't looking for a reaction.

Besides, of all the insults that get lobbed at me I don't think it matters if I use an insult once in a while.

[quote name='bmulligan']Yeah, so, what's your point? I was agreeing with the article, or did you miss that?[/quote]

Do you believe everything Scott McClellan says and does? Do you rely on corporate press releases, and regard them as fact? My point was that the article was by Nascar and about Nascar, in regards to protecting their image. The only reason you believe it is because the language in the article suggests that this was a "liberal media setup," or something akin to that, which post hoc validates opinions you have which you refuse to challenge, only verify after the fact.

If you like, I can go find thousands of documents from "Altria" (or whatever neutral corporate name they have now) about the effects of smoking on health. You gonna believe those too?

Exactly. You deal in reflections of reality, not reality itself. Your slivered visages of realism fit nicely onto paper and blind you from differentiating situation from conglomeration.

Lash away. Your philosophy demands it. An inherently selfish beast of a man commanded to sacrifice himself to all claimants can be expected to do no less. Yes, I failed to end my existence and it's killing you. What twists you even more is that I consider my life to have value, even more value than those surrounding me, when no one should have the audacity to make that claim at all.

And you prove again to be Msut, but marginally more articulate. I don't know if you truly loathe the scientific method, or if you just like to take the piss of anything and everything. At any rate, your incoherence (and your false suggestion that I am not a narcissist!) belies you. Try again, kid.

[quote name='munch']I kind of like Nascar. Does that make me an inbred redneck?[/QUOTE]

I fucking adore professional wrestling; you know that saying about people in glass houses, right?

I think there are undoubtedly class elements to sports watching (which also has its education implications as well). There are anomalies, but that we notice such breaches of social norms reminds us just how unlikely it is. That's why Happy Gilmore was a funny movie.

I think the location of NASCAR's origins (in the south), as well as its tendency to develop in "rural" areas, for the most part, certainly help in giving it that "hillbilly sport" vibe.

The past 5-10 years have shown, however, that NASCAR is mad fuckin' popular anywhere you go. It is beginning to transcend class boundaries that helped stereotype it years before, but that's a process that hasn't been completed yet.

Truth be told, the "class" of a sport can be determined, IMO, by the caliber of advertisers both sponsoring events as well as those buying ad time on tv and radio. When I watch pro wrestling, I see commercials for Aqua Velva, video games, motor oil, pay per view fights, and "Larry the Cable Guy" caliber movies. OTOH, if you watch tennis or golf, you'll see commercials for Movado "timepieces" (since "watch" is a word for the plebes), crystal collections, other sporting events like figure skating, and very exquisite automobiles. The clearest evidence of that that I've seen was on tv bowling, where dudes were sponsored by fucking "Denny's" diners. That's proletarianism for ya! Imagine John Daly with a big embroidered "Golden Arches" on his back. It would be appropriate, of course, but absurd to consider. Again, Happy Gilmore.

[quote name='mykevermin']And you prove again to be Msut, but marginally more articulate. I don't know if you truly loathe the scientific method, or if you just like to take the piss of anything and everything. At any rate, your incoherence (and your false suggestion that I am not a narcissist!) belies you. Try again, kid.[/QUOTE]

Claiming sociological research to be on the same tier as, say, cancer research because it uses the scientific method is more than laughable and MORE than marginally narcissistic.

And if you think that my marginal coherence is an affront to superior thinking people like yourself, I can only say that the medical profession, any other scientific one, and the rest of the human race are much better off having you in the field of sociology.

[quote name='bmulligan']This is exactly the intent of NBC. Let's see if we can capture a racist incident, broadcast it, and "report" it as an example of rampant racism in white americas most popular spectator sports fan base of NASCAR. After all, NASCAR exemplifies the core of white-american-god-fearing-lower-middle-class-redneck-racist culture they can't stand. It's no wonder the Muslims hate us because of what we really think about them. It's all our fault, after all, that terrorism exists becuase it's payback for our assault on the muslim culture.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a succinct description of the whole sordid affair. Mulligan is much more literate in presenting it than I.

This is also the same Dateline that, in order to prove that a GM vehicle was "dangerous" to the public because it would explode in an accident due to poor engineering, rigged said GM vehicle with an explosive device because said vehicle didn't actually blow up when in an accident. I mean, why let the actual facts get in the way of the story? Especially when your goal is to hurt "big business".

This fiasco with NBC "making up" their own news instead of sticking to reporting news is nothing new. Unfortunately, it's just more of the same when it comes to the big media. Trying to create results and news that will back up their personal opinions and then reporting it as facts. They got away with it for decades. They just can't get away with it any more thanks to the likes of Rush Limbaugh, the tidal wave of conservative talk radio, and the internet today.

I would also like to say it makes me chuckle that the NASCAR fans weren't near the incendiary racists that NBC thought they were considering their (NBC) little ploy didn't work out as they desired.

I understand the stereotype angle, but what's this thing about "making news"? The point was to expose racism that was already there. It didn't work. Making news would imply the situation wouldn't occur without the broadcaster there. Instead, they were showing what would happen if a muslim looking man went to one of these events. They weren't adding anything abnormal, they were just recording it.

If a muslim man is the target of racism in a normal american environment, how it strapping a camera to him "making" news?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I understand the stereotype angle, but what's this thing about "making news"? The point was to expose racism that was already there. It didn't work. Making news would imply the situation wouldn't occur without the broadcaster there. Instead, they were showing what would happen if a muslim looking man went to one of these events. They weren't adding anything abnormal, they were just recording it.

If a muslim man is the target of racism in a normal american environment, how it strapping a camera to him "making" news?[/quote]
That was exactly what I was thinking, but I'm not sure if there was some proof that they were trying to incite people to doing something as NASCAR wants to make it out.

Does somebody here know that there's more to it than that? It seems like it was done well to me: just stick a guy in there and see what happens.

The point is that Dateline represents itself as a serious news show.

jour·nal·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jûrn-lzm)
n.

1. The collecting, writing, editing, and presenting of news or news articles in newspapers and magazines and in radio and television broadcasts.
2. Material written for publication in a newspaper or magazine or for broadcast.
3. The style of writing characteristic of material in newspapers and magazines, consisting of direct presentation of facts or occurrences with little attempt at analysis or interpretation.

Number 3.

Again, Dateline represents itself as a serious news show. This kind of antic is anything but.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Making news would imply the situation wouldn't occur without the broadcaster there. [/QUOTE]

Dateline PLANTED the muslims there. If it weren't for Dateline, there would be no muslims (at least these particular plants) at this particular NASCAR event. Therefore, the situation wouldn't have been occurring for Dateline to "report" about. And Dateline certainly wouldn't have been hanging around NASCAR events waiting to see some random joe muslim that decided to spend his afternoon enjoying the races.

That is what is meant by "making" news.

It's also reflective of Dateline's opinions about NASCAR fans. Namely that they are racists and would react offensively to muslims. That's not "journalistic" reporting of facts and occurrances. It's op-ed stuff. They mislead people intentionally because this isn't the first time they've engaged in such chicanery.

[quote name='penmyst']The point is that Dateline represents itself as a serious news show.

jour·nal·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jûrn-lzm)
n.

1. The collecting, writing, editing, and presenting of news or news articles in newspapers and magazines and in radio and television broadcasts.
2. Material written for publication in a newspaper or magazine or for broadcast.
3. The style of writing characteristic of material in newspapers and magazines, consisting of direct presentation of facts or occurrences with little attempt at analysis or interpretation.

Number 3.

Again, Dateline represents itself as a serious news show. This kind of antic is anything but.

Dateline PLANTED the muslims there. If it weren't for Dateline, there would be no muslims (at least these particular plants) at this particular NASCAR event. Therefore, the situation wouldn't have been occurring for Dateline to "report" about. And Dateline certainly wouldn't have been hanging around NASCAR events waiting to see some random joe muslim that decided to spend his afternoon enjoying the races.

That is what is meant by "making" news.

It's also reflective of Dateline's opinions about NASCAR fans. Namely that they are racists and would react offensively to muslims. That's not "journalistic" reporting of facts and occurrances. It's op-ed stuff. They mislead people intentionally because this isn't the first time they've engaged in such chicanery.[/QUOTE]

I think that last part is the biggest part. NBC/Dateline made fools out of themselves not only for the fact that they tipped their hand of believing NASCAR fans to be bigotted but also the fact that they got it wrong and nothing happened.

Earlier I mentioned Michelle Malkin, a somewhat popular republican pundit and her involvement. I think this is also interesting in that one of the buzz words we heard around the '04 elections was the term "NASCAR dads" and how the republicans thought it would be important to gain their support. Hell, Bush himself even showed up at a NASCAR race (didn't stay long though). Its interesting to see that certain people (Malkin) really are concerned with the constituents of their chosen party and in all actuality think they are just bigots and are willing to help so that.

And if racism does occur, it will occur whether a guy has a hidden camera or not. If a muslim were to walk in and be the target of racism it wouldn't make it any more of less of a news story than if another muslim walked in with a camera. Just one of the events no one would know about. The same thing is going to happen, it just gets caught this way.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']And if racism does occur, it will occur whether a guy has a hidden camera or not. If a muslim were to walk in and be the target of racism it wouldn't make it any more of less of a news story than if another muslim walked in with a camera. Just one of the events no one would know about. The same thing is going to happen, it just gets caught this way.[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously think this way? "Well, somebody could have killed Senator Joe Blow as he walked out to his car, but this way we set it up and then caught it on tape!"

[quote name='elprincipe']Do you seriously think this way? "Well, somebody could have killed Senator Joe Blow as he walked out to his car, but this way we set it up and then caught it on tape!"[/quote]

To investiage overt prejudice against a certain population, how would you do that? The best way is to send a member of that population into a group and record how others interact with them.

bread's done
Back