Dateline decides to expose stereotype, by using a stereotype

[quote name='mykevermin']You're comparing murder to muslims appearing in public places!?!?![/QUOTE]

No, just making a point that attempting to engineer news is stupid and wrong.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']To investiage overt prejudice against a certain population, how would you do that? The best way is to send a member of that population into a group and record how others interact with them.[/QUOTE]

You think if this just happened under normal circumstances and the people who had the prejudice directed towards them went to the media it wouldn't be reported? Of course it would. News should be what happens, not what you create. Why not put a Hamas militant in the same room as a Zionist settler and see who hits who first, then report it?

[quote name='elprincipe']
You think if this just happened under normal circumstances and the people who had the prejudice directed towards them went to the media it wouldn't be reported? Of course it would. News should be what happens, not what you create. Why not put a Hamas militant in the same room as a Zionist settler and see who hits who first, then report it?[/quote]

So you're comparing normal muslims and nascar fans to a hamas members and a zionist settler?

Besides, racism happens all the time. I don't remember ever opening the paper and seeing the headline "black man is called niger". If they reported on all the incidents then they'd need to create a separate paper. I have a friend who's hindu who often is the target of anti-muslim comments and terrorist jokes like "Oh back away, he's got a bomb". One of his coworkers got fired over it since he was particularly overt about it.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']So you're comparing normal muslims and nascar fans to a hamas members and a zionist settler?[/quote]

Of course not, and you know I'm not. I'm just drawing out of thin air an obvious example of "creating news" instead of just reporting it.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Besides, racism happens all the time. I don't remember ever opening the paper and seeing the headline "black man is called niger". If they reported on all the incidents then they'd need to create a separate paper. I have a friend who's hindu who often is the target of anti-muslim comments and terrorist jokes like "Oh back away, he's got a bomb". One of his coworkers got fired over it since he was particularly overt about it.[/QUOTE]

Sure it happens, there are plenty of ignorant racist motherfuckers out there. We have 300 million people in this country, some are going to be on the short end of the brain distribution. But remember that incidents have been reported that are similar and not planted, for example a group of Muslim men praying at a New York Jets or something football game.

[quote name='elprincipe']Of course not, and you know I'm not. I'm just drawing out of thin air an obvious example of "creating news" instead of just reporting it.

Sure it happens, there are plenty of ignorant racist motherfuckers out there. We have 300 million people in this country, some are going to be on the short end of the brain distribution. But remember that incidents have been reported that are similar and not planted, for example a group of Muslim men praying at a New York Jets or something football game.[/quote]

But only the person is planted, the incident cannot arise without people willfully expressing racist views toward that person. Other muslims would eventually be in that same situation. All this attempts to do is make people aware of the racism that exists. Just, in this case, the incident would have been caught and made an example of, unlike the vast majority of times.

[quote name='elprincipe']Sure it happens, there are plenty of ignorant racist motherfuckers out there. We have 300 million people in this country, some are going to be on the short end of the brain distribution. But remember that incidents have been reported that are similar and not planted, for example a group of Muslim men praying at a New York Jets or something football game.[/QUOTE]

This is where you get the Bourdieu-style argument about news as a business (that its goal is not the transmission of information, but profit-seeking like any other institution in capitalism). You have no real "hook" for a story if people get tossed out of a football game for praying. If you have *video* of it, however, that puts you a leg ahead of the competiton, doesn't it?

I still think it's misleading to call it "creating news." They placed muslims in a NASCAR event, but their goal wasn't to create a situation that was unreasonable or unthinkable, but, rather, to create a probable scenario in the vicinity of their television cameras. There is no sinister liberal goal here; merely the desire to have documented something drastic in order to gain enough viewership to generate that precious filthy lucre of television, ad revenue.

[quote name='mykevermin']This is where you get the Bourdieu-style argument about news as a business (that its goal is not the transmission of information, but profit-seeking like any other institution in capitalism). You have no real "hook" for a story if people get tossed out of a football game for praying. If you have *video* of it, however, that puts you a leg ahead of the competiton, doesn't it?

I still think it's misleading to call it "creating news." They placed muslims in a NASCAR event, but their goal wasn't to create a situation that was unreasonable or unthinkable, but, rather, to create a probable scenario in the vicinity of their television cameras. There is no sinister liberal goal here; merely the desire to have documented something drastic in order to gain enough viewership to generate that precious filthy lucre of television, ad revenue.[/QUOTE]

I would never argue it was anything more sinister than looking for a story in an attempt to improve ratings, and I doubt political persuasion had really anything to do with it. They just wanted to create a situation where they would benefit, as you say, from having a video of an incident. I think it's wrong to try and create incidents for the sake of making money on reporting them. Wasn't there a Bond movie about this? :)

[quote name='elprincipe']Wasn't there a Bond movie about this? :)[/QUOTE]

If there was, I ought to know. A View to a Kill, perhaps? (The one with Christopher Walken and Grace Jones; Roger Moore's last Bond appearance).

[quote name='mykevermin']I still think it's misleading to call it "creating news." They placed muslims in a NASCAR event, but their goal wasn't to create a situation that was unreasonable or unthinkable, but, rather, to create a probable scenario in the vicinity of their television cameras.[/quote]

No, it's outright denial to refuse it as being "created news". Why you have so much faith in news reporting as being objectivce is beyond me.

There is a certain context to any situation and seeing muslims at a Nascar race is not something ordinary. They are artificially enacting a purposefully extraordinary scenario to create controversy. Another good news story would be to drop your lilly whitness on Grand River and Fenkel in Detroit with an Abercrombie pullover and your best K-swiss and see what kind of shit happens to you there. You might as well drop a space alien into a shopping mall and declare that the human race is racist against the Tralfamidorians and call it news.

There is no sinister liberal goal here; merely the desire to have documented something drastic in order to gain enough viewership to generate that precious filthy lucre of television, ad revenue.
Since the goal is profit, I'd would have guessed you would have considered it sinister, becuase it is exploiting minorities for the express purpose of creating revenue. Two things to which you are morally opposed.

You're honestly suggesting that something as big as nascar never has muslims (or the groups often mistaken for them, like hindu's, sikhs, and anyone else from those areas) attend races?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']You're honestly suggesting that something as big as nascar never has muslims (or the groups often mistaken for them, like hindu's, sikhs, and anyone else from those areas) attend races?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, he is making that assertion. I suppose he would agree and approve of those men who were taken into custody by security at the football game for being muslim (were they praying at the time?).

Muslims are a small portion of our population, but evidently considers racist activity (that, from his dreadful analogies, he appears to think is an inevitability - perhaps you could get a job planning segments for Dateline?) perfectly understandable. Never mind that muslims (hypothetically) can't seem to enjoy the leisure activities of a NASCAR event because of a bunch of racists (and it didn't even happen, but don't let that stop bmugs from assuming that it would happen under normal circumstances) hassle them. It isn't the fault of racist actions, after all. You've certainly shown, yet fucking *AGAIN*, your fantastic paradox in regards to your inability to reconcile your desire for minimal intrusions on people's freedoms, and your (claimed, yet feigned, IMO) desire to eliminate racism, or punish racist actions. It's an adorable paradox, that's for sure.

I suppose I will ask you this question: where is your data that tells you how many muslims attended NASCAR races? Would you be willing to make other racial assertions of sporting events? Blacks don't attend hockey, or tennis, or golf games. Would you want to say any other blanket generalizations, while you're at it?

Maybe Muslims go to NASCAR races. Maybe they don't. It's beside the point.

Dateline planted one at this race intentionally hoping to kick something off.

Since there is intention there; that equals "creating" a news story.

I personally don't care why they did it. Money, ratings, to reinforce their personal liberal prejudices that NASCAR fans are racist rednecks, to try and hurt the Bush administration in the war on terror, or all of the above.

My problem is with the fact that they consider this type of junk to be acceptable as a respectable news company.

This type of non-journalism has become endemic to the current media.

[quote name='mykevermin']If there was, I ought to know. A View to a Kill, perhaps? (The one with Christopher Walken and Grace Jones; Roger Moore's last Bond appearance).[/QUOTE]

I've got it, one of the newer ones with Brosnan where some media baron tries to start a war between Britain and China to boost ratings and readership. The one with the stealth boat.

bread's done
Back