[Dead] Amazon Lightning Deal: 1 yr. subscription (w/ CD) to PC Gamer $12.95

Any idea if this can be added to an existing subscription, or would I just end up getting two copies? :lol: Good magazine if you don't get it.

Is there even enough going on in PC gaming to justify a montly magazine? I bet that thing is getting thinner by the issue.

It's thinner than it was 10 years ago with the crazy 300 page issues or whatever, but that's just the magazine business.

There's as much going on in PC gaming as there is on the 360 or PS3 or any other platform. Main problem with PC Gaming is the crappy "activation" DRM.

I get too many industry rags as it is, but I don't have a PC-specific one coming in anymore (RIP GFW)...I'll have to see how big of a discount it is.

[quote name='Ender']Is there even enough going on in PC gaming to justify a montly magazine? I bet that thing is getting thinner by the issue.[/QUOTE]

It seems to me there's more going on in PC gaming at the moment than there has been in the last couple years.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Any idea if this can be added to an existing subscription, or would I just end up getting two copies? :lol: Good magazine if you don't get it.[/quote]
Same question. I'm a subscriber and I wanna know if it can just continue from the end of my current subscription.
Also whats the price gonna be? Anybody know?

You've got to be kidding me. PCs are the only place you'll find decent MMOs. FPS controls are infinitly better on the PC than they are on the console. Graphics cards are dirt cheap for the amount of bang you get. RAM is dirt cheap. PC FPS tend to have a more hardcore and indepth audience than their console counterparts. RTS games are still PC-only territory. Games live Civ are still best placed on the PC. ( Although I can see an argument for that on the Wii. ) My PC is properly cooled, so it won't RROD and explode on me for no good reason. Btw, we're really close to the 3-year warranty deadline. Be prepared to start buying new 360s if you red ring.

The Steam service has really matured, and they have weekend deals every weekend. Honestly, if PC game ever did go the way of the dodo, I'd most likely stop being a gamer altogether. I'm just plain not interested in console gaming until they get some decent controls. Plus, I want games that push current hardware, not games that are written for hardware that's 3-4 years old. I like my 1920x1200 resolutions, thank you. MS will eventually have to do something about PC gaming, because if they don't, Steam will just do everything themselves and take their market. ( and they're well on the way to doing just that. ) MS wanted to be able to setup an Xbox 360 price structure on the PC, and they were harshly denied. They're late to the party because they purposely stunted the growth of PC gaming to further the 360.

I just don't see it. PCs are getting cheaper and cheaper, and consoles are going in the opposite direction, purely because they're becoming more and more like PCs. One offers me freedom, the other offers me a confined space and triple the fees. You're already paying $400 + extras + more money for games. The argument that consoles are cheaper than PCs is pretty much null and void at this point. You can get a $500 PC that'll play most of todays games.

^ agrees. Good things going for PCs/LAPTOPs:
- MMORPGS
- FPS (left 4 dead looks like the ultimate fun with your friends multiplayer)
- Blizzard (Starcraft/Diablo 3)
- Steam is owning it
- Best voice chat: In game voice chat, ventrilo, etc
- Good gaming rig at only ~$600 (no joke either)
- Good gaming laptop at only ~$800-900 (www.notebookreview.com for details)

I'm okay with how first/third person shooter type stuff controls on consoles. It's not as good, but it's not obnoxiously bad anymore either... (though if you care about it being skill based it's an issue, since you HAVE to have some kind of auto-aim, and it's harder to play/game needs to be at least a bit easier to...uh...be equally easy).

but I don't think they'll EVER get a traditional RTS that works right.

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's thinner than it was 10 years ago with the crazy 300 page issues or whatever, but that's just the magazine business.

There's as much going on in PC gaming as there is on the 360 or PS3 or any other platform. Main problem with PC Gaming is the crappy "activation" DRM.[/QUOTE]

And it's hysterical how all the PC devs are crying that piracy is killing their sales.

So they put more draconian copy protection is that messes up PCs, and/or doesn't even allow the game to work.

and sales go down more...

anyone see the cycle?

Yeah. All it does is stop legitimate sales. People who steal games (obviously) don't have to mess with the DRM. My PC game purchases have gone WAAAAAAY down since all this activation and Starforce-esque stuff started. I probably wouldn't even need an Xbox if not for PC activation...

Activation takes, like what, 10 seconds, and isn't required for all games. For most recent games, on steam or not, the DRM has been pretty painless. You mention Starforce but I haven't seen any recent games worth getting having that devious sort of DRM in the past 2 years or so.

[quote name='super_nerd']Activation takes, like what, 10 seconds, and isn't required for all games. For most recent games, on steam or not, the DRM has been pretty painless. You mention Starforce but I haven't seen any recent games worth getting having that devious sort of DRM in the past 2 years or so.[/QUOTE]

This may be true, but the damage is already done. I don't even want to deal with being forced to research my game purchases because of copy protection garbage. I've purchased a few PC games in the past year, but my console game purchases in that time outnumber my PC game purchases ten to one.

That being said, I am anticipating this deal. Thanks OP. Checking back in an hour.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Any idea if this can be added to an existing subscription, or would I just end up getting two copies? :lol: Good magazine if you don't get it.[/quote]

I got the lightning deal for OXBM a few months back even though I had an ongoing subscription. They just added the 12 new issues onto the tail end of my existing subscription so no double issues!:D

[quote name='super_nerd']Activation takes, like what, 10 seconds, and isn't required for all games. For most recent games, on steam or not, the DRM has been pretty painless. You mention Starforce but I haven't seen any recent games worth getting having that devious sort of DRM in the past 2 years or so.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jazzchamp']This may be true, but the damage is already done. I don't even want to deal with being forced to research my game purchases because of copy protection garbage. I've purchased a few PC games in the past year, but my console game purchases in that time outnumber my PC game purchases ten to one. [/QUOTE]

Mine too. And the length of time it takes to "activate" isn't the issue-it's that it's requiring a third party to give you permission to run something you bought to begin with.

[quote name='James in VA']I got the lightning deal for OXBM a few months back even though I had an ongoing subscription. They just added the 12 new issues onto the tail end of my existing subscription so no double issues!:D[/QUOTE]

Awesome! If I make it home in time I guess I'll add another year then! :)

*shrugs* Then I don't know why people are subscribing to a magazine for PC games when they're complaining about not wanting to buy PC games because of what I think are trivial issues, seems pretty pointless to me.

Does the PC Gamer pack-in disc have any occasional bonus content other than trailers and demos available online? I remember Computer Gaming World (RIP) had one disc a few years ago that included the full versions of Deus Ex, Thief II, and Warlords Battlecry. Does PC Gamer ever do anything like that?

I've gone ahead and reordered. Hopefully that'll add it to my subscription okay. Geez, it'll be 2010 before I have to renew!

I double checked, and last time I renewed I paid $20, so this is a really nice discount. Maximum PC is even pricier, I think.

EDIT: Okay, what the heck?!? I placed the order, and it did it's usual "here's stuff people who bought that also bought"...and it listed Games for Windows. Huh?!? There's a link, and it would let you order it...I *should* still have a subscription going if it exists, but why the heck does Amazon let you order a magazine that (I think) doesn't exist? :LOL:

[quote name='RotJ']Does the PC Gamer pack-in disc have any occasional bonus content other than trailers and demos available online? I remember Computer Gaming World (RIP) had one disc a few years ago that included the full versions of Deus Ex, Thief II, and Warlords Battlecry. Does PC Gamer ever do anything like that?[/QUOTE]

Honestly I don't pay much attention to the disc, but I think they sort of do things like that from time to time, although I don't know if it's as recent stuff. Just this past issue (or maybe the one before) they gave away the first Sid Meyer's Colonization, which I never got to play so I'm looking forward to playing that.

[quote name='super_nerd']*shrugs* Then I don't know why people are subscribing to a magazine for PC games when they're complaining about not wanting to buy PC games because of what I think are trivial issues, seems pretty pointless to me.[/QUOTE]

Not owning games you buy is not trivial :)

bread's done
Back