[DEAD] Anime DVD & BD Summer Sale (Up to 60% off on 1,000+ titles) @ DeepDiscount.com

WTK

CAGiversary!
Anime DVD & Blu-ray Summer Sale (Up to 60% off on 1,000+ titles) @ DeepDiscount.com

anime-landing-page_01.jpg

anime-landing-page_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']
I've actually seen it before, and want to own a copy. But thanks. Also, I don't like watching anime on Netflix because it's all dubbed, and I strongly prefer subbed. Supposedly Netflix is starting to support subtitles, so maybe we'll see dual-audio anime on there soon, but until they do that I've got to go elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you actually on the sub vs dub side (on most titles), but if you hadn't seen it and needed a tester it's not a terrible way to test out the material before you buy (this is what I use Netflix and Hulu for for the most part).

I heard Netflix was supposed to start supporting subtitles as well, but hopefully they do a better job than the hardcoded subs on Blood: The Last Vampire - they tried to be cool and put it in 16:9 format and ended up jacking the subtitles all up (cutting off the bottom portion of the 2nd line of text)...I love Netflix, but what fool looks at that converted product and thinks, "Yep, that one's good."?

[quote name='arcane93']Probably, but you know what? It's not going to look worse. I'm still afraid (I think we talked about this before on another thread) that Funimation may have seriously compromised the very high quality that was seen on the original Geneon seven DVD set by compressing it down to fit onto four DVDs in their release (granted, I still have not seen Funimation's release to confirm or deny this fear, but I can't see how they could compress it that much without losing significant quality).[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I know that, at least with their own Funimation titles that they've transition to four-disc collections from six or seven discs, there's been no loss in quality - they're just going from single-layer to dual-layer discs. I can't speak for Last Exile, but I've heard that their four-disc Le Chevalier D'eon collection took hit in video quality from the six ADV discs, so I suppose your concerns are justified. I was always puzzled as to why Funimation bothered to release a four-disc Last Exile collection when their Samurai Champloo collection is still the original seven discs from the Geneon release. Strange.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I was always puzzled as to why Funimation bothered to release a four-disc Last Exile collection when their Samurai Champloo collection is still the original seven discs from the Geneon release. Strange.[/QUOTE]

I have an answer :cool:

GENEON's license of Last Exile expired -> Free License -> FUNiMATiON bought it and used GENEON's dub/sub release and put it on 4 instead of 6 DVDs (ripping all extras and using double-layer-dvds).

But for Samurai Champloo, GENEON still own the license and its producing the original dvds (for singles earlier) for FUNiMATiONS "rescue-adventure". Same with Lyrical Nanoha, Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, Rozen Maiden, Karin and a few others.

On the other side, its the same with other releases where GENEON lost the license (Original Popotan DVD Release -> 3DVDs. GENEON lost license, ADV got it, ripped all extras/double-layer and released a 2DVD release).

But sometimes its impossible to get the original GENEON/ADV releases because of limited availability (like Kanon 2006 single releases) and you have to get the resized FUNiMATiON releases.

[quote name='SanjiX']Were you charged when you first ordered it, or were you charged right before they shipped it? According to the site, they would e-mail you on how long a item would take to arrive if it was backordered, is this true?[/QUOTE]
I think I was charged when I ordered it, but I can't be sure. I do know they never sent me an e-mail to tell me how long it should be, unless it was the standard "a few weeks" line. It's not like I was wholly dissatisfied, I got what I wanted at a real good price, but I had almost forgotten it was on backorder still until I got it.

[quote name='Shinpachi']I think I was charged when I ordered it, but I can't be sure. I do know they never sent me an e-mail to tell me how long it should be, unless it was the standard "a few weeks" line. It's not like I was wholly dissatisfied, I got what I wanted at a real good price, but I had almost forgotten it was on backorder still until I got it.[/QUOTE]

It may be based on their distributor's timelines getting the product from the manufacturer. I purchased "The Shield" from DD when that had a huge sale on it, and it was backordered. It's a Sony product, so DD may have better channels of communication with Sony than Funi or other smaller distributors. It only ended up taking me 2 1/2 weeks to get it (only about 5 or 6 days beyond what it originally would have been). That said, DD is one of those companies who charges when the order is made, despite what they say on their website (I'm not sure what it says) - they charged me for "The Shield" immediately. This practice has bitten them on the ass several times when they've had pricing errors and hundreds of people order a product in a short period of time. I swear this must happen on their site once per month - you think they would have learned by now.

damn, first time Deepdiscount hasn't shipped something in like 2 days for me :(, I ordered My Otome (which is and was in stock) on the 19th and it's STILL processing

[quote name='Shinpachi']I think I was charged when I ordered it, but I can't be sure. I do know they never sent me an e-mail to tell me how long it should be, unless it was the standard "a few weeks" line. It's not like I was wholly dissatisfied, I got what I wanted at a real good price, but I had almost forgotten it was on backorder still until I got it.[/QUOTE]

It's not like I'm complaining, I'm just saying I wasn't too happy that I'm charged when the items I ordered were still on back order. I sent a e-mail to there support concerning this issue. Hopefully they won't do this to anyone else.

As for my other order, it shipped today! And that's good. ;)

[quote name='SanjiX']It's not like I'm complaining, I'm just saying I wasn't too happy that I'm charged when the items I ordered were still on back order. I sent a e-mail to there support concerning this issue. Hopefully they won't do this to anyone else.

As for my other order, it shipped today! And that's good. ;)[/QUOTE]

Pretty weird because the website tells me.:

Code:
Upon acceptance of your order, your credit card will be authorized but not charged. Once there is shipment confirmation, your credit card will be charged for only the shipped items, shipping and handling charges and any applicable taxes.

It's likely just an authorization. They're checking to see if you have the funds available (and placing them on a temporary hold in the process). The charge should disappear in a few business days.

Best Buy does the same thing.

[quote name='thelonepig']It's likely just an authorization. They're checking to see if you have the funds available (and placing them on a temporary hold in the process). The charge should disappear in a few business days.

Best Buy does the same thing.[/QUOTE]
If I'm understanding you right, this did screw me one time. Best Buy cost me an overdraft charge back when I reserved my copy of Windows 7, they decided to wait until over a month after I placed my order but over a month before the street date to authorize the funds. Oh yeah, and on topic, Lucky Star's at a good price, I'd buy if if I hadn't disliked it.

[quote name='Shinpachi']If I'm understanding you right, this did screw me one time. Best Buy cost me an overdraft charge back when I reserved my copy of Windows 7, they decided to wait until over a month after I placed my order but over a month before the street date to authorize the funds. Oh yeah, and on topic, Lucky Star's at a good price, I'd buy if if I hadn't disliked it.[/QUOTE]

Yup, you understand correctly. I picked up Clash of the Titans when it was $12.99. Best Buy basically "tested" the account to make sure funds were available, so the charge showed up for a few days and then disappeared. The next week the same thing happened. Now it's been charged for good as they shipped the movie, but it sure can play havoc on running through the finances.

[quote name='Shinpachi']If I'm understanding you right, this did screw me one time. Best Buy cost me an overdraft charge back when I reserved my copy of Windows 7, they decided to wait until over a month after I placed my order but over a month before the street date to authorize the funds. Oh yeah, and on topic, Lucky Star's at a good price, I'd buy if if I hadn't disliked it.[/QUOTE]

simple way to avoid an overdraft charge. Use a credit card, NOT a debit card

Actually, new federal regulations made it so that it'll just get rejected instead now, unless I ask my bank for the privilege of having them "protect me" with exorbitant fees (err, the bank's required to get my consent to provide overdraft "protection"). It's BS because they used to just deny it anyway and then charge me for trying it in the first place (which then puts me below zero and stacks up charges from there). Really don't like my bank, but they've got the most convenient ATM locations around here, and I... don't really know why I haven't bothered to get a credit card, aside from that every offer is filled with all sorts of BS that I've never had the motivation to sort through.

You all were right. It was pre authorization.

The charge that you currently see on your credit card should only be a pre-authorization for the order. Our records do not indicate that we have processed an actual charge yet for the items. Please let us know if you would like us to take any action if the pre authorization does not come off within a few business days. We apologize in advance for any confusion this may cause.

It's really weird because the charges for both orders went away around the time I got the e-mail and then they came back this morning.

The prices on the stuff I never see on sale.....well is not a sale price lol. Most the stuff I saw with an actual sale price is in the anime legends boxes which I hate. If I am actually gonna buy anime I want it in a nice actulal boxset.

[quote name='Nico0020']The prices on the stuff I never see on sale.....well is not a sale price lol. Most the stuff I saw with an actual sale price is in the anime legends boxes which I hate. If I am actually gonna buy anime I want it in a nice actulal boxset.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately those days are dying out quickly. with the anime market the way it is Economy sets are the standard

[quote name='perdition(troy']is heroic age any good?[/QUOTE]

I got done watching it last night. It's a fun series, nothing wildly special but well worth the $20 I paid to own it

[quote name='Nico0020']yea I know. For example, I was so stoked to see Clannad getting a re-release, yet no special boxset or anything.[/QUOTE]
Ugh, the new Clannad boxset sucks. It's a stackpack that is twice as thick as it should be because they put a styrofoam insert to keep the stack in place. I would have preferred an economy boxset... at least those are usually thin. This is the worst boxset I've bought in recent memory.

[quote name='lilman']Ugh, the new Clannad boxset sucks. It's a stackpack that is twice as thick as it should be because they put a styrofoam insert to keep the stack in place. I would have preferred an economy boxset... at least those are usually thin. This is the worst boxset I've bought in recent memory.[/QUOTE]

*shudder, I really don't mind economy packaging at all. Big fancy boxes don't give me a hard on or anything but Stackpacks are HORRIFIC. Anything's better than those P.O.S.'s

[quote name='wormraper']*shudder, I really don't mind economy packaging at all. Big fancy boxes don't give me a hard on or anything but Stackpacks are HORRIFIC. Anything's better than those P.O.S.'s[/QUOTE]
I prefer the economy sets. I'm low on storage space so I want the box to take up as little room as possible. I don't care about fancy or le boxsets, unless they include some cool extra like a small artbook or ost.

It is so f*ing hard to take the discs out of the Clannad stackpack. I feel like the disc is going to crack when I force it out of the stack. I'm glad I only use the disc once to make a digital copy and then put the box away forever.

Outlaw Star...

I remember that show being pretty awesome but it could just be the nostalgia talking. I want to say I watched the first five episodes on VHS from animevillage... Yeah, it was that long ago.

The only shows I've liked in recent years is Hajime no Ippo, Gurren Lagann and Macross Frontier. Oh, I liked Haruhi and I'm very slowly watching Durarara!!! it's pretty slick.

So, Outlaw Star - is it still fun? Does it wrap up nicely?

Really want to pick up the Gundam Wing season 1 for 24 bucks but I wonder if there's any chance to this series being put on blu-ray.

[quote name='Devulture']Are the stackpacks like those found on multi-disc XBOX 360 game packages?[/QUOTE]
No, a stackpack is where all the discs are on a single spindle (picture a really short cd-r spindle placed within a dvd box casing).

[quote name='lilman']No, a stackpack is where all the discs are on a single spindle (picture a really short cd-r spindle placed within a dvd box casing).[/QUOTE]

A few multi-disc 360 games are packaged like that, actually. If I remember Blue Dragon was.. and I think Lost Odyssey.

A lot of good sets here. Just placed an order for Gurren Lagann and Clannad. I'll wait and see what other people get because I don't want to spent too much at once and everything looks tempting.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']How is Escaflowne? 8 discs for 24 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Escaflowne is an EXCELLENT series. Great great series, I can't recommend it enough

[quote name='wormraper']Escaflowne is an EXCELLENT series. Great great series, I can't recommend it enough[/QUOTE]

Yup, easily one of the best titles in this sale.

[quote name='wormraper']*shudder, I really don't mind economy packaging at all. Big fancy boxes don't give me a hard on or anything but Stackpacks are HORRIFIC. Anything's better than those P.O.S.'s[/QUOTE]

Damn skippy- I hate stackpacks with a passion myself and avoid them whenever possible. Actually, as of now, I've only bought one- the Wal-mart Moribito collection. And I still went online ahead of time and made sure I could get an appropriately-sized replacement case so I could junk that stackpack as soon as I opened it.

I still want a replacement case For Lost Oddessey- but it's proven to be basically impossible to find a standard width 4-disc DVD with room for a manual in it. I'll keep looking, though!

[quote name='Fire_Thief']What is Escaflowne about, no spoils?[/QUOTE]

If you're too lazy to use Google, you don't deserve to see Escaflowne.

[quote name='Broseph']Outlaw Star...

I remember that show being pretty awesome but it could just be the nostalgia talking. I want to say I watched the first five episodes on VHS from animevillage... Yeah, it was that long ago.

The only shows I've liked in recent years is Hajime no Ippo, Gurren Lagann and Macross Frontier. Oh, I liked Haruhi and I'm very slowly watching Durarara!!! it's pretty slick.

So, Outlaw Star - is it still fun? Does it wrap up nicely?[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, yes. Outlaw Star actually holds up really well and has a (fairly) solid dub, IMO. Outlaw Star was not released under the animevillage banner, though it was one of the first shows to be released under Bandai Ent (along with Cowboy Bebop).

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I wanted an opinion from a fellow anime lover, not a plot synopsis from a robot online. =/[/QUOTE]

Everyone, run! ROBOTS HAVE TAKEN OVER THE INTERNET!!

[quote name='thelonepig']Yes, yes, yes. Outlaw Star actually holds up really well and has a (fairly) solid dub, IMO. Outlaw Star was not released under the animevillage banner, though it was one of the first shows to be released under Bandai Ent (along with Cowboy Bebop).[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I might pull the trigger.

Plus, all this talk about Escaflowne is taking me back in time. I have the VHS collection - the one with a huuuge box and artwork of flowers and the heroine. It's very girly but I loved the hell out of that show.

Snagged 2 more sets in before the sale ends in a couple hours

Wolfs Rain Anime Legends complete set
Eureka Seven Complete Collection Season 1

(will have to grab season two of Eureka Seven when I have some more cash :( )

bread's done
Back