(DEAD) DDD 20% OFF SALE IS ON now until June 17th

starman9000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
The sale is on. DVDTALK works

Info from DDD's Dave at dvdtalk:
The 20% coupon excludes preorders, but applies to all DVDs, HDDVDs, Blu-Rays, UMDs, Posters, Storage Accessories and the new Puzzles and Board Games cateogries.

Your discount will show in your shopping cart and on your order history screen as a total promotional discount amount and will not be reflected on the line item basis.

The 20% coupons do not apply to Books, CDs, Electronics or Video Games.

However, we have discounted nearly 150,000 books and 15,000 CDs an additional 20% off for this sale. Those titles are marked with a "Mega Sale" logo and the price shown on the site is the discounted price--no coupon is necessary to get the discount on the titles marked with a "Mega Sale" logo. All of these titles will appear on the site on June 1 and there will be rooms for you to sort through the Book and CD titles on sale.

www.deepdiscount.com

Also here are past codes that may work this time around too:

DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
DVDPRICESEARCH
SUMMERSALE
YAHOO
ESPN
LATIMES
XM
SOUTHSIDE
WGN
WCKG

Season 1 is just as bad, but Season 2 is worse.
Here's a comparison shot from Season 1.
compare.jpg

Japanese Remaster vs Regular US DVD vs US Remaster

dallow, to answer your question: Japan had collectors box sets released for limited periods. Afterwards, they released the entire series on single DVDs with six episodes each. The Japanese ones are PROPERLY remastered and kept in their fullscreen glory. It looks a bit grainy, but that's to be expected from a show during the 80s, though it looks no where as asstastic as FUNimation's remasters do.

Hope for proper releases in the US? Never. Fans complained about the first set. We now see where the second set got us.

Here's an example. US remaster vs JP remaster.

98859921bf5.png

Bulma.jpg

I knew they looked a little off but didn't relize how badly, who ever works quality control at Funimation needs to be fired immediatly.

Wonder why they didn't just license the rights to the Japanese remaster job. I was going to say it would have probably been cheaper but after looking at the shoddy job performed i'm going to take that back.

Oh well At least I only paid 8 bucks for Season 2 and I'm due to receive Season 1 tommarow (paid 25). I might have to boycott the rest unfortuantly.

The Japanese one is the bottom one right? With the more natural colors and grain?
That's how I remember seeing the show many years ago.
That's how I want it.

Wonder how much those JPN collectors box sets go for on ebay...

[quote name='Drahken']Oh well At least I only paid 8 bucks for Season 2 and I'm due to receive Season 1 tommarow (paid 25). I might have to boycott the rest unfortuantly.[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know they were that bad. I thought the only thing bad about it was the 16:9 cropping. I haven't watched mine yet but I also got them for the same price you did. As far as the rest of the series if/when they come out, I might end up getting them anyway because, well, what other choice do we have here? I didn't catch if those single releases were any better but, at this point, I'm not going to spend more money to rebuy all those expensive singles.

Sweet my first order came today.

Batman anthology and NewsRadio season 5. It took about two days. I received the shipping email on June 4th. I choose the free shipping option.
But I am only two states away from them as well.

Tsukento ansewer one question for me, if i wanted to buy the DBZ sets on DVD which set would be the best to buy? Are they all bad at this point? I want an american release as i want to watch it in english. thanks!

[quote name='abhinav']Tsukento ansewer one question for me, if i wanted to buy the DBZ sets on DVD which set would be the best to buy? Are they all bad at this point? I want an american release as i want to watch it in english. thanks![/quote]
Unfortunately, there is no DBZ set on DVD that's definitive in the US. FUNimation, after having had over 90+ single DVD releases, started to compile the first episodes that weren't available before into uncut DVD releases. A little while in, they stopped and began this "remastered" nonsense. There's only, so far, two American remaster sets and both rather suck. FUNimation has officially confirmed that the one doing the remastering (who DOESN'T EVEN WORK WITH THEM) has made all the changes on their film masters. So now there will never be a way for them go back and release non-widescreen/"remastered" DVDs of what they screwed up with.

dallow: I wouldn't recommend eBay. You'll commonly run into scammers or bootleggers charging up the rear. Either way, the Dragon Ball Z series was split into two Japanese collectors sets that were released within a two year timeframe. Both were $1,000 each. The best option would be the Japanese single DVDs. They've finished releasing all of Z and are working on DB right now. Their last set was a movie boxset. How does it fair against FUNi's? Take a look at how "excellent" the film masters are that FUNi got.

[quote name='Tsukento']Unfortunately, there is no DBZ set on DVD that's definitive in the US. FUNimation, after having had over 90+ single DVD releases, started to compile the first episodes that weren't available before into uncut DVD releases. A little while in, they stopped and began this "remastered" nonsense. There's only, so far, two American remaster sets and both rather suck. FUNimation has officially confirmed that the one doing the remastering (who DOESN'T EVEN WORK WITH THEM) has made all the changes on their film masters. So now there will never be a way for them go back and release non-widescreen/"remastered" DVDs of what they screwed up with.

dallow: I wouldn't recommend eBay. You'll commonly run into scammers or bootleggers charging up the rear. Either way, the Dragon Ball Z series was split into two Japanese collectors sets that were released within a two year timeframe. Both were $1,000 each. The best option would be the Japanese single DVDs. They've finished releasing all of Z and are working on DB right now. Their last set was a movie boxset. How does it fair against FUNi's? Take a look at how "excellent" the film masters are that FUNi got.[/quote]

Wow, it really does lack in quality but beggars can't be choosers. And at the price I got them for, I'm not going to complain. Once I get into it, I probably won't be bothered by it and if I do, well, I only paid about $20 total for both.

Well, like I said, the sets themselves aren't worth nabbing at a price above $10 each. :p

Hell, I got my first set from GameStop used for $5.99. It was given a generic "Dragon Ball Z (any DVD)" tag, so I nabbed it at that to find out what all the fuss was about.

Yeah, the US sets are the "way the show was meant to be seen." Which apparently means, hey, this show was supposed to look fucking terrible. Holy shit it's bad.

[quote name='Tsukento']Well, like I said, the sets themselves aren't worth nabbing at a price above $10 each. :p

Hell, I got my first set from GameStop used for $5.99. It was given a generic "Dragon Ball Z (any DVD)" tag, so I nabbed it at that to find out what all the fuss was about.[/quote]

Yeah, but if that's all we can get, what else are we supposed to do? I'm a stickler for quality but if what we have is the best available, then so be it.

Personally, I went with the Japanese remasters in the end. Costs a little more to import, but at least I know I'm not getting shit quality. Never cared for the dub, anyways. The US DVD sets at $40 for 30+ episodes sounded too good to be true when it became apparent there were all these problems with it.

Just cause it's the only thing available around doesn't mean one has to take it in the ass for it. I'd feel very ripped off if I had to pay retail price for that set only to find how terrible the quality is.

[quote name='Tsukento']Personally, I went with the Japanese remasters in the end. Costs a little more to import, but at least I know I'm not getting shit quality. Never cared for the dub, anyways. The US DVD sets at $40 for 30+ episodes sounded too good to be true when it became apparent there were all these problems with it.

Just cause it's the only thing available around doesn't mean one has to take it in the ass for it. I'd feel very ripped off if I had to pay retail price for that set only to find how terrible the quality is.[/quote]

Well, I wasn't about to pay retail for them. Actually, I wasn't planning on buying them until that BB glitch happened and they sold for $8 for Season 2.

Do your imports have English subs? I don't care for dubs, either, but I don't understand Japanese so I'm willing to give up some picture quality over being able to understand what's going on. Besides, if I have nothing to compare it to, there's nothing to complain about. True, there isn't much to need to know when it comes to a show like DBZ, but still.

But if you're a crazy enough fan of DBZ, or anything for that matter, you'd probably end up importing a Japanese set, anyway, due to whatever extras it might have, even if the masters were the same. [This is a general statement.] So for anyone who has no desire to get potentially reamed by sites with insane import prices and who don't have their own hook-ups in Japan, I really don't see anyone "taking it in the ass."

Placed a 2nd and final order:

Cosby Show Season 3
Cosby Show Season 4
Dr. Katz Season 2
World of Magic Knights Rayearth - Seasons 1 & 2

Order Total:
$69.28

I had trouble using DVDPRICESEARCH, but had no problem with SUPERSALE.

My first order shipped today finally! :)

Made my first order, after being forced to put in orders for a ton of cheap games:

Defenders of the Earth Volume 2
Voltron Volume 2

Threw a bunch of shit on my wishlist that I'll look at ordering next week. One thing I noticed is that the House Season 1/Season 2 combo is only $50, $40 after discount. No better than finding both sets for $20, but that's not necessarily an easy task.

[quote name='Tsukento']Unfortunately, there is no DBZ set on DVD that's definitive in the US. FUNimation, after having had over 90+ single DVD releases, started to compile the first episodes that weren't available before into uncut DVD releases. A little while in, they stopped and began this "remastered" nonsense. There's only, so far, two American remaster sets and both rather suck. FUNimation has officially confirmed that the one doing the remastering (who DOESN'T EVEN WORK WITH THEM) has made all the changes on their film masters. So now there will never be a way for them go back and release non-widescreen/"remastered" DVDs of what they screwed up with.[/URL][/QUOTE]

I thought it was an all digital process why/how are they modifying the orginal masters?

thought i might as well post this deal here

melbrooks.jpg
Mel Brooks Collection $99.95 $39.90

Includes:

Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Silent Movie
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
To Be or Not to Be
History of the World, Part 1
The Twelve Chairs
High Anxiety

[quote name='Mugen Power']Do your imports have English subs? I don't care for dubs, either, but I don't understand Japanese so I'm willing to give up some picture quality over being able to understand what's going on. Besides, if I have nothing to compare it to, there's nothing to complain about. True, there isn't much to need to know when it comes to a show like DBZ, but still.[/quote] Since the Japanese DVDs were made for the Japanese fans, they don't include English subtitles (very rarely does any Japanese show/movie DVD have foreign tranlations). While that last bit may be true, anyone buying the DVDs has pretty much seen the series entirely on TV by now. The quality where lines are no longer visible is glaring enough.

[quote name='Mugen Power'] But if you're a crazy enough fan of DBZ, or anything for that matter, you'd probably end up importing a Japanese set, anyway, due to whatever extras it might have, even if the masters were the same. [This is a general statement.][/quote] There aren't any extras on the import DVDs. Same as the US ones. Only difference is that the Japanese DVDs have THE original film masters and are truely remastered.

[quote name='Mugen Power']So for anyone who has no desire to get potentially reamed by sites with insane import prices and who don't have their own hook-ups in Japan, I really don't see anyone "taking it in the ass."[/quote] Well, it's technically a "We fucked up our film masters and refuse to fix any of the problems we're having, nor do we intend to actually listen to any problems people have with the sets that we could fix. This is all we're gonna give you. Dragon Ball Z; the way WE intend for you to see it." situation we've got there.

Bad enough their Mexican dub DVD releases use the same remastered footage quality.

[quote name='Tsukento']Since the Japanese DVDs were made for the Japanese fans, they don't include English subtitles (very rarely does any Japanese show/movie DVD have foreign tranlations). While that last bit may be true, anyone buying the DVDs has pretty much seen the series entirely on TV by now. The quality where lines are no longer visible is glaring enough.

There aren't any extras on the import DVDs. Same as the US ones. Only difference is that the Japanese DVDs have THE original film masters and are truely remastered.

Well, it's technically a "We fucked up our film masters and refuse to fix any of the problems we're having, nor do we intend to actually listen to any problems people have with the sets that we could fix. This is all we're gonna give you. Dragon Ball Z; the way WE intend for you to see it." situation we've got there.

Bad enough their Mexican dub DVD releases use the same remastered footage quality.[/quote]

I'm quite aware that the Japanese versions don't have English subs, which is why importing those copies isn't much of a viable option for most of us, regardless of how much more it costs. Also, I'm sure there are a lot of people who haven't seen the entire series on TV, not to mention the even smaller number of people who've seen it with the original Japanese track. For those people, myself included, subs are a necessity. And like I said before, even on a show like DBZ where dialogue isn't exactly as important as another show, it is still definitely nice to have an option to read what's going on.

And although in the DBZ situation, you're not getting anything extra, there were and are situations where JDM releases do get more and/or better extras, which is what drives many hardcore fans of whatever it is to go and spend all that extra money to get an imported copy.

So for the rest of us who don't want to or care enough to import a copy, this is surely the best we can get at this point in time. So, yeah, we can complain, but then no one's forcing us to buy it.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that no one's forcing us, it's that the ONLY version they're giving us happens to be EXTREMELY terrible quality. Especially when they've marketed these sets as supposedly having frame by frame restoration when such is not the case. False advertisement, if you wanna call it that.

Similar to the case how a 4Kids dubbed anime is only available in an edited format and they have no interest in making a format available to the crowd that doesn't want the one that is available.

bah with no subbs i just can't go through with the import. The last time i honestly watched some of these episodes was when i was 10 years old and i don't remember everything. stupid bad quailty transfers.

[quote name='Tsukento']Don't get me wrong. It's not that no one's forcing us, it's that the ONLY version they're giving us happens to be EXTREMELY terrible quality. Especially when they've marketed these sets as supposedly having frame by frame restoration when such is not the case. False advertisement, if you wanna call it that.

Similar to the case how a 4Kids dubbed anime is only available in an edited format and they have no interest in making a format available to the crowd that doesn't want the one that is available.[/quote]

What if they did do a frame-by-frame restoration but the people who did it just royally F'ed up? Anyway, I don't want to seem like I'm defending these guys, because I'm not. In fact, before I bought that $8 set, part of the reason I wasn't going to buy it was because of the stupid cropping issue. It wasn't until I came on this thread that I found out about the image quality (or lack thereof). And like abhinav, the last time I saw these was when I was a very long time ago, before any DB series became mainstream.

So anyway, my point is that we either have to suck it up and deal with it or just not bother to pick it up. We get screwed with getting inferior products to overseas versions of a lot of things that are a lot more expensive and it's up to us to decide whether or not it's worth putting up with the screwing. In my case, at the price I paid and the fact that these have the original JDM voices and conveniently have all the episodes all in one place, I'm willing to overlook the crap.

[quote name='coltcannon']Could you move the DBZ talk somewhere else please?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was somewhere else, but a mod merged the threads.

Wow. The order I placed last night shipped this morning. I got a confirmation email around 9AM EST. Talk about fast! My first order took almost a week.

I got Saiyuki Complete collection to go along with the Saiyuki Reload volumes I ordered in the geneon sale. price of complete collection... 53$

My 3rd and final order:

Tenacious D - The Complete Masterworks - $12.05

Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny - $13.48

Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Set - $14.14

Batman 1 (SE)- $14.45

Subtotal: $54.12
Coupon or Discount: $10.82
Total: $43.30

Also got my first order in the mail today, took about a week to get here.

After deciding to forego this sale completely this time around (too much credit card debt) and purposely avoiding this thread so as not to be tempted, I finally opened my Season One set of Battlestar Galactica that I bought in the last 20% sale. My wife and I watched the first two hours of the miniseries that preceded the show last night, (neither of us had ever seen the show before) and now we're both completely hooked.

Long story short, I caved and made my only purchase for this time around, the Season 2.0/ Season 2.5 double-pack of BSG, for $41.51. We're calling it my Father's Day gift. It's currently OOS, but it will take us a while to get through Season One anyway, since the only time we have to watch it together is on weekends.

oh shoot... the Royal Rumble Anthology doesn't show up in searches anymore. It still shows up on my wish list, but underneath it says "Inventory: Discontinued."

Bummer, but I guess that's a little more money I'll be saving this time around. Probably a good thing since I'll be going nuts as soon as my birthday passes this week (haven't placed any orders yet since I have no idea what I might be getting as a gift).

Probably not going to get anything else from this sale after I splurged on 4 seasons of the X-Files from Best Buy @ $20/season this week. Next sale will probably be a big one for me.

I heard horror stories about this place not shipping in proper cases and discs being loose and item stock misrepresentation and month long shipping times. Noone here ever had that happen to them?

I'm sure it was posted, but how long is the normal shipping take.

My order was placed at the first of the month when the sale started. It should be here any day, unless there shipping is usually a little slow.

[quote name='genfuyung']I heard horror stories about this place not shipping in proper cases and discs being loose and item stock misrepresentation and month long shipping times. Noone here ever had that happen to them?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I have already received all my orders.

I placed my first order of probably 3. Starting out small...

True Romance, Almost Famous and a Best Picture Collection (w/Gladiator, Braveheart, Titantic, Terms of Endearment, American Beauty and something else)

[quote name='genfuyung']I heard horror stories about this place not shipping in proper cases and discs being loose and item stock misrepresentation and month long shipping times. Noone here ever had that happen to them?[/quote]

I've made tons of orders from deepdiscount and not once has something been shipped incorrectly. It's always factory sealed in its proper box and usually arrives in 1 - 2 weeks even during these 20% sales when they're getting hammered.

my Sliders s3 came with a loose disc all scratched to hell.
They were pretty quick about sending a prepaid label , though so thats good.

[quote name='mr ryles']I'm sure it was posted, but how long is the normal shipping take.

My order was placed at the first of the month when the sale started. It should be here any day, unless there shipping is usually a little slow.[/QUOTE]

to answer my own question I got my order today. Like 20 minutes after I posted that even.

Everything was complete, factory sealed with no problems.

[quote name='genfuyung']I heard horror stories about this place not shipping in proper cases and discs being loose and item stock misrepresentation and month long shipping times. Noone here ever had that happen to them?[/quote]

Nope, haven't had those issues before (knock on wood).

The "loose disc" thing happens to any DVD/CD and is not limited to specific retailers, online or otherwise.

I placed my final order last night.
Quantity Item # Description Price Status
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- ---------
1 BHV047028 DVD : ULTRAMAN-V.02 $ 17.56 In-stock
1 BVD013078 DVD : TOMBSTONE $ 11.22 In-stock
1 BVD023540 DVD : JACKIE BROWN (CE) $ 11.22 In-stock
1 CME080272 DVD : GHIDORAH-THREE HEADED MONST $ 11.79 In-stock
1 CME080273 DVD : INVASION OF THE ASTRO MONST $ 11.79 In-stock
1 LGE021176 DVD : LOST ROOM $ 11.99 In-stock
1 MCA029798 DVD : SCARFACE (1983) $ 11.38 In-stock
1 WBD075442 DVD : SUPERMAN-ANIMATED SERIES V. $ 15.02 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 101.97
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 101.97

I've never really had a problem with DD and I've placed dozens of orders. Once a DVD got lost in the mail, but I called them up and they sent out a replacement the next day.
If you order a DVD that's in a standard case, they ship it in a form fitting cardboard box. If you get several items, or large items they are shipped in boxes packed with those clear plastic air things, which I've never had a problem with.
Also for shipping times, the free shipping is media mail, which is the slowest type of mail, though I've never had anything take more then a week to get to me after they shipped it (but then again I live in Iowa, they are in Illinois).

[quote name='Maklershed']Should I go with Outlaw Star or Escaflowne?[/QUOTE]

Escaflowne is much better if you ask me.

Also, I started to watch Rescue Me season 3 on blu-ray today, and the picture quality if phenomenal. I highly recommend it for blu-ray users.

bread's done
Back