(DEAD) DDD 20% OFF SALE IS ON now until June 17th

starman9000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
The sale is on. DVDTALK works

Info from DDD's Dave at dvdtalk:
The 20% coupon excludes preorders, but applies to all DVDs, HDDVDs, Blu-Rays, UMDs, Posters, Storage Accessories and the new Puzzles and Board Games cateogries.

Your discount will show in your shopping cart and on your order history screen as a total promotional discount amount and will not be reflected on the line item basis.

The 20% coupons do not apply to Books, CDs, Electronics or Video Games.

However, we have discounted nearly 150,000 books and 15,000 CDs an additional 20% off for this sale. Those titles are marked with a "Mega Sale" logo and the price shown on the site is the discounted price--no coupon is necessary to get the discount on the titles marked with a "Mega Sale" logo. All of these titles will appear on the site on June 1 and there will be rooms for you to sort through the Book and CD titles on sale.

www.deepdiscount.com

Also here are past codes that may work this time around too:

DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
DVDPRICESEARCH
SUMMERSALE
YAHOO
ESPN
LATIMES
XM
SOUTHSIDE
WGN
WCKG

All I've bought so far is the Haruhi box... I'm a little disappointed I won't be able to pick up the Twelve Kingdoms Collections that are coming out in June, but... whatever.

It's definitely not my last order though. I should really pick up more of Ergo Proxy, get the Fighting Spirit movie, and finish off stuff like My Hime.

[quote name='Blade']Which code did you use?

Are Anime Legends Collections any better or worse than the original collections?[/QUOTE]
It works with any code. Anime Legends releases have the exact same contents, disc-wise, as the original releases - you just don't get the original packaging.

IIRC, the only significantly terrible budget rereleases are the thinpack collections that ADV does... as those have all the extras cut out.

I need to get that scrapped princess collection now that it's cheap as hell.

[quote name='Blade']Which code did you use? It doesn't show any discount anywhere for me.

[/quote]

I used nytimes, but I just tried dvdtalk, and that shows a discount too.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']And that's exactly your problem - you like crap! ;)[/QUOTE]

Ouch!! ;) But seriously, if anyone's looking for good anime (imo) some things that I don't believe have been mentioned so far:
Gungrave
Now and Then, Here and There
Wolf's Rain
Soul Hunter
Princess Nine
Blue Gender
Crono Crusade
Most of these should be fairly inexpensive and offer a good mix of drama, emotion, violence, and the occasional disproportionately endowed female. The great thing about anime is there's something for everyone!!

2 quick questions....

1. Did they push back the release of Fantastic Four extended edition to 6/19 at DDD after the sale so no one buys it for 20% off? I think if you price match at CC it's cheaper anyway right?

2. Fantastic Four animated vol 1 come out on Tues. It only has 4 episodes. Should I wait for a larger set? Will they produce one?

[quote name='abhinav']I have a question, if stuff is out of stock can i still order it with the discount?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Pre orders? No.

[quote name='Kuma']ok so does anyone have anymore codes. i believe they only work once[/quote]

You have made over 10 orders?

Thinking of picking up The Coyote Ragtime Show as well as Calvin and Hobbs and a few more HD-DVDs in one more order. I kind of miss the previous years' enthusiam where everyone had huge lists of stuff that I could check out.

I am glad that this sale runs for a couple of weeks as this has already gotten more expensive than I wanted and it's nice to space things out.

[quote name='gunm']Thinking of picking up The Coyote Ragtime Show as well as Calvin and Hobbs and a few more HD-DVDs in one more order. I kind of miss the previous years' enthusiam where everyone had huge lists of stuff that I could check out.

I am glad that this sale runs for a couple of weeks as this has already gotten more expensive than I wanted and it's nice to space things out.[/QUOTE]

Coyote Ragtime is the definition of mediocre anime.

also, my enthusiasm is kinda gone because... well, I have most of the stuff I need. That, and I'm working at DDD's retail store, so when that opens, my incentive to bother with this sale is pretty much gone thanks to employee discounts and the like.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'd assume that things would make much more sense if you watched Utena from the beginning, yes.[/QUOTE]

Well, my price-check just now suggests DD curently only stocks the Black Rose saga boxset... and a quick check of my other main anime sources has the first box MIA.

Guess I have to skip it for now regardless. Ah well...

[quote name='Kuma']Am i the only person who didnt care for Utena?[/QUOTE]
Let's not forget the TRUE ending for Utena in the movie....

*Spoiler alert*

Utena transforms into a car? Total wtf moment for me.

[quote name='Chacrana']Coyote Ragtime is the definition of mediocre anime.

also, my enthusiasm is kinda gone because... well, I have most of the stuff I need. That, and I'm working at DDD's retail store, so when that opens, my incentive to bother with this sale is pretty much gone thanks to employee discounts and the like.[/quote]

You work for deepdiscount?

[quote name='y2kenjination']Let's not forget the TRUE ending for Utena in the movie....[/QUOTE]
Pretty visuals and an amazing soundtrack are all the Utena movie had going for it. Talk about a bastardization of an amazing TV series, reminiscent of the Escaflowne film in its terribleness.

I was on the fence about How I Met Your Mother (already seen them all at first broadcast), and then I saw that the DVDs are fullscreen. No way I'm supporting such boneheadery.

[quote name='Chacrana']also, my enthusiasm is kinda gone because... well, I have most of the stuff I need. That, and I'm working at DDD's retail store, so when that opens, my incentive to bother with this sale is pretty much gone thanks to employee discounts and the like.[/QUOTE]Will I be able to walk into the store twice a year and say "USATODAY" to get a massive discount?

[quote name='smashthesymbols']Don't know if this has been mentioned, but there's absolutely insane deals available here for The Complete Far Side and Complete Calvin and Hobbes collections.

Far Side - $53.54 ($85.05 on Amazon, $108 on Barnes and Noble)
Calvin and Hobbes - $59.34 ($94.50, $120)

I just picked up both. I've been wanting them for years but could never afford the $100+ they go for in stores. It'll probably mean I order almost no DVDs from the sale, but oh well.[/quote]

Nice finds on both. I'm in for the Far Side, as I bought C&H when it was released for ~$75. My only concern is how well it's going to hold up during shipping: both are extremely heavy items (especially the C&H set) and I had to exchange my copy of C&H locally because it arrived from B&N online with significant dings to two corners.

Is Magic Knight Rayearth any good? The fact that it's only 29 bucks for 1375 minutes is double what my normal blind buy point is ($10-15 for 13 eps, $15-30 for 26+ eps) but I'd still like some feedback.

Rayearth is fantastic if you like Clamp stuff or even moderate shojo stuff. I'd argue it's probably a more "essential" watch for a shojo fan then Sailor Moon at that price. Buy it.

Got another question. I'm about to place a second order on some books and notice that the link to some of them is wrong (i.e. shows Vol. 16 instead of Vol. 22) and this is for A LOT of them. BUT the picture for the cover art AND the ISBN number are correct. If I place an order, will they give me the correct item instead of going by the title in the link? Has this happened to anyone before so I can get some insight on this? Thanks.

[quote name='mkelehan']Will I be able to walk into the store twice a year and say "USATODAY" to get a massive discount?[/QUOTE]

I asked that question myself. They told me the store wouldn't be open in time for the sale (it's supposed to open June 15th) so I was like, "when's the f-in' sale then?" And they said it started the very end of May. So yes, I do work there part time. I think there's only one retail store for them though....

If someone can shout USATODAY or DVDTALK and expect a discount though, I will stab them.

1st Order:
HOME IMPROVEMENT-2ND SEASON $ 15.51
SCRUBS-5TH SEASON $ 22.31
KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL-FULL S $ 17.49
COSBY SHOW-1ST SEASON, THE $ 9.75
COSBY SHOW-2ND SEASON, THE $ 12.19
SAMURAI JACK-3RD SEASON $ 17.22
TEX AVERY'S DROOPY-COMPLETE $ 15.02
TEEN TITANS-3RD SEASON $ 10.59

Merchandise Total: $ 120.08

2nd Order
THE COMPLETE FAR SIDE $ 53.54
THE COMPLETE CALVIN AND HOBBES $ 59.34
MYTHBUSTERS-1ST COLLECTION $ 16.07
DEADLIEST CATCH-1ST SEASON $ 16.07
TRUE GRIT (SE/WS) $ 11.03
RIO BRAVO (SE) $ 10.81
COWBOYS (DELUXE EDITION), T $ 10.70

Merchandise Total: $ 177.56

I hadn't planned on spending this much until I saw the Complete Calvin and Hobbes and the Complete Far Side Books were part of the sale.

Could someone describe the Rayearth packaging for me? I know there's a thin cardboard box holding two thick DVD cases. What are the cases like? This is a series I've wanted for a long time and, though I prefer the original box sets, I might just pick up this collection.

[quote name='moiety']Could someone describe the Rayearth packaging for me? I know there's a thin cardboard box holding two thick DVD cases. What are the cases like? This is a series I've wanted for a long time and, though I prefer the original box sets, I might just pick up this collection.[/QUOTE]

It looks like the same kind of cases the 1st economy pack came in... which means 6 discs, 2 per 'page', in a case about the thickness of 2 standard DVD cases.

But I'm not 100% on that... it means they either re-did the discs for season 2, (and they've never made new Rayearth discs before), or they removed the special features disc from the season 1 economy set.

my 1st order:

CHICKEN LITTLE Blu-Ray $ 21.46 In-stock
UNDERWORLD-EVOLUTION Blu-Ray $ 20.97 In-stock
MONSTER HOUSE Blu-Ray $ 21.47 In-stock
T2 Blu-Ray $ 18.26 Avl 06/13
RESERVOIR DOGS Blu-Ray $ 19.24 In-stock
DRAGONHEART HD-DVD $ 17.56 In-stock
THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK HD-DVD $ 17.56 Avl 06/08
ARMY OF DARKNESS HD-DVD $ 20.17 Avl 06/12
THE FAST & THE FURIOUS HD-DVD $ 17.56 Avl 06/13
2 FAST 2 FURIOUS HD-DVD $ 17.56 Avl 06/08
FIELD OF DREAMS HD-DVD $ 17.56 In-stock
THE FRIGHTENERS (DC) HD-DVD $ 17.56 Avl 06/08
THE TERMINATOR Blu-Ray $ 16.39 Avl 06/08
LUCKY NUMBER SLEVIN HD-DVD $ 19.14 In-stock
BATMAN BEGINS HD-DVD $ 15.46 Avl 06/07
THE LAST SAMURAI HD-DVD $ 15.46 Avl 06/13
A SCANNER DARKLY HD-DVD $ 15.46 In-stock

Total for this Order: $ 308.84

[quote name='Mugen Power']Got another question. I'm about to place a second order on some books and notice that the link to some of them is wrong (i.e. shows Vol. 16 instead of Vol. 22) and this is for A LOT of them. BUT the picture for the cover art AND the ISBN number are correct. If I place an order, will they give me the correct item instead of going by the title in the link? Has this happened to anyone before so I can get some insight on this? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
If the ISBN number is correct, you'll be fine. This came up before with some manga that I ordered as well, and I received exactly what I was supposed to.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']If the ISBN number is correct, you'll be fine. This came up before with some manga that I ordered as well, and I received exactly what I was supposed to.[/quote]

Thanks, I just checked my e-mail and the order confirmation actually shows the correct title.

On that note, my second batch of orders consisted of:

Initial D - Vol. 20-26

Made a second order:
Quantity Item # Description Price Status
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- ---------
1 NLD007347 DVD : LORD OF THE RINGS-EXTENDED $ 44.69 In-stock
1 PRD088627 DVD : AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL-1S $ 21.83 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 66.52

Hopefully I won't think of anything else to get by the time I order Deadwood Season 3... tho Naruto is tempting.

Made two orders:

ORDER ONE
IMA002474 TWILIGHT ZONE-COMPLETE DEFI $ 135.90 , Avl 06/13

Merchandise Total: $ 135.90
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 135.90

ORDER TWO

DIACM010025 BKS : BEAST WARS:THE GATHERING $ 4.57 , In-Stock

MCA025263 DVD : AMAZING STORIES-1ST SEASON $ 27.11 , In-Stock

TOKYP182343 BKS : BATTLE ROYALE 14 $4.57 , In-Stock

TOKYP532446 BKS : BATTLE ROYALE $4.57 , In-Stock

TOKYP532644 BKS : BATTLE ROYALE $4.57 , On-Order (ship in 1-3 days)

TOKYP816203 BKS : BATTLE ROYALE 15 $4.57 , On-Order (ship in 1-3 days)

WBD059430 DVD : WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU-1ST S $22.07 , In-Stock

Merchandise Total: $ 72.03

Total for this Order: $ 72.03

FYI...I ordered Battle Royale Manga 12-15 to finish off my collection.

[quote name='abhinav']I have a question, if stuff is out of stock can i still order it with the discount?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mr ryles']Yes.

Pre orders? No.[/QUOTE]

I sure hope so. I've seen it said here and DVD Talk forums that the coupon applies to out-of-stock items, but when I place my order the discount isn't subtracted from those out-of-stock items. I'll have to keep an eye on what I'm charged when these out-of-stock items finally ship.

I ordered The Cosby Show S2 when it was OOS (and still is) and the price was discounted. You might want to check with them on your OOS items. It's only the preorders that are excluded from the coupon.

I can also confirm that the discount works on OOS items. I made two separate orders and both orders contained items that were OOS at the time of the order. The discount was still taken off on all items.

1 FXD036357 DVD : VICKI $ 8.31 In-stock
1 FXD036360 DVD : SHOCK $ 8.31 In-stock
1 FXD036363 DVD : FOURTEEN HOURS $ 8.31 In-stock
1 FXD043283 DVD : FIXED BAYONETS $ 8.31 In-stock
1 FXD043664 DVD : HELL & HIGH WATER $ 8.31 In-stock
1 LGE021100 DVD : JEAN RENOIR COLLECTORS EDIT $ 19.92 In-stock
1 PRD003834 DVD : TWIN PEAKS-2ND SEASON $ 29.51 In-stock
1 RANDO931495 BKS : THE FOUNTAIN $ 15.94 On-order
Will usually ship within 1-3 days
1 WBD015839 DVD : RIO BRAVO (ULTIMATE CE) $ 21.18 In-stock
1 WBD028376 DVD : FOUNTAIN (WS), THE $ 16.38 Avl 06/01

Merchandise Total: $ 144.48

Total for this Order: $ 144.48
1 MGD001750 DVD : WOODY ALLEN COLLECTION 3 $ 31.91 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 31.91

Total for this Order: $ 31.91
1 BANPP791038 BKS : THE GREAT MOVIES $ 8.46 On-order
1 BANPP791986 BKS : THE GREAT MOVIES II $ 8.46 On-order
1 FARPB120707 BKS : TRIER ON VON TRIER $ 7.49 On-order
1 FARPB122018 BKS : LYNCH ON LYNCH $ 7.98 On-order
1 RANDO931495 BKS : THE FOUNTAIN $ 12.75 On-order
1 RANPP471439 BKS : SOMETHING LIKE AN AUTOBIOGR $ 7.49 On-order
1 VDM008363 DVD : MR DEATH $ 8.19 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 60.82

Total for this Order: $ 60.82
I didn't realize that the codes could work on books (at least right now they do, anyway), so I ordered the Fountain graphic novel twice and I'll just return the more expensive one.

fyi, with the oos it might take a verrrry long time if it's not a common dvd. my boyfriend ordered the 70's "get carter" and it took about 2 months or so to finally get to him. oddly enough, there were two copies of the disc inside the sealed case haha.

[quote name='modium']I didn't realize that the codes could work on books (at least right now they do, anyway), so I ordered the Fountain graphic novel twice and I'll just return the more expensive one.[/quote]

They worked on mine because it was marked as a "Mega Deal." I thought that was the only reason why, according to what I read here. Do they work on ALL books?

Seems early this year, well let's see if I can scrounge up a little money to buy a few things or not. :whistle2:k actually if I get this new job this week I'll definitely be making a purchase.

Order #2 (includes some books):

Quantity Item # Description Price Status
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- ---------
1 BVD029244 DVD : SUPER MARIO BROTHERS $ 5.13 In-stock
1 RANDJ575068 BKS : BEYOND THE DEEPWOODS $ 5.88 In-stock
1 RANDJ575070 BKS : STORMCHASER $ 5.88 On-order
1 VIZCO150319 BKS : FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST 6 $ 4.57 In-stock
1 VIZCO150331 BKS : DEATH NOTE 4 $ 3.66 In-stock
1 WBD007730 DVD : ED EDD N EDDY-1ST SEASON $ 10.59 In-stock
1 WBD007807 DVD : FOSTER'S HOME-1ST SEASON $ 10.59 In-stock
1 WBD018318 DVD : IRON GIANT,THE (SE/WS) $ 6.78 In-stock
1 WBD038930 DVD : RICHIE RICH $ 6.62 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 59.70

Total for this Order: $ 59.70

[EDIT: Just wanted to note that this is my first DDD purchase]

Just curious guys, how long does it usually take DD to process their orders? I made an order on thursday and paid for the 1 day shipping (like $17 extra) and the fucking thing hasn't even been processed yet. What gives?

[quote name='briansraregames'][EDIT: Just wanted to note that this is my first DDD purchase]

Just curious guys, how long does it usually take DD to process their orders? I made an order on thursday and paid for the 1 day shipping (like $17 extra) and the fucking thing hasn't even been processed yet. What gives?[/quote]

That is a bit odd but they're probably so swamped that it may have fallen through the cracks. Have you emailed them?

[quote name='briansraregames'][EDIT: Just wanted to note that this is my first DDD purchase]

Just curious guys, how long does it usually take DD to process their orders? I made an order on thursday and paid for the 1 day shipping (like $17 extra) and the fucking thing hasn't even been processed yet. What gives?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes the system get's slow when there is alot going on, I think in the past i've gotten shipping notifications after I had my packages. They possibly shipped it on Friday, but since it was the weekend it might get delivered today, if not call and complain you paid for overnight.

Most of my first order shipped today via the standard free method. I'm sure the size/weight of the order means they shipped it slow boat, so I suspect I won't be getting it for another 4-6 weeks. All my small orders (1-3 regular dvds or 1 average-sized box set) in the past went USPS Priority which takes about 3 business days to Hawaii from their West Coast distribution center. It really depends on how big/heavy your order is and how far you are from their warehouse(s) as far as how long it takes.

I've never used their expedited service.

Aw, seems like the coupon doesn't work on books anymore. Had some more manga I wanted to get too. But the prices are still decent.

BTW, anyone ever read the manga Vagabond? How is it?

[quote name='evophile']Aw, seems like the coupon doesn't work on books anymore. Had some more manga I wanted to get too. But the prices are still decent.[/QUOTE]The coupon never worked with books. It's just some books are on sale for 20% off anyway. They're marked as "Mega Sale!".

bread's done
Back