Dead Island (PC) $9.99 on Newegg

Did the game still look factory sealed? I don't see how that could have happened, unless game had previously been opened. I got mine and was going to keep it sealed since I won't get around to playing it for some time.

Received in the mail the other day. Good game that is a little slow to start. Controls need some tweeking but DI has a great modding community! PC version def way to go.

[quote name='pun123']Just got mine today went to install and steam said it was a duplicate CD key, so I emailed newegg and lets see what they say, sucks.[/QUOTE]
If Newegg doesn't help you just send a support ticket to Steam. They will ask you to send in a photograph of the key showing that you own it. They should be able to take care of it for you. Plus, I think the person who used the key gets their account suspended for theft. At least that's what I've heard. Yay.

Either way, Steam should be able to activate the game for you since you can prove you own it.

[quote name='bruceg']Did the game still look factory sealed? I don't see how that could have happened, unless game had previously been opened. I got mine and was going to keep it sealed since I won't get around to playing it for some time.[/QUOTE]

This could be a lot of things: accidental double-print of key; pirate getting that specific key using a key-generator; user error. A lot of people had this problem with Arkham City.

When I get a new Steam game via retail I usually input the key even if I don't think I'll be playing it for a while. There's something oddly cloying about watching the new titles show up on your list . . . .

It's happened with Dead Island a lot -- I think somewhere along the line a ton of keys hit the black market. Mine should be arriving today so hopefully I don't have to fiddle with Steam support to get things sorted out. Only possible danger is if Newegg intentionally sold copies that had been returned which I hope they wouldn't do considering how a Steamworks game is rendered worthless that way.

[quote name='bruceg']Did the game still look factory sealed? I don't see how that could have happened, unless game had previously been opened. I got mine and was going to keep it sealed since I won't get around to playing it for some time.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was completely sealed had to cut it open.

I guess now we know why the price was 9.99, shame on you NEWEGG. Just emailed them and Steam so we will see what happens.

Well mine turned out to be okay. Newegg probably won't do anything. As someone else mentioned you need to send in a Steam support ticket with a photo of your physical key on the manual and then they'll get it activated.

[quote name='Mooby']Well mine turned out to be okay. Newegg probably won't do anything. As someone else mentioned you need to send in a Steam support ticket with a photo of your physical key on the manual and then they'll get it activated.[/QUOTE]

Likely wouldn't hurt to send a copy of the invoice (receipt) to them as well. Though i'd only do that if they asked.

Asides from that if newegg, steam or the developer did nothing. It would certainly be lawsuit filing time.

Just got mine today as well, I checked the steam site and it says:

"
Note:

Retail CD-Keys for this game cannot be registered through Steam. If you wish to create a shortcut to this game under your Library, instructions can be found here:"

So the code cant be activated through steam? But the back of the box says that you have to accept the steam agreement?

Here is a link to the page:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2187-RYJN-8061

[quote name='jcmeadows']Just got mine today as well, I checked the steam site and it says:

"
Note:

Retail CD-Keys for this game cannot be registered through Steam. If you wish to create a shortcut to this game under your Library, instructions can be found here:"

So the code cant be activated through steam? But the back of the box says that you have to accept the steam agreement?

Here is a link to the page:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2187-RYJN-8061[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't that be false advertising if they refuse to honor retail copies of a Steamworks game?

[quote name='Guerrilla']Wouldn't that be false advertising if they refuse to honor retail copies of a Steamworks game?[/QUOTE]

I dont get it, it has to be a mistake on website. I put a ticket in but it really is strange to have one thing on the site and one thing on the box. Who knows...

[quote name='jcmeadows']

[/QUOTE]

Has to be a misprint. It's a Steamworks title, so Steam is absolutely required. Try putting in the key from the box during the installation. If it means anything, I received my copy from Newegg today and activated it on Steam without an issue.

If the problem with Dead Island keys is as widespread as Mooby suggests, then it would affect copies sold by every retailer, not just Newegg. Definitely something the publisher should address.

Indeed, it's not just Newegg copies. It's a publisher issue as I've heard of numerous people from various outlets have problems with previously redeemed/duplicate keys.

Hm... once I get my copy I will have to see if I have the issue as well. I hate when packages just sit at locations so very close to me but doesn't get delivered :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a copy at Microcenter and it also has a duplicate CD Key issue. Contacted Steam customer service yesterday but I don't expect a response till next week.

Just got my copy in the mail today, and was hit with the duplicate CD key as well. Submitted a ticket, let's see how long this takes.

Damn, i hope mine doesn't have the same fate. If it ever gets here! I've been following the tracking and its been in a few towns over, probably 15 minutes away at a sorting facility since the 27th, the tracking hasn't changed since. i ordered it the 25th. NJ to MN :/

I just got mine less then 10 mins ago. Entered the code and it worked.

So Steam is accepting retail CD key's for Dead Island. Just make steam support claim tickets and prove you have the game case and manual with the CD key.

If they don't do anything i'd just inform kotaku, rock paper shotgun, penny arcade, etc. Not to mention write to Gabe himself.

Want to put up a quick thanks to OP and the person who revived the post. Picked up a copy for me and a friend. Got it today but after reading people with duplicate keys I got worried and opened up one of them and guess what? Duplicate key. I put in a request with steam support and will see what happens next.

I got it on Friday after Steam was closed so I had to wait until Monday to get a reply and resolve the duplicate key. Got it resolved today though.

got an email from newegg said they were shipping out a new copy and to just keep the old one, then got an email from steam with a support ticket to start the process of fixing key, so could end up with 2 copies.

Received my copy today and activated without issue. I'm still worried that the 4 other copies I bought for friends might be duds, but I'll let them know first.

I got a duplicated key :( who do I contact... newegg or steam.... both??

I'm at work, but will try and read all the posts ASAP, but don't have time ATM.

[quote name='teknomedic']I got a duplicated key :( who do I contact... newegg or steam.... both??

I'm at work, but will try and read all the posts ASAP, but don't have time ATM.[/QUOTE]

Might as well try both.

It took 3 days for Steam support to add the game to my library after all the scanning and picture taking.

Like others have said, it would have probably taken a lot sooner to resolve my issue if you write down the support ticket number next to the CD Key and attach it to your help ticket.
Example:
cdkey1.jpg

My key worked fine. I just played through the 360 version from a Gamefly rental and got almost all of the achievements and had a lot of fun with it so looking forward to trying the PC version as well. Anyone have a recommedation as far as kb/mouse vs using a 360 controller?

Got my copy a couple days ago, the key worked fine. Won't start the game until I beat Skyrim, which will probably be another few months from now.

Yeah I'm not screwing with that. Last time I had to mess with Steam support it took nine days, for all the good Steam does their customer support is absolute trash.

I'll wait for a digital sale.

Grabbed 2 copies, one for me and sent one to my brother in Florida. I have the XBOX version so I traded it in for $23 to Amazon. My brother does not play anything but PC. This way we can both have a copy for less than I traded my 360 version in for.

My only gripe with this game is that I noticed it takes 4-5 headshots (if not more - depends on lvl of zombie) to kill a zombie.:roll: Also on a related note, for whatever reason the aim assist in this game, gun-wise, is horrendous. Anybody know how to turn aim-assist off? I didn't see any option for it under the main/in-game menu.

the game is easily worth 10 dollars. I din't care much for the plot but it's sort of like Borderlands RPG elements and open world meets left 4 dead melee. There's hardly any ammo in the game.

Very fun though and it looks great even on a 8800GT. But yeah the gun play isn't very fun at all, melee is where it's at.

Got mine today, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand its a dupe CDKey. Already submitted to support...I bought it knowing that I MAY have this issue so its not a big deal..

bread's done
Back