Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Core Fighters All Characters + All DOA5 & DOA5+ Costumes $19.99 on PSN - Million Fighters Set - 3 Weeks Sale

MPoWeRM3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
PS3 only. Xbox 360 does not have Core Fighters.

Does not included the newly released Marie Rose.

Just to put it in perspective, each character is normally $3.99 which adds to $34.99 for the whole set. All DOA5 & DOA5+ 81 costumes set is normally $39.99. So for $20, you are getting $75 worth of content which is pretty good since DOA5 stuff are never on sale.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/doa5u-million-fighters-set-%28characters-costumes%29/cid=UP4108-NPUB31289_00-B000000000000322

So should i buy Dead or Alive 5 or Ultimate if i'm planning on getting this dlc?
Seems like there is a lot of confusion in this thread. This sale for $19.99 comes with all the characters and a set of costumes for DOA5U Core Fighters. Core FIghters is the free to play version exclusive to Playstation 3. The free to play version is just a price meal package of the retail version of DOA5U. The idea was to open up the user base to the game by letting people buy what they want. You could buy characters separately, costumes separately, etc.

You have two choices. You could just buy this pack and play Core Fighters or buy the pack and the retail version of DOA5U. If you went the Core Fighters route you would have all the characters except Marie Rose and a nice set of costumes to use. The downside is that you won't have story mode, trophy support, and some other items. So if you wanted the story mode you could buy it separately or you could just buy the retail edition of DOA5U and then buy this special pricing package to get the set of costumes at a discounted price. In any case, there is no point in buying the Vanilla version of DOA5. I don't even know if Team Ninja rolls out updates / patches for the Vanilla version anymore.

The reason why this is a "deal" is because it is priced at $19.99 and you get a lot of costumes from Vanilla DOA5 (81 to be exact). Alone that package is priced at $39.99. The retail version of DOA5U comes with some of the costume packs from Vanilla DOA5 but it doesn't include them all. That's why you would have to pay $39.99 to get every single costume from the VANILLA version as well as the vita version.

The thing that people need to understand is that this package doesn't come with any of the paid DOA5U DLC packs. DOA5U comes with exclusive costumes you can unlock in the game by playing various modes (arcade, survival, etc). All of the paid DLC packs need to be bought separately; there is no exception to this. While I've only played Core Fighters a couple of times (since I own DOA5U on 360), I don't know if you can unlock costumes in Core Fighters because it isn't the full retail copy. Someone will have to chime in and confirm whether or not you can unlock the costumes in game after purchasing this package or in general.

I'm under the impression reading the well laid-out responses so far, but since I'm at work and I can't view everything, please let me ask these questions.  Hopefully it helps others too.

As someone who doesn't need story mode (and could buy DOA5 vanilla for it), doesn't need trophies at all, wants all of the "free mode" content and AI and such, generally wants the older costumes for fun and not many of the newer Ultimate ones, and probably won't ever need more than one new DLC character, this sounds like a slamdunk choice (I own no version of DOA5 but still have a few free DLC from that time).  I just have to manually download the 100-ish pieces right?

Would I still get the free costumes from earlier times because I'm getting DOA5: Ultimate through Core Fighters, or would I need a save file first?

Lastly, is there is a list of what costumes are with it?  For example, all cheerleader or just female Santa customes, etc.?

EDIT:  Thanks D.Choy - that helps out too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is the list of the ones didn't come with DOA5U but is in this sale bundle. The ones came with DOA5U + the ones listed below = Complete DOA5/DOA5+ collection. Then you can work on getting Ultimate specific sets. ;)

Player's Swimwear, Hotties Swimwear, Hot Getaway, Uniform, Gym Class, Cheerleader, Christmas Set

I'm under the impression reading the well laid-out responses so far, but since I'm at work and I can't view everything, please let me ask these questions. Hopefully it helps others too.

As someone who doesn't need story mode (and could buy DOA5 vanilla for it), doesn't need trophies at all, wants all of the "free mode" content and AI and such, generally wants the older costumes for fun and not many of the newer Ultimate ones, and probably won't ever need more than one new DLC character, this sounds like a slamdunk choice (I own no version of DOA5 but still have a few free DLC from that time). I just have to manually download the 100-ish pieces right?

Would I still get the free costumes from earlier times because I'm getting DOA5: Ultimate through Core Fighters, or would I need a save file first?

Lastly, is there is a list of what costumes are with it? For example, all cheerleader or just female Santa customes, etc.?

EDIT: Thanks D.Choy - that helps out too!
The original poster said it up above.

You can also find the small screenshots on the dlc section of the website.

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/ultimate/us/home.html#dlc

Scroll all the way down to the botttom and click on the DOA5 costumes section.

rockykai, D&D Arcade rocks. I play Elf all the time. I wish they made the new version so that spells didn't pause the game - I always feel bad that I'm slowing everyone down.

Look at the gallery above. The last entry is the costumes included in this bundle. Honestly, you can play a lot of the game for free. Core Fighters already gives you four permanent characters - a fifth if Jann Lee is still free in that recent promotion - and rotates in two new characters every two weeks. You still have access to everything, like you can play against characters you don't own. It's not like Street Fighter where you have to buy the character to even play against a CPU version of that character. And of course you can play online and do everything that people own the full game can do.

It would be fun if we started a community of CAG DOA5U players. It would be a good way to get people into the franchise and play together.

So... Can anyone confirm that the DOA5U:CF pack with the Characters and the Costumes unlocks the Costumes in both DOA5U:CF & Retail DOA5U? Basically... I want the costumes unlocked for my DOA5U disc... but it would make more sense to download the pack that includes all the Characters for DOA5U:CF too for the same price, just in case I want to boot up a quick online match from my HDD without needing my disc in between time outs from Dark Souls II. ;)

So... Can anyone confirm that the DOA5U:CF pack with the Characters and the Costumes unlocks the Costumes in both DOA5U:CF & Retail DOA5U? Basically... I want the costumes unlocked for my DOA5U disc... but it would make more sense to download the pack that includes all the Characters for DOA5U:CF too for the same price, just in case I want to boot up a quick online match from my HDD without needing my disc in between time outs from Dark Souls II. ;)
It worked for me. You can't use most of the costumes in DOA5+ though. :/

Thanks Vendetta! Just grabbed it... hope it unlocks for me as well.

Really wish that both Sony & MS would get their ish together and show items that were purchased in a Pack as purchased. They shouldn't have all these separate listings with "Warning you might have bought this already as part of a pack!". They should just mark it as PURCHASED. It should be such a simple concept, but then again, how else are people going to accidentally spend more money than they should have!

So if I don't care about costumes, I can go purchase the Ultimate version of the game for $21.99 at GS right now and feel okay with my decision? 

If people are still curious, this is worth it for doa5u users. The only dlc I believe its missing is the Halloween pack.

New users best bet is to get core fighters and this pack, cause the only thing ultimate has is story mode. The online scene is still strong on ps3 and there is a comp scene, but only at smaller tourneys like final round and not EVO.

DOA is one of the best fighters I've ever played and I hope some of you will hop abaoard
I did a rough count just to see how much value we get for $20. This pack has 7 out of the 17 or so available costume packs (I lumped up miscellaneous packs such as "Pop Idols A, B, C" into one pack) As others mention, most (if not all) of these 7 were releases for vanilla DOA5 and DOA5+. Although some of you are saying, like the Christmas Set you only get it for certain characters. They will probably do an "Ultimate" DLC bundle sometime later with all the stuff released for DOA5U.

So if I don't care about costumes, I can go purchase the Ultimate version of the game for $21.99 at GS right now and feel okay with my decision?
Yes because you will get the full game whereas if you went the Core Fighters route you would miss out on story mode as well as trophies. You still unlock costumes in game but you won't have every single costume from DOA5 Vanilla

I checked out the Facebook page and there is indeed a post pointing out that the $19.99 price is a mistake and that it'll be changed to $29.99 soon.
Like this post said, There is a pricing error on the Million Fighters Set. So if you are interested, jump on the boat before it goes to $29.99.

Yep. I'm with others. I'd like to have everything related to this game, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Sounds like this $19.99 download doesn't do that.

I'll wait.

I've been waiting for a while for everything to go down. This price drop and sale is a start but I have seen posts that our best hope is for a ps4/xb1 ultimate(something) edition.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Complete DOA5 Costumes - 19.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Ultimate Sexy Costumes- 14.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - School Uniform Pack-12.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Legacy Costume Set-9.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Complete Sports Gear Costume Set-16.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Tropical Sexy Costume Set-14.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Private Paradise Set-24.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Pop Idol Costume Set-14.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Complete Casual Collection Vol. 1-10.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Complete Casual Collection Vol. 2-10.99

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - Trick-or-Treat Halloween CostumeSet-24.99

DOA5U Marie Rose Character + Debut Costume Set-12.99

Total: 189.88

I think this is the best price method via all packs, but let me know if i am wrong.

Edit: Missed Halloween pack

I would never spend that much money on a game, albeit a decent fighting one. So just to clarify and make it easier for everybody, this package is only good if you just want to fight tirelessly, but if you want the more well rounded edition then get DOA5U?
I have have bought all the packages listed except the gravure videos. I can just load up my DOA Xtreme games or Youtube if I wanted to l look at vidoes of DOA girls. ;) To be honest, only real fans would pay for these DLCs and Tecmo Koie knows it. They are total rip off for casual players. Since I'm a fan since DOA2, I caved in. It's really no difference than people paying thousands for a ball game.

Yes because you will get the full game whereas if you went the Core Fighters route you would miss out on story mode as well as trophies. You still unlock costumes in game but you won't have every single costume from DOA5 Vanilla
Thanks much!

Well, you'll still be missing the new for-pay DLC character.

...but otherwise yes.

I have have bought all the packages listed except the gravure videos. I can just load up my DOA Xtreme games or Youtube if I wanted to l look at vidoes of DOA girls. ;) To be honest, only real fans would pay for these DLCs and Tecmo Koie knows it. They are total rip off for casual players. Since I'm a fan since DOA2, I caved in. It's really no difference than people paying thousands for a ball game.
I've been a fan since DOA2, as well (DOA2 Hardcore is the game that got me into fighting games)—I even bought the DOA5 Vanilla CE—but I can't deal with this crap. Too many broken promises, too many expectations flouted after games like DOAD and the original DOA Ultimate, but mostly just too damn expensive.

'course, I can't understand people who would pay thousands to watch a single ball game, either.

Well, you'll still be missing the new for-pay DLC character.

...but otherwise yes.

I've been a fan since DOA2, as well (DOA2 Hardcore is the game that got me into fighting games)—I even bought the DOA5 Vanilla CE—but I can't deal with this crap. Too many broken promises, too many expectations flouted after games like DOAD and the original DOA Ultimate, but mostly just too damn expensive.

'course, I can't understand people who would pay thousands to watch a single ball game, either.
The issue is that costumes do not enhance your experience with DOA. Much like all of you guys I've been a fan of DOA for awhile now and own every Team Ninja title since DOA3 (DOA:Ultimate, DOA4, DOAXBV, DOAX2, Ninja Gaiden 1-3, Razor's Edge, DOA5, Plus, Ultimate, Yaiba).

I've bought a fair share of the costumes. They only reason I bought a lot of them was one because I am a huge fan and two I got in during the Xbox glitch where they were selling XBL points for 1/3 the cost. If I didn't have that discount I would have been more selective of the packs I bought. At the end of the day I don't mind spending like 10 bucks here and then a month later spend another 10. If you look at it as buying all the packs at once it's crazy expensive. If you buy them in pieces it doesn't seem like such a jump.

I don't know what promises they have broken to you though. Both DOA5 and Ultimate had a handful of costumes that you could unlock in game. They also continue to support Ultimate with new characters with Marie Rose just launching and Phase 4 and Tengu coming next. I mean costumes are great and all but they don't enhance gameplay by any means. Why not just buy costumes for the character you main? It's a lot more reasonable that way.

A part of me wants to get this since it's a pricing error and I like fighting games. A part of me wants to pass since most of the stuff is available in the retail Ultimate version, I already have many other fighting games, and I've never played a DOA game before.

CAG life is hard.

The issue is that costumes do not enhance your experience with DOA. Much like all of you guys I've been a fan of DOA for awhile now and own every Team Ninja title since DOA3 (DOA:Ultimate, DOA4, DOAXBV, DOAX2, Ninja Gaiden 1-3, Razor's Edge, DOA5, Plus, Ultimate, Yaiba).

I've bought a fair share of the costumes. They only reason I bought a lot of them was one because I am a huge fan and two I got in during the Xbox glitch where they were selling XBL points for 1/3 the cost. If I didn't have that discount I would have been more selective of the packs I bought. At the end of the day I don't mind spending like 10 bucks here and then a month later spend another 10. If you look at it as buying all the packs at once it's crazy expensive. If you buy them in pieces it doesn't seem like such a jump.

I don't know what promises they have broken to you though. Both DOA5 and Ultimate had a handful of costumes that you could unlock in game. They also continue to support Ultimate with new characters with Marie Rose just launching and Phase 4 and Tengu coming next. I mean costumes are great and all but they don't enhance gameplay by any means. Why not just buy costumes for the character you main? It's a lot more reasonable that way.
It's not the costumes that are breaking promises, those are more the flouted expectations I mentioned: DOAD got free DLC costumes, DOAU had up to 20 costumes that came on the disc plus Hitomi as a bonus character if you owned DOA3, and DOA5 had like, what, three unlockable costumes per character and then $1.99 apiece (or a minor discount for the packs) for the hundreds that have come out since? I get it, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

The promise I was mostly referring to was how Yosuke Hayashi did an interview back when DOA5 released, not long after Harada from Bamco had done one about DLC characters in Tekken, and in it he said that he believed that not only was charging for DLC characters wrong, but that DLC characters were the wrong approach for fighting games, blah, blah, blah. Now they're turning around and releasing Marie Rose, Phase 4, and have said that there are other unannounced characters that they'll be releasing, all as paid DLC for DOA5U. Again, not a huge deal, and the original interview was a bit BS to begin with, but it really just doesn't sit right.

It really is mostly the expense, but combined with those things and how confusing they make all of this to the consumer, it just gets to me. I can't justify buying into it, especially knowing that a fourth edition that includes at least a significant portion of the DLC may be announced any time. I've considered, like you mentioned, using cheap/free funny monies to get my main's costumes, but I just keep running into that wall.

Although this game has the most expensive DLCs in America, I heard Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate that comes with 150+ characters, also by Tecmo Koei, is even wrose overseas.

If memory serves me right, one of the PS3 Idolm@ster games has got the most expensive DLC collection right now, at around USD900 in Japan, so this is pretty tame in comparison; but learning it's the worst in America has got me pretty nervous about the mindset Tecmo Koei is in right now.

Damn this is confusing, but thanks to everyone who posted explanations.

Just want to add that I bought DOA5U from Fred Meyers for $19.99 last week (ps3), could be YMMV. 

I haven't opened it yet so I gotta make a decision here, just a casual fan so I'm lenient towards keeping the disc. 

DOA5 is gimped, but I think for the most part DOA5U is what you would get normally in a DOA game back in the day. Tho they did save the bikinis and the more fan service costumes for DLC.

I'm in the same boat like many other CAGs though, just waiting to see if they'll release another version of the game with all the extra DLC in it.

Thanks everyone!

That really did confuse me quite a few times, but I know (and re-read since the answer was right in the post LOL) what this is now. This is far better than I thought it was when I first asked and Core Fighters is downloading now. :)

Even if there is another version down the road, there's no way I'm going to want to play every character in DOA5U as is so this is probably the best. I just hope that this is the most confusing Tecmo Koei ever gets with DLC again.

rockykai, D&D Arcade rocks. I play Elf all the time. I wish they made the new version so that spells didn't pause the game - I always feel bad that I'm slowing everyone down.
I also think D&D Arcade rocks. I should have used Elf (who I play far more than anyone else too) as an avatar a long time ago. Even though the new version doesn't have an option for that, they are both so fun anyway especially since I learned about Tower through the arcades.

I haven't gotten a chance to play Dragon's Crown yet...but anyway, thanks again!

It's not the costumes that are breaking promises, those are more the flouted expectations I mentioned: DOAD got free DLC costumes, DOAU had up to 20 costumes that came on the disc plus Hitomi as a bonus character if you owned DOA3, and DOA5 had like, what, three unlockable costumes per character and then $1.99 apiece (or a minor discount for the packs) for the hundreds that have come out since? I get it, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

The promise I was mostly referring to was how Yosuke Hayashi did an interview back when DOA5 released, not long after Harada from Bamco had done one about DLC characters in Tekken, and in it he said that he believed that not only was charging for DLC characters wrong, but that DLC characters were the wrong approach for fighting games, blah, blah, blah. Now they're turning around and releasing Marie Rose, Phase 4, and have said that there are other unannounced characters that they'll be releasing, all as paid DLC for DOA5U. Again, not a huge deal, and the original interview was a bit BS to begin with, but it really just doesn't sit right.

It really is mostly the expense, but combined with those things and how confusing they make all of this to the consumer, it just gets to me. I can't justify buying into it, especially knowing that a fourth edition that includes at least a significant portion of the DLC may be announced any time. I've considered, like you mentioned, using cheap/free funny monies to get my main's costumes, but I just keep running into that wall.
Very valid points. If you look back you could easily consider vanilla DOA5 as a gimped version. It didn't have a wide assortment of costumes and they left out some characters like Leon and Ein. With that being said I am glad they are still constantly updating Dead or Alive. I was totally satisfied with DOA5 when it came out and was even more pleased when they released DOA5U. It definitely sucks having to shell out more money for an enhanced version but that's how the fighting game community works now (Street Fighter, Persona, etc).

At the end of the day I think I will always support the DOA franchise because it's always been my favorite fighting game series. Honestly I wouldn't mind buying a next gen port if they ever decided to do it. I really hope they do because both the PS4 and the Xbox One lack any real fighters other than Killer Instinct which I just couldn't get into.

DOA DLC is like a Kafka novel, I appreciate the folks in here trying to explain it. I already own DOA5U so I was just hoping to get some costumes on the super cheap. Seems like that time has not come yet.

I'm a bit more Xtreme than you. Bought everything you bought and all available costumes for DOA5U. Also own the game on both consoles. :lol: All the DLCs are on PS3 though because I'm still hoping for a Vita edition with crossbuy DLCs like the vanilla.

It would be fun if we started a community of CAG DOA5U players. It would be a good way to get people into the franchise and play together.
I just picked up DoA5U from Best Buy used for less than $15 with GCU. Pretty good. I'd be down to join a group of CAGs on there.

If memory serves me right, one of the PS3 Idolm@ster games has got the most expensive DLC collection right now, at around USD900 in Japan, so this is pretty tame in comparison; but learning it's the worst in America has got me pretty nervous about the mindset Tecmo Koei is in right now.
Don't be.

It's simply how it is in Japan. The companies finally realized what anime companies have been doing for the last decade. "Provide any small amount of content for the hardcore fans, and they WILL buy it." even if they know they do not need it or will not ad to the experience.

Thats why games like this, Dynasty Warriors, Hyperdimension, Blazblue ect. all have super frivilous dlc like system voices, a horde of costumes/colors and more because they know a few people will drop coin on it. Feel like most people see a whole dlc list and freak out because they are in the mindset to get everything and not the thing they want the most. Like in DoA, theres no reason to buy the costumes for characters you do not use, same with other games. Thats also why they bundle it so you dont have a choice haha. They know people only want stuff for one character, but instead of selling it single they pop in 3 other characters they know are very different to get those $$$.

Sorry for the DOA 5 for dummies question, but which option gives me the most customs.

DOA5U Million Fighters Set (Characters + Costumes) Download for Core Fighter or DOA5U Retail Disk

Can you unlock the unlockable costumes in Core Fighters? I think I read somewhere that you can't.

So I have DOA5U on disc. Read most of the thread, but still a little unclear (not surprising I guess). To clarify:

• This pack adds most costumes that were released as DLC for DOA5 vanilla and DOA5+, that aren't on the DOA5U disc, but not all?
  • It does not add any costumes released as DLC for DOA5U (that weren't originally released for DOA5 vanilla or DOA5+)?
I don't really care about the "Core Fighters characters" side of things, as I already have the DOA5U disc.

So I have DOA5U on disc. Read most of the thread, but still a little unclear (not surprising I guess). To clarify:

• This pack adds most costumes that were released as DLC for DOA5 vanilla and DOA5+, that aren't on the DOA5U disc, but not all?
  • It does not add any costumes released as DLC for DOA5U (that weren't originally released for DOA5 vanilla or DOA5+)?
I don't really care about the "Core Fighters characters" side of things, as I already have the DOA5U disc.
That is what I concluded too. That this "ultimate figther" DLC bundle contains most of the DLC that was released for vanilla and DOA5+. But does not contain any of the newer DLC that came out just for DOA5U. I am on the fence about getting this pack.

For DOA5U owners, there is also the Complete DOA5 Costumes pack for the same $20 price, same 81 costumes included. Lists at 100KB, so you wouldn't have to deal with 100+ individual downloads, apparently. You don't get the characters for Core Fighters, but don't really need them with the disc anyway.

Can you unlock the unlockable costumes in Core Fighters? I think I read somewhere that you can't.
Pretty sure you can't unlock the ultimate costumes unless you have the full retail game.
Anything you can unlock in the full game you can unlock in Core Fighters including costumes, stages, and titles. Think of Core Fighters as the full game except with much more limited characters.

I'm pretty sure it includes ALL costumes from Vanilla DOA5 and DOA5+. When you purchase it says it includes all 81 costumes from the past games. As long as you have the retail copy of DOA5U you will be able to unlock the other costumes that were specific to the disc based version of the game (playing arcade, survival, etc).

You are correct. The pack doesn't include DOA5U DLC packs since the whole point of this DLC was to give the vanilla costumes and the characters to Core Fighters.

Decided to buy this for $20 since it's an apparent pricing mistake.  I'll pretty much have the full digital version (minus story mode & trophies) without needing a disc, plus all the costumes from the original and plus.  The costumes alone make this worthwhile for me.  And if I eventually get the disc versions for ps3 and vita, I can use the additional costumes that aren't originally included.  And I will hold off to see if they bundle all the ultimate dlc into one package, or release a more complete version on next generation systems.

Tell me about it. I have to download each one and then install it? One of the biggest issues I had with PSN versus XBL...
lol. On the bright side, you'll find more online players on PSN in this game than on 360. i do agree XBL is much better as a wholely integrated network whereas PSN is more like its pieced together with duct tape. Example, on-the-fly achievement sync vs time consuming manual trophy sync. Everything is download, install, then play on PSN where XBL is just download and play.

bread's done
Back