(DEAD) Resident Evil 5 Gold (PS3) $29.99 @ Best Buy (back-ordered)

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
9/26 update: Deal is now DEAD

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition (PS3) is $29.99 at Best Buy (currently backordered 1-2 weeks online) Best Buy's sale is both online and in store and should be good up through at least Saturday (9/25).

EDIT: Amazon just got re-stocked, but is currently listed as $39.96. We'll see if they'll price-match again. I encourage you all to tell them about the lower price, although I haven't been able to get them to accept BestBuy's product page as a valid URL.

Reviews can be found at Wired and IGN. The Wired article from the TGS says that the US version won't be patched until November, but that is wrong (patch for Move support for existing Gold Editions is already out). Credit to Decker for finding the articles.

I know this has been mentioned in several other threads, but I'm making a new thread for those people who don't know about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
very tempting....does anyone know if target will price match? if yes, what do I need to show them? I can't seem to find an ad....only reason I ask is because I have a target gift card

[quote name='drunkenxsouljah']very tempting....does anyone know if target will price match? if yes, what do I need to show them? I can't seem to find an ad....only reason I ask is because I have a target gift card[/QUOTE]

Target will definitely price match the Best Buy ad. I would use a physical copy from your local Sunday paper. Doubt they would take an internet copy (or price match Amazon). That's more of a YMMV situation. Targets around here are sticklers.

Okay I found best buy ad and also found toys r us ad they have buy 1 get 1 40% all ps3 games will target price match both? In other words will they give me re5 for 30 and I can get another 30 dollar game 40% off?

[quote name='drunkenxsouljah']Okay I found best buy ad and also found toys r us ad they have buy 1 get 1 40% all ps3 games will target price match both? In other words will they give me re5 for 30 and I can get another 30 dollar game 40% off?[/QUOTE]
Truly doubtful. The ones around me will do one or the other, never both. I imagine most places would be like that.

Dang, I still want this game, but I'm not sure which platform to buy it for. Sort of seems like I'm standardizing on Xbox, but it's "gold" version really isn't, and my sort-of girlfriend has it for Playstation.

[quote name='drunkenxsouljah']Okay I found best buy ad and also found toys r us ad they have buy 1 get 1 40% all ps3 games will target price match both? In other words will they give me re5 for 30 and I can get another 30 dollar game 40% off?[/QUOTE]

I've tried in the past and was told that they would only honor specific prices. You may have better luck.

[quote name='Thrinn']Face-off between the 360 and PS3 ports

Long story short, the 360 looks a little better but has some nasty screen tearing.[/QUOTE]

Quoted from the article: "while PS3 owners still get a decent enough version, it's the Xbox 360 rendition that is clearly the more attractive, solid and more playable game." Seems the screen tear is most evident in the cinematic movies, and the Xbox plays better and smoother otherwise. That said, if you're interested in Move, PS3 is clearly the way to go.

Anyone else pick this up from bestbuy recently with the new Move logo on it? Just got my copy from bestbuy and on thing I noticed is the shrinkwrap is different then most games. Not sure if this is how this was packaged or my copy was previously opened and being tried to sell as new? I haven't opened it yet, it has the shrinkwrap like a strategy guide would. Not like a game or at least no game I've bought was wrapped like this. Sadly they only had one copy left so I couldn't check to see if they were all like that or different.

[quote name='timobkg']Quoted from the article: "while PS3 owners still get a decent enough version, it's the Xbox 360 rendition that is clearly the more attractive, solid and more playable game." Seems the screen tear is most evident in the cinematic movies, and the Xbox plays better and smoother otherwise. That said, if you're interested in Move, PS3 is clearly the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Additionally, the DLC content isn't actually on the disc of the 360 version, but instead comes in the form of voucher codes. That was the deal-breaker for me.

Is the "Gold" version compatible with the "regular" version for multiplayer on Playstation? Maybe I should buy it but she's got the regular version, and I want Gold, obviously.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is the "Gold" version compatible with the "regular" version for multiplayer on Playstation? Maybe I should buy it but she's got the regular version, and I want Gold, obviously.[/QUOTE]

Yup!

[quote name='Ultragamer']Anyone else pick this up from bestbuy recently with the new Move logo on it? Just got my copy from bestbuy and on thing I noticed is the shrinkwrap is different then most games. Not sure if this is how this was packaged or my copy was previously opened and being tried to sell as new? I haven't opened it yet, it has the shrinkwrap like a strategy guide would. Not like a game or at least no game I've bought was wrapped like this. Sadly they only had one copy left so I couldn't check to see if they were all like that or different.[/QUOTE]
I just bought one too anf it has the Move logo on both the carton cover and the inside paper cover, perhaps these are new copies made for the Move launch and they are already updated with the Move patch so we don't have to download it...
I haven't opened my yet but the shrinkwrap is the same type you described, I've seen those used before in new games so I think they should be new copies

[quote name='teddybass']I just bought one too anf it has the Move logo on both the carton cover and the inside paper cover, perhaps these are new copies made for the Move launch and they are already updated with the Move patch so we don't have to download it...
I haven't opened my yet but the shrinkwrap is the same type you described, I've seen those used before in new games so I think they should be new copies[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cRodz']my copy was packaged the same.

i like the gold coat that the case slips on. it is a nice addition[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, was just making sure that it was normal for everyone else as well.

hmm are the move logos stickers, and or removable? They are extremely ugly... yea any pictures? I wont eb able to go out there for a few days...

[quote name='Ultragamer']It isn't a sticker, its a new cover for the game. Wish it was because I don't like the way it looks either.[/QUOTE]

CRAP, thats garbage... Im really rethinking about getting it now because of this... It ruins the whole resident evil package in my opinion. Will I ever get this game?

[quote name='TPerryoo7']CRAP, thats garbage... Im really rethinking about getting it now because of this... It ruins the whole resident evil package in my opinion. Will I ever get this game?[/QUOTE]

If I'm understanding right, you want RE5 just without the blue Move rubbish? Just price match BB at Target like I did. Got the original nice shiny slipcover too. Walmart carries it too I think. Actually, I have yet to see a copy of RE5 with the Move logo since BB was completely out.

[quote name='Trace17']If I'm understanding right, you want RE5 just without the blue Move rubbish? Just price match BB at Target like I did. Got the original nice shiny slipcover too. Walmart carries it too I think. Actually, I have yet to see a copy of RE5 with the Move logo since BB was completely out.[/QUOTE]

Hmm good idea might go PM this with Sears or someplace for %10 off =D Save the tax hehe.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']i just bought this from BB and i want my money back after playing this garbage for 2 hours with move and ds3.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, whats the problem?

[quote name='Trace17']If I'm understanding right, you want RE5 just without the blue Move rubbish? Just price match BB at Target like I did. Got the original nice shiny slipcover too. Walmart carries it too I think. Actually, I have yet to see a copy of RE5 with the Move logo since BB was completely out.[/QUOTE]
Took a scan of the slipcover and game with the move logo. Seriously thinking of doing a PM at target now, I saw it earlier when I checked clearance without this and it looked much nicer in my opinion.

RE5GoldMove.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/the_unkown_invader/RE5GoldMove.jpg

I know the slipcover image isn't the best, but its what I could get with my scanner.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Took a scan of the slipcover and game with the move logo. Seriously thinking of doing a PM at target now, I saw it earlier when I checked clearance without this and it looked much nicer in my opinion.

I know the slipcover image isn't the best, but its what I could get with my scanner.[/QUOTE]
Oh fuck! That was ugly as hell. Uglier than a red Greatest Hits banner. The blue thing doesn't even blend with the rest of the cover.

Now, does this new one have the same SKU/UPC as the old one?

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']That sticker peels off with the plastic right?[/QUOTE]
If I read the posts correctly, It is NOT a sticker. It is part of the cover. Printed on.

[quote name='eau']Oh fuck! That was ugly as hell. Uglier than a red Greatest Hits banner.

Now, does this new one have the same SKU/UPC as the old one?[/QUOTE]

It has the same UPC from what a google search pulled up.

UPC on the move one is 0-13388-34033-0

I wonder if the disc is actually remastered with the move update preloaded? Or is it just the old disc requiring an online update?

I heard that there's a Move version where you don't need to update.

But it's only coming to Europe I think. No news if we gonna have one for NA. I am hoping the one on BB has the patch already on the disc. Anyone can verify?

Just wondering why every one cares so much about a patched game vs a download patch. Yes the PSN downloads patches slowly, but it's not THAT big a deal, is it?

[quote name='Decker']Just wondering why every one cares so much about a patched game vs a download patch. Yes the PSN downloads patches slowly, but it's not THAT big a deal, is it?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes patches can be big and people need to save their HD space for other stuff.

Damn, all my BB's only have the Move labeled copy. Pretty surprising since I was sure a few would have old stock left. Picked one up for $20 thanks to a 'Demon's Souls coupon'. ;)

[quote name='frpilot']so the move label copies have the move patch on disc?

afaik, only the xbox gold edition has a cardboard slipcover.[/QUOTE]

No, the PS3 version has a gold slipcover as well.

man this sucks, that art work is atrocious! and the fact that it's on the spine too! may really need to hunt this down (regular copy) but someone has to confirm if the patch is on disc or not..

then which version do I have? I didn't removed the shrinkage wrap yet but the move label is not on the spine and I can take the move label sticker off the front of the wrap and there is nothing that says move on the actual case BUT the game didn't have a slip cover

[quote name='drunkenxsouljah']then which version do I have? I didn't removed the shrinkage wrap yet but the move label is not on the spine and I can take the move label sticker off the front of the wrap and there is nothing that says move on the actual case BUT the game didn't have a slip cover[/QUOTE]

my guess is a Sony rep just applied a sticker on the ones that Target had. This isn't uncommon for PS2 and PS3 games to get this treatment when they go Greatest Hits..seen it all the time. That's what shocked me about the pics and seeing it on the spine..it's the real deal that way..

interesting.....btw I do not have a greatest hits version it is regular white case, so I have the original with some sticker tagged on it and they even took away the slip cover....sweet lol really others might not care but if I am getting the original I would've liked the slip cover as well..... freakin target and sony

It appears Amazon has more RE 5 Gold (PS3) back in stock, but it's now listed as $39.96. We'll see if Amazon price matches down to $29.99 or not.

EDIT: Amazon's stupid "tell us about a lower price" doesn't think the BestBuy product page for RE5 Gold is a valid address. But a generic www.bestbuy.com address works. Also, ordering online from BestBuy is currently backordered for 1-2 weeks.

Ahhh I have the regular edition, still unopened..but I want the gold! I guess I'll play the waiting game to see if it hits the $20 mark. It would probably sit around for months before I even opened it :)

Grabbed the last non-Move labeled one at my Best Buy. It was stuck behind the others and I almost missed it. Glad I looked.
Never owned the vanilla version so $30 was about right to me. Thanks OP.

Here's the original if anybody cares:

391719990_o.jpg

391720004_o.jpg

The part in the upper right was a GS sticker that I removed. This is the old version FYI.

another mentioning note is that the Move sticker edition has the cheap plastic wrap around the game similiar to the bioshocks.

The regular gold version has the Y-Folds.

bread's done
Back