(Deal Dead, Discussion Dying) Free PSP Games @ EB (w/select PS2/XBX/GC Trade-ins)

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Update: 4/16/05

Ths deal is now dead.
Go home... the party is over.

What's that? You wanna be the weird guy that hangs out after the party to talk about how cool the party was even though you were also the guy everyone at the party was trying to get away from?

Fine.... We'll say open for ya... BUT NO STICKY FOR YOU!

Thanks to everyone.... and don't forget.... now that you've gotten an entire library of PSP games for damn near free... don't forget to at least say hi to your DS once in a while.....

Your DS misses you....

Toodles!

UPDATE 4/11/05: As some of you may know... this deal advertised as "3 Trades for 1 PSP Game" is over as of 4/10. However, EBGames.com indicates that the deal is still fresh until the 15th, but you must trade in 6 for 2 games in one transaction in order for it to work.

Under In-Store Promotions, EBGames.com reads:
"Free select PSP title with PS2/XB/GC game trade-in (pre-purchase) Active: Now - 4/15/2005
Trade-in 6 qualifying pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $79.98 towards the pre-purchase of 2 of the following titles: GRETZKY NHL HOCKEY PSP or TWISTED METAL: HEAD ON PSP or WORLD TOUR SOCCER PSP or ATV OFFRD FURY BLAZIN TRLS PSP or APE ESCAPE PSP or NBA PSP or WIPEOUT PURE PSP or MLB PSP. Game boxes and instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May be combined with other EB Promotions. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Not valid on hardware. See sales associate for complete details. Customer may be responsible for sales tax."

Some stores may or may not honor this promo, and some stores may still let you only trade in 3 for 1. Regardless, we'll keep this thread stickied until the 16th, then officially kill it 14 days after the 15th, for all you guys trying to exchange your items obtained on the 15th. In any case, the trade-in deal is YMMV, and exchanging the PSP games is even more YMMV.

Good luck to all of you on the final days of what is sure to be the most memorable, and profitable, trade-in deal of 2005!

[quote name='joystickz']

Here's the scoop.

EBGames In Store is having an in-store promotion on the preorder/purchase of PSP games that could potentially make your initial launch library damn near free.

Here's the deal......

ebpspfree6ss.jpg

With this deal, gamers need only trade in THREE games not on THIS LIST to receive one of the EIGHT games shown above.

gretzkyfree3al.jpg

For those of you who can put two and two together, understand that when you get the game from EB it bumps the value of each game that might be normally traded in for 50 cents, up to a third of the price of any of those 39.99 games.

Then, with your sealed game in hand, and receipt (or better, gift receipt) for said game, you are not prohibited from later exchanging it for store credit for the full $40 value of the game.

In essence, the deal isn't "just for those 8 PSP games" because you can still exchange any one of them within 14 days of purchase for full credit.

Better yet... get your credit back on a gift card (make sure it has scratch off pin numbers) and use it online.

Above deal ends April 10th.

Sound easy?
Good.

NOTE: Though this isnt a YMMV deal, the clerks all over don't seem to be too refreshed on it... so make sure you're cool with the employees enough to share some patience until they work it out in the computer.[/QUOTE]

I've done this twice in the last two days.

Round 1 (out of my personal collection)
Timesplitters 2 (GC)
Super Monkey Ball (GC)
Namco Musuem (GC)

Round 2 (Blockbuster B2G1 sale)
Hitman: Contracts (9.99)
Mafia (9.99) - no instructions
Front Mission 4 (FREE) - no instructions

I called my EB and asked if they took games w/o manuals and he said yes. When I brought the games in, he didn't even open them. I used old Blockbuster credit to finance Round 2...I want to do it one more time using cheap games from EB, Gamestop or Best Buy....we'll see.

I wanted to say thanks once again guys, I picked up my 2 Doom 3 LCEs, and kept one sealed. Also they let me take their display. AND since I got 2, I qualify for that $15 mail in rebate, in which I only need to send in the form and reciept. That makes me happy. I need to pick up more Outlaw Golf Xmas now for some more games.

twen-doom3yay.jpg

[quote name='tidwell']I've done this twice in the last two days.

Round 1 (out of my personal collection)
Timesplitters 2 (GC)
Super Monkey Ball (GC)
Namco Musuem (GC)

Round 2 (Blockbuster B2G1 sale)
Hitman: Contracts (9.99)
Mafia (9.99) - no instructions
Front Mission 4 (FREE) - no instructions

I called my EB and asked if they took games w/o manuals and he said yes. When I brought the games in, he didn't even open them. I used old Blockbuster credit to finance Round 2...I want to do it one more time using cheap games from EB, Gamestop or Best Buy....we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Wow--so is this the first confirmation of PS2-- Mafia ringing up as PO in the system?!

If so, this is pretty abundant everywhere, please let us know more.

[quote name='JDMxB']Wow--so is this the first confirmation of PS2-- Mafia ringing up as PO in the system?!

If so, this is pretty abundant everywhere, please let us know more.[/QUOTE]

Mafia ps2 worked for me as well. Its not on the list either.

[quote name='Escobar4Life']Sure I'll let everyone know. I mean, I come here and see cheapassgamers posting what they did and that helps me and many others. I haven't had the chance to contribute to CAG community and I will today.

Before I go to BB will there be a problem with using the coupon? I mean, I thought coupons had different barcodes and stuff. And will there be a problem using more than 1 coupon at a time (on seperate games ofcourse).[/QUOTE]

I just did my 2nd set of trade in for a PSP game earlier.

At Best Buy, the dude was being "up-tight" on the whole printed coupon thing, and he was reading the fine print. He pointed out that it was only 1 per customer, and I had to take out one game in this purchase (in other words, he didn't let me use 2 seperate coupons for 2 seperate games, so I only did Metal Arms first. Then I walked out the sliding doors, than back in. The 2nd game for me was Cabelas. Total for both games came out to be $10.82 with the coupons. If the coupons didn't work, I would've probably just paid an extra dollar for either Xbox Exhibition 5 or 6 (priced $5.99 regularly), which I think isn't excluded, but I'll have to make sure. My Best Buy only has a couple $10 elgible PS2 games, the $9.99 - $19.99 bin has mostly full priced hits.

Yeah, I just got back from Best Buy. I was afraid the printed coupon wasn't going to work. But it did. I picked up Metal Arms: Glitch in the System for a total of $5.40

On Wednesday I'm gonna pick up 2 or 3 copies of Metal Arms. lol. I would get them today but I didn't have extra coupons because my damn printer's ink ran out!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll print about 6 coupons at school. Also Cabelas works right? And Conflict Desert Storm works right? That's what I heard from people here. But on the EB games list it has Conflict Desert Storm but its for the Xbox version.

hmm...I think I'll just call in sick tomorrow at work. I mean, I'll get more 'profit' from this EB deal than work. lol.

So far I have enough games to trade in for 3 PSP games. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have enough for about 4 or 5!!!

[quote name='GreySpear']When I went in to trade in today, Conflict: Desert Storm rang up as POX. Gonna try again at another EB tmr...[/QUOTE]

XBOX or PS2?

Also, what must one do to get the Best Buy coupon to work for 9.99 games. I tried on like Friday and the coupon rang up as 0.00 and nothing happened. The cashier told me it wasn't good for Sale Prices on games.

[quote name='twen']I wanted to say thanks once again guys, I picked up my 2 Doom 3 LCEs, and kept one sealed. Also they let me take their display. AND since I got 2, I qualify for that $15 mail in rebate, in which I only need to send in the form and reciept. That makes me happy. I need to pick up more Outlaw Golf Xmas now for some more games.

twen-doom3yay.jpg
[/QUOTE]

you make me so proud.....
*tears of joy*

......5 more days......

I was skeptical about MAFIA for PS2 (because Blockbuster has about 50 of them), but it wasn't on the list.
As I said, no instructions either. Sweet deal.
I just have to get some of those 4.99 games (Cubix?)...

[quote name='FFMooglestar']XBOX or PS2?

Also, what must one do to get the Best Buy coupon to work for 9.99 games. I tried on like Friday and the coupon rang up as 0.00 and nothing happened. The cashier told me it wasn't good for Sale Prices on games.[/QUOTE]

Sry it was for the XBox...I just gave my cupon the cashier, he scanned it and took $5 off, I did it for Bad Boys and Metal Arms...

[quote name='GreySpear']Sry it was for the XBox...I just gave my cupon the cashier, he scanned it and took $5 off, I did it for Bad Boys and Metal Arms...[/QUOTE]

XBOX Version is on the POX list.

PS2 Version is not.

:( I drove all the way there, then I'm like, Hi I wanna sell my game, and she's like, ok we give store credit only. Then I handed it to her and she looked inside and I was afraid because no manual, but she just said sorry we don't take blockbuster preowned games, and I'm like wtf?! But I payed for it and she's like sorry but no. So I left. Some body owes my mother gas money.... And I think I'll try the Best Buy thing... Ugamer are there any games left at ours?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I was talking to a Blockbuster manager today and was told that the buy two get one free sale (on games - the DVD one doesn't end until July) ends TOMORROW, April 5th. So anyone who still wants to get in on it should do so immediately! Also of note - a few days ago I picked up 2 copies of Freestyle Street Soccer with another game (Cubix) in the buy-2-get-1 deal. After having my copies of Freestyle rejected by multiple FYEs and Warehouses, I took them back to Blockbuster today. To my surprise, I got a full $4.99 credit back for each of them, despite the fact that one of them was the "free" game in the deal. It's pretty shady, but it seems like this could be pretty heavily exploited if it's true of all Blockbusters!

Also, I reluctantly did my first EB return of 3 PSP games today after trading in for a grand total of 10 of them to date. I used gift receipts and had no problem at all, and much to my surprise the very nice and helpful cashier (this was in Alderwood Mall, Lynnwood, WA for anyone curious) gave me almost $150 in CASH for them. Now that I would've never expected! He claimed he had to give me cash, not store credit, because it's how the games were purchased! Unbelievable. While I was there, I picked up a new Pulse Racer for Xbox, and should note that it actually rang up as $2.99, not $4.99 like others have reported. In other words, it could very well be the next 9 More Holes in terms of sheer dollar value.

Tomorrow, it's time to try the ATV pre-order trick. Thanks for all the tips and help, this thread is one of the best ever. Also, hello to Brett (I think that was your name?) from the Seattle/Northgate EB - the first fellow cheapass I've ever run into, mid-transaction, pulling the same tricks as me, in a game store. If you're reading this, send me an IM and we can exchange tips/stories!

[quote name='scummo']I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I was talking to a Blockbuster manager today and was told that the buy two get one free sale (on games - the DVD one doesn't end until July) ends TOMORROW, April 5th. So anyone who still wants to get in on it should do so immediately! Also of note - a few days ago I picked up 2 copies of Freestyle Street Soccer with another game (Cubix) in the buy-2-get-1 deal. After having my copies of Freestyle rejected by multiple FYEs and Warehouses, I took them back to Blockbuster today. To my surprise, I got a full $4.99 credit back for each of them, despite the fact that one of them was the "free" game in the deal. It's pretty shady, but it seems like this could be pretty heavily exploited if it's true of all Blockbusters![/QUOTE]

This happened to my friend today actually. We picked up some games for the deal but I gave him some pox games by accident (I didn't finish printing out the xbox pox list). So anyways, we went back and returned the stuff we got. It was a different guy and he gave us back $32.46 in credit, rather than the $21.63 that we paid for them.

This happen once before to me too. With the same deal some time ago. I picked up some games with the deal and when I opened one of them it wasn't the correct game inside. So instead of a prorated amount for the game back, I got a full refund on the game, even though I used the buy 2 get 1 free deal.

I wouldn't purposely do this though.

Also I'm glad we went back to blockbuster...Marvel vs. Capcom for PS2 was sitting there someone just traded in...and I snagged it for $16.99 (perfect disc, nr mint instructions).

Trade in tons of games yesterday but of note was that Bombastic ($6 used at EB), Malice PS2 ($5 new) and Robocop $5 new at EB, were all PO! Pulse Racer is $2.99 new and is also PO.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Trade in tons of games yesterday but of note was that Bombastic ($6 used at EB), Malice PS2 ($5 new) and Robocop $5 new at EB, were all PO! Pulse Racer is $2.99 new and is also PO.[/QUOTE]

Strider.....What system is each game for?

Someone mentioned BATTLE ENGINE AQUILA for PS2...any ideas how much it is and where to find it cheap?

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Battle Engine Aquila is $5.99 used at EB.[/QUOTE]

Sweet....id say we have a nice list altogether...you better hurry up though b/c if we are all using the same games they will become POX very very shortly!

[quote name='gmzone']Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, RE Code Veronica & Transformers for a PSP Game. Was surprised RE:CV still works...[/QUOTE]

wow you traded in chaos theory? that alone is almost worth a PSP game.

[quote name='gmzone']Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, RE Code Veronica & Transformers for a PSP Game. Was surprised RE:CV still works...[/QUOTE]

You did have credit left over, right? Splinter Cell should be around $25.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']You did have credit left over, right? Splinter Cell should be around $25.[/QUOTE]

I thought any traded in game has set credit at $13.33 no matter if the game is actually worth more or less than that to EB?

I traded in a copy of Power Puff Girls for the cube last week and it was $17. Two other games I had on me were only like a $1 before being bumped up to $13.33.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I traded in a copy of Power Puff Girls for the cube last week and it was $17. Two other games I had on me were only like a $1 before being bumped up to $13.33.[/QUOTE]

so they gave you a psp game with ~$4 credit?

I am keeping a list of cheapass ebgames po games in the deal discussion forum. I will try to update this all the time as there are always trade-in deals at EB. Anything you find for under $7 will be added to the list.

I went to EB this morning to trade in 4 for Ridge Racer and they DID NOT change in value. The guy then tried it with WipEout, and it DID change, so they were not POX.

Looks like the 4 for $40 and 5 for $50 party could be over.

Wow, yeah, mistake there. SC:CT should've gotten $30 credit or even $24 cash.

Well I went with 9 more holes form Blockbuster and its been changed to POX he looked it up and even showed me POX.

The guy then went out and tried to help me find a game under $7 to qualify but we were unsuccessful.

Also the Buy 2 get 1 free Blockbuster deal is over if people hadnt realized yet.

[quote name='Snake2715']Well I went with 9 more holes form Blockbuster and its been changed to POX he looked it up and even showed me POX.
[/QUOTE]
I can confirm this. I went with 3 copies and it was POX.

EB games is selling Battle Engine Aquilina for 4.99 new. They also have a game called Fast Karting new for 2.99 that qualifies.

Blockbuster is now buy 1 get 1 half off PO.

Anyone know if I can trade in 9 more holes at Gamestop as part of trade in 3 and get an extra 10 in credit? Or FYE for that matter?

Sucks that Outlaw Golf is now POX, glad I dumped most of mine yesterday, the rest go to franchise Blockbuster stores for a nice $10 each.

and it's Furious Karting that is $2.99 new.

[quote name='jza1218']I can confirm this. I went with 3 copies and it was POX.

EB games is selling Battle Engine Aquilina for 4.99 new. They also have a game called Fast Karting new for 2.99 that qualifies.

Blockbuster is now buy 1 get 1 half off PO.

Anyone know if I can trade in 9 more holes at Gamestop as part of trade in 3 and get an extra 10 in credit? Or FYE for that matter?[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard of Fast Karting. There is a XBOX game called Furious Karting, is that what you mean?

[quote name='hotwls13']I haven't heard of Fast Karting. There is a XBOX game called Furious Karting, is that what you mean?[/QUOTE]
Yeah sorry, I didnt feel like getting up and looking at the receipt.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Sucks that Outlaw Golf is now POX, glad I dumped most of mine yesterday, the rest go to franchise Blockbuster stores for a nice $10 each.

and it's Furious Karting that is $2.99 new.[/QUOTE]

Strider what are you talking aobut the $10 at franchised location?

[quote name='Snake2715']Strider what are you talking aobut the $10 at franchised location?[/QUOTE]

At the franchise Blockbuster stores that do trade ins, they took 9 More Holes and Outlaw Volleyball Red Hot for $10 credit. The lowest I ever got was $7.50 for a game in this generation, and that includes sports games like NFL2k3.

The easiest way is to ask an employee, it should be common knowledge for them to know if they are franchise or corporate.

You can also tell if it's franchise by seeing what kind of promotion they are running for games. Coroporate BB stores have the buy two get one free and/or buy one get one half off, all the franchise stores I've been have a weaksauce 'Buy Two Games Get $5 off'.

I went in today and got Wipeout Fusion. My problem now is that I have 5 games that are PO, but one that is POX. I bought Strike Force Bowling thinking it was PO, but it's not. I had to open my games before the EB guy would even scan them, so now I'm stuck with it.

Anyway, as I said before my mini-rant, I now have 5 games and am in need of a sixth. I've been doing $5 games at Best Buy thanks to "that" coupon. Here's what I have currently, waiting to be traded in at EB:

PS2 - Metal Arms
PS2 - Conflict: Desert Storm
PS2 - Bad Boys
PS2 - Cabela's Big Game Hunter
GCN - Future Tactics

Can anyone suggest an easy to find game that I can get for five or six bucks? I tried looking for some used games at my EB, but no luck on the regular cheapies there. I'm not aware of what's good to look for at Gamestop, so maybe that should be the area to explore.

bread's done
Back