(Deal Dead, Discussion Dying) Free PSP Games @ EB (w/select PS2/XBX/GC Trade-ins)

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Update: 4/16/05

Ths deal is now dead.
Go home... the party is over.

What's that? You wanna be the weird guy that hangs out after the party to talk about how cool the party was even though you were also the guy everyone at the party was trying to get away from?

Fine.... We'll say open for ya... BUT NO STICKY FOR YOU!

Thanks to everyone.... and don't forget.... now that you've gotten an entire library of PSP games for damn near free... don't forget to at least say hi to your DS once in a while.....

Your DS misses you....

Toodles!

UPDATE 4/11/05: As some of you may know... this deal advertised as "3 Trades for 1 PSP Game" is over as of 4/10. However, EBGames.com indicates that the deal is still fresh until the 15th, but you must trade in 6 for 2 games in one transaction in order for it to work.

Under In-Store Promotions, EBGames.com reads:
"Free select PSP title with PS2/XB/GC game trade-in (pre-purchase) Active: Now - 4/15/2005
Trade-in 6 qualifying pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $79.98 towards the pre-purchase of 2 of the following titles: GRETZKY NHL HOCKEY PSP or TWISTED METAL: HEAD ON PSP or WORLD TOUR SOCCER PSP or ATV OFFRD FURY BLAZIN TRLS PSP or APE ESCAPE PSP or NBA PSP or WIPEOUT PURE PSP or MLB PSP. Game boxes and instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May be combined with other EB Promotions. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Not valid on hardware. See sales associate for complete details. Customer may be responsible for sales tax."

Some stores may or may not honor this promo, and some stores may still let you only trade in 3 for 1. Regardless, we'll keep this thread stickied until the 16th, then officially kill it 14 days after the 15th, for all you guys trying to exchange your items obtained on the 15th. In any case, the trade-in deal is YMMV, and exchanging the PSP games is even more YMMV.

Good luck to all of you on the final days of what is sure to be the most memorable, and profitable, trade-in deal of 2005!

[quote name='joystickz']

Here's the scoop.

EBGames In Store is having an in-store promotion on the preorder/purchase of PSP games that could potentially make your initial launch library damn near free.

Here's the deal......

ebpspfree6ss.jpg

With this deal, gamers need only trade in THREE games not on THIS LIST to receive one of the EIGHT games shown above.

gretzkyfree3al.jpg

For those of you who can put two and two together, understand that when you get the game from EB it bumps the value of each game that might be normally traded in for 50 cents, up to a third of the price of any of those 39.99 games.

Then, with your sealed game in hand, and receipt (or better, gift receipt) for said game, you are not prohibited from later exchanging it for store credit for the full $40 value of the game.

In essence, the deal isn't "just for those 8 PSP games" because you can still exchange any one of them within 14 days of purchase for full credit.

Better yet... get your credit back on a gift card (make sure it has scratch off pin numbers) and use it online.

Above deal ends April 10th.

Sound easy?
Good.

NOTE: Though this isnt a YMMV deal, the clerks all over don't seem to be too refreshed on it... so make sure you're cool with the employees enough to share some patience until they work it out in the computer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rubberlegs']I tried Ark the Lad today and it came up as POX. Just in case anyone wanted to know. It's not on the exclusion list. The copy I tried to trade-in was an extra I got from TRU.[/QUOTE]

its on the list as:

234370 ARC THE LAD: TWILIGHT PS2

hey.....
you.

yeah you!

has this MOST EXCELLENT thread been helpful to you?
have you gotten a least one PSP game out of this deal?

THEN RATE THE THREAD IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER!

wait wait, I just bought some Red Hot outlaw volleyballs and 9 holes of xmases at BB, will they work for this?

[quote name='JohnHam']wait wait, I just bought some Red Hot outlaw volleyballs and 9 holes of xmases at BB, will they work for this?[/QUOTE]

Outlaw Volleyball: Red Hot - Won't work

Outlaw Volleyball - won't work

Outlaw Golf: 9 Holes of Xmas - won't work

Outlaw Golf: 9 MORE Holes of Xmas - works

Outlaw Golf - won't work

Outlaw Golf: Holiday Golf - won't work

Outlaw Golf 2 - works

ok so i got twisted metal 3 days ago. my local EB only has open box (display box) left... they were all sold out, i dont like Twisted metal so went back there today, asking for an exchange to a new sealed/shrinkwrapped one.... i told em the disc is defective
they told me they dont have any TM left, and they can give me a in stor credit.... i was like sweet.... so i get a $39.99 for instore credits that i can use to buy other games.

Then i want to make other trading deal, i want a wipeout this time, and i know they only got the display box left, so i asked them to put it into instore credits

So at the end i got 2 giftcard, that she told me has $39.99 ea, but when i got home i check the receipt, saying that one card has $39.99 the iother one has only $9.50.
The $9.50 is from the games i traded for wipeout, so i gave EB a call and she, the clerk, said when use the card the credits will bump up to $39.99... i check online it says i only got $9.50 in that card

so what should i do ?

sorry for the n00b question... i m new with thise cheapass deal :)

[quote name='yuckfou']ok so i got twisted metal 3 days ago. my local EB only has open box (display box) left... they were all sold out, i dont like Twisted metal so went back there today, asking for an exchange to a new sealed/shrinkwrapped one.... i told em the disc is defective
they told me they dont have any TM left, and they can give me a in stor credit.... i was like sweet.... so i get a $39.99 for instore credits that i can use to buy other games.

Then i want to make other trading deal, i want a wipeout this time, and i know they only got the display box left, so i asked them to put it into instore credits

So at the end i got 2 giftcard, that she told me has $39.99 ea, but when i got home i check the receipt, saying that one card has $39.99 the iother one has only $9.50.
The $9.50 is from the games i traded for wipeout, so i gave EB a call and she, the clerk, said when use the card the credits will bump up to $39.99... i check online it says i only got $9.50 in that card

so what should i do ?

sorry for the n00b question... i m new with thise cheapass deal :)[/QUOTE]

its doesnt matter what the clerk "told" you what was on it.
it matters what was on it.

the way i get understand....
you exchanged twisted metal and got a 39.99 gift card.
done deal.

then you traded in three pieces of crap for a PSP game....
but saw they only had wipeout and nothing you really wanted... so you told the lady to just put it on a GC instead....

so the lady took your three games... scanned them in... and gave you a $9.50 card despite what she told you.

right?

check the receipt for that card.
what does it say the balance is?
does it say 39.99? or 9.50?

if the receipt says 9.50... then theres nothing you can do really....

but if it says 39.99... but checks out online to be less....
go back to the store with your receipt and explain that there was a mistake... and the GC you got only has 9.50... and not the 39.99 that the receipt says.

you follow?

point is... the only way you should have the second $40 is if you traded those three for wipeout... then exchanged wipeout back for another $40.

it sounds like she just scanned in your three games and you got the $9.50 for what they were really worth.... and there was a miscommunication as to what was on the GC or not.

so... check your receipt.

get back to us on that.

Not sure if this has been said but it looks like the Blockbuster Outlaw games are not good for the eb deal--though I didn't see them on the list personally.

Anyone know what they give for them at FYE or Gamestop?

[quote name='Apossum']Not sure if this has been said but it looks like the Blockbuster Outlaw games are not good for the eb deal--though I didn't see them on the list personally.

Anyone know what they give for them at FYE or Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

actually.....

Outlaw Golf: Nine MORE Holes of Xmas has pretty much been the backbone of many a CAGers new stck of PSP Games and EB store credit.

check post number 754....

"Outlaw (whatever)" has been mentioned on nearly every page of the thread...

[quote name='joystickz']actually.....

Outlaw Golf: Nine MORE Holes of Xmas has pretty much been the backbone of many a CAGers new stck of PSP Games and EB store credit.

check post number 754....

"Outlaw (whatever)" has been mentioned on nearly every page of the thread...[/QUOTE]

i am not disputing you i am just telling you what happened to me....

went to two different stores in okla city and at both i asked them to manually look up the title rather than scan it....at both stores they told me that nine MORE holes of xmas (from BB for 2.99) is on the exclusion list....

could there possibly be different region lists?

[quote name='PS2gamerGCN']Hey...since I noticed you're from Rockford, did you see Twisted Metal at either of the EB games? I went to the one on 173 and the one on State street on saturday and both were out of Twisted Metal for PSP so I couldn't do the trade in deal. :(
Thanks![/QUOTE]

I went to the one on State and all they had was Wipeout Pure and that NHL game or whatever.

[quote name='CaptPete']Anyone noticed that the exclusion list is no longer online? Or rather, the link isn't showing up on the `Trade-In Offers' page. The actual page still seems to be there though: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/shops/instoretradein/exclusions.asp[/QUOTE]

So they did remove it... I thought I was going crazy when it wasn't there anymore. I wonder why though...

Anyway, I'm going back tomorrow... I might go to the other EB though if they have some other games.

I'm glad everyone has been able to use 9 More Holes of Xmas at BB to get some PSP games. It feels good to contribute to CAG after taking advantage of all the deals posted here. It's still workin here in Chitown.

[quote name='joystickz']
Outlaw Golf: 9 Holes of Xmas - won't work

Outlaw Golf: 9 MORE Holes of Xmas - works

[/QUOTE]

i slipped a 9 holes of Xmas in the other day and i was able to get a PSP game for it and two other PO games... after reading this I checked my reciept and it scanned as PO-OUTLAW/G:9MH X which is what 9 MORE holes scans as. Either I got really lucky, or the computers are reading it wrong. Everytime I have taken in games the employee just scans and hits whatever magic button it is they hit.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but 39 pages is too many to search through:

Aside from the exclusion list, what are the other trade-in guidelines? Are original case and manual required?

[quote name='eatntae']Apologies if this has been asked before, but 39 pages is too many to search through:

Aside from the exclusion list, what are the other trade-in guidelines? Are original case and manual required?[/QUOTE]

bring em a disc in good shape... no scratches.
a case with an insert intact.
and book.
if you don't have a book.... maybe just stuff a bunch random Playstaiton underground/nintendo power/xbox live pamphlets in there....

its really just YMMV on the instruction book.

[quote name='yuckfou']i just trade 4 game that i got from hollywood, they have no manuals, no original box[/QUOTE]

you never got back to me/us on the EB gift card situation.

figure it out?

i tried trading in some more PSP games for store credit and he said "they work for sony games only" which is BS, cuz ive put it towards shit that wasnt sony at all. When the damn employees try to get all smart i dont even argue, i just say screw it and try my luck at another store (which usually works almost all the time). Unfortunately my dad isnt like that and he likes to hear them spew crap out of their mouth... so be it.

[quote name='Apossum']Not sure if this has been said but it looks like the Blockbuster Outlaw games are not good for the eb deal--though I didn't see them on the list personally.

Anyone know what they give for them at FYE or Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Dunno about Corporate BB stores but the franchise BB stores doing trade ins take those Outlaw Expansions for $10.

FYE is about $7.50. Gamestop should be no more than 3 or 4 bucks.

[quote name='yuckfou']im planning to go back to EB tomorrow, asking for $39.99 gift card, of maybe just take the wipeout

btw what is YMMV ?[/QUOTE]

YMMV means "Your Mileage May Vary"..... meaning that you never know if something will work or not... but it likely depends on where you go, or who the cashier is you are dealing with at the time and place.

so... WHAT WAS ON THE RECEIPT?

[quote name='vietgurl']rockridge oakland and downtown berkeley

used to work at the one in utc san diego before i left for college

So I have Metal Gear Acid and Lumines paid off...what game should I trade in more games towards next? I have too many games that I never play...[/QUOTE]

Those are my local EBs. :lol:

I wasn't the one who worked the system, btw.

[quote name='yuckfou']i just trade 4 game that i got from hollywood, they have no manuals, no original box[/QUOTE]
Just got twisted metal and untold legends for bunch of crappy hollywood games, this deal rocks!!!

[quote name='Daddy']I fear that they browse this site...making deals dissappear....this may be bad[/QUOTE]

They are both too stupid to browse these websites or not know about the possible loop-holes in these deals/trade-ins.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Dunno about Corporate BB stores but the franchise BB stores doing trade ins take those Outlaw Expansions for $10.

FYE is about $7.50. Gamestop should be no more than 3 or 4 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Tried shopping them around today--

Fye wouldn't take them, but gamestop gave me $14(traded OGxmas, OVB red hot and an exhibition.) It would have been $4, but they have a $10 extra deal. Picked me up a copy of Onimusha 3 for $13!

How can you tell if a BB is corporate or franchise?

Just ask an employee, but you usually can tell just by looking at the stock in their store. I've never seen a franchise store with Akuma controllers or other game accessories for sale, they often don't sell new game releases and they don't have the 'Buy Two Get on Free' promo going for used games. Instead they had 'Buy Two Get $5'.

[quote name='Freshwillis']Those are my local EBs. :lol:

I wasn't the one who worked the system, btw.[/QUOTE]

Local for me also. I just came back from getting store credit at Berkeley & Emeryville. Too bad the Berkeley store doesn't do the 3 for 1 PSP promo.

I returned Wipeout and Twisted Metal today . . . looking at the receipt, she asked my what I wanted to do like it was going to be a problem . . . I said as store credit, and the clerk rang it up. $84.06 of new credit to milk!!! Not bad from $30 worth of games that I didn't need anymore.

Have other people gotten the sales tax back on their returns? (even though you never paid it).

Its really cool because it makes up for the "lost" sales tax of a trade-in and subsequent on-line purchase.

[quote name='Kayday']Local for me also. I just came back from getting store credit at Berkeley & Emeryville. Too bad the Berkeley store doesn't do the 3 for 1 PSP promo.[/QUOTE]

I traded in everything I had in the last extra credit deal. The emeryville store seems to have crappy games in stock, probably from all of the cheapass trade ins. :lol:

Has anyone had any problems trading in multiple copies of the same game? I found a couple of Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragons at a Hollywood Video (xbox) and tried trading them in together but the guy at the EB told me no multiples. Fortunately, I had other crap to trade in so he let me trade in multiple sets of 3 each one with a single Bruce Lee in them.

But now I have 2 Bad Boys: Miami Takedown and just want to find one more cheapass game for the deal instead of hunting down 4 titles to make two sets of 3. Will going to another EB help?

[quote name='joystickz']YMMV means "Your Mileage May Vary"..... meaning that you never know if something will work or not... but it likely depends on where you go, or who the cashier is you are dealing with at the time and place.

so... WHAT WAS ON THE RECEIPT?[/QUOTE]
the receipt says $9.50
i just got back from EB, different clerk now (finally!!) ... explain it to him, and get the wipeout, open/display box
he said he can return/refund the games that already traded
so what he did is, he gave the game $30.49 discount price overide on the wipeout, so on the receipt it appears that the wipeout is only $9.50

sorry for the bad quality, no scanner atm
eb.jpg

the 4 trade in games for a 40 dollar psp game...when does this promo end? and since best buy has that 5$ off any ps2 game coupon, what were the cheapest games you guys have found at a bb? thx

[quote name='Yag']the 4 trade in games for a 40 dollar psp game...when does this promo end? and since best buy has that 5$ off any ps2 game coupon, what were the cheapest games you guys have found at a bb? thx[/QUOTE]

It's 3 games you have to trade in. And I think the promo ends April 10th.

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']I have six sealed Terminator 3: The Redemption for Xbox.... can I take them and get two PSP games or will they not let me? :([/QUOTE]

Chances are, no way in hell. Most often, they'll want them open to check the discs and they'll maybe take one dupe....but more than that, no way.

[quote name='lurknomore']Chances are, no way in hell. Most often, they'll want them open to check the discs and they'll maybe take one dupe....but more than that, no way.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt care about opening them.... but since you said no dupes.... argh.

Anyone wanna buy one.... $15 shipped. ;)

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']I wouldnt care about opening them.... but since you said no dupes.... argh.

Anyone wanna buy one.... $15 shipped. ;)[/QUOTE]

Why can't you just spread them out. Take one or two in a day with another game...spread them around other EBs.

So are Jampacks good to trade or is it YMMV (sorry if question has been answered in this or other threads, i tried looking but couldnt find it.)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So are Jampacks good to trade or is it YMMV (sorry if question has been answered in this or other threads, i tried looking but couldnt find it.)[/QUOTE]

jampack usage is now kaput.

[quote name='schultzed']Have other people gotten the sales tax back on their returns? (even though you never paid it).

Its really cool because it makes up for the "lost" sales tax of a trade-in and subsequent on-line purchase.[/QUOTE]

I got $39.99 plus tax ($43.44 total), on a gift card for returning Wipeout. However, it isn't a "profit" because anything I buy with that card will be charged tax. If I had put the $39.99 on my Edge card, I wouldn't have gotten the "extra" tax money, but anything I buy would be tax-free. At least, that's how it works in my state.

Will they take Freestyle Street Soccer from Blockbuster? I don't see it on the exclusion list, but since it's an exclusive I wasn't sure. Also, what kind of luck have most of you had on duplicates? Do you think they're more lax if you have multiple copies for different systems?

[quote name='salmonaxxx']I got $39.99 plus tax ($43.44 total), on a gift card for returning Wipeout. However, it isn't a "profit" because anything I buy with that card will be charged tax. If I had put the $39.99 on my Edge card, I wouldn't have gotten the "extra" tax money, but anything I buy would be tax-free. At least, that's how it works in my state.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you're not out anything this way, because you get the tax back.

My EB really sucks, so I spend more online . . . if I transfer the credit from my Edge card to a Gift Card, I lose the tax advantage (pay taxes during online transactions).

So, for me, these "returns" are cooler than ordinary trade-ins.

I try to use Edge credit instore and use the Gift Card dough online.

Hey, I'm thinking about using this deal when I (attempt to) get a PSP in the next few days. When you get store credit, do they save it in the computer like Game Crazy (at least the one near me) does? Or is it like, they give you a gift card with your store credit amount on it? And slightly off topic, but still on EB, do they have any kind of extended warranty that you can buy?

[quote name='devdude44']Hey, I'm thinking about using this deal when I (attempt to) get a PSP in the next few days. When you get store credit, do they save it in the computer like Game Crazy (at least the one near me) does? Or is it like, they give you a gift card with your store credit amount on it? And slightly off topic, but still on EB, do they have any kind of extended warranty that you can buy?[/QUOTE]

The credit is on a card which you can take to other EBs.

will EB accpet these games? i didnt see them on the list but i just want to make sure :)

Bad Boys: Miami Takedown: PlayStation 2

MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch - PlayStation 2 (PS2)

Metal Arms (ps2)

bread's done
Back