(Deal Dead, Discussion Dying) Free PSP Games @ EB (w/select PS2/XBX/GC Trade-ins)

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Update: 4/16/05

Ths deal is now dead.
Go home... the party is over.

What's that? You wanna be the weird guy that hangs out after the party to talk about how cool the party was even though you were also the guy everyone at the party was trying to get away from?

Fine.... We'll say open for ya... BUT NO STICKY FOR YOU!

Thanks to everyone.... and don't forget.... now that you've gotten an entire library of PSP games for damn near free... don't forget to at least say hi to your DS once in a while.....

Your DS misses you....

Toodles!

UPDATE 4/11/05: As some of you may know... this deal advertised as "3 Trades for 1 PSP Game" is over as of 4/10. However, EBGames.com indicates that the deal is still fresh until the 15th, but you must trade in 6 for 2 games in one transaction in order for it to work.

Under In-Store Promotions, EBGames.com reads:
"Free select PSP title with PS2/XB/GC game trade-in (pre-purchase) Active: Now - 4/15/2005
Trade-in 6 qualifying pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $79.98 towards the pre-purchase of 2 of the following titles: GRETZKY NHL HOCKEY PSP or TWISTED METAL: HEAD ON PSP or WORLD TOUR SOCCER PSP or ATV OFFRD FURY BLAZIN TRLS PSP or APE ESCAPE PSP or NBA PSP or WIPEOUT PURE PSP or MLB PSP. Game boxes and instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May be combined with other EB Promotions. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Not valid on hardware. See sales associate for complete details. Customer may be responsible for sales tax."

Some stores may or may not honor this promo, and some stores may still let you only trade in 3 for 1. Regardless, we'll keep this thread stickied until the 16th, then officially kill it 14 days after the 15th, for all you guys trying to exchange your items obtained on the 15th. In any case, the trade-in deal is YMMV, and exchanging the PSP games is even more YMMV.

Good luck to all of you on the final days of what is sure to be the most memorable, and profitable, trade-in deal of 2005!

[quote name='joystickz']

Here's the scoop.

EBGames In Store is having an in-store promotion on the preorder/purchase of PSP games that could potentially make your initial launch library damn near free.

Here's the deal......

ebpspfree6ss.jpg

With this deal, gamers need only trade in THREE games not on THIS LIST to receive one of the EIGHT games shown above.

gretzkyfree3al.jpg

For those of you who can put two and two together, understand that when you get the game from EB it bumps the value of each game that might be normally traded in for 50 cents, up to a third of the price of any of those 39.99 games.

Then, with your sealed game in hand, and receipt (or better, gift receipt) for said game, you are not prohibited from later exchanging it for store credit for the full $40 value of the game.

In essence, the deal isn't "just for those 8 PSP games" because you can still exchange any one of them within 14 days of purchase for full credit.

Better yet... get your credit back on a gift card (make sure it has scratch off pin numbers) and use it online.

Above deal ends April 10th.

Sound easy?
Good.

NOTE: Though this isnt a YMMV deal, the clerks all over don't seem to be too refreshed on it... so make sure you're cool with the employees enough to share some patience until they work it out in the computer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sonic PR']The nre list of games that I've compiled that are tradeable for this offer:

PS2
Enter the Matrix (PS2)
Jak and Daxter (PS2)
Hitman Contracts (PS2)
Syphon Filter (PS2)
Outlaw Golf (PS2)
Quake 3 (PS2)
Metal Arms (PS2)
Rygar (PS2)
Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland (PS2)
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PS2)

XBox
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (XB)
Aquaman (XB)
Pulse Racer (XB)
Spinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (XB)

Gamecube
Godzilla (GC)
Cubix (GC)
Aquaman (GC)
Virtua Striker (GC)
Star Wars: Jedi Outcast (GC)
Crazy Taxi (GC)
Gaunlet: Dark Legacy (GC)
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (GC)[/QUOTE]

Add Battle Engine Aquilina, Furious Karting for the XB

[quote name='jza1218']Add Battle Engine Aquilina, Furious Karting for the XB[/QUOTE]

Also add Bad Boys: Miami Takedown (PS2), Conflict: Desert Storm (PS2 GH)

[quote name='BigHow']Just got back from my EB (Broadway and 3rd in NYC) and the guy behind the counter told me that their regional manager ended the promotion early, and that they should only honor it for people who had previously asked about it or who still had a flyer. He recognized me, so it was no big problem to get my copy of Wipeout Pure. But an interesting change of events.[/QUOTE]

Deal is dead out here in Illinois (central Illinois at least). Management sent out an email and took the option out of the computer. Guy at one EB gave me the offer because there were a stack of flyers on the counter that said the deal ended the tenth, the other EB gave it to me because he knew I knew about the offer ending on the tenth.

So YMMV, but this looks like it could die early.

I'm only stuck with 9 More Holes X-mas x3 and Battle Engine...

[quote name='outkastx']Deal is dead out here in Illinois (central Illinois at least). Management sent out an email and took the option out of the computer. Guy at one EB gave me the offer because there were a stack of flyers on the counter that said the deal ended the tenth, the other EB gave it to me because he knew I knew about the offer ending on the tenth.

I'm only stuck with 9 More Holes X-mas x3 and Battle Engine...[/QUOTE]

Shit... I'm in Naperville, IL so I'm hoping this won't affect me. I've got 2 different EB's that I can try and I still wanna get Darkstalkers so hopefully the deal'll still be open (or hopefully they still have that stack of flyers.)

[quote name='outkastx']Deal is dead out here in Illinois (central Illinois at least). Management sent out an email and took the option out of the computer. Guy at one EB gave me the offer because there were a stack of flyers on the counter that said the deal ended the tenth, the other EB gave it to me because he knew I knew about the offer ending on the tenth.

I'm only stuck with 9 More Holes X-mas x3 and Battle Engine...[/QUOTE]

Shoot, I'm in SE Wisconsin . . . I was hoping for extention not death!

I'll try today and see.

BTW, don't call to ask . . . then they will remove the flyers.

Keep us posted fellas, haven't tried today here in California yet--but hoping that this won't die!

Deal is ending sort of?

Just got back from Best Buy and 2 EB's (in the same mall)

Picked up Cabela's Big Game Hunter & Conflict for $10
Picked up Malice (PS2) from one EBgames (Thanks Strider Turbulence) $5

Picked up Wipeout at a second EBgames. The clerk didn't want to give me the deal at first saying it ended early but he was cool about it. So I just started talking to the manager guy who is really awesome and I'm like can I see what I would get for these anyway? So he tells me $6.50. I'm like ah I think I'll pass. So the manager and the clerk start talking about the deal and the manager grabs the stack of the trade-in flyers and he says this says the 10th! I'll give you the deal. Sweet!

Well I posted that this would die a few pages back b/c everyone went into detail about how to do the deal and what games to buy....Id say told you so but why....we should let everyone do there own homework and just post the deal we all know what stores to look for and can call eb or ask if we find a cheap game if its PO or not...when people go into deatil about how to rip off the deal the deal dies....especially this deal b/c everyone started posting used EB titles so esentially you can use EB credit to make Eb credit...hence the deal is dead...in fact its no wonder the deal died right after it was extended....pretty much around the same time the EB games were posted NOT when the BB and TRU games were up...this site is its own worst enemy b/c of people going into deatil not b/c people post deals....so dont misunderstand my post I am merely saying we should let everyone do there own homework

Im here in Iowa and the deal ended according to the guy I just spoke to. He still hooked me up though, traded in 6 games for Untold Legends and a reserve for MLB.

[quote name='Daddy']Well I posted that this would die a few pages back b/c everyone went into detail about how to do the deal and what games to buy....Id say told you so but why....we should let everyone do there own homework and just post the deal we all know what stores to look for and can call eb or ask if we find a cheap game if its PO or not...when people go into deatil about how to rip off the deal the deal dies....especially this deal b/c everyone started posting used EB titles so esentially you can use EB credit to make Eb credit...hence the deal is dead...in fact its no wonder the deal died right after it was extended....pretty much around the same time the EB games were posted NOT when the BB and TRU games were up...this site is its own worst enemy b/c of people going into deatil not b/c people post deals....so dont misunderstand my post I am merely saying we should let everyone do there own homework[/QUOTE]

I think you are overreacting just a little. The deal was suppose to end on the 10th and it ended on the 8th. 2 Days isn't that much time. However if you go in and ask for the deal they will give it to you. Not to mention that everyone had way more than enough time to get in on this deal. It isn't only this site contributing to people taking advantage of the deal.

[quote name='Daddy']Well I posted that this would die a few pages back b/c everyone went into detail about how to do the deal and what games to buy....Id say told you so but why....we should let everyone do there own homework and just post the deal we all know what stores to look for and can call eb or ask if we find a cheap game if its PO or not...when people go into deatil about how to rip off the deal the deal dies....especially this deal b/c everyone started posting used EB titles so esentially you can use EB credit to make Eb credit...hence the deal is dead...in fact its no wonder the deal died right after it was extended....pretty much around the same time the EB games were posted NOT when the BB and TRU games were up...this site is its own worst enemy b/c of people going into deatil not b/c people post deals....so dont misunderstand my post I am merely saying we should let everyone do there own homework[/QUOTE]

This thread has 68 pages and was started over a month ago. If you couldn't take advantage of this deal, that's your problem. If you can't get off your ass to do something in a MONTH, I have no sympathy for you. Just accept it and wait for the next one to come along.

[quote name='mmn']This thread has 68 pages and was started over a month ago. If you couldn't take advantage of this deal, that's your problem. If you can't get off your ass to do something in a MONTH, I have no sympathy for you. Just accept it and wait for the next one to come along.[/QUOTE]

I have about 10 psp games to go back and almost 2000 in credit currently...point is these things could be prolonged better....the other point is you know Eb knows to look here so why post what games,where to get them and how much they cost...we all know by now there are 3-4 stores to look for for these deals....doin the homework is gettin off your ass....comin in here and saying "What titles do I need to trade to rip off EB?" is another story.....the best example is this deal....Why would a deal thats just be extended to the 15th....now be cancelled all together...simple...you can take credit to get credit...and if it wasnt for poeple posting it this could have been done for another week w/o incident

[quote name='jkam']I think you are overreacting just a little. The deal was suppose to end on the 10th and it ended on the 8th. 2 Days isn't that much time. However if you go in and ask for the deal they will give it to you. Not to mention that everyone had way more than enough time to get in on this deal. It isn't only this site contributing to people taking advantage of the deal.[/QUOTE]

What other site is extensive as this one...not to mention sponsering EB???? *CAG15* in case you forgot

[quote name='Daddy']I have about 10 psp games to go back and almost 2000 in credit currently...point is these things could be prolonged better....the other point is you know Eb knows to look here so why post what games,where to get them and how much they cost...we all know by now there are 3-4 stores to look for for these deals....doin the homework is gettin off your ass....comin in here and saying "What titles do I need to trade to rip off EB?" is another story.....the best example is this deal....Why would a deal thats just be extended to the 15th....now be cancelled all together...simple...you can take credit to get credit...and if it wasnt for poeple posting it this could have been done for another week w/o incident[/QUOTE]

A whole week for what exactly? To add to your 2000 in credit along with your 10 PSP games that have to go back? I think I did this deal a total of 4 times. Did you ever stop to think you are part of the problem?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm usually not so negative, but I can't help it...

Cry me a river.[/QUOTE]

Not crying just sating a fact...if you beat me in my 2000 in credit plus my looks like 7 PSP games now that I count you let me know...

[quote name='jkam']A whole week for what exactly? To add to your 2000 in credit along with your 10 PSP games that have to go back? I think I did this deal a total of 4 times. Did you ever stop to think you are part of the problem?[/QUOTE]

That 2000 is between the 5 games deal and the PSP deal, and no...i dont do duplicate titles...so where is the foul at?.....i have more titles then listed for making money on this deal...i just dont go all out and post every single one of them

No I don't own a PSP and I didn't take advantage of the trade in deals. I was just reading the posts and I saw you whining and couldn't help say "Cry me a river". You probably even wouldn't know about 90% of the deals that are happening, especially this one, without CAG. If you got a few games out of the deal, good, but people like you just sour the deals sometimes.

[quote name='Daddy']That 2000 is between the 5 games deal and the PSP deal, and no...i dont do duplicate titles...so where is the foul at?.....i have more titles then listed for making money on this deal...i just dont go all out and post every single one of them[/QUOTE]

Yeah and in that time you didn't:

1. Use the same games over and over
2. Buy games and trade them back in

That is part of the problem. There aren't that many PO games for this deal that are super cheap so I can't see how you did it over and over without using the SAME games at least once.

The $5 deal was a lot better since there were NO exclusions. If you made a shit ton of credit there I can understand it.

Honestly though there will be another deal soon enough so who cares? Why not just use some credit to buy some games you want and play them until the next great deal?

man....

this is gettin crazy.

I've created a thread monster.

only 2 more days till we put it down to rest....
(actually, maybe 14 days after the 10th... with receipt.)

[quote name='JDMxB']Keep us posted fellas, haven't tried today here in California yet--but hoping that this won't die![/QUOTE]

I'm gonna try today. I tried yesterday taking in some PS2 Jampacks Vol.10, 11, but they wouldn't take them for the deal. Said I could only get credit. I took 9 of those in to trade, since I got them for $0.01 at CC, but he would only give me $3.75 credit for all 9. Vol.11 wasn't on the list, but Vol. 10 is.

Gonna try a different EB today at lunch. Hopefully have better luck.

[quote name='joystickz']man....

this is gettin crazy.

I've created a thread monster.

only 2 more days till we put it down to rest....
(actually, maybe 14 days after the 10th... with receipt.)[/QUOTE]

haha or maybe 14 days with reciept after ATV comes out ;)

Deal dead at the EB I just came from. I still wanted to unload pulse racer, malice, and Eggmania. I guess I'll take 'em to fye and get $37.

This deal was awesome, I made lots of credit (all of which is now gone) and it made me actually drop $250+tax in cash to buy a PSP on launch.

I am so glad that I went in last night then! Then again, things seemed to be afoot the last week or so with the removal from the website and the changes in the exclusion list. Funny, it was just about the time the thread went sticky. =) (I imagine the influx of people with 12 copies of Jampack 11, 9 copies of `9 more holes', or just asking which cheap PO games weren't excluded and then trying to flip them at the store might have had something to do with it...)

For what it's worth:

The website shows that the deal is still valid until the 15th, so if you are actually looking to get a few games and not milk the system you might be able to send them in to EB.

[quote name='RavenHawk']For what it's worth:

The website shows that the deal is still valid until the 15th, so if you are actually looking to get a few games and not milk the system you might be able to send them in to EB.[/QUOTE]

That is the weird part to this . . . EB doesn't do mail in deals any more (I got Ninja Gaiden that way last year). Stuff on the web site refers to in-store only. Yet, at the store, they deny that they have to abide by the website.

At my store (for me anyway) they always say that they can't overide the computers . . .

Sounds like it's dead everywhere. Wonder if it still works in their computer system? Kind of weird they wouldn't just go the extra 2-3 days to 4/10. Was great while it lasted though.

(And if they are watching us.........[Start X-Files theme song]) Thanks EB.

[quote name='Daddy']That 2000 is between the 5 games deal and the PSP deal, and no...i dont do duplicate titles...so where is the foul at?.....i have more titles then listed for making money on this deal...i just dont go all out and post every single one of them[/QUOTE]

no one cried foul, but by trading so often (enough to build up $2000 IN CREDIT!?!?) you certainly didn't help keep the deal alive and may have had a hand in ending it early....this is after you are blaming everyone else for screwing up the deal...look in the mirror dude

[quote name='BigHow']Just got back from my EB (Broadway and 3rd in NYC) and the guy behind the counter told me that their regional manager ended the promotion early, and that they should only honor it for people who had previously asked about it or who still had a flyer. He recognized me, so it was no big problem to get my copy of Wipeout Pure. But an interesting change of events.[/QUOTE]

Damn the promotion ended? **** I had planning going to EB today. Will it work if I have a flyer of the promotion?

Dead for me in Maryland. Went to two different EBs...perfectly nice guys, who even wanted to help me cheat the system....and the computer just wouldn't take. They then offered to cheat me some more for $10 apiece for my 3 games. They are worth more to me than that and I think that the magive cut-off is plus-$12 apiece. Call me a cheapo. They had the flyers and everything so that was a no go for me regardless.

Alive for me in Springfield Mall VA, however, friend of mine told it was dead in Fair Oaks Mall.

traded in, ribbit king, desert storm, zelda ww for wipeout.

edit: forgot to add, i went around 3-4 PM eastern time

[quote name='Chaz Ashley']Alive for me in Springfield Mall VA, however, friend of mine told it was dead in Fair Oaks Mall.

traded in, ribbit king, desert storm, zelda ww for wipeout.

edit: forgot to add, i went around 3-4 PM eastern time[/QUOTE]

that's just not right.. zelda ww for wipeout

Just called the EB in Christiansburg, Va and it's still alive. The manger told me that the deal is still going on until 4/10.

Funny thing is when I was in the EB in Roanoke it was dead there. These EB's are about 35-40 miles apart. When I was in this EB I asked why the promo ended early. The clerk said that he got the e-mail this morning to end the deal and that's all he knew. Then I started to look around the store. That's when I realized that they had a shit load of used cheap games laying around everywhere. The store is really not that big.

Well I'm off to see if I can trade-in this last set of games.

[quote name='maxflight']that's just not right.. zelda ww for wipeout[/QUOTE]

heh, i did it cuz i knew I can get zelda complete for like 11 bucks later on when I feel like playin it again (I beat it and stuff) the one I traded in didn't even have the instructions.

[quote name='Daddy']I have about 10 psp games to go back and almost 2000 in credit currently...point is these things could be prolonged better....the other point is you know Eb knows to look here so why post what games,where to get them and how much they cost...we all know by now there are 3-4 stores to look for for these deals....doin the homework is gettin off your ass....comin in here and saying "What titles do I need to trade to rip off EB?" is another story.....the best example is this deal....Why would a deal thats just be extended to the 15th....now be cancelled all together...simple...you can take credit to get credit...and if it wasnt for poeple posting it this could have been done for another week w/o incident[/QUOTE]

Posting what games work...Good.
Posting where one can get them...Good.
Posting that one can exchange the PSP games for credit...Somewhat questionable, but I don't have a problem with it.

Doing it so many times that you rack up $2000+ in store credit...The most likely reason the deal died. No, I'm not blaming you specifically, but there is a difference between taking advantage of a deal and completely exploiting it. Do you really think EB pulled the deal because it was posted here, and not because of people like you?

[quote name='Daddy']I have about 10 psp games to go back and almost 2000 in credit currently...[/QUOTE]

by my math thats about 60 psp games. Possible, but I'm still calling shenanigans on this. If it is true, I agree its more damaging in the long run than sharing info online.

Well I couldn't help but try my luck this afternoon.

Just as stated earlier, an email came down this morning telling them that the deal was officially over.....however.....they are supposed to honor it for anyone who still has the flyer. This may be a YMMV situation, but I was able to score 3 more PSP games for friends and family.

Good luck!

Dead here as well. The CSR did let me do one last trade though. He said they got notice this morning to end it. He didn't know or say why they ended it. I was surprised he did it any way. I ended up having maybe 3-4 games I had planned on trading left. Oh well, I will just keep some, and trade the rest at FYE or GR.

I just called 2 EB's today and one said the deal is still going. The thing is, I'm gonna trade in the games and get a PSP game. I really don't want the PSP games listed on the promotion. But I'm gonna exchange it in another store (like Walmart/Target).

[quote name='RavenHawk']Just as stated earlier, an email came down this morning telling them that the deal was officially over.....however.....they are supposed to honor it for anyone who still has the flyer. This may be a YMMV situation, but I was able to score 3 more PSP games for friends and family.
[/QUOTE]
This is good news. I still have a couple of flyers, so with a little kicking and screaming I should get a couple of last minute trades in. And if they don't let me, no biggie. I haven't gotten as much out of this deal as some of you, but I got five or six cheap PSP games. Without this deal, I'd probably have just a couple of PSP games right now.

I don't think any of us should get too upset (or start pointing fingers) just because EB ended the deal a couple of days early. It's been going on since March 15, so we've been giving EB a solid rogering for over three weeks now. Think about it. If you haven't gotten enough out of the deal by now, whose fault is that?

-DM

omg, I should've traded the games I had in my hands while I had them at the store. I opened it already, but was waiting for the right person to trade to. Now I'm stuck with $60 of worthless games.. oh well, at least theres blockbuster.

[quote name='D. Monic']It's been going on since March 15, so we've been giving EB a solid rogering for over three weeks now. -DM[/QUOTE]

I actually laughed out loud. Thank you.

[quote name='DoggXXL']I'm gonna try today. I tried yesterday taking in some PS2 Jampacks Vol.10, 11, but they wouldn't take them for the deal. Said I could only get credit. I took 9 of those in to trade, since I got them for $0.01 at CC, but he would only give me $3.75 credit for all 9. Vol.11 wasn't on the list, but Vol. 10 is.

Gonna try a different EB today at lunch. Hopefully have better luck.[/QUOTE]

SUCCESS!! Though YMMV. I went to another EB and they had one flyer still at the door. Brought it up to the CSR and told him I wanted in on the deal. He said that the deal was supposed to end on the 7th and that it was a typo. Another CSR(maybe DM?) heard this and told him that since the flyer was still up there that they HAD to honor the deal, even after reading email about cancelling offer.

What sucks is I didn't trade in all the jampacks, I took some games that I knew would work for the deal, and left the remaining jampacks in my truck. I ended up trading 4 jampacks(vol. 10 and 11) and NBA Street vol.2(XB), Manhunt(PS2) and Top Spin(XB).

Though all 4 jampacks showed POX on the screen, he still gave me $10 credit for each. And also $10 credit for the other games(not POX). I left with Ape Escape and Soccer and got gift receipts, so gonna go to different EB and get credit. Extremely YMMV. They said that the deal will be no good tomorrow.

[quote name='Escobar4Life']I just called 2 EB's today and one said the deal is still going. The thing is, I'm gonna trade in the games and get a PSP game. I really don't want the PSP games listed on the promotion. But I'm gonna exchange it in another store (like Walmart/Target).[/QUOTE]

No, you are not supposed to return games to a different store. If you get it at EB, you return it to EB.

bread's done
Back