Def Jam Icon (Demo on XBL Now!)

[quote name='panasonic']whats aki?[/quote]
Its the fighting engine that old wwf and wcw games used to use. It was used in both def jam games that were released.

This game sucks hard. It's so basic; punch, punch, grab, throw, turntable, repeat.

I loved the first def jam, thought the second one was pretty good, but this one is terrible. The styling is okay, but the gameplay isn't there.

Wow, maybe I'm the only one who really enjoyed this demo? Sure, it could have used a tutorial fight because there's certainly a lot to wrap your head around. But once I started figuring a few things out, the game is just fun. I'm actually looking forward to this one now where I was on the fence about it before. I'm not a huge rap fan, but the series has always been fun and being able to use my own music pretty much seals the deal for me.

To everyone saying they're not going to d/l the demo based on opinions here...that's just silly. D/l the demo, maybe you'll like it & maybe you won't, but at least make up your own mind. :)

[quote name='Mex25']Its the fighting engine that old wwf and wcw games used to use. It was used in both def jam games that were released.[/QUOTE]

Negative.

It's the developer behind the old WWF/WCW N64, Def Jam games.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']This could be the worst next-gen game yet.[/QUOTE]
Have you played Bomberman 360? :whistle2:#

I just saw the full roster, and I'm unimpressed. They could have gone big, but not even close. No Kanye, no Jay-Z, no Snoop, I look at that list and it doesn't impress me. Big Boi, but no Andre? Would have made more sense if it was 2on2 fights, but come one guys. And to think that I was still hopeful.

[quote name='Sporadic']Negative.

It's the developer behind the old WWF/WCW N64, Def Jam games.[/QUOTE]
They also created Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, which is still heralded as one of the greatest wrestling games ever seven years after its release.

Anyone else pick it up? I was the main opposer of this game, but after playing it more and more, I got into it and started understanding the turntable stuff and it's actually a hell of a lot of fun. There's a versus mode where you can disable the turntable shit, but I don't think you can on XBox Live. You can probably pick up a used copy cheap in a week or so, since most people won't like it, but after giving it some time and trying to understand the beat and turntable stuff, I like it.

I do wish there were more moves than the punch punch kick stuff though. The environment is crazy. There's one level that's in an apartment-ish level and I threw Lil Jon into the fireplace and the glass around it broke and the fire started slowly spreading across the room, up the wall, on the ceiling, then on the curtains and all over the room. The graphics and environment on this are insane. The create a person mode is good as well, they use facial morphing. There's an insane amount of hair style and facial hair style options.

yea, i read the gamespot review and it actually sparked my interest for this game once again...i don't wanna try the demo again, but may pick this up in a trade or if there is a deal

Story mode's the same as FFNY (this is not a bad thing). There's a clothes shop, tatoo shop, barber shop, and jewelry shop. There's several fighting styles and you can change up before each fight, so I think it's safe to say that those can be unlocked. There's little clues as to how weak your fighter is, just like Fight Night. The color of the screen will get darker and it'll zoom in on the fighter with the low health.

//edit: Wow, Gamespot's review.. 8.1

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/defjam3/review.html?sid=6167022

[quote name='swetooth9']yea, i read the gamespot review and it actually sparked my interest for this game once again...i don't wanna try the demo again, but may pick this up in a trade or if there is a deal[/QUOTE]
Same here. Waiting for some more impressions from other people though.

8.1?! Wow, I thought the game didn't even deserve anything above a 6. I guess I might give this one a rental because the demo was horrible.

[quote name='Mex25']8.1?! Wow, I thought the game didn't even deserve anything above a 6. I guess I might give this one a rental because the demo was horrible.[/quote]
don't bother they didn't make the fighting more responsive at all so you will still hate it

[quote name='panasonic']don't bother they didn't make the fighting more responsive at all so you will still hate it[/quote]
Screw the rental then. I guess I'll just stick with Def Jam FFNY.

[quote name='Scorch']ANYONE try it out yet? I can't be the only person that's bought or rented this.[/quote]

CAG 79 also has it and says that the demo does not do it justice and that the single player mode is fun as hell

but, no, personally, i have not been able to get my hands on it (but would love to)

I seen this at my local wal-mart for both the 360 and ps3. Needless to say I didn't pick it up, with the likes of GRAW 2 and motorstorm out this week and GoW 2 next week, I'll save my $60 for another purchase.

I was actually disappointed wal-mart had Icon, but didn't have either graw or motorstorm.

I guess thats the good ol EA advantage.

Yeah I picked it up and I'm having a lot of fun with it actually. The controls definitely have a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of things it's all good. The create-a-character is way more detailed than NBA Street Homecourt. The career mode is interesting as well. Overall while it's not the same as previous Def Jam games, this one is still a fun game on its own right. I do not regret my purchase and I know that this will be a game that my friends are going to want to play when they come over.

I also have to mention the voiceovers.. they're fantastic, especially in season mode. None of the lines feel forced (thus far), which is good. I'm also having a lot of fun with it.

[quote name='Scorch']I also have to mention the voiceovers.. they're fantastic, especially in season mode. None of the lines feel forced (thus far), which is good. I'm also having a lot of fun with it.[/quote]

I didnt' even think you'd give it a chance since you commented this before:

[quote name='Scorch']I cannot WAIT to see how bad this game ends up being.[/quote]

Good to know its a great game though, I love when games look disappointing and turn out to be hits more so than when games are hyped up and suck ass.

The main thing holding me back is the roster of vain hip-hop artists.

Alright, I'm going up against a bunch of people who have never played this before in a tournament tomorrow. Any tips for a noob at it to crush them? I've only played the demo briefly.

To my surprise its actually decent compared to the demo.

I still like Def Jam 2 over it cause the combat mechanics are better IMO.

I find the music to be funny as fuck cause the lyrics are fucking stupid.

I have to say that the designers(yay Chicago) from my hometown did
a fanfuckingtastic job in the graphics dept.

The demo did grow on me after a while so I've been waiting to see what the final reviews had to say. Glad to hear that it didn't turn out too bad. I'm still going to wait until it hits the $40 mark.

Damn Fry's has this (and NBA street) on sale for $48 this weekend...guess I'm gonna have to see for myself if it's "better than the demo". If all else fails, I'll put it up on ebay next week and break even (same goes for street).

If anyone wants to beat up on a noob this weekend (in this or street) send an invite...thx.

[quote name='DomLando']A couple of reviews and impressions from people have re sparked my interest in this game. Are there any current deals?[/QUOTE]

I paid full price for it at Target but I got a free $10 Gift Card with my purchase so it kind of makes the game $50.

Edit: Yeah I checked Speedy's post on this week's video game deals and here it is:

Def Jam: ICON >>>> XBOX 360 / PS3 >>>> $59.99 **** Available 3/8/07

****Free $10 Target gift card with purchase of either Def Jam: Icon or Street: Homecourt for XBOX 360 or PS3 game systems // Quantities limited // No rain checks

[quote name='toper']Damn Fry's has this (and NBA street) on sale for $48 this weekend...guess I'm gonna have to see for myself if it's "better than the demo". If all else fails, I'll put it up on ebay next week and break even (same goes for street).

If anyone wants to beat up on a noob this weekend (in this or street) send an invite...thx.[/quote]

i have street and def jam is pending in...i'll play you in both, i believe you are already on my FL too :)

[quote name='CAG 79']I paid full price for it at Target but I got a free $10 Gift Card with my purchase so it kind of makes the game $50.

Edit: Yeah I checked Speedy's post on this week's video game deals and here it is:[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

[quote name='swetooth9']i have street and def jam is pending in...i'll play you in both, i believe you are already on my FL too :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll definitely look you up when I get these...I had the chance to get them today, but I couldn't pull the trigger (still want to spend time with GRAW2)...I'll probably bite on one of them before the Fry's sale is over.

bread's done
Back