Def Jam Rapstar - Needz moar Old Skool

shieryda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Just got this game, and it so bad azzzzzzzzzz. The setlist is amazing, and there are several songs available for dlc now, too.

http://www.defjamrapstar.com/

Chivos:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/def-jam-rapstar/achievements/

If any of you have some personal videos, feel free to upload them here!:D

New DLC:

2/22/2011

Crada - Understanding
Shuko - Fire
Koujdo - Pression
Trackdilla - Bad Mood

2/15/2011

Deichkind - Limit
Common - The Light
Backpack Pack
Tailb Kweli - Get By
Mos Def - Ms. Fat Booty

2/8/2011

T.I. - Whatever You Like
Fast Life Yungstaz - Swag Surfin'
Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
Far East Movement - Like a G6
Party Pack

1/27/2011

Ill Blu - Shut This Down
S-X Beats - Power
ASD - Sneak Preview

1/20/2011

Die Fantastischen Vier - MFG
Marteria - Zum König Geboren
DJ Khaled - Go Hard
Sexion d'Assaut - Désolé

1/18/2011

Lloyd Banks - Beamer, Benz, or Bentley
N-Dubz - Papa Can U Hear Me
LL Cool J - Luv U Better
Plies - Shawty

12/14/2010

DJ Khaled - Go Hard
DJ Khaled - I'm So Hood
DJ Khaled - All I Do Is Win
The Runners - We Run This (freestyle track)

11/16/2010

Black Sheep - The Choice is Yours ("You can get with this, or you can get with that.")
Kanye West - Jesus Walks
Eve - Who's That Girl
Young Money - Every Girl
Nitti Beatz - Robbin Cru (freestyle track)
Just Blaze - Cape Kingz Anthem (freestyle track)

11/9/2010

Ghostface Killah - Cherchez LaGhost
Raekon - Ice Cream
Method Man & Redman - How High
Wu Tang Clan - Protect Your Neck
9th Wonder - IWW
DJ Premier - Dots

11/2/2010

DJ Khalil - The 15th
Rick Ross - Hustlin'
Foxy Brown - Get Me Home
Danja - Stadium Status
Flo Rida - Right Round
Drake - Over

10/26/2010

Warren G - Regulate
Geto Boyz - Mind Is Playin' Tricks On Me
Soulja Boy - Crank That
Timbaland w/Drake - Say Something
LL Cool J - Around The Way Girl
Kanye West - Can't Tell Me Nothing
Gucci Mane - Wasted
Black Eyed Peas - My Humps
Cool & Dre - Lavish (*freestyle track*)
Bangladesh - Tango Cash (*freestyle track*)
Danja - Wyld Money (*freestyle track*)
Nitti Beatz - Playmaker (*freestyle track*)

10/12/2010

Lil Wayne - Got Money
Fabolous - Make Me Better
Shawty Lo - Dey Know
Young Dro – Shoulder Lean

10/5/2010

Maino - All The Above
Dorrough - Ice Cream Paint Job
DJ Khaled - I’m So Hood (Remix)
Chamillionaire - Ridin
Rich Boy – Throw Some D’s
Luniz - I Got 5 On It
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full
DMX - Party Up

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shieryda']Just got this game, and it so bad azzzzzzzzzz. The setlist is amazing, and there are several songs available for dlc now, too.

http://www.defjamrapstar.com/

If any of you have some personal videos, feel free to upload them here!:D[/QUOTE]

I haven't been following this title. Is it anything at all like the awesome Def Jam Fight for NY, or is it more like the terribad Def Jam Icon?

Its basically a hip hop karaoke game...think Singstar with just classic(and a few non classic) hip hop music..you'll have a blast if you a fan of the old school hip hop as i'm in love with it, but i did wish they made a game like Fight for NY again

[quote name='dramasetter929']Its basically a hip hop karaoke game...think Singstar with just classic(and a few non classic) hip hop music..you'll have a blast if you a fan of the old school hip hop as i'm in love with it, but i did wish they made a game like Fight for NY again[/QUOTE]

Gotcha gotcha. Sounds interesting. Kinda weird that they used the Def Jam moniker for pretty much a different genre.

Beat me to it. It has been a couple of weeks since release so I was going to make a Rock Band style thread for this ("Def Jam Rapstar - Am I the only one that bought this?")

Yeah it's basically just a genre-focused karaoke game, but there are some fun bells & whistles and the on-disc track selection is REALLY strong. It's mildly fun by yourself, but this game is AWESOME with friends. Endless hilarity. The community videos are about what you'd expect - suburban white kids mumbling through "I Get Around" on their couch, but occasionally you find one somebody actually put some time into.

Some of the "mapping" on songs is a little suspect ("I put onnnnnnnnnnnn EAST SIDE I put onnnnnnnnnnnn WEST SIDE I put onnnnnnnnnnnn SOUTH SIDE" - how the fuck are you supposed to do that in one breath? It's broken up in the song!) but it's certainly not a dealbreaker.

i messaged the development team on Twitter and they said they said they should be having DLC out on an almost weekly basis for the forseeable future, and based on what they have so far that is good news.

Really though, check out the tracklist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Def_Jam_Rapstar ("It Was a Good Day" is in the game but not on the list for some reason). If that list interests you at all and you're not adverse to occasionally running out of breath in front of your friends, I can't recommend this game enough.

If you're a lyricist in Rock Band/GH, this would be a great game, and more of a challenge.

But didn't Get on Da Mic flop?

It'll be interesting to see how this'll do.

Yeah, I hope it does well enough, if for no other reason than it'll mean more DLC over the next few months. I don't expect anything near Rock Band level of support obviously, but I'll take whatever I can get.

One thing I didn't mention, I do think they did a pretty good job with the scoring/recognition system. Unlike Rock Band where I can mumble on-pitch and still get 100%, if I do that here it WILL mark your lyrics percentage down. My score actually feels like a pretty accurate representation of how well I did.

This brings up the problem of possibly not being able to 5 star a song if you don't know it - no way in hell I'm even getting close to passing that Drake song anytime soon, as I've never heard it and I'm not exactly interested in learning it. Someday I'll learn enough of it to squeak by.

I have been on the fence. I love these type of games but as a fan of hiphop I am disappointed in the lyrics being censored; even heard, the DLC is censored. I will say if the developer keeps up the trend of DLC (6+ tracks to choose from) I will be joining in on the fun. Let's see what this week brings.

10/12
Fabolous - Make Me Better
Dorrough - Ice Cream Paint Job
Shorty Lo - Dey Know
Rich Boy - Throw Some D's
Lil' Wayne - Got Money
Young Dro - Shoulder Lean

10/5
Flo Rida - Low
Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight
Mims - This is Why I'm Hot
P Diddy - Bad Boy for Life
Pharcyde - Passin' Me By
New Boyz - You're a Jerk
Clipse - Grindin
Maino - All The Above
DMX - Party Up
Luniz - I Got 5 On It
Chamillionaire - Ridin'
Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full :D
DJ Khaled - I'm So Hood (Remix)

Hmm... that set list is making a potential purchase somewhat tempting right now. Just enough quality for me to have faith in the DLC offerings though the lack of Skee-Lo is a bit insulting (at least to me =P). You can't have Phar's "Passin' Me By" without "Runnin'" either BUT they did give us Tribe's "Scenario" which is a huge surprise. I wasn't expecting any songs from either of them. God bless whoever had the good sense to add that classic Mary & Meth joint from the 90s as well. I haven't heard that years.

My back log is filling up as it is... but if the right deal and DLC shows up I might bite. ;\

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']though the lack of Skee-Lo is a bit insulting (at least to me =P).[/QUOTE]
Ha! I just requested that via Twitter last night. Good call.

I only heard about this game a month ago, but I really want it. I now want it even more after seeing videos a couple friends made. When you consider the fact that I lie music games and making an ass of myself, and that this was my Facebook picture for a while:

n680884934_650787_6495.jpg

You can probably see the appeal for me. Too bad so many great games are coming out or have come out this fall. I'll be waiting till 2011 for Def Jam unless an amazing deal comes along. It looks so fun, though!

Is Skee-Lo the dude that did that song that went, "I wish I was a little bit taller; I wish I was a baller; I wish I had a girl who looked good- I would call her"?

[quote name='GuardianE']Gotcha gotcha. Sounds interesting. Kinda weird that they used the Def Jam moniker for pretty much a different genre.[/QUOTE]

Well Def Jam is a record label

[quote name='62t']Well Def Jam is a record label[/QUOTE]

Yeah, to further that, the use of the name on the fighting games had nothing to do with the genre of the games, but WHO was in them. They were mostly Def Jam rappers.

the-more-you-know.jpg

:)

[quote name='Matt Young']I only heard about this game a month ago, but I really want it. I now want it even more after seeing videos a couple friends made. When you consider the fact that I lie music games and making an ass of myself, and that this was my Facebook picture for a while:

n680884934_650787_6495.jpg

You can probably see the appeal for me. Too bad so many great games are coming out or have come out this fall. I'll be waiting till 2011 for Def Jam unless an amazing deal comes along. It looks so fun, though!

Is Skee-Lo the dude that did that song that went, "I wish I was a little bit taller; I wish I was a baller; I wish I had a girl who looked good- I would call her"?[/QUOTE]

L.O.L. @ that fucking picture. Co-op is an absolute must if I pick this up. Ab-so-lute.

Anyway... Skee is indeed that dude. Sadly he's only known as a 90s one hit wonder for his single "I Wish" which is a god damn shame because his debut album was in my humble opinion an underrated gem. A must listen.

Heh you know I'm down for that shit. Just have to resist the urge of bombarding them with a thick list of golden era classics they probably aren't likely to consider thus crushing my soul in the process. ;(

I swear though the split second I see some Das Efx and more Wu pop up on that DLC list... it's on.

I still need to register for the site so I can upload my own videos and post on forums, etc. If they keep supporting this game, I will keep buying the dlc (hoping for more Run DMC, Beasties and LL Cool J).

One thing that I noticed on Saturday when I was battling my friend is that even though we were both signed in to Live, only his gamertag showed up as one of the players (he played as "Player 2", and I got him some good gamerscore). This is a widely-reported issue in this mode, so they had better patch it soon.

if there were going to be a large selection of underground songs, this would be awesome.

is lil waynes cd coming with the game? i read somewhere it might.

[quote name='DestroVega']if there were going to be a large selection of underground songs, this would be awesome.

is lil waynes cd coming with the game? i read somewhere it might.[/QUOTE]

I just bought it at Best Buy tonight. When you buy the game (I got the Game Only version as I have mics), bring up a copy of Lil' Wayne's new album and it will ring out as FREE.

I'm stunned at the amount of Skee-Lo love here. "I Wish" was aiight but...wow!

Anyway, I'm hoping to see this on sale by Christmas. It would be fun to play with my sisters (in law) making asses of ourselves on camera (It *does* support the XBL Vision cam right?).

As for the setlist, it's okay. "I Get Around" used to be our crew's theme music, 'Every hero should have some' (bonus for placing the quote). Love that they snuck Slick Rick in there. And the DLC has the rap-weed anthem "I Got 5 on it" (too bad it's not the Remix version). But it's surprising that there is *no* Jay-Z anywhere to be found. I'm not the hugest Jay-Z fan in the world (I think Nas killed him in there 'feud' and despite his claims to be "a writer not a biter" he's copped lyrics from more than a few) but he's one of the biggest stars in the rap game and has connections to Def Jam. Were things that sour when he stepped down from CEO? Or are they just planning a mega Jay-Z DLC? I mean, I have no love for NYC at all, but that "Empire State of Mind" is hot shit. They missed an opportunity not having that in the game.

BTW: Do the "Lips" wireless mics work with the game?

[quote name='KaneRobot']I didn't even think to do that - not that I wanted the album but I suppose I could have dumped it off for 5 bucks or something. Oh well. They definitely don't promote the fact that you get the album free.
[/QUOTE]

I saw it on the official Rapstar website. If I didn't, there was nowhere else I saw the deal; even the guy at Customer Service who I asked to try it said he hadn't heard about this before.

I was somewhat interested in this game, but the fact that there were like 8 songs out as DLC day one kind of pissed me off, and now that I know all the songs are edited, I'd definitely say it's a $20 or less game.

Glad to hear it's at least accurate with scoring

I really don't think you'll have to wait long. I couldn't resist getting it early (especially because I had a $20 gift card), but I bet this'll be down to 40 bucks around December. Probably less once the New Year rolls around.

[quote name='lordopus99']I saw it on the official Rapstar website. If I didn't, there was nowhere else I saw the deal; even the guy at Customer Service who I asked to try it said he hadn't heard about this before.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, should have clarified...I saw it on the site but when I was actually in Best Buy there was nothing indicating that you get the album free with purchase.

I have begun the push for Skee-Lo in DJR by responding:

http://twitter.com/defjamrapstar/status/27854833493

Bring it, people!

No DLC yesterday it appears, although the XBox website got an overhaul last night and now it just gives me an error when I've checked so far today.

*EDIT* they responded to the Skee-Lo request. Keep the dream alive for now, folks.

Haha, that track is a classic
&
Keep checking the DLC, you might get your wish.

Channel Zero? If they put up another Public Enemy song, it fo sho should be "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" (I got a letter from the government/the other day/ I opened and read it/ And it said they were suckas!)

Also, I'd love to hear news of the true Eric B. and Rakim classic "Microphone Fiend" (After twelve, I'm worse than a Gremlin/ Feed me Hip-Hop and I'll start tremblin'). And if they wanted to dump the whole albums of "Raising Hell" by Run-DMC or "Southerplayeristicadillacmuzik" by Outkast, I certainly wouldnt be mad at them.

Let us not forget Gang Starr. And Special Ed.

Coming soon: Form a crew, take on the world!

If you guys want to start a CAG crew, let me know and I'll set it up. My Rapstar Community user name is Shydog.

The Rapstar site shows 19 tracks available for dlc (including Geto Boys' "Mind is Playing Tricks on Me"), but xbox.com only lists 12. Lame.:cry:

[quote name='shieryda']The Rapstar site shows 19 tracks available for dlc (including Geto Boys' "Mind is Playing Tricks on Me"), but xbox.com only lists 12. Lame.:cry:[/QUOTE]

I wanted to pretend I was in office space so I could sing "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta"

You can add the curse words while you rhyme (they're just blank spaces in the lyrics). I know it's not the same thing, but the game is still quite fun.

A few of my wants...
Black Sheep - The Choice Is Yours
Dr. Dre - fuck wit Dre Day
More LL Cool J... prefer either Rock the Bells or Going Back to Cali
Digital Underground - Humpty Dance
Big Daddy Kane - Set It Off

Where did you see these additional new tracks on Rapstar's website? I only see the ones that are on xbox.com.

[quote name='shieryda']The Rapstar site shows 19 tracks available for dlc (including Geto Boys' "Mind is Playing Tricks on Me"), but xbox.com only lists 12. Lame.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Where are you seeing this? I looked in the downloadable section of defjamrapstar.com and still just see the tracks released so far. Whatever you're seeing are probably announced tracks that aren't out on the marketplace yet, similar to how Rock Band announced stuff on Friday and releases Tuesday.

[quote name='lordopus99']A few of my wants...

Black Sheep - The Choice Is Yours[/QUOTE]

YES.

A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing is one of my all time favorite albums.

[quote name='shieryda']http://www.defjamrapstar.com/news/

I swear to you that I saw Geto Boys on there right before I posted earlier. It's not there now, though.[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok. Just noticed this on Twitter:

There is a delay on the DLC and we don't have updated information yet. We will let you know when we know more!

Can't wait for the Geto Boys song though. Instant purchase.

[quote name='hostyl1']"This year Halloween fell on a weekend..."

And it totally does ;)[/QUOTE]

I seriously watched that video like 10 times today at work. I crack up everytime Bushwick jumps up to punch that guy in the face.

[quote name='shieryda']A dude at wor told me that Bushwic is dead now. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

Not according to Wikipedia. Whew.

ARGH these sons of bitches...I have RB3 sitting right in front of me, just delivered, and now I see there's DLC up that I'm tempted to get at first. So, SO in for "Mind Is Playin' Tricks On Me" and "Regulate."

New songs:
Warren G - Regulate
Geto Boyz - Mind Is Playin' Tricks On Me
Soulja Boy - Crank That
Timbaland w/Drake - Say Something
LL Cool J - Around The Way Girl
Kanye West - Can't Tell Me Nothing
Gucci Mane - Wasted
Black Eyed Peas - My Humps
Cool & Dre - Lavish (*freestyle track*)
Bangladesh - Tango Cash (*freestyle track*)
Danja - Wyld Money (*freestyle track*)
Nitti Beatz - Playmaker (*freestyle track*)

God I hate that LL song. I'd welcome more of his stuff as long as it's pre-91.

That's a pretty damn awesome week, though.

bread's done
Back