Defense Grid: The Awakening - $5 on Steam until May 13 - 75% off!

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)

- Reviews - 82% on Metacritic
- Demo
- Buy it on Steam here

It's not even the weekend yet (and I'm sure there'll be yet another sale on Friday), and Steam is here yet again to take more of your money, with yet another awesome sale.

From indie developer Hidden Path, Defense Grid: The Awakening is tower defense game with real production values, featuring excellent 3D graphics, really fun and highly-accessable TD gameplay, and, believe it or not, a really interesting plot, presented through excellent writing and voice acting. Steam Achievements fans, it includes plenty of those too. It's one of my favorite games in the genre, and highly personally reccomended, by yours truly.

It's only available through digital distribution, and normally, it sells for $19.99. It's been on sale for $9.99 before, and I thought that that was a pretty good deal right there. For $5 even, it's an absolute steal.

This totally makes up for last week's totally boring weekend sale (40% off HAWX). And it's only Wednesday! Can't wait till Friday, to see what the weekend deal is this time. Steam and their partners just keep knocking 'em out of the park with these incredible weekend sales, week after week after week.

Last edited by a moderator:
NOOOOO. You posted right as i was creating my thread. YOU BASTARD. Nah, jk. I'll close mine.

Anyway, the game is great fun and pretty addicting. It's also got steam achievements and stat tracking and stuff. Well worth $5.

damn for $5.. at least I have a week to think about it. I just got Plants vs Zombies which to me feels like a tower defense game so I may pass just b/c money is money =) we'll see what the weekend deal is I suppose

thanks though OP

I guess the wait for it to get cheaper pays off. I wonder would I get too much tower defenses when I get this and Plants vs. Zombies...

[quote name='Destromas']You are fucking kidding me. I bought this like a week ago. God DAMMIT.[/QUOTE]
Bummer. Honestly, looking at it, I usually only buy games on Steam, when there is some sort of sale or deal sweetening the offer. Literally every single purchase I have made on Steam so far this year, has been some sort of deal or sale (free Heavy Weapon with Plants vs Zombies preorder, 25% off Killing Floor preorder, $2.49 Slamit Pinball, $2.49 Ghost Master, $10 Ubisoft Classic Pack, $3.75 Oddworld Pack, $10 Zeno Clash preorder, $7.50 Mount&Blade, and $5 X-Com Pack).

[quote name='WormFOODx']Just bought. Thanks OP! Now keep a watch for any drops on Plants vs. Zombies. :D[/QUOTE]
Heh, you'll probably be waiting a while on that one. PvZ is totally worth $10, if you want my 2 cents. By the way, PvZ is now included in the Popcap Complete Collection, which is still $100, and includes EVERY game Popcap has on Steam; 30 in all. I've been tempted to get that pack one day myself, as I love Popcap games...

[quote name='Over easy']I guess the wait for it to get cheaper pays off. I wonder would I get too much tower defenses when I get this and Plants vs. Zombies...[/QUOTE]
Heh, yeah, this has been a very, very tower defense-y week for me, so far. I have PvZ as well (though I'm holding off on playing it tooo much; I'm waiting for the shortly forthcoming Achievements patch).

[quote name='basis']does this have co-op & achieves? :)[/QUOTE]

No multiplayer. Yes achievements (and detailed stats, similar to TF2 or L4D).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No multiplayer. Yes achievements (and detailed stats, similar to TF2 or L4D).[/quote]

thanks. darn wish it had co-op :(

[quote name='basis']thanks. darn wish it had co-op :([/quote]

This game would piss me off if it had co-op. Once you get the hang of it and know what spots are effective where, you'll probably agree with me.

[quote name='basis']thanks. darn wish it had co-op :([/QUOTE]

Well, I promise you, there is five bucks worth of singleplayer fun in it. :)

Remember to try the demo, if you're on the fence.

In for $5. (I was waiting for a sale like this. Damn you Steam!)

The demo was incredibly fun; played it three times before uninstalling.

Edit: I also noticed that EA dropped the price of Battleforge from $50-->$30 even though it came out like two weeks ago on Steam. Sucks for the people who paid full price.

Bought it for $15 during the holiday sale, would have paid 20 for it, not annoyed that it's now 5.

Excellent game, one of the most polished TDs out there.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Yea, they also just dropped Mirror's Edge down to $20. Prices keep dropping left and right![/QUOTE]

Warhammer Online, Spore, and Dead Space have each dropped $10, as well.

Unfortunately, the EA game on Steam I want the most at the moment, Burnout Paradise, hasn't budged. Oh, well.

Also, Smashing Toys and MLB Front Office Manager have also dropped $10 each. Don't play Smashing Toys, though. It sucks.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'] Don't play Smashing Toys, though. It sucks.[/QUOTE]

Aw, I was kinda looking forward to that. Reminded me of Wacky Wheels. Anybody who remembers Wacky Wheels gets an achievement.

Thanks to the OP for this notice. About time I tried one of them newfangled "defense tower" games all the kids are raging about these days.

This and PoP for under $32 in one day. That's why I love/hate this place.

i got plants vs zombies too /threadjack, hope u used plants10 for 10% off

checking this out now, thx

@#24 pixeljunk monsters on psn?

(Already said this in a thread in the PSP forum) Want a tower defense game for the PSP or my laptop, and this looks like the best one available. Played the demo and think it's great, so I bought it without hesitation. Sony needs to get some tower defense games out on the PSP. I'm sure the PixelJunkMonsters game will be cool, and I'll definitely buy it if I'm not sick of this type of game by then, but it's a long wait.

My new Toshiba laptop can't run this game at full settings without being jerky, so I bumped it down to Medium quality and it plays great while still looking very good. The laptop only cost $400 from Newegg, so I'm not suprised that it's having a little bit of trouble running this, I guess. Probably because of a crappy video card.

[quote name='Destromas']This game would piss me off if it had co-op. Once you get the hang of it and know what spots are effective where, you'll probably agree with me.[/quote]

still would of been nice if it had the option. I really liked the multiplayer TD maps in WC3 so singleplayer doesnt hold the same appeal.

I think it was a huge oversite for them to leave it out myself. I know i personally was ready to buy it at full price until i saw that it had no multiplayer.

[quote name='anathema728']I think it was a huge oversite for them to leave it out myself.[/QUOTE]

Please don't confuse an occasion where a small indie developer with limited resources chose to make a game within their means to successfully execute (which means that they couldn't necessarily do everything under the sun, and no doubt had to make difficult decisions about what features [such as multiplayer] to include, and which were not feasible), with "oversight."

I take similar issue with people who complained that Zeno Clash wasn't an Oblivion-sized free-roaming RPG with player-vs-player multiplayer modes, and who accused the developers of that game of "oversight" (or worse, in some cases).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Please don't confuse an occasion where a small indie developer with limited resources chose to make a game within their means to successfully execute (which means that they couldn't necessarily do everything under the sun, and no doubt had to make difficult decisions about what features [such as multiplayer] to include, and which were not feasible), with "oversight."

I take similar issue with people who complained that Zeno Clash wasn't an Oblivion-sized free-roaming RPG with player-vs-player multiplayer modes, and who accused the developers of that game of "oversight" (or worse, in some cases).[/QUOTE]

Agreed, these guys are limited so they make what they can make the best.

defense grid is freaking awesome and it controls better with a 360 controller since i guess it was geared more for 360

[quote name='Nelo Ice']defense grid is freaking awesome and it controls better with a 360 controller since i guess it was geared more for 360[/QUOTE]

The 360 version still isn't out, strangely. It's still in the works, as far as I know...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
I take similar issue with people who complained that Zeno Clash wasn't an Oblivion-sized free-roaming RPG with player-vs-player multiplayer modes, and who accused the developers of that game of "oversight" (or worse, in some cases).[/quote]

You want a legit complaint about Zeno Clash's devs? How about the fact that they didn't release a demo until after the pre-order sale & kept me from knowing how cool a game ZC was and snagging it for less $.

The Defense Grid demo, of course, convinced me that the game is certainly worth >$5 (to return to the topic at hand).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The 360 version still isn't out, strangely. It's still in the works, as far as I know...[/quote]

its still in development ign just posted a preview 2 days ago
was gonna wait to pick up that version since i have free points and i thought it would have more features like peggle xbla but $5 is too good to pass up and i was willing to pick it up $10

just like world of goo i wouldve bit at $10 but once again steam makes it even cheaper than i thought:hot:

Ill look into this game but damn @ Mirror's edge. I love the game but I just got it on ps3 like a week ago. I would have bought the PC version easily if it had been 20 at the time >.>

For anyone who wishes Defense Grid had multiplayer, check this out. As of right now, the game has 57 achievements. Well, if you look at the achievements stats ranking page for the game, there is a new 58th achievement listed at the bottom...:
http://steamcommunity.com/stats/DefenseGrid:Awakening/achievements/

Pic for those too lazy to follow links:
92382403.png

Putting two and two together, it would appear that they're adding some sort of online play to the game, and testing out at least one new achievement right now!

This is AWESOME!

[quote name='cheapo72']You want a legit complaint about Zeno Clash's devs? How about the fact that they didn't release a demo until after the pre-order sale & kept me from knowing how cool a game ZC was and snagging it for less $.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can chalk up them not having a demo ready for the same reason I explained before: they didn't have the resources to prepare a demo before launch (preparing a demo can take a lot more work than you might think). They were working up to the last second, it seems.

I already bought this for $10 from Direct2Drive, but I picked up a couple of extra copies today for some friends. Let's hope multiplayer comes to pass!

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Putting two and two together, it would appear that they're adding some sort of online play to the game, and testing out at least one new achievement right now!

This is AWESOME![/QUOTE]

Excellent find, I'll have to buy this for my little brother instead of sharing now.

For an extra $5, I've been hearing Plants vs. Zombies is the better tower defense game. I'll decide by tomorrow which to purchase...

[quote name='Hostile']For an extra $5, I've been hearing Plants vs. Zombies is the better tower defense game. I'll decide by tomorrow which to purchase...[/quote]

why not get both?
thats what i did :D well i got plants vs zombies when they were giving out heavy weapon but anyway theyre both worth it regardless

I actually was going to purchase this when it was $10, but waited too long and the price went back up. I'm going to pick it up for $5. To get this and PVZ for $15 is going to satisfy my healthy desktop tower defense game appetite for a while. I'm really digging PVZ, it is well worth $10 and simplifies some elements when compared to Pixel Junk Monsters. PVZ has a TON of variable compared to PJM though.

[quote name='Hostile']For an extra $5, I've been hearing Plants vs. Zombies is the better tower defense game. I'll decide by tomorrow which to purchase...[/QUOTE]

lucky for you there are demos for both. I got PvZ after playing the demo but did not really care for Defense after playing the demo. A $5 saved is still $5 =)

Hmm...I'm not so sure about the art style. I think for me 2D and cuter probably works better for something like this for a variety of reasons.

Activation sucks, but for $5... (I'm with the guy who's only bought stuff super cheap from Steam :D )

I assume the demo's huge, so I'll have to wait for tonight to download it.

EDIT: PC Gamer gave it a 90, which is REALLY high from them (they use more than an 8-10 scale). I thought I'd remembered reading the review recently, but skipped it when I saw "steam".

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Please don't confuse an occasion where a small indie developer with limited resources chose to make a game within their means to successfully execute (which means that they couldn't necessarily do everything under the sun, and no doubt had to make difficult decisions about what features [such as multiplayer] to include, and which were not feasible), with "oversight."

I take similar issue with people who complained that Zeno Clash wasn't an Oblivion-sized free-roaming RPG with player-vs-player multiplayer modes, and who accused the developers of that game of "oversight" (or worse, in some cases).[/quote]

i dont think asking for a multiplayer feature is asking for a lot myself. "Indie" game or not. As i said they would of had my $20 if it had multi.

[quote name='qwerty1']i dont think asking for a multiplayer feature is asking for a lot myself. "Indie" game or not. As i said they would of had my $20 if it had multi.[/quote]Are they going to/ did they get your $5, though?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back